What is a button?

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

I am seeing something called buttons slowly appear on the site. I even have some, whatever they are. So what are they, or are we waiting for an announcement?

I think it's a trick to

I think it's a trick to motivate people to write comments :D If you get something for writing comments you may be more likely to write some...

If you look in 'My Account'

Angharad's picture

You'll see how many buttons you have. You get them for clicking on 'good story', for writing comments and for posting blogs or stories.

Angharad

If I lose any buttons....

Ragtime Rachel's picture

...does that mean I've been penalized (a comment someone didn't like, say)? Or does it mean I didn't use certain ones before they expired? (I did see a notation that said "expiry" for some of them). Which, of course, raises the question of how one "uses" them in the first place.

Livin' A Ragtime Life,
aufder.jpg

Rachel

I lose buttons

All the time. Means I have to sew the replacements on better.

"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

So I'm not the only one who's

So I'm not the only one who's losing them? I thought someone at admin didn't like me or something like that ^^ Anyway, it would be nice to know what is up with the buttons.

Still being tested / implemented

Hence why Erin hasn't posted a big announcement yet. Everything is subject to change, but at the moment, it appears to be a 'reward' for interacting with the site as opposed to using a guest account to read the stories without giving any form of feedback.

Currently, you can earn buttons by logging in, giving kudos, writing a blog or story and commenting on a blog or story.
Alternatively, if people like something you've written (either a story or a blog), they can give you some of their buttons (and vice versa).

In summary:

-x - those you give to others (i.e. giving buttons subtracts from your own balance)
1 - log in, give kudos
2 - write or comment on a blog
3 - comment on a story (perhaps for writing one as well?)
x - those given to you by others (depleting their own balance)

However, as the feature's still being worked on, all of the above is subject to change without notice.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

So...

What you're saying is that it's a kind of internal BCTS currency? Interesting.

Against that, there's a screen where you can see a list of every button that has ever come your way - and I have no idea where most of them came from. Just imagine if you looked in your wallet and could tell the exact route every note and coin took from the mint to your pocket!

Still, it doesn't affect my interaction with the site, so I'll just wait and see what's going on.

Penny

I gathered that as well...

Ragtime Rachel's picture

...but the question still remains, "currency" for what? Books, for instance? DVDs? Now that would truly make me an enthusiastic participant here.

Livin' A Ragtime Life,
aufder.jpg

Rachel

Yes, you do get buttons for

Yes, you do get buttons for posting a story. Each post gives you 20 buttons, at least until last time I checked before I started to receive a message saying buttons are limited to a maximum and I need to spend some to be able to earn more.

I Thought

Button was slang for clitoris?

Sorry 'bout that!

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

No

No button there. Dang it.

Whatever buttons are

I've got a small stash. Other than bragging rights, I still wonder what they are for.

I've chatted with Angharad about Bike quite a while back, and she convinced me comments were the true currency. So as I have been slowly catching up on Bike I've left comments. Lots and lots of comments, and faithfully pushed her button, er kudos. Needless to say, it builds a nice stash of buttons quickly. Now if I knew what they were for.