The Voyage of the Visund -72-

Printer-friendly version

In the center of Pakmal city Eriana thinks she is talking to someone who can get her an audience with the Arch-Count. The reality is somewhat different, however, and it becomes necessary for the company to make a hasty yet un-noticed departure from the capital. Ursula has a suggestion for the Kittrin.

grakh on parchment

The Voyage of the Visund

A tale of Anmar by Penny Lane

72 - Prudent Choices


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2023 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



Ursula frowned. "Kittrin? I do not know that name."

"My people are far away, on islands the other side of this great land. It is no surprise that you have never heard of us." The bitterness returned. "None of these people have, nor have they seen anyone so dark before. That is why -"

She held up a hand to forestall the explanation. "Later, please. I need to deal with your injuries before we are interrupted, possibly by people who would want to throw us out. Tell me, do you know if you have anything more serious than cuts and bruises? Have you any broken bones, for example? Ribs? Arm? Any headaches?"

"I do not think so, Mistress. The stones mostly hit me from behind, you understand." The face showed annoyance. "I do not care to turn away from trouble but sometimes it is necessary."

"Okay. Let me clean up what I can. White bandages will make you stand out more than you already do, so I'll just put some ointment on any bleeding to slow it down until we can get you somewhere safe."

He cocked his head. "Why would you do that for a complete stranger, Mistress? Why should I trust you and these odd men? Come to think of it, I have never seen anyone in these lands with hair so red before."

She dabbed at his cuts with the cloth, which made him wince as the alcohol stung, but there was no further objection. The ointment, she knew, had herbs in it which would promote clotting, since it was developed for battlefield use. If this was not quite a field of battle, then it was near enough.

"These people found me on a tiny island in the river," she told him quietly. "They are all strangers to this region as well. I was alone and I knew nothing of these lands... this world. I owe them my life and I try to repay them by doing the same to others along the way. Besides, we will not throw stones at you, we are much more sensible than that. You need a way out of this mess and we can provide that."

"At what cost? Do you wish to bind me to your service?"

"We do not work that way, though I know that some of the rulers along the Sirrel might demand that of you. Princess Eriana -"

"- She is a real Princess?"

"Yes, though her story, like mine, is complicated. She will not demand you do anything in return, I know that, but you may consider her worth serving. If you wanted to do so in future I do not think she would object, but it would be your choice, not hers. It is too soon to think of such things now, we have to get everybody out of here alive and back to the ship."

Ursula asked him to stand so that she could inspect his back, finding several cuts through tears in his tunic. Once she had seen to them, she asked as he sat down again, "Can you use that katana?"

The question disturbed him. "For a complete stranger you know too much about my people! Explain yourself."

"I know absolutely nothing about you or your people. My knowledge is of the people... who you once were, on another world."

His jaw dropped and he stared at Ursula. "That is impossible," he said flatly.

"Leave this for now. What I need to know is, if it comes to a proper fight, can you defend yourself with that?" She pointed to the sword.

"I can, but I would hesitate to do so because it would mean my certain death. There are, what, ten of you? And five are women! What can eleven do against a whole city? I have been imprisoned before, I will bear it again until they throw me out once more."

"Eriana is a real Princess, she is an envoy and therefore has diplomatic immunity in theory. If they try much against us it will cause such an uproar they will suddenly find themselves at war against most of the Sirrel countries. If they detain, or worse, kill her, then the men on her ship will burn this city to the ground to find her."

The look he gave her was sceptical. "You want me to believe that?"

"Did you see the sword she had on her back? She knows how to use it in battle, in fact she did so less than a week ago. I was there, I watched her. And her men are brought up with weapons in their hands."

"Hmph. Maybe." But she could see him relax a little. "Very well. If you offer me a way out then I should take it or seem foolish. How will you -"

"Mistress, someone comes."

Eriana came back leading her party, her face impassive.

"Given my rank," she announced, "Count Korboro says that he will arrange for me to meet Arch-Count Tofero tomorrow or the following day. No more needs to be said - here. How is the man we rescued, Ursula?"

"No serious injuries, Highness. I have patched him up for now but without using bandages which would mark him out. What are your plans?"

"For now, we should return to the hostel. There I will consider what we must needs do next." She turned to the newcomer. "If I may know your name?"

He stood and made a stiff bow. "Highness, I am named Dithereen Matsuk Hakatoshi but in all these lands I am known as just Tosh or Toshi. Your healer has asked me if I would use my sword when we leave and I have agreed, though how we are to get away I do not know. She has explained certain things but there is much that puzzles me."

Eriana gave him the ghost of a smile. "Master Tosh, there is much in this business that puzzles me too. Let any further talk wait until we are somewhere safer."

"Highness," Tyra gave a warning.

The Princess turned to see two men approaching. One was the hall servant and the other a thick-set man of middle age who, despite his bulk, still appeared to be reasonably fit. His face showed a smile as he approached but the smile disappeared when he saw the stranger.

"What is he doing here? What is he to you?"

"We saved him from certain death in the market place outside, My Lord," Eriana replied. "He was being chased by a mob with stones, we have never met him before. My healer has given him first aid, as is appropriate. From what we have been told he has broken no law."

Korboro's face now showed disgust. "You should have let them do as they wish, Highness. He is a wanderer of no account, we do not want his kind here in Pakmal."

Eriana held up both hands to try and defuse the situation. "My Lord! We do not intend to remain in Pakmal long ourselves, we will provide transport for him to some other land. That way he will no longer trouble you or Pakmal."

Korboro considered for a moment and then gave a nod. "Acceptable, Highness, but you must keep him on your ship while you yet remain in our waters. I could not guarantee his safety otherwise."

Eriana also considered this response carefully and then asked, "My Lord, we have yet to get him to our ship. If I may ask you for... two carriages, I deem, to take us safely there."

"How much shall you pay for the carriages, Highness?" Korboro asked softly. His expression was now hidden, but there was something in his eyes.

Eriana reached over her shoulder and drew her sword, which was the automatic signal for everyone else to draw theirs. She swung the point towards Korboro's chest.

"My Lord, I tire of this sordid game. You shall provide me and my party with two carriages, they may be pulled by frayen or by dranakh, with competent drivers, who will convey us to the port near where our ship is berthed. You shall travel with us to the port as surety for your own actions. If you do this then I may let you live. Your carriages can return you back here.

"The alternative? Why, we kill everyone in this building and burn it to the ground. Did you think me to be but a young woman who could be led around as you desired? I assure you, I know your ilk, such worms as you infest my father's court, which is one reason I determined to leave. Asking geld to see the Arch-Count? I would have paid a reasonable access fee but you saw before you a Princess you thought you could drain freely. My Lord, by your own actions you bring shame to Pakmal."

"You would not dare!"

"Foolish little man. I do not dare anything, I tell you what is to be. Choose, My Lord."

"If you kill me it would mean war!" he blustered.

"It would not, My Lord. My guess is that many of your fellows would publicly regret your passing but be relieved that they no longer have you to deal with. However, if they were so stupid as to declare war, it is not only Palarand they would be at war with. My King values me greatly but so do many others. Did you not understand my description of the Federation? You would be at war with Vardenale, Palarand, Brugan, Smordan, Joth, Forguland, Ferenis, Upper Fanir and Faralmark. All these lands are already members of the Sirrel Federation. I am well-known to the rulers in all of these lands, if anything should happen to me, retribution will be swift indeed."

Korboro sagged a little. "As you wish, Highness. This is too much trouble over the fate of a mere vagabond. Laran, go and ask the stables for two carriages and frayen as Her Highness requested."

The man bowed. "As you command, My Lord."

"Kalmenar, go with him, make sure that the stable provides what is asked for and nothing more."

"Highness." Kalmenar sheathed his sword, took Laran by the arm and headed off towards the rear of the building.

"You do not trust me to command such a thing?"

"My Lord, I would not trust you so far as I could throw your body."

While they waited he asked, "If you despise those of Pakmal so much, why did you come here?"

"I do not despise those of Pakmal, not all of them. I came here at the command of my King, to deliver messages to the ruler of these lands. Now it appears I cannot do my duty and he shall learn the reason why. There are some few of Pakmal who show honesty and sense, I deem. Have you heard of Field-Director Botanno?"

Korboro swallowed and tried to control his expression. "You have met him? I thought he was sent to Yod."

"And so he was, My Lord. We met him at Wadek following a fight with a pirate galley in the river. He was most helpful - and he knew who I was and why I was traveling the river, which it seems you do not."

"Ah, is that so? Yodans have always been a problem to Pakmal, which is why we must needs send our best men and troops there."

"To keep them out of the way, you mean, and prevent them interrupting your cosy existence."

Korboro could think of no response to that. Everybody stood around in silence until Kalmenar and Laran returned.

"There is a carriage, Highness," Kalmenar reported, "which is the one which brought Count Korboro here. I regret it would not be big enough to take all of us unless many sat on the top, which would of course attract unwanted attention. However, there is also a wagon and dranakh which arrived about half a bell ago bringing supplies for the mansion. We can use that, it may help to avoid that attention. Both carriage and wagon should be ready for us shortly. There was no trouble."

"They did not question your presence?"

Kalmenar smiled. "Highness, I explained that the carriage was to convey a Princess who was somewhat demanding. I was there to make sure that the vehicle was of sufficient quality and would satisfy her."

She briefly grinned at him. "All perfectly true, My Lord." She turned to Ragnar. «If you would open the front door a trifle and see if there should be trouble waiting outside.»

He did as requested, having a quick look around the market square, before closing it again.

«Yah, Highness. Nothing obvious, but two men idling near the closest stall, two more to the left, a small group against the buildings to the right.»

She told the others, "There are men in the marketplace watching for when our dark friend emerges again. My Lord, it would be better if we were to leave by the stable entrance. That way any watchers there will be less able to see who might be in the carriage and wagon."

"I would have suggested that anyway," came the grumpy reply. "There are often times when I have to depart without being noticed."

The group turned to go to the rear of the building but Laran spoke. "Master, there is something I must give you before you leave."

Korboro turned. "Hmm? What is that?"

Laran opened a door leading into one of the rooms that faced the front of the building. "In here, Master. It will take only a moment."

Fearing a trap the others crowded around the door as Laran led Korboro into the room. The servant went to a sideboard near the door, pulled open a drawer and took out a needle-pointed dagger. Before Eriana could make the obvious objection Laran had rammed the dagger straight into his master's chest. Korboro staggered back and fell to the floor in a sitting position, staring at the hilt of the dagger sticking out of his chest.

"I have wanted to do that for many, many years, master, but could not because I knew it would mean my certain death," Laran explained to Korboro's horrified expression. "The noble lady is right, Pakmal will be better off without such as you."

Korboro collapsed backwards, dead. Laran turned to Eriana. "Noble Lady, I will tell them that the black man killed my master, that way I should not be blamed. His sons are better men than him but if not then they will let me depart since I am known to be," his face twisted, "loyal to their father."

Eriana was stunned by the sudden change in events. "You would blame the stranger? A man who has done nothing?"

Laran shrugged. "He was about to depart Pakmal in any event, Noble Lady. When you go I will come with you, which means that the alarm will only be raised once the carriage returns here. I give you my oath."

She thought furiously. "Done, though it means I will not now be able to speak to the Arch-Count."

Laran shook his head. "From words spoken to me after you left him earlier it is my belief that my master never intended that you should, Noble Lady. He is... was a wicked man. As you thought, he believed you a weak, easily fooled young woman despite that sword you wear. He intended to double-cross you for his own benefit. If I may, I must now close and lock this door against accidental discovery."

The shocked party backed away from the door into the hallway and watched Laran take the key and lock the door.

"This way, Noble Lady."

"Wait! What about others in this building?"

"There are kitchen staff, it is true, but they remain in quarters below this level," came the reply. "Those who clean this building do not reside here but attend their tasks and then depart long before he arrives each day."

"What about his family? You mentioned sons."

"Ah, Noble Lady, this place is where he does his work, not where he resides." The face twisted again. "He does not care to let the two sides of his person discover each other. His estate, where his family resides, is some twelve marks from the edge of the city. I do not think that either of his sons have yet entered this building despite their ages."

"No armsmen? Bodyguards?"

"Aye, four such accompanied him here from his estate, but since no-one would dare attack him they customarily sit in a tavern in the marketplace until he needs them for the journey home."

"Will they have taken note of our arrival and the fuss?"

Laran shook his head. "No, Noble Lady. The tavern is the far side of the market and they have... other distractions... to keep them occupied. I am usually sent to fetch them when it is time."

Eriana was still cautious. "Very well. Lead the way but do not be surprised should I or my men take action if our progress be interrupted."

"Noble Lady, I would expect nothing else."

"And it helps your tale that we helped kill your employer, I deem."

Laran inclined his head. "Noble Lady, you have the right of it. This way."

They followed Laran to the back of the huilding, down some steps and through a side passage to an enclosed yard. This apparently served all the buildings on this side of the square and had an exit to the rear, to another street. A carriage and four frayen stood waiting beside a wagon and dranakh. There were two drivers talking to two men who stood holding the reins of the front frayen.

Ursula saw an opportunity and gently grabbed the Kittrin by the sleeve. "Stay behind us," she murmured low. "We'll likely be going in that wagon and we might be able to get you in there without them noticing you."

"Good thought, Mistress."

"You are not the only wanderer in this group, you should know. I have done such things before."

Eriana made some decisions. "Bennet, Semma, you are with me in the carriage. It would be prudent if our uniforms were not so visible on the way back, I deem. Master Laran, you must needs ride with me also. I want Torvin up top beside our driver and Ragnar with the wagoneer. Ursula, you will take the rest in the wagon, disposed as you see fit."

"As you wish, Highness."

Eriana saw the odd person in their party and frowned. "Master Osar, what is your part in this? It was you who led us to Korboro, are you one of his creatures?"

Osar bowed low and protested, "Your Highness, I am not! I knew only that Count Korboro was of sufficient rank to arrange for you to visit the Arch-Count. My business is the waterways of Pakmal and I try to stay away from folk like him. I did not know what Count Korboro was involved in and still do not."

Eriana stared at him a long time before nodding. "Very well. You shall travel with us back to... District nine, was it?"

"As you say, Highness."

"We shall have further words when we arrive there, but do not imagine that we have ill intent towards you, unless you do something stupid."

Osar swallowed. "As you command, Your Highness."

Ursula asked, "Highness? I have been thinking. Can I have a private word?"

"Now, Ursula? The men are waiting."

The group of men were sizing up their passengers, interested by the bright Palarand uniforms on the women, but none made any motion towards them. Ursula and Eriana stepped to one side, away from their group.

"I have had an idea," Ursula said. "I noticed that you carefully made no mention of the Green Ptuvil when we were inside."

"Aye. Why tell them everything? They do not tell me their business, after all. I realized that we parted when the Green Ptuvil berthed and different officials met us where the Visund berthed. They do not know the two are together. What think you?"

"You want to get the Kittrin to the barge, don't you? Why don't I take the wagon to the Green Ptuvil while you return to the Visund? That way he'll be safe and both vessels will be alerted at once."

"A good thought, but do you know where the Green Ptuvil is berthed?"

"I do not, Highness, but Osar probably does. Do you remember the flag combination for that stretch?"

"Aye, green over red over blue. If Osar were to travel with you he would be able to direct you." Eriana considered. "Done, Ursula. There is a problem, however. The Green Ptuvil berths on the other side of the channel. Now we must needs think up some story why we must needs go in two different directions."

"We had to leave some men there when we first arrived... no, that wouldn't explain why we want to take the wagon there."

"But the Visund may have ordered supplies there, before we knew that we must needs travel further in to berth. Aye, that will do." She looked around. "Master Osar, if you would join us."

The port official joined them looking puzzled and somewhat apprehensive.

"Ursula has just reminded me that, when we arrived, we berthed much further along the canal, not knowing how far we must needs travel to come to the city. While we were yet there we ordered supplies, to be delivered later today. She suggests that it would be to our advantage to make the wagon go there first, to obtain the supplies, and then we will pick up people and supplies as we pass by in our ship. Do you see any problem with that idea?"

"I did not realize that, Your Highness. I do not think that any regulations would be broken should you choose to do that. You wish me to show the wagoneer the way?"

"As you say, Master Osar."

"I wonder if you can remember the district where you first berthed, then."

"The flags were green over red over blue, as I recall."

"Ah, the sixteenth district, but that is on the other side of the channel. Odd numbers this side, even numbers the other side. It can be done, of course, but the wagon will have to go through the city and over one of the bridges."

"You will speak to your wagoneer?"

"Of course, Your Highness. He will know the different port districts, I have no doubt."

"Tell him there will be coin for him for the extra work."

"Naturally, Your Highness. This is Pakmal, after all." He added, apologetically, "Coin will also be required for the bridge crossing, Your Highness."

Eriana scowled. "This land begins to irritate me, I deem. Very well. Will they accept coin of Upper Fanir? We have just come from Faralan."

"They will, Your Highness, since we do much trade with that land."

Eriana opened her pouch, pulled out the smaller coin pouch and handed it to Ursula. "Mistress Ursula will be in charge of the wagon and those who ride in it. Enough. We are making Laran nervous. Let us board these vehicles and depart before something unwanted should occur."

Ursula thought that they had managed to get the Kittrin into the wagon without his distinguishing features being recognized. She made him sit at the front, facing back, so that the wagoneer could only see the turban-like arrangement wrapping his head when he turned. She sat to one side of him and Osar stood the other, talking to the wagoneer. The others found places on the empty floor of the wagon.

After some discussion, and coin changing hands, the wagon jolted into action and they were off. The rear flap had been pulled down and roughly secured from the inside but it would not prevent someone determined from climbing up and looking inside. There were a number of sharp turns and then they were out onto the street.

There was a discussion when they reached the bridge, but Osar talked to the toll man and they passed over, rumbling over a creaking wooden construction. Once over they turned again and the journey settled into a steady rhythm. It was a fair distance and Ursula soon began to wish for a drink.

But I had better not take any! What goes in must come out again! We shall just have to endure it until we reach the pontoons and the Green Ptuvil.

What do I do with the driver when he realizes he has been duped? If either he or Osar learns about the Green Ptuvil we will lose any advantage.

"Adin? Can I have a word?"

"Surely, Mistress."

There was a low-voiced discussion about supplies.

Finally the wagon reached Port District Sixteen and began to travel along the access road along the top of the bank. The wagoneer halted and turned.

"Mistress, I need to know where you ordered your goods."

"Adin?"

Adin, being short, could not see out of the front of the wagon. It appeared safe enough now, so the back flap was loosened and he climbed out, walking along to the front.

"I am not sure. Further along, I think."

He climbed up and sat beside the wagoneer. The deception now relied on Adin spotting a suitable establishment to obtain some last-minute supplies. They traveled along another block.

"There?" Adin scratched his head. "We were not here long. Mistress?"

Ursula had been keeping an eye open on the other side for the barge. "I think that was the one, Adin. You should go inside and check."

Adin climbed down and disappeared inside the large wooden building. He reappeared shortly shaking his head.

"Not that one, Mistress. Further along."

In the next business selling victuals Ursula climbed out and went in with Adin. The proprietor said yes, he could supply two sacks of flour and two barrels of water, did they need anything else? After some haggling other supplies were added to the order and the warehouse staff began bringing them out to the wagon. When they had finished Ursula paid the bill and climbed into the now cramped back again. She stood behind the wagoneer.

"If you would travel along a little way, we can find a spot where the ship can berth," she explained. "It is rather large, it can take up a lot of space."

"As you wish, Mistress. I can see a spot over there," he pointed, "would that be big enough?"

"No, we need somewhere a little larger than that. Can you try a little further along, please?"

"Do you tell me? I will be interested to see such a large ship that can travel the channel with the water so low."

"It is an unusual design, not normally seen in these waters. There!" She spotted the distinctive outline of the Green Ptuvil and the large space beyond it. "That will do just right. If you could pull up near the next gangway so that we can unload."

"As you wish, Mistress."

When the wagon pulled up Ursula climbed out and casually stretched, looking around her as she did so, an understandable action if one had arrived in the back of a covered wagon. The area was busy, but not particularly so, there was road traffic, people loading and unloading, others idling outside one of the nearby taverns, but all intent on their own business. Satisfied that nobody was taking an interest in yet another wagon delivering to a water craft, she headed down the gangway to the pontoon string. She made for the Green Ptuvil and Baros jumped off to greet her.

"Mistress! I am most surprised to see you here, I thought you would now be relaxing in your hostel."

"Everything has gone wrong, Baros, but don't change your expression. People are watching. As far as they are concerned, we don't know one another and I'm just checking that this berth," she gestured, "will be available for the Visund when it comes back."

"I understand, Mistress. Traffic has been light here since the ship went on," he said, "I do not think that spot will be used again today. Do you tell me that the Visund is coming back? What has happened?"

"The man we went to see turned out to be a criminal who tried to con Eriana - Her Highness - out of all her coin. She saw through it and we were about to leave when his manservant murdered him in front of us - blaming one of our party for the deed. So we are making a swift departure from Pakmal before the mob finds us."

"Maker! I am not sure I desired so much excitement when I agreed to join the company!"

"Neither did I! But that is normal life in Pakmal, it seems. Now the wagoneer up there and the port official who went with us to see this crime lord do not know that the Green Ptuvil has anything to do with the Visund, and we'd like to keep it that way. But we bought some supplies on the way here and the barge has some men who could help us move them down to the pontoons, ready for when the ship appears."

Baros nodded. "We can do that. Should we be thinking of departing as well? Fortunately, since we have the women on board, we decided not to investigate the nearby hostels, even though that port official wanted us to."

"If it is not too much trouble. The two port officials for this district know the two craft came together, so somebody is going to work out the connection eventually."

"As you say." Baros became businesslike. "I'll get some men to help you shift the goods down here. What about people? Who is up there with you?"

"Tyra, Kalmenar, Ragnar, Adin, Osar, who is the port official for the Visund's berth, and who is probably tainted with the murder as well... oh, and a traveling warrior we bumped into in the marketplace. He was being chased by a mob throwing stones."

Baros shook his head with bemusement. "This voyage becomes stranger and stranger! I assume he will be coming with us?"

"He has to, because of the mob. He is a Kittrin, does that mean anything to you?"

"Kittrins? I have seen them around but so far have had nothing to do with any of them. Do you trust him, Mistress?"

"We are saving his life, that should help the trust. Because of his skin color and his injuries he'll have to travel on the barge until we get out of Pakmal."

"I see. That raises another question, where are we going next? Zebrin?"

"I would guess so, Baros. It is close enough that Her Highness would want to call there anyway."

He nodded. "If we are separated we'll meet you there, then. Right, I'll get my boys up the bank."

"One moment! We have to somehow get the Kittrin down to the barge without the wagoneer finding out he traveled with us. I wonder... Would your men be averse to coming up with something wound around their heads? I don't know, maybe a sash or something similar. It doesn't have to look too tidy."

Baros looked at her oddly. "Mistress, is this some scheme alike that when you brought those two Yodans aboard?"

She grinned. "Yes, Baros, exactly alike! The idea is that, in the confusion of men going back and fore carrying goods, an extra one won't be noticed."

He smiled. "It is not something that a law-abiding bargeman like myself would normally get involved with, Mistress, but there have been one or two times... leave it with me, Mistress. After all, those above know not who we are or where we came from, do they?"

"I see what you mean, Baros. I'll leave the details to you, then."

She walked back up the gangway and stopped at the front of the wagon, looking up at the wagoneer.

"The owner of that barge says that, as far as he knows, no-one is using that berth and that it should be free for our ship to call there for a brief while to pick up the supplies. Ah, about that, he offers some of his men to help unload the goods and take them down to the pontoon. That way, you'll be able to leave sooner and the goods can be carried aboard our ship quicker when it arrives."

"Very good, Mistress. Do you require my help at all?"

"I do not think so. Between his men and ours we should manage." She fumbled at her pouch and produced some coins. "Why don't you go and get yourself a drink in that tavern while you wait for us to unload? It is getting late but it is still warm."

The wagoneer climbed down and took the coins. "Why thank'ee kindly, Mistress. By your leave, I'll get some water for the beast first."

With trousers borrowed from the few Norse on board and sashes wound around their heads like careless turbans, Baros led two of the bargemen, Temmar and Vitrak, up the gangway and around to the rear of the wagon. When Baros looked inside he drew breath.

"Mistress, why have you bought so much? These barrels will be too heavy for my men to take down the gangway, they are not yet fit enough."

In a low voice she replied, "It is a long story and complicated, just like much of what has happened today. Between all of you you should manage. Remember, these are just to be left on the pontoon for now, not loaded on the barge."

He nodded. "As you say, Mistress. We shall manage, I doubt not. My Lord, will you help us?"

Kalmenar nodded. "Of course. Tell me what I must needs do."

While the supplies were being removed from the wagon and stacked in the roadway Ursula climbed in and went to the Kittrin, checking that the wagoneer was not close enough to overhear.

"I must ask you to trust me completely, now. To get you down to the barge below you will have to pretend to be one of the barge crew, sent up here to help unload. They have changed clothing to look foreign, probably not as much as you but not local, at any rate."

He nodded. "Of course, Mistress. But what is there to trust?"

"You can't carry anything with that sword sticking out of your sash like that. Bargemen don't usually wear swords and when they do they wear them the way Lord Kalmenar has his, from a belt. I want you to give your sword to Tyra. She will wear it down to the barge and you can reclaim it there."

He stared impassively at Ursula for a while until the sounds of the wagoneer coming back forced him to make a decision.

"Hai. I will do it, though it leaves me feeling naked. I have already trusted you to get me out of the city, after all."

He reverently pulled out the sword and handed it to Tyra. "Treat it well. It is a family treasure."

"Tyra, push that through your sash the way he had it and then do the same with your own sword," Ursula instructed. "Then climb out of the wagon and amble down to the pontoon in between some of the men. Wait down there for now."

Tyra nodded. "Mistress." She did as instructed and then climbed out of the wagon.

"Tosh, can you carry one of those sacks? They are quite heavy."

"I can, Mistress. Should I go now?" He made to climb out of the wagon.

She caught his sleeve. "Wait until the men return, I think. Let them get the water barrels down first."

After an agonizing wait for the bargemen to return, the Kittrin climbed out and hefted a sack of grain onto his shoulder. Baros led the way down with another sack while Vitrak stayed above to keep the numbers straight. Once they had put down their loads on the pontoon Baros led the Kittrin into the rear cabin of the Green Ptuvil and told him to stay put.

Once the bargemen came back they finished moving the supplies fairly quickly. The others climbed out and stood at the rear of the wagon where the wagoneer found them.

"Ah, good," Ursula told him. "We have completed unloading, you have done your part. How much do we owe you?"

In the victuals supply warehouse Ursula had taken the opportunity to change some coin so she was able to give him local money plus a good tip.

He touched his forehead. "Thank'ee, Mistress. This has been a strange job but I doubt not you know what you are doing. Luck on your journey, Mistress. Good-bye to you all."

He strode off with a nod and mounted the wagon. It moved off, turned around further along the road and passed by on the way back into the city. By that time the passengers had all trooped down to the pontoon.

"We're all coming with you this time," Ursula told Baros. "Is that going to be a problem?"

He did a quick head count. "Not at all, Mistress, though some of you will have no attire to change into, I deem. Do we take these supplies as well?"

"If you have room for them, otherwise we'll have to abandon them if the Visund cannot pause to collect them."

"As you say. We should manage. What about your black friend?"

"He needs minor medical attention I could not give him in the city. Where is the best place to do that?"

"The rear cabin is good enough. There should be room in the front cabin for him to sleep."

"Good. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have another more delicate job to do."

She moved to the other side of the small group on the pontoon and found Osar. He stared at Ursula with some concern.

"Mistress, it is clear to me that you are more than just a healer in this business and that you people also know this barge and the folk on it. I fear this is information that you do not desire to be well known."

"If you are concerned that we would cut your throat to preserve our secrets, Master Osar, then be assured that we would not do that, not unless you tried to raise the alarm. We are not Pakmals and we do not behave the way they do. At worst we would take you with us and put you ashore at the mouth of the canal. I see however that you are undecided about your own actions."

"Mistress, you have the right of it. I was a fool to take you to Korboro, I did not know what manner of man he was. It occurs to me that I may be in as much danger from his fellows as I could be from you and your people."

"Which is what I thought. Tell me, have you a family? Wife? Children?"

"Aye to both, Mistress. What is your thought?"

"That you might choose to seek a new life in, say, Zebrin. Can you get a message to your family to join you there? Would anyone try to stop them if they attempted to leave?"

"No to both, Mistress. Zebrin... It will be difficult, at first, since I must needs abandon my post here to move there, but it can be done. We both have family, wider family, and it will be a wrench to go, but at least I will still be alive and have my wife and children."

She cautioned, "I suspect that the Pakmal criminal world will have contacts in Zebrin because it is so close. It might be better to go somewhere else, but I personally cannot offer you transport much further. You do need to get out of Pakmal as soon as possible."

"Then, Mistress, if you will have me I will come with you to Zebrin. I must needs find some way to tell my wife what has happened."

Ursula realized then that, while Osar could likely read because of his job, it was doubtful that any of his family could.

"We will manage, we always do. I suggest that you take that sash off, if you are running away from your job. Do any of the Port staff over here know you?"

"Very slightly, Mistress." He gave a short nod. "I must needs go below and stay there. Ah, this is a most unusual barge, I deem. Where should I go?"

"For now, go down the front companionway. That is where the men have their bunks."

"As you wish, Mistress."

* * *

"You have a lot of scars from past battles, I can see. Your skin shows up scars much easier than ours does," she remarked. "That is one disadvantage of a dark skin."

"Not you as well," he growled. "I thought that you did not have an opinion about my color. It seems I was wrong."

"Easy, now. I am a healer, I am used to handling skin of many different shades. The advantage of a dark skin is that you do not burn so easily in the sun."

"My apologies, Mistress." He turned and gave her a thin smile. "I have heard it said that I have a thin skin, but perhaps you can understand why."

"Accepted, Tosh. I do understand. I have suffered a little myself in the past because of my eyes," she told him. "They are not common where I come from."

He sat down, pulling his tunic on before saying, "And where might that be, Mistress? Your eyes are not round like most of those who live along this river."

She considered her words carefully before saying, "I imagine that your people have stories, legends, sagas about the time before your people came to Anmar."

He was completely still now, except for the hand that reached out and clasped his sword.

"What do you know of that? Are you a scholar of my people? Are your people nearby, that you have eyes like that?"

She ignored the questions. "Was your land named Japan, perhaps?"

He gave her a blank look but the concern was still there.

"No? Then what about... Nippon? Does that name sound familiar?"

"Sss! What do you know of Nippon?"

"My father was born well to the west of Nippon but my mother came from a land much closer to there. That is why I have eyes like this."

"But... Nippon is a memory! A fabulous land from the past! It does not exist any longer!"

"Tosh, before I was found on an island in the Sirrel I lived on a different world, the same world that your people came from many years ago. If you do not know the name Japan it must be many centuries. Nippon still exists there. It is a major nation in that world."

He gaped at her. "But that is impossible! There is only Anmar, so we are taught."

"And you believed everything you were taught?"

"If the scholars tell us then it must be so... must it not? But in my travels I have already learned that the scholars are not always right. Can you prove what you say?"

"Not today, not easily. It requires people that are on our ship, the Visund, and they will not want to stop today to discuss this. As much as I want to explain to you, it will have to wait until we reach Zebrin."

He gently put the sword down. "If it must be. But I reserve the right to leave your company at Zebrin if I think you are telling tales fit only for children."

"If you wish. But I can tell you that Her Highness could have need for a warrior like you, should you decide to stay. I imagine that your sword skills are different than her people practise and they will be interested to see what you can do."

"Oh? What can she offer me?"

"Same as the rest of us. A place on this barge or the ship, all the food and drink you desire and accommodation wherever we stop. We are exploring the river and will eventually turn and make our way back downstream to where the voyage started. Your expertise and experience could be very useful to us."

"Downstream was where I was headed, Mistress. It is said there is a land at the end of the river where marvellous toys may be found. Is this so?"

"They are not toys, no, but some of what I have already seen is definitely marvellous. That land is where this ship, Her Highness and almost all her men now call home."

He interrupted her. "Now call home? Explain."

"That is a long story, Tosh. Her Highness and all her men come from a distant land which borders the eastern ocean, the Shan. Her people were brought to Anmar over a thousand years ago, they are called Norsemen and their land Einnland. It may be a thousand marks or so beyond the mouth of the Sirrel. Now they call Palarand home, but for the present she has decided to explore along the Sirrel. They have picked up a number of others along the way, myself included, but I'm betting that all of us will come to Palarand at the end of the voyage."

"Palarand! That was the name. Mistress, you dangle an impossible bait in front of me."

"Wait until Zebrin and all your questions will be answered. I swear it."

"Done."

* * *

Everything had been tidied away and bunks allocated. None of those who had boarded was now on deck. The Green Ptuvil sat quietly, awaiting the order to release the mooring ropes. In the rear cabin Ursula worried.

"Where are they? What could be keeping them?"

"Mistress, you said that the Admiral had found a hostel to take you all. Surely they must needs spend some time bringing all your gear back down to the ship, and without you there to help them pack it."

She sighed. "You are right, Baros, but all the time they take doing that is time in which they could be discovered. I would like us to depart now, since it will be slower going for us, but if we do that... the Admiral... may not know what has happened when they do get here."

Temmar, one of the former hostages, came into the cabin from the deck. "Captain, the ship comes."

Baros turned. "Thank you, Temmar. Get Omar and be ready to cast off. We'll be poling so we'll set off after the Visund passes."

"Aye, Captain... but the breeze has freshened and it will be in our favor."

"Do you tell me?" Baros stood up. "I had better go and see if we will be able to put the sail up."

The Visund did not have its sail up but everyone who could was at an oar. It came at them at a good pace, throwing a wash against the banks. When the Green Ptuvil was sighted a whistle sounded and the oars were raised, allowing the ship to slow as it passed. Eriana stood on the bow.

"Everything fine? All aboard?"

"All is well," Baros shouted back. "We'll be right behind you."

"See you in Zebrin," came the call as the Norse longship slid past and the oars were lowered once more.

up
154 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

So Ursula has found a Ronin…….

D. Eden's picture

Or at least a Samurai. And her knowledge and past once again come in handy. Eriana has found herself a very good mate and second in command.

So we depart for hopefully friendlier lands with yet several more travelers added to our intrepid little band.

Can’t wait to see what happens next!

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Oligarchs

It seems Oligarchs rule Pakmal, they could be as problematic in the future as Yod was

Blood Thirsty Pirates

BarbieLee's picture

Pirates don't all live on ships. The ones of Pakmal are every where. It seems Ursula has become Eriana's trusted adviser. Problems shared are problems halved. Next time Eriana returns she will have several ships loaded with Paraland Marines. Her ships will be powered by steam not sails and oars. Pakmal is in for a very enlightening experience as Gara and Milsy bring the twentieth century to Paraland.

This was a fast moving chapter as our intrepid explorers fled before the whole township turned against them in mob violence.
Excellent Ms. Lane
Barb
Life's hardships are there not to break us but for experience and to make us stronger.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

I suspect early on, it'd be a

I suspect early on, it'd be a lot of steam-sail mix, both fleet wise and the individual ships, early steamers mostly used engines in combat and in port, still there's going to bellcasters in Paraland learning to cast cannon.

They really have gone a Viking

In this story, collecting people instead of loot. I suspect they will be back to deal with the local population when it is convenient.

"See you in Zebrin,"

seems they were able to get out without a fight, which is good. but this place needs someone who can overcome the corruption

DogSig.png

corruption

It seems Pakmal's corruption is very heavily entrenched, look at the description of their canals, combined with the Arc-Count being described in other stories as being extremely indecisive, there's a lot of ways it could either remain Status Quo or get worse with any upheaval, many of those ways having been experienced by Russia. The best case is that when the ruler dies, his wife (from another country) takes over and starts making reforms (Cathryn the Great) but making sure those reforms stick, and don't just lead to things going out of control once someone else is in charge is the real problem. I suspect they are being set up as a new threat, the VMBs don't even need to send anyone from Earth to them, the ideas from Paraland already out there may have already lit the fuse, its only a matter of time,

God! I want the next one!

Aine Sabine's picture

I really want the next one. I really enjoy this series of stories. Fortunately, I'll be driving tomorrow and will be, for the next month. So I'll have time that will be concentrating on my job of pick ups and delivery.

Aine