Commenting on BC

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

A recent set of threads on Fictionmania has led me to think I need to clarify my policy on comments here.

Authors own their stories and therefore have a right to control which comments appear attached to their stories. If an author objects to a comment on one of their own stories, I will remove that comment, though I may choose to discuss it with the author and commenter before permanent removal. While discussing the fate of such a comment, I will unpublish it so only those with admin priveleges can see the comment. I've done this about ten times.

I own the website and therefore have a right to control which stories and comments appear on my website and the form in which they appear. I also reserve the right to edit stories for grammar and other elements of style but not for content. I have only refused display to three stories in the six year history of BC, as far as I recall. One was plagiarism, one was not a story but a confused and poorly typed fantasy fetish scene and one violated my TOS with the owner of my server by having a detailed and prurient account of a child rape.

Similarly, I reserve the right to edit comments for grammar and style, though I seldom do unless it is an egregious typo in the header of the comment, thus appearing on my front page. Commenters are free to ask me to restore or delete if they think I have changed their meaning or otherwise overstepped my bounds.

I also reserve the right to partially redact a comment that I feel is valuable but contains a sentence or two that oversteps the bounds of politeness and consideration that I wish to maintain. I redact whole sentences when I do this and I leave a interposed note -- {{Comment edited - Erin}} -- like that, and I notify the commenter so they can object or clarify their comment. I've done this about six times. If the commenter objects to the deletion and we can't agree on a clarification, the comment can be removed or perhaps moved to forum instead of being attached to an author's story.

Things I don't allow anywhere:
-- Name calling of contributors.
-- Lurid descriptions of incestuous rape, child molestation or bestiality.

Things I don't allow in comments, blogs or forums:
-- Bigotry.
-- Harrassment.
-- Name calling of public figures. (Permitted in a blog, but I may unlink the blog from the front page.)
-- Pointed comments that can too easily be misunderstood as one of the above.

All of these involve judgement calls by me. Fair enough, I'm in charge here. Note, I don't read every story or every comment and sometimes I may miss minor violations even if I do read something. I'll look at anything brought to my attention but that doesn't mean I'm always going to do something except in the case of authors who want control of the presentation of their stories and commenters who want their comments removed.

Anyone who posts a blog or forum, doesn't have the right to ask me to remove a comment just because they object to it. I may, but I may not, also.

I don't want flamewars here. I want people to read and write and comment on TG fiction and feel safe and comfortable doing so.

I can clarify anything that seems vague if anyone wants to comment on this. :)

- Erin

I Agree

I think the standards you set Erin are right on. We all need to know the rules and abide by them in a society. Also, to say, that we are guests here, invited or otherwise, and we should behave ourselves.

Cindy

You're the boss!

Just another endorsement of your policies, Erin. I don't read the comments on FM, it seemed like a hassle the one time I tried, but I have a pretty good idea what the problem might be. The people who scream "Freedom Of Speech" generally don't understand what that actuallly means. It's your site, and you have to answer for whatever appears here. Your rules are quite liberal, for the most part, and people shouldn't have any problem with them. Frankly, the stories that violate your terms are probably not stories I'd want to read anyway. "Lurid descriptions of incestuous rape, child molestation or bestiality." - UGH!

Thanks for setting some standards, and keeping this a great site!

Love & Hugs!
Karen J.

"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Proof of the pudding

Your rules are sensible and civilised. You apply them in a liberal and understanding way.

Moreover it is your site and herein your writ must run.

And the proof of their worth is that it is the site it is. And there can be no better justification than that.

Hugs,

Fleurie

Fleurie

Simple Rules, Common Courtesty

A reasonable framework for a public website, Erin.

How does the phrase go, 'Agree to disagree'? In an ideal world I'd let anyone say whatever they want, whenever they want, but there are circumstances where that can't be. Yelling 'FIRE!' in a theater is a classic example of when free speach exceeds its limits. Using your chainsaw at three AM to protest a noise abatement law is another.

There is another phrase that goes roughly, 'your freedom extends no further than the moment your fist hits the tip of someone else's nose.'

Enough platitudes for now. This simple answer is for everyone to be polite and if you have something to say that can't or shouldn't be said in public, say it in a private message.

Have a safe Memorial Day Weekend.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Sometimes we need a Mom....

Breanna Ramsey's picture

I agree with everything you said Erin, and echo the other comments here. Don't get me wrong; I am not dissing any other sites. FictionMania introduced me to a community I had no idea existed. Crystal's Story Site and Sapphire's Place expanded on that introduction. But this site offers so many things the others are a little lacking in; most of all a family atmosphere. I'm not trying to get political here, but Hilary Clinton said, 'It takes a village to raise a child'. I think it takes a parent ... and a parent is someone who draws a line.

Thanks Mom!

Sincerely,
Scott

Bree

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
-- Tom Clancy

http://genomorph.tglibrary.com/ (Currently broken)
http://bree-ramsey314.livejournal.com/
Twitter: @genomorph

Erin's our mom?!

Oooerrr!

:: walking up to Erin with my dimpliest smile ::

Can you take us out for icecream? There's only . . .

:: counting heads, losing count, counting again ::

Ummm . . . a few thousand, I guess.

. . .

Pleeeese?

^.~

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Heather Rose Brown
Author of Bobby's Rainy Day Adventure

Is your room clean?

erin's picture

All your chores done? Homework? :)

Doesn't drawing cartoons count as much as ice cream? :)

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Icecream Mommy?

I don't want icecream, I WANT custard!

PLLLEEASE MOOOMMY?

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. Sorry Mommy, my rooms a mess, I'll clean it up.

John in Wauwatosa

Ice Cream & Cartoons

:: kicking unfinishes stories under bed ::

Well, my room's mostly clean. That's better than not clean at all, right? And . . . ummm . . . I just posted a story. Would that count as doing chores?

:: scritching head while trying to answer the last question ::

Oh, There ain't no homework 'cause schools out!

Drawing cartoons definitely counts as much as ice cream, but if I could have both, that'd be even better!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Heather Rose Brown
Author of Bobby's Rainy Day Adventure

Both, Please!

Drawing cartoons definitely counts as much as ice cream, but if I could have both, that'd be even better!

I like the way you think, Heather! :)

Love & Hugs!
Karen J.

"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Yup, Erin is our MOM! I have said the very same thing...

before and I say it again. Erin gave me my first breath as Angel O'Hare, as an infant writer struggling while taking my first steps. She took my hands and helped me take those first steps and still hasn't let go!

Many of us took our first steps here at the Big Closet, some at the Classic site and some before even that. I know all the other sites and have posted stories on them. I only post stories to one site now, this one. I will from time to time submit one or two to Crystal's site, but that is all.

This is my home and where I was born. It is a family and is the most helpful site for any newbie author or for anyone asking for a bit of help. There is no other site like it anywhere on the net!

Yup Erin is my MOM and I love her for all she has done and still does for me and all her other kids!

Huggles All
Angel O'Hare

Be yourself, so easy to say, so hard to live.

You can find my stories at by going to. http://bigclosetr.us/topshelf/taxonomy/term/39

"Be Your-Self, So Easy to Say, So Hard to Live!"