Random thoughts on color

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

Recently someone told me of a woman who is the world's leading expert on color.

She is a physicist and can tell you why you can't see infrared nor ultraviolet. Or exactly how a prism refracts light into the spectrum, and why the sky is blue. She also knows why strawberries are red, and why violets are violet.

In her spare time, this amazing woman is a sort of etymologist, but she specializes in the names of colors, and the phrases they are used in. She knows why the Blues are called the Blues, and why envy is a green-eyed monster. Why in America we use a yellow ribbon for remembering, and red roses for passion.

She is an achromat -- no, not an acrobat -- she can not see color at all. This goes well beyond the usual meaning of color blindness which only effects parts of the spectrum. This is a very rare condition, at most it effects one person in a hundred thousand. It can result from a lack of cones, the color sensitive cells in the eye, or from a cerebral condition which prevents the brain from receiving or interpreting the information from those cells.

If you told this woman that a yellow scarf would look better with her green jacket than a blue one, or if her little girl said she like lilac better than pink, she would have no understanding of what was being talked about. When her adolescent son wanted to paint his bedroom black she had to depend on literary and psychological information to tell her to worry about his mood.

Does she know anything at all about color?

Anyway, I found it all an interesting thought problem; I don't know how strange that makes me, many (and perhaps even more now) have very strong opinions on the matter. But it touches on so much! What is Knowledge really? What is perception? Does understanding require a gestalt that this woman is incapable of with color? It's a whole new twist on the antique mind-body dichotomy, right?

The thing sort of possessed me. After giving it three - or a hundred - hours of thought, I found a tangent. If you are even a tiny bit like me about things like this, you can close your eyes and think about just that part before you go on.

OK, back?

The tangent has to do with other spectra, shades of emotion, or of ideas, or of controversies, or of longings, or of gender. How often do we wind up confronting what is really our own unrecognized achromatopsia? Or some dueling partner's? It wouldn't really matter; the achromat sees a spectrum of grays we do not perceive; a dog's near total color blindness makes her a much better hunter at dusk. Either way we end up discussing two different kinds of knowledge and perception, don't we?

But even the achromat sees shades of gray, some people do love the safety of black and white.

Just some random thoughts. To my two or six readers: don't be surprised if Jordan winds up discussing this some month. It does tie in a bit, I just am not sure how to get it into the story.

Hugs and Joy.

Color - FWIW

My brother told me one time about a guy he knew in the Army that was totally colorblind, which is not supposed to happen, that is supposed to disqualify a person. But apparently he really wanted in bad, and could fake the book with the colorcharts.

Upshot was, he ended up a recon spotter in Vietnam. According to my brother, the camoflage that works so well in disguising things to a person with normal color vision stands out like a sore thumb to a colorblind person.

True or not, I don't know. But it is an interesting story.

A lot more on color and color blindness

can be found here.
http://www.toledo-bend.com/colorblind/index.asp

The HEX COLOR CHART tab shows a color chart Sephrena sent me a link to when I began helping put up colored Headers for stories on BCTS.

I prefer the various BASIC (select a color family s uch as Basic Blues) charts here, as they group all of the colors together, rather than sort of shotgunning them as in the Hex chart. The colors and numbers are the same, just, IMO, grouped better.

Another good one, is the form of a color wheel is at
http://colorlab.wickline.org/colorblind/colorlab/
Just hover over any of the sections and it will give you the hex values

But there are many other things here, and links to a lot more, if you are interested.

It’s not given to anyone to have no regrets; only to decide, through the choices we make, which regrets we’ll have,
David Weber – In Fury Born

Holly

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Holly

'a priori' knowledge

Jan,
You might want to read Emmanuel Kant's ~Critique of Pure Reason~
He deals with forms of knowledge and understanding, and addresses the concept of knowing the unknowable, or unprovable.
Heuristics is another field of study you might enjoy.
Michelle

Ding in sich

You would make me rational? or at least a rationalist? This is pretty Kantian isn't it.

It kind of plays with our a priori understanding of what knowledge is, doesn't it? Or maybe it is just proof that reason can't explain a ding an sich.

Hugs

Rationing, and sich-like

Actually, I never thought Kant was all that rational. He floundered around his whole adult life trying to find a reason for a belief he had no reason for having. Trying to explain how he could see something (God) so well, when he couldn't see it at all....
On the other hand (the sinister one) he was a well-organized and smart lunatic.
Michelle

not rational, maybe...

but he was a rationalist. He is on the list of philosophers in that school, usually the last. He set out to reconcile rationalism and empiricism, and ended both. Like a lot of people, he did well until he hit his on preconceptions and could find no way to support them within his system. His ethics, I think, are wonderful, but he ignores some ramifications that he can't deal with. Yes, if one could lie when ever one wants it would destroy language, but there are times when honesty is destructive too (his on example of the murderer seeking his victim.) Still, I do think that reason alone must be used to explain some things that are as real as phenomena, and that (in ethics) principle should trump result.

hugs.

Trump? Should he be part of this?

I'm afraid I studied Kant as a source of *faulty* reasoning, unsound rationalization. (Like reading Hardy for entertainment.)
Reason without reference to evidence (a priori knowledge, absent from sensuality) is... well, nuts.
No matter how thick the book you write, how convoluted the arguments, or how desperately you wanna believe, there has to be evidence in reality for a true ordering of thought.
And my prof was a priest, for that course. ;-)

On the other hand, faith is its own reward.

Michelle

(and to think, I used to believe in UFOs!)

Orthodoxy

But of course, it was his orthodoxy that brought Kant up short, and he still didn't make the churches happy. Was the priest a Jesuit? CSC? I always think they would like Kant better if Kierkegaard hadn't come along.

Bingo

Father Bertolli was a Jesuit monk.
Long gone now, alas, but I'm sure he's in a better place...

Even without evidence.

Michelle

There have been several threads of late...

Puddintane's picture

...touching on variations of this idea. Human beings quite often assume that the things we see and taste, the most notable examples of our perception of "intangibles," are the same for everyone. Colour and taste, indeed every perception, are entirely constructed within the brain, and have only a distant relation to any putative reality.

We see what we're capable of seeing, and only that. What we see is probably different from what other people see, because there are many variants of the genes which allow colour perception, and the wavelengths they code for are centred on different frequencies. Likewise taste is a third-hand edifice based on a very few inputs, and those inputs vary between people just as colour perception does. I'm a "supertaster," and I know that there are people like me, because I can look up "Supertaster" on Wikipedia and see the exact list of foods I don't like because they taste vile to me. Yet most people persist in their belief that my aversion to brussel sprouts, for one example, is "finicky" or an affectation. So I sympathise with colour blind people, who have a similar problem, that their perceptions don''t fall in line with the majority, even though it's quite likely that the things most people "agree upon" aren't at all the same thing when seen from inside.

There's an obvious metaphor here, which I won't belabour, other than to mention that this site caters to those whose perceptions may well differ from the run-of-the-mill human being.

Religious feelings are quite possibly the same sort of "sensation."

Very young children attribute "agency" to inanimate objects, and quite naturally believe that, because the Sun feels warm and follows them about, it is a benign being who wishes them well. This is why the Sun is almost *always* shown in children's pictures as smiling. Indeed, a frowning sun, or a sun with no expression at a certain age, is a possible indication of psychic trauma or mental illness.

We ourselves can look at lumps of clay, as long as they're outfitted with something like eyes, and believe on some level that they're alive, are conversing with one another, and can be "actors" in movies.

Paint eyes on a pingpong ball and you're halfway to creating life, in our minds, as many night club acts attest. Even a handkerchief can be animated through merely treating it as it it were alive.

We humans have a strong tendency to trust each other, so if we see a man talking to a handkerchief, or to a pingpong ball with eyes, we tend to half believe him, so aren't as insulted as we should be when the handkerchief says insulting things to us.

No wonder, then, that we can look at a man up on a high altar, seemingly conversing with Ba'al, if you prefer, or Ma'at, or whatever, and believe that the conversation is real, that what may be said by "Ba'al," or "Ma'at," is both real and true.

This is a hard thing for *everyone* to understand, just as the fact that my taste, or other people's vision, is profoundly *different* to that of someone else. That *they* can see quite clearly that "Ba'al" is wicked idolatry perversely insisted upon by wilful sinners, where *their* religion, the proper worship of the Holy Ma'at, is as divinely inspired and *True* as is the benevolence of the friendly Sun who loves us all.

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Half a supertaster

erin's picture

I used to hate everything on that list, too, except carbonation. But as I've aged, I've gotten used to things like brussels sprouts and whisky. Still can't stand grapefruit, cranberries or liver, though and can't really imagine why anyone likes stuff that tastes like THAT! :)

I had to educate myself to like Brussels sprouts, wine, whisky and sauerkraut but the effort would just be too much for some things.

Note the spelling of whisky. Scotch in other words, I still don't like Bourbon. :) Rye was a real shock to me, though, I liked it the first time I tasted it.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

>> educate myself to like Brussels sprouts

Puddintane's picture

I've never liked them, but have taken my "medicine" where I thought it was appropriate. Medicine doesn't have to taste nice, and I'm unwilling to ignore what is, after all, a tremendous evolutionary benefit, because "supertasters" are very rarely poisoned by plants anxious to preserve their own lives at the expense of animals.

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.

Interesting, to say the least!

Did you find out about this online? If yes, I'd like to take a peak at the same website....

Perception is such an interesting concept; especially for me it is interesting how people from different cultures, or even subcultures within a common whole, can look at the same thing and 'see' it so differently.

Who really knows what 'color' is, the person who can differentiate between more different shades of any one color to a degree that surpasses 'normal' sight, or the person who can most enlighteningly discuss the idea in its socio-economic, physiological-emotional context? Different kinds of knowledge, I'd say, both having a great deal to offer....

YW

Happiness and success are neither necessarily contemporaneous nor connected.
~ Gordon Sumner, quote from a radio interview I heard around 1990

He conquers who endures. ~ Persius

sounds like something from oliver sacks

rebecca.a's picture

Sacks, the author of "The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat", has written several books on perception and neurology. IIRC one was about a colorblind painter, and it contained other case studies of people with colorblindness.

Conversely, at least two women are tetrachromal. That is, they see additional colors in the spectrum that most of us can't.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrachromacy

not as think as i smart i am

No, this was told to me by a

No, this was told to me by a human, but she probably stole it from somewhere.

Sacks, who Rebecca mentioned, has a book about an island where 10% or the population are achromats. That's a large enough portion for it to effect change the society.

Hugs, Jan

Already has...

Puddintane's picture

Roughly twelve percent of men in the world as a whole have *some* form of colour vision anomaly,

Indeed, it's so common that it's quite possible that the typical male aversion to making fine distinctions of colour may be a cultural artefact based on a regression to the (male) mean, since the male brain is clearly able to make very fine distinctions in other fields, such as the "fitness" of young women, and the qualifications of football players.

Red-green colour blindness affects about 10% of males, although the incidence in the general population is much lower, since hardly any women are so affected. The other forms are more rare, around 1% or less each, overall, although specific populations may have a higher or lower incidence.

It's quite possible that many cases of "colour difference" are undiagnosed, since as long as everyone agrees that this or that is "red," no one really cares what it "looks" like when the brain is finished processing it.

You might also look up "Synesthesia" on the Web, as some people have brains that are "leaky" to some extent, so that "colours" may also have "taste," and letters and words printed on a "black and white" page may have individual "aurae" infusing them with an extra dimension of something else entirely. It's thought that at least some artists are, or were, synaesthetes, and this was an integral part of their creativity, and it's quite possible that at least some great writers have similar "distortions" in their brain function that make words somehow more pregnant with *meaning* and *life* than may be readily seen by their fellows.

The mere fact of literacy, that same faculty possessed by almost everyone reading these words, has made profound and irrevocable changes in your brain not shared by our illiterate ancestors or those still illiterate around the world. The fact that we can read words and infer meaning, connect them coherently in our brains so fluently that it's quite possible to make a "spontaneous" joke in print, is a miracle of perception so commonplace for most of us that we give it hardly any thought unless confronted with someone for whom this miracle is impossible. In this sense, all of us are "synaesthetes," confronted and surrounded by a "reality" quite invisible to many of our fellows.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia

Diane Ackerman, the author of A Natural History of the Senses, is a synaesthete. Interesting book, and interesting insights based on a lifetime of *difference*.

Cheers,

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

Synesthesia

I was about to throw mathematical synesthesia into this thread. In a way it is the opposite of achromatopsia, the sensing of color where none exist. If anything is pure idea, or reason, it is number. And it is the number, not only the figure, that the synesthetic senses. Ramanujan was said to have "seen" the factors of every number he was presented with.

Another way in which our understanding of knowledge and sensation are befuddled.

I used to tell children that there were three kinds of real magic; speech (especially in mutable languages), reading, and making music. I don't know how many got it, most of the children I taught I've lost track of, but the two I'm closest too are both multilingual, read a lot, and one of them is a semi professional singer (I used to read.)

There is a story that I have never seen debunked, that in the old days long, long ago, when the real AT&T ruled much of the world, they had giant bundles of wires, and used thousands of different shades to distinguish them. It was thought that women would be able to splice these wire faster than men, but the opposite proved to be the case. Not all, but some, men proved to be able to see the difference most quickly. On the other hand, girls and women are able to name many more shades and tints than most men and boys, but that is cultural.

{I'm worried about mentioning this, I don't want to ruin a pleasant discussion with politics, but POTUS is giving a speech today, that really brings into focus the kind of achromatopsia that I mentioned in the second part of my original post.}

Hugs
Jan

There's a nice paper here...

Puddintane's picture

http://www.diycalculator.com/sp-cvision.shtml

giving a short precís of the history and quirks of colour vision, including simulations of synaesthesia and other goodies.

There are some studies showing that up to 40% of women can actually distinguish more colours, especially in the red portion of the spectrum, than men. If the colours of the wires were chosen by men (and they almost certainly were, considering who ran AT&T in days of yore), they may have been difficult for women to detect for any number of reasons, including poor quality control on the wires themselves, creating "wildly different" colours that the male bosses perceived as "exactly the same," or due to inadvertent camouflage effects with contrasting colours that didn't contrast all that strongly when seen through the eyes of women.

Cheers,

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

See the bee. See the bee hum... The bee hums a bizzy color...

Funny you should bring up synaesthesia.
I have a form wherein I see loud noises as flashes of bright light. I'd make a really lousy drag racer....

On the other hand, music is beautiful. ;-)

Michelle

This is a fun thread. Philosophy, synaesthesia and memory lane, all in one!

Heck, I can remember...

Puddintane's picture

...having a terrible fight with an auto body shop who been contracted by my insurance company to repair my car after a minor mishap. A tourist had wandered onto the wrong road at the beach and had been suddenly confronted by heavily-armed guards who glared at him with barely-concealed menace and hostility, since he wasn't supposed to be there. No, it wasn't Area 51, despite rumours to the contrary, but a nuclear power plant on the Pacific coast, a perfectly ordinary source of life-threatening danger and mysterious rays that may yet kill us all. In the event, he was so confused and frightened that he threw his van into reverse and backed into the car behind him, which happened to be piloted by me.

The car was white, which seemed to me a simple thing to fix, but the shop managed to install what seemed to me a glaringly obvious distinction between the original white and the creamy-greyish white they'd patched it with. They were outraged, since I was "seeing things which weren't there," and pulled out their books with lists of formulae to "prove" to me that the white colour installed was *exactly* what the manufacturer had advised. I stood my ground, telling them that, if the patch were invisible, how was it that I was able to see it and trace out the outline with my finger. Grudgingly, they agreed at least to paint the entire bonnet (hood) in the same colour, which I was satisfied with, although the colours were *still* different, but the changing angles of the body work and the sharp demarcation between the movable bits and the main body made the contrast less annoying, and I consoled myself with the thought that I now had the subtlest "two-tone" car in existence. I felt quite posh...

Cheers,

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

Beep. boop...

Puddintane's picture

I think there might be a "wink wink" in there somewhere...

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

The BBC did a wonderful radio programme

Puddintane's picture

on Channel 4 some years ago as part of the Reith Lectures. I suspect it's still there in archive.

Vilayanur S. Ramachandran was talking about the deep foundations of art in the brain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vilayanur_S._Ramachandran

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/reith2003/

He did a television programme in the USA as well, but I disremember the name just offhand.

I expect someone can enlighten me.

Oddly enough, it's right on topic.

Puddin'

P.S. Whoops! Here it is:

How Art Made the World

http://www.pbs.org/howartmadetheworld/episodes/human/ramacha...

Here's something else:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c76lYVY4cao

And another on Synaesthesia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9hy7oOhHxk

Ramachandran is a hottie. Just look at those brains...

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

Diane Ackerman

rebecca.a's picture

omigod, i love A Natural History of the Senses. what an awesome book.

not as think as i smart i am

She has several...

Puddintane's picture

...other books out, each with their own charm.

An Alchemy of Mind: The Marvel and Mystery of the Brain

A Natural History of Love

Deep Play

A mort of them, most examinations of the world inside our minds, but several explorations of the natural world...

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

There's a simulation here...

Puddintane's picture

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorblind#Misconceptions_and_c...

According to the article, certain types of colour blindness make it easier to detect patterns and textures.

From the example, which shows a red apple as seen by a person with normal vision and by a person with anomalous trichromy, it does seem easier to see "past the red," but this may be my imagination.

I saw an example years ago that purported to do the same with actual camouflage netting over tanks, but can't quite remember where it was. Again, the simulation, at least, made the tank shapes rather more apparent than they were under "normal" mottled green.

One should be able to do a rough test through manipulating an image digitally using Photoshop or other photo editing software to adjust the colour balance in various ways.

Here's a sample picked at random:

http://tinyurl.com/r226hz

Without too much work, it was possible to make the image of the vehicle "pop" although how that might correspond to actual human vision anomalies would take more effort.

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

Colorblind

erin's picture

I was at a D&D game once and had four men tell me that "navy" was a color word that only women used for a shiny shade of black. LOL.

A colorblind friend of mine told me that natural vegetation came in shades of brown but that paint and cloth that looked green to normal eyes often looked gray or yellow to him. That's why he said it was easier for red-green colorblind people to spot camouflage, that it was hard to match paint and dye to natural colors for both normal eyes and colorblind eyes.

Another friend of mine had a father who was completely color-blind. One Christmas, the kids decided to get dad a new TV. He told them to be sure to get a color TV. My friend asked him why since he couldn't see color. His father told him that b&w tvs didn't come in any size bigger than 16 inches. :)

In college I had a painting class with a color blind friend. He could see colors but he saw them in a very bizarre way. He liked electric blues and drab greens, brownish reds and purples, bright oranges and pale yellows. Bright greens or reds just didn't look right to him. Weird. His paintings had a very Van Gogh look to them. He did a color wheel that had all the hues right but had very bizarre contrasts and saturations.

Hugs,
Erin

As mentioned, colors are subjective-so is camouflage

Color differences too small to be seen by the human eye can create havoc, which is part of the problem of detecting camouflage with an electronic system such as TV cameras.
It has been mentioned that the paint on a tank may look the same to some human eyes as the background or netting over it. True … sometimes … as the army has found out in trying to get a TV system to help..

But trying to get a color TV camera to be able to detect the difference may mean a lot of experimentation to get the detector to be able to tell the difference.

Long ago and far far away in a … factory I used to work in, before the days of computers, people who wanted stuff to present at meetings had to dictate it to a secretary, who would type it up. Then it would be taken to the copy center to be copied into as many copies as were needed for the meeting.

My boss had found that he could mark up the important items with his Carters ™ yellow highlighter ),( like we still use ), as he proofread the document. Once he OK’d it, ( he might have a page or two retyped to fix bad typos or omissions first ), he would take it to the copy center where it would be copied. The highlighter he used was transparent to the big Xerox ™ copier used in the center.

Then one day he had an important presentation for the Board, (of course!), and he did as usual. But all the copies came back with solid black wherever he’d used the highlighter. It seems that Carters had reformulated the ink used, and although it looked the same to the human eye, it had gone from transparent to opaque black as far as the copier was concerned. And since it had not yet been copied, there were no good copies. Since it was goingn to the copier, why use carbon paper? ( For those of you under 30, maybe 40?, google 'carbon paper' )

He did not have time to have the secretary retype the entire 20+ page paper, and had to give his talk without handouts to the Board. The best he could do was to promise to give them copies in a day or two.

That evening, he found a printer in town who had a copier that found the new ink to be almost transparent, and was able to have them run off the copies for the next day, before the poor secretary was more than halfway through retyping it.

At first, Carters ™ would not admit that had even made a change, until he sent them samples marked up with his old highlighter and the new one. Luckily, he also sent them samples of the copies, because both marked up original worked just fine on the Xerox ™ copier Carters ™ had. But they finally did confess to having ‘tweaked the inks just a bit’.

It’s not given to anyone to have no regrets; only to decide, through the choices we make, which regrets we’ll have,
David Weber – In Fury Born

Holly

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Holly

>> Colors are subjective...

Puddintane's picture

We can observe this every day. The moon is actually about the same colour as coal, but appears "white" against the night sky because that's *really* black.

Likewise, as mentioned in the article I referenced, we readily process wildly different colours into being the "same" based on other cues in our visual fields, and quickly compensate for sunglasses with coloured lenses so things look "natural" though heavily-tinged with green, amber, or yellow, and then look "weird" for a while when we take the coloured lenses off.

Camera lenses, which don't have nearly the processing power behind them, have to be compensated through physical or electronic filters under different lighting conditions, and every *serious* camera operator or photographer carries a "white card" so she can be sure, after adjusting what the lens sees, that what she sees is captured correctly by the camera.

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

>> If you told this woman that a yellow scarf...

Puddintane's picture

If she's like most women I know, she has one or more close friends upon whose vision and taste she depends, who go shopping with her and pick out groups of clothes that they can both agree upon. I used to work with a woman who was completely blind, and we often spent "our" lunch hour in the local shops selecting outfits which suited her skin colouring and eyes, which she would carefully bundle together so she didn't lose track of what went with what. She had a system of buttons that she would sew into hidden seams so she could tell her outfits apart when they came back from the laundry, and would periodically bring items into work so I could give her my opinion about what might work with outfits I'd already seen.

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

I have a blind friend ...

erin's picture

... who has an amazing knowledge of color. Which colors go together, what shading, texture and pattern effects work well, what the emotional language of color is. She also has a phenomenal sense of where she is and can give driving instructions. I tell her she's the most visually-oriented blind person I know. :

I have another friend who is legally blind, though he can see well enough for many things and he too is amazingly visually-oriented. He does computer painting, designs clothing for his girlfriend and devours all kinds of graphic and visual arts.

They're both very verbal people, too.

Hugs,
Erin

blud-eee 'ell

kristina l s's picture

I feel like I went lookin' for the loo and wandered into a left bank cafe. I need a drink and it's only 11 in the mornin'. Okay coffee will have to do, now where's my dictionary... all those big words....

Kristina

There's talk here of colors and tastes...

But, what about smell? What we smell varries a lot (and significantly impacts what we taste, but that's another topic)... The "Nose" is VERY well paid in the perfume industry, for very good reason. Some folks noses are just MUCH more sensitive to smells in general, and to shades in smells. (I've become MUCH more sensitive to aromas and smells since developing asthma... Why, the doc isn't sure. He's speculated that the meds I take to control my asthma - and sinus issues - have cleared things up to the point where I now smell things that were masked before. I dunno. Maybe.)

Annette

Smell is the largest part of taste, but...

Puddintane's picture

The senses book by Diane Ackerman talks about smell a lot. Heck, Proust wrote one and a half million words, all started by the smell of madelines and called it "In Search of Lost Time."

I wrote a book once, about an anosmiac, someone who's lost their sense of smell, and how (among many other things) it changed their mental map of the world, disappearing the very idea of smell as a part of the sensorium so thoroughly that it was difficult to remember smelling anything, a continent of memories gone down to oblivion like Atlantis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anosmia

Puddin'
-----------
“Smell brings to mind... a family dinner of pot roast and sweet potatoes during a myrtle-mad August in a Midwestern town. Smells detonate softly in our memory like poignant land mines hidden under the weedy mass of years.”
--- Diane Ackerman

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

Sensitivity

Interesting topic, Annette,

For many women, smell/taste-sensitivity also increases during pregnancy. Some theorize that it's an adaptation to protect the developing fetus from toxins and irritants (at the expense of the mother's comfort).

Also, many people become very odor-sensitive (or maddeningly ~insensitive~) during illness (aside from upper-respiratory infections). Which kinda fits in with 'protecting the fetus' (now the independent person). Kinda.

~Further~ theorizing, the nose is simply our primary, primeval sense and we are internally alerted to even the tiniest, smallest changes in sensitivity, unlike all our other senses. We may not remember what a predator smells like, but we're all unconsciously aware of our ability to detect one. Or our inability, and the mortal danger that represents.

We may dislike a color, or be annoyed by a sound, or shiver at a touch... but only an odor/taste (much the same thing) can instantly sicken us.

Michelle

Stevie Wonder...

Puddintane's picture

...widely known for being blind, was also an anosmiac. He had notorious difficulty maintaining relationships, one of the probable functions of our sense of smell.

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

Sensawunda

erin's picture

Smell is kind of a specialty of mammals, very few birds or reptiles have much of a sense of smell. The development of the mammalian brain started with the expansion of the olfactory processing parts near the front of the brain and may have led directly to the greater plasticity of mammalian intelligience. Birds, on the other hand, seemed to have specialized in vision, at least, compared to mammals and reptiles.

Smell is the sense with the shortest path from sensory organ to processing point in the brain. We can react more quickly and with less thinking to a perceived smell than anything except peripheral reflexes that are mediated in the spinal cord instead of the brain.

And smell in the brain is directly hooked into the emotional centers, especially the fight-or-flight emotional turbo-charger circuits. The heavy musk of a large predator excites us. Perfume makers use tiny amounts of musky smells to make their product draw attention to the wearer. We will look for where that smell is coming from. :)

And nothing makes a primate think of sex like a brief subliminal scare. It's why horror movies are so popular with teenagers. :)

Hugs,
Erin

"brief subliminal scare"

Hi, Erin,

Existential eroto-maniacal stimulation: I smell, I fear, therefore I ~am~, therefore I procreate.

Grunt!

Kewl!

Michelle