TG anime and manga 8

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

Every now and then the quality of a manga story is so compelling that I can't let go. The one I've mentioned most in the past is HOUROU MUSUKO which is still the most skillfully and sensitively plotted fiction in the TG manga field that I've read. While the drawings are not as flashy or adroit as the wizard and space ship genres I find their simplicity evocative in abundance.

HM is now well past sixty chapters and in the most recent episodes the junior high school hero(ines) are making basic decisions about their future gender lives. What I like is the detailed and minute-by-minute development of their thinking and experiences. The two lead characters, Shu Nitori (the boy) and Takatsuki-kun (the girl) have decided to dress the way they feel is right. The result is that Takatsuki's dressing in a boy's school uniform gets a few raised eyebrows from her pals and the teachers but little more. When Shu comes to school in a girl's sailor uniform and long-haired wig he is sent to the nurse's office and taken home by his parents. The interesting thing is that the story shows Shu consulting with friends before he does this, a junior high kid thinking through the issues and bravely acting on what he thinks is right. This is a good fictional account of how one kid starts down the path toward sorting out his or her own gender identity. Certainly a must read for those considering a change in their lives. Sorry, no sex.

A second one I follow is FAMILY COMPO or sometimes F. COMPO which is well-known to everybody in the TG field and continues to be one of the zaniest tales with a cast of TG characters from hesitant cross-dressers to the fully transitioned, each one more eccentric than the other.

My third favorite is NO BRA about a high school boy who suddenly has a male-to-female transitioning roommate and his personal struggle to keep from falling in love with the new addition to his household. Some sexy scenes though no outright sex acts.

Most of the other TG scenes I see are small parts of longer series involving wizards and the like and are entertaining but not serious.

While HM and the other two are carried on a variety of websites I have found that ONEMANGA requires the least number of computer skills to navigate.

Another Recommendation

terrynaut's picture

In my journeys through the Internet jungle, I stumbled upon another very nice little tg web comic called Girl in my Dream. The art is a bit inconsistent and rough at times but it's a wonderful offering from Korea.

A young boy has some trouble with girlfriends while at the same time, he ever so slowly becomes a girl. It's fascinating if you like slow transitions.

Anyway, you can find the web comic at the www.tgcomics.com website.

Most of the web comics there are smut but Girl in my Dream isn't smutty at all -- at least not so far. I don't expect it will ever be smutty.

- Terry

My personal favorite is

My personal favorite is "Otome Wa Boku Ni Koishiteru (all the maidens are falling in love with elder sister)" Parents and grandparents of boy die and he is ordered by grandfather's will to start attending an all-girls private school that his mother was at and as such has to crossdress and hide. There's a manga, but I've never seen it.

I fell in love with the artwork and the story is sweet and sentimental. There's a ghost too.
----
May the Stars Light Your Path
Maid Joy

TG Manga and Anime

Two summers back I remember having a sudden jump in interest towards TG fiction and other related works. As such, I ended up searching far and wide for manga and anime with a TG theme. So far I have way more then I can count, however among the top ones that stood out for me were Fushigi Yugi, Futaba-kun Change, Click, Ranma 1/2, After School Nightmare, Kasimasi: Girl meets Girl, The Day of Revolution (and it's spin-off Princess Princess), and of course Hourou Musuko.

While the majority of these works were very "slap-stick" there were quite a few that dealt with the serious sides of a gender switch. Most of the characters I remember watching weren't really "transitioning" by choice but instead underwent some sort of forced switch through magical (sometimes science based)transformations. However, the one character that stands out in my mind was Nuriko from Fushigi Yugi (by far one of my favourite characters).

Anyway... I totally rambled... my point is I don't think I've even come across "No Bra" but it sounds really interesting. I'll check it out! Also I do have a list of a few lesser known Manga and the places you can find them (such as Boy Alice in Wonderland) if anyone is interested. While I wouldn't read some of them twice there are quite a few that are worth checking out if you're in need of some reading material.

Thanks for the post =)

Kashimashi: Girl Meets Girl

terrynaut's picture

Kashimashi is my fave tg manga (5 volumes of awesome tg cuteness). It's so sweet! *sigh*

I have the Kashimashi anime too but I prefer the manga version.

As for No Bra. It's a hoot. I recommend it. You can easily find it on the onemanga site under the gender bender category.

- Terry

Thanks for The Comments

Top Shelf people are always on the ball or at least working hard to get on. Your input always leads me to somewhere new.

I read the cartoon but so far don't get it. But then there are a lot of things in life I don't get.

marie c.

marie c.