I'm Indecisive

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

I have completed what is my longest TG novel and I can’t make up my mind to post it or not. I usually don’t think about whether or not to publish but this one is different.

The storyline is vastly different — set in American Old West (which I know nothing about) so there’s another added element to generate nervousness.

No one can help me, I’m just waffling in an indecisive stupor. *sigh*

POST IT GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Or, send it to me, I will gladly read it and let you know what I think. Well, if that is worth anything, what I think anyway. Giggle, giggle.

If it helps I have loved all your other stories Carmenica, we did communicate before, I guess we should again. That is before life and reality make me vanish again. I hope not! But, life has a way of making me vanish at times.

Huggles
Angel

Be yourself, so easy to say, so hard to live.

"Be Your-Self, So Easy to Say, So Hard to Live!"

Please post it

erin's picture

I do enjoy your writing, sometimes even in spite of my own taste in stories. :) By that I mean, even if the storyline does not particularly appeal to me, you have a way with words and storytelling.

Go for it.

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Same indecisiveness

I've been through this same decision. If you would like an outside opinion, send your manuscript to me at [email protected] and I will give you an unvarnished opinion. As an old trans"W"estite, I might catch one or two things in the process.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Just like...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... Jill and Angel, I would be happy to read and comment on your story before you post.

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

Old West

A lot of stuff writen about the Old West is inaccurate anyway. And this IS fiction. I have read several of your stories and enjoyed them all. You have a way with words, so you might as well post it. People will enjoy it, even if it is a bit inaccurate.

To Post or not to Post.....

Carmenica,
Just do it ! It is obvious that you have a great many loyal fans out there waiting for anything you decide to post. Many of them , including myself would be prepared to preview your story if that were helpful. I think I have copies of all your TG work and I am enthralled by it.

Holiday speeches flowing with a wet finger.
HUGS,
Sir Earle

Holiday speeches flowing with a wet finger.
HUGS,
Sir Earle

Well Depends ....

I love your TG stuff ( sorry but I am personally not into the D&S stuff, but hey, whatever floats a person's boat *shrug*. )

Is it a matter of whether you think it will sell ? If so, go ahead and put out a thumbnail sketch and/or sample chapters. If the response is positive, go ahead, publish, get the money and then release it if you like after a suitable period of selling. I've bought your stuff before you have released it before ( 'Second Chance' )

Alternatively, if you can, use Lulu and get the email of
people who have bought from you and ask them if they would like to receive a snippet or a single chapter, whatever.

Kim

chapter, synopsis etc.

The Old West?

Carmenica,
According to "Reluctant Press" which publishes all of those sissy stories with the cheesy black line drawings for pennies a line to the author (my opinion), the "Old West" genre is seldom a success and evidently very difficult to make a story of. It is a totally male bastion and the author's, well, women were merely prostitutes or ancillary characters. It is hard to imagine what a male posing as a female could be but if you have that "babe" bring her on! It would be ground breaking and that is always so cool!

Gwen

Gwen Lavyril

Gwen Lavyril

Thanks for your replies

I'm still tinkeirng with it - it's over 400 pages in small type!
Groundbreaking, Gwen? Now, I'm really nervous! *smile*
I'll post the first part here and invite comments when I've decdied to let it go - possibly next week.
Kim - good point, I may do just that.
Thanks to Sir Earle,Stacy,Jezzi, Jill, Angel & Erin - for the encouraging words

Good news

erin's picture

Looking forward to seeing it. :)

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Publish and be

damned as the Duke of Wellington said. What more authorative advice could there be? Particularly in your case where there isn't the slightest possibility of damnation.

With your writing ability there is bound to be praise a plenty. Your only problem will be in trying to determine whether people are just concentrating on that in order to cloak any reservations they may have as to the subject matter or your lack of expertise therein.

But you will never know until you try. And remember the bit about treating those two imposters, triumph and disaster both the same?

So go on! Post.

And the best of luck. Not that I think for a moment you will need it. :)

Hugs,

Fleurie

Fleurie

You must be joking

Elizabeth Grey is a TG classic, and very well written indeed. It wasn't my "thing," but it held my interest. If you're worried about the American West genre, well, I'm sure you'll get feedback! :) But that's no reason to hold back.

Danged if I know how a CD story in the ol' West is gonna work out, but I'd be interested enough to keep an eyeball out for it.

Aardvark

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."

Mahatma Gandhi

Aardvark, should be publishi

Aardvark, should be publishing it within a week or two if I can let it go! 412 pages in 10 sized font! Don't want to divide it into two volumes as there is not a natural point in the story to do so.
Received good feedback from my editor and trust her opinion so feeling a little better about it.*smile*
Actually feel this is better than Liz - totally different for a start.
When ready (when I'm brave enough) I'll post the first chapter (prologue really) here for first comments.

I'll be waiting

I'll be waiting to see how you handle it, Carmenica. I'm sure you'll do an excellent job.

Aardvark

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."

Mahatma Gandhi

Publishing

Book will be published after Easter (still being edited - it's huge!) and will publish some here as I said. Friends that have read it have certainly given me confidence. Thanks everyone.
Carmenica

Glad to hear it

Jenny Walker's picture

Yee-ha!

(I believe this is the appropriate contextual response)

;)

Jenny

A tuff nugget? :)

Carmenica you have me curious. I find the old west a rather filthy looking place with few comforts, ugly women, and precious little to accomadate the average "girl" who seems to expect her role to yield protection and favor, among other things. If the work is a "transformation" thing then it's a slam dunk but a guy corseted and in "prairy drag", well, lord have mercy! LOL!

Gwen

Gwen Lavyril

Gwen Lavyril

Classic Old West Carmencia ?

Hmmm. I can imagine Carmencia's Character as Clint Eastwood. Except that this would be the "Dame with No Name." : )

Sephrena Miller