BoTC and other "add to story" type stories FAQ

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

After submitting a few BoTC stories here and searching around for answers, I think there needs to be a detailed BoTC or "you-add-to-the-story" type F.A.Q. thread.

My first question, and the one that I need answered most before adding another BoTC chapter sequel is:

1. Q: What is the process for adding sequels to particular "you-add-to-the-story" chapters or are these stories supposed to be strictly in one single linear fashion (i.e. Author-A adds chapter 1 and chapter 2, then Author-B adds chapter 3, and now Author-A is forced to write chapter 4 and can not go back and write their own chapter 3... or how does this work?) ?

I've tried adding sequels to a particular chapter but if you go and click the "back" links and "forward" links from them you wind up in entirely different chapters than the one(s) I intended to follow. So how does this work exactly? Is it not like the "choose-your-own-adventure" type stories? Or is it basically a forced collaboration of sequential chapters that you must stick to and not branch off onto your own silly ideas apart from other authors?

BOTC answers

erin's picture

You add the stories, I'll try to figure out how to make the links work. :)

When you're in one of the story-tree stories, there's a map up in the upper left corner of the screen to most of the stories.

There are NO restrictions on which stories you can add to. You can even start a new tree if you want.

I may have to resort to DRAWING a story tree with links, but I had thought the software I'm using would allow it, alas it breaks down after nesting goes five deep. Still working on it, so keep writing! :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Thanks. I'll try again. It ha

Thanks. I'll try again. It hadn't worked the first time and now there's another story at the end of where I had left off, so not sure what happens if I add my own thread/sequel from that point (i.e. if it'll link to mine or remained linked to whoever got the sequel first) but I'll try it and see.