Just a question about server speed etc.

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Hi, CanadianBoy here, love the site, come here daily to check it out since I found it.

Something I noticed last month is becoming more blatant lately. In the daytime/evening, when I usually came here then, I attributed the rather painfully slow access to high traffic.
Now that I work late evenings and get off at midnight (I'm posting this at 3:30am my time), I find that the service is even slower. Like, half a minute to access what are basically just text pages with a bit of background color.
Is it a referrer/programming issue? Like, perhaps, the text all loads fast but the logo is stored on photobucket?
Or is it strictly server speed?
The former I probably can't help with, I'm really not much of a programmer. But can you perhaps make public what the cost would be to buy you a server that would allow the kind of speed that simple text (with minimal graphics) should allow?

I want to contribute to the fund that you do have listed on the main page. But if it would only go to server/rack-space use and bit transfer, nothing will ever get faster.
Can you put a spot where a guy could give money towards a nice blistering-fast server?
Thanks!

WYSIWYG!

CanadianBoy, a disclaimer here, I'm only speaking for myself, I have no connection with BC except as an avid reader and sometimes author.

Erin does the best she can, but I don't see any way for her to upgrade the system if she can't make the current expenses. We all need to chip in and help her with the normal day-to-day costs of keeping BC alive, and I'm as negligent as anybody else in failing to contribute my fair share.

Wanting a faster service here reminds me of the episode of M*A*S*H, where the orphanage director tells Winchester something to the effect, "Should we give them dessert when they've had no dinner?" Should we raise funds for a faster server when Erin needs our help just keeping the current one on-line?

Just my two cents.

Karen J.

"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Server Speed

erin's picture

Can't get a much faster server, this one is a Dual Xeon 3.0 HT. The problem is really that I need a software upgrade I haven't done yet. I'm running a CMS software that stores everything in a database, it's the database accesses that are slowing things down. Bob and I are working on it.

For a week there, the Gallery was sharing the same server and there was no real slowdown except at peak so the server is fast enough, the software is slow.

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.