Amazon - Part 08: Charm School Week 4

Printer-friendly version

Synopsis:

The first leg of charm school is done; now it's off to England. Things don't get any simpler, though...

Story:

By Itinerant
Edited by Amelia R

Biographer's Note: This is Nicole's story. It covers those events and people she finds notable in her life and chooses to share. If you have problems with it, take it up with her. I'm just a glorified stenographer.

**********
Monday, January 29, 2001
Somerley

It was amazing! After all the clichés about foggy, rainy England, she was here during *lovely* weather. Not warm by any means, but sunny and dry nonetheless. Nicole left the drapes in her room flung wide, leaving an unobstructed view of the broad expanse of the estate. The tall deciduous trees stood bare in their winter sleep, interspersed with evergreens that provided year-round screening along the perimeter of the house grounds. The grass was brown from cold as the lawn, too, lay dormant. Still, the sky was clear and the sun was rising; a warm, cheery feeling permeated the new day despite the time change she had experienced.

She'd risen early, first taking time to relax in a hot bath. After the comfort she'd gotten from the long soaks in the tub she'd taken during her period, she decided to see how well it worked on jet lag. The water was just on the edge of being too hot, and was fragrant with the bath oil that was provided in the suite. It was all Nicole could do not to just doze off, as the warm water soaked into her muscles.

It wasn't until the water started turning cool that she finally extracted herself from the tub. She'd dressed in comfortable, but feminine, style today; she had chosen a camel-colored, calf-length skirt with a white blouse from her travel collection, and soon was relishing the breakfast provided for the overnight guests in the bright, spacious dining room -- except for the tea, or rather, the lack of good coffee.

There was so little demand for what Nicole considered good coffee that they had had only espresso and tried to make 'normal' coffee from it. She finished the first cup and switched to tea. Half a dozen small tables spread over the near side of the long room, near the door that seemed to lead to the kitchens. She gathered her meal and joined a table with an empty seat. She found the conversations with the other guests at the table during breakfast were, to her surprise, pleasant. There was no real purpose to it, just a pure exercise in socialization. Tom had been as social as the situation demanded, but she found herself slowly warming to the give and take of conversation around the table. The practice she had had with Kate was proving useful, as she'd been able to navigate in the still unfamiliar waters. Now it was as if a long dormant limb was waking, and she felt the desire -- the need -- to flex muscles she'd not used before.

~I wonder how much of this is because of my change, and how much was there all along and just suppressed?~

After the meal, with the sun nicely up and reflecting off the frost-tipped grass, she retrieved her coat and took the time before the start of classes to take a short walk around the grounds. It was all she could manage, as Somerley had no fitness facilities. The air was cool, crisp, and altogether delightful. She found herself humming Fats Domino's "I'm Walkin'" as she briskly made her circuit of part of the wide grounds.

~I don't recall the last time I felt this good,~ she thought to herself. Despite the time change and edge of fatigue, the sunshine left her with such a feeling of delight that it was a temptation to skip along her way..

~Hardly appropriate for the dignified location, and *certainly* not for a Queen!~ A quiet chuckle escaped as she continued her walk in the pale, bright morning sun.

Reluctantly, Nicole returned to the manor house, leaving the pleasant morning behind. She mounted the stairs to the massive doorway of the mansion's grand south wing and was directed by signs to the check-in table. The receptionist logged her in, printing off a schedule and identification badge for the week. "This badge gives you access to most areas of the estate. This map," she handed over another sheet of paper, "shows the areas of the manor that are not open at the moment, as well as where your classes are being held. Do you have any questions?"

Nicole shook her head briefly. "Not at the moment. Should I speak with you or with the instructor if I do have a question?"

She gave the tall American an encouraging smile. "If the question is course related, then speak to the instructor. If you have a question regarding the estate or the vicinity, feel free to ask me."

Nicole thanked her, turned, and headed for her first class. There was a small trickle of other students, some of whom she'd already met, heading for the classroom. She joined the group and engaged in the quiet conversations as they walked along.

*****

The class began with an introduction to the topics for the week, and the attendees were divided into three smaller groups of four for the skills practice. The youthful faces of her classmates, most of them yet to reach twenty, left her feeling more aged than usual. The class would cover several topics each day, though the rest of this day would focus on color analysis for the students. The color choices would form the basis for much of the make-up and clothing class work for the remainder of the week. As the groups ordered themselves in the room, the instructor spoke again.

"Please understand that this grouping is for the entire course. We have only five days, and there is precious little time to waste. We need to begin now; our first topic is 'Color Analysis'. Before we can begin to apply make-up and choose clothing, we must first know which colors to choose, and why."

A whirlwind began to envelop her, as the combination of British dialect and the topic itself spun her away into her own fashion Land of Oz.

"This program bases its color analysis on the 'seasons' model. They are also divided into the cool seasons, Summer and Winter, and the warm seasons, Spring and Autumn. Each season has its unique color ranges.

"The most basic match is to your skin tone. A simple test, one we shall use here, is to use these cloth swatches," she held up two pieces of cloth, one orange and the other magenta, "to determine which category of colors, warm or cool, are most suitable. The orange will be most flattering to a warm toned skin; the magenta is most appropriate for the cool tones."

The lecture continued with a color wheel to demonstrate color relationships, and continued with the interactions between skin color, hair color, and eye color.

Nicole's mind processed the data, comparing and contrasting the new presentation with that she'd gotten from Artemis and, later, from Kate. Her wardrobe, both that which sat in her room here and the remainder back in Virginia, was called into sharper focus as she considered new combinations that had been a closed book before this long trip.

As the bulk of her attention was consumed by the reevaluation of her clothing, a small corner of her mind retained focus on the lecture. She found herself tuning back into the class as the lecture concluded, and the small groups dispersed through the room. They began to utilize the information to categorize the optimal colors of the members.

The groups began their work slowly, as the women took time to introduce themselves to the others around them. Nicole started the round, setting the pattern of name and home.

"I'm Nicole Harrison, and I live near Washington, D.C. in the United States. I was enrolled here by the company I work for to help me handle formal social occasions and international settings." The tall redhead began.

"I'm Janet Ames, from Newcastle. That's along the northeast coast nigh on to the Scottish border." She clarified for the foreigner. Janet was short, slightly overweight, and had short, dishwater blonde hair with hazel eyes; despite her unimposing appearance, her eyes and speech communicated an impressive drive and intelligence.

"I am Nirupama Rao. My father is assigned to the High Commission of India. I was born in New Dehli, but we live in London; I expect you know about where that is." She had hair even longer than Nicole's, reaching the small of her back, and so dark that it looked black. Her eyes were a dark brown that seemed only half a shade lighter than her pupil. She was slim, but not skinny, and of average height. She had an air of relative calm compared to the others in her group.

"Melissa Smith, from Birmingham." Melissa was the tallest of the three, though she still reached only to Nicole's chin. Her skin was a dark, chocolate color, and she had short, curly, black hair and brown eyes. She was reserved and quiet; her voice was soft, and her speech was hesitant.

*****

The class was dismissed for lunch at approximately noon, and Nicole and her group walked out toward the dining room discussing the morning's activities. The brief introductions earlier were now supplemented with more information.

"Miss Harrison? I have a package for you." The receptionist interrupted the conversation and received a baffled look in response.

"A package?" The redhead walked over to the desk where the sizable box sat. It was light for the volume. The blank look was replaced by a look of frustration as she read the contents and the sender.

"I remember now. This is the formal outfit I sent along for this week. Thank you, ma'am." She picked up the box and made a side trip to her room, in the company of her group mates, and made sure the contents were hung properly in the closet.

~I should have packed this stuff with me in the first place. I guess this will give me something to wear for the dance class next week.~

She sighed in resignation as the other women in her group looked over her clothing selection and began to comment on the club outfit from LA. The comments over her green formal gown brought questions about when and where she'd gotten it, and for whom. However annoyed Nicole was with Artemis, the selection of the gown had been a stroke of fashion genius. It was a modest enough style. Starting just off the shoulders, with long sleeves that covered her arms, the shimmering fabric flowed to the floor in a rich, forest green cascade that outlined her slender form. The color made the warm tones in her skin seem a bit pale in contrast, but at the same time, it made the red of her hair flame even more brightly. The shoes matched the gown's color, and were open-toed with a comparatively low heel; her height made any additional heel unnecessary and even undesirable.

She had the rest of her group wheedling her until she promised to join in the pre-formal-dinner preparation. They'd work together to ensure they all looked their best, and they were determined to get a good look at the American's outfit. Nicole was grateful that she managed not to blush too much as she pondered dressing in front of a group of women. It was one thing to have changed in the same room with Kate, but with a group of near strangers? Still, the extra help would make the preparations easier as Nicole tried to cope with her unruly mop of hair.

*****

The day's class resumed after lunch, and ended shortly before four o'clock so as to permit local students time to head home for tea-time. The manor also provided something for guests, and Nicole spent the time chatting with the other guests about their perceptions of the day's lessons. They were a delightful collection of children -- no, she checked herself, not children -- young women, rather. She had her own set of questions to answer, as she was the strange visitor from the States, but she was able to spend much of the time listening to the conversations of the others and store away the topics, and outlook, of these youngsters who were now considered her peers.

She excused herself following the light meal to change clothing before she made an excursion to the nearby town of Ringwood. This country was far more formal and class conscious,than she'd experienced before; she chose a business style pant suit for her excursion. It would be warmer than a skirt, but still formal enough to project the image she wanted. She'd found herself at the end of her reading material at the close of last evening, and was in desperate need of more. Nicole had heard one of the youngsters commenting on an author she'd recently read, a Barbara Kingsolver. ~Perhaps there's a local bookstore with some of her works.~

It took longer to find a parking place than it had to make the short drive from the manor, and Nicole took a moment to orient herself in the town, now lit only by the street lamps as the last glow of sunset faded in the west. She had to remind herself that she was north even of Toronto now; this time of the year the days were much shorter than anything she was accustomed to, even though the weather was currently warmer than her more southern haunts in the US.

The glow of the lights left the impression of a small, quaint English town -- the sort that most Americans would envision. Her target was a small bookstore, WH Smith, which was located on High Street. The 'car park' where she stood was bordered on the west by 'The Furlong'. The directions she was given indicated that she followed that road south to High Street and the bookstore would be a bit to her left. She zipped up her jacket and began her walk.

*****

She might be in another country, but a bookstore was still familiar territory. In the quiet rows of shelving, with the dusty odor of paper in the air, she could ignore all that had happened over the last two months and just enjoy time with dear, old friends. Dante Alighieri, Tacitus, Homer, Shakespeare, Clarke, Heinlein -- the familiar names of authors and writings she so dearly loved rolled by as she walked through the stacks. Only the knowledge that she was limited in carrying space and budget kept Nicole from restocking her library immediately. There weren't very many people in the store; the chance to browse titles unimpeded was pleasant, but she had almost wished there were more women her age around. It would have been helpful to gather more information. As it was, the hour was getting late if she wanted to make it back before supper; she found one of Kingsolver's works, made her purchase, and started back toward her vehicle.

*****

The shopping trip had been completed, and the woman and her daughter walked in the cool, quiet evening back to their car carrying the bags with their purchases. Their shoes clicked sharply on the concrete sidewalk as they meandered slowly on their way. They took time to window shop as they made their way past the occasional well-lit shop, and the mother pointed out some outfits to her daughter, commenting how pretty she'd look in them.

A heavier set of footfalls came to the woman's attention, and she looked around to see who, or what, might be there. A tall, heavily-built figure had appeared and was moving to head them off from their path to the car park.

Judith's heart raced as she looked around, desperate to find help or an escape route. The opening of an alleyway was nearby, and it ran in the general direction she needed to go. She tightened her grip on Miriam's arm, and the two skittered toward the escape route.

Her heart dropped as she turned the corner; the alley wasn't the one she'd expected. The dim light revealed a brick wall that cut off her path to freedom. She turned back to try again, only to find the bulky figure moving into the entrance.

She cowered back toward the back wall, keeping her child behind her. The shopping bags were abandoned in her slow retreat.

*****

Nicole had just made it back to the corner at 'The Furlong', when she picked up the quiet plea of a woman's voice.

"Please don't hurt us. Take the money, but leave me and my daughter alone."

The voice came from an alley across the presently deserted road, and Nicole swiftly crossed to the entry. Her eyes adjusted to the lower light in the alleyway, and three figures were revealed: A short, dark haired woman, a small child, and a man about Nicole's own height, but much heavier. He was facing away from the alley entrance where the redhead stood, and moved slowly toward the pair before him.

Nicole decided to interrupt. "Pardon me, but they did ask nicely." Her voice hardened. "Leave those two alone." She quickly closed the distance between the man and herself as she spoke.

Startled, the man turned to face the source of the sound. He'd made it halfway around when the Amazon was sufficiently near to reach out and pluck the pipe from his grip.

"Now then, you can leave peaceably, or I get some exercise with this pipe of yours." She swung the object lightly, making her choice clear.

The thug goggled at the tall redhead as the air whistled across the end of the swiftly moving pipe, as if it were part of an organ. He shook the injured fingers that had held the pipe and had been abraded by its removal from his grip. He was, as most thugs are, fundamentally a bully and a coward. He decided that discretion was in order, as he didn't care to take the chance that he'd wind up the prey for once. He'd willingly pick on those he was certain would be helpless to defend themselves. This woman, slender as she appeared, was *not* in that category. He'd never seen the hand that had flashed out to take the pipe until the deed was done and she held his weapon. He lumbered out of the alley and vanished.

"Thank you!" said a voice from behind Nicole as she watched the mugger depart. She turned to look back at the pair, finally able to spare attention enough to notice details. The woman -- the mother, Nicole assumed -- was short, perhaps five foot, two inches in height. The darkness concealed most details of her clothing; she wore a coat against the cold, and a skirt or dress judging by the lack of pant legs. Her hair was either short, or piled up on her head. Her face, what could be seen of it, was smooth and unlined. The child, her daughter it seemed, as she was dressed in the same fashion as her mother, was perhaps three feet tall.

The queen dropped the pipe onto the pavement, flinching slightly at the clang it made. She was grateful that she hadn't had to intervene more forcefully and create an English version of her beach incident. "It was my pleasure. Are you and your daughter all right?"

The dark haired woman approached, and a tickle rose in the back of Nicole's head. The puzzled look on the mother's face indicated the source of the feeling. A quirk of a smile quivered on the face of the newly-minted queen before it was suppressed

"Yes, we're both fine, I think, other than this odd headache I suddenly have. Perhaps it's just from the stress." She looked at her rescuer. "My name is Judith Epps, and this is my daughter, Miriam. I don't know how I can thank you enough for coming to our aid."

"That's quite alright, Judith. My name is Nicole Harrison. I fear I just can't stand aside when someone needs help I can provide. I'm attending a class being held at Somerley and was just in town to purchase a book to read when I heard you."

"I am very grateful for your presence, not so much for myself as for my daughter." She crouched down and looked her child over, straightening the clothing that had become disheveled during their attempt to flee. "Are you alright, sweet?"

The little one nodded quietly; her eyes were fixed on the tall stranger.

Nicole smiled gently at the child as she slowly and smoothly moved to stand beside the mother who still fussed at her daughter's rumpled clothing. Nicole, too, crouched to bring her eyes nearly level with the youngster's before speaking and found herself tugged by a protective feeling whose intensity was unsettling. She sidelined the emotion lest the child pick it up and be frightened. "Do I scare you, Miriam?"

The little head turned in her direction, and the large, dark eyes looked thoughtful for a moment. Miriam shook her head and ventured a little smile. Nicole saw the tentative response, felt the underlying emotions calm a little, and returned the smile with warmth.

"Good. I don't think I'd ever want to do anything to frighten or hurt you or your mother." The American stood again, looking terribly tall against the dark alleyway. "Judith, I think we have another item to talk about. Unfortunately, my time here in England is limited, and I'm going to be very busy over the next several days. I know you have an odd feeling in your head. There's no danger from it, but it does mean there's information you need and a decision you need to make. Do you have the time right now, and know of a place we can be undisturbed for some time? I don't know if everything can be settled in the time I have here, but at least I can give you enough information to think about it until I can get together with you again."

Judith smiled lightly. "I have the time and place, young lady." Nicole's mouth twitched into a smile for an instant. "If you don't mind coming to my home for a little while, we can talk there undisturbed." She retrieved their bags, took her child's hand, and led her out of the alley, beckoning her rescuer to follow. "Did you walk here?"

"No, I have a car that's rented for the week. I can follow along behind you." Nicole grinned as she dutifully followed along, wondering about this new potential sister, and what might make her special enough to become an Amazon.

"You don't know the area, if I'm not mistaken. If you ride with me, I'll make sure you get back here to your car."

They retraced Nicole's steps to the car park, and Judith directed the party to a large, dark colored Mercedes sedan. A driver sat quietly waiting in the front as the three walked up, turning to look as they approached. His eyes narrowed for a moment as he spotted the addition to the group he expected.

Judith spoke quietly, but clearly, as the three climbed in the vehicle.

"Willy, this is Nicole Harrison. She came to our rescue when we were accosted by a mugger. Please take us to the police station. Afterward, she will be accompanying us home and will require a ride back here when we are done. Please let the kitchen know we'll have a guest for supper as well." Her voice rose in a questioning tone at the end of the last sentence; a quick nod of agreement from the American followed.

"Yes, ma'am. Right away." He picked up a handset and relayed the orders before starting the car and pulling away. On the way, Nicole took the opportunity to call Somerley, informing them that she'd not be there for the evening meal.

The ride to the station was brief as they had only a short ride south from where they had been parked. The officers were polite, deferential, and efficient as they had Judith give her report of the incident; Miriam sat quietly by her side. Nicole was taken aside to a separate interview room at the same time to give her statement on her actions and observations. She mentioned the location of the pipe she'd confiscated and dropped to the pavement. A forensics team was dispatched to the scene, after taking the redhead's fingerprints for comparison to those found on the pipe. With her prints eliminated, they expected to identify the attacker from those remaining.

~My fingerprints will be on file here?~ She considered the ramifications for a moment, and felt a surge of adrenalin as the risk of having that data available hit home.

The officer completed his paperwork, and gently admonished the American for taking such a risky action as she had, rather than calling for help. "We do have a number, 999, for those needing emergency assistance."

"I understand your concern, constable, but I saw no-one else around; I didn't know your emergency number equivalent to our '911' at that time, and I had no idea how much time there would be for anyone else to respond. It seemed to be the only option available at the moment. Call it a cultural weakness, but I had to try to help before anyone got hurt."

"That may be so, Miss Harrison, and it all turned out well in the end -- *this* time. Please try to avoid trouble for the remainder of your stay."

The three women reunited in the outer office, finally exiting the station to begin their journey to the Judith's home.

*****

The ride to the Epps home was smooth and pleasant; the road noise hardly penetrated the interior. Judith sat quietly in the back seat on the driver's side, her arm draped over her daughter in the middle of the seat. Nicole looked out over the dark countryside at the sparks of light that marked houses as they passed. The faint light of the dashboard reflected off the windows, masking any real details of the land.

A gate rose abruptly in the darkness, and flashed just as quickly out of sight behind as the car turned into a driveway. A little light began to illuminate the grounds they passed, rising quickly, as they approached and finally came to a stop before the entrance of a grand house.

Willy opened the door on Judith's side and held it as she and her daughter slid out. Nicole chose to extract herself through the opposite door and met her hostess on the stairs leading to the door.

The entrance hall rose high above the entry door, easily twelve feet from the polished marble floor to the painted, arched ceiling and ten from wall to wall. Columns stood guard in their pairs down the hallway as their subtly tapered forms supported the upper reaches of the entry. Between the columns was rich, dark, wood wainscoting; above was lovely, rose-colored fabric wallpaper textured with flowers in the weave. Polished fixtures that looked like gas lamps were spaced down the wall, lending their illumination to the furniture and pictures that interspersed the length of the hallway.

As the three entered, a young woman stood waiting in clothing that, for all its apparent quality, was still servant's dress; she looked curiously at the casually dressed stranger before returning her attention to her mistress. "Welcome home, ma'am. Supper will be ready in half an hour, and the master sends his regrets that he's detained in London until tomorrow. Would you or your guest care for something before you eat, and will you be changing beforehand?"

Judith took in Nicole's shake of her head, then shook her own head slightly. "No, Emily; we'll just wait for supper. We had a little excitement in Ringwood, and I want to get Miriam settled before we eat." After a brief pause she continued, "Since Mister Epps won't be back, we'll sup in the informal dining room. I won't change, since my guest isn't attired formally either."

"Very good, ma'am. May I take your coats?" Emily gathered the coats from the trio then left to hang them as she made her way to the kitchen.

They made their way further into the house, turning aside to enter a smaller, cozier room as they reached the far end of the hallway. There was a fireplace on the wall toward the inside; tall windows, or at least draperies that suggested them, stood on the outside wall opposite. The fireplace was dark, but the room was warm and well lit from sconces. Judith led the way to a sofa near the fireplace.

Now that time permitted, Nicole took a second, more detailed look at her hostess and her daughter. The two were obviously mother and daughter. Both had the distinct, Semitic nose and facial features. Each had the same dark, brown eyes; it was also apparent that they both had long, dark hair. Judith's was revealed to be piled on her head in a coiled braid, and she wore a long-sleeved, burgundy dress that reached her knees. Matching low-heeled shoes completed the outfit. Nicole guessed her age to be around 30. ~At least that, after the 'young lady' comment.~

Miriam wore a skirt and shoes of the same burgundy as her mother, but had a rose beige blouse. Her hair fell in a dark sheet halfway down her back. She clambered up on the sofa and perched there beside her mother, who gracefully took her place.

Nicole found a wingback chair close by and settled in, noting, as she looked briefly around the room, the explanation for the other woman's physical appearance was given by the menorah that sat on the mantle. The fabric of the chair was rich and soft and woven with the glorious rose and green colors of a garden; the cushions cradled her as she sank into their embrace.

"Now then," the mother began as she got her daughter settled, "what was it you intended to say about that headache of mine?"

Nicole looked pointedly at the child that sat beside Judith. "I'm ... not certain this is something that is wise to discuss with Miriam here; it isn't bad, or evil, but four-year-olds," she looked at Judith as she guessed at the child's age and received a nod in return, "aren't noted for their ability to keep a secret. You may stand aside, but my life is potentially at risk. Unless Miriam can be perfectly relied on...." Her voice trailed off.

Judith took a long look at her daughter before returning her gaze to the tall redhead. "I understand." She looked again at her child, flicking the little one's long hair back over her shoulder. "Miriam, I need a few minutes alone with Miss Harrison. Please go check on Emily and supper."

The little one nodded, happy to be freed from the horrors of an adult conversation. She scampered out of the room, leaving the adults chuckling behind her. The clatter of the little shoes sounded her rapid retreat.

Still smiling at the child's exit, the adults turned again to each other.

Nicole spoke first, now. "Judith, the headache, as you called it, isn't really a pain, is it? Isn't it more like a tickle in the back of your head?"

The short woman nodded slowly. "Yes, that's true. How do you know?"

"First, before we even begin, I must ask you to keep all this confidential. There are people out in the world looking for me; my life depends on your silence. You'll understand more when I explain the history behind what's happening. Will you agree to keep our conversation to yourself unless I personally give you permission to do otherwise?"

The other woman took a moment before nodding her acceptance of the terms.

"Good, then let me give you a little background. Over four thousand years ago, between the time of the Egyptian pyramid builders and the time the Hebrews were in Egypt, on the Crimean Peninsula and the plains north of the Black Sea, there was a tribe composed of matriarchal clans who called themselves the Amazons. They grew from refugees who were guided at that time by the goddess known as Artemis. They held their territory for hundreds of years, until they were crushed by the Hittites in about fifteen-hundred BC, three centuries before Moses led the exodus from Egypt. There might be remnants of the tribes somewhere, but the Amazons ceased to exist as a nation. During the intervening years, Artemis has become one of the Heavenly Host, for lack of a better term. Unfortunately, some of the same groups that crushed the Amazons still exist, and they apparently are watching for our return.

"Late last year, for reasons I still don't understand, I found myself chosen to begin rebuilding the Amazon Nation. I know about that feeling in the back of your head because I get the same sensation when we're close enough together. I don't know why, but God has chosen that way to let a potential new Amazon know that I am nearby; I get the same sensation. It means you have been given a choice, and once you choose the sensation will stop. You don't need to choose immediately; you may take however much time you need. I will not try to force your decision, either. You may say no, the sensation will stop, and I will leave you to your life as you choose to live it. And if you are wondering, I had no idea you were a candidate before I came to help; I came because I heard your plea for mercy."

"The Amazons that are part of this new nation, unlike our ancient sisters, are empowered with strength, speed, and sharper senses. I think we'll never be large in numbers, and this is God's way of giving us the ability to survive, as best I can tell."

"Would I be placing my family in danger?"

"I wish I could honestly say no, but the chance is there. My intent is to keep our existence secret until we grow enough in numbers to keep ourselves safe. If you want some concrete proof of some of my claim, and if you have an exercise room of some sort, I can at least make a small demonstration of one of my abilities."

"We can arrange for that after supper, if you wish. I must admit that I'm somewhat uncomfortable with the influence of this so-called goddess. It's uncomfortably close to worshiping a false god." Judith nodded toward the menorah.

"I understand that; Artemis is our patroness, and she empowers each new Amazon, but she's not an object of worship." Nicole sketched out the chain of command as she had had it described to her. "Speaking for myself, as a Christian, I still hold to my original vows and beliefs. Artemis is ... my Prime Minister, not my god. She, too, answers to God." Nicole could sense the hesitance and reserve of the other woman; Judith would be a much harder person to convince than Kate had been.

Emily came to the doorway, stilling any further reply by Judith. "Supper is ready, ma'am."

"Thank you, Emily; we'll be there presently." She turned to her guest. "There's a powder room nearby. You may wash up there if you wish before supper. We can speak more after we eat."

*****

The meal was delicious, as the lamb had been prepared such that the meat was tender and more subtle in its flavor than in Nicole's previous experience. The dessert was a feather-light Key-lime pie that almost melted at contact with her tongue. Nicole was grateful for the classes on dining etiquette at the moment. It would hardly do for the supposed queen to make a fool of herself at a dinner.

As they ate, Nicole shared a bit of her history.

"I spent quite a while moving with my family before we settled in New York state. My father was in the Navy and worked in a laboratory there. He died about ten years ago. My mother and I stayed there afterward; we had the house paid for and had enough income to live on."

"I'm sorry to hear about your father. How is your mother dealing with that loss, and you being gone?"

"My mother passed away five years ago, during my first summer attending Syracuse.

"Both your parents are gone? Do you have any other family around?"

Nicole didn't have to fake the sorrow in her answer. "No, I don't have any family left. Both my parents were only children."

Judith stretched a comforting hand across the table and squeezed the young woman's arm. "I'm sorry for your loss. I suppose I should consider myself fortunate that both of my parents are alive and well. That must make this endeavor even more important to you."

"It does. It also means that it's more important to me to have willing recruits. I don't think you can force anyone to really become part of a family.

"Anyway, I graduated from college with my Masters and just started a new job after the first of the year. I work for a company that does underground surveys. They're training me to work on one of their field teams."

The dark eyes across the table were deep with thoughts that the owner believed were masked. Nicole read the currents of her hostess' emotions, curious to note the utter disinterest in making a choice anytime soon.

"You must understand my position, Miss Harrison. Quite apart from the extraordinary claims you make, you must understand that my husband and I have been raised to be cautious. Our position and heritage both mean we receive our share of ... crackpot proposals, if you will pardon my terminology." At Nicole's quirked eyebrow, Judith raised a hand to forestall a verbal reply. "You must admit, your statements are extraordinary; I expect some extraordinary proofs of your claims.

"And that is all quite apart from the fact that you are, to all appearances, a young American woman just out of college." She cocked her head slightly. "Despite the maturity you show, which is all out of proportion for your age."

Nicole smiled and ignored the implied question. "I understand, Judith, and I'd prefer you take whatever time you feel is necessary. I will answer any questions I can. Please understand that there is no hurry; if you need to take a week, a month, a year, or even more, then do so. I will be heavily involved in preparing myself for my duties over the next few years, so there will be times I won't be available. I will do my best to answer your concerns. I'm curious, though; you're obviously a mother," she gestured at the little girl, "but if I may ask, what else are you involved in?"

Judith looked at the empty dessert plates. "Perhaps I can answer that in a few moments, Nicole, if I may offer a tour of our home? We have an excellently equipped exercise room that my husband and I use during the winter." Miriam's nanny appeared and led the child away to her preparations for bed after a gentle hug and kiss from her mother.

Nicole gratefully accepted the offer of the tour. As they strolled along the hallways, she was able to learn about Judith's husband and their families. David's family was, and had been for over a century, some of the premier candy makers in the United Kingdom. They had accumulated an immense fortune through their confectionery skills and business acumen applied over the years.

Judith touched more on her own history. "I took my doctorate in law from Cambridge. I'm the Epps family's solicitor for both personal and company business, and also serve on the company's board of directors."

"Have you always lived in this area?"

"No. I was raised near London, and my family still lives there. I met my husband during my studies at Cambridge and moved here with him after completing my dissertation."

Portraits of the patriarchs, and occasionally matriarchs, of the family hung on the walls as they walked. The small woman stopped before a double door and opened it to reveal a large room that was well equipped with very up-to-date equipment.

"You were saying you had a demonstration of some of your claims?"

Nicole grinned. "What weight would you guess I could lift?"

"I would say perhaps a hundred kilos; certainly not much more than that. You haven't the build for more."

The redhead nodded and replied, "If I weren't empowered, I'd agree. May I?" She gestured to the weight machine with the largest stack of weights. After her hostess nodded, Nicole moved to the machine and set the weight to the maximum level.

"Wait! You'll hurt yourself!"

As she positioned herself on the machine, now set to three hundred kilograms, Nicole winked at Judith and said, "This will be only a light exercise for me, Judith. Watch!"

After her guest had completed five sets of ten repetitions, Judith sat heavily on another bench as Nicole reset the weight to a lower, safer level without even breathing hard. "My heavens, I'd never have believed..." Judith broke off in wonder. "I'll admit that you are exceptional, and that you just accomplished something no normal human could expect to accomplish without more obvious bulk. I'll still need time to consider your offer. I have my family to think of, after all; my people have had long experience to teach us caution. You also must understand that I will need to speak with my husband. The Amazons are pictured as man-haters in the stories that remain, but I will not become involved without his agreement."

"If things work out as I intend, the new nation will have both men and women in it. Women will be the ultimate authorities, but I believe that men, too, have important strengths to add. Families are important to us all, I think. If your husband will agree to keep things to himself, you may talk with him about it since your whole family will be affected.

"Unfortunately, I only have tomorrow evening free. The rest of the week will be taken up with class activities, and then I'm off to California again for three weeks. If you, or your husband, have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them if I can. I'll leave you my cell phone number, as well as contact information for another woman who's accepted the call. Her name is Kate Tanner, and she lives in Los Angeles."

Nicole outlined her schedule for the next few months as she knew it. "If you make your decision after I leave, we'll have to find a way to meet somewhere." She looked quickly around. "I don't think it will be too difficult for you to come meet me somewhere, though."

They talked a bit more about the Amazons and the near-term and long-term goals Nicole had for them. "My immediate concerns are preparing myself for what lies ahead, and working out how to prepare new recruits. The only long-term goals I have for the moment are to rebuild the Nation and eliminate the enemies who destroyed the original Amazons."

Finally, it was late enough that Nicole had to beg off further questioning. She ended her visit with a request. "All I ask, Judith, is that you give thoughtful, prayerful consideration to the offer. Do what you think you are called to do. Remember, I'm not asking you to completely renounce your love for your country; I only ask that, if you accept, you put your sisters first."

As Willy pulled the car away from the house, Nicole saw Judith standing in a window with a thoughtful look that was just visible despite the backlighting. There was a little relief in her mind. ~At least she's thinking about it.~

*****

After the departure of the strange American, Judith had spent time putting her daughter to bed. The child had had questions about the events of the evening, and wondered why the man had been so mean.

"I don't know, Miriam. Everyone has the choice to do right or wrong. He chose to do the wrong thing."

"But that lady who chased him away did the right thing, right Mummy? She was very brave!"

Judith had to nod. "That's right, she did do the right thing, and it was brave of her. Sometimes, though, people do the right thing for the wrong reason. We must be careful, because some people will try to trick us."

"*She* won't, Mummy." The little voice sounded utterly certain.

"I hope you're right, little one. I do hope you're right."

Now, a few hours later, Judith was dreaming.

She was back in the alleyway with her child behind her and trapped again by the hulking figure of the thug. This time, though, the tall slender figure that had come to their aid appeared suddenly between them and the thief. She was dressed now in a blue skirt and white blouse, and bore a white rod which she used to drive off the threat. The face that appeared when their rescuer turned was Miss Harrison's.

Judith started awake, torn between the fright of the remembered event and the odd security she felt at Nicole's arrival. The change of her rescuer's clothing and that odd white rod were puzzling as well.

She settled back down, finally drifting back to a more restful sleep.

Miriam stirred gently, settling quickly into a deeper sleep with a smile.

*****
Tuesday, January 30, 2001
Somerley
9:00AM GMT

This morning Nicole had chosen the business outfit that she'd worn her first day in Dana Point. It seemed to be much longer than three weeks since this had all began, but given how much had happened over that time, she was hardly surprised. She had a limited selection, and she might as well get the staid fashions out of the way early.

The group had met for breakfast again, and Nicole was the recipient of an inquisition about her activities of the previous evening. It had only taken one day for the group to gel, and they intended to keep track of each other. Nicole spent a fair part of the meal explaining her trip to the bookstore and the encounter with the thug.

"How could you do that and talk like it was nowt? I'd be too frightened to step in!" Janet commented.

Nicole shrugged, "I couldn't hear someone call for help and not do something. I figured that whoever it was probably would be frightened if someone came up behind them. It worked; I came up, and he ran away."

Melissa piped up: "I'd just have run for help!"

Nicole found herself the designated recipient of 'Intensive Care for Demented Americans'; her caregivers promised to help her learn the art of prudence and self-preservation.

It was embarrassing for the redhead to have her most intimidating glares receive only giggles in response.

*****

For the remainder of the week, the day had been divided into three parts. The structure was geared to permit enough time for practice of the skills presented, without dulling interest in the subject matter.

The first two hour class each day had been scheduled for skin care and make-up, though clothing would also be covered; the second three-hour class was for posture and body language; the last two hours dealt with voice presentation.

The first class, thanks to the efforts of Artemis and Kate, was turning out to be a review session. Nicole had found herself spending more of her time helping the rest of her group than actually learning anything new. Even the relatively recent efforts to master the art of daytime makeup put her well ahead of her peers.

The time passed quickly; she had fallen into the role of unofficial instructor for her little group. Her experience in the finer details of skin care was patiently communicated to her companions. The progress had been uneven, but they were improving as a group. The lesson concluded, leaving the redheaded leader pleasantly surprised and content with the results.

The first hour of the second class served as an introduction to the topic of posture and body language. Some of the information duplicated that presented in the classes in California. This class, however, had focused its attention entirely on women in the Western world.

*****
10:00AM GMT
Epps Home

David Epps had finally arrived home after some last minute meetings this morning with his staff. The board meeting yesterday had lasted later than scheduled, as they listened to the corporate staff's plans to manage the slowdown anticipated in the world economy. The American 'dot com' bubble was bursting, and with the various corporate fraud investigations in progress, they wanted to have plans in place should their market slow.

The news at home was anything but comforting, as Judith related the events of the evening.

"So she stopped the brigand and knew about the odd feeling in your head before you mentioned it. Did she seem to know who we are?"

"No, she gave no sign of recognizing our last name." She laughed a little as she continued, "Her face when we walked into the entry was quite amusing, really. She's either being honest, or she's an excellent actress. It was quite interesting, too, that Miriam seems to be quite taken with her.

"She's very odd. Her appearance is quite young, no more than twenty-four, but her behavior and poise are those of someone much older."

The two sat quietly, pondering whether there was more to what had happened.

"Why don't you invite her over this evening? Between the two of us, I think we can get more of an idea of her intent."

*****

The subdued ring of her cell phone interrupted the harassment during the walk to lunch. Nicole dug the device from her purse, grateful for the respite.

"Hello?"

"Miss Harrison? This is Judith Epps. My husband, David, and I would like to invite you to our home for supper again this evening if you have the time."

Her mind quickly considered the class schedule as she knew it before she replied. "Judith, I'd be honored to join you. What time do you want me there?"

"Don't concern yourself with that. You still don't know the area, so our driver will be there to pick you up by five-thirty if that is acceptable? You need not dress formally, either. This will be more in the way of a working supper."

Nicole found herself nodding despite the conversation being over a phone. "I understand, and I'd be happy to join you. I'll be out front at five-thirty."

"Very good. We look forward to seeing you then. Goodbye, Miss Harrison."

"Goodbye, Mrs. Epps." Nicole ended the phone call and found herself facing the three ladies of the English Inquisition.

*****

The lunch hour began as more 'pick on the American' entertainment that settled into a more congenial conversation -- at least until Nicole revealed her life's lack of romantic interest. That revelation provoked a line of questioning that carried through the remainder of the meal.

"I just haven't had *time* for boyfriends, that's all!" Nicole protested. "I was too busy before my job started, and I've been traveling ever since." She paused briefly. "It doesn't look like it will get any better for a while, either."

As the group around the table commiserated with their poor unfortunate companion, Nicole found herself reflecting on the conversations with Michael, and Keith, and wondering just how long it might be before she *would* find some kind of companionship.

*****

~Sadistic. That's what she is -- sadistic!~

Nicole again gathered herself. Now that it was after lunch, the instructor was running each student through an evaluation of her abilities. Nicole found herself in a category all her own.

The class was well mannered; there were no snickers audible, though the coughs were far too prevalent. Nicole struggled as she tried to translate unfamiliar terminology into equally unfamiliar movements.

Some things came quickly, such as how to sit in a ladylike fashion. How to stand and walk with the erect posture demanded was taking somewhat longer. The long-suffering look of patience on the instructor's face was anything but a help to the struggling redhead.

"Let's try again, Miss Harrison."

Nicole retrieved the book, walked to the head of the aisle, placed the book on the top of her head, and tried once more to make it to the other end without the book falling again.

*****
Washington, DC
9:30AM EST (GMT-5)

Carson Sinclair and his team met to debrief the agents who had attempted to gather information about the new arrival at Wing. They had worked as the vending staff for years, and had casual contact with the staff for some time. Their report was disappointing.

"So," Carson began, "her name is Nicole Harrison. She was in the LA area for three weeks, is in England for a week, will be back in LA for three more weeks, and then come back here. All because the reservation system couldn't set up a flight back to DC? Do you know how insane that sounds?"

The lead agent responded, "Sir, we understand. The people at Wing are practically a laugh track on the subject."

"Do we have any idea where she is in England?"

"No sir, all we know is that she's due back in LA on Saturday."

Carson nodded. "Okay, we'll pick her trail up there. Find out when flights are due from London and make sure we have someone on hand to follow her when she gets in, no matter which flight she's on. Get Diego alerted and on to it."

The men filtered out of the room as Carson considered what else might be done to unearth the Queen if this redhead turned out to be a false alarm.

~I don't really want to even think about that possibility.~

*****
Epps Home
6:00PM GMT

This time, Willy opened the car door for Nicole after they arrived. He nodded in acknowledgment of her 'thank you' as she made her way to the entry.

The door was opened as she reached the top step; Emily stood beside the door, holding it open for the new arrival. Just inside, Judith stood with a man who was about three inches taller than she was. The man's resemblance to the child, Miriam, was marked. Miriam stood between the adults, waiting with surprising patience.

Nicole had left the outfit on that she'd put on that morning, but wore a long warm coat against the cool winter evening. She had also tucked the scepter into an inside pocket of her coat, should the opportunity arise to explain it.

"Welcome back, Miss Harrison." Judith stepped forward to greet their guest. "I would like to introduce you to my husband, David. David, this is Nicole Harrison, the young lady who came to our rescue yesterday."

Nicole stepped forward, shaking the hand of the man. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Epps. Thank you, also, for inviting me into your home again."

"Thank you for coming, Miss Harrison, and my thanks for your coming to my family's aid. We owe you a debt that is impossible to repay."

"Mr. Epps, as I told your police, I had to respond to the call for help. I'm grateful that I was able to do something."

"We can discuss that topic further at supper. If you'd give Emily your coat, we can make our way to the dining room."

There was a slight gasp as Judith saw the outfit under the coat. It was the same as in her dream. She felt a small tug on her dress, and looked down to see her daughter looking up with a smile.

"Mummy, does she have that stick, too?"

David turned to look at the side conversation taking place, puzzled at the meaning. "What do you mean, Miri?"

The little face turned toward him. "Last night, I had a dream and she," she pointed to Nicole, "was dressed just like that. She had a white stick she used to chase off the bad man who scared Mummy and me. She protected us."

"I had the same dream," came quietly from the child's mother.

Even without the slowly growing empathic abilities she had, Nicole could have read the sense of wonder in the woman's voice. "Emily? Wait a moment with my coat, please." The redhead reached in and fumbled for a moment as she located her target. ~Ah! There it is.~

Judith was at the point she couldn't respond to more mental shocks; she just stood, somewhat dazed, as their guest turned from her coat holding a white rod that looked identical to that from her dream.

*****

Supper had been slightly more subdued than David had intended. It wasn't until they'd finished, and retired to the same sitting room Nicole had been in yesterday, that the three adults felt free to tackle the real reason for Nicole's visit and discuss the dreams the mother and child had shared. The little one stayed with them this time, snuggling up to her mother on the sofa.

"I will admit," Judith began, "that I'm a bit taken aback by this all. I had thought it was just a weird dream. Miriam hadn't mentioned her own dream to me."

Nicole returned a wry look. "Welcome to the weirdness that is my life of late. I must reiterate that I don't expect you, or really even want you, to make any decisions tonight. I prefer that you give it careful consideration, even if it should take you months."

"Not to be too pointed, Miss Harrison, but why should we not say 'no'?" David was radiating his skepticism.

She almost smirked at him. "If the situation were entirely normal, I'd say that you *should* say 'no'. That is entirely your choice to do so; it isn't compulsory to accept this call." She looked bleak for a moment. "All choices carry a price, even when you make the one you know is right. You have time to think, to decide if the price is one you're willing to pay.

"On the other hand, this isn't my doing." She gave a pointed look at David. "I did not choose Judith, nor did I cause the dreams she and Miriam had last night. The one who sent this scepter to me selected your wife as the next potential sister for me to find. You both need to make this decision though, since you both will be affected by it."

"Are you going to be my mummy's sister?" The child had a very confused look on her face as she tried to understand the conversation.

Nicole replied with as much seriousness as the question merited. "Only if your parents decide that's what they want. This isn't like being born as family. It isn't an easy decision, and they need to think about it. I hope they will be my friends, even if their answer is no."

"You'll keep us safe, won't you?" the little voice continued.

A sad smile crossed the redhead's face, and the mother gently hugged the child. "That would be a promise I couldn't keep. I can't promise to always keep you and your family safe, Miriam. I can only promise that I will always do my best to protect you, and anyone else who chooses to say yes."

"May I see your stick?" With an answer to her first question in hand, the little one jumped to more interesting thoughts.

Nicole grinned slightly as she turned her attention to the parents. "Do I have your permission?" There was a brief look between David and Judith that ended with a nod from David. "Okay, Miriam, come over here and I'll show it to you."

The little one scrambled down from her perch and in moments found herself a perch on the lap of the somewhat startled visitor. It took a moment to settle the youngster securely as she snuggled close, and the adult's arms wrapped around to keep her safe.

"Now then, Miriam," Nicole began to speak, acutely aware of the parents presence, "this is a very special stick. It's called a scepter, and it is very, very old. It was sent to me to show I was chosen to do a special job."

"Like Moses and his staff?"

"A little, but I didn't have God talk to me through a burning bush. My job isn't quite as special as that. Have you seen the scepter Queen Elizabeth has?" The child nodded. "This stick is like that, but it's so much older that it isn't as pretty."

"May I hold it?"

"Yes, but be careful and don't hurt yourself." She gave the scepter to the child, watching carefully as it was examined.

Miriam spent several minutes weighing the rod in her hand, and running her fingers along the surface. "What are these?"

"Those are old letters that were put into the scepter when it was first made."

"Oh. Okay, thank you!" The little one handed the item back to Nicole, and with a lightning-quick hug and a flurry of arms and legs, the child scrambled off Nicole's lap and back to the sofa.

Nicole again felt the tug of the protective streak she'd sensed the previous night, along with a wistful feeling of longing for the child she'd always wanted. She clamped down sternly; there would be no time for the foreseeable future for that particular indulgence.

Judith was watching the interchange between her daughter and Nicole, and didn't miss the facial expression of longing as the child got down, brief though it was.

"Miriam, it's time for you to get ready for bed."

"But Mummy!..."

"Off you go, I'll be up to tuck you in."

A most adorable pout appeared as the child looked at their guest for intervention.

Nicole grinned. "Sorry, Miriam, you must mind your mother."

The child left dejectedly, and in the care of a bemused Emily; the adults returned at last to the deeper questions they'd left for later. Judith and David were permitted to examine the scepter, and were given the explanation of its origins and the engravings.

The evening ended with the Epps continuing to be somewhat skeptical of the reality of Nicole's claims. They had promised they would consider the matter carefully before making a decision.

Nicole rode back to Somerley in silence and replayed the evening in her mind. There was no more she could do for now, and she had done her best; it was all in the hands of another now.

*****
WGSS Offices
9:00PM EST (GMT-5)

Amelia was sitting in the server room, monitoring the testing of an alternative database package, when two of her system administrators swiped themselves into the secure room. It might be a case of excessive paranoia; there was no rational reason she could think of for someone to be so interested in an archaeological database or geological scans, but until she knew more of what was going on she would take a worst case approach. ~Better safe than sorry.~

"Evening, Mela!"

"Hi, Boss lady! What's with the cloak and dagger meeting?"

Amelia gave the two a half-smile. "I know it's probably not necessary, but the pounding on our firewall and servers is making me nervous. Have you been able to track anything down?"

The senior admin, Marissa Wilson, began the report. "We started with the log of the IPs that have accessed our firewall. We took some old access logs and filtered out the systems that were listed consistently over the last year, then did a sort to identify the ones that were both new and persistent. We found there were a dozen systems that appeared after the first of the year. There didn't appear to be any real pattern to the system locations as far as we could tell, but the accesses seemed to be cyclic, rather than random or simultaneous."

The other admin, a young man named Tejas Shah, picked up the briefing. "As Marissa identified new systems, I started to dig for information about the who and where of the owners. I found out what I could, but none of them seemed to have any reason for accessing our systems at all, much less doing it the way they were."

With a grin, Amelia gave each of her employees a look that clearly said, 'Okay, now give me the rest of the story.'

Marissa cracked after Tejas' pleading look. "Okay. We figured that we might be dealing with someone relaying through the systems, so we contacted some friends who had contacts in the various organizations they could trust to keep quiet. They dug in and found that the systems had been cracked and had back door access installed. It caught their interest, and they eventually found that there were three networks sourcing the remote control by matching outbound and inbound timestamps. They sent us a list of the nets, system locations, and the listed owners." She handed over a hardcopy listing.

"Turkey, Pakistan, and Saudi Arabia? Great! Three wonderfully open, democratic societies. Any ideas why they might be interested in us all of a sudden?"

The two admins shrugged in unison. "Not a clue, Mela. The supposed owners don't seem to have any business that overlaps with ours; we even dug in to their corporate histories and came up with nothing. We haven't been able to gain access to any of the three networks to find out if there's another layer of control behind them, though we're working at it."

"I don't think there's anything we can do at the moment. We'll set up rate limiting for the systems that aren't expected to need access, and please keep your contacts looking for data. I think we can keep the perps from doing any damage, but I'd like to know who they are and why they're bugging us. Let me know if there's any new information, or if you need help. We'll meet again in a couple of weeks for an update unless you come up with something new in the mean time."

*****
Wednesday, January 31, 2001
Somerley

It was kind of fun, she decided. With the background she'd received from Kate and Artemis, she was able to pick up on the fine points of make-up. The class in skin care and make-up was more in the way of polishing rough edges, rather than desperate building of missing skills. Nicole even found herself offering tidbits to her group-mates at times.

Lunch with her comrades was the preliminary planning session for the formal dinner that evening. It was scheduled to start at 6PM, and the four worked on the agenda for showers, make-up, hair, and clothing. Each woman was assigned a time slot for her activities, such that they would each have the focused attention of the rest at each stage. They had made their plans to gather their clothing for the evening in Nicole's room and prepare there, as her room was centrally located.

The butterflies in Nicole's stomach were growing in size and activity as the planning took place and her chance for escape evaporated like the morning's frost.

The class in posture and body language, on the other hand, was anything but easy. She was at the point where she could manage to keep her head steady and was able to keep the book on her head as she walked. That wasn't good enough, though, as the focus shifted to the proper way to move her feet.

~I don't WANT to be a model!~ She grumbled to herself mentally as she was chastised for the forceful, linear stride of her normal walk. It was a habit of fifty years that was proving hard to break. She was admonished to take shorter steps, and to work at placing each foot in front of the other as she walked.

"Miss Harrison, you should glide, not stalk. You're a dancer, not a hunter."

~Says you!~

"Yes, Ma'am." She refocused on each step, trying to coax her muscles into the unfamiliar patterns.

*Whap!* The book once again hit the floor, to the amusement and giggles of her group. Nicole sighed, picked up the book, and tried again.

*****

The last class of the day, voice presentation, was actually *fun*. It reminded Nicole of the years Tom had sung in the church choir. She found that the techniques for tone control and breath control were quite similar between singing and speaking. The terminology was sufficiently different that it took a little time to realize that the instructor was actually saying things Nicole already knew. She found herself quietly humming a voice warm-up scale as she waited her turn. The instructor caught the sound as she paused at one point in her lecture.

"Miss Harrison? May I ask what you're doing?"

Nicole apologized for the unintentional interruption, and found herself explaining about her experience in singing. "Any time I expect to sing, I need to warm up my vocal chords so they aren't strained. I suddenly realized that this class will be placing a similar stress on my voice, and I felt the need to prepare properly. It just took a little while for me to make the connection as the terminology is somewhat different."

There was a long moment as the connection was made by the teacher, and several of the other students had a similar look as they, too, realized the opportunity to apply their previous experience.

The instructor nodded. "I see that we have an opportunity to clarify and improve our course. Thank you, Miss Harrison, for sharing your observations. You will be allowed enough time to warm up before you need to exercise your voice, so you needn't take time during the presentations."

The gentle chiding was acknowledged with a contrite smile and the class continued.

*****

The afternoon's tea was abbreviated. The non- resident students had rushed off to begin their preparations for the evening; the overnight guests hastened as well to free as much time as possible for their own arrangements.

Janet, Niru, and Melissa started cycling through the shower. Nicole, much to her amusement, was designated the make-up artist for the evening. Janet handled each woman's hair, Melissa turned out to be a wizard at rapid nail preparation, and Niru managed to aid each of her companions in wriggling into her chosen outfit for the evening.

As the preparations were proceeding, Nicole found herself chatting with Nirupama.

"Niru, how did you find yourself here? I'd expect someone from India to be reasonably acquainted with most of this material."

"Perhaps many years ago that would have been the case, but we're less tied to British culture now. My father was appointed to the London office, and I'm here to learn how to act in British society, so that I can be more comfortable in University." She shrugged gently.

Janet was standing nearby, listening to the conversation. "What about you, Nicole? I was too involved in helping at my father's appliance repair shop to learn most of this girly stuff. My parents sent me here after the problems I had first semester in University. They hope I can lose more of my accent, too."

Nicole nodded. "I was more of a computer geek, but the company I work for now sends teams all over the world. I needed to learn how to behave like a lady." Her look of disgust had all three of the others giggling.

Melissa's failure to follow up with her own reason for attendance drew Nicole's attention as the other two worked to complete their preparations.

"What about you, Melissa? Do you feel uncomfortable talking about your reason for being here?"

The dark skinned woman nodded shyly. "I never went to University. I work for a travel agency, and they sent me here to learn how to dress and behave for our upper-class and corporate clients." Her skin darkened in embarrassment. "My family is lower class. I really don't feel as if I belong here."

The three other women stopped as Melissa spoke. She flushed again as she realized the attention was focused on her.

Janet spoke for them all. "Melissa, we all have reasons to be here and things that embarrass us about those reasons. You don't have to worry here. All right?"

At the encouraging smiles from the friendly faces, she squared her shoulders and returned a smile, small and tentative, but a smile nonetheless.

Janet's dress was a shimmering, electric-blue, velvet gown that drew out the lighter blonde highlights of her hair. It was fairly low cut in front, revealing her considerable cleavage without being excessively immodest. Her relatively short hair was brushed out into a smooth helmet for the evening.

Melissa wore a taupe colored gown that set off her skin color; she didn't have the bust line, so she'd opted for a nearly backless style that emphasized her trim figure. Her hair was so short that no effort was required to prepare.

Nirupama opted for traditional Indian garb, with swaths of colorful silk hinting at the figure beneath. The outfit managed to be modest, alluring, and exotic simultaneously. She had her hair fluffed, but otherwise unbound.

Nicole made the final adjustments to each woman's make-up after the dresses were on, then gritted her teeth and slipped into her own gown as the others looked on. They fussed over her fingernails, and it took only moments to brush her hair into the loose, fire-red wave she preferred. She hesitated for a few moments as she looked over her jewelry; she knew the items that had been chosen for just such an occasion, but it was difficult to overcome the feeling of ostentatious display. The diamonds of the earrings and necklace caught the red of her hair, and green of the gown, and turned them into a brilliant display of faceted beauty.

Once the initial ooh-ing and aah-ing was over, the four made their way to the formal dining room. They did take care to shift their walk to the approved model from class as they entered the room and dispersed into the crowd.

The schedule reserved the time between six o'clock and six-thirty for mingling, and Nicole deliberately migrated from clique to clique, following up on conversations held during class or meals. It seemed at times that her accent was as out of place as Minnie Pearl singing during a classical music program. She listened more than she spoke, and filed the topics away as socially useful references. She found herself quizzed on occasion about her background, and why she'd missed supper the previous two days, but managed to avoid detailed answers without resorting to lies.

The meal for the evening was a multi-course masterpiece that was the equal of the splendid example from California. Each small group had been deliberately separated to encourage more mixing amongst the attendees. The appetizer was Oysters in Puff Pastry with Spinach. The redhead sampled one, deciding that oysters were still not on her top-ten list of foods. A wild mushroom soup was followed by a lemon sorbet.

Even had it proven to be less tasty, the salmon recipe for the next course would have overridden any objections. The seasoning toned down the strongly flavored fish and enhanced the interplay with the side dish. A grilled duck breast with julienne vegetables managed to avoid the gamy, oily taste of her previous experiences with the waterfowl. A green salad with croutons, topped with raspberry vinaigrette followed the entrée.

The dessert was passion fruit with cream and fresh berries; Nicole found she was just able to sample the fruit, as the quantity of food from the meal finally filled her to repletion.

She sat back, regretful at leaving food uneaten. The serving order was different from what she had been exposed to in Dana Point, but the flow of flavors was still delightful. As she allowed the meal to settle, she sipped the excellent tea and chatted amiably with the young women to either side. She explained her background and had to explain at one point that no, she didn't make day trips to California from Virginia any more than someone from Calais made a day trip to Moscow; thirty-six-hundred kilometers was a little too far for a jaunt like that.

It took a little work to hold back the snickers as the youngster began to understand the true size of the 'colonies'.

The general conversation focused on the coursework of the past three days. Nicole finally found herself engaging in an exchange with another amateur singer about techniques and favorite songs.

The dinner finally broke up at nine o'clock, with the quartet making their way back to change out of their formal wear. The hour and the quantity of food consumed left them all too tired for much idle chatter; the dominant sound was the sharp click of heels down the polished floor of the hallway.

*****

Thursday was largely a rerun of Wednesday; Nicole was once again able to make progress at turning the instructions she had been given into the physical movements required without having to dodge a falling tome. It was pleasant to get through the entire class without provoking titters of laughter.

The formal dinner, too, was similar to the previous evening. Preparations, and the dresses, had followed the sequence of the previous day. Nicole and her group were sorted differently from the last time as well. The menu changed, of course, as a beef tenderloin dish was substituted for the duck of the previous night. A baked scrod was provided in place of the salmon, and the light flavor was a tasty counterpoint to the strong flavor of the beef. The dessert was a glorious chocolate cake with espresso ice cream.

Between the dessert and the tea, it took a while for enough caffeine to wear off to permit Nicole to relax and go to sleep, but it was hard to criticize the evening's menu.

Her tongue flicked at her lips; she sought in vain for one last crumb of chocolate as she drifted off. She knew there would be none, but the flavor of the dessert left her wishing she'd been less thorough in her evening clean up.

*****
Friday, February 02, 2001
Somerley

It was evaluation day.

All the lessons learned over the past four days were put into practice, as the instruction staff put each woman through a sequence of exercises to determine how thoroughly each had absorbed the information. It was also a last opportunity to make corrections to the skills imparted over the past four days and to gather the responses of the students to the course content and techniques.

The whole class watched each phase of the testing, with the intent of resolving remaining uncertainties. Walking, sitting, standing, getting into and out of a vehicle were all covered one last time.

Nicole found that, as expected, her make-up and vocal skills were up to acceptable levels. Her body language, on the other hand, could only be classified as a work in progress. The resigned expression on the instructor's face was momentary; she marked up a copy of the evaluation sheet with several suggestions for later work that Nicole could perform to hone her skill.

The lunch break was, as usual, the group planning session for the evening's activity. The four ate quickly and make stops at each room to evaluate the clothing choices for a cocktail party. Melissa had chosen a sapphire blue miniskirt and top, while Janet settled on a burgundy outfit from her closet. Niru had nothing other than outfits acceptable to her parents, which meant a selection of the same sari styles she'd worn the entire week. Nicole tried to direct their attention to some outfits that were a bit more like business clothing, but the trio spotted the white skirt and top and decided that it was essential that they be worn.

The afternoon was consumed by the last set of student evaluations and student feedback. They discussed the points they had thought were particularly well done, while spending most of their time outlining those areas that were particularly weak in communicating the intent of the instructors. Evaluation sheets were filled out for each course area and returned to the lead instructor for later reference.

There was a long break between the end of the last session and tea, and the cloudy day with its threat of rain kept Nicole inside. As she needed to leave early in the morning, she chose to do preliminary packing. There would be a few last minute items in the morning, but she wanted to ensure the gown was properly packed to minimize creasing.

As time for tea approached, Nicole walked by the reception desk.

"Pardon me, about how long would you estimate it will take to drive from here to Heathrow tomorrow morning?"

The clerk thought for a few moments. "It should take two hours, barring accidents or inclement weather. What time is your flight?"

"It's scheduled for eleven twenty. Since it's an international flight, I thought I should try to arrive two hours before the departure."

"So you want to be there about nine. That means you won't want to leave here much later than six. You might end up sitting for a longer time, but better that than being late due to an accident."

"Will the dining room be open that early? I'd like to at least have a little something before I leave. And will I be able to check out that early as well?"

"The dining room will be open just at six for our guests, so you will be able to have something if you're willing to leave after that time. There is someone at this desk twenty four hours a day; you'll have no problem there on your way out."

Nicole thanked the clerk, and continued on to the dining room to join her group for tea.

*****

The group looked at her as if she were slightly demented. She'd protested one last time as Janet, dragging the other two along by force of will, laid down the fashion law to the reluctant redhead.

"Give ower, y'a kiddin’." Janet's Geordie accent grew more distinct as she struggled with her frustration. "That outfit is perfect for you."

"You're not going to give up on this, are you." Nicole said, resigning herself to an uncomfortable level of exposure.

Melissa shook her head. "You'll fit right in with us. That skirt isn't any shorter than ours are, and you know it. If I can do this, you can, too."

Nicole acquiesced to the demands, as she had to Kate's original selection of the outfit. It *did* look good, but that didn't mean she was comfortable wearing it. She’d have to pay attention to how she sat tonight at supper, though. There was no margin for error; she would wind up flashing everyone if she didn't keep her legs together as she took her seat.

~It could be worse. At least it will be all women even if I make a mistake.~

It was small consolation, however.

The cocktail party that evening went better than she'd expected, as she circulated through the crowd after supper. The conversations were becoming easier as she used the practice from the past few days to respond appropriately to questions, and initiate lines of questioning of her own.

At the same time, she deliberately worked at calibrating her reaction to alcohol, carefully sipping at a martini as she wandered the room. She had plenty of time to recover if she were more susceptible than she had anticipated.

The party didn't last terribly late, coming to a slow close between nine and nine-thirty. Nicole and her group made their way back to their rooms, reluctantly taking their leave of new friends. They took time to exchange contact information and e-mail addresses along with promises to keep each other updated on their doings.

A last round of reluctant hugs was exchanged, and Nicole was alone again. It was time to complete her packing and get some rest for a very long day tomorrow.

~Kate will want to get together, I suspect. I hope I can get some rest on the plane so I can stay awake enough to keep up with her.~

A quick change into a nightgown, a quick and careful packing of the evening's outfit, and she was ready to settle in for what sleep she could manage before her alarm went off at five o'clock.

*****
Saturday, February 03, 2001
Somerley
6:30AM GMT

Nicole had heard the patter of the raindrops on the window as the harsh buzz of the alarm clock dragged her from her sleep, and she'd taken the precaution of braiding her hair this morning to keep it from looking as bedraggled as it would were it to hang loose in the rain if it continued. It was still a nuisance.

It was a classic, steady, soaking rain that was the stereotypical English weather, and had set in during the night. The timing was perfect to make the loading of the car as inconvenient as possible for anyone wanting to stay dry.

Breakfast had been a bagel with cream cheese, some yogurt with fruit, and a hard-boiled egg. Quick, light, and sufficient for the trip to the airport, and it took little time to consume. Immediately afterward, she'd moved her rental car to the bottom of the entry stairs, after trotting out to the car park where it had sat for most of the week. Loading had taken only fifteen minutes, and now she was on her way home.

The trip went tolerably well, as almost the entire trip was on major roadways, and even the occasional roundabout wasn't too bad at this early hour. Still, the trip had taken two and a half hours, and it was a full three hours before she found herself seated at her gate in Terminal 3 at Heathrow. People watching, as opposed to her more usual book, occupied her time as travelers made their hurried way to or from gates in the building. The announcements of arrivals and departures, punctuated by more general information, echoed through the relatively empty hallways. The information was occasionally overshadowed by the roar of departing jets as they began their escape to the sky.

At last, the announcement came to begin boarding for her flight. With a hoist of her computer bag and purse, Nicole took her place in the pre-boarding line.

*****
Saturday, February 03, 2001
Los Angeles International Airport
Terminal 7
2:45PM PST

~I hate airplanes! I hate flying! I especially hate L.A. International!~

Her train of thought started off grim and declined from there. Her body was screaming that it was somewhere around 11PM as best it could tell. It complained further that she'd spent the last eleven hours in an aluminum cigar, cooped up with hundreds of other people. Travel in the Boeing 777 wasn't the worst she'd experienced, certainly not when compared to some of the trips by air in the late 1960's, but she had had enough for a while.

Her sad sigh was masked by the noisy crowd surrounding her in the crowded terminal as she steered her way to the baggage claim. With luck, she'd be on her way in less than an hour. Nicole readjusted the strap of her computer case on her shoulder and forged her way toward the freedom of the warm Southern California afternoon.

*****
Los Angeles International Airport
Terminal 7
3:15PM PST

He stood watching as the redhead climbed onto the shuttle bus. They'd finally gotten lucky, and the very distinctive woman had appeared from the chaos of the crowd inside the terminal weighed down by her luggage.

Diego watched carefully as she queued up; he was here to gather information about whether this was the new Amazon Queen. He made mental notes of her build and demeanor.

~She's anything but haughty.~ He thought as she gave way to an older couple. The friendly smile and nod she returned to a man who waved her into a seat in his stead was equally out of character.

~I've been waiting all day in case Xena is on the loose, and I wind up finding a Laura Bush. What a waste of time.~ He grumbled as the shuttle pulled away, and he climbed into the car that would allow him to follow. For what it was worth.

*****
Crowne Plaza Beverly Hills
3:45PM PST

Despite having to pass through customs, it had truly taken less than an hour to make it out of the terminal and on her way. Interstate 405 had been remarkably clear, and in half an hour she'd made it to her hotel.

~That has to be a new record. Of course, with that kind of luck I'll probably pay for it sooner or later.~

It wouldn't happen immediately it seemed. The hotel had overbooked, but as she'd arrived on time they had upgraded her to a suite. She almost sagged with relief and fatigue as the door closed behind her.

She took a few minutes to unpack, examining the clothing as it was pulled out and deciding that for the time being it didn't need cleaning, other than her underwear. That was quickly bagged for the laundry service.

A quick last look around convinced her that everything was properly put away. It was time to give Tigger a call.

*****

They sat outside the hotel, in sight of the entry, as they waited for their quarry's next move. It was a typical surveillance situation, with hours of mind-numbing boredom waiting for anything to happen, interspersed with the patient following of utterly pedestrian activities.

They were the second shift, and near the end of their four-hour watch. In fifteen minutes, a car would pull up nearby with their relief, and they'd be free to return to the office to debrief with their supervisor.

*****

Nicole finally pulled out her cell phone and dialed Kate. It took a couple of rings before she picked up.

"Hello?" The familiar voice was warming to the travel-weary redhead.

"Hey, Tigger! I finally got into my hotel. Everything's unpacked, so I thought I'd let you know it's too late to run."

"NICOLE!" Kate almost squealed in delight as she recognized the caller.

The utter delight in Kate's voice, combined with the fatigue Nicole felt, nearly brought tears of joy to her eyes. Despite the busyness of the travel, it was still a lonely life. The thought that there was someone out there who really cared that much was a huge emotional boost. She turned her attention back to the phone.

Kate continued, "How were your last two weeks? How was your trip? Have you had dinner?"

"Slow down, sis!" the redhead chuckled. "I'm at the hotel in Beverly Hills. I haven't eaten dinner, but I wondered if you wanted to get together this evening or just wait till tomorrow."

"Get real, Nicole," Kate said, gently chiding, "I've been waiting for two weeks. I'm not going to wait till tomorrow. Mom said you're invited over for dinner tonight at six o'clock, and I figured you could pull out your swim suit tomorrow and we could hit the beach for some sun. We don't get days this nice too often this time of the year."

"Ummmm...."

Giggles came over the phone connection. "Don't tell me; let me guess. We need to shop for swimwear, right?"

"Wellllll...."

"Okay, sis. The mall is basically on the way from where you are to here. Meet me at the same entrance we used last time, and we'll take care of this dreadful wardrobe deficiency. Can you make it in fifteen minutes or so?"

"I'll be there." Nicole's voice turned more serious. "It'll be good to see you again. Bye, sis."

"Bye, Nicole."

*****

The woman who came out of the hotel seemed to have a bounce to her step. The team watched as she jumped into the Grand Prix, and followed at a discreet distance as she made her way to the Beverly Mall.

~Oh no!~ Came the tandem thoughts, as one of the men got out to follow.

*****
Beverly Mall

The only warning was the rapid steps approaching from behind. Nicole turned to see Kate rushing up; there was just time to brace herself and open her arms to embrace the new arrival.

"It's so good to see you again!" Nicole squeezed the brunette gently, receiving a hug in return. "I really missed you the last couple of weeks."

"It's good to have you home. I'd like to just do some shopping with you, but if we're going to make it back in time for dinner we need to get going. Come on." Kate grabbed the redhead's hand and pulled her toward the chosen store.

*****

The look of dismay on the man's face as the women rushed off was comical.

*****

"No."

"Oh, come on! It'll look good on you."

"No!"

"Nicole, it's fine. Lots of girls will be wearing this style."

"Kate, I use more material to floss my teeth at night than there is in this whole suit!"

"You're exaggerating. It isn't that small, and it's the perfect color for you."

Nicole closed her eyes and took a deep breath as she composed her thoughts. Reaching over, she gently took her sister's head between her hands.

"Kate, you know I love you, right? And *I* know without question that you really believe what you're saying." She dropped her voice a little more. "I've never worn a bikini before; I'm really not ready to jump into the deep end of the pool on this one. I trust your fashion sense, but I need to start this one a little slower. Please?"

Her companion's face took on a compassionate smile. "I'm sorry, sis. You're doing so well that sometimes I forget how new you are to all this. There were a couple of other sets that I think you'll be ready to handle." A glint appeared in her eye. "But next time, I won't be so easy to convince!"

The tall redhead chuckled as she replied, "By the next time, maybe I'll be more ready. Now let's take a look at those other suits."

The alternative choices of suits were still bikinis, but were large enough that Nicole thought she could handle being in public with either of them on. They finally settled on a mint green, halter-top style suit. The two added a white robe and thong sandals before heading for the Tanner home.

As Nicole looked over suits, and checking to ensure there was no one in ear shot, she quickly mentioned her discovery of a new potential Amazon.

"I'll go into detail when time permits, but I ran into another candidate while I was in England. Her name is Judith Epps. She's married to David Epps, and they have a daughter named Miriam. The little one is incredibly cute! I spoke with Judith and her husband, but they haven't decided what to do, yet. I gave them your cell phone number as someone else who's involved in the Amazons. If either Judith or her husbandcalls, just tell them what you know."

"I'll do my best, you know that."

*****
Tanner Home

Marie gave Nicole a warm hug in welcome as the tall redhead entered the house. There was little trace of the concern that had colored the last visit. Despite the time between visits, Nicole was curious as to the reason for the change of attitude.

Kate handled the interrogation duties, quizzing her friend for details about her activities for the last two weeks, as Mrs. Tanner split her time between listening and working at preparing the meal.

"So that's why you're walking differently now."

Nicole grimaced. "Yes, they insisted that we practice walking like a runway model or a dancer. It took three days concentrating on the posture and keeping my step smooth before the book quit slipping off my head."

Mr. Tanner appeared from a back room, having heard the heightened activity in the kitchen. He gave his daughter a quick hug, and smiled at the new arrival.

"Welcome back, Nicole. How was the latest trip?"

She recapped the time between her visits, carefully editing out the time at Michael's cabin. There was a brief interruption in the tale as she helped get the table ready, but she soon resumed her story.

Mrs. Tanner tried to shoo her out of the kitchen during cleanup again, but Nicole insisted that there had to be something she could do. She wanted to be more than just a guest here, and this was a gentle way, a non-threatening way, to start to show that. There was a warmth and comfort here that she had missed more than she'd realized.

They finally agreed that she could clear the table while Kate and her mother loaded the dishwasher and cleaned up the kitchen.

The time change caught up with the redhead soon after the cleanup was complete. After a jaw-cracking yawn, she apologized to her hosts. "I'm sorry. I feel like it's three in the morning. I hate to eat and run, but I'm awfully tired."

Kate patted her shoulder. "That's okay; we understand. Will you be going to Mass with us tomorrow? We've been going to the eight-thirty service."

Fighting to suppress another yawn, Nicole replied that that was fine and she'd meet the family at the church tomorrow morning.

*****

She made it back safely, though her fatigue made her wonder if it might have been wiser to just crash at the Tanners. She almost staggered into her room, and was grateful she had little in the way of make-up to remove. Running on autopilot, she cleaned up and was in bed with the lights out by nine o'clock.

She’d paid no attention to the car parked near the hotel with the two men sitting inside.

*****
Sunday, February 04, 2001
Crowne Plaza Hotel

Nicole was waiting just outside the lobby.

Services with Kate, Alex, and the elder Tanners had gone as expected, and an early lunch followed. Instructions were given for Nicole to return to her hotel and change for the beach. Alex would pick up Kate, then swing by to get Nicole as they made their way to the shore.

Mrs. Tanner also gave instructions that they were all three expected to be present for dinner, which was scheduled for six o'clock.

So she found herself standing in the warm sunshine of a glorious Southern California day, clad in her new swim suit, sandals, and an all-too-small robe. She tried to direct her attention to anything other than the people passing by; she knew she'd blush even worse if she made eye contact.

*****

Times like this were part of the compensation for the dreary hours of watching. They were being paid -- *paid* -- to sit around and watch a pretty girl in a bikini. The video camera had a telephoto lens that was, at this moment, his favorite piece of equipment. No doubt he'd be popular himself, if the men in the office just happened to find out where the raw footage was kept on the server.

*****

The rush of relief as Alex and Kate drove up was immense, and it almost looked like the redhead teleported into the car.

It took the better part of an hour to arrive at the local's beach and park. It was a little out of the way, but was far less crowded than the well-known sites closer to the city. The breeze off the water was cool, and the water was certainly too cold for comfort, but the three staked out a patch of sand and enjoyed a quiet afternoon soaking up sunshine. They stirred only to turn over, or re-apply sunscreen.

It took a while to settle down, but finally even Nicole's tension over her bikini waned. Alex had complimented the look as they settled in on the sand, but radiated only a momentary burst of the lust that she'd feared. Kate's choice in companionship was proving to be sound.

~He'll need to know, sooner rather than later. I'll have to find time to talk to Kate in private.~

She found the gentle crashing of the surf and the hiss of wind through the vegetation on the beach, and the company of friends, the perfect remedy for travel fatigue.

They packed up at four o'clock. Nicole was dropped off at the hotel so she could clean up and change clothes. Alex dropped Kate off on his way to do the same.

Kate, Alex, and Nicole convened again at the Tanner's. The meal wasn't fancy, just fish with rice and a salad, but it was a warm and homey setting that added a savor that even the fancy, multi-course meals she'd had recently never approached.

*****

The time change had again caught up with Nicole, and she returned to her hotel by nine. She wasn't quite as tired as on Saturday, as she'd caught little cat-naps on the beach between sunscreen applications. Tomorrow was likely to be busy, so she wanted to be up and alert for whatever activity lay ahead.

*****

Diego and his subordinates had gathered to review the information gleaned from their surveillance. He was required to report this evening, once they were sure she was done for the day. As they waited, they covered her activities since her arrival -- such as they were -- and set up their presentation to include select photographs. Several of the pictures were, however, already making the rounds as screen savers or wallpaper.

After the stakeout team reported that the woman had returned to her hotel and the light was out, the group made a last pass through the information. Diego dialed the direct-access number for Carson's cell phone.

"Hello?"

"Mister Sinclair, this is the Los Angeles office. We have an initial report for you."

"Good. Summarize it and e-mail the detailed presentation tonight. I'll look it over and call if I have questions."

"Yes, sir. To summarize, Miss Harrison arrived on the two forty-five flight from Heathrow on Saturday. She went immediately to the Crowne Plaza in Beverly Hills. Shortly after, she was observed leaving and headed for the Beverly Mall where she met another young woman whom she seems to know. They purchased a bikini, and then left for a house in West Hollywood owned by a family named Tanner. We have begun investigating that family. She stayed there until eight o'clock, returning directly to her hotel and turning her light out by nine. No activity was observed until the next morning.

"Today Miss Harrison attended Mass with the Tanners, returned to the Tanner house, returned to her hotel, apparently to change, and spent the afternoon on a local beach with the young woman she'd met at the mall Saturday and a young man named Alexander DeMarco who was, based on his actions, close to the young woman. We're attempting to develop information on him as well based on his license plate. Miss Harrison again stayed until about eight o'clock and returned directly to her hotel. Her light was out by nine o'clock. We placed the video and still photographs on the server in the same directory as the detailed report and summary presentation."

The line was silent for a moment as the man on the other end of the phone considered the information. "All right, Diego. You made a good start. Continue your surveillance, and see what you can find out about the Tanner family. I'll call tomorrow at ten o'clock your time, after I've studied your initial report. Anything you want to add?"

"No sir, nothing at this time."

"Good job so far, people. Keep it up." The phone line disconnected.

Diego looked at his team. "All right, let's pick it up in the morning. Get some rest, and I'll see you tomorrow."

Notes:

Readers, Please Remember to Leave a Comment

up
61 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Yeah, she isn't what one

Yeah, she isn't what one would expect from an amazon queen.

thank you for writing this interesting story,
Beyogi

And *that*

is the whole point.

Which Artemis *will* get a handle on eventually.

Nicole (a.k.a. Itinerant)

--
Veni, Vidi, Velcro:
I came, I saw, I stuck around.

range of her empathic abilities

can she feel people watching her from a distance and if so how far out.
or will that grow over time.
what are the numbers after the dates? "Monday, February 5, 2001(84/51)"
good chapter, thanks

Range and numbers

Her range, at the moment, is only about 20 to 30 feet for non-Amazons. That will increase, but not beyond 100 feet.

For Amazons? That's a much longer range, low intensity link. Nicole can get a hint of strong emotions from any of her sister Amazons, and vice-versa in lesser degree. Kate's special in that her connection to Nicole is stronger.

The numbers? Those are the high and low temps, in Farenheit. When I set the location and date for a scene, I look up what the weather conditons are. Rainy, clear, warm, whatever. That let's me get a handle on details that will affect clothing, etc. Such as whether a beach visit is practical, or frosty English mornings ...

Yes, I can be a trifle obesessive.

Nicole (a.k.a. Itinerant)

--
Veni, Vidi, Velcro:
I came, I saw, I stuck around.