E-Published? Which Company?

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

Subject: E-Published? Which Company?

With the advent of so many TG authors publishing their work on various ebook sites, I was wondering WHICH format people are moving toward...

Kindle ( Amazon ) has any authors whose names are part of our community, but less so over on Nook ( Barnes and Noble).

So if you have your work on one of these sites,( or another) let us know so we can support you that way, and if you could also tell us why you picked one format /system over the other?

Thanks in advance!
Sapphire

ps: if you can give any advice to those who want to go in that direction, in ADDITION to posting on line, please do so too!

Kindle

I currently have 6 works on the kindle and nowhere else.

The lineup (All Under Katie Leone)
God Bless the Child
Growing Up Jenny
Finding Jenny
Wrestling Against Myself
A Different Kind of Life
The Dress Punishment

I tried the other sites (Lulu and Smashwords) and they were infuriating. Formatting wasn't that hard, but if there was an error, there was little help. I've sold (or given away) thousands on the Kindle. I sold 2 through the other sites (after 3 months I quit with them)

The main reason I go with Kindle is that your works are much easier to find. With smashwords and Lulu I noticed that things didn't port over like your synopsis or author bio. Kind of hard to sell a book with just your cover. I also like the fact that I can do the kindle free days. It lets me expand my audience (I've given away 2500 copies of Wrestling Against Myself and still have 10 hours to go in my free time).

So advice. I just learned this, but it worked well. Write the book. Put it up for sale. Offer it chapter by chapter (or post by post depending on length) here. I did that with WAM and had 70 sales the first 2 weeks. Why? Because people don't want to wait for you to post (but don't go too small, I kept my post 5000-8000 words).

Second bit of advice. Concentrate on your cover and synopsis. If you can't do good artwork, go to fiverr.com All my covers are from there (in fact, from the same person "drew" from Idrewdesigns. There are other talented people but I liked him best. Also, a good synopsis is key.

Third bit of advice. Pricing. I price my epics (100k words or more) at 4.99 I think that is fair. If you go too high, people won't buy. If you go to low, people won't buy (they think you think the work isn't worth it. I finally have something novel length (70k words) I charged 2.99 because I wanted to offer something at a lower price break. And I put a short story and charged a dollar. (Note: If it is a short story, put the word count. People don't want to feel cheated. If it's 5000 words, say so and avoid being slammed.)

Fourth. Advertise. Not only do I announce my work here, but I belong to several TG sites and support groups. Though I don't post on FM, I let them know a book is available. I'm also active on Facebook.

Fifth (and should be first). Produce quality. You have some leniency on the site to get away with typos and bad grammar, but when you sell, people get upset (unless you write an awesome story). Send it out to others to edit. No matter how much you try, you can't catch everything.

Hope this helps. Any more questions- message me or email [email protected]

Katie Leone (Katie-Leone.com)

Writing is what you do when you put pen to paper, being an author is what you do when you bring words to life

I'm on KIndle

mostly cause that's the one Kylie chose for me.

DogSig.png

I too am on Kindle

My only book is on Kindle and probably doesn't get the reads it should because it isn't listed under the trans listing. Adventure and women heroines. The Book is "Assassin" by Richard Carlson. It has three five star ratings and one three. I hope you'll take the time to read the free sample, Arecee

eBooks......published

Tanya Allan's picture

Hi
I have used SMASHWORDS for one book, and might well put the rest up there eventually. However, SMASHWORDS are far more finicky about formatting, and I have the KINDLE system off pat now.

I use Amazon Kindle because the system is simple and easy to use. The royalties are pretty good and paid straight into my UK bank, or by US Dollar check which I have to place into my US Dollar account in the UK.
SMASHWORDS pay via PAYPAL.

I have the following on Amazon Kindle MY PAGE
A Chance Would be a Fine Thing (Book 1 The Knox Journals)
A Fairy’s Tale
Amber Alert
Behind The Enemy (Book 1 Louisa Anderson’s Story)
Beginning’s End (Book 2 Louisa Anderson’s Story)
Dragons & Stuff!
Emma*
Every Little Girl’s Dream
Flight or Fight
Fortune’s Soldier
Gruesome Tuesday*
In Plain Sight*
Marine I: Agent of Time*
Modern Masquerade
Monique*
Queen of Hearts*
Ring the Change
Shit Happens – so do Miracles*
Skin*
Tango Golf: Cop with a Difference
The Candy Cane Club
The Hard Way*
The Other Side of Dreams
There’s No Such Thing as a Super Hero
The Summer Job & Other Stories
To Fight For a Dream*
Twisted Dreams*
Weird Wednesday*
When Fortune Smiles
Whispers in the Mind*
Whispers in the Soul*

*Paperbacks can be found here: FEED-A-READ

I would be willing to use any system if it is user friendly and doesn't charge a lot. The more the merrier! I want to write, not spend a lot of time formatting documents. I also don't want to pay out unnecessarily for others to do that for me.

Tanya

There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes!

oh, I forgot....

Tanya Allan's picture

... to mention....

Kindle is far better at sales. I have given away a few hundred through their select promotion scheme... which I shall not use again..(Waste of time!) But, and more importantly... I have sold over 12,700 books on Kindle in under two years. Other versions on SMASHWORDS have only sold ten to fifteen copies...

... I rest my case

Tanya

There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes!

Kindle

I would follow Tanya as Amazon has th market covered bettern than look at how many she has sold also. Barnes and Noble I would be a little scuared of them as the are closing there stores and there unit is not the popular one out there Kindle is the most popular reader and they have a virgin avail for PCs to use that is free. I know as I have been using it for almost a year now. I also have bought almost all of Tanyas stories too on Kindle!

Richard

Nook vs Kindle vs iPhone/iPad

Piper's picture

While the Kindle is very popular, I hate to admit it, but the iPhone is probably the MOST popular eReader. I prefer BN/Nook to the Amazon/Kindle but I own both. I also have the Free PC/MAc applications for Kindle and Nook content, and the Android Applications. They also both have iPhone Applications. But Apple and Google are both making an attempt to go after book readers directly. There is a reason that the iTunes Bookstore was the FIRST new application developed for the iPad :)

"She was like a butterfly, full of color and vibrancy when she chose to open her wings, yet hardly visible when she closed them."
— Geraldine Brooks

Galaxy

While I have an old Mark 1 Mod. 0 Nook, I do my reading mostly on my Galaxy Tab, using the Kindle for Android app. Or I may use my HTC Vivid phone, which also runs on Android and uses the same app. Having both readers (Kindle and Nook) on my Tab means I don't have to fire up that clunky Nook or shell out nonexistent money for a new reader.

My Tab also serves as my webbrowser much of the time, as long as I'm in the range of my wifi. Great for reading in bed, and the 10" screen means I can read with my glasses off! ;-)

"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin