Zapped! -14- Good Times, Bad Times

Printer-friendly version

jenzapdsm.jpg

Zapped! Chapter 14 - Good Times, Bad Times

 
 

Zapped 14 - "Good Times, Bad Times"
by Bob Arnold

Copyright 2003 by Robert Arnold — All Rights Reserved.

This is a work of fiction, with a few real life experiences added in. All of the characters in this story are fictional, and any resemblance to anyone else living or dead is probably a coincidence. Please notify me if you are archiving this and the other chapters of the story on a web site. Permission specifically granted to Sapphire’s Place and Crystal’s Story Site to archive this. If you intend to publish this story in magazine or book (paper or electronic) format, please contact me for arrangements. Additional information on this story may be found at: http://www.stardustr.us/zapped .

Thanks to Lynn Jennings for editing and proofing assistance with this chapter.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

For the week of January 13, 2003 to January 19, 2003

Dear Diary,

WHEW! What a week this has been. If I had known the… well, I'm getting ahead of myself. It all started Monday morning…

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Monday, January 13, 2003

Sally came over to get Maggie again. It seemed like it was going to become something of a habit for the kitten to visit me periodically. I didn't mind it at all and looked forward to the little fur ball showing up again.

I managed to get myself into the office reasonably on time despite having a problem with the water heater. I had to settle for almost ice-cold water in the shower this morning. I wasn't in the shower very long that's for certain.

"Morning, Barb. Oh, before I forget, there's no hot water. I think the water heater is out. There was a BIG puddle under it in the basement when I checked a few minutes ago. I'm going to call a friend to come and take a look at it."

"All right, Jen. Whom should I keep an eye out for?"

"The truck will say 'Brewster Heating and AirConditioning' on the side, Barb."

"This guy isn't a plumber?"

"He does plumbing for a few special clients. I'm going to give him a call now." It took a few minutes for me to get settled in my office then I dialed Barney's number. A woman answered the phone after a couple of rings.

"Brewster Heating. Can I help you?" I recognized the voice on the other end as Barney's wife.

"Can I speak with Barney please?"

"He's in the workshop at the moment. Can I tell him who's calling?"

"Please tell him its Jennifer Stevens. I'll wait."

"Jennifer Stevens? .. Oh Bob… err… Jennifer? This is Jolene. WOW! You sure do sound different!"

"Hi Jo! Barney said you were doing fine when I talked to him last night. How have you been?"

"With Barney around life is never dull, that's for certain. Say, when are you going to come over again? We haven't had you over for supper in ages. You're always welcome you know! Besides I want to see what you look like in person after your change."

"I know, Jo. Since the accident my life has sort of turned upside-down. I'll make time to pay both of you a visit but it might not be until summer."

"Well, we hoped we'd see you before that but I understand. Let me go get Barney for you, okay?"

"Jo, tell him I have water heater problems. I need him to come take a look at it if he has the time."

"All right, hang on." I heard the phone clack as it was placed on the desktop then footsteps as Jo left the room. A minute or so later she returned. "He said to tell you he'd be right over. You still at the same place?"

"Yup. Didn't see any reason to move elsewhere after the accident, Jo."

"I'll let him know. You come visit when you can. Bye Jennifer!"

"Bye, Jo!" The line clicked then went dead. I put the phone back on the hook and called out to Barb. "Barb?"

She poked her head around the door. "You bellowed?"

I rolled my eyes skyward and faked a hurt look. "Sheesh, everyone has to be a comedian. Barney Brewster should be here this morning to look at the water heater."

"Is this the same guy that worked on the furnace at the theater last night?"

"It is. Why?"

"I talked with him a little while ago. I got the figure for the repairs last night." She handed me a faxed bill.

I cringed when I saw the total on the bill. "Well, write out a check and give it to him when he comes. I guess it could have been worse. I'll talk to Greg about getting it back when the play is over."

"I'll make sure he gets the check, Jen. Oh, while you were on the phone with him, Ed Wilson called from the morning show in New York. Says to call him back at the studio immediately. There's been a change for Friday morning."

"Thanks, Barb, I'm on it." Since it was one of the phone numbers I was calling quite frequently recently I programmed it into a speed dial button on my phone system. I found out that Ed was outside at that moment doing a weather segment and some crowd shots. I left a message and went back to work on a stack of paperwork.

About ten minutes later Barb asked me to pick up line one. "Hello"

"Jennifer? It's Ed Wilson from the Morning Show. How are you doing today?"

"I'm fine, Ed. What can I do for you? Barb said something about a change for Friday?"

"Yup. I hate to spring this on you but they decided to do the entire show from the theater not just some live remote cut-ins. The entire cast and crew of the show will be up there on Wednesday to get settled in for Friday morning. Dan and Shelly are going to fly in late Thursday night."

"WHAT? Do you mean I have to book…"

"Jennifer, calm down! We already took care of all the additional arrangements for hotel rooms and such. We even called your caterer and arranged some additional food. Everything is fine. All we really need you to do is another one of your gadget segments for us in addition to the excerpts from the play. Can you get a segment ready in time?"

"Sure, that's no problem, Ed. I can do that."

"Great! I'm going to head up there this afternoon on the corporate jet. Can you meet me at the airport and show me a bit of the city?"

"I can do that, Ed. I'm glad to be your hostess for your stay in Syracuse."

"I'm happy to hear you say that because I have a favor to ask of you. Would you like to do the weather segments with me from various locations around the city during the rest of the week? The local affiliate is going to help with the video and uplink so that's all covered. All I need are some suggestions on where to go and what to see. Have any ideas?"

"Are you sure you want me to do this, Ed?"

"I wouldn't have asked you otherwise, Jen."

"All right. Let me call the station and see what they're capable of for remotes. It's been a while since I worked with them on anything like that. I know they've upgraded their gear since then."

"Thanks, Jen. I'll be in Syracuse around two this afternoon. See you at the airport?"

"I'll be there, Ed. At the private terminal right?"

"Right, gotta run. They need me for another segment again. Bye!"

The line clicked then went dead. A glance at the clock told me that the tech folks at the station should be available. I spent the next thirty minutes learning about the capabilities of their new remote gear then spent another hour getting some remote locations arranged for Ed's weather segments. By the time I finished it was coming up to eleven AM. I grabbed my cup and stepped into Barb's office to fill it up with hot chocolate.

"So how are things going out here at Insanity Central this morning, Barb?"

"Insanity Central? Where did THAT come from?"

I plunked myself down in the chair next to her desk. "Oh, I just have a feeling that this week isn't going to be one that I want to remember too well. I had sort of expected to spend a day on the phone doing some house hunting in Orlando but that's all gone out the window." I gave Barb the run-down on the change in plans as I knew it.

"Well, maybe I can help with some of this stuff. Did you want to pick up Ed yourself or are you going to send a limo?"

"He's expecting me, Barb. I was going to take the pickup and go myself."

"Hmm… I'm parked right behind you. Want to swap places now? It wouldn't hurt to warm the truck up either. It got down to five below zero out there last night."

"Good idea. The old girl has been complaining a lot lately. I haven't had the time to go out and try to get something new to replace it. I kinda hate to see it go."

"Well, just buy something new and get the truck fixed. With the way things are going for you I don't see a problem with your finances to do that. You could pay cash for the new vehicle too. No finance charges to hike up the price."

"Well, let’s get the vehicles swapped now while I have a little break in things. Let me get my parka."

Barney arrived just as we completed swapping the two vehicles. The pickup had complained bitterly about being roused out of a sound sleep. The engine sounded like it was going to fall apart until the oil had a chance to work its way into the chilled engine block. The sound returned to normal after it had a chance to warm up though. A few minutes later I caught up with Barney in the office.

"Hey, Barney! Thanks for coming over! I really appreciate it."

"After last night I thought I'd do this one for parts only, Jennifer. I owe you one for the business."

"I really appreciate that Barney but it isn't necessary. Let me show you where it is," He followed me downstairs into the basement watching my rear gyrate and bounce on each step. I heard a low whistle behind me as I reached the bottom step of the stairs.

"Still a tush man, eh, Barney?"

"Oh sh…..BUSTED! I admit it. Still have a thing for shapely posteriors like yours, Jen. I only look though. Jo still has complete control of my heart."

"And that's as it should be. If I ever hear that you've been unfaithful to that wonderful wife of yours I'll… I'll…"

"Okay, stop sputtering, Jen. I promise, cross my heart!" He made a crossing motion over his heart. "Now what's the problem here?"

I pointed to the puddle under the water heater. "No hot water and I found this when I came down to check."

He fussed with the old heater for several minutes as I watched. "Well, it's a good thing the emergency shut-off worked. Otherwise you'd be up to that delicious tush of yours in water right about now. Good thing the floor drain wasn't frozen either. The old glass tank inside the heater ruptured. I'll have to replace the whole thing. Have you had enough hot water when things were working?"

"Now that you mention it I sometimes run out when I take a bath right after doing a load in the dishwasher. I never had a problem before since I used to take real short showers. With this body I tend to take a long soak in a nice tub full of hot water a lot more often now. Guess I'll need a bigger heater huh?"

"Yup, unless you want to run out of water all the time. I'd guess that it would cost a few hundred dollars to get what you need and get it installed."

"Go ahead with it Barney. I might not be around when you're finished but Barb should be here. Just see her to get paid."

"Thanks, Jen. Let me make some notes on what I'll need then I'll go get the stuff. You should have plenty of hot water later this afternoon."

I hugged Barney and then left for the office.

"Well, Jen, is he all set down there?"

"He needs to make some notes then go get the parts. Looks like a new water heater. At least I won't run out of hot water when I go to fill the tub after this. When he's finished go ahead and pay whatever he asks. I trust Barney to do the right thing with the repairs."

Barb looked over at me as I sat down in the chair next to the desk. "Jen, how did you ever get to know someone like him anyway?"

"Oh, it was years and years ago when I was working construction jobs for a sound company. Barney was one of the folks working the heating and plumbing jobs and I kept running into him on a lot of the job sites. We struck up quite a friendship back then. I was even best man at his wedding to Jolene. The guy owns a multi-million dollar company now and he still goes out on the jobs himself because he cares about his customers. I'll grant the fact that his personal customers are a bit more select now than they were when he started though."

"Even then you traveled in some pretty high circles didn't you?"

"Not really, Barb. Barney is an old friend that made it good after years and years of very hard work. He's the exception not the rule in the crowd of folks that I know. Most are ordinary folks like you and I."

"Ordinary folks like YOU? You're hardly ordinary now, Jen."

I rolled my eyes and shook my head in mild amusement. "Well, like I USED to be then. Nothing has been ordinary since the accident, Barb."

"You got THAT right!" Barb glanced at the clock on the wall. "I got you all set up for this afternoon picking up Ed. They're expecting you at the private terminal."

"Thanks, Barb. I really don't know what I'd do without you now."

She simply shrugged then smiled. "You'd figure it all out on your own, Jen, but I have a feeling that your stress level would be off the charts. Now go get lunch ready while I make a few calls. I put a small turkey breast in the oven this morning so you can go check on that. There's a box of Stove Top stuffing that you can make up too. The cranberry sauce is in the fridge. Now SCOOT!" She gave me a pretty good pinch on my tush to get me moving.

"OW! I'm going… I'm going!"

The marvelous aroma of roasting turkey made my mouth water as I walked into the kitchen. I peeked into the oven to check the turkey then carefully basted it to make sure it didn't burn. I added some water and other fixings to a small sauce pan for the stuffing and put it on the stove to heat up. I used a can opener to open the jellied cranberry sauce it and put it in a bowl. Somehow it felt great to turn my mind away from the events of the day and think of nothing more than fixing a good meal. I found a simple inner peace and rejoiced in the feeling.

Barb wandered into the kitchen a few minutes later as I was finishing the stuffing.

"The stuffing 's all set, Barb. Think the turkey's done? The smell is driving me crazy!"

"Me too! It should be done. You set the table and I'll get the turkey out of the oven."

"You got a deal, Barb."

The lunch was fantastic and I completely stuffed myself with the turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce. There was some left over and I was looking forward to a good turkey sandwich when I got home later.

Barney returned with a stack of parts and the new water heater. The new one looked huge when I saw it being brought in. Barney was going to make sure that for most normal situations I wasn't going to run out of hot water again.

Sadly, the time came when I had to leave to meet Ed's plane. The truck rumbled to life and I made a quick trip to the hanger at the private terminal. The huge outer door opened as I neared the building and a ground crew person motioned for me to park inside the hanger. Ten minutes later the hanger door on the airport side of the building slid open and a small jet with the network logo on the tail was pulled inside.

I watched as the door opened on the side of the jet and the stairway was lowered. I saw Ed pop out of the plane and look around the hanger. When he saw the truck he waved and walked over with a huge smile on his face. "Let me guess, Twister, right?" He was pointing to the red Dodge RAM 1500 pickup truck I drove.

"Well, I saw it and I just fell in love with it a few years ago. I didn't realize how much it looked like the truck in the movie until someone else pointed that out to me."

"Looks great, Jen. Maybe we can use it as our signature vehicle when we do the weather segments. I'll bet it looks great on camera."

"That's fine with me, Ed. Got much baggage? The space behind the seat in the cab is available as is the entire back end if you need it."

"Good. Let's get loaded then we can go to the hotel to get me settled in." I watched five large bags get loaded into the back end of the truck then Ed climbed inside. "All set, Jen. I'm ready."

I pulled the truck out of the hanger and headed for the hotel in the downtown area. The traffic wasn't too bad at this time of day and we passed several snowplows cutting back the snow banks on the way.

Ed's eyes bugged out a bit as we passed the lumbering snow plows. "Are all the plows here that big, Jen? They're absolutely huge!"

"Well, we do get a lot of snow around here. I thought you graduated from SUNY Oswego so you knew all about central New York winters."

"I did but they didn't have plows that big over twenty years ago, Jen. Think we can do one of the remotes from a highway garage and talk to the plow crews? Might make an interesting story."

"I'll see what I can do about that, Ed. Ah, here's the hotel now." I pulled the truck into the parking lot and just made it into a parking space before a HUGE bang came from under the hood. The whole truck shuddered then the engine died a very noisy death.

"Uh oh. I don't like the sound of that, Jen."

"Neither do I, Ed." I sighed then shook my head. "Neither do I. Let me go take a look under the hood."

We both got out after I hit the inside hood release. Ed found the outside release lever. A big cloud of steam and smoke erupted from the engine as the hood popped open.

"Oh, Shit! Sorry, Jen. I didn't mean for you to hear that."

"Ed, in this case you said EXACTLY the right word." I looked at the hole in one of the valve covers and the oil that dripped slowly from everything. "Looks like it tossed a rod. We won't be using this as our transportation for a while, Ed."

"Do you have another vehicle, Jen?"

"No, but I can get one relatively quickly. I was going to get something new anyway and now's the time to do it."

"Aren't you going to fix this one?"

"I want to fix it, Ed. It has some very pleasant memories attached to it that I'm not ready to let go yet." A glance at my watch told me there wasn't much time left today if I was going to get a rental vehicle for a few days. "Let's get you inside and settled."

We walked into the hotel to get Ed registered. While he was taking care of that I called Barb to come and pick me up and then I made arrangements to get the truck towed to a friends repair shop in my old hometown. Ed borrowed the keys to get his bags out of the back.

Ed went to get settled into his room while I waited for Barb to come. As Ed left we agreed that I'd pick him up at the hotel around five in the morning to get ready for the first weather remote.

Barb picked me up and we headed back to the airport to visit a car rental place. I arranged to rent a Dodge Caravan for at least a week since I had no idea how long it would take to get another vehicle of my own. I had owned two Caravans before I got the pickup truck so I was comfortable driving one. When all the paperwork was completed I followed Barb back to the house and pulled the van in ahead of her car.

We settled into the office after we stashed our coats in the closet. "Well, that was an interesting afternoon, Barb."

"You've been saying you wanted to buy a new vehicle. Now you have a great reason for doing it."

"I didn't want to have to do it in the middle of winter, Barb. Now I don't have much of a choice, do I?"

"Guess not." She smiled at me as the phone rang. "Stevens Media Services. Yes, she's here. Would you like to speak with her?" Barb put the phone on hold. "Mark from MouseWorld on line one, Jen."

"I'll take it in my office, Barb, thanks!"

It took me a few seconds to get comfortable at the desk then I picked up the phone and punched the button for line one. "Hi, Mark. What can I do for you today?"

"How are things up there in sunny central New York? Getting any more snow?"

"All the time. That parka you got for me is getting a real workout. I'm sort of up to my armpits in alligators right now, Mark. Was there something you wanted?"

"Busy huh? What's going on?"

"Do you REALLY want to know?"

"Yup. Wouldn't have asked otherwise. Spill it, Jen."

"Well…" I told him the events of the day up to that point.

"Sounds nasty. Well, maybe I have something to cheer you up a bit. Want to spend a couple of weeks in sunny, WARM Los Angeles right after the play closes?"

"I was planning on a vacation anyway, Mark. What did you have in mind?"

"You've heard of Star Quest, right?" Star Quest was the highest rated sci-fi show on any of the networks at the moment. I was one of the biggest fans of the show before my change and had remained so recording each of the shows even if I couldn't be there to watch them in person.

"I watch it, Mark."

"Well, we produce that show at the studio in Los Angeles. I've been asked if you'd like to guest star in a two-part episode. We figure that it should take three to four weeks to shoot your scenes."

I paused to think for a few moments. Several big-name stars getting millions of dollars each for appearing in pictures had volunteered to work for scale to get on that show. Now here was a VP of the studio that produced the show asking me to do a guest shot that spanned two episodes.

"What's the deal, Mark? Why me and not some big name to catch the public's attention?"

"We wanted to give you some additional exposure on the show to build your name before you hosted the special, Jen."

"This isn't a part where I play a guy in a girls body is it? I don't want to get typecast that way."

"No, not at all. In the show you'd be a woman that had a brain aneurism and was cryogenically frozen after you died to preserve you until such time as they had the technology to fix the problem. The crew of the Quest discovers your cryo-ship drifting way out in space. They're able to revive you and repair the damage a full five hundred years after you died. We're still working on the rest of the script. The producers asked me to find out if you were interested."

"Well, you certainly have my attention but I'd like to see the script before I commit to doing the show."

"That's a reasonable request. If it's all right with you I'll pass along your interest in doing the show and have them send a copy of the script as it currently exists for you to look at. Expect a Fed-Ex package tomorrow, Jen. I think they'd like to get your input as soon as possible. They're willing to work with you on the episodes if you have any ideas."

"Thanks, Mark. I'll have Barb watch for it. It might be next week before I can look at the script though. I'm going to be pretty busy the next few days with the morning show folks. I have three live weather remotes to do with Ed Wilson then the performance on Friday morning."

"I know. Everyone here at corporate is very excited to see how well you do and what the numbers for the show look like."

My stomach made a huge flip-flop as I realized just now much my performance this week was going to weigh into my future. "I'll do my best, Mark. That's all I can do. I hope to visit Orlando next week for a couple of days to start looking for a house. Maybe I'll see you then?"

"Sure. Let me know of your plans materialize and I'll arrange something. Gotta dash. I have a call on another line."

"Thanks, Mark. Bye!" I put the phone down after the line went dead. A few moments later Barb poked her head into my office."

"Well, Jen, spill it! What did he want?"

"You mean you don't know already?"

"Well, I only heard your side of the conversation. You DID leave the office door open."

I spent the next ten minutes playing a game of twenty questions with Barb. Her probing and prodding helped me to sort out what I really wanted to do about the offer.

The clock was quickly running down to closing time for the office. Barb busied herself taking care of some last minute details for the remote tomorrow morning as I sat down next to her desk.

"I just wanted to say thanks again for being here, Barb. I really don't know what I'd do without you right now."

"I'm just doing what I was hired for, Jen."

"And you've gone above and beyond those duties, Barb. I've thought a long time about this. I'm going to double your salary, Barb. You're worth your weight in gold to me and I want to show my thanks for all of your caring and hard work. We wouldn't be as far along as we are if it wasn't for your constant support. And I'm NOT taking NO THANKS as an acceptable answer."

I watched the tears flow from the corners of Barb's eyes. She dabbed at the tears as they continued to flow. "I don't know what to say, Jen other than ‘Thanks!’ I'm just doing my job though."

"Let's not get into an argument over that, Barb. Now go fix your face and head on home. I'll lock up here. I have to get to sleep early to get ready for the remote in the morning."

"Thanks, Jen. Oh, before I forget again, I have the final surgery scheduled for about two weeks from now. They tell me I'll be able to come back in about a week after the operation for light duty stuff at the desk. It will take another few weeks for me to heal completely though. Looks like I'll be able to go with you for the big fuss in Orlando when you're ready."

"That's GREAT news, Barb! I really didn't want to leave you behind on this one. I'm really going to need you and Tammy down there when the pressure is on. Now go get some rest. I'll see you tomorrow afternoon because I won't be here when you get in. You can reach me on the cell phone if something comes up."

I watched her pull out of the driveway then I turned off the office lights and locked up.

I decided that a trip to the hospital to visit Adam was just what I needed to pick up my morale and quite possibly his as well.

I waited just outside his room until the nurse told me he was ready.

"Hi, love. How are you doing today?"

"I'm doing great, Jen. They tell me you saved my sight. I want to find a way to say thanks."

"Oh, I'm sure we can work something out, Adam. You can count on it!" I sat down on the bed next to him. "Now when are they busting you loose from this place?"

"They tell me tomorrow afternoon. I'm kinda looking forward to getting outta here."

"That's great! Are you feeling up to spending a few days at my place?" I hugged Adam tightly.

"Umm… well… I think I'd better go home if you don't mind. I'm not quite up to your kind of loving care yet, Jen. Besides. I need to tend to things at the mall."

I put on a pout and looked sad. "Are you sure, Adam? I really miss you."

He chuckled a little and shook his head. "WOW! You really got this girl stuff down don't you?" He tickled my side.

"Well… a girls gotta try doesn't she?" I sighed and hugged him even tighter. "Are you coming to the performance on Friday morning?"

"I doubt it, Jen. I don't think I can get the time off from work but I'll try." He returned my hug with a force a couple of times what I could muster.

"Hmmm… I love those hugs. I understand, Adam. I'll see you at the play on Friday night then. Now I'd better leave you alone so you can get some sleep. I need to get to bed too because I have to be up real early in the morning myself. Goodnight, love. This will have to hold you until Friday night."

I tossed my arms around Adam's neck and gave him the most mind-numbing kiss I could muster. When I broke the kiss we were both a little woozy.

A nurse hurried into the room with a look of great concern on her face. "Is everything all right in here? The readings from our patient there went off the scale for a few seconds."

I giggled a little then turned toward her. "Oh, that. We were just kissing. We seem to have that effect on each other." Adam nodded in agreement as his breathing returned to normal.

"I'll have to ask you to leave, Miss, visiting hours are almost over anyway."

"I know. I was just saying goodbye to your patient here. See you Friday, Adam. Goodnight, love!" I hugged him tightly then followed the nurse back out into the hallway.

I followed the nurse back to the monitoring station. "Is he really going home tomorrow?"

She nodded in agreement. "Tomorrow afternoon according to the charts."

"Thanks! I'm heading home now. Goodnight!"

"It was a pleasure to meet you Miss Stevens. Goodnight."

I left the hospital wishing I could be there for Adam when he was released tomorrow. Sadly, other plans had already been made that I couldn't break on such short notice.

When I got back home I spent a couple of hours doing the mundane tasks that help keep the house clean. I'd been so busy the past few weeks that I had neglected everything except the basics of keeping the kitchen and my clothes clean. I pondered the possibility of hiring a cleaning service but dismissed that idea since I had no idea how much I would be staying in the house the next few months. Events were building that would keep me away from home for what might be weeks at a time.

It was well past time for me to get into bed when I finally finished cleaning up. I decided to be good to myself and headed for the bathroom to give myself a treat. Barney was true to his word and the new water heater produced more than enough steaming liquid to fill the tub. It was just a bit hotter than before so I had to add a bit of cold water to make it just right. After a good soak I patted myself dry and headed for my bed. I had expected Maggie to be curled up on the pillow next to me but she was nowhere in sight when I closed up for the night. I even called for her just to be sure she wasn't waiting for me outside. It sort of left an empty spot in my heart and on the pillow next to my head as I drifted off to sleep.

Tuesday, January 14, 2003

I was up almost two hours earlier than normal since I had to pick up Ed for the first weather remote. I took another nice hot bath and enjoyed every minute of it. The warm water relaxed every muscle in my body and gave me a nice warm feeling inside. I reveled in the experience because I knew I was going to freeze my tush off outside over the next few hours.

I dallied way too long in the tub and managed to put myself a little behind time to pick up Ed. I decided to skip breakfast and pick up something on the run. Dressing took a little longer too since I was going for the warmth and not style. Central New York is an inhospitable place in winter and you don't want to tempt Mother Nature to do you any harm with frostbite.

A final glance at the clock told me I was running slightly later than I felt was comfortable so I grabbed my purse and parka then headed for the van in the driveway. The van started without a complaint and warmed up quickly on the way to the hotel. I pulled up out in front as Ed stepped out of the doors.

"Morning. Jen. I recognized you as you pulled in. Nice van. Is this your new vehicle?"

"Just a rental, Ed. I'm going to go to a dealer right after the remote this morning."

"That's good. Say, is there somewhere we could get a quick breakfast. I didn't have much to eat in the hotel."

"I skipped breakfast myself. Hmm… how about some bagels and cream cheese with a nice hot cup of coffee?"

"Sounds good to me."

"Great. I know just where to stop."

The Dunkin' Donuts shop was on the way to the park where the waterfall was located. I'd chosen a park in Chittenango since I knew that the waterfall there was all iced over and quite spectacular at this time of year. We would be doing the remote from the bridge at the top of the falls but I'd arranged for a camera crew to get pictures from the bottom of the falls where the best view was.

Ed followed me into the store. We waited in the line until we reached the counter.

"Can I help you, miss?"

"Sure. I'd like two dozen assorted bagels, three dozen assorted donuts and two large cups of cream cheese and two twenty cup packs of hot coffee with all the cups and napkins and stuff we'll need."

"It'll take a few minutes."

"All right, can I have a large coffee now and a couple of glazed donuts? Ed, what do you want while we wait?"

"What you're having sounds good, Jennifer."

I looked at the man behind the counter. A look of recognition spread across his face as a large smile appeared. "Got it. Go have a seat and I'll bring the coffee and donuts out, Miss Stevens."

Ed smiled at me as we slid into a booth. "Busted, eh?"

"It happens a lot around here, Ed. I'm a local celebrity I guess."

"Must be hard on you at times."

The counter person brought over then donuts and our coffee.

"Thanks.. um..."

"Bill, my name is Bill!"

"Thanks, Bill!"

"If you can wait a few more minutes we have a new batch of donuts and fresh hot bagels almost ready." I looked over at Ed. He nodded that we had the time.

"Thanks, Bill. We'll wait. I have a very cold and hungry remote crew to feed this morning."

"Great. Stop by tomorrow and I'll be glad to take care of your needs again, Miss Stevens. We've all been looking forward to your performance on Friday." He pointed to a television mounted in the corner of the shop. It was tuned to the local network affiliate's morning news program. A promo spot for the morning show was running showing me with the rest of the morning show crew.

"Jennifer, please call me Jennifer, Bill." Bill waved as he headed for the counter.

I smiled at Ed. "As you can see, fame does have some benefits sometimes. I'm sure the crew out at the remote is really going to enjoy those hot fresh bagels and donuts. Think we can give them a shout-out, Ed?" (Note: a "shout-out" is a mention of someone or a product that is not charged for like a normal commercial. In most cases it's just to say hello to someone or a supporter of the show.)

"I see no reason why not, Jen."

We munched on the donuts and hot coffee until our order was ready. I paid the bill and Ed lugged the big box out to the van while I carried the two huge plastic lined insulated cardboard containers of hot coffee.

We made it to the remote site and passed out the food to a chilled crew. Ed and I talked in the warmth of the van until it was time for the segment. We stayed at the waterfall location for the whole three-hour duration of the show doing the cut-ins as scheduled. A small crowd had gathered by the end of the show and we closed our last segment to the rousing cheers of almost a hundred people.

Ed and I bundled ourselves back into the warmth of the van after we told the crew about the arrangements for the highway garage tomorrow morning. At least the shoot tomorrow morning would be a bit more comfortable inside the huge garage.

I dropped Ed off at the local affiliate since he had to shoot some spots for promoting the next two weather remotes. I headed back to the office.

"Well' that went great, Jen." I unbundled my self from the parka and boots then plunked down in the chair beside Barb's desk.

"It was COLD out there! I was SO glad that I stopped to get the stuff at Dunkin' Donuts. It made it bearable out there."

"Seems the Dunkin' Donuts corporate folks liked it too. The Morning Show production office just called to say that they're now a sponsor for the rest of the week on both the weather segments and the live show from the theater. Just let the manager at that store know what you want and they'll deliver it for free as part of the deal."

"Really? That's great, Barb! Can you call Bill at the store and let him know that I want the same order as today for tomorrow except double it? I want to give the guys at the highway garage a big thank you from all the folks in central New York for their hard work so far this winter. And tell him I'd like him to make the presentation to the plow drivers himself! He needs to dress up a bit."

"I'll make the call, Jen. What about a new van?"

"I'm going right after lunch, Barb." I followed Barb into the kitchen for a wonderful lunch of spaghetti and fresh baked bread. I helped her put away the leftovers then grabbed my purse and parka for the trip to the dealer.

It took stops at three different dealers to find what I wanted for my new van. I located a steel blue 2003 Dodge Caravan SE much like the one I had rented. It was rather plain looking on the outside but it came with almost every option possible on the inside. I didn't flinch when the salesman quoted the total price for the van. I simply smiled and asked him if they would take a check for the entire amount or a credit card if they accepted them.

The look on his face was priceless since he didn't seem to recognize me. He sputtered a bit then said that it was highly irregular then went to get the sales manager. The sales manager introduced himself as Jeff Stillman.

"Please to meet you Mister Stillman. Is there a problem with my writing a check for the entire amount?"

"Not at all, Miss…"

"Stevens, Jennifer Stevens."

He sputtered for a few moments when he recognized the name. "Of course there's no problem, Miss Stevens. I should have recognized you!"

"That's quite all right Mister Stillman." I pulled the knit cap off my head releasing my long ponytail. "I'm not making an effort to be recognized today. Do we have a deal on the van?"

"Certainly. All I need to do is call your bank to confirm the check is good. Your new van should be prepped and ready to pick up tomorrow. We'll even take care of registering it and letting your insurance company know so they can add it to your existing policy. And please call me Jeff."

"All right, Jeff. Let's get the paperwork completed. I have a few more errands to take care of. And I'm Jennifer, please."

"Great, Jennifer. Please follow me into my office." He scowled at the salesman that had called him as I followed him into his office to complete the paperwork. I walked out of the dealership the proud owner of a brand new Caravan and would be able to take the rental back tomorrow after I picked up the new van.

The next stop was the grocery store for supplies. Barb's excellent lunchtime meals had depleted the stock in the fridge and cupboards and I was quite happy to re-stock whatever she needed for future meals. I pushed the cart around the store filling it from a list that Barb had prepared. I added a few things to the cart after I completed the list and headed for the checkout.

As I passed through the checkout I was recognized by a few of the other shoppers and soon a crowd had gathered clamoring for autographs. I guess that my appearance on the morning show had ratcheted up public interest a bit more. I signed as many autographs as I could until the security staff of the mall the store was located in rescued me. They escorted me out to the van and helped me load the groceries then watched as I left the parking lot.

I made it back home just minutes before Barb was supposed to leave for the day. She spotted me pulling into the driveway and came out to help with the groceries. It took almost half an hour to put everything away in the kitchen.

Barb left shortly after that and the rest of the evening passed rather quietly for a change. I managed a bit more cleaning and admitted to myself that I really needed to pay more attention to the normal household tasks than I had been. I went to bed early again since I had the second of the three weather remotes in the morning.

Wednesday, January 15, 2003

It was a mad dash to get myself ready for the remote. I overslept about half an hour since I forgot to set the alarm clock to wake me up early. I think I must have set a speed record for getting ready.

Ed was ready as usual and we headed for the largest highway garage in the county. The road crew was aware of the remote and had taken the time to set up quite an exhibit of snow clearing equipment for us.

The remote went pretty well and the bagels and donuts were a hit with the highway crew. They were most gracious despite the poor timing of our visit today. The forecast for tomorrow indicated some very heavy lake effect snow for Syracuse and the surrounding area and the crews were trying to prepare the equipment to do battle with the oncoming storm.

Ed and I talked about the impending weather as I took him back to the affiliate.

"So what do you think, Ed? Want to use the weather deck at the affiliate instead of a remote situation tomorrow. With their Doppler radar setup you should be able to do some good stuff. The station can even put a crew out in the field in the worst of it for some great pictures. I'll be there of course if you want me."

"Sounds like a good idea. I certainly don't want to have to have you or anyone else drive around in that stuff if it gets as bad as the forecasts say."

"Great. If you want to let the station folks know about the change I need to go get my new van and get this one back to the rental place."

"It works for me, Jen. See you at the station tomorrow morning. I'll make arrangements to get over there. Are you going to arrange for the donuts again?"

"I'll let Bill know about the change and get about what we got today. I'm sure the station staff will appreciate it."

I pulled the van into the station parking lot and watched Ed hustle into the building. The wind was really kicking up now causing the temperature to drop quickly.

Picking up the new van was a non-event. The dealership had everything ready and they even arranged for the rental van to be returned for me. The new van handled about the same as the rental van except this one had all-wheel drive. I reasoned that it was a plus considering the condition of the roads at times in the area. When the snow came down so fast that not even the road crews could keep up with it I wanted a measure of safety to be able to at least get home if I had to.

I pulled into the driveway at home just as Barb was leaving. I waited for her to pull her car out of the driveway. She pulled her car alongside and rolled down the window.

"Heading out early, Barb?"

"Yup. The forecast is looking pretty bad, Jen. I may not be in tomorrow."

"Don't worry about it, Barb. I'm not certain that I'll make it for the remote tomorrow morning either. Ed's going to do it from the local affiliate's weather deck instead of the nature park I had planned. The weather's just too unpredictable."

"See you Friday then maybe, Jen. By the way, you got a Fed-Ex package from MouseWorld today. I left it on your desk."

"Now get yourself home, Barb, and drive carefully. It's getting pretty slick out there!" I watched as the taillights of her car disappeared into the growing snowfall.

I fought my way inside the house through the howling wind and heavy snowfall. The house creaked eerily as the wind gusts shook it. The fading daylight showed snow building up rapidly on the roads.

Barb had prepared roast beef for lunch so I made myself a huge sandwich from some of the leftovers and a loaf of fresh potato bread that I bought yesterday. I took my supper into the living room to watch the local newscast on the large screen set. The weather forecast didn't look too good overnight with well over two feet of lake effect snow building up in Syracuse before the snow bands drifted out of the area around the late morning hours.

Ed called a few minutes after the newscast ended telling me that if I couldn't make it to the station in the morning not to worry about it. He had arranged for one of the plows to pick him up and drop him off at the station. The highway folks loved it because TV crews would be traveling with a couple of the plow crews overnight to get footage of them fighting the snow. The county highway department head was thrilled that their efforts were going to be featured on national television. I told him that I thought that I might be able to make it into the station if the roads were cleared out in the morning well enough for me to travel.

The dishes from my supper wound up in the dishwasher then I got the Fed-EX package out of my office and returned to the comfy couch in the living room. It turned out to be the script for the first Star Quest episode.

The premise for my appearance had changed considerably in just a day. Now I was the captain of a brand new next generation deep space exploration ship undergoing its first trials. The Quest would come to our aid after the new propulsion system fails in a test. The script introduced the eclectic crew of my ship interacting with the crew of the Quest. The show had quite a bit of comedy in it with a serious underlying streak. The episode ended with the engines of the Sojourner (my ship) being repaired and the Quest leaving for some galactic emergency elsewhere. The whole script read like they were trying to set up some kind of spin-off show to the popular series.

A few more pages and a note from Mark were tucked into the back of the script.

The note read -
"Jennifer,

This is a preliminary copy they gave me. I know it's different than what we talked about on the phone. The additional pages are an outline for a follow-on episode. I'll call you on Thursday to talk about this.

Mark"

I read through the three additional pages. They were an outline of an episode of Star Quest entitled "The Sojourner Chronicles".

The outline had my ship (the Sojourner) encountering an unknown race and the resulting first contact situation. There was some misunderstanding and the relationship with the Versyndi gets off to a poor start. My character then resolves the dispute and forms an alliance with the new race.

The script and the outline reeked of a spin-off and I suspected that if the numbers were good I might find myself the star of a network science fiction show. It was clearly an ensemble show but my character, being the captain, would be prominent as far as being the center of a lot of the individual episodes.

I laid the script on the couch and turned off the lights in the living room. I stared out the window at the snow swirling around in the back yard as the outside floodlight gleamed off a building snowdrift by the patio door.

My mind flooded itself with questions. First, did I want to open up the possibility of doing a weekly television show? Doing a one-hour television show involved a tight production schedule with little room for doing other things. It might mean giving up the radio show and would certainly mean severely restricting or eliminating my personal appearances for the computer chain at least until the show stopped shooting for the season.

Second, was I willing to accept being recognized even more in public places? Just doing the two episodes of Star Quest even if it didn't spin off into a series of its own would mean that I would be much more of a target wherever I went. I was recognized now in my hometown and the surrounding area but most people simply ignored me or they were at least very courteous about it. There were only a few times recently where I felt like things might have gotten seriously out of hand had it not been for someone intervening on my behalf.

Perhaps my largest fear was whether or not I could properly perform such a demanding role on a weekly basis. To be honest with myself, Victoria Grant in the play wasn't a major stretch of my acting abilities. I lived the life of a man in woman's body for several months before circumstances forced me into the role. I only had to bring some of my own emotions to the character to make her complete and believable.

Captain Jenna Tarson of the Sojourner was a strong willed woman. She wasn't afraid to kick some butt nor was she afraid to show compassion to others when the situation required it of her. Could I bring that character to life each and every week and do justice to it?

I thought about the many times recently when I automatically went into take-charge mode whenever a crisis arose in my life. The incident with the furnace at the theater was just the most recent in a string of events that came flooding back.

The male mindset I had struggled so long to suppress gave me the ability to make snap decisions in a crisis while my softer female side tempered that and gave me the stability to function. Was that so different from what a starship captain had to do?

I watched the snowdrift build outside of the patio door until I must have fallen asleep on the couch in the darkened living room.

The clock on the VCR read about two AM when I woke up. The snow outside had created a drift almost five feet high across the patio doors as the wind continued to blow the snow around. A full feeling in my bladder forced me to the bathroom where I emptied out then I almost fell into my bed.

Thursday, January 16, 2003

The alarm clock rudely went off waking me out a fitful sleep. I glanced out the window to see that the storm had continued overnight and was still in progress. From the look of things outside I was going to be stuck inside for at least the morning hours or maybe the whole day.

I finished up in the bathroom then got dressed. Once in the kitchen I turned on the morning news to see the first weather report of the morning. The snowfall total overnight was at almost four feet of snow and it was still coming down. The wind blasting out of the northwest was filling in the roads almost faster than the plow crews could clear them. The list of school and business closings was incredibly long for the hour of the morning. A list like that meant that not much would be moving on the roads outside for a while other than the snow plows battling the storm.

A glance at the clock on the counter in the kitchen told me that it probably was a little too late to try to catch Ed at the hotel so I dialed the local affiliate TV station. It turned out that he had arrived almost an hour ago on a county snowplow to great fanfare. A video crew had been on board to record the event and arrival at the station. He was busy with the meteorologists from the local station so I left a message for him to call me at home.

Twenty minutes later the phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Hi, Jen. It's Ed. You called?"

"Yup. What's it look like out there, Ed? As wild as it is here?"

"Well, they messed up on the forecast a bit. I know that the snowfall was supposed to be around two feet but the snow bands parked right over us instead of moving further south like the models said they would. They have almost five feet of snow here at the station. The road crews tell me that it's coming down faster then they can clear it off the roads."

"Hmm… pretty much what I thought too. Well, looks like I'm not going to see you today at least at the station, Ed. I know we're supposed to have a meeting at the theater this afternoon too. Did the technical crew make it into town yesterday?"

"They did. All the remote gear is here. They got in just before all this mess started. Most of the tech people got snowed in at the theater overnight so they're going to continue on with preparations since they're stuck there. As far as the meeting this afternoon it doesn't look too good. Hang on one…"

The noise in the background sounded like one of the station news crews on the radio reporting back into the station.

"Jen? Still there?"

"Yes, Ed."

"We just got a report that the mayor and county executive have declared a joint state of emergency. They're pulling the plows off the road for a few hours. The good news is that the bands of snow are starting to move north again. By noontime they'll be gone then they can get the roads cleaned up."

"Thanks, Ed. I guess that I'm going to spend the day at home today. I'll see you tomorrow morning at around five AM at the theater then."

"See you then, Jennifer and thanks for all the help so far!" The line went dead as I put the phone back on the cradle.

Moments later the phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Hi, Jen. It's Barb."

"Hi, Barb. Let me guess, you're not going to be here today!"

"Good guess, Jen, is that all right with you?"

"I would have questioned your sanity if you actually showed up here this morning. I'm not going to the station either."

"I was hoping you weren't going out in this mess."

"Ed says that it should all clear out later this afternoon. Looks like we're both staying at home today, Barb."

"All right then. I'll see you tomorrow at the theater in the morning."

"I thought you were coming to the office, Barb."

"Nope. I'm not going to miss a chance to see my boss performing live. See you then!" The line went dead before I could say anything else.

Since there wasn't much I had to do today I spent part of the morning reviewing products for the gadget spot tomorrow morning. I got around a dozen items together and boxed everything up setting the boxes next to the front door for the morning.

The snowdrift across the front porch was almost four feet high so I donned my parka and gloves and cleaned up the front porch and walkway. The driveway was covered in about four feet of snow with drifts that must have topped six feet in places. I got the snow blower out of the garage and spent the next two hours clearing the mess out of the driveway. Thanks to the help of a couple of the neighborhood kids the job went much faster than I expected. I put the snow blower away then headed back to the house after giving each of the kids ten dollars for their help.

As I opened the front door to go back inside a rust colored streak flew past me then stopped just inside the door.

"Well hello, Maggie! Trying to cash in a few of your nine lives are you?"

The kitten watched as I put the parka back in the closet then she began winding her way around my feet. I picked her up and headed into the kitchen.

The clock indicated it was nearly lunch time so I got out the leftover roast beef and made a sandwich for myself then chunked up a bit more of the beef for Maggie. I gave her all of the fat that was on the platter since Barb and I trimmed the fat off the meat. Maggie eagerly gobbled up the treat then looked for more.

Maggie watched as I poured some milk into a bowl and placed it on the floor for her. She emptied the bowl then began the fur cleaning that signaled she was full. My own dishes plus the ones I used to feed Maggie wound up in the dishwasher. It was full so I hit the start button to do the load.

Before I left the kitchen I called the neighbors to let them know that Maggie was paying a visit and not to worry about the kitten in this awful weather. Sally said she would stop over in the afternoon when the weather improved.

Maggie followed me into my office and curled up in my in-basket as I took care of some paperwork. An hour or so later most of what I had to do today was complete so I headed for the living room with Maggie following along behind me. I got comfortable on the couch then Maggie took up her usual spot on my tummy.

I woke up with a start when the doorbell rang. A glance at the clock told me that I must have fallen asleep since the clock read nearly five PM. I scooped up the still sleeping kitten and headed for the front entrance. Sally, true to her word, had arrived to collect the wayward kitten. I gave Maggie a little hug then handed her back to Sally.

I headed back to the kitchen after getting the script for Star Quest from my office. While I was eating my supper of soup and come crackers I re-read the entire script. I still had questions about it. Attempts to contact Mark at MouseWorld during the day had been futile since it turned out he was called away to a meeting in another state. The script and the accompanying outline pages for a second episode only generated more questions about what the folks at MouseWorld had in mind for me.

A thought occurred to me as I headed back to my office. I had a few friends on the staff of the local affiliate station and I decided to call one of them to see what they knew about the show.

The call turned out to be highly informative. Star Quest was dropping in the ratings but then every science fiction show on any network was dropping too. The general theory was that science fiction shows had run their course as comedies and dramas took over again at the top of the Neilson ratings. Star Quest was currently on a "production break", an optimistic industry term meaning that somewhat desperate actions were being contemplated to save the show. The network had committed to only eight of the normal run of eighteen or more new shows. It looked like the two episodes that I might work on were going to be in that group.

That implied one or maybe both of two possibilities. First, the show's producers were trying to launch another show on the back of the failing Star Quest. It certainly wouldn't be the first time that a show's producers had tried something like that. Second, and the more probable idea, the producers were "stunting". They were going to load up those 8 episodes with as many stars and as many wild plot lines as they could to boost the numbers for the show to something the network might reconsider.

TV and movie acting was decidedly different from stage acting. On the stage you had the immediate feedback of the audience to know if what you were doing was correct. Also, your actions and character had to be much larger than normal to project all to the way to the back of a packed house.

Acting in front of a camera took away that positive feedback that a real audience gave you. You also had to pull back your performance quite a bit. Facial expressions and body language were crucial elements on the screen where close-ups were common. On the stage only the people in the first few rows could even see you in enough detail for emotions to be of importance using your face.

If only to sample what it was like to do TV or movie acting I made the decision to take on the role of Captain Jenna Tarson and appear in the two episodes of Star Quest. I didn't expect that a series would result out of it since the ratings for sci-fi shows in general were in a decline. I could have some fun and learn a lot in the effort.

The script stayed in my office as I headed to my bedroom. Friday was going to be a very long day since I had to be at the theater by five AM to get ready for the broadcast. After that I'd be able to catch a little rest in my dressing room at the theater then do the evening performance of Victor/Victoria. I decided that an early bedtime was the best plan.

The muscles in my lower back and thighs were a bit stiff from all the shoveling I had done to clear the huge drift that had formed on the porch and clearing the driveway. I decided that a long soak in a tub full of hot, lilac scented water was just what I needed to relax. I started the water in the tub and added the much-needed lilac bath oil to make the bubbles.

All of my clothes wound up in the laundry hamper. The water felt great as I slowly lowered myself into it. It was a little warmer than I normally preferred but I knew that the extra heat would do wonders for my aching muscles. I snuggled down into the tub until the water just reached my nose. My breasts were nearly covered by the hot water with only the nipples exposed to the cooler room air. Each time I breathed the water would advance covering my nipples then recede when I inhaled again. The constant change between hot and cold soon caused a reaction not only in my nipples but elsewhere. The burning desire had returned leaving me wishing Adam was right beside me in the tub to satisfy it. Giving in to the demands of my anatomy I applied some manual stimulation and was soon lost in the bliss that multiple orgasms could bring.

As I came down from the mind numbing high I was feeling I decided that Adam was going to be the lucky recipient of yet another weekend of fun and games. I was not about to accept "Not this weekend, Jen." as an appropriate answer.

By the time enough control of my lower extremities had returned to stand up the water had cooled considerably. I finished up my cleaning chores then popped the plug to let the water drain. A large fluffy towel absorbed the rest of the water on my silky smooth skin. I left the towel on the side of the tub and walked naked into my bedroom.

The cooler air once again teased my nipples into responding but the fire that had ignited before didn't flare up again. It took almost half an hour to complete drying my hair and combing out the tangles. When I finished my hair gleamed like fine golden threads in the light of the makeup table mirror.

It was only a matter of another few minutes until I slipped between the smooth satin sheets with a huge down comforter on top. I was asleep in moments after I turned out the room lights.

Friday, January 17, 2003

Adam and I were on a fantastic white sand beach on a deserted island just about to make wild passionate love with each other. All of a sudden a turtle crawling next to us on the beach rudely started buzzing disturbing the mood.

My eyes popped open to see that the alarm clock on the nightstand was only doing what I had told it to do. The time read three-thirty and that meant I needed to get up and get ready to go to the theater for the live broadcast this morning.

As usual my bladder complained of my lack of attention to its demands so I padded quietly to the bathroom. I finished my business then got into the shower to make the final preparations for the day. By the time I finished my shower and dressed the aroma of cooking bacon drifted into my bedroom.

The kitchen light was on and the sounds of someone rustling around floated down the short hallway. I poked my head cautiously around the edge of the kitchen door to see Tammy working on making some homemade hash browns.

"TAMMY!"

She jumped as the frying pan she was holding crashed to the floor.

"Jen! You scared the hell out of me! I wasn't expecting you for another ten minutes or so."

I picked up the empty frying pan and set it on the stove. "What are YOU doing here? I didn't think I'd see you until the theater this morning."

She smiled and then shrugged. "What can I say? I just thought that you could use a good breakfast this morning. I know how you can get when you get busy. You forget to take good care of yourself and eat right."

I sniffed indignantly and plopped down at the kitchen table. "I CAN take care of myself you know!"

Tammy stepped over and hugged me tightly. "Just go with the flow and don't worry about details today, all right? You're going to have a very busy day."

"I guess… so what's for breakfast anyway?"

"Bacon with hash browns and an egg on top. Want yours sunny side up?"

"Sure. Is there any OJ in the fridge?"

"Yup. Help yourself while I get the hash browns going."

Breakfast went smoothly. Thirty minutes later we had everything cleaned up and I was turning the key on the lock on the front door. Tammy insisted that we take her car but I was just as adamant that I wanted to take my van too. I didn't know what my afternoon schedule would be and I wanted the van in case I could come home for a little while before the performance tonight. I won the argument and followed Tammy to the theater.

Half of the cast parking lot was taken up by a compound of trailers that had sprung up over the last couple of days. A satellite truck with what looked like a twenty-foot foldable dish sat on the street. It was the only place that had a clear view of the satellite that would carry our signal to New York City for the network.

A plywood vestibule had been hastily constructed around the stage entrance to keep out the cold air. The inside door was blocked open by a huge bundle of cables snaking their way into the bowels of the building from the trucks outside. The outside plywood door worked well enough to keep out the cold blast of air outside. A heavy plastic drape was taped over the inside doorframe to help keep the unwanted ice-cold air outside.

Inside the theater was a beehive of activity with people running everywhere. I shook my head at the growing chaos and went to get situated in the dressing room that I used for the play. A few minutes later I wandered out to the stage area getting quite a shock at what I saw.

The orchestra pit had been covered over with planking extending the stage at least another thirty feet toward the seats. The orchestra had been relocated to the back of the expended stage on risers like a regular big-band setup you'd find in an old movie. Huge bundles of cables snaked out from under the covered orchestra pit to the relocated sound and lighting consoles now setting in an isle almost halfway to the back of the theater.

Off to stage left of the orchestra was a small set consisting of several chairs and a couch almost like you would expect to see on a late night talk show. A huge projection TV screen displaying a set of color bars at the moment sat behind it above an eight-foot high backdrop. Tripods for TV cameras were scattered everywhere and a few portable cameras sat in a row on the stage awaiting the crews to run them. A couple of cameras were installed on the balcony with two more located on either side of the theater on platforms set up over the seats.

A few of the regular theater crew busied themselves by cleaning up the stage and applying last minute touch up paint here and there. I found a seat several rows back from the stage in the center and sat quietly wondering what I had gotten myself into. It was then that I noticed that the orchestra had grown from the normal compliment of about 20 people. I lost count at around 50 chairs on the orchestra section of the stage.

Several minutes later Greg came wandering out toward me with a small box in his hands. He worked his way across the row of seats and plopped down beside me. The box contained two cups of coffee and several donuts. He handed me a cup of coffee then offered me a donut.

"Thanks, Greg."

"You looked kinda lost out here, Jen. I saw you when you first came in a little while ago."

"I am lost, Greg. What the hell have I gotten us into this morning?" I pointed at the stage and shrugged.

He reached over and patted my trembling hand. "Don't worry about it, Jen. Two hours after the show is over this morning this will all be gone and the theater will be back to normal for tonight. They guarantee it. We even got an upgrade to the sound system out of the deal. They're leaving behind the mixing console as a donation to the group."

"Why the expanded orchestra, Greg?"

"That's for the show this morning. They wanted extra musicians and I was able to get some folks from the local symphony orchestra. They wanted a big orchestra sound for when you sing this morning."

I shook my head in disbelief. "All that for two numbers from the play, Greg? It hardly seems worth the extra effort."

"No, Jen, they want YOU to sing this morning. Separate from the numbers from the show."

"WHAT?" My internal stress levels jumped about ten thousand percent in the space of a nanosecond. "They never told me anything about it, Greg!"

"They neglected to tell me that I shouldn't tell you or that they never told you." He screwed up his face in a strange expression. "Does what I just said make any sense?"

"NONE OF THIS MAKES ANY SENSE, GREG!" I was one step away from a total meltdown. Greg had to force me back down into the seat and hold me there. Otherwise I would have run away straight back home and stayed there.

"CALM DOWN, JEN! You can do this! Remember that oldies show we did a few months before your change? You better remember it, you did the sound for it."

"Yes. It was a fund-raiser so we could do the play we were doing now."

"Then you already know all of the music. You selected it yourself from your collection. Besides they will have all the words on the Teleprompters scattered around the stage."

I know that Greg could feel me shaking in the seat. "Are you SURE I can do this, Greg? I'm not!"

"This self-doubt is coming from the woman that stared tornados down? This self-doubt is coming from the woman that rescued people from a burning bus on her way home from the hospital after a total sex change she didn't expect or want? Of COURSE you can do it, Jen. You're the ONE person I know that has, excuse the expression, the balls to do whatever she wants to do."

Several deep breaths later I felt barely under control and only slightly less likely to bolt out the back door and run screaming at the top of my lungs into the snow. "Are you going to be out there, Greg? I'll do it ONLY if you're going to be out there leading the orchestra."

"Just try and STOP ME, Jen. I'm there for you like you've been here for me all of these years. We're a team, remember?"

"I hope so, Greg. I'm crawling way out on a limb with this one. I just hope that the magic we worked before happens this time."

Greg stood up and waved his hands toward the stage. "Presto-chango, hocus pocus, bring this whole mess into focus!" He turned toward me with a big goofy grin on his face. "There you go, Jen. The magic is in place. Now stop worrying about it!" He reached down and patted my shaking hands.

I giggled nervously for several seconds. "Presto-chango, hocus pocus? That's a magic spell?"

He shrugged and smiled. "HEY! At least it rhymed didn't it?" He bent down and hugged me tightly then gently kissed my cheek. "Now go back and talk to the production folks. You're going to be one busy gal this morning. Now SCOOT!" He pulled me up out of the seat then gently pushed me toward the isle.

My stomach felt like it might give up its contents so I headed for the lady's room barely making it into a stall. I decided that it definitely tasted better the first time as the heaving slowly subsided. Staggering over to the sink, I washed my face and hands feeling somewhat better and a little less likely to do that again unless I foolishly put something else in my tummy. The door opened as I leaned wearily against the makeup table in front of the mirror with my throbbing head in my hands.

"Jen, you look like shit!" I instantly recognized the voice I heard.

"Thanks, Barb, you're a real confidence builder, you know that?" I looked over at Barb and managed a weak, crooked smile.

"Sorry, but you DO look pretty bad. Are you all right?"

I glanced at my reflection in the mirror. "If pale green is my normal skin color then I guess I'm fine." I fell into a chair next to the table and buried my head in my hands again.

"Green just ISN'T your best color, Jen." She put her hand on my back and started rubbing slowly. "What's wrong, hon?"

"I just learned that they want me to sing this morning. I sorta tossed breakfast too."

"Well, you DO have the two numbers from the play. What's so hard about that?"

"No, they want me to sing with the orchestra doing some oldies tunes. It scares me to death."

"Why?"

"It just does." I looked up at Barb with mascara stained eyes.

"If you can't do this now how are you going to host that live show in Orlando in front of a hell of a lot more people, Jen?"

"I don't know." I buried my head in my hands again.

"Come on and pull yourself together, Jen. You're not usually like this. You're only like this when… DAMN! When was your last period?"

"Almost a month ago… are you saying what I think you're saying?"

"It's the only thing that fits, hon. Did you take your birth control pill this morning?"

"I always do, Barb. It was a white one. DAMN! Most of them are pink. Yesterday's pill was a white one too. That means…"

"YUP. You're starting in on your period, hon. The white pills in your pack are just a mild cramp reliever and they let your body have the period it needs to clean itself. No wonder you're a bundle of nerves right now. Your hormones are all screwed up!"

"It STILL doesn't make me feel better about doing this, Barb. At least I'm a little relieved that I'm not having a mental breakdown now that I understand what's happening to me. Why did this have to happen now?"

"I dunno. It just happened. Are you going to let this get to you?"

"Hell, no!"

"Good! Then go slip back into that stall and put in a tampon just in case."

"I didn't bring my purse with me, Barb. I left it in the dressing room."

"I'll go get it. You just wait here and wash your face again. You're a real mess."

"Thanks LOADS! You instill a great deal of confidence in me, you know that?"

"I try, hon!" Barb hugged me tightly then left to retrieve my purse.

When Barb returned I took care of the period problem, took some additional medication hoping it would stay down, and fixed my makeup. I still didn't feel much better but I sure looked like I did. Barb escorted me back to my dressing room then went to find someone on the show's production staff.

A few minutes later I heard someone knocking on the door. "Come in!"

"Jennifer! How ARE you?" I looked up to see the smiling face of Mary Stone, one of the producers of the morning show.

"MARY! I thought they kept you chained to the studio in New York City! How did you get loose?"

"I convinced 'em that they couldn't get along without me when I heard that the whole show was going to originate from here. I brought you something too!" She held out a mug full of steaming dark brown liquid.

"Is this what I think it is, Mary?" I sniffed at the cup then took a sip. It was the hot chocolate that they served in the green room in the studio. It tasted like heaven to me. My tummy seemed to tolerate it too.

"Yup. I don't go ANYWHERE without it. I even brought you a new supply. I gave it to Barb to take back to your office."

"Oh, thanks, Mary. How did you know this is just what I need right now."

"Umm… Barb told me about your little problem." I turned a deep red and coughed a little on the hot liquid as I sipped it.

"Damn. I really didn't want it getting all over the theater, Mary. I have a shows to do this weekend that I can't get out of."

"Don't worry about it. I'm the only one that knows and I'll keep it that way. Just let me know if you need to take care of umm… things… and we can shift the schedule around a bit."

Mary and I talked for about fifteen minutes about the plan for this morning. I'd do the Gadget Goddess segment in the second half-hour then have a half an hour break to get ready for the play songs. The mini-concert was supposed to take place in the last hour of the show.

When Mary left, Greg came in with a stack of sheet music. He was right; I did know most of it. I was told to select about ten tunes to do. The exact ones we would ultimately use would be determined on how well everything went. I pulled a few of my personal favorites and a few newer tunes too. I hoped that I could do each of them justice with no way to practice them.

My dressing room seemed like the place to stay away from the bustle of the stage area so I made myself comfortable when Greg left. A few minutes before showtime I heard another knock on my door.

"Come in!"

Shelly White, one of the show's co-hosts, poked her head around the door. "Got a minute, Jen?"

"Sure, Shelly!"

"I never did get to thank you for taking over that elf spot with Ed last month. I really wasn't in any condition to do it."

"I know, Shelly. I was happy I could help out, that's all."

"Well, it meant a lot to me that day. I was wondering if you'd come out front and host the show with us this morning, Jen. I think you'd have a blast with it."

I sighed for a moment. "Are you sure about this, Shelly?" She nodded that she was. "Well, I'll come out for a little while but to tell you the truth I'm a bit out of it today. Please don’t say anything to the others but it's THAT time of the month for me."

Her eyes got very big. "And you're still going through with all of this? I get so bad I can't go on. It's in my contract that I have those days off."

"I just do what I gotta do, Shelly. I'll come out for the start of the show, how's that?"

"Thanks, Jen. I promise we won't keep you too long out there. I know what you're doing for us today and you do need lots of time to get prepared."

"I'll be out in a few minutes, Shelly. Remember, no word about my little problem to anyone else, okay?" She nodded then crossed her heart and hugged me.

"See you out on the stage, Jen."

Now that I was going to be on-stage for a few minutes at the start of the show I made sure the red satin blouse I wore was clean and that my jeans hadn't gotten dirty on the way here. I wondered if I should change from my Western style boots to some strap heels then decided that warm feet were more important to me at the moment. As a concession to the demands of the show I un-buttoned the top three buttons of my blouse revealing a bit more cleavage than I would normally have preferred. The heart shaped pendant I wore dangled in just the right spot between my breasts. I brushed my hair then headed out to the makeup area.

It took a few minutes for the makeup crew to adjust my makeup to the television lighting. I waited quietly in the wings as the orchestra started playing the morning show theme music. I heard the director counting down in the little earpiece I wore in my ear. He cued the announcer to start the show.

Two minutes later I was introduced to heavy applause from the assembled audience. The house lights were on so I could see the sea of people that crammed into the theater. The applause buoyed my spirit considerably as it died down while I took a seat next to Ed.

Ten minutes later the first commercial segment aired and I left the stage to prepare for my Gadget Goddess segment in the next half-hour. I decided to stay in my "street clothes" then double-checked the items I had placed on a roll-around table. When the commercial segment ended the theme music they used for my segment started.

The segment must have lasted at least twenty minutes with Shelly, Dan and Ed asking me questions as I demonstrated each gadget I brought. A few were rousing hits with the audience while a few others bombed big time as I had known they would. It was great fun to have the feedback of such a large audience for a change. The fun had to end though when we went into another commercial break.

This time I went backstage to begin my transformation into Victor for the first of the two musical numbers for the play. The iron maiden was wrapped around me and tightened smashing my breasts uncomfortably and filling out my narrow waist with padding. I stepped into the fake suit that the wardrobe folks made then held still while Sam put on my wig and makeup. From a final glance in the mirror as I headed back to the stage I realized just how much like a man I looked in the costume. The cramps in my middle certainly drove home a much different meaning.

The first number from the play was rather well received. The network went into another commercial break as I made the mad dash to get changed into my female costume for the "Le Jazz HOT!" number. The costume was a rather revealing glittering dress with a floor length fringe that hung down from my waist like a skirt. It left my legs free to dance giving enticing glimpses of my thighs as I did so.

This number was a large production effort with the whole orchestra becoming involved as well as several male and female dancers. The audience went wild as the last notes of the music faded. As a dramatic flourish I pulled off the elaborate headdress I wore revealing the short male style wig I wore underneath as I did in the normal show. The audience went wild again and I took my final bows as the network went into yet another commercial break.

There was little for me to do for another hour so I went back to my dressing room to get back into my street clothes. As I finished changing I heard a knock on the door. "Come in!"

"Are you decent, Jen?" It was Mary Stone, the show's producer.

"Come on in, Mary. I'm just finished changing."

"I have to tell you that I thoroughly enjoyed your performance, Jen. I've decided to stay for the show tonight."

"Thanks, Mary. I hope you enjoy it."

"I'm sure I will. Now, about your final performance today, are you going to wear that?" She pointed to the clothes I had worn to the theater this morning.

"What's wrong with this?" I was wearing the red satin blouse with the three top buttons open revealing a fair bit of cleavage and was tailored to hug my waist. My jeans hugged my hips and legs tightly leaving little of my figure to the imagination. The only possible change I saw was the western style boots I wore. They were nice and warm since, at times, the theater could be rather drafty.

"Well, we were thinking that maybe a little black dress would…"

"No, that's NOT going to happen, Mary. I need to know if they're clapping for my singing not a better view of my tits and ass. Besides, nobody told me that I'd have to do this today and I'm not very happy about it."

"You mean that you didn't know you were going to sing this morning? We knew on Monday when the plans changed. I gave strict orders that you were to be asked before we assumed you would sing." She shook her head and sighed. "Look, Jen. I don't know what we'll do but if you're really against this I understand. Just let me know now so I can find something else to fill the time."

My heart jumped into my throat at the mere thought that I might actually get out of singing this morning. The problem was that I had no idea what Mary was going to find to fill in an hour of airtime if I said I wouldn't sing.

"Mary? I'll do it. I didn't mean to sound harsh. It's just the way I'm feeling this morning."

Mary smiled and patted me on the arm. "I know, hon. I felt that way when I had my periods too. It's tough being a girl at times isn't it?"

"Yes, but I'd never want to change back, Mary."

"Really? Why, Jen?"

"Well, I'd be stuck in a dead-end job as the network manager at the college. This way I normally feel so much better and I have a whole world that's opened up for me that I would never be able to have as the old me. No, I never want to go back, Mary."

"Well, kiddo, I'm glad to hear that. I wouldn't want to loose you as a friend either. Now I just made a fresh batch of hot chocolate and I think you could use a cup to mellow out a bit more. Come on."

I followed her out to the little kitchen in one of the rooms and filled my cup with the steaming liquid of the Gods then added a few marshmallows to the brew. I went back to my dressing room and waited there until a few minutes before I was scheduled to go on the final time.

The commercial break was ending. Ed was standing beside me just off-stage as Shelly and Dan Jackson (the other co-host) introduced me. I felt like running away and hiding again and would have made it except for Ed tossing me over his shoulder and carrying me out to the center of the stage like a huge sack of potatoes. The audience roared with laughter at seeing me treated that way. I simply shrugged my shoulders after he put me down gently at center stage.

The lights dimmed leaving the stage dark except for the lights on the music stands in the orchestra and a single spotlight focused tightly on me. I picked "Can't Fight The Moonlight" by LeAnn Rimes from the movie "Coyote Ugly" as the first song since the movie meant so much to me before my change. The movie represented all the dreams I had then that I was now actually living.

The first notes started and I froze just staring into the inky blackness. My pounding heart crept into my throat and I thought I was going to die from the fear sweeping over me. Then a small flashlight illuminated a single face in the front row. It was Adam! I knew he was released from the hospital yesterday but after our conversation I never expected him to turn up here this morning. I concentrated on his face, swallowed the lump in my throat and began to sing…

"Under a lover's sky, gonna be with you and no one's gonna be around,
If you think that you won't fall we'll just wait until, til the sun goes down
Underneath the starlight, starlight… there's a magical feelin' it's so right…"

A big smile spread across his face. I felt my fears about singing in front of over a thousand people and the rest of the world evaporate as I poured my feelings into the song. The house lights slowly came back up full along with the stage lighting revealing the orchestra and three other women on the stage acting as backup singers.

There are no words to express the joy in my heart during that performance. The orchestra was note for note perfect and the quality and intensity of their playing only spurred me on to be even better. Greg had indeed cast his magic spell over the place and me as well.

I did five more songs then turned to Greg to select the last song. I got quite a surprise when he held up a copy of the sheet music for "The Future is Now". I had never created any sheet music for the song and as far as I knew the MIDI tracks for the song were still safely locked away on my PC.

I leaned over to whisper to him. "But how…"

"Never mind right now, Jen, just SING!" He counted the orchestra down to the start of a driving drumbeat as the familiar bass line started.

I launched myself into the song giving it everything I had. As the last notes reverberated through the theater the audience erupted into applause after jumping to their feet. I heard the last few measures of the song being played back over the sound system as the show went into another commercial break. The audience was still applauding and continued to do so for at least another two minutes until the commercial break was over.

Someone in the audience yelled "ENCORE" and almost everyone took up the chant. I glanced over at Mary to see that she was eagerly shaking her head yes. Greg had a song selected and I agreed as he counted in the orchestra again.

As the first notes started two of the backup singers came over beside me to form a line. The song was "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" and the three of us managed to do some decent harmony as the trumpet player really cut loose. The whole orchestra really got involved to the delight of the audience.

Once again the words fail to come to describe the joy in my heart at the music I heard and helped to create. The audience burst into wild applause again as the last notes of the song faded out. A voice in my earpiece said to say goodbye and wrap up the show.

Reluctantly I waved to the audience and thanked them for their wonderful support and that it was time for us to go. The orchestra started playing a big band version of the old Beatles tune "Hard Day's Night". Ed, Shelly and Don came over to congratulate me on my performance as the closing credits rolled over our picture on the big screen TV.

About two minutes later a little voice in my ear said "CLEAR!" and the big screen TV went dark. Someone came on the public address system asking the audience to clear out so they could begin tearing down the stage additions. The rush to return the theater to its normal appearance was on and I realized that standing in the middle of it probably wasn't the best place to be. I searched the faces of the crowd near the stage hoping to see Adam but I could find no trace of him. Not knowing what else to do I headed back to my dressing room and collapsed onto the couch.

The next thing I felt was a hand gently stroking my hair. I pried one eye open and the image focused itself into the face of Adam smiling at me.

"Well, welcome back, beautiful! I was wondering if you were going to sleep until the show tonight."

"How long have I been out, Adam?" I opened both eyes and rubbed them working out the grit that collects when you sleep.

"Oh, about four hours, love. I guessed you were running on nerves by the end of the broadcast this morning so I didn't let anyone wake you."

"Yeah, that's about right. How long have you been here?"

"About four hours. I would have been here before you dozed off but I had to use the men's room. The lines were incredible and it took me forever to get in there!"

I managed a little smile and a giggle. "Now you know what I go through, love." I reached out to pull him on top of me from the chair he was sitting in.

"HEY! Let's not get anything going here. I'd rather save it for later tonight after the play!"

"Hmm… two minds with a single GREAT thought. I wonder how often that happens?"

A small frown appeared on his face. "Not as often as I wish it could, Jen. You're gone an awful lot these days you know."

"I know but I intend to make it up to you this weekend, hon." I pulled Adam tightly to me and gave him a mind numbing kiss. A few seconds later I felt something in his pants harden. "Well that got the desired response didn't it?"

"Not here, Jen. It isn't very private."

At that moment the door opened and Tammy poked her head around it.

"OOPS! I think I should have knocked first." She walked into the room and closed the door behind her. "Will you two get a room?" She giggled as she sat down in a chair next to the makeup table.

I scowled at her. "I thought we had a room! What did you want Tammy?" Adam's desire had deflated when Tammy entered. He untangled himself from me then helped me to sit up on the couch and sat down beside me.

"You haven't had anything to eat since you threw up this morning, Jen. You HAVE to eat something."

"WHAT? You threw up, Jen? Why didn't you get medical help?"

"For what, Adam? Its just nature you know. Mother Nature's little joke on women each and every month."

"AW MAN!" Adam looked like I had slapped him in the face or something.

"Adam, there are other ways you know. Besides just holding me in your arms helps me feel better."

"I understand, love." He wrapped his arms around me and hugged me tightly. "Now you really should get something to eat, Jen. Think you're up to it now?"

"I think I can handle something, Adam. Where shall we go?"

Tammy spoke up. "We've got leftovers from this morning in the kitchen, Jen. You don't have to go out unless you want to."

"I think I'd rather go out for a bit. The change will do me good, Tammy."

"Jen, how about Salvatore's? It's just a few blocks away." He gave me another tight hug.

"That sounds good. We can take my van, Adam."

"Great! Let's go!" Adam looked over at Tammy. "Coming, Tammy?"

"If you want me to, Adam. I thought you both might want some time alone?"

I smiled at her. "It's all right, Tammy. You have to eat too. Come on, girl! Get your stuff!"

A few minutes later, we all piled into my van heading for Sal's. Adam insisted on driving claiming I was in no condition to do so myself. I was still a bit light-headed and very much feeling the effects of running only on adrenalin for the past few hours.

As usual, Salvatore himself insisted on taking care of our little party. He led us to a secluded table off to the side of the dining area.

"Jennifer, my sweet! How are you doing?"

"I'm fine, Sal. How's business?"

"Wonderful thanks to the catering you have bought us. What can I get you today?"

"Well, first, no more alcoholic beverages for me. I've given them up so how about a bottle of your finest sparkling grape juice?"

"Excellent. I have a wonderful vintage in mind guaranteed to delight the palate. And what would you like to eat?"

I looked over at Adam. He nodded for me to go ahead and order whatever I wanted. "Sal, I'd like some angel hair pasta with your marinara sauce and a few meatballs. Some garlic bread would be great too."

Sal turned to Adam and Tammy. They liked what I ordered so they asked for the same. Sal returned in a few minutes with the grape juice and a large order of garlic bread. Ten minutes later he returned with three huge plates full of the pasta, sauce and meatballs.

There wasn't much conversation as we each devoured the pasta and meatballs. I managed to put away about half of the overloaded plate then stopped before I made myself sick. I did have a little room left for desert and ordered a slice of Sal's special dark chocolate devil's food cake with vanilla butter cream icing. The sweet treat lifted my sprits considerably as I savored every mouthful.

The last forkful of cake just filled me up completely. I pushed myself away from the table and motioned for Tammy to follow me to the lady's room.

"I'm stuffed! How about you, Jen? Are you feeling better now?"

"Yes, Tammy, quite a bit better in fact." I ducked into a stall to take care of business.

"Well, you sure look like you felt better. You're positively glowing, Jen."

I flushed the toilet after replacing the tampon and changed into another pair of clean panties from my purse. The old pair went into a zip-lock bag I carried with me in the purse. "I think I can get through tonight's show now, Tammy. Did they get the theater back to normal?"

"Well…"

"I don't like the sound of that, Tammy. Ok, girlfriend, spill it." I stepped out of the stall and washed my face and hands then began to re-apply my makeup.

"Well, you know about the sound system, right. They gave us the new mixer as a donation to the theater group."

"And…"

"They even fixed up some of the lighting stuff too. New filters and even a few new spotlights."

I looked over at Tammy fidgeting by the door as I finished putting on my lipstick. "Why do I get the feeling there's more you're not telling me? Like why were the TV production trucks still in the parking lot, Tammy?"

"Ok, you'll find out when we get back anyway. The production trucks stayed in the parking lot because the network wants to tape the next 4 plays as a possible TV special."

I shrugged. "So?"

Tammy's jaw dropped to her chest. "You mean that doesn't upset you?"

"Why should it? It's not like they can change the play any. We'll have to do it just like the previous performances. Yes, there may be minor differences in the lighting because of the TV cameras but other than that it won't change much."

"So you're okay with this?"

"Yup. Is the theater getting anything out of this? I hope that Greg at least got a nice donation beyond the equipment for the group."

"Oh, Greg is getting a bundle for the treasury. We shouldn't have to worry about funding for quite a while, Jen."

"Does the rest of the cast know yet?"

"No, Greg's telling them tonight. How do you think they'll take it?"

"Well, everyone's going to be excited about it, that's for sure. Does Adam know?"

"No, Greg only told me as I was getting my coat."

"Then let's not say anything about it. I'm sure it's probably better coming from Greg when everyone hears it, Tammy."

"It's your call, Jen." I followed Tammy back to the table and slid in beside Adam.

"Are we all set, Adam? I think we need to get back to the theater."

"All set. I even paid the bill."

"ADAM! I wanted to get that."

"TOUGH! It’s my treat so just stop complaining!" To show my appreciation I pulled Adam close and kissed him as hard as I could. We broke for air when Tammy tapped me on the shoulder.

"Come on you two, people are starting to stare."

"All right, Tammy. Let's go, Adam." I thanked Sal for his hospitality on the way out to the van. Twenty minutes later we were back in the parking lot at the theater and heading inside.

Nearly four hours remained until the start of the play so I took the opportunity to get another hour or two of rest.

The Weekend -

At this point, Dear Diary, I really wish I could write more details about the four shows but to tell the truth the rest of the weekend was as un-remarkable as the rest of the week was memorable.

When Greg told the cast about the taping and possible replay on the network they were really shocked. Most were delighted while a few were apprehensive about doing the four shows. Everything got worked out to the satisfaction of the entire cast and the four shows went without major problems. Somewhere in the hours and hours of tape was enough to put together one nearly flawless performance. We learned that a few of us would have to return for a few evenings to let the video crew tape segments with hand-held cameras on the stage for close-up shots they couldn't get during the normal run of the play. The network had agreed to hold any on-air showing of the play until well after the show closed at the theater.

The radio show on Saturday morning was swamped with calls again about "The Future is Now". The pressure was on more than ever for me to release something on CD for the listeners of the show. My email box got flooded with over twenty thousand requests for the song in just the space of the hour I spent on the air. It was looking more and more like I would have to get into a recording studio somewhere and create enough material to fill a CD for sale.

Of course, with my period well under way, I couldn't have as much fun with Adam as he or I would have preferred. We did spend two marvelous nights just kissing and cuddling together under the covers.

********************

Tuesday, January 14, 2003 in the Stevens Media Services office.

Barb looked up as the outside door opened. The smiling face of Rebecca Stewart poked around the doorjamb.

"Is she gone, Barb?"

"She's out at a remote this morning. " Barb pointed toward the television on the counter. It showed a picture of Jen and Ed at the waterfall in Chittenango with the word "Live" at the bottom.

"I didn't want to get her involved in this right now. She doesn't need to get worried over this."

"Why do I get the feeling the word 'yet' ought to be in there somewhere, Becky? Come on in and warm up while you tell me what the hell is going on."

Becky walked into the office then closed the door behind her. She put a folder on Barb's desk then took off her coat and draped it over the back of another chair. She sat down wearily in the chair next to Barb's desk then picked up the folder and spread a few pictures on the desktop.

"Take a look at these, Barb." Becky pointed to one picture in particular.

"OH MY GOD! That's Jen isn't it! How did you get these?"

"Some very costly surveillance and that's NOT your boss. I made sure of her location when these pictures were taken. She's in the clear. We don't know just quite who she is yet but we have some interesting leads."

"You're SURE this is isn't Jen? I could swear that…"

"Barb, she was in Orlando last week when these were taken. This is someone that looks a great deal like her, enough to pass as her with some makeup and maybe a wig."

"Who is she?"

"No idea yet as I said. We did manage to trace the plate number of the car she was driving. It was registered to a small storefront church and rescue mission on the city's south side. We're looking into the group. Not much to go on yet though."

"Anything else?"

"We figured out how they were getting the mail. Seems they have an inside contact at the bank's processing center. They were getting tipped off when the statement was mailed. That explained why we never saw her until the day the statement arrived. Apparently that's the only thing they're using that address for. Not even the homeowner is aware of what's going on. They're never home when she comes to pick through the mail looking for the bank statement. The bank's keeping an eye on the person but for the moment they're not doing anything at our request. They're interested in just what is going on too."

"How did you find out about that?"

"Can't tell you. I can say it came from a private contact though."

"I'll leave it at that, then. So where do we go from here?"

"We look into who the woman in those pictures is and we find out as much as we can about that church."

"All right then. Anything else, Becky?"

"Not about the case, Barb."

"What else is there?" Barb leaned back in her chair and looked at her friend.

"You, Barb, there's you. How are you doing?'

Barb stared at the desk for a few moments before looking at Becky again. "Fine, I'm fine, Becky." A tear rolled down Barb's cheek.

Becky reached out and caught the tear before it rolled off Barb's face. "Then how come you're doing this?" She held the single tear up in front of Barb.

"Must be my hormones need adjusting again, Becky." Barb took out a tissue and mopped her eyes then gently blew her nose.

"Somehow I don't think you're telling me the whole story now, Barb. Come on, spill it."

Barb looked sadly at Becky. "I'm scheduled for the final surgery in less than two weeks. I was just recalling what we had together that we'll never have again."

"The sex was great, wasn't it?" Becky smiled as the memories of the nights spent in passionate lovemaking with the man that Barb used to be came flooding back. "Umm… can you… um… do you want to…?"

"I can't Becky. What little is left down there doesn't work that way any more."

"Then it's really over between us isn't it?"

"Yes, Becky, it is. I know for a fact that you're not bi or gay so there's nothing we can do about it is there?"

Becky stared at the floor. "No, there isn't." She leaned over and hugged Barb tightly. "I do want us to stay friends though if that's all right with you."

Barb's face brightened considerably as she returned the hug. "I'd like that, Becky, I really would." They sat hugging each other as the tears flowed for several minutes.

Becky was the one that broke the hug. "I guess I'd better get going, Barb. I doubt that you want to go into all of this with your boss at the moment, right?"

Barb nodded in agreement. "She's got enough other things to worry about this week, Becky. She doesn't need to deal with this yet."

"I'll call you with any updates, Barb. Let me know when you're ready for visitors in the hospital. I'd like to come see you, okay?"

"I will, Becky. Thanks for staying my friend. I really need some right now."

"We go to far back and we've been through too much together for me to do anything else, Barb. I'll always be your friend no matter what happens." Becky hugged Barb tightly after she put her coat back on. "Gotta go, lots of things to do on this case and your boss might be back in just a little while."

Barb watched as Becky left closing the office door behind her. Another tear slowly rolled down her cheek as she placed her head in her hands and cried softly to herself.

To be continued in Zapped Chapter 15.

up
143 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A rollercoaster, water slide, demo derby, high-wire act chapter

This is Jen Stevens at her best, the alternately wacky, rock-steady, self doubting, self confident center of the whirlwind.

Her love and care for other's feelings come through as do bits of the man she once was. Nice to see she realizes Bob is as much a part of Jen as is the sexy, loving young woman. It is his memories, his attitude towards hard work, his honesty and his determination that help Jen succeed when the shi* hits the fan. Maybe she, the beautiful, sexy, talented, loving woman was always there inside Bob waiting to come out but now that she has *arrived* he is not gone, just recycled and repackaged in a shiny new *container*. We readers are richer for it.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa