The Gift - A Story Challenge - Ends Friday

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

It's the first day of November and I've been planning this story challenge for weeks. So here it is:

Write a short story, or a self-contained episode of a serial, preferably 7500 words or less (or more if you need them), on the theme of a Gift, given or received.

This challenge will end on Thanksgiving Friday, November 27 at 11:59 PM PST.

There are no winners, it's just a challenge to see what you can do with the idea. :)

I'll have a category set up to mark the entries with.

Hugs,
Erin

P.S. Only a day left on this challenge. - Erin

Click here for a short list of the stories: The Gift.

Silly question ...but

Does it need to have a TG/TV theme?

I have difficulty in thinking of two themes at once.

Come to think of it I have difficulty in thinking of one theme over an extended period of time.

Or even fleetingly.

But I nearly had an idea. Not a full nearly but almost the beginning of the ghost of a nearly.

And if so I'd like to know.

Hugs,

Fleurie Fleurie

Fleurie

Yes, it should have a TG/TV theme or TG/TV characters

erin's picture

But it's a challenge, not a contest, so I'm not going to insist. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Theme question

Does the recipient of the gift need to be thankful for it?

Nope

erin's picture

I'll leave that up to the author, along with other details. :)

Hugs,
Erin

Devil's Advocate

I'll be the Devil's advocate here and pose the question. Is it really a gift if the receiver neither desired it nor appreciates having received it? Just a thought.

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

A gift

A gift is something given.

Whether the gift is something that is looked upon as useful, wanted or necessary is a different matter entirely.

Think of all those unwanted Christmas presents that accumulate, like Auntie Joan's cardigans; where the sleeves are of different lengths and the body would be hard pressed to fit a Barbie doll.

Is it wanted? Probably not, but that doesn't make it any less of a gift.

Jessica
I don't just look it, I'm totally evil

Curious

I´m looking forward to the stories, this seems really interesting. How will our heroes stand to their gifts? Will they accept with pleasure, or will it come as Danaan´s Gift? Will they look gifted horse on teeth?
You can think, I´m just having mean streak, but I think this story contest would DEFINITELY be fun. I´m even temted to try write something myself.
Robin

yes

Yes. Look up the term "white elephant."

Just Write a Story

RAMI

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, just accept the challenge as the gift that Erin wants to give us. Write a story if you want. Those of us who read it will accept it for what its worth.

RAMI

RAMI

First

shiraz's picture

Well, I took the challenge, albeit at short notice.

I had checked through the contests and challenges calendar yesterday wondering if there'd be a November challenge ....

Anyway, I'm game for anything and knocked up a little 2000 piece in two hours.

Game on.

Topsy
Mostly Harmless

- - - -

Paperback cover Boat That Frocked.png

Not first

shiraz's picture

What's the adage about checking first?

Well done to Jill Micayla for getting there first!

Topsy
Mostly Harmless

- - - -

Paperback cover Boat That Frocked.png

I don't usually do challenges/contests

Angharad's picture

But the idea came to me, so I've knocked out a short story to use it. It's bit schmaltzy but I know one young lady who'll probably enjoy it, and it makes a bit of a change from the random violence I've been writing in Bike, recently.

Angharad

Angharad

I wrote one with that sort

I wrote one with that sort of theme in 2003, if anyone is interested.

storysitetwo.org/story/favoritethings~01.html

Well, wadda you know

littlerocksilver's picture

I never thought I would be able to respond to a direct challenge such as this. The, I got a little inkling of an idea and three hours later "Cynthia and the Christmas Gift" was essentially done. It still took Holly to fix the messes I make with the American-English language. It was a lot of fun, and I have been encouraged by the response that the little tidbit received. Thank you everyone. :) Portia

Portia

Made it by that much!

I was beginning to think I wasn't going to make it but I got the Jacket posted last night. I've been working on it for awhile but the ending just wouldn't gel right! Once again our community of writers have come to together and produced some really great stuff! I was too busy reading to write! LOL

Hugs!

Grover