It Takes More Than One Good Character To Make A Good Story

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

Yet another pseudo-writing rant of mine, but it's been bothering me for a couple of days now, so I gotta get it out.

I am a big fan of cartoons and, really, film aimed at a younger audience in general. It might seem like an odd choice considering that my other favorite category is monster movies, but the two of them share a playful, imaginative, and often simple and wondrous quality that I find endearing.

One movie I've been waiting for the right time to watch if a Pixar release from a few years back, "Up." I've heard many reviews saying the movie was good -- as to be expected from a studio like Pixar -- but on the sad side as well. Consequently, I've been holding off on actually watching it despite having it on DVD.

Well, the other day I finally sat down and put it in, watching it from beginning to end. The movie starts wonderfully, introducing the characters of Ellie and Carl and leading you through a wonderful montage showing their life together. It covers maybe the first ten minutes of the movie, but in that time you come to care for the characters deeply.

*SPOILERS BELOW*

With so much thought put into this opening section, it truly breaks your heart when Ellie dies, and Carl's life begins to disintegrate around him. Being a kid's movie, though, that's about the time they introduce the plucky sidekick, along for comic relief, right?

Unfortunately, in this case, all we get is an annoying little kid who does little if anything to endear himself to the audience.

From there, the movie is almost all downhill, with the child's constant whining being only intermittently broken by bits of humor or poignant emotion from Carl's lingering attachment to mementos from his wife and their life together. The introduction of two animal companions who were doubtless meant to ease the atmosphere of the film -- the talking dog "Dug" and the colorful emu-like "Kevin" -- does little to make the child more likable, and by the end of the movie I found myself crying in frustration for Carl, who loses everything he owned, everything to remind him of his wife, all for the wellbeing of an unlikable brat who does nothing but cause him trouble from beginning to end.

Following all that, of course, is the closing of the movie, where we are supposed to be inspired by the fact that Carl has somehow grown attached to the little imp at his side, and is stuck living in a nursing home while doting on the brat who cost him everything.

The movie was, to put it lightly, a huge letdown to me.

The reasons for this are due in large part to what strike me as fundamental missteps in the movie's writing; namely, that the writers neglected to try to make most of the cast likable.

Carl, as the story's core protagonist, is an amazing character. While the previews for the film represent him as a crotchety old man, the movie makes a solid effort from the start to make you see that he is in fact wonderfully caring. Each little idiosyncrasy of him, from his feeble movement to his expressive brows, lends to making him quite possibly one of my favorite Pixar characters to date. Ellie, despite having only a brief appearance in the film, is almost as fully fleshed out as her male counterpart. Both are given wonderful traits that fit perfectly with the ideal characteristics of a story's protagonist. Human, but strong. Not perfect, no, but charismatic in their own special ways that will draw you to them immensely.

Unfortunately, every other character in the movie lacks this same attention to detail. Russel, the eight-year-old sidekick, is the largest offender in the movie, with the animators trying to use cute animation to make up for a character who at his heart is shallow, nothing more than a collection of negative traits tied together with a passing attempt at pathos through the use of an absentee father. His actions cost Carl everything, and throughout the entire movie there is never any indication that Russel even realizes what he has done, never making any attempt to truly connect with Carl or consider the old man's feelings, or what consequences his actions might bring.

In fact, of all the side characters from the film, possibly the best portrayed -- and most likable -- is the film's secondary villain, a talking dog called "Alpha," whose speech mannerisms and often-broken speech collar give him enough quirks and character to stand out from the otherwise bland cast of characters.

The story of the movie was overall compelling, but the lack of care given to the characters within it ruined the effect for me, and left me feeling highly dissatisfied with the film's ending, which to me felt forced, as though throughout the whole film the main character had been railroaded to this ending with complete disregard for the actual events leading up to it.

This has caused me no end of torment over the last few days as I dwelled on the issue, and led me to where I have to say this:

When you write, think about not only the character you want central to the story, but those characters surrounding them. More to the point, think about how those characters' behaviors and personalities will be viewed by your readers. A strong central character is a must, to be sure, but without a compelling and, if not truly likable, then sympathetic cast of side characters, a strong central character is often not enough to carry a story on their own. Without that connection to your secondary or even tertiary characters, a story loses a good deal of verisimilitude, a feature that is very important to keep your readers drawn into the world you create.

A great example of fleshing out side characters can be seen in much of EoF's work here on the site, with the character of Mary being a wonderful way to show it. Throughout "For The Fairest," we are shown a side of her that is dark, yet compassionate, making her a strong ally to the main character and giving her character the depth needed to stand on her own.

In "Season of the Witch" we see another side to her, still dark, yet lacking that compassion and care that was present in "For The Fairest." Thus, she is represented as an antagonist, providing a counterpoint to Kelly's own often self-centered character. In both cases, however, she is given distinctive speech, and mannerisms, that define her character and give insight into she is beyond her merely serving as an interaction point for the main character.

This is what makes a good character, whether they be the main character or little more than window dressing. Those bits of personality beyond the simply described, even when presented in very small amounts, help to make a character much more dynamic and engaging, strengthening the entire story.

There ends my rant, for now.

Melanie E.

supporting characters (really co-protagonists, word I just did)

I completely agree with your comment. Another star in that area is Karin Bishop...just read XY axis (and Fool Moon) to see it in practice. Actually, most of my favorite authors create a group of well defined characters, not just one. You could also cite Robert A. Heinlein, too many examples to list here.

I never cared for that movie either.

For pretty much all of the same reasons. I really agreed on the people around a main character being important to the story. I try to go with an old tabletop roleplaying adage. "Npc's are people too."

Bailey Summers

WYSIWYG

I'm sorry the movie was a disappointment to you. I agree that you need more than one character to make a story work, you need at least two. More can be better, but not always.

I saw Russell as a horribly neglected kid who was trying to justify himself through 'good deeds'. His desperate need for love drives his obnoxious behavior.

Yes, Dug, the dog, is the fool (and the foil) of the piece, but the story needs both. Also, he is a mirror for Russell. Both are blundering around looking to find love and affection, in the wrong places and in the wrong ways.

The Dobie with the malfunctioning voice unit pokes fun at some authority figures, especially those who hold that might makes right. And, I see the bird as the embodiment of our hopes and dreams, the illusive goal we all chase, but can never possess.

And, we see the characters grow and change. Carl learns that adventure is where you find it. Dug and Russell find love, acceptance, and a home.

Does that count as a 'happily ever after'? I cried at the end... happy tears, mostly.

I think that this is why some stories appeal to us and others leave us cold. We bring our own feelings and perceptions into the story and sometimes look to see our individual expectations met. I've read stories that didn't appeal to me that have gotten rave comments. I've read others that I truly enjoyed that were kind of panned.

Again, I agree that crafting full bodied, believable characters is just as much a key element to a story as plot and good storytelling. That said, there will be stories that appeal to some of us and leave others cold.

Thanks for your observations.

Janet

Mistress of the Guild of Evil [Strawberry] Blonde Proofreaders
TracyHide.png

To be or not to be... ask Schrodinger's cat.

I can see where you're coming from

Though, from a personal viewpoint, that seems like an awful lot of symbolism and layers to have to dig through before getting to the creamy filling in the middle, aka the "feel good" point of the story. Having layers like that present in the story is something Pixar's always been good about, and is one of the reasons that their movies tend to appeal to adults as much as they do children, but the part that does typically appeal to children is the part I cherish, and that seemed to be missing from this particular picture.

On the other hand, it doesn't really help me like the characters any more, especially not Russel, who might be damaged and simply trying too hard, true, but to blindly disregard how his actions affected Carl seemed to me to be self-centered and obnoxious even for an eight-year-old in his situation.

Melanie E.

I have to disagree with you almost comletely

erin's picture

Your description of the kid in the story hardly matches my experience of the same character at all. It's almost as if you saw a different movie.

I applauded Pixar for having an ending that was not all sweetness and light; Carl lost a lot and Russell's friendship did not seem sufficient recompense but those are the kinds of tradeoffs people make all the time. I did not see Russell as a selfish brat at all but as a kid trying to do the best he could in a situation completely beyond his ability to cope.

It's not as if Carl didn't commit a few unlovable acts during the movie either; both characters grew and changed and that is one measure of good characterization. I loved the movie and consider it an excellent example of what Pixar does so well. It's not Toy Story but it was a good gripping story with characters that kept me engaged and caring about them all the way through.

Then again, I try never to go to a movie with any more expectations than I can manage which is why I avoid reviews of movies I intend to see.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Maybe I'm just weird

I can see Carl growing in the movie as a person. I can see Dug growing in the movie. Heck, I can even see Kevin growing.

For some reason, though -- I dunno, maybe I'm just not watching carefully enough -- I fail to see any growth in Russel, even toward the end. His character throughout the movie seems to serve no purpose other than to counter every move Carl tries to make at each and every turn, and never feels fleshed out enough to warrant how self-centered his actions seem to me.

Of course, I also grew up in a household where if a kid acted half as disrespectful as he acts throughout the movie they would be punished for it, as well as given the lecture as to why they should respect others. Seeing kids like that in real life bothers me enough -- seeing such actions and behavior almost glorified as it was in the film just added another level to my inability to stand the character, who consistently ignores the results his actions have on the world around him.

Without him there, I could see the movie being so much better. Carl making it to the waterfall, still finding his wife's note in the back of the book, and pursuing his own happiness without losing everything in the process, still growing as a character while not being subjected to the torture that was his experience trying to keep Russel from killing either himself or the pair of them through his rash and inconsiderate actions. Even the crazed explorer's actions were more understandable to me than the kid's, being born of desperation and cowardice more than any inherent cruelty.

Maybe I'm just not looking at it with the right point of view.

Melanie E.

Up

. . .as in "up"lifting.

My dear Melanie . . . can a movie based on the premise that several hundred helium balloons can life a house off its foundation be all bad? Consider the dozen or so empty helium tanks with a combined weight of a couple hundred pounds that had held the helium before it went into the balloons. Their lifting power had to be something less than that weight. However, also consider that balloons held him back all his life in his mundane job and now they would set him free!

I can see how you were let down by the movie. You love characters; and "Up" was more of a plot driven movie. (Didn't you at least feel some tie to a female bird named "Kevin".) "Kevin's a girl?"

I loved the movie from beginning to end. Carl owed a debt to the world for having squandered his wife's dreams. When Carl left the real world by lifting his house with balloons the story followed the classic format of a quest. Russell was the normal "helper" -- as was Dug. The story was complete with a villain and villain's helpers. It was Wizard of Oz done up in Pixar fashion with a pack of dogs instead of flying monkeys.

We were plainly taught that not all adventures, or adventurers, are good. But mainly we were taught that love outlives death.

I'm in my sixties. I like the fact that Pixar took the time to teach children that older people aren't really all that different or scary. it also dealt with a miscarriage, something you don't see in every children's movie.

I laughed. I cried. I bought the movie; and I watch it at last once a year. I find myself making Up references quite often. "Squirrel!" "Tents are hard. . ." The audience rating for Up on RT is 86. . .same as Sound of Music. HURRAY FOR CHRISTOPHER PLUMMER!

Jill

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

I do believe

... that I warned you that while I loved the movie, you wouldn't like it as much. :) I learned your tastes pretty well, and while I understand where you look at the movie and see it as frustrating, I have to agree with Jill and Erin and Janet that it was a great movie.

I also disagree that you MUST have more than one good character to make a story. But we've had THAT discussion before!