A Christmas Carol

Printer-friendly version
Synopsis:

An alternative to Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol.

I would like to thank Charles Dickens for all the help and assistance in writing this piece.

Story:

I wrote this story in 1999 and have revisited it to make some changes that I think make it a better story. I hope that you enjoy this story as much as I had writing it. I would like to thank Charles Dickens for all the help and assistance in writing this piece.

If you would like to email me about this story or anything else, I am at [email protected]

A Christmas Carol

By Susan Brown

Chapter 1

Ebenezer Scrooge walked towards the door of the gloomy set of rooms that had once belonged to his late un-lamented partner Jacob Marley.

It was Christmas Eve and he was in a foul mood.

Bob Cratchit, his worthless clerk had had the temerity to almost demand the following day off, just because it was Christmas Day! Next he would be asking for Sundays off! There was no end to it all once it started.

Then there were those old fools who came to his office and expected him, Ebenezer Scrooge to give his precious money to the poor.

Scrooge smiled, a rare thing for him, as he remembered their faces when he said to them, 'Are there no prisons or Union Workhouses for these people? What, they would rather die, would they? Well they would at least decrease the surplus
population if they did so.'

The smile was wiped off his face as he recalled the visit of his Nephew, who as usual asked him to visit his home on Christmas Day. 'Interfering young fool. He has no money to spend on Christmas and year after year he wastes money on that day of frivolity and excess. I want nothing to do with it. It's all humbug.'

It was a cold dark night and the wind whipped at the tails of his coat. He reached the door to his rooms and fiddled with his keys, shivering with the effects of the biting wind.

As he fumbled with the lock in the gloom of the single hissing gas street lamp, he looked up at the knocker and gasped. Instead of the solid brass knocker, there was the ghostly face of his old partner Jacob Marley! He gasped at the eerie visage. He shook his head and closed his eyes for a second.

When he Scrooge opened his eyes again, he saw only the plain old knocker again. The blood ran cold in his veins as with shaking hands, he opened the door and checked on the other side to see if there was any sign of Jacob. There was nothing. With a sigh, he locked and bolted the door behind him.

With a 'Pooh, pooh and humbug', he lit his candle and went up the vast cold damp staircase to his cheerless bedroom.

He opened the door, walked in and just in case, he checked under the bed, table, sofa and other places for Jacob. He sighed with relief as he found them to be clear of any sign of his former partner.

He got undressed and put on his nightshirt, dressing gown, slippers, and nightcap. He then sat down by his meagre fire to eat his supper of luke warm gruel.

Scrooge was finishing his supper when all of a sudden he heard the clanging of bells throughout the empty house. This continued for about a minute and then altogether stopped.

He was frightened at the cause of this sudden noise and then his terror grew apace as he heard the thump, thump, thump of chains coming up the stairs towards this very room!

'Its all Humbug.' He said aloud, but without much conviction.

The clank of chains grew louder and finally he saw a ghostly shape come through the door and stand in front of him. He cried out with fear as he realised that it was Jacob Marley, come back from the dead to haunt him.

'What do you want of me?' cried Scrooge.

'In life I was your partner, Jacob Marley.'

'I know that but why do you haunt me so? You are fettered,' said Scrooge, trembling. 'Tell me why?'

'I wear the chains I forged in life,' replied the ghost. 'I made it link by link, and yard by yard; I girded it on of my own free will, and of my own free will I wore it. Is it's pattern strange to you?'

Scrooge trembled more and more.

'Or would you know,' pursued the Ghost, 'the weight and length of the strong coil you bear yourself? It was full as heavy and as long as this, seven Christmas Eves ago. You have laboured on it, since. It is a ponderous chain! Our quest for money at any cost is the price my chains and chains that are, as we speak being forged for
you.'

Scrooge shuddered uncontrollably. He looked on in terror as these damning words came out of the ghostly apparition before him.

'What can I do to stop this thing?'

There was a ghostly cackle, without mirth from Marley as he said. 'There is very little you can do. A mere mortal cannot undo what you have done. But you may have a chance of repentance. My time here draws to an end so I must be quick. You will be haunted by three spirits. Expect the first when the bell tolls one. Take heed of what you see and hear for if you do not, none can save you.'

With those final chilling words, Marley turned and walked out of the room, disappearing through the door. Scrooge heard the terrible clanking fading away into the distance until all he could hear was his own laboured breath and the beating of his over active heart.

Chapter 2

Unsteadily he went to his cold bed. He hid under the covers and heard with trepidation the bell toll 12 o'clock. Then, every quarter, on the quarter, the bell tolled and his terror increased more and more. At long last, after what seemed an eternity, he heard the clock strike one.

Nothing happened.

All was quiet. His sense of hearing was heightened and he could here the scuttling of the rats behind the walls, but nothing else.

'Bah, humbug,' said Scrooge without much conviction.

It was now 10 minutes past the hour and still no apparition appeared.

He closed his eyes, thinking that he must have imagined all that had happened to him on this strange night. His body relaxed more and he was dropping off to sleep.

Suddenly there was a great light in the room and a hand drew the curtains of his bed aside. It was the hand of a child. Then he saw the face, it was a girl with an incredibly young face but white hair, as white as the snow now falling outside. The girl was dressed in a long white flowing garment. Her head was garlanded in gold and a light shone from her. It lit the room with an unnatural and unearthly glow.

'I am the ghost of Christmas Past.'

'Long past?' enquired Scrooge.

'Your past. Now rise, hold my hand and walk with me.'

'I am mortal,' Scrooge remonstrated, 'and liable to fall.'

'Bear but a touch of my hand there,' said the Spirit, laying it upon his heart, 'and
you shall be upheld in more than this!'

As the words were spoken, they passed through the wall, and stood upon an open country road, with fields on either hand. The city had entirely vanished. Not a vestige of it was to be seen. The darkness and the mist had vanished with it, for it was a clear, cold, winter day, with snow upon the ground.

They were above a house in the midst of the countryside. Scrooge looked with disbelief.

'That was my home as a boy!' he exclaimed.

They floated down and passed through an upstairs window as if it was not there.

In the room was a boy child of about seven. He was holding a small dress up against himself and looking in the mirror. He was lost in his own thoughts and the expression on his face was that of complete happiness and serenity.

'Why, that is me as a child!' whispered Scrooge.

'He cannot hear you Ebenezer.'

'Why did you bring me here?'

'To show you and remind you of things past that were important to you.'

'But I am ashamed at seeing myself like this.'

'Why ashamed?'

Scrooge hesitated; he did not wish to speak of things that he had hoped to forget.

'I am ashamed to be seen wanting to wear my sisters dress.' He said finally.

As they watched the young Ebenezer, they saw him go over to the door, peep out and then close and lock the door gently. He quickly took off his clothes and put the dress over his head and his arms through the sleeves. He tried to do up as
many buttons as possible but could not reach a few of them. He then adjusted the dress and then the satin garment was to his satisfaction.

The boy went back to the mirror and looked at himself with glee. He turned around, did a twirl and curtsied in front of the mirror. He then went over to a drawer and got out a pretty satin bonnet, he put it on his head and tied the pink
ribbon under his chin. When he went back to the mirror, he gasped with delight at the vision of loveliness before him.

Old Scrooge looked on with a smile on his face, remembering this best of times.

'You remember this then, Ebenezer?'

'Oh yes, Spirit, I was happy then.'

'You remember what happened a few days after this?'

Scrooge no longer looked happy as the scene changed. It was evening and the boy was in bed and only the night-light dimly lit the room.

Suddenly the door opened with a crash and a man walked in. Old Scrooge instantly knew who it was - his Father and he was drunk again.

Father walked purposefully over to the bed and whipped the sheets off.

Old Scrooge knew what was coming and hid behind the robe of the Spirit as his Father exposed the boys' very feminine and frilly nightgown.

The boy cried out as he was dragged out of bed, stripped naked and hit on his behind with his Fathers belt.

As he was hit his Father shouted 'I told you before boy, that if I caught you wearing your Sisters clothes, I would beat you. Now I find you with your Mothers nightdress on, God rest her soul. It is wrong for a boy to dress as a girl. You are a moral degenerate, evil and need to be punished.

Old Scrooge cried as he saw the humiliation of his boyhood suffering.

'This scene effected the whole of your life, didn't it Ebenezer.'

'Yes Spirit, I knew that it was wrong to be dressed as a girl, but in my heart of hearts I knew that I had been born in the wrong body, I was a girl in my mind but a boy in my body. I tried to fight it. I tried so hard to be a good boy for my Father but after Mother died I had no one to turn to. She would have understood me. My Sister knew that I had dressed in her clothes occasionally. She caught me once in a dress of hers. She said that she didn't mind my dressing in her clothes but if Father caught me, she would disown any knowledge of my peculiar habit. Father caught me once before and I just said that I was playing dress up. But he told me that if ever saw me wearing girls clothes again I would be punished and sent away.'

'The trouble was Ebenezer, you did dress again.'

'Yes I do not know the reason why, but I was somehow compelled to continue wearing my Sisters clothes. This night, I thought my Father had gone away on business and I knew that our maid had gone to bed early. I had an old satin nightdress that I had found in the bottom of my Mothers wardrobe. I hid it at the back of my closet, awaiting an opportunity to wear it. I thought that this night at least I could wear it and dream of being a girl without being caught out. I was wrong though.'

Old Scrooge and the Spirit looked down at the painful scene. Finally the boy's agony was at an end. He was told to put on his nightshirt and go back to bed.

Chapter 3

The scene faded to nothing and then the spirit took Ebenezer's hand and they travelled over hill and vale. It seemed to take an age before they hovered over an old pile of a building that stood in its own grounds. It was a depressing place, run down for want of paint and a good roof. As they arrived, it was getting dark in that forbidding place.

The Spirit led Scrooge through a faintly lit upstairs window. It was a dormitory. A boy of not more than twelve years occupied one bed. He was small, thin and was crying his very heart out.

A man walked into the room. The sound of his boots could be heard reverberating as he crossed the floorboards to where the prostrate boy lay.

'Well Scrooge, this is a fine thing isn't it. How could you possibly think you could get away with it? Three days ago you were caught stealing from matron. And what did you steal off her washing line? Undergarments, sir. Female undergarments. Have you no shame, sir? No remorse?'

The boy looked up at the man, who was the headmaster of that worthy place and just said after sniffing, 'I am so sorry Sir. I do not know what came over me. I will not do it again.'

'Indeed you will not, boy.'

Old Scrooge held on to the Spirits hand as he watched the tragedy unfold below them. The Spirit could see the grief on his face and said, 'You still wanted to be a girl, Ebenezer?'

'Oh yes Spirit, more than anything in the World. It was my one and only wish.'

The headmaster was speaking again. 'We have no room for ungodly perversions in this place. We aim to send boys out with moral backbone and fibre. You have none and therefore we do not wish you to taint us with your presence any longer. You are expelled sir. I have full authority from your Father and I have communicated with a counting house in the City. They will take you on as a clerk, starting tomorrow. Here is the address of the establishment. A coach will be outside the door in 30 minutes, pack your things and leave us. You will not communicate with anyone else before you go.'

With that, the headmaster left without another word and the sad boy put his meagre things together and left the room.
As Ebenezer watched himself leaving his school for the last time, he remembered the humiliation of that moment, the tears that were close to the surface and the knowledge that he had somehow lost his childhood. He also remembered deciding that no longer would he be a child doing childish things. He would now have to work and put everything including his family in the past.

The Spirit looked at old Scrooge, saw the pain and suffering in his eyes and said, 'Well Ebenezer, have you learnt anything from the sad scenes you have witnessed?'

'Well Spirit, I do not know why you have shown me the most painful times of my life, but I assume that you have good reason. I know that when I left the school, I vowed never to try to be a girl again. It was very hard at first. I had sudden urges that I found difficult to control. But after a while I worked as hard as ever I could, put my wants and needs to the back of my mind and gradually worked my way to the position that I am now.'

'Which is?

‘I have my own business. I own my dwellings. I do not need or want for anything.'

'And what of your nephew and Bob Cratchit and those that ask for your help at Christmas. What of them Ebenezer Scrooge?'

'I have worked hard and long to get where I am. I expect others to do so.'

Suddenly Scrooge found himself back in his own bedroom.

The Spirit looked upon the old man lying on the bed and said 'You need to learn that work is not everything. The need, want and desire for the accumulation of personal wealth is not the be and end all of life. You should not deny your true
self. Another Spirit shall visit you on the strike of the next hour. Perhaps this visitation can help you find your true self.'

With that the Spirit disappeared in a flash of bright light.

Chapter 4

The room was once again in near darkness. The sputter of the candle night-light was the only noise in the room until Scrooge heard the bell toll. What time was it? 12 o'clock again! What was happening? How could it possibly be 12 o’clock again? It was still dark outside. Time was playing tricks on him.

The old man huddled under the bedclothes, hearing the quarters strike on the bell of his grandfather clock. The tick grew louder and louder in the darkness until it seemed to keep time with his heavily beating heart.

Finally the hour of 1 o'clock was heard to sound. Suddenly he could hear a sound from his sitting room across the corridor. He hesitantly got out of bed, put his slippers on, made sure that his nightcap was firmly in place and walked over to the heavy oak bedroom door. He could hear sounds of laughter coming from across the way. He carefully opened the door and peaked out. Sure enough, the sound was coming from his sitting room. He crept over to the door and gently
opened it. Ebenezer’s heart was in his mouth and despite the cold and he was sweating
profusely.

Scrooge poked his head around the corner.

'Come in Ebenezer. Do not be afraid.' Boomed a voice from within.

Ebenezer went in to the room.

'I am the Ghost of Christmas Present,' said the Spirit. 'Look upon me!'

Scrooge saw a fat jolly woman in robes of green. She had a holly wreath upon her head and her face was genial and sparkling in the extreme.

Within the room were all manner of sweet meats, fruits without number, turkeys, geese, brawn, sausages, punch and many other things too numerous to mention. A huge fire was crackling in the grate and the room looked more cheerful than it had ever done before.

'What to do want of me good Spirit?' asked Scrooge. 'If you wish to teach me, I am ready to listen with all my heart.'

'Touch my robe,'

Scrooge touched her robe and instantly all the food vanished instantly, together with the blazing fire and cheerful room.

The Spirit led him across the skies. He could see the town below him and although the houses were dirty and blackened with chimney soot, the whole place had a cheerful air to it. There were lanterns in windows; lights in porches; Christmas trees aplenty and everywhere had the air of expectancy that only Christmas can bring. The streets were crowded with happy faces carrying parcels for loved ones. The children were ogling through the windows of brightly-lit shops, looking at toys, sweets and so much else. Adults were laughing and hallooing one another. It started snowing gently. As the snow began to lie on the ground, the houses, trees, roads, and everything else began to look clean, bright and white.

The Spirit took Scrooge over some the rooftops to the outskirts of the town. Children were playing with snowballs in the street and snowmen were springing up everywhere.

Beneath a lamppost, carol singers sang at the top of their voices and passers by all put a penny or two into the hat for those less fortunate than themselves.

The Spirit and Scrooge stopped outside a house with a decorated tree outside. On the door was a holly wreath. They went through the door as if it was not there and inside was a cheerful house, seemingly full of playing children. Although there
were only three, two boys and a girl, you would have thought from the noise, that whole armies of them were present. They passed the children unseen and went into the parlour.

Scrooge gasped, as he saw none other than his Nephew and his wife. They were deep in hushed conversation as they decorated a splendid Christmas tree with tinsel and other bright things.

‘Those children are making so much noise Fred, I can hardly think!’

‘Well it’s only once a year. Let them be happy.’

Scrooge’s niece laughed and then suddenly looked sad.

‘What is wrong my love?’ asked Fred with concern.

‘Nothing.’

‘Yes there is. What is it? Come on we have no secrets.’

‘I was just thinking of our dear little girl, Carol.’

‘Oh my dear, don’t be sad, God is looking after her I am sure.’

‘But to be still born, without a chance of life; It is so cruel and harsh.’

‘I know, my love, I know, but remember we must be thankful for what we have. A lovely home and three wonderful children to be proud of. Let us be happy and thankful for what we have and not be sad at this wonderful festive time.’

Scrooge’s niece perked up at this and the couple happily finished off dressing the tree.

Scrooge looked on, remembering hearing about the stillbirth of a girl a several years ago and feeling guilty that he had been so wrapped up in his work that he paid little attention to the sad happening.

He was brought back to the present as he heard his name being mentioned by his nephew.

'Well, my dear, I tried to get my Uncle Ebenezer to come again but he refused.'

'I do not know why you bother with him. He always says that he does not celebrate Christmas. You know how stingy and mean he is. I pity poor Bob Cratchit and his family. How they can manage on the pittance he pays, I do not know.'

'There, there my dear, I know how you feel about my Uncle, but he is flesh and blood. I feel sorry for him. He has no life except the counting and keeping of money. I don't have so much but at least we are happy.'

'What made him so mean, I wonder?'

Scrooges' nephew lowered his voice and said. 'Well, you must never tell a soul but my Mother told me that as a child my uncle enjoyed dressing as a girl. He wanted to be a girl and the only way he could express himself was by borrowing her
clothes and wearing them in secret.'

Scrooges niece looked sad and said, 'Poor boy. To need something that bad that he has to do things in secret.'

'I know. My Mother warned him that if Grandfather caught him he would be in grave trouble, but it did not stop him and he was caught twice. Eventually he was sent away to school and he stole some clothes belonging to the matron. I do not know all the details but I do know that grandfather disowned him and made him work in the city. Eventually he worked his way up in the company until he came to be a partner with old Marley. After he went to the city, he evidently changed into the sad old prune that we know now.'

'Poor man to know no happiness, just because he was unable to be himself.'

'My mother told me that when he was young, Ebenezer was such a happy child. It all changed when my grandmother died. Grandfather never got over the loss of his wife and died embittered. Ebenezer was a grave disappointment to him.'

'It is such a shame that your uncle could not dress as he wished. It must have been a terrible time for him that his father should reject him so.'

'Yes. I could not care less which way he dresses. If he is happy and contented and does no harm to others then why should he not be as a woman? I love him because he is my uncle. He has had a terrible past and if there was any way at all that I could make him happy, I would do so. I do declare that if any of our children wanted to dress as the other sex, I at least would not reject him or her'

'That is why I love you so much, my dear. You have love and compassion for all of us. Now let us go and see what the children are doing. They make so much noise that the house is in danger of collapsing around our ears!'

The Spirit took Scrooge away and they went off into the night. On their long travels throughout the land, they visited many and diverse houses. In all of them, almost without exception, they would see happy people preparing for Christmas on the morrow. Children, couples old people, all in their own way they celebrated the coming of Christmas. Presents were being wrapped and turkeys were being plucked and prepared for tomorrows feast.

They travelled for many hours. They then reached the sea and there in a lighthouse at the edge of the land were two men sitting and enjoying their own company. A bottle of brandy was between them and they were recounting Christmases past with much merriment.

The Spirit then took Scrooge across the water to a ship sailing on the high seas.

Even in this place, miles from anywhere or anyone, there was happiness as the sailors sang carols, laughed and got ready for Christmas at sea.

Finally, the Spirit returned to the land and Scrooge found himself back in his own town. The snow now lay thickly upon the ground and less people were about. The spirit took Scrooge to the four-roomed house that was Bob Cratchits'.

They came in at a time when the children were abed. Bob and his wife were sitting around a cheerful little fire talking and drinking in the peace of the evening.

'So I said to Mr. Scrooge, can I have all of Christmas day off. All he said was that I would want Sundays off next.'

'What a mean old screw.' Said Mrs. Cratchit, ‘And him with more money than anyone else in town. What good does it do him I don't know.'

'Now, now, let's not have that kind of talk on Christmas Eve my dear. He has paid us and kept us in food these years. At least we have a roof over our heads and for that I thank him.'

'You are too soft by half, Bob Cratchit. He pays you so poorly that we cannot afford the doctor for Tiny Tim, so don't go telling me he is such a benevolent employer because I won't believe it.'

'Now then my dear, we cannot blame Mr. Scrooge for Tiny Tim's illness. Let us think of happier things like tomorrow and the children's faces as they open their presents. However, despite what you say, in the spirit of good will to all men I toast Mr Scrooge and wish him a happy Christmas.'

'I will join you, but only because its Christmas.'

'Merry Christmas Mr Scrooge.' They both said, but with a lack of enthusiasm which was painfully obvious to the watching Scrooge.

Chapter 5.

The scene went faded away and Scrooge found himself back in bed.

The Spirit was standing over him, looking jolly and full of the joys of Christmas.

'Well Ebenezer, what have your learned from me?'

Scrooge thought and said, 'I have learned that there is more to life than counting money. Giving is better than receiving. People are important and make the world what it is and that you must be true to yourself. Otherwise how can you be true to others?'

'What, are there no prisons, are there no workhouses?'

Scrooge hung his head in shame at the words being thrown back at him.

The clock struck 12 and when Scrooge looked up, she was gone.

As Scrooge awaited the final visitation, he pondered at what he had seen and heard.

He knew now that his life had been wasted and tarnished by an unhappy childhood.

His mother, lost to him at a dreadfully young and impressionable age. He had shut out his feelings for many years. All was too late. As a child, he had desperately wanted to be a girl. When this did not happen and he was forced to live a lie, something died within him. He had turned into a sour old prune, unloved and unlovable. Oh he remembered the fine words of his nephew, but these were out of feelings of compassion and duty towards a blood relative, nothing else.

Scrooge knew that he had been a harsh self-opinionated tartar, spreading gloom wherever he went. Under paying and under valuing Bob Cratchit and ignoring the plight of others worse off than himself. All the self-loathing that had been
under the surface all these many years bubbled to the surface. The fact that he had lost his mother and that his father had disowned him for wearing girls clothes was bad enough. But the final thing that made him feel so terrible and empty was that he was not a girl and would never be so. He wept then, the tears of remorse and self-hatred.

He heard the quarters go on the clock, looking forward to seeing the final ghost and so to end this longest of nights.

The clock bell struck twelve. The noise reverberated about the house. It sounded
like the knell of doom. He then heard the successive quarters strike like blows to his heart. Then finally it was once again One o’clock.

Scrooge lifted up his eyes to see a ghostly figure in front of him. The figure was hooded and he could not see a face. Whether it was a man or woman, he could not tell.

'Are you the ghost of that which is to come?'

The Spirit just pointed out of the window.

'Will you be showing me things that have yet to happen?'

The Spirit almost imperceptibly nodded and pointed to the window again.

'Do your worst Spirit. I do not think that I can feel any more pain than I already have and if I learn from my experience, then so be it.'

The Spirit moved towards the window and Scrooge followed in the shadow of its diaphanous dress.

He was taken up and over the town everything was grey in the mist of the future. He was cold and he shivered through his thin nightshirt.

The Spirit took him to a house. They entered through a window and into a dingy, dark and dank bedroom.

On the bed lay a figure covered from head to foot by a none too clean sheet.

Through the sheet, Scrooge could see the outline of a thin and emaciated body.

Also in the bedroom were two people. They were rummaging around in drawers and a wardrobe.

'Well Joe,' said the woman, 'there's not much here for us.'

'Yes, the old skinflint didn't keep much did he. You would have thought, with the money he had that he would live more comfortable.'

'There will be plenty around who are glad he's dead, Joe.'

'True, a lot of poor folk owed him. I wonder who will get all his money?'

'I don't know, nay nor care, let’s just take the bed curtains and that there candlestick and get out of this place. It fair gives me the creeps with him lying there all stiff.'

The disreputable couple picked up a few things and walked out.

Scrooge looked on horrified at the scene. Who were those people? Why was he here and what did it signify? Questions were bouncing around his head making him giddy.

'Why am I here Spirit?' asked Scrooge hesitantly, not really wanting to know.

The Spirit pointed to the face under the sheet.

'You want me to see who it is?'

The phantom nodded once.

Scrooge drew back in horror. He could not do this. He dare not do it and no power on earth could make him lift the sheet from the cold corpse that lay below.

'I cannot do it. It fills me with dread. Please do not make me see who it is! Why, I must admit that this room is not unlike my own and the case of this man may be similar in some way to mine but I cannot look upon him. Please oh please kind Spirit, take me away from this. I have learned a valuable lesson that I will not forget.'

The Spirit relented and they exited that cold and macabre room and continued on the journey that Scrooge knew not where would end.

Through the dim depressing streets they went. It was cold, icy cold and the very buildings seemed to shiver in the chilly silence.

All too soon, they were at none other than Bob Cratchit's house.

They entered through a thin, badly plastered wall to find themselves in the parlour. The fire was unlit and Bob and his wife were in each other's arms, seemingly consoling one another.

'Oh, Bob, he was so young and weak. He did not have a chance.'

Bob Cratchit held his wife in his arms and said, 'Hush, my love, it was for the best. He was in pain and now his suffering is over.'

'My poor, poor Tiny Tim. Life is so cruel. Why was he made to suffer so and die far too young?'

'I do not know. The only consolation is that he is with Him now. He will look after our Tim and who knows, perhaps he will be amongst the Angels even now as we speak, free of pain and looking down upon us.'

With that Mrs. Cratchit cried her heart out.

Scrooge turned to the Spirit and said, 'Tell me that this is not true. Will Tim die? I cannot stand to think that the little boy will suffer so. Please, please let it not be.'

The Spirit said nothing. He pointed to outside and they left that tragic place and were once again out in the dim world of the future. They passed over some houses and stopped at the place where Scrooge worked.

'Why have we stopped here Spirit?'

The Spirit pointed at the window and Scrooge looked in. The furniture was different and sitting at a desk was a stranger.

'Where am I Spirit, have I moved to another place. Where am I? Please show me Spirit.'

The Spirit pointed across the road to the churchyard.

You wish me to go to the churchyard? Why Spirit. What is there that you wish me to see?'

The Spirit moved over to an overgrown part of the graveyard and stood by a gravestone. It was overgrown with weeds.

Scrooge looked towards the Spirit with dread. He now realised the import of what had been shown to him before.

'Tell me Spirit, before I look upon the stone, are these things that you have shown me but shadows of things that might be or are they alterable. If I change my ways, can the future be changed?'

The Spirit of things yet to come said nothing and just pointed at the gravestone.

Hesitantly pulling away the weeds on the gravestone, he saw what he had dreaded, his very own name, Ebenezer Scrooge.

Scrooge went on his knees and sobbed, 'and the man who lay on the bed?'

The Spirit pointed at the gravestone.

Scrooge collapsed with grief.

Some moments past and the Spirit looked on unmoving.

At last, Scrooge looked up at the strange hooded figure and said, 'Good Spirit, I have learned my lessons well. The man you see before me is not the man I was. I promise to honour Christmas in my heart. I will live in the past, present and
future, all three spirits shall strive within me. Just give me some sign that the name on this gravestone will be expunged?'

The Spirit said nothing. He held out his hand and Scrooge took it.

They went away from that place of death and Scrooge closed his eyes and prayed as he had never prayed before that his awful fate might be altered.

Chapter 6

When his eyes opened, he was back in his own bed. He could see through the shutters that it was light.

'What O'clock is it?' He wondered.

The bell on his grandfather clock then struck eight times.

'Eight O'clock! What time has past? Is Christmas gone?'

He got out of bed as sprightly as he had ever done in his life. He felt like a new man. He had looked into the future and did not like what he saw. Scrooge was determined to change it and change it now!

He threw off his nightshirt and got dressed as quickly as he could. He then threw open the shutters and looked outside. It had been snowing and it lay on the ground all crisp and clean. People were walking along the road, hurrying to goodness knows where.

He saw a boy carrying a small turkey.

'Here you boy, what a fine young man you are. What day is it?'

'Why, its Christmas Day of course Sir!'

'Fine boy. Where did you get that wonderful turkey?'

'Why sir at Mr. Jones Poulterer's.'

'Would you like to earn a shilling?'

'Ooh yes Sir!'

Then go and fetch the biggest turkey there and tell Mr. Jones to charge it to my account and bring the bird straight back here. If you are back in less than five minutes, I will give you half a crown,'

In a second, the boy was rushing down the road. Scrooge stayed at the window until the boy would return saying ‘hello, how do you do? and Merry Christmas’ to passers by one and all.

In something less than four minutes the boy was back.

Scrooge went downstairs and opened the door.

'Good fellow, you made it in time. Here's you half-crown as promised. Now you had better be off or your parents will want to know what's what.'

The boy doffed his hat and went rushing off down the road, skidding in the snow as he went.

Scrooge went over to his safe, took out his cash box, placed it next to the turkey and then put on his hat and coat. Then, with some difficulty, he picked up the cash box and the huge turkey went out of his house. He had things to do!

Walking down the road, he greeted many people, some he knew others he didn't and to every one he wished a Merry Christmas.

The turkey was so heavy and he was puffing so hard that he changed his plans to walk and hailed a cab.

He went to his lawyer and despite the fact that it was Christmas Day he quickly transacted some business while the cabby waited for him. He ensured at his Nephew would be the main beneficiary of his fortune. Also, sizeable sums were to be given to Bob Cratchit and his family and also to some deserving charities that cared for the poor and needy. All debts from poor folk were to be cancelled, forthwith.

After wishing his astonished lawyer a Merry Christmas, he continued on his journey.

'Camden Town, please cabby.'

In a short space of time he was outside Bob Cratchit's house.

He put his box and turkey out of sight and knocked on the door.

He could hear children's laughter inside and smiled at the pure sweet sound of it.

As the door opened, he composed his face.

Bob Cratchit looked upon the face of Scrooge and the laughter on his lips froze.

'Why Mr. Scrooge, is anything wrong?'

'Yes Cratchit, very wrong. Are you to keep me on this doorstep all day?'

'Sorry, sir, do come in,'

Scrooge was led into the small parlour, decorated for Christmas and seemingly full of children opening the few small presents that they had. Tiny Tim was not there. The children were ushered out, leaving just Bob and his wife looking worriedly on.

'Where is your other son Tim?' enquired Mr. Scrooge rather roughly.

'He is feeling a bit unwell, so he will be down later. How can I help you Mr. Scrooge?' said Bob.

'I am unhappy at the wage I pay you for the work that you do and…'

Bob and his wife looked horrified.

'But sir, we cannot manage with anything less. We have hungry mouths to feed and young Tim needs as much nourishment as he can get.'

'Before you interrupted me I was going to say that your salary is to be doubled.'

Scrooge laughed out loud as he saw the shock in the faces of Bob and his wife.

‘Erm, are you well Sir?’

‘As well as I have ever been Bob!’

A few minutes later they were sitting at the fire and speaking of how things were to change, for the better.

'Oh Bob how can you forgive me for treating you so unjustly over these years. I have been an old fool. Oh I forgot. Can you ask one or possibly two of your wonderful children to go and get the things outside your door?'

The children struggled as they brought in the massive turkey, the like of which they had never seen before.

'For you dear Mrs. Cratchit, I hope that it will go a little way to helping you over this lovely Christmas.'

'Oh thank you sir,' she cried as she carried the turkey out with the help of the children.

Bob and Scrooge were now alone and Scrooge picked up his cash box and opened it.

'Now Bob, you have worked for me for many years and I have underpaid you abominably.’

‘Here is  £20 to help you through your current difficulties and I would also deem it an honour if you allow me to help you with Tiny Tim's doctors fees.'

Bob looked at the notes with amazement and then broke down with relief and happiness that his little Tim would now have a good chance at life.

'I don't know how I can repay your kindness Mr. Scrooge.'

'Oh pif, poof and humbug. You have done more for me than I could ever do for you and anyway it is only money and you cannot take it with you when you die. Ha, ha!'

Scrooge stayed with the Cratchit's for two hours. He had some sherry, played with the children and had Tiny Tim on his lap for much of the time. The child was very good but so obviously ill and yet he had the happiest face in the room as games were played and songs were sung.

Eventually, Scrooge had to reluctantly go. He said his goodbyes, told Bob to have two more days off and then he was away in a cab to his Nephews house.

Chapter 7

Scrooge knocked on the door of his Nephews house.

The door was opened by the maid.

'Is your Master in?' he said with a smile.

'Yes sir, who shall I say it is?'

'Just say an old fool, my dear.'

The maid looked perplexed but led him into the study and asked him to wait.

A few seconds later, Fred entered the room with a puzzled look on his face, which cleared when he saw who it was.

'Uncle Ebenezer, I am so glad to see you!'

'Can you forgive an old fool, Fred?’

'For what Uncle?'

'For not realising that money isn't everything and family and friends are far more important.'

'Oh Uncle how glad I am that you have said that. please do stay for dinner.'

'If I am welcome, nothing would be better.'

Scrooge stayed at his Nephews until quite late and he had one of the happiest days that he had ever had in his life.

Scrooge had never really got to know his Nephew wife. He had kept away from company for so many years. He found the couple to be happy, loving and well suited to each other.

During the quieter moments (which there were few!), Scrooge thought wistfully of his childhood and his Mother. He had loved her more than life itself. How sad that he lost her so young and that his Father had never loved him. He almost felt jealous of Fred's children for having such a happy home and loving parents and he wished that he had had a chance of such a wonderful childhood (as a girl, of course!). He shrugged off his sad thoughts and reminded himself that it was Christmas! A time for happiness and goodwill to all!

His nephews’ three children were delightful and after a splendid 6-course dinner, he was on the floor playing with them as if he was a child himself and forgetting entirely the sad thoughts of before.

Fred and his wife looked on in wonderment at Scrooge as he played with the children on the hearthrug. Truly, they had never seen such a change in a man as this. It was as if he was an entirely different person.

After many hours of laughter, happiness, good food and drink and much talk of past present and future things, it was time for Scrooge to leave.

He shook the hand of his nephew, kissed his niece by marriage and the two lovely children who were by now so tired that they yawned continually. Promises were made to see them on the morrow and in no time he was being whisked off by cab to home.

Chapter 8

Scrooge looked upon the knocker of the door of his apartment. He was a little unsteady, due no doubt to the mulled wine. The knocker did not change shape or form, it was still a plain old knocker. He giggled to himself as he let himself in, lit a candle and went upstairs to bed.

He lit a big fire in the grate and in no time the room was as warm as toast.

He poured himself a glass of sherry from his decanter and got undressed for bed. He yawned; it had been a hard day.

Once he had removed his clothes, he picked up his nightshirt and looked thoughtfully at it. He hesitated and then came to a decision. He threw the nightshirt into the corner of the room and then went over to an old chest of drawers. Scrooge then rummaged through the bottom drawer. At the very bottom, there was some tissue. He carefully removed the tissue and pulled out a garment.
It was his Mothers nightdress that he had worn and had been caught in, so many years ago. He had kept it hidden away almost, but not quite forgotten, ever since.

Scrooge went over to the long mirror in the corner of the room and put the nightdress on. He marveled at the silky smoothness of the fine material as it flowed over his shoulders and down the length of his thin body. He looked at himself in the mirror and then did a twirl and finally a curtsey. He loved the reflection of the fire on the satin of his nightdress, the sensual feel of the material as it rubbed against his almost hairless body and above all, the memory of those days long ago when he imagined that he was a happy little girl and not a sad and unwanted boy that he turned out to be.

Scrooge yawned again, did another twirl and curtsey and then got into bed.

He sipped at his drink and smiled as he remembered his day. He intended to make the most of his few remaining years and make sure that he would remember the lessons that the ghosts had given him.

Scrooge finished his drink, snuffed out the candle and went to sleep with a contented smile on his face.

Scrooge went into a deep sleep. He dreamed of Christmas, snow, happy children and great feasts. He dreamt of party games and opening presents. Above all he dreamt that he was a part of the Great Spirit of Christmas where, for at least one
day in the year, petty differences and troubles were put aside.

He then dreamt that he was outside a pretty cottage. The snow was on the ground but the sun was out and light, fluffy clouds progressed slowly across the deep blue sky. He raised his arms up and he was lifted gently towards one of the clouds. Up and up he went, he looked below and the fields were like a patchwork quilt, getting
smaller and smaller as he went higher.

He passed through the cloud and all was misty. He could not see in front of his face and all was grey. Gently, almost imperceptibly he saw a glow of golden light in front of him through the mist. He drifted through the greyness towards the light. A slight breeze came up and started to move the mist away, revealing a figure in the golden light that was somehow familiar. He moved toward the figure and as he got closer he realised that he was right, he did know who it was. The figure opened its arms and beckoned Scrooge. In no time he was engulfed in the arms of his loving Mother.

Chapter 9.

Ebenezer Scrooge woke up slowly and stretched. A smile played on his lips as he remembered the lovely dream about his Mother.

He opened his eyes and looked around. He was in a strange place. His bed was huge and this was not his room! Where was he? He sat up with a start and felt something brush against his cheek. He put his hands up to his face. Hair, he had long hair! He then noticed that his arms were short and he had small hands, without any wrinkles! He lifted the sheet up, hardly daring to see what was underneath; short legs encased in a girls nightdress. What had happened? Was he mad!

He hid his head under the bed covers as he heard voices outside the door.

He heard the door open and the sound of footsteps coming towards him.

'Come on Carol, time to get up, Uncle Ebenezer will be here soon to play with you all.'

Scrooge was lifted up into the strong arms of his Nephew!

'Fred!' shouted Scrooge in high-pitched girls' voice.

'Father or Papa if you will, Carol, what's wrong you little one, you look like you have seen a ghost.'

Scrooge, or was it Carol now, was carried over to the dressing table. In the long mirror, was the reflection of a girl of about 6 years of age. She had a sleeping bonnet upon her head, but her long flowing blond hair had escaped its embrace. Her long cotton nightdress was adorned with lace and ribbons. She had a very pretty face and a button nose. She was a lovely little girl and looked nothing like Ebenezer Scrooge except, perhaps around the eyes.

'Come on pumpkin, it will be breakfast soon and the others will be cross if we are not quick. You look a bit strange, are you all right?'

'Yes Fr.. I mean Papa. I just didn't sleep very well.'

'Don't rush then; we will save you something for breakfast. Can you get yourself dressed or do you want Sarah to help you?'

'Um,yes please, can Sarah help me, I’m a bit muddled.'

Fred laughed, kissed Carol on the forehead and went out, closing the door behind him.

Scrooge looked at himself or rather herself in the mirror, not fully realising what was happening. Was this another dream? Will he wake up soon and find himself as he was before? So many questions and no answers!

Carol, for it would be somewhat foolish to call this little girl Scrooge, looking as she did,
went over to the closet and standing on tip-toe rummaged through the clothes within.

She saw many pretty dresses in all shapes and colours. She was thrilled at the choice and took out one after another and held them up against herself to see which one to choose. In the end she chose a pretty pink satin dress with a large bow.

Just then Sarah, the maid came in.

'Hello Miss Carol, found something nice to wear, oh yes that is a pretty one, lets get you dressed, off with your nightgown now.'

The little girl that was once Ebenezer Scrooge was in a dream world whilst being dressed. Sarah was talking away nineteen to the dozen but Carol was somewhere else trying to work out what had happened to make her into this lovely vision she could see in the mirror.

She remembered all of the visitations of the ghosts of Christmas past, present and that which is yet to come. She had taken heed of the lessons learnt and had confessed that Ebenezer Scrooge's most precious wish as a child was to be a girl.

Somehow, through the magic of the Spirits, Scrooge had been changed into Carol. Then she gasped. She was Carol! But Carol was stillborn. She shook her head, not understanding anything. Then she realised that God had somehow helped her as Ebenezer and Carol to have a life. He must have the power to change the course of history and time itself. It was a wonderful power and a force for good in a world that has much suffering.

She then had an inkling of remembrance tickle the edges of her mind. She remembered snippets of her past as a little girl! The first time she spoke and the loving embrace of her parents after her first faltering steps. The memories were hazy but getting stronger.

Carol was brought back to the present as she realised that Sarah was speaking to her.

'There little Miss, what a picture you are. Have a look in the mirror and see for yourself.'

Carol went over to the long mirror and saw how beautiful she looked. Her dress looked amazing. The petticoats underneath gave it a fullness, which was delicious. The pink satin shimmered in the morning light and the bows in her long
blond hair matched exactly the big pink bow that was around her middle and tied in a big bow at the back.

'Oh, I'm lovely!' she said with glee.

'Yes, my precious you will turn some heads when you grow older.' Said Sarah with a smile. 'Come on now. You had better go downstairs before all the breakfast is eaten up.'

Carol ran out of the room and down the stairs. She relished her youth and the vitality that it brought. She loved the feel of her clothes, rustling as she ran to the breakfast room. She felt the old man that she once been, slip away from her like an old coat leaving her the lovely child she longed to be and now was.

Carol skidded to a stop outside the door, suddenly feeling scared and wondering what sort of reaction she would get from the rest of her family.

She could hear the sound of happy chatter from behind the door and tried to screw up some courage to go into the room and join her family.

After taking a deep breath, Carol quietly opened the door and saw that the family was busily eating away, chatting and laughing.

Fred's wife looked up from her plate and smiled as Carol took the only empty place at the dining table.

'Hello Darling, woken up yet?'

'Yes... erm Mother.'

'Mother!' Fred's wife said smiling, 'Well you do sound funny today. You never call me Mother. Are you too old to call me Mama any more?'

'Sorry... Mama I still feel a bit sleepy.'

'Well you are to go to bed early tonight, young lady.'

'Yes mama.'

Mama smiled and Carols’ heart melted. She was going to love being a girl in this happy family.

Just then they heard a knock on the front door.

A few seconds later, Sarah came in and whispered to Fred.

He went out and was gone for some time. A few minutes later Sarah came in again and asked if Madam had a moment.

Carol was deep in conversation with the other children about what they were going to do that day and paid little attention of the comings and going of adults. Carol was so happy that she got on with the other children. They were wondering whether to go to the sweet shop or go and look at the toys in Jocyn's toyshop window when their parents came in. They both looked so upset that the children stopped talking and wondered what had made them so unhappy.

They sat down and Fred said. 'We have sad news for you children. I am sorry to say that Great Uncle Ebenezer passed away in his sleep last night.'

Carol was shocked, so shocked that she fainted away.

When she woke up, she was in bed and it was dark outside. All was quiet and her Mother was sitting by her side, holding her hand.

'How are you feeling, darling? You have been asleep all day.'

'I.... I don't know. Am I dreaming?'

'No Carol you are not dreaming. It was a great shock for you to hear about Uncle Ebenezer. I am sorry that it upset you so much. But you know my dear, Uncle Ebenezer was very old and he did not suffer. Your Father went to his house and saw his face. Papa said that he had such a lovely smile on his face that he obviously went peacefully. Do you feel any better, darling?'

'Yes thank you Mama.'

'Well, the doctor said that you must rest. It was quite a shock for all of us, but somehow more for you. I did not know that he meant so much to you.'

‘Mama,’

‘Yes, my love?’

‘Did you ever have another child, one that died when she was born?’

‘That’s a funny thing for a little girl to say. Of course not! I have been blessed with four lovely children and a wonderful husband. When you grow up, if you are good, you will also have a husband and children, but you won’t if you do not have some proper sleep. Now here is your dolly, it’s time for you to shut your eyes and go to sleep.

Mama stood up and leant over Carol. 'If you need me, just call.'

She brushed away the hair from Carol's face and kissed her on the forehead.

With a beautiful smile she said, 'good night darling,'

Carol looked up at her and said 'I love you Mama.'

'I love you too, my sweet, now get some rest and we will go shopping for a new bonnet tomorrow.'

With that, Mama left the room and quietly closed the door.

Carol lay on her back looking up, clutching her dolly . The light from the fire played shadows on the ceiling. She knew now that she had left the body of Ebenezer behind and that she had been given another chance to live her dream. The body lying in the bed of Ebenezer Scrooge was just a husk. The spirit had been transformed into Carol. She had been given a chance to re-start her life and she intended to enjoy it to the full.

She got out of bed and went over to the window. The heavy velvet curtains were drawn aside and Carol looked out of the window.

The gentle noiseless fall of white was putting a blanket of clean snow over everything. Those gentle flakes covered all trees, houses and gardens. It was so beautiful that Carol wanted to cry with happiness. Not a soul was in sight and the silence was peaceful. It stopped snowing then and Carol looked up with tears clouding her eyes. The moon came out, adding to the beauty of the scene as it reflected off millions of snowflakes.

Ebenezer Scrooge had come a long way to be here and as Carol, she would live life to the full, be happy and contented. For in this time of Christmas cheer Dear Reader, what more can anyone wish for?

THE END

If you liked this story, please add some comments by using the link below

Read Reviews Add Review
The above work is the copyrighted material of the respective author. If you
would like to archive it elsewhere, please contact the author and ask permission
first, unless noted otherwise in their story.
For further details on Fictionmania's policy, please read this disclaimer.

FictionMania is sponsored by Glamour Boutique

Notes:

Readers, Please Remember to Leave a Comment

up
133 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nice Story

This was a very nice twist on an old story that had been redone too often. I generally don't like magic stories but, given the premise, it was unavoidable.

Thank you

Wow. Just...Wow.

I don't know why I am reading Christmas stories now, but...
"A Christmas Carol" is one of my favorite stories. You have written a wonderful version of it, one that will never be forgotten, as long as I live. This was masterful, so magnificent that I am surprised that I had not heard of it before. I have books, audiobooks, DVD's...all about "Christmas Carol" and it's many incarnations. I think this has my favorite ending. I plan to print this up and frame it. Wonderful!

Wren

Sue, Your darling little

Sue,
Your darling little story runs so true to the original, that the TG theme makes it just a little better. "A Christmas Carol" has always been a top favorite of mine, especially the Alister Sims film version. This would make a very interesting story as a film. Jan

To paraphrase Dickens,

Andrea Lena's picture

...“It was always said of Susan Brown, that she knew how to keep Christmas well, if anyone alive possessed the knowledge. May that be truly said of us, and all of us! Thank you!


She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Possa Dio riccamente vi benedica, tutto il mio amore, Andrea

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Not Christmas, but still good

RobertaME's picture

Here I am, in mid-late February, reading Sue's adaptation of A Christmas Carol. Why? Well, for lack of anything better to read at the moment. While I don't know about the ending, (having Scrooge die and have his soul placed into the body of the stillborn Carol? OK... but then having Scrooge's old life start to fade from memory... it is effectively killing Scrooge in the worst way... wiping her entire sense of self from existence and not even getting the reward of heaven for her redemption) I felt that explaining Scrooge's attitude toward humanity, the cold and heartless way Scrooge treated people, was a brilliant idea. Scrooge treated humanity the way humanity treated her, coldly and cruelly.

No villain is a villain from their own point of view... they all have reasons for why they are the way they are. In Scrooge's case, the woman in this story, she has ample reason to loath her fellow man; she was born a woman trapped in the body of a man in a time when such people were not only unable to do anything about it but were looked on by society as ungodly by their very nature. Given similar circumstances, I don't think I'd be any more charitable than Scrooge, giving back to society exactly what they'd given me... indifference and scorn.

Great job on this story, Sue! Unlike others, I won't pander to the idea that Dickins would approve as I'm certain, considering his upbringing and what we know of the era, he most certainly would be appalled at the idea of his stories being used to tell TG perspectives... but then we have to make allowances for the environment he was raised in and not get too judgmental! Anyway, great fun reading it!

A wonderful twist on a well known story.

Extravagance's picture

The added TG element fits in absolutely seamlessly. The partial rewriting of Ebeneezer's/Carol's personal history was a joy to behold. ^_^

Truly a must-read for ANYONE.

Catfolk Pride.PNG

Nice Twist . . ..

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

Nice twist on an often redone story.

Time this had another airing :)

So there I was, looking through the list of your stories in the right hand bar, and couldn't resist trying out this update of a seasonal classic :) OK, the fact it was at the top of the list helped...

Very well written (as usual!), a nice blending of Charles' original and your 'extras'.

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Touching

Though it has been more than 7 years since this story was posted it still is nice and heart-warming with a twist.
Jo

In Defense of

In Defense of Scrooge
"

Ebeneezer ScroogeIt's Christmas again, time to celebrate the transformation of Ebenezer Scrooge. You know the ritual: boo the curmudgeon initially encountered in Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol, then cheer the sweetie pie he becomes in the end. It's too bad no one notices that the curmudgeon had a point—quite a few points, in fact.

To appreciate them, it is necessary first to distinguish Scrooge's outlook on life from his disagreeable persona. He is said to have a pointed nose and a harsh voice, but not all hardheaded businessmen are so lamentably endowed, nor are their feckless nephews (remember Fred?) alwavs "ruddy and handsome," and possessed of pretty wives. These touches of the storyteller's art only bias the issue.

So let's look without preconceptions at Scrooge's allegedly underpaid clerk, Bob Cratchit. The fact is, if Cratchit's skills were worth more to anyone than the fifteen shillings Scrooge pays him weekly, there would be someone glad to offer it to him. Since no one has, and since Cratchit's profit-maximizing boss is hardly a man to pay for nothing, Cratchit must be worth exactly his present wages.

No doubt Cratchit needs—i.e., wants—more, to support his family and care for Tiny Tim. But Scrooge did not force Cratchit to father children he is having difficulty supporting. If Cratchit had children while suspecting he would be unable to afford them, he, not Scrooge, is responsible for their plight. And if Cratchit didn't know how expensive they would be, why must Scrooge assume the burden of Cratchit's misjudgment?

As for that one lump of coal Scrooge allows him, it bears emphasis that Cratchit has not been chained to his chilly desk. If he stays there, he shows by his behavior that he prefers his present wages-plus-comfort package to any other he has found, or supposes himself likely to find. Actions speak louder than grumbling, and the reader can hardly complain about what Cratchit evidently finds satisfactory.

More notorious even than his miserly ways are Scrooge's cynical words. "Are there no prisons," he jibes when solicited for charity, "and the Union workhouses?"

Terrible, right? Lacking in compassion?

Not necessarily. As Scrooge observes, he supports those institutions with his taxes. Already forced to help those who can't or won't help themselves, it is not unreasonable for him to balk at volunteering additional funds for their extra comfort.

Scrooge is skeptical that many would prefer death to the workhouse, and he is unmoved by talk of the workhouse's cheerlessness. He is right to be unmoved, for society's provisions for the poor must be, well, Dickensian. The more pleasant the alternatives to gainful employment, the greater will be the number of people who seek these alternatives, and the fewer there will be who engage in productive labor. If society expects anyone to work, work had better be a lot more attractive than idleness.

The normally taciturn Scrooge lets himself go a bit when Cratchit hints that he would like a paid Christmas holiday. "It's not fair," Scrooge objects, a charge not met by Cratchet's patently irrelevant protest that Christmas comes but once a year. Unfair it is, for Cratchit would doubtless object to a request for a day's uncompensated labor, "and yet," as Scrooge shrewdly points out, "you don't think me ill used when I pay a day's wages for no work."

Cratchit has apparently forgotten the golden rule. (Or is it that Scrooge has so much more than Cratchit that the golden rule does not come into play? But Scrooge doesn't think he has that much, and shouldn't he have a say in the matter?)

Scrooge's first employer, good old Fezziwig, was a lot freer with a guinea—he throws his employees a Christmas party. What the Ghost of Christmas Past does not explain is how Fezziwig afforded it. Did he attempt to pass the added costs to his customers? Or did young Scrooge pay for it anyway by working for marginally lower wages?

The biggest of the Big Lies about Scrooge is the pointlessness of his pursuit of money. "Wealth is of no use to him. He doesn't do any good with it," opines ruddy nephew Fred.

Wrong on both counts. Scrooge apparently lends money, and to discover the good he does one need only inquire of the borrowers. Here is a homeowner with a new roof, and there a merchant able to finance a shipment of tea, bringing profit to himself and happiness to tea drinkers, all thanks to Scrooge.

Dickens doesn't mention Scrooge's satisfied customers, but there must have been plenty of them for Scrooge to have gotten so rich.

Scrooge is said to hound debtors so relentlessly that—as the Ghost of Christmas Yet To Be is able to show him—an indebted couple rejoices at his demise. The mere delay while their debt is transferred will avert the ruin Scrooge would have imposed.

This canard is triply absurd. First, a businessman as keen as Scrooge would prefer to delay payment to protect his investment rather than take possession of possibly useless collateral. (No bank wants developers to fail and leave it the proud possessor of a half-built shopping mall.) Second, the fretful couple knew and agreed to the terms on which Scrooge insisted. By reneging on the deal, they are effectively engaged in theft. Third, most important, and completely overlooked by Ghost and by Dickens, there are hopefuls whose own plans turn on borrowing the money returned to Scrooge from his old accounts. Scrooge can't relend what Caroline and her unnamed husband don't pay up, and he won't make a penny unless he puts the money to use after he gets it back.

The hard case, of course, is a payment due from Bob Cratchit, who needs the money for an emergency operation on Tiny Tim. (Here I depart from the text, but Dickens characters are so familiar to us they can be pressed into unfamiliar roles.) If you think it is heartless of Scrooge to demand payment, think of Sickly Sid, who needs an operation even more urgently than Tim does, and whose father is waiting to finance that operation by borrowing the money Cratchit is expected to pay up.

Is Tim's life more valuable than Sid's just because we've met him? And how do we explain to Sid's father that his son won't be able to have the operation after all, because Scrooge, as Christmas generosity, is allowing Cratchit to reschedule his debt? Scrooge does not circulate money from altruism, to be sure, but his motives, whatever they are, are congruent with the public good.

But what about those motives? Scrooge doesn't seem to get much satisfaction from the services he may inadvertently perform, and that seems to be part of Dickens's point. But who, apart from Dickens, says that Scrooge is not enjoying himself? He spends all his time at his business, likes to count his money, and has no outside interests.

At the same time, Scrooge is not given to brooding and shows absolutely no sign of depression or conflict. Whether he wished to or not, Dickens has made Scrooge by far the most intelligent character in his fable, and Dickens credits his creation with having nothing "fancy" about him. So we conclude that, in his undemonstrative way, Scrooge is productive and satisfied with his lot, which is to say happy.

There can be no arguing with Dickens's wish to show the spiritual advantages of love. But there was no need to make the object of his lesson an entrepreneur whose ideas and practices benefit his employees, society at large, and himself. Must such a man expect no fairer a fate than to die scorned and alone? Bah, I say. Humbug."
http://mises.org/daily/573

A Christmas "Carol"

Thank you for sharing this with us.

Dickens would have approved.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

A wonderful homage

A true Christmas classic -- and that's a big compliment coming from a Jewish girl! *grins*

Thank you for a great read! Please keep writing.

*hugs*

Randalynn

Wipes eyes...

I was never a fan of the original, though Kermit as Scratchit was good. :) But this brings a whole new meaning to the story, thank you for sharing it.

JC

The Legendary Lost Ninja

I quite enjoyed that!

Nice twist on a wonderful tale, it was quite a pleasure to read.

A Christmas Carol

Thanks for your kind comments.

I think that Dickens is my favorite author for that period and A Christmas Carol is my favorite story of his.

I'm a bit of a softy myself and I love a happy ending, don't you?

Hugs
Susan

Christmas Carol

We need more stories like this instead of doom and gloom. Keep writing please. Much better than forced feminization, don't you think.

Thank You

This is a lovely story, and it was just what I needed. Dickens' classic tale always brings a tear to my eye and joy to my soul. You have managed to convey the spirit of the original in a new form. Somehow I don't think Mr. Dickens would mind.

God Bless Us, Every One.

A Fanatastic story, it really touched me

I've been away from Big Closet for a while now and just came back to this wonderful story.

It captured the spirit and tone of Dickens, all while moving it to the TG genre. Well done and well written!

At times like these, I know why no such spirits have to visit us in our homes, for we can learn and be reminded of such lessons through the eyes of others in stories such as this.

I myself feel touched and reminded of Ebenezer's lessons and will hold the spirit of Christmas ever closer to my heart and endeavor ever harder to be the person I am, not the persona I feel i must portray to the world.