It seems all you authors know the proccess

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

Being totaly green, I dont even know how to post a story on this website.
Speaking as a virgin on this website, my attempt to post a viable story on this site proved fruitless (due to my own ignorance,may I add) not to worry,its back to F.M for my storie's. (Read but never reccognised)aah well.

Posting a story

It's not necessarily all that tricky - but I can imagine for a first timer or a computer novice, all the 'administration' fields (story length, contests, themes / elements, universes, keywords) can be daunting. However, there is an easier way: you only have to ask and I'm sure someone would volunteer to post the stories on your behalf if you emailed / PM'd the stories to them. A brief insight into the kind of stories you like to write and their length may help - and if you ask nicely, they may even offer to proof read / spell check / reformat (prettify) / edit the stories.

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Posting

Go to ++fiction on top menu bar, above 'home'
Write title in obvious box
Under "Categories click 'new author'
Then select under ratings depending on your story.
For a one off, select 'fiction'
Then, under genre, select what best fits you, such as 'transitioning'
Unless you are submittng something odd, go to 'character age' and select the best fit.
Unless you are writing something set in somebody else's world, ignore the next and go to 'permissions' and select 'contributed by author'
Go to 'body' and either type in or cut and paste from 'word' your story.You will see a button above the 'body' that looks like a and b staggered either sde of a horizontal line. Pick a suitable teaser from your first paragraph, set the cursor at that point and click that a-line-b button.

At the very bottom of everything, click 'preview'
Then, at the very bottom of everything again, click 'submit'

It's easier here

I think it is easier to post things here than on FM. Certainly there are not more boxes et c. to be filled in, and it is so nice to have things up at once too, but familiarity breeds comfort.

If you think you had your whole story in the box, and weren't getting any red labels telling you you had missed a field, then you probably thought you were done when you had only reached preview. The first time you hit the bottom button it takes you to a preview page, so you can see the actual effect of any formatting. Then you must hit a button at the bottom again to post. That is the only tricksy part I can think of(Though this blog would have been the same way, so maybe not.)

I think you should try again, or just write someone and ask for help, there are a lot, a lot of helpful people around here.

I agree with Cyclist! Except...

Firstly, don't sweat it, Cyclist's directions will get you started. There are many people willing to help on this site-I know I've made more than my share of mistakes (and will probably make many more before I get this right...). I anxiously await your stories!

Wren

Seconded! Err, thirded?

Zoe Taylor's picture

Something like that ^_^ Everybody's got to start somewhere!

Robin may look nice and neat and pretty now, but you have no idea the mess I've made of the front page (to which our admins can attest, as they've had to help me fix my postings on more than a few occasions)

And I'm still learning. I still make glaring mistakes, and sometimes I just have a brain-to-finger communications breakdown. :-)

But Cyclist's advice is solid, as Wren said. :-D

"Zoe, you are definitely the Queen of Sweetness with these Robin stories!"
~ Tychonaut

~* Queen of Sweetness *~

~* Queen of Sweetness *~

Become a Patron for early access ♥

as someone who struggled at first

don't let a few boo-boos get you down. Pretty soon, you will be an old hand at it.

"Treat everyone you meet as though they had a sign on them that said "Fragile, under construction"

dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

S.O.S

WebDeb's picture

I have been trying to post a story on B.C for some time now with no success.
Although I have no problem filling in the usual categories, when it comes to cut and paste my word document, it does not respond in the way I would expect.
The only options offered are, Delete/Send to One Note/Select all. paste is not a given option.
I have 26,ooo word story with one image(maybe a bit ambitious)
I had hoped to post it at Chtistmas as it is a festive fairy tale.
Thanks to cyclist for an earlier endeavour in trying to teach this bumpkin how to navigate the system but alas to no avail due to my own ignorance.

Any helpful suggestions would be most appreciated.
In your hands
DebWeb.

Cut and paste

I am not acomputer technician by any stretch of the imagination, but I am just wondering if the format of your original document has anything to do with it. Sending University assignments used to cause me huge problems, because the file type couldn't be read. I am sure someone who knows what they are talking about (unlike me) will be along shortly.

Cut'n'paste

I would think that 26,000 words is probably a bit excessive and may be more than your clipboard can manage. The largest story part I've ever uploaded was about 15,000 words. You will find that people might struggle to read a story that big in one go, or they might not even try.

Try this:

1. Do a Save As on your file and change the file type to HTML. Make sure you get it to save the file in the correct directory, the systems sometimes default it to places like 'Desktop'. This gets rid of Word control codes and changes the whole file to text.

2. Fire up Notepad and Open the file you just saved.

3. You need to be logged in and in the "Add a story" page on Bigcloset at the same time as you have your story open in Notepad.

4. Either use the Edit menu option or use Control+A to Select All.

5. Hit copy, then switch to your open and waiting Bigcloset entry window.

6. Click on the Text Entry window to select it, then right-click and you should see Paste as an option.

6. Done! Press Preview to see what a horrible mess you've just made...

Penny

Write place?

Penny wrote:

5. Hit copy, then switch to your open and waiting Bigcloset entry window.

6. Click on the Text Entry window to select it, then right-click and you should see Paste as an option.

From the options you are seeing, I suspect what is happening is that #6 is falling over because the second part of #5 has not been done or has been ineffective (a mouse problem I get from time-to-time), and you are not actually working in the entry box. ("Send to one-note" almost certainly means 'control' is still in your text program.)

A way to check that you are actually working in the right place is to type a few random characters (that's called 'greeking' though what you usually see is Latin: "Ipsum lorem..."). If you don't see your greeking, left-click again in the BC entry box and try again. Don't forget to delete the 'greeking' when you do paste your story in!

Hoist

...a mouse problem I get from time-to-time

I've just tried to send a PM, and whilst composing it, I must had had 8/10 instances of my pointer not being where I though I had put it (ie where I had clicked).

I make no allegation as to the cause of this - there are too many pieces of software at work - and the wetware is not terribly reliable either. My case is, 'it happens'.

PS
M$ Publisher (and possibly other M$ programs) usually refers to 'where your cursor is' as "the insertion point", but I though present company might find that a little too exiting...

Using PMs

How do you send a full length story using a PM??

Zip

Copy and Paste

Enemyoffun's picture

I use Word so I just copy the story and paste it into the PM window. Then I send it off to my editor for editing :)

EOF