Comments and Site Policy

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

I've unpubbed comments today that basically attacked the story premise. Those are not critiques, they are just complaints, exactly the same as if someone wrote that they disliked a story because it had transgender elements or was written in English.

If a story is not to your taste because of the story premises, please do not post public complaints or rants. It's rude, pointless and against site policy.

Hugs to all,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

I Wasn't Involved, BUT. . . .

It's okay to think a baby is the ugliest mutt you've ever seen; it's just not a good idea to tell the mother what you're thinking.

If you don't like a story's premise, move on to a different story. With nearly 10,000 to read, you can be sure there's something you will like.

Or, you can read one of my stories and leave whatever kind of comment you would like. I will consider the source. In my book, if you don't like my stories you must be an idiot -- and who cares what an idiot says?

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

"not a good idea to tell the

"not a good idea to tell the mother what you're thinking"

Been there, did that, still trying to live it down. It's only been 33 years so it's still early...

About story comments, I was raised by the standard of "if you can't say something nice, keep your mouth shut." If someone doesn't like what they are reading, go read something else. Don't beat on the author because she wrote something you don't like. Tell her if she's doing something wrong, like using the wrong word for an action. I myself hate people using "drug" or "drugged" to describe the act of physically moving an object. It's drag, dragging, or dragged, I will drag the tree, I am dragging the tree, They dragged the tree out of the forest early in the morning. Or my favourite... past and passed! *shriek!* Two totally different words that have almost no connection at all, but that I see people using wrong all the time!

Sorry, I'm starting to rant. Time to shut up.

Final thought. If a comment isn't constructive or helpful, or at least nice, why are you making it? If it's only to make yourself feel good, that's fine as long as it makes the person who put their energy into writing the story feel good. If it's just to say you think that baby is ugly, then... don't say it.

Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue

I'd Like To Think...

_...that there's a place for critical comments regarding a story premise.

For example when a plot premise is not only preposterous, but internally inconsistent to the point where it's very difficult to "buy". Or, in obvious conflicts with known facts that would affect that story's setting. Perhaps an author doesn't understand basic anatomy, and has based a plot on a misconception that's obvious to the average reader. It would seem to me valid to point out which part of it didn't seem to fit with the rest.

Obviously, none of this applies to extraterrestrials, mutants, or fantasy beings. The sky is the limit on those, so to speak. If you want a planet with a blue sun and red grass, or hermaphroditic sentient beings with six limbs, go for it. But, if you're depicting what purports to be our world, people might notice if you misdescribe some essential facet of it.

If a story is otherwise internally consistent, but just indulges in a story sub-genre that the reader doesn't enjoy, then I agree with you, with one caveat. I do think people should make an effort to tag their stories with appropriate labels so their audience can self-select.

Well, thank the Gods for the keyword tags at the top

It helps get through the decision tree of READ or PASS very quickly. Myself, in real life I love Sci-Fi on TV or the movies, on here it is rare I will read anything with a keyword tag of MAGIC in it, not always but all too often means author was too lazy to develope a believable premise for the change... "I was pissed on by a green frog and woke up the next morning with double D's and my undies were vacant" yes, thats harsh and critical but part of my enjoyment is whatever gear grinding went on in the author's head to come up with something interesting and different than the other 10,000 stories here that are basically trying to tell the same simple story line. It never ceases to amaze me how creative you gals are and sometimes I am in awe. How does Angharad do it every day? She also manages to sneak in a comment now and then about current events, politics, religion and good social behavior, who needs the morning paper when we have Bike? And "The Legend of Alfhildr"...wow, that was original.

Magic Themes Can Work

As always, whether a story works or not depends on the skill of the author. Whether it's real-world, scifi, fantasy, or magic, a story can be horribly written, or a work of art.

One of the things you must realize is that there are a lot of beginning writers here. Until they find a venue like this that is interested in what they might have to write about, they haven't been motivated to try before. As such, you'll see a lot of clumsy attempts and unskilled authors. Many of these will improve over time. Some never will. Obviously, if feedback is discouraged, it makes it harder for an author to learn what works and what doesn't, and why. There can be a fine line between discouraging an author and encouraging them to improve, but a lot of this is up to the author, I think. Hypersensitivity doesn't serve anyone well.

When I see the skill and craft with which some of the better authors here write, I am in awe. There are authors here who could tackle any theme or sub-genre, whether or not it essentially appeals to me, and I would read them anyway.

But, but...

A green frog will only give you C cups. If you want double-dang mammaries, you need a blue frog.

I happen to love science fiction, and have (not so recently) started reading fantasy. It's the 'real world' stories that I tend to pass -- except I keep seeing so many good ones like Bike, Eve, Susie and Jeffrey, and a whole bunch more.

As for fantasy, what would we do without the three hellions? I shutter to think what would happen if they got together, then the authors write a story about it.

I know, who ever heard of a fog

laika's picture

(of whatever color) that can change your sex?! Not like my highly scientific story about The Feminizer Bunny. He's this pink (naturally) toy rabbit beating a drum, and he looks pretty darn harmless, but when the pink arc lightning from between his ears leaps out and zaps you, you're instantly turned into a buxom blonde bimbo. Sometimes he just zaps the powerlines leading into a town, and you hear a collective high pitched scream from the direction of the transformed city. He has a force field, so not even the Northrop flying wing carrying the H-bomb, or the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch (which usually makes short work of troublesome bunnies...) can stop him! The last remaining men on earth barricade themselves inside strip clubs and other such bastions of maleness, but he can teleport. He just keeps coming ........ and coming...
(No. That one's so stupid even I balk at it. But if anyone wants it, it's theirs.)

Myself I'm really enjoying The Green Fog. These kind of End of the World are really about the breakdown of civilization and being on your own, a pioneer in an urban wilderness. An excuse. A lot of J.G. Ballards early works explored this theme. A radical climate change, a "wind from nowhere", or the sub-atomic virus of The Crystal World, the message I think being that the human race is far more vulnerable than it would like to believe. Sue's Green Fog hasn't been explained yet, and when it is I hope it'll be something I'll find plausible (an airborn infusion of nanomachines, nanites are always good for TG transformations!), but if not I'll still have enjoyed the survivalist adventure saga elements.
~~~hugs, Laika

Explanation

Sadly, it was my comment that elicited this response, apparently. So to clarify things up, I did not intend to attack the story premise - since I greatly enjoyed the story in question - but to point out the fallacies of the characters and their actions.

Since it did not have the effect I anticipated, I would like to give my sincere apologies to anyone offended.

Faraway

On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway

Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

So, YOU'RE the evil Bi...ch!

LOL, booo hissssss! :)(not serious)
You were probably trying to be informative and helpful and it did not come across as such.
Corrections to factual data and history, technical adjustments and constructive criticism are all quite legitimate input to give any writer, it's not necessarily negative input. I don't know where to draw the line so I often say nothing rather than ruin someone's fragile day.
Okay, there was the story with the precise measurements to each and every item mentioned in it. I saw humor in it because being a geek myself I could see me making that error when I was younger. Its easy for us to (non-writers)to sit back and armchair critique someone elses efforts, it costs us nothing. I applaud those who do write and post on here, any genre, any premise, even magic and sci-fi, sequins, chiffon and salon scenes, hard core forced fem etc. At least they are doing it and with some gentle feedback the newbees and even some of the older ones will become better at their craft.
I suspect many of us do not or cannot afford to contribute $$$ to this site, contributions are voluntary. We get an amazing amount of meaningful entertainment on a daily basis for free.

Darling, I'll have you know

I'm considering myself male, and my genetic makeup backs me up! ;)
Actually, yes, you hit the nail practically on the head - I was providing an observation on a way a chain of events in story - the one on which plot hinges - could be interpreted. And it apparently came out wrong - I think because I considered my intentions and feelings self-evident and did not bother to provide a foreword explaining them. Then again, it was already half past eleven PM for me. I blame sleep deprivation!

Faraway

Big Closet Top Shelf

Faraway

Big Closet Top Shelf

Ooops, talk about a slip

Ok, SO YOU'RE the Evil Bast.... !
Feel better now? :)

One of the pitfalls of electronic media is it takes nothing to whip a quip off to someone without feeling it through, quite often on the other end it is wide open for interpretation. Emoticons, LOL's and animal noises may help (or irritate the piss out of some).
You often hear people bemoaning the lost days of writing letters, the deep level of communication that we have lost? What was it so precious about putting ink to paper -VS- electronic media that loses all conveyance of true emotion, good manners, mutual respect and good social practice?

I think

They bemoan the ability to practice handwriting and calligraphy. Not to mention amateurish analysis of the writing manner! ;)
And you are right, my comment was open to interpretation - I never made explanations.
Also, yeah, I do feel better now, especially since Erin contacted me and explained what was her reason - and I can live with it because I'm not actually to blame.

Faraway

Big Closet Top Shelf

Faraway

Big Closet Top Shelf