The Day the Earth Stood Still: or Happy Alternative New Years

Printer-friendly version
Synopsis:

Another BigCloset TopShelf story.

Charlie was a middle-aged man with one great regret, that a wonderful woman he'd been friends with for years was not interested in him as a man. She moves cross-country to care for her ailing mother and Charlie is heartbroken. A new employee befriends Charlie who later makes an unselfish wish for his new friends happiness. Charlie finds he's been betrayed and has lost everything he ever dreamed of or has he? A story of the power of love and forgivenes.

Story:

The Day the Earth Stood Still:
or Happy Alternative New Years

This is not a fan fiction for the Whateley Academy series. This is my second entry in Erin’s holiday 2006 story contest at BC. This story has nothing to do with my Whateley stories what-so-ever -- honest! The flood of inventive short stories inspired, or was it shamed, me into trying my hand at one.
Your constructive criticism and advice does wonders. This is an exercise in the joys of creativity and in appreciation of the wonderful Whatel … in appreciation of Erin’s generous spirit in hosting this contest. Any violations of copyright, trademark or use of real people or incidents are purely for purposes of humor or parody and done solely for the free enjoyment of the reading public. All rights reserved in perpetuity, John from Wauwatosa WI, 2007.

Adult content advisory: this chapter may contain situations and topics unsuitable for children. It’s usually mild stuff, but you were warned. And if it didn’t have any, who would read this fluff, I mean, let’s be serious.

The Day the Earth Stood Still: or Happy Alternative New Years

By John from Wauwatosa
Rhetorical refinement by Itinerant
Adverb advocacy by Janet Nolan

-- Okay, so I *borrowed* the title, as James Cagney said in the film of the same name, “Never steal anything … small.” --

* * * *

“Acme Savings, how may I help you?”

“Charlie, I know of this great party tonight. It will be fun and I’d rather go with someone I can trust if I should drink.”

“Jules, a young stud like you can’t get a date? What about Paula in accounting? She’s single and a looker,” I suggested.

Jules was our new IT guru. Fresh out of college -- the ink on his MS still wet -- but skilled beyond his years, the bank was lucky to hire him. Jules knew his stuff and was infinitely patient with us *front line* peons who were constantly crashing the network -- not a good thing at a bank.

“Not my type and she’s seeing a guy. Let’s bach’ it tonight, we get along well, Charlie, please?”

“Okay. Jeese, sometimes I swear your whine like a woman.”

"Yeah, so? It got you to say yes. How do you think I swayed the board to purchase new printers for the tellers?” Jules asked then laughed.

* * * *
Jules was comfortable in his masculinity and would sometimes do the most outrageous things that no *red-blooded* man would dare, yet when he did it, it was manly. He served food at our company picnic in an apron, high heels and skirt on a dare from some of the office staff. He pulled it off magnificently.

Did I have to phrase things that way? It sounds like he stripped.~~

I, of course, gave him a hard time, but he laughed so heartily at my ribbing him, I felt nothing but admiration after.

~~Good grief! I’m a subliminal potty-mouth.~~

The bet paid off in sizable charitable contributions by the losers to the local children’s hospital. I threw in a couple fifties to make up for being a pest -- I’d been a bad boy. Despite my teasing, we got along great. I don’t think he had a lot of close male friends. As I was much older, we weren’t natural rivals so maybe that’s why we clicked. Hell, the man actually likes sci-fi and he wasn’t a geek!

* * * *

“Where’s the party?”

“At Tamara’s, it’s her annual Alternative New Years Eve party.”

“Jules, it’s the sixth of January!”

“That’s why it’s her *Alternative* New Years Eve party. You know Tamara and her sense of humor, Charlie, and she throws a great party.

“I said I was coming,” I replied a bit peeved.

“Sorry, I thought you were backing out on me, Charlie.”

We agreed on a time and place to meet since I would be his ride.

* * * *

To be fair, further information is required for you, the reader, to understand what happed that night. Tamara Doyne was a third-generation Scotch-Irish American and a free-spirit in the truest sense. She’d dye her hair odd colors on a whim, or wear the strangest costumes on Halloween. Once she was a Highlander complete with kilt, sporran, and strawberry Kool-Aid colored hair. She has a fiery temper and an equally intense love of life. I don’t know how or why, but her husband adores her. Oh, and she’s a Wiccan. I mean a real, serious follower of Wicca. We sometimes jokingly call her a witch, but she smiles and laughs quietly, as if she knows something we don’t.

* * * *

We arrived around eight and were soon greeted by Tamara, who was appropriately dressed in a tasteful hooker-witch outfit. It was outrageous, but it suited her personality.

“I thought this wasn’t a costume party,” I complained.

“It’s a come-as-you-desire party, Charlie. I thought this would liven things up. Coats go over there; the food gifts I’ll take. Oh my, six-year-old cheddar and a bottle of chardonnay. Thanks! Most of the beverages here are non-alcoholic, but I am serving some wine for those who wish a glass. For you, Charlie, I have something special,” she said.

I looked at Jules he shrugged and I looked back at Tamara.

“I know you’re the designated driver so you get a bottle of my homemade root beer. I brew it myself. This batch was made specially for tonight. It’s non-alcoholic, and I hope you find it agreeable,” she added.

Then she handed out golf pencils and a small slip of paper to each of us with a number in fancy hand calligraphy on each end. A line was scored across about a third of the way in from one end.

“On these I want you write your fondest wish, no matter how impossible. It may be a wish for yourself or you may use your wish for the sake of another. Only one wish per slip, boys!” she admonished us. “When you are done, tear off the stub end, fold the long piece three times and drop it into my cauldron, um, the large cast-iron kettle over there.”

“In the cauldron ... right Tamara. So, what happens then?” I asked.

“At midnight, I say a prayer over the cauldron, pull out a slip at random and grant the request, the Fates and Goddess willing,” she said smiling.

~~She’s an odd-ball but a kind one. All this effort for a party?~~

* * * *

There was a true smá¶rgá¥sbord of meats, cheeses, meatballs, mini-sausages, sauces, condiments, dip, chips, buns, bagels and baguettes. She had snack foods, coolers full of well-iced soda, and a small amount of wine, closely controlled by her husband so no one would over-indulge.

Jules and I each filled a sizable plate and we found a comfortable two-seater couch -- a love seat -- to sit down and eat. The coffee table in front of it was perfect to set our drinks on.

“This root beer is quite good,” I told Jules.

I was feeling unusually sociable, but I enjoyed the feeling. I was fast approaching middle age, single and never married. Never engaged, a vir … Um, you don’t need to know *that*. I was average in appearance and balding, though if I tried hard I could be very average. I was happy as a man, but shy around women, and rarely went on dates. A few bad experiences in high school and early college saw to that.

There was this petite woman I’d become friends with through a sci-fi club. Julie was more of a geek than I was, what with her degree in computer science, but had a clever and engaging mind. That was if you could keep up with it and her mile-a-minute way of speaking. She was also pixie cute and single. I’d tried to ask her out, but was politely shot down -- she wasn’t interested. I suspected my being six feet plus and well over 225 pounds intimidated her. Whatever the reason, I was devastated. I withdrew more from social occasions, though we remained friendly. Then her mother got ill, and Julie moved back to California to be with her. I didn’t even get to say goodbye.

I was lucky; my friends saw I was down and did what they could to cheer me up. I was crawling my way back to normality when I met Jules at a training seminar in the bank. He was new to the area and wondered if I knew of any local sci-fi clubs. He’d heard from the company grapevine I was an enthusiast. I mentioned a couple local groups and within weeks we were friends.

And, no, there was nothing between us. I was not interested in men, nor was he. Hell, he tried to set me up with dates. I refused at first, but he was insistent. I went on a couple dates with women he met at the title companies and mortgage brokerages we did business with. I had fun, but nothing clicked.

“Someone hurt you bad for you not to hit it off with Nicole, she’s a wonderful gal,” he said of the 40 something divorced woman I’d gone out with several times.

“Nicole’s a nice gal, but she’s not …”

“Not who?”

“I’ll tell you sometime. I fantasized about this one woman for two decades and when I finally asked her …”

“She said she wasn’t interested. I’m so sorry; unrequited love sucks. The only thing worse is knowing someone loves, you but you can’t love them back, even if you want to,” he said and sighed.

“That happened to you?”

“You wouldn’t believe it, but yes. I knew this great person who liked me, but I wasn’t attracted. A pity, we could have made beautiful children together.”

“Attraction is fickle thing. I’ve known girls with average looks who had that something extra that made them desirable to me. I’ve know gorgeous women who were like an ice-cold shower,” I said, nursing that remarkable root beer.

~~What’s in this? I don’t recognize half the flavors, but it’s good.~~

* * * *

We ate and talked. They stared playing videos, playing games, even billiards in a side parlor off the main living-dining room. Maybe it was all the people or the food, but I got sleepy and nodded off. I woke, my head on HIS shoulder!

“Ghod, Jules, I’m so sorry, I ... ah ...”

“You fell asleep, nothing more. I didn’t want to disturb you. A rested designated driver is a safe …”

“Funny, Jules, but thanks, I do feel better for the rest. Damn, I haven’t felt this good in some time. Thanks for bringing me.”

“My pleasure, I was about to wake you anyway. It’s almost midnight. Time for Tamara’s magic,” he said.

* * * *

She had us take out our stubs as she lit candles, burned incense, and chanted up a storm.

~~What a performance, Tamara. You sure know how to entertain your guests.~~

At the height of her act she thrust he hand in the cauldron and pulled out a slip.

“Mother of all, I beseech you; grant the wishes of the one who wrote upon this paper, number 61, if thou believe them worthy. So mote it be,” she exclaimed and the paper at her fingertips flashed into flame and was gone.

~~Damn, Tamara’s good. I’ll have to get her flowers or something to thank her at work. What a performance!~~

* * * *

The party wound down over the next couple hours and I took Jules home.

“Thanks for dragging me along, Jules. I had fun. If you were a woman, this would be the perfect evening,” I said half joking.

“Thinking of that girl again? You’ll find someone. She was a fool, Charlie. Good night,” he said and I drove home.

* * * *

That burst of energy I’d felt earlier was waning fast and being replaced by aches and pains. I felt feverish, and my right calf spasmed in a painful cramp.

“Ah, shit. I’ve got the flu. No wonder I felt great then like crap. I hope I feel well enough by Monday.”

I stripped to my underwear and went to bed, falling into a dreamless sleep.

* * * *

I woke feeling like a person who’d been really sick. You can use all the metaphors and adjectives you want, but you know the feeling better than words can convey. My eyelashes were stuck together, my lips covered in gunk, my pillow crusty.

“Euh! That was awful … What’s with my voice? Ah great, my voice is all screwed up by the flu. I sound like Lauren Bacall in heat. Better get cleaned up and see how I feel,” I said to my cats who were looking at me strangely, but then cats often give you *looks*.

I sat up, the covers snagging on my chest as my hair got in my eyes.

“What the fuck?”

“That is not appropriate language for a young lady, Charlie. Let’s get you cleaned up and see my handiwork.”

“Tamara! But, how and what are you … How’d you get in here?” I shouted in surprise.

“Do you know any other witches, girl? If I can transform you into your dearest wish, a dead-bolt is child’s-play,” she said as she helped me into the shower, stripped me and turned on the water.

* * * *

I thought long and hard about what Tamara said as she helped shampoo my hair and generally put me back together.

“These should fit if the spell worked as designed. You never can tell with magic. Oh, hon, I mean Charlie. I’m sorry, but you’re not a standard size -- men and your libidos. The 35 inch hips are nice, and the five-foot ten-inch, 140 pound frame is tall but well within normal spec, but why the stripper breasts?” she asked. I grabbed frantically at my chest, and she laughed.

“These are ... hey, these aren’t that big. Are they?”

“A 39 D-cup; big, but on your frame well proportioned,” she said, then snickered. “It’s your own subconscious’s fault you’re top-heavy. Why do guys fantasize about huge breasts? You're definitely on the generous end of the normal *curve* for breast size, so-to-speak,” Tamara grinned. She must have noticed I was scared. “You have an outstanding figure, dear, but you’re no freak if that’s what worries you.

I saw myself in the mirror. I had no makeup, and I was in a simple bra, panties, woman’s t-shirt and Lady Wranglers, but I looked like a fashion model. I looked like I belonged in Playboy, or a Victoria’s Secret catalogue. I smiled at the pretty twenty-something in the mirror, then I started to cry.

“Why? I didn’t ask for this; I don’t want to be a girl!”

“Charlie, it was your wish I offered to the Goddess. You wished that your best friend would find that perfect someone. It was an unselfish wish so the Goddess -- praise be to her -- granted it,” she replied.

“But why am I ... My Ghod no! I won’t do it. I am not someone’s fuck toy. Change me back, please!” I pleaded.

“I can’t. Even if I hated you, Charlie, I wouldn’t. You might die. If you insist on reversing the spell, we could safely try in a year or two, but certainly no sooner than a couple months minimum. To subject your body to conflicting magics is dangerous, and the outcome might to be uncontrollable. I’m sorry,” she said.

“But what will I do? I know you meant well, and it’s great to be so young, but I have no papers, no ID.”

“That’s not true. The spell alters reality; only you, I, and one other know your true past. To everyone else you’ve always been Charlie, the pretty tomboy,” she said.

“I’ll help you, Charlie. This was the result of your wish for me, wasn’t it?”

“Jules?”

~~What is he doing here?~~

“I’ll leave you two alone for a while. You need to talk,” Tamara said and left the room.

* * * *

I’d never noticed, but Jules was a stud. Oh, I knew he was fit and good looking, but now I was drooling at the sight …

“Get away! It’s the stupid spell. It’s trying to make me fall in love with you. See, I had to force my legs back together. My god, I’m wet at the sight of you and it’s wrong; I can’t love you,” I said and sobbed.

Jules sat next to me on the edge of my bed and held me.

“I’m afraid it’s my fault. Charlie, it’s not the spell making you desire me; it’s only revealing that which was already there. You loved me for years, but I could never return your love. Charlie, I was a lesbian, Jules said.

“What? That makes no sense.”

“I was Julie.”

He stopped speaking and put his strong hands on the sides of my face so we were looking eye-to-eye.

“This was the only way I could be with you. I shouldn’t have, but I was desperate,“ he said.

~~He did this to me?!~~ I felt sick and angry.

“Then why not have the spell-slinger here make you hetero?” I spat with some venom behind it and pushed away from him. Jules winced and replied.

“To do that Tamara would have had to change my very essence. The person you knew as Julie would have died and a person with her memories, but none of her feelings, would have taken her place. Other than my body, I am as I was and I’m still a lesbian, I love women, and you in particular. You are as I have wished you to be for years, a woman, only now it is no longer just a wish,” he said sweetly, but I didn’t buy it.

“You never asked me what I want. For *this* to work for *you* I have had *my* tastes changed to like men. I was hetero. Not very successful at it, but it was what I was. So you had Tamara change my body and my very *essence* instead?! Get out and never come back, bastard! You too, Tamara, climb on your broom and skedaddle!” I shouted.

“It’s not a simple as that, Charlie, men and women fall within a wide range -- people’s souls are both male and female to varying degrees. We’re all a mix. Given each of your souls this was the best possible solution.”

I glared at them.

“I can see you’re still upset. You need time, we’ll talk a …” Tamara tried to say.

“Go, damn it!” screamed and shoved them both out of my house. My house -- the magic had filled it with the reminders of my being a woman. All my cherished mementos, everything I ever done as a male was gone and replaced by that so-called wish. I locked the door for what it was worth and collapsed in bed, crying myself to sleep.

* * * *

“Sis, you need to get up. Everyone is worried about you. My god, haven’t you eaten or anything?”

It was my older sister -- by twenty years. I used to be four years her senior.

~~That would make mom 55 when I was born, whoa!~~

“I still can’t get over how mom could have carried me at her age,” I finally said.

“When you were born she told me you were her miracle baby. They wanted a third child, a boy if possible, but she had so many miscarriages. Then you came along. Mom was into menopause; she rarely had her period anymore. Her ovaries gave it one last shot, no one knows why, and wow, I had a baby sister. You turned out so pretty,” she said as she got me up and fed me.

“I’m still your baby sister then?”

“You always will be, but I would have loved you if you were my brother,” she replied.

“What time is it?”

“It’s ten in the morning, Monday. We’re both off today. I called in for us when Tamara called me yesterday. She was afraid you were suicidal. Did Jules break up with you?”

“Don’t ever say that name to me again. He ruined my life!”

“He raped you?”

“Worse,” I muttered inaudibly.

“What did you say, Sis?”

“Nothing. It wasn’t totally his fault. Just what he wants isn’t how I saw my life,” I said as Tamara’s parting words and my sister’s love got through my anger.

“What do I do?”

“You get yourself together and come back to work tomorrow like nothing happened. If he’s worthy of you, he’ll find the way to persuade you. If he can’t, you can have anyone you want, Sis, you’re beautiful. Don’t forget it.”

* * * *

We spent a pleasant day together, mostly talking. I found most of my old memories as her brother translated into the female equivalent. My past was not so different that I couldn’t see both my original life and my new one in it. That was what had made me most angry, that I had lost myself. The reality was I hadn’t. My nearly fifty years of memories were now condensed into 24 years of the most fulfilling life imaginable. And I was still a virg … Never mind. I had a good nights sleep and went to work the next day a new woman.

~~That is true in so many ways.~~

* * * *

“Charlie, I’m so glad to see you. About the other night,” Jules said on seeing me at work.

“I’m not speaking to you other than as my job requires. Good day, sir,” I said, and turned away.

This went on for a week until she -- well he -- got the message and stopped bothering me or sending flowers. The girls thought I was being unfair to him. I said he had done something I wasn’t sure I could forgive.

~~Why did I say I wasn’t sure. Could I forgive him, no!.~~

If I had to, I would learn to accept, maybe love my new life. It didn’t make what happened right, though.

* * * *
I got back into the swing of things, though sometimes it hurt. It was surprisingly easy to fit in as everyone, with those *two* exceptions, remembered the new me. I had both sets of memories and found I fell into my female role convincingly. My coworkers stopped asking me about Jules as they saw the hurt in my eyes whenever I thought about it. On occasion they did try to get me to rejoin the living.

“Valentine’s Day is coming soon, Charlie, do you have any plans?” a co-worker asked.

“I’m staying home, I don’t feel like … you know,” I replied sullenly.

“I have a cousin; he’s 23 and back from a tour in Iraq. He’s very sweet for an Army Ranger,” she said.

“Please, no pity dates. I’ll work this out myself. I’d be lousy company; your cousin deserves better,” I replied.

* * * *

Jules sent me an elegant floral arrangement for Valentine’s Day. I’d have refused it if I’d been the one to sign. I saw the attached card, recognized *his* handwriting, and dumped all of it -- lead-crystal vase, flowers, water, unopened card -- in the trash in plain view of everyone. I wasn’t letting *it* of the hook.

* * * *

Winter gave way to spring. My personal life was in tatters, but my professional life took off. Maybe I was substituting work for my social life, but whatever the reason my sales increased dramatically. I was called to meet with our Human Resources Director.

“Charlie, I’ve been working on your performance review and you are on a roll. You have always been a good worker, but the last couple months you have took off like a rocket. I’ve had numerous complements referred to me from customers and coworkers. Your sales are top in the company, and our trainer says you passed with high marks on our product knowledge test. I know you’ve been unhappy as of late in your personal life, but you’ve not let it interfere with your performance.

“An opening for a loan officer became available recently, as you know. I’d like you to apply for it. We have to offer the job to all current staff, but you’d be my first choice, dear. It would mean working out of corporate,” she explained.

“I’d like the promotion, but … No, I can’t.”

“You would not be working directly with Jules, if that’s your concern. What happened is your business, but I can tell you he’s hurting. You were such close friends, and we all thought you two would … Then in January something changed -- if I can help in anyway, Charlie?”

“I’ll put my name up for the position, and I can work with him but beyond that, thanks but no thanks,” I said, my tone flat and unemotional.

~~ I don’t want to feel this way but how could he!~~

I left the meeting crying.

* * * *

I slowly came to accept my sex. If I was stuck, I would make a success of womanhood, though I hoped that would not be necessary. I’d made up, in a limited way, with Tamara as she was my ticket back. She would change me back if it was what I truly wanted, but I would have to wait until the summer solstice.

“Changing you back is many times more difficult and dangerous than simply transforming you. The delay will minimize the residual magic from your first transformation. The solstice is by tradition a day when a witch's powers are at their greatest. That’s not the case for me, I’m not of that *faith* but it’s the earliest I feel confident in trying. I owe you for forcing this change upon you, and I am duty-bound to get it right. Please forgive me?” she asked.

“I will try, Tamara. I will try.”

“I never would have considered the transformations, but I *read* your souls -- Julie’s and yours, Charlie. Poor Julie could never love you as you were, though she wanted to. Yet within her deepest desires there was this spark that said she could be happy as a man, if he had the love of the right woman. Julie was content as a lesbian, but the thought of sex with a man sickened her. Oddly the thought of her being a man and having sex with a woman did not upset her in the least. As long as her partner was a female she/he was happy.

“Your soul was content as a man with no interest in a homosexual relationship, but was not averse to becoming a woman. For a man you had considerable woman’s character to your soul. I’m not saying you were effeminate, just that you came at things from both a male and female perspective. I think Julie fell in love with the female part of you as much as she respected the man. Similarly, you were more attracted to her than you dared to admit to yourself, Charlie. All those years you waited to ask her out, afraid to lose her as a friend, must have been frustrating.

“Please don’t condemn her; she was caught in an untenable situation. Her chance of finding true love was fading as middle-age approached, and then I came into the mix. I could have made you a woman and her lesbian lover but Julie knew you wanted your own children. She took a great risk in becoming a male; it was more dangerous than turning you into a female. In stripping away part of her genes to make a Y chromosome she left herself wide open to crippling, even fatal genetic abnormalities. Thankfully she came through it healthy -- extremely so, in fact. She faced a real risk of dying or being crippled, Charlie. She loved you unreservedly to take the risk. I only wish we’d asked you first. I’m sorry,” she said, and hugged me.

* * * *

I noticed Jules was not at work when I returned from the Memorial Day holiday. I’d gone out of town with my sister to reinforce our relationship. It was as fun our trips together as brother and sister, only better in some indefinable way. I was continually finding my old life wasn’t gone; it was all a bit different, but I was still me. Charlie was Charlie, male or female. I decided I might still be upset with Jules, but I should forgive him making a mistake in his desperation. I went to see him in his office, and it was locked.

“Um, where’s Jules?” I asked the receptionist.

“No one has told you? Right, it happened while you were on vacation. He’s in the hospital; there was an accident and … his car rolled over and he’s pretty shook-up.”

“Will he … Is he alright?” I asked, guilt welling up and ….

“He’s battered, but no life-threatening injuries, just a few broken bones and bruises.”

“Can I see him or call him, I …?” I was anxious to see him.

“I’m not sure that’s a good idea,” she said a bit harshly.

“Why?!”

“We’re not supposed know, but his sister called and said he’s under a suicide watch. They suspect he changed his mind at the last second which is why the car rolled rather than hit a bridge abutment.

“What did he do to you that you hate him so, Charlie? We all thought you’d get married someday.”

* * * *

No matter what I said I couldn’t get his hospital number. I think they were afraid I’d say something to incite another suicide attempt. I was able to send him some flowers through his sister, signed simply, “Jules, please forgive me? I forgive you, Charlie.”

He was released a week later to convalesce at home prior to returning to work. I tried to call him but I couldn’t. I got so nervous I froze every time I tried. I saw him come to work a few weeks later, bandaged, on crutches with his broken leg in a cast. He looked so handsome yet sad.

I started to get up, then I collapsed into my chair. I picked up my phone, my heart racing. I dialed the number, hands shaking. “Um, Jules, it’s Charlie. Please listen. I’m still upset over what ... you know. But for you to give up being a woman for me was a great sacrifice and, well, we are so much younger and um ... I know you didn’t mean to hurt me, and I’m sick over how I’ve treated you … My cousin is having a big BBQ and family get together on the Fourth of July … Yes, I know that’s tomorrow. I … I’d like to start over. I want to give us both a second chance. We do it my way or not at all, but I do miss you so, Julie, Jules, whoever you are … whoever we are. I miss my friend.”

The End

Notes:

Readers, Please Remember to Leave a Comment

Want to comment but don't want to open an account?
Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- password topshelf to leave a comment.

up
60 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sweet story

I just re-read this story and enjoyed it as much the second time. :-)

Thanks for posting it.

Hugs,

Alys

A person should...

Diesel Driver's picture

A person should always marry a friend.

Chris

Moving up in the world

Wow! Itinerant and I got front credit billing... and titles, too.

Thanks, John, it's great to be working with you.

Janet

The evil blond proof reader and Adverb Advocate

Janet

Mistress of the Guild of Evil [Strawberry] Blonde Proofreaders
TracyHide.png

To be or not to be... ask Schrodinger's cat.

Grerat story, but I'm a bit confused.

Jezzi Stewart's picture

So Tamara and Julie set this up - to turn Julie into a guy and that somehow, then, they were going to turn Charlie into the girl of Jules' desire? And the drawing was fixed to draw Charlie's wish? How could they be sure Charlie would make the wish he did? Was there a plan B if he hadn't? pretty selfish of Jules/Julie and pretty irresponsible of Tamara. If I were Charlie, I'd be sorry about Jules attempted suicide, but I'd change back. (But, then, I'm not Charlie, so ... uh ... you by any chance have Tamara's phone number? :-)

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

I thought

I thought the wish was Jules, what Jules wrote as his wish was to have Charlie change.

The story is well done, I could feel the hurt of Charlie and the disapointment of Jules and Tamera when they realized they had not really considered Charlie's life. Maybe they should have read his wish before making he/r. I wonder what s/he thought important enough to be a life wish.

Thanks for the view from your mind's eye.

No, the wish was Charlie's:

Jezzi Stewart's picture

** (Tamara) “Charlie, it was your wish I offered to the Goddess.
(Jules) “I’ll help you, Charlie. This was the result of your wish for me, wasn’t it?” **

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

Yeahbut...

What the heck happened to changing back at the summer solstice? Is Tamara's calender broken, too? Poor thing, she's already morally challenged and ethically impaired...
Who stood suicide watch on Charlie after they stole HIS life? How would Tamara have felt if Charlie'd given in to despair at the loss?
Saints preseve us from 'helpful' witches!

I Just Want to Know One Thing...

Where do I find this Tamara??? :)

Nicely done John!

Never let it be said that I don't enjoy the occasional delusion of grandeur

Never let it be said that I don't enjoy the occasional delusion of grandeur

Tamara can be reached at

Tamara exists, though that's not quite her name.

She is a real wiccan though I don't know if he's a witch though she could be. She is simultanously one of the niceset and eerily scary people I know. A very strong, caring woman, serious at work but parties hard and could probaby stare-down a rabid Doberman if angry enough.

Maybe she is a witch?

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Ask first!

Remember before you turn someone into your dream lover to ask first! This is a best o intentions story. Even with the love for Julie to change him without his permission was almost disastrous for both them. What happen to that wisdom and compassion from Tarmara? Very good John!
grover-

Thanks, this was a stretch for me

I got a thoughful PM last night that wondered why Charlie would put up with this abuse of him.

I prefered to go with the Disney ending -- that Tamara was honest in wanting to help these star-crossed lovers and that Julie/Jules truely had no alternative. Charlie chose to accept the violation of his/her rights in exchange for the love he so long desired and the added bonus of extra years to enjoy it and have a family.

Jezzi, you will note, despite the spell using his attracton to Julie to *attract* her to Jules -- okay, I'll be honest, Charlie was moments away from um, *jumping* on Jules until she realized she was being influenced by the magic -- Charlie fights it. She won't be forced into the role of Jules woman. She resists all his attempts to persue her until she realizes Jules is the same but different and she is the same but different. Jeese, I sound like that jock giving his history report in Bill and Ted;s Excellent Adventure.

In otherwords, these is no indentity death as she remembers all and is in, fact, better off in someways. It is his love for Julie/Jules and his/her adapablity -- aided by the spell -- to love her as Jules despite the undesired gender change.

It will be too late for the contest but I may write several alternative endings. A logical one explores what were Tamara's true motives. In the ending I used here, it was compassion -- thought applied initially in a patronizing manner, for which Tamara asks forgiveness later -- for Julie and Charlies' plight.

One alterantive would have this as Tamara *falling* into a bonaza from her standpoint, she meets Julie and learn of her problem with loving Charlie. Tamara sees Charlie as a rival at work and this eliminates the problem -- i.e. make him Jule's happy, barefoot and pregant housewife. Tamara as a self-serving manipuator in this alternative.

Another would be all was meant well but Charlie can't cope and dies changing back, or she leaves town never to return or Jules suceeds in committing suicide when Charlie rejects him.

I'll think it over. It could be a good writing execise.

Now to get back to this danged pesky mongoose Grover *sicked* on my Joanie.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

I didn't mention identity death at all; ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... what brought that up? AND I'm still confused.

1) Jules getting what "he" wants all seems to hinge on Charlie making the wish he did. How could they be certain he would make that wish or any wish that would change him into a woman who wanted Jules? Was there a plan B if he hadn't? Or was the whole wish thing a scam and they just changed him with his wish being unnecessary and then lied to "her"?

2) If Tamara believed so strongly that changing essence/sexual orientation would have negative results on Julie that neither woman was willing to risk it, why were they willing to risk it being done to Charlie ? Why not leave Julie a female and lesbian and turn Charlie into a woman without the essence change, thus avoiding the danger because "she" would be a lesbian also?

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

Sorry Jezzi

Oops, I looked at your comment and my exhausted brain INFERRED you were hinting at identity death --- DOH!

What you did say, if I'm paraphrasing correctly, was how Charlie was manuvered, tricked, whatever and never consulted before hand. This is true.

That is why Charlie fights the spell and refuses Julie/Jules advances for months despite his years of longing for Julie. In the end she decides though this was a case of the ends justfing the means and his wishes were stomped on, his/her love for Julie/Jules is worth the sacrifice. Tamara did throw in the bonus of rejuvinated bodies so the two will get to be with each other a long time.

As to Plan B, Tamamra could have read Jules *entry* which would have said something like 'I wish for my dearest friend' -- Charlie being meant but not spoken -- 'to find contentemnt with his soulmate' --ie, Julie/Jules. Vague but believable.

Depending how ethical/unethical Tamara is, she could have influenced Charlie with a small spell to compell him to write #61 or to think that is what he wrote. He is in the witch's home after all where her powers would likely be strongest.

As to the Solstice, I forgot, or Charlie did. I should have put in a few lines where Tamara comes to take him to her house and revervse the spell and Charlie asks to pospone it, she's not sure anymore and she feels she owe Jules a chance to explain. I'd likely have wrote something like,

I'm pissed off at both of you for doing this without so much as the courtesy of asking me, 'hypothetically -- if your being changed into a woman and her being changed into a man was the only way we could be together, would I risk it if my love would?'

I thank you that I remember who I was and that in many ways my life is unchanged. This is a wonderous gift, being young and beautiful, though the price was high -- my right to chose. Despite this change being not of my free will, somehow *I* feel it wouldn't be fair to my priciples if I didn't give Jules a chance to convince me that it was the best choice for *us*. It would be as if I had done to him what was done to me, can you understand?

Thanks for the comments, they do help.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Ambivalence

It's a pity that those who seem so wrapped up in the Whateley thing don't get out more, because, whenever they do, I know I'm missing reading some excellent writers and only because their obsession isn't mine - at all.

John writes with a smooth confident style and he controls his characters well. It's all very readable and worth reading too.

I do have problems with his character's motives. It seems a case of "we know what's best for you, dear. Don't worry your pretty little head." I couldn't quite accept that what was fine for Julie/Jules wasn't equally fine for Charlie. However, John arranged for Charlie to be persuaded in the end, and did it fairly convincingly, so I guess, from the story telling point of view, that's fine.

Please get out more, John. I promise to read your stories if you do :o)

Geoff

And you didn't get to see any from the *C* -team

With Itinerant and Grover entering multiple stories to the contest -- the one a solid Whateley Fan Fic'r (Ma'at) and the author of Amazon, and Grover a soon to be Fan Fic'r and creator of my new Fan Fic character Miki -- I had to enter on general principle.

I wish more of the Whateley gang had. A number of the Fan Fic writers are know for solid works outside of Whateley, Kitn/Angie Huges for one. But canon: Maggie, Bek, Babs, e.e. et all, the mind boggles. BC is simarly blessed with talented minds and thoughful readers which is why I post here and at The Crystal Hall, in hopes some of it will rub off on me.

I will look at all the comments and the draft as posted and will likely do a reworking or a second chapter as prudence put it. Thanks for your interst. Jeese, my ego will have a hard time making it thru doorways.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

I know your post is old, it's 2014 now

Diesel Driver's picture

Hope you are still checking these. I was hardcore Whately which is why I read (and am re-reading) Joanie's story. I came here to follow one of the authors there. From there I found the TTTHfanfiction site. Stands for Twisting the Hellmounth fan fiction. Diane Castle is there writing superb stories as usual. You and everyone should check out her story there "The League of Extraordinary Women". Crossovers of Harry Potter, Hermione based story. Also, Selena from Catwoman (batman), Jamie from the Bionic Woman, Buffy and Willow (Darth Willow makes a cool appearance) from Buffy the Vampire Slayer (is there any other Buffy?) Sam from SG1, and Alex Mack of the Secret Life of Alex Mack, a Nickelodeon show for young teens. And SEQUELS!!!

Should give you some great ideas.

Chris

terrible ending

hugs john. i love your work and should comment more often. i agree there are some issues with whose wish was granted, given that jules was transformeed prior to the event. my biggest grumble is the abrupt ending. it doesn't feel finished please add a second chapter. your fan prue

Wow! My and Really?

prudence,

I am pleasantly suprised at the interest in my story.

That people take the time to leave comments is always helpful, particularly when they tell me why they liked or disliked something. That's why I'm so glad to have Itinerant and Janet Nolan as proofers now, those extra eyes spot things the authors brain fills in that the reader needs but didn't get. I still get useful feedback from readers even with my proofers assistance. It's not just confusing plot points that get fixed but whole new characters and stories have developed from their kind interest.

I'll have to look it over again, and possibly do a second chapter. I was trying to cover a lot in a short timespan. If you're familiar with my Whateley Academy Fan Fic, it took well over 200 pages to cover the first seven months -- Timeout cpt 1-14, Timeout 2 cpt 1-6 not counting Glacier Girl or the recent Christmas story.

I'd still be inclined towards the happy ending. My gut feeling is all three of these people are decent folks but two of them went about this all wrong and could have caused a tradgedy.

After these kind words I will never make snide remarks about your drains swirling the wrong way ever again.

John amazed at the thoughful comments in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

I like long winded authors IF...

Diesel Driver's picture

The better the writer the more I like them to write long complicated stories. You're really good. Please write more long stories.

Chris

Maybe -- maybe not

Perhaps this could be seen as a conflict of interest, but I want to comment on the ending of the story.

The turning point in this story is Charlie's ability to accept what happened, for good or for ill. Yes, there are other aspects to the story that are left open, but as a slice of life type of story, that's okay.

While most would like to see a happy ending, life rarely gives them. So, we take the small victories where we can find them.

Janet

The evil blond proof reader

Janet

Mistress of the Guild of Evil [Strawberry] Blonde Proofreaders
TracyHide.png

To be or not to be... ask Schrodinger's cat.

Closure

Breanna Ramsey's picture

I liked this story a lot, especially the fact that Charlie reacted in a very real way after the transformation. She got mad, and she didn't try to hide it. Despite that, she still got on with moving forward as best she could.

To me the ending did seem a bit rushed. I know how that can happen, especially when working with a short piece. What I missed most of all was closure - a response of some kind from Jules at the end. It wouldn't have to answer all the questions - I'm a firm believer that no story should tie up every loose end - just a little hint at what Jules was feeling. We know in the end that Charlie is willing to give it a try, but something from Jules is necessary to bring closure at the end. It doesn't even have to be a 'happy ending'.

You're an excellent writer, John. You have a light, witty style that is very easy to read. You did a great job of fleshing out your characters in a very short span. Thanks so much for sharing your gift.

Scott

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of--but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards.

Lazarus Long
Robert A. Heinlein's 'Time Enoough for Love'

Bree

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
-- Tom Clancy

http://genomorph.tglibrary.com/ (Currently broken)
http://bree-ramsey314.livejournal.com/
Twitter: @genomorph

Not everyone balks

I think Charlie was very strong and Julie saw that quality. what gets me, Julie went away under deception and suddenly Jules is a good buddy. The wish was for Jules to have someone to love. Charlie was the one Jules has always loved.
In life cirumstances do not always fall into a schedule. The summer solstice came while Jules was hospitalized. Charlie was searching her inner self for answers. She came to realize through an earlier conversation with Tamara that Julie risked everything to change from female to male. "If you love someone set them free, if they do not come back they were not meant to love you." In this case Jules let Charlie go and Charlie came back. Of course there is the other line of that adage, "if they don't come back hunt them down and kill them.
I don't think Jules had homicidal abilities and Charlei did fall in love with Jules at the end.
John You did well
Jill Micayla
May you have a wonderful today and a better tomorrow

Jill Micayla
Be kinder than necessary,Because everyone you meet
Is fighting some kind of battle.