Where are the rules?

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

The layout of this site is a little annoying. Like, you call these FAQs? This is a help forum, not FAQs. "FAQs" means "Frequently Asked Questions," and is supposed to be written by the site owners/moderators. I clicked on FAQs hoping to find the rules and stuff. I can't find the rules anywhere, I need to know what's allowed and what isn't. So if someone could point me at the site rules, that would be great. I would really appreciate it.

Okay, so that's it? Be nice

Okay, so that's it? Be nice and give people the benefit of the doubt? I can do that. But are you telling me that anything legal goes? (And I assume that means anything legal in the US?) So sex stories, even involving minors with adults, are allowed?

Warnings

There are Warnings that should be included for anything that you might to warn people about (rape, incest, sex, boys, etc.). Other than those, which are for the readers to know about the stories, I believe anything legal within the US is OK.

(If you know something that would be illegal to be viewed in a country you would expect visitors here to be from, then you should probably stick one of those warnings on the story or post.)

Rules?

Erin has them laid out on the top right, and they are summed up in the sub-heading: a friendly place. Anything is allowed here, within reason, but don't feel free to get personal with other members. The main thing is to warn people what your stuff is about.

I am writing two novels at the moment. In one of them, a man gets shot in the throat in the latest chapter, so I gave a warning. In another of my books, 'Sweat and Tears', there is some pretty graphic description of the repeated rape of a young boy.

Erin has already replied at length about your 'categories' question, so my suggestion is that you explain what you want to offer us. There are all sorts of things posted here. I tend to stick to 'real world' writing; others want retconned superhero stuff. Each of us reads what we choose.

Erin has them laid out on the

Erin has them laid out on the top right, and they are summed up in the sub-heading: a friendly place

Top right of what? The first I saw of those rules was when Erin replied to my post with links. I can't find anything else on the site that even suggests what the rules are.

Let me just take this moment to apologize if anything I've said or will said sounds rude, rudeness is not my intent, I'm just confused and frankly a wee bit frustrated that the rules aren't clearly marked anywhere.

In another of my books, 'Sweat and Tears', there is some pretty graphic description of the repeated rape of a young boy.

Oh okay. So this site is a lot cooler than, say, storiesonline.net. Neat.

Erin has already replied at length about your 'categories' question, so my suggestion is that you explain what you want to offer us.very confused right now.)

Anyway, I write primarily asexual romance stories involving relationships between adults and children. Or rather, that describes my primary series right now. Though that series is going to probably have sex at some point. The child character in it is 8 currently. The adult is a trans woman, and well... Iris, the child character, is a... well I guess "female-identifying hermaphrodite" is the best word for her.

I have a prequel to that series, too, that has sex in it between the adult character of the other series, and her sister. (Both are trans women.) Both series are SciFi.

Also, who is Erin? EDIT: Wait, never mind on that one.

There is a third rule: It's not about you.

erin's picture

You, meaning whoever. Don't take anything happening on site too seriously. It's not about you. Most people's lives actually have very little to do with you. :) Or me for that matter.

Fewer rules mean more freedom. There are a few other rules but I keep them to a minimum, usually situations can be decided on the basis of Rule One or Rule Two.

There's a Rule Zero, too; this is the digital age. :) The stories belong to the authors and comments on the stories, being attached to them, are controlled by the authors, too.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Rule 5B

Andrea Lena's picture

When registering as an author for the first time, be sure to declare if you are Canadian. Kudos for authors from Canada will convert to 1.06 kudos or whatever is the going rate of exchange at the time of publication. Okay... I made that up.

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Site functionality comment for Erin or Piper

Jill Johnson's picture

Erin,
Since my account seems to be limited in some way,, e.g. Access Denied whenever I attempt to use your link to report problems to you, no Blog or Messages in my right hand panel below my name, and no ability to create or send PM to any one, even at the end of stories, I am hoping you will see this reply and unlock it, if that is the issue, or otherwise enable my account. I spoke with a friend who has a BC account and I am apparently lacking some basic buttons/links in the set of links between my login name and the logout button.
Sorry to communicate this way in this thread but I have exhausted all other avenues short of asking my friend to send you a PM on my behalf.
Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

Jill

allowed

all stories are allowed, accepted by the masses is another question all together

Creepy

Sex between kids & adults is just plain creepy and just should not be written anywhere so please don't do it

Calcified brain

Jill Johnson's picture

I have to agree that the FAQs appear to be user generated and not instructional guidance as is the norm in most places. Also not easily searchable. I also see warnings that suggest that no new FAQs can be posted and that forums are closed but it is apparent that this is not true. I just can't figure out how to do it. This leaves me with only the option of replying to an entry and praying someone will read it and throw me a line. I am pretty patient and persistent but apparently am either suffering from old timers disease or I have made an assumption I shouldn't have. I have a suspicion that if I log off and reboot and log back in at least one of these issues will resolve itself.

For example,
1. where would I find advice on how to start my own blog? Or do I need to be an author in order to do so?
2. Also, I seem to have lost the ability to sent an author or commenter a PM.
3. For newbies trying to post a story is there someplace that lays it out? I feel like I am wandering aimlessly trying to get this answered and everyone has advice but no formal structure.
4. Finally, I am just curious on the various websites. All seem to have slightly different features and report different data, e.g. Users online, guests, etc. I am referring to http://cdn.qnez.net and http://direct.bigclosetr.us and http://bigclosetr.us for example.

That's why I dye my hair.

Jill