Main Dish Minestrone

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

This is one of my all time favourite soups. Truly wonderful on a cold winter's day.

Main Dish Minestrone Soup

A robust mix of vegetables and sausage that makes a satisfying supper served with lots of fresh crusty French bread or rolls. Add seasonal vegetables as desired.

2 tbsp olive oil 30 mL
2 tbsp butter 30 mL
 ½ lb hot Italian sausage, sliced or 250 g
crumbled
1 large onion, diced 1
1-2 large garlic cloves, minced 1-2
 ½ cup each diced celery, carrots and 125 mL
green pepper
2 tbsp chopped parsley 30 mL
 ¾ tsp dried basil 4 mL
1/8 tsp dried thyme .5 mL
1 bay leaf 1
2 cups chopped tomatoes 500 ml
(or 19-oz/540 mL can)
6 cups chicken stock 1.5 L
2 cups shredded cabbage 500 mL
1cup cooked or canned kidney beans 250 mL
 ½ cup elbow macaroni or 125 mL
other pasta
Salt and pepper
Parmesan cheese (optional)

Method: In heavy saucepan, heat oil and butter. Add sausage, brown lightly. Add onion, garlic, celery, carrot and green pepper; cook until softened but not browned — about 4- 5 minutes. Stir in parsley, basil, thyme and bay leaf and a little salt and pepper. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Stir in chopped tomatoes and stock; bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add beans, cabbage and macaroni. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. If soup is too thick, dilute with water or stock to desired consistency. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve with Parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top if desired. This recipe doubles easily and freezes well. Serves 8

** I always double the recipe because then one uses a whole tin of kidney beans and a pound of sausage.

NB NOTE: If you use Knorr’s Chicken Instant Stock Mix (as I do), add only a light sprinkle of salt when you add salt and pepper to the sautéed vegetables with the spices. Taste the soup after the 30-minute simmering and add more salt if you feel it’s needed.

stories

what happen to your stories that were on site

jennyq