Can't see the wood for the trees

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

The Category Browser provides a really powerful search facility. However, as I browse through the results, I seem to find endless repetitions of the same serial titles, sometimes the complete page is occupied with the same few titles repeated over and over again.

I've tried selecting "Fiction" but not selecting "Serial Chapter" in the content type, but it doesn't seem to make any difference - I still get serial chapters. I'm a bit confused by the wording "Not selecting any type is the same as selecting all types."

Am I using this correctly. Is it possible to filter out serial chapters in a search, or preferably, simply get one response for the whole series? Otherwise, it really is difficult to see the wood for the trees.

This is a good suggestion

I don't use the search function much for that same reason. If I'm gonna start reading a serial, I'm gonna start it from the beginning, so how would you go about, say only showing the title page of the serial?

Melanie E.

Serial Chapter

erin's picture

Serial Chapter is a type I'm experimenting with to see if I can use it to solve this and some other problems. Currently, the only Serial Chapters in the database are the two or three from my last experiments.

If you just want to see Title Pages, select only Title Page.

The phrase "Not selecting any type is the same as selecting all types." means exactly that. If no types are selected then all types are included.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

When it's obvious, it's obvious

Isn't it strange how you can puzzle over some things, and then, when they're explained, they are so obvious you wonder why you ever couldn't understand them. I read that term over and over, and couldn't grasp it - I think the confusion was caused because immediately after it were push-buttons for "All" and "Any". Now you've explained it, it's so obvious.

Thanks.

Incidentally, it sounds as though if you can get that Serial Chapters type working, it will make a big improvement to the Search facility.

Thank you for all the hard work you do in continually improving this site. As an ex FM user, it was frustrating at times using a system which was set in stone at the time of its conception, and there was always tremendous resistance to making any improvements whatsoever.

Best wishes

Charlotte

Another way to handle it

Would be to include a group-by clause in the select statement which would group all chapters of a serial or any multi-part story together. Then all matching titles could be listed together (without the full boxed preview description for any but the first).

RH