Disappearing Stories

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

While posting the continuing chapters for "Sara's Magic Crayons SRU", I have noticed that the previously posted chapters are disappearing from the Front Page.   I've scrolled through the various pages and cannot find them.   When I enter the "edit" mode for the missing chapters from the Author's Page, I find that the "Publish to the Front Page" option has been unchecked.   Since there is no accessible audit trail with this software, I'm not aware of who is doing this.

Lady Cynthia

Taking stories off the front page...

erin's picture

I do that. It's standard policy that after 8 to 24 hours, I remove all but the latest story in a series from the front page. This allows more stories to be displayed on the front page because chapters are all the same story. I keep all stories in a series linked together so each chapter is available to every other chapter via the "book" menu that appears in the top of the left column when a series chapter is displayed.

It's not an ideal solution but it's the one easiest for me to implement and fairest to the largest number of readers and authors. I've been thinking of another wrinkle; when the last story of a series is posted moving the title page of the series (usually made by me to link all the chapters together) back to the top of the front page with a note that says complete.

Comments?

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Another thing...

erin's picture

When people have posted more than three chapters at once, sometimes I've made a blog entry for them listing all of the new chapters with links. That's pretty easy since just writing a title or part of a title and enclosing it in square brackets will make a link to it or to a menu list of stories with the phrase in square brackets in the title.

Like this, using part of the titles of some recent series chapters:

[Magic Crayons]
[Making of Nibs]
[New Style]
[Rainy Day Adventure]
[Trip to America]

Cool, huh? :)

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Very Cool

I had similar thoughts when I was posting CARVERSION for Prue.

Love,
Lady Cynthia

Bracketed Links

erin's picture

BTW, if you bring up one of your own titles via one of the bracketed links, it won't be editable. Even though only the one entry has been found and is displayed in its entirety, the software considers it a listing, not a display so the edit tab won't show up. You can click on the title in the breadcrumbs (following the word 'Home' above the main title) to bring up an editable copy.

Nothing like an extra layer of complication, eh? :)

- Erin

Giggles

Thanks for the tip. But I would rather just lash the offender with a wet noddle. :)

Love,
Lady Cynthia

Good and Thanks

I like it Erin.

I think your efforts to allow stories to stay on the front page by consolidating the serials is a great effort Erin. Thank You.

I only post complete stories, so that gives me a chance to stay in the public view at least for a while.

I have noticed though that migrated stories from the old Big Closet have been taking over the front page anyway. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they are being brought over, but should they get the same billing as all new stories?

I'm probably alone in my thinking, except for those other personalities in my head...

Anyway, thanks for the great job Erin.

Wholeman

Yes, the weird author with the boob fetish.

Yes, the weird author with the boob fetish.

Migrated stories

erin's picture

What I generally do with migrated stories and freshened stories is try to make sure they are listed below newer stories entered on the same day. If I freshen or migrate a story, it is usually because I haven't seen a story posted in the last 18-30 hours or so. This keeps the home page of BC changing and updating and attracting new readers, or at least, that's what I intend by the policy. :)

- Erin

Classic BigCloset

is there anyway to access the archive?, and if you want you can migrate Elan Owen over, unless its already been deleted. SOrry I haven't been here in so long.

Yes and very nice to see you again!

erin's picture

I'll begin migrating E.O. (one of my own favorites) this week!

And I might as well give the addy to access the archive here but I'll do it in a non-spammer friendly way it's ateros dot com slash bc hyphen classic.

Hugs,
Erin

Bc-Classic

Hm. Forgot to add, /index.php to the end. But Chris has send the missing chapters to me to post, so I'll be bringing them over, one or two a day then post the two new ones at the end. :) Unless you want the chance for a last edit?

- Erin