"Pray the Gay Away"?

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

There was a program on attempts to "cure" gays. Here is a link:

http://www.oprah.com/own-our-america-lisa-ling/Our-America-w...

I watched most of it

laika's picture

Yesterday
our hearts were gay
so we cut them out
and threw them away
and I must say
it was no pain to part
with those lousy stupid
sick immoral
pink shit faggot hearts
~by Henry Gibson

The ex-gays eyes are spooky. Kinda remind me of my week with the Unification Church
(the "Moonies"). There seems to be a lot of muddled definitions in these folks' minds,
conflating gender identity with sexuality and sexuality with the problem of sex addiction,
all wrapped in a deliciously crunchy pseudo-Freudian shell (the breakdown in family values made me this way)...

It's anyone's right to try & live by their beliefs and rules, and some may find it really
is the best life for them; but I really feel for all those who are coerced into it
by well-meaning (or not so well meaning) family with unrealistic expectations
for a change in attraction, and the resulting guilt, despair shame, self loathing etc...

~hugs, Veronica (Who's been praying to be changed into a lesbian. I'll keep you posted on my progress.)

Focus On The Family Sells This Garbage!

jengrl's picture

Focus on The Family sells this garbage by the bucket load. They claim that Gays can be cured and automatically turned straight. My sister-in-law contacted them about finding someone to cure my Transsexualism. He claimed to be a "former" transperson. I seriously doubt that he was really that far over the transsexual line, because most research has pretty much concluded that there is not a psychological "cure" for a true transsexual to suddenly turn them "normal". I took the card and promptly threw it in the garbage as soon as she left. They totally refuse to believe that LGBT kids are bullied in large numbers inside schools. They think that we are somehow padding the numbers to further our agenda and that kids are somehow justified in their bullying because we are engaging in an immoral lifestyle "choice". These people just give me a headache!

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Silly People

Everyone knows aversion therapy using non-leathal electric shocks is the only cure, though I expect water boarding probably would be just effective.

Nancy Cole

Nancy_Cole__Red_Background_.png

~ ~ ~

"You may be what you resolve to be."

T.J. Jackson

Dunking Stool

I also think that historically the dunking stool and pressing with stones have been used effectively to control "undesirable" tendencies. And if the subject ends up dead then at least that's the end of the problem and serves as a warning to others.

Michelle B

There has been a spate of

There has been a spate of publicity on this lately. One article I read was honest enough to say that the "reversal" was more of a denial and like living with a chronic disease. Prayer and religion is part of the bandaid, and the individual is always in danger of backsliding. Interesting you should mention the eyes. They are the eyes of the passionate true believer, and you can replicate them among the Teaparty folk at a rally, and among the teenyboppers at a Justin Beiber concert.

Tried living in denial for nearly 60 years. Doesn't work worth (whatever four letter barnyard terminology you wish to insert). The "problem" with LGB and trans is the stupid society, especially the religious judgemental aspect, not the LGB and trans folk.

CaroL

CaroL

Poppycock!

'You are what you are...' is what I have heard quoted from the Bible and if God was black, he'd have said 'You is what you is."

I don't believe all that anyway.

What I do believe is that there are males who prefer females and those who prefer males.

There are also females who prefer males and those who prefer females.

There are even those who like neither and those who have no preference either way.

We are forever being told what to like and what not to and those who attempt to change to fit with the so-called majority are usually more than a little embittered by constantly trying to please everyone else and being made uncomfortable or even unable to live with themselves in the process. Meanwhile, everyone else has their own set of likes and dislikes and really doesn't care what the others think.

I think you should be what you are and just be nice to people. If you believe there's a God up there or wherever, your acts towards others are likely to have far more impact than the act of denying what is fundamentally you. Behave like a complete arsehole towards others and be taken to task for those acts by the Almighty when you reach the Pearly Gates. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you as the Bible apparently teaches and I don't think you can go far wrong.

It IS just an opinion, but there are far too many arseholes that hide behind their religion and think that they can treat others like dirt, yet feel they are assured of a place in heaven because they go to church once a week and bung a bit of money on the collection plate.

Hypocrites!

Indeed, the various church organisations are not without their sins and are notorious for misquoting or taking Biblical passages out of context in order to further their own personal preferences or put more emphasis on their particular phobias. Remember that even into the 1900's, the Roman Catholic Church was castrating prepubescent male choristers in order to retain the purity of their voices. Curious when you consider that it's a practice that is looked upon as mutilation and therefore sinful. Yet it was an act that was ordered by church officials - right up to the Pope himself.

This sounds to me like a really big case of do as I say, not do as I do, or one rule for me and another for you.

You can't stop yourself having blue eyes or brown hair. Similarly, you can't change your sexual orientation, nor should you be taken to task or made to suffer because of that.

Jessica
I don't just look it, I'm totally against sinful people using religion as a weapon

Righteous vs. Un-righteous

I've heard it said that there are two types of people; the righteous and the un-righteous. The classifying is of course done by the righteous.

Michelle B

Lisa Ling did a 'live

Zoe Taylor's picture

Lisa Ling did a 'live conversation' about this piece that, after I watched it, made me wish I'd watched the actual show. I should have known Lisa would approach this subject with the same respect that she approached the TG episode, but it was just too painful and sensitive a subject for me.

But the comment that really made me chuckle was from the Doctor Lisa had on the program. I've already forgotten her name (Andrea something), but when she asked what she thinks of "Conversion Therapy", the doctor responded, "This isn't even therapy, really. It's Pseudo-therapy. It's Quackery."

She went on to explain how real therapy is "rooted in science, not hatred and political agendas". It was an absolutely brilliant message that more people need to hear outside the LGBT community.

~* Queen of Sweetness *~

Become a Patron for early access ♥