Where did the delete button go?

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

In order to rework one of my serials, I want to delete some chapters before dropping in the new ones.

A search turned up some posts that mention a "delete" button -- which I can't find. I did click Edit, but there isn't any delete button there.

I do realize that I can edit the stories on the existing pages, but that will turn the comments into nonsense.

Kaleigh

Delete button

erin's picture

Delete exists only for comments. I don't like having story deletes available because people get upset and want something deleted then it is a pain in the butt to restore them if they even admit to changing their mind and asking me to do so.

If you want something deleted, ask me and I will unpub. That way it is still there and you aren't permanently deleting comments that someone has made, too, which is also something that can be regretted. There has never been a story delete button on BC except for a short time years ago.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

oh dear

Thanks for answering so quickly, Erin, but I guess I will just edit in place -- I don't want to be giving you more work.

Kaleigh

In the larger sense...

Puddintane's picture

...this is the Internet, and ghosts linger forever. Anything publicly available at any time can be and likely *has* been copied somewhere. There are several competitors for the Internet Archive that I know of, and they all capture random snapshots of almost everything. That's not even including the US NSA – which captures snapshots of many things which don't even exist... yet – and individuals, who capture whatever they please.

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

My dossier

I kind of wish that any sort of records about me were in a dossier (which is a fancy way of saying "manila folder"),
with random passages highlighted in black: not NSA'd into a huge random pile.

I sugest.

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

When you are done editing, that you add something like " - Revised" to the end of the title. And ask Erin to bump the new version back up to the front page.

Thanks, but...

I really had something quite different in mind.

It was something I wanted to do myself,
knocking out the old and putting in something new,
blowing away all the comments and all the old air,

I dunno -- I didn't want to ask for help, or for things
to go away but not really go away.

Honestly this knocks the wind out of my sails,
but I'll figure something out.

But anyway... none of this really matters. I'm just whining.

Kaleigh

Now I will have to reread all of your stories :-(

While they are available... So many good stories died before I had chance to read them.
Don't repeat that felony! Keep the stories, publish new version as "revised". Please?!! (Insert puppy dog eyes here)

Don't worry

Your comment is really nice. I won't blow them away.

But I do revise a fair amount. Nothing major, but when I'm reading and see something
that doesn't work, I fix it. I do want to do a radical rewrite Madonna of the Future,
but the others are pretty safe.

Hugs,

Kaleigh

And I thought that MoTF is very good...

I will get to it soon :-) Already through half of the "rules are rules".
Only thing it needs actually corrected is that last line promised new chapter. :-) 20 months ago.
Only way to correct it I see is to write that chapter :-)

Idea

shiinaai's picture

Hum, this gave me an idea. Like you, I have been quite embarrassed by my earlier stories, (hint: half-lilin original) I recently felt that the story was childish, reflecting my own immature mind back then. I've always wanted to edit it, but I worry that people would remember the old one and didn't notice the difference. Maybe I should make a revision instead.

I think if you don't like your old stories, there's nothing wrong with making a revision. Not sure which story you pointing at, but everyone sucks when they just started :P No offense.