The Mockreet - Chapter 44

Printer-friendly version

I awoke in a sweat beneath cold light streaming through a framed picture window set into the wall beside me. It was flanked by heavy gold curtains on either side, but they had apparently not been pulled during the night. I struggled to remember where I was; it was a bed for certain, and likely a bedroom, but how had I gotten here? As I struggled into an upright position I surveyed my surroundings; it was indeed a four poster bed, the sheets made of soft green satin and presently drenched with my sweat. I groaned and pushed myself into an upright position; brown hair fell about my shoulders, matted and tangled, partially adhered to the side of my head. Squinting in the sunlight, I turned and crawled to the edge of the bed - a feat that seemed to take hours as I crawled over heaps and mounds of silk and cotton, finally dropping my feet onto a thinly carpeted floor. As the world came into tangibility around me, so too did my panic as I realized I had no idea where I was. What was the last thing that had happened? I struggled to think. Quinn Mallory, Melina, Old Jaf, all of these things were a jumble and they became even more convoluted as I tried to put them all together. What had happened after the roof? How had I gotten to this room?

“Okay,” I said, trying to calm myself. “Calm down, what do you know? It’s a bedroom, right?”

It was a bedroom but it was bigger than any I’d ever been in. No, wait, that was wrong. When I…no when he was Micah, he’d had a room bigger than this but it had been different, somehow. My eyes traveled the large space, from the picture window overlooking a lush green courtyard, to the large vanity in the corner. A door set into the wall, another one facing the head of the bed. Grunting and suppressing a yawn, I dropped from the edge of the bed and winced as my right ankle painfully took the brunt of the impact. The stupid thing still hadn’t healed. Ignoring the sharp yet brief pain, I began to walk toward what I assumed as the bedroom door. They were tall and made from a light green, set into an ornate frame that rose at least three feet from the top of my head. My open palms slammed against the surface, barely even budging the double doors in their frame. I reached to the handle and jiggled it, determined to push my way out, but as with the door itself, the handle barely moved. The panic continued to rise, starting as an unpleasant churning of my stomach and morphing into a rising pressure that threated to burst my chest from the inside as bashed my open palm against solid wood while using the other hand to violently shake the handle.

“Hello?” I called out, my voice immediately becoming frantic. My breathing increased, my heart began to pound. I pounded again, harder this time. “Is anyone there? Hello?”

Receiving no answer, I stepped back from the door and began to look about frantically. I ran to the second door opposite the bed and flung it open. Inside, a huge open space filled with dresses and shoes. I turned and ran to the picture window but found no way to open it. Then, I saw the chair placed just in front of the vanity. Of course. Grabbing it, I stood in front of the window and hoisted it over my head. Whoever had taken me, they weren’t going to keep me. I closed my eyes and tightened my grip, sinking my fingers into the legs of the chair and tensed my muscles. It was pretty high up but if I could break the glass, I could definitely survive the jump. Probably.

“Lyra!” A voice from behind caused me to spin, the chair falling from my hands and thudding against the floor. The woman in the doorway was the spitting image of Sheena, if Sheena were perhaps ten years older. She had black hair, thick and straight, hanging well past her shoulders. Her dress was a deep bronze with a black overdress, both hanging nearly to the floor. The sleeves were long and puffed at the arm, culminating at her wrists in a lace cuff that encircled her palms. Everything about this woman screamed royalty and I found myself frozen, nearly trembling in her presence.

“Wh…who are you?” I asked, feeling suddenly small as I took an unsteady step backward, my back pressing against the glass as she raised an eyebrow and took a step toward me.

“Lyra,” She said in a soft, but stern tone. “You will recall the day you visited the Rossi household. My name is Desa Rossi, Daughter to Martin and Colleen, sister to Sheena, do you remember?”

I shook my head violently as I tried to recall, gripping the fabric of my cotton night gown and biting my lower lip.

“Do you not remember being brought here? Well, you were exhausted, so that makes sense, I suppose. Nonetheless you are here now, so let’s get you away from the window in your night clothes, shall we?”

I gulped and realize that she, whoever she was, was right. I was standing there in my gown for all the world to see. My face reddened as I allowed the woman, Desa to guide me back toward the center of the room.

“Goodness,” she said, shaking her head as she pulled her hand away from the small of my back. “You worked up a sweat last night, didn’t you?”

“I’m sorry,” I whispered. “I didn’t mean-”

“You aren’t held to apologize for bodily functions,” She lectured me. “just held to clean up after them, which we will do shortly.”

“I- I want to see Sheena,” I said meekly, trying to assert some sort of dominance in a situation where I was clearly at the disadvantage; I failed, immediately blushing and shrinking back as I expected Desa to become angry. Instead she regarded me with a soft expression and gave me a smile.

“I assure you, Lyra, that is the last thing you want right now. Sheena is rather cross with you and I can’t say as I blame her,” She suppressed a chuckle and then shook her head. “She traipsed across half of Auglire to retrieve you and did some damage as well.”

“Is…is she okay?” I whispered my question, not sure I wanted an answer. It was all coming back to me, the rooftop, the airship, the mystery man in black. What was his name? I wondered if it could have been Quinn; he hadn’t taken his mask off for the ride, he’d just dropped us at what he called the ‘Tertiary Spire’ and left us to our own devices.

“Worse for wear, I do fear,” Desa told me, but then squeezed my shoulder reassuringly. “But well enough for the High Lady to have given her a piece. She’s been removed from her position at the palace.”

“What? No!” I said suddenly, shaking my head. “Because of me?!”

“Because of you,” Desa chuckled. “Don’t fret so. She isn’t without resources and Lyra, my dear, you may be adopted under strange circumstances, but given the last twenty-four hours, I’d say you’ve some Rossi blood in you after all.”

“Thank…you?” I said nervously. She chuckled aloud this time and motioned toward the door. I followed her guidance, my feet padding softly as we walked toward the open doorway toward a wide hall. We were about the same size, probably, but I felt incredibly small beside her, and if it was possible, she was far more intimidating than Sheena had been, even if her tone wasn’t nearly as harsh.

“My dear Lyra,” She told me as we walked. “mother has relocated us to the Maussen house, one of the Rossi’s estates. Mostly it was to spite father for his rejection of you, but he’s come around.”

“He has?” I asked, suddenly hopeful. Desa stopped outside a doorway toward the mid-point of the hallway.

“He’ll speak with you later; he’s come back for the day.”

“I…okay,” I said, trying to sound assertive but failing.

“Is she ready then?” A familiar voice caused me to spin about; Jen stood there, watching me expectantly. I gawked, barely noticing that she wasn’t wearing her service uniform. It was a work dress, undoubtedly, but it was a shade of light green with a white sash tied about the waist and a skirt that ended just below the knees.

“Lyra, I am to understand that you are familiar with Jenise?” Desa asked me. I nodded quietly in response to her question. “Good. The Rossi household does not typically employ servants, but we made an exception in this case. Sheena insisted that there be someone familiar to guide you in our absence, and we agreed. You have it from here, Jenise?”

“Yes Lady,” Jen said, smiling to me.

“Dispense with that,” Desa waved her hand dismissively. “My name is Desa. Learn it well.”

“Yes…Desa…” Jen said with uncertainty.

“Allow me to educate you,” Desa said. “There are many ways to answer in the affirmative without lowering yourself to another person. You can say ‘yes’ or ‘aye’ or ‘it will be done’. Any of these are acceptable.”

“Right, okay,” Jenise sounded far more nervous than I had been. Then, Desa looked to me with a stern expression.

You will refer to me as Elder Sister,” She told me. “Sheena has surely educated you in the protocol?”

“Yes…Elder Sister,” I said as I tried to slip back into what was a familiar routine.

“Good,” Desa nodded and smiled, then left Jen and I standing alone in the corridor.

“I hate that she uses my full name,” Jen rolled her eyes. “Sheena does that too. Come, Little Lyra, let’s get you cleaned up.”

I followed her through the door, my hands clasped together in front of me, and becoming incredibly aware of my horrible disheveled state as we passed in front of a three-paneled mirror inside a huge washroom. The walls and floor were covered with black tile and white grout with evenly space spotlights set into the ceiling to give the room a slightly brighter ambiance. Near the top of the wall, several brass pipes ran along the length, each one ultimately attached to a fixture; a brass basin for washing, a latrine for…well, you know. At the corner of the room there was a bathing tub, cast from iron and large as any I had ever seen. Truthfully, it was probably large enough to fit five people comfortably. The tub was filled nearly to the brim with water and steam played at the surface, indicating that was more than a bit warm.

“Be off with that gown,” Jen gestured to me almost dismissively as she tested the temperature of the tub. “And don’t be bashful about it, I’ve seen what you’ve got under there.”

I didn’t waste time arguing, I simply pulled the garment off and balled it up, holding in front of me as I wondered what twist of fate had brought me to…wherever this was, and how Jen had ended up here with me. Jen finished testing the water and then turned to me, her eyes suddenly wide.

“Goodness!” She said. “I believe I just lied; I saw what you looked like before, never paid attention after your…procedure.”

I turned red and hugged the gown to me, tempted to throw it back on.

“Don’t fret,” She laughed. “You look good, no foolin’ about there. How does it feel?”

I shrugged and tightened my grip on the garment, which she, in response, snatched out of my hand and tossed to the ground. I cringed as I stood there naked; she motioned toward the tub and I moved over, lowering myself into the warm water.

“It was strange at first,” I admitted almost apprehensively; talking about my body was never one of my favorite things. “It took a few days to….find my balance.”

“Certainly so,” Jen agreed. “That chest is certainly a sight to behold.”

“Uh…thanks?” I blushed, my body temperature rising a few degrees as Jen giggled and gestured to the side of the tub.

“Now, Little Lyra, start by taking that bottle, the yellow one, and putting a drop in the water. At the palace, the nobility and aristocrats, they had people to bathe them, but the Rossie family does things…differently. Can’t say I like it myself.”

“You don’t?” I frowned. “Does it not mean less work?”

“Lyra,” She lectured. “I joined service to do work. Can you imagine being ladies maid to one who would just as soon be a ladies maid herself?”

“I guess I don’t…understand,” I shrugged. I took the yellow bottle and did as she instructed. As I did, the water took on a sweet aroma that filled my nostrils and immediately put me at ease.

“Aye,” She said. “Which reminds me. I was apprised of your situation.”

“My situation?” I asked nervously, wondering exactly what she was referring to.

“Until a few days past,” She said. “I was disposed to think of you as a reformed Micah Lavoric. Seems I’ve been right mistaken about that. I’m surprised as anyone would be but it’s a relief to my mind. You’re a different person entirely and I dare say I’m glad to be properly introduced.”

“I…” I sat there at a loss for words as she leaned against the side of the tub; steam rose to envelop her.

“Take that bottle there, and that wash cloth. Scrub yourself.”

“And you truly believe it?” I asked as I followed her instructions. “Why do people so readily believe that…that I’m not him. It just seems so…”

“Goodness, little Lyra,” Jen stepped back and stretched, cracking her back as she tilted her body from left to right. “A magical wall of rain, cloud, and fire tore across Faidrye, and you are the thing that seems far fetched? Not the Mah’Kur, not the…what did they call that thing? The Mockreet? A magical city called Hybra? Come now, little Lyra, the Rossis debriefed me, and they have no reason to fabricate such a thing. Finish scrubbing, we’ll see to your hair next!”

The bath concluded with her guiding me through a hair care routine that was far more complicated than anything I’d had to do at the palace even on the worst of days and the routine in itself made me exhausted. Jen took me back to the bedroom, practically dragging me naked through the hall and pulled a dress from the wardrobe. It was simple; a light blue, much like the dress Melina had given me, but instead of rough fabric, it was a light satin that cinched the waist tightly. The neckline was a deep scoop and the fabric hung tightly to my chest, overtop a light corset that she’d laced into place moments before.

“It’s a simple gown,” Jen said as she stepped back and appraised me. “But they said to go simple for today, after your ordeal.”

How she defined ‘simple’ was open to interpretation as she sat me at the vanity and applied cosmetics to my face. The process took at least half an hour with her patting my face periodically to make sure that I hadn’t dozed off. Finally, she stood behind me with a brush and ran it through my hair, applying oils as she went, humming and watching my face in the mirror. She stopped humming mid stroke and rested a hand on my shoulder.

“You know the words, yes?”

“The words?” I asked, confused. She began humming again and stopped.

“Come now Lyra, let’s see how good that memory of yours is.”

“It’s not that great,” I laughed. “I remember everything from…when I walked into the Lady’s office and asked to be Lyra. Everything before that…well, it’s dark. I remember things but…it’s like reading from a book. I remember the words, not the images.”

She began humming again as she stroked my hair gently and then switched to a soft-bristled brush. I closed my eyes and concentrated on the sound of her voice. Finally, I sang, softly:

“Howling dogs, endless fog and madness on the keel
Cast adrift, into the rift and no hand on the wheel
Hallowes Eve when souls conceive and whisper on the wind
Onwards to the darkness where the ancient curse begins”

“Very good, little Lyra,” She smiled. “Some things are natural, after all.”

“I guess it’s a popular song,” I shrugged.

“Which is why you ought know it. Come, we’re done here.”

As I stood, she allowed me to take a look in the mirror and I barely recognized the girl looking back at me. She’d done my face before, back at the palace in the servant’s quarters but it had never been this elaborate. My long brown hair hung neatly about my shoulders, framing a perfectly painted face. Paired with the dress, simple as it was, I looked positively regal. My heart began to pound as my face broke into a stupid grin and I clasped my hands together, letting out a girlish giggle. Finally, she guided me away from the mirror and into the hallway where I walked with slightly more confidence than before.

“I know they like to do their own chores,” Jen said “But I’ll be taking care of your bed later. It positively stinks.”

“Sorry,” I offered, thoroughly embarrassed.

“You ought be,” She snorted. “Learn to sleep without soaking yourself in sweat.”

We walked silently down the hall, shortly emerging onto a wide landing that led down a set of stairs that led to the front foyer. I quickly noticed that the marble floor had accumulated some dust, and much of the space was darkened; the chandelier that hung in the center of the room was only partially lit.

“Why is it so dark?” I asked.

“They can’t be bothered,” Jen shrugged. “They’ve the money to keep the space cleaned and lit, but they’re so busy outside of the house and they have no servants, save for me, now. I’ll see this place right if it’s the last I do.”

We turned right at the bottom of the steps and crossed through another door, and a turn later, we emerged into a large drawing room complete with several couches and chairs arranged in a circle so as to face one another. To the right, a grand piano, lid sitting closed, and a stone hearth set into the wall behind it. Most importantly, all of the Rossis were there, including Sheena. I nearly gasped when I saw her; the left side of her face was bruised black and blue and she was dressed similarly to me; a very basic silk chemise and over dress, though I imagined it had been done out of concern for her pain.

“Look who finally decided to join us,” Colleen shot me an amused glance as Sheena looked at me with an expression of near disgust. I cringed a little, but she remained silent as I sat on the couch beside her. I folded my hands and sat rigid as Jen excused herself to the kitchen. Colleen glanced after her. “Don’t even think of cooking lunch, we handle that ourselves!”

“Wouldn’t dream of it,” Jen rolled her eyes and disappeared.

“Lyra, thank you for joining us,” Martin said. He sat at the head of the formation alongside Colleen. Desa and Elizabeth sat in their own seats across from us. “Family meetings are important, though this isn’t nearly as urgent as yesterday’s.”

“Yes, Lyra,” Elizabeth smirked. “Where were for that one, then?”

“Uh,” I tried to speak but my voice caught in my throat. Desa laughed; Sheena glared at me.

“Lighten up, Sheena,” Desa grinned. “Wasn’t entirely her fault.”

“I dare say not,” Martin agreed. “Which brings us to our first point. Lyra, regardless of lineage, you bear the Rossi name and we have been neglectful-”

“To say the least,” Colleen agreed, garnering a look of disdain from Martin.

“In any case. Lyra, you will remain in the company of a family member when you are outside of the house. This is not…a punishment, it is a precaution.”

“That brings us to my point,” Colleen interrupted again. “Sheena. You are a woman grown, free to do as you wish, obviously, you can do whatever you wish, but I would appreciate it, and the Rossi household would appreciate it if you didn’t destroy entire districts. The High Lady is furious.”

“As she so graciously imparted upon me earlier,” Sheena said stiffly.

“With no obligation to service,” Colleen said. “You will resume your studies and take up a career, it’s time you chose one.”

“I thought I was ‘a woman grown’,” Sheena looked to Colleen with an expression of pure disdain, prompting Colleen to regard her with a serious expression.

“A woman grown, and a Rossi,” Colleen said. “Lyra, you will begin your studies. You’ll be taking a series of tests to determine where you should start. Furthermore, you will speak to a counselor regarding your situation and to work out any residual feelings you may have-”

“You mean a shrink?” I suddenly interrupted. The Rossis looked to me, then at eachother. Desa furrowed her eyebrows while Sheena shook her head and raised a hand to her face.

“She does that,” Sheena explained. “I have yet to learn what ‘flipped my shit’ means in any context.”

“Sheena!” Colleen said sharply “We do not use such language! It has no place in polite society!”

“Which explains why I’m the only person in Auglire whose never heard the word,” Sheena rolled her eyes.

“Have you never read a book?” Elizabeth asked her; if she was joking it didn’t show. Sheena balled her fist and I began to scoot away, toward the edge of the couch. Before I could get very far, Sheena gripped my arm and pulled me back.

“Finally,” Martin said, the sigh evident in his voice. “The situation in Oniodale requires my attention and I won’t be able to attend the ballare. I do understand Lord Radon will be present, for what it’s worth.”

“Having Lyra provides a bit of an advantage,” Desa offered.

“What are little sisters good for otherwise?” Sheena muttered. I blushed.

The Rossis continued to discuss internal and external politics which made little to no sense to me which caused me to feel like a third wheel. Finally, Martin concluded the meeting and the room emptied, save for myself, Sheena, and Desa.

“How are you feeling, Sheena?” Desa asked. Sheena sucked in a breath and bit her bottom lip before responding.

“Face hurts,” She said, casting a wayward glance at me. “Lyra, what is wrong with you?”

“Oh come now,” Desa said sharply. “You mean to blame the girl for your shortcomings? Where were you when she was traipsing about Auglire?”

“I was distracted!” Sheena said through gritted teeth. I paled and began to shrink away again, hoping to bolt from the couch and perhaps make it back upstairs where I could hide under the bed. Sheena instantly snatched me by the arm and dragged me back into place, despite a yelp of protest escaping my throat. “Lyra you could have been killed! You could have been sold to some work house, you could have been shipped outside the city and we never would have found you! Do you understand how much danger you were in?”

“While Sheena speaks in anger, her words do have merit,” Desa affirmed. “The danger was real and it is not something we can afford. Sheena, in any case, we’ll teach the girl to defend herself, yes?”

“It’s a given,” Sheena nodded, seeming slightly less angry. “All Rossis can fight. Father mandates it.”

“Today’s schedule, however, does not permit it,” Desa mused. “Lyra, I know that you are tired, but you’ll need to take a few of your tests today so that your education can begin. After that, we’ll have you rest for the remainder of the day.”

“I would speak to her first,” Martin said. I turned to look and saw him leaning at the entrance to the drawing room. “Come, Lyra.”

“Father-” Desa protested, but he waved a hand to cut her off.

“You can have her back in a few moments,” He said. “Lyra, with me.”

Sheena shrugged and gestured toward Martin. I paled and climbed nervously to my feet. I began to walk, but she stopped me and smoothed the folds of my skirt, sighing as she did so. After she finished, I followed Martin down a brief hallway and into a study lined with books on each wall and a huge desk at the center beneath a window that overlooked the courtyard that had been visible from my room. He motioned for me to take a seat while he stepped to a small table and lifted a crystal decanter filled with a brown liquid. Filling a square tumbler, he held it to his nose and nodded approval as he finally looked to me and then stepped around the desk and took a seat in the high-backed leather chair.

“You’re too young, I’m afraid,” He gestured to the tumbler. “Lyra, I’m going to be blunt, I don’t consider you family, let alone a daughter. I believe that you’re not Micah Lavoric, that has become more than clear, but regardless of who you are, you’re not a Rossi.”

“That much is fucking clear,” I muttered under my breath, then turned beet red as I realized I’d spoken those words aloud. Martin raised an eyebrow.

“Well then say what you mean, Lyra,” He sat back, folding his hands and looking to me with curiosity.

“I…” I stammered and considered remaining silent, but a single look at him told me that he wasn’t about to let it go. “Mr. Rossi, I’m not anyone. I’m not a Lavoric, I’m not…a Rossi. Sheena hates me, you won’t have me, the High Lady dismissed me from her service. If you expect your words to hurt then I’m sorry, but I’ve been unwanted since I arrived. What are you trying to do? Make me cry? I’m all cried out over this. If you don’t want me, get rid of me like you did last time.”

“I don’t want you, because the Rossi name is not a novelty to be given away,” Martin said. “We don’t adopt outsiders, we never have. Sheena didn’t have the authority to do it, but she did it anyway. Giving you our name didn’t make it legally binding, but just bearing that name has weight in Auglire and Faedrye. So, I can’t have you walking around with it, free to do as you please.”

“So I’ll change it,” I shrugged. “Are we done here?”

“People know the name ‘Lyra Rossi’,” He stared hard at me. “If you do that, then I’ve disowned a daughter and the Rossi family cannot afford a scandal. So.”

I shifted in the chair as he reached into the desk drawer and removed a sheet of folded parchment, which he subsequently opened and held up for me. It looked like a certificate of some sort, written in fancy calligraphy which a green seal stamped in wax near the bottom, two signatures on a line just below it.

“Colleen and I have declared it, formally. Lyra Rossi is a legitimate daughter of the Rossi household. Make no mistake, Lyra, we have standards and you will be held to them. I do not think you a daughter, but by law you are considered one. So, that’s that.”

I held the certificate numbly in my hands, staring at the elegant Klocby script, the seal, Martin and Colleen’s signatures etched at the bottom. It suddenly dawned on me just how alone I’d felt until this moment; the words I’d spoken to Martin were true - no one had wanted me, or so it seemed. Sheena had stuck with me, and she had literally fought for me, but in the end I had been adrift, lost, meaningless. Now, suddenly, I was home.

“Father,” Sheena said from the door. “Might I borrow Lyra?”

“I think we’re done here,” Martin nodded, taking the parchment from my hands and placing it in the drawer. Sheena drew me up from the chair and walked me through the hallway and through a back door. We stood in the courtyard, and I took in the scenery which, up close, was a bit disappointing. From my window above I hadn’t noticed its dilapidated state. The fountain at the center was overgrown with moss, the grass was unkempt, and several of the ceramic sculptures had been knocked over or overgrown with vines.

“I learned well the use of servants,” Sheena followed my gaze to the courtyard. “Father despises the practice but at least in Klocby they serve enthusiastically and receive payment.”

“I didn’t mind it,” I said, unable to think of anything else to say. She placed a gentle hand to my cheek and turned my head toward her. I looked into her eyes, cringing a bit at the state of her face. She smirked a little.

“Nasty, is it not?” She asked. I clenched my jaw, not wanting to respond in the affirmative. “Banged my head on a fire escape. You’re a lot of trouble, Lyra Rossi, you know that?”

“Sorry,” I said sheepishly.

“Between family members,” She said. “Love does not have to be a factor. We exist together for a common goal. It is commonplace for sister to hate sister, husband to hate wife. We are allowed to exist within the same household and dislike eachother. You understand, yes?”

I nodded, suddenly feeling empty again as I realized that maybe, just maybe I had crossed the line. I had caused trouble for Sheena and for the Rossis, and there was likely no way back. I finally belonged somewhere but at the same time, I didn’t belong. The sinking feeling began to overtake me, and I felt my knees beginning to grow weak.

“But, Lyra, understand this. If I disliked you so, and if I did not love you, I would have left you to your fate. You would have disappeared quietly and we would have worried no more. But, that is not what happened is it?”

I shook my head and watched as her hard expression turned into a soft smile.

“I went to the ends of Auglire for you, to get you back, because you are not only my sister, you are someone that I love. Do you understand?”

“I’m trying,” I whispered finally, my voice nearly caught in my throat as I truly tried to understand what she was saying.

“I can be angry with you, furious even, but no matter what, I will always come to your aid when you need it, even if you’ve been abducted by criminals through your own foolish actions. Come, Lyra.”

Before I could object, she gathered me in a hug, her arms wrapped around my waist, drawing my body to hers. I instinctively rested my head on her shoulder and closed my eyes, relishing the warmth of her embrace and the feeling of connection.

“You are my family, Lyra,” Sheena said softly.

“And mine as well,” Desa said, stepping outside to join us. Sheena pulled away slowly, reaching a hand to straighten her hair. Desa took my hands in hers and smiled. “And let me just say, it’s wonderful to truly meet you, after all this time.”

“Agreed,” Elizabeth added, stepping from the house. “We have been neglectful, and that neglect nearly led to unimaginable tragedy. We have some time now, let us get to know our youngest sister.”

“That,” Sheena said. “Is long overdue.”

up
77 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Acceptance

Even though grudgingly given, is a large win. And next?

Finally

Dee Sylvan's picture

Lyra finally gets a break. I don't know why Martin would be so foolish as to tell Lyra his true feelings and not try to repair the rift that he created with Lyra. Up until now she thought Sheena would abandon her, but now all of the sisters have rallied around her.

DeeDee

Lyra is officially a Rossi family member

Julia Miller's picture

Even if Dad doesn’t like it. It seems Sheena went through a lot last night and she is a bit upset, but my question is what happened to Melina? She doesn’t seem to be with the Rossi’s. Maybe she left with Quinn in the airship.

Lyra and Sheena

BarbieLee's picture

Wondering what Sheena and the women of Rossi see in Lyra, Martin doesn't? For Lyra to pull herself back together after jumping off the building, she is more than just another girl. Hope more comes out in future chapters so the Rossi females faith in her is justified.
Hugs Aidra
Barb
When we know everything we realize we know nothing.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl