help making a scene

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

I am trying to craft the next chapter in my serial I Woke, and i am running into a bit of a block. I would like to make the scene realistic, but I find I don't know enough about the tastes of teen girls today. What do they like to wear, what music do they listen to, who is "hot", that kind of detail. Any ideas, anybody?

Dorothy, A Good Way To Know

Is to look at the fashions in the local stores. Many are into Hannah Montanna And look at teen oriented mags for the hot topics

Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Just people watch

Adding to Stan, why not just go to your nearest mall and take a seat? Watch all that goes on round you, and you'll soon pick up underlying themes and fashions.

Of course, as a woman, you should be doing that anyway :)

Penny

Styles, huh???

It would depend upon where the girl lived, weho she hung out with, what kind of guys did she like, and so on. Some girls are very preppy while others are still into Goth. Some dress to attract guys. Your best bet is to frame your character in your mind and then check out various teen magazines. Look for the cover that best represents the way your character sees herself and go from there. And do remember there will be wardrobe changes to suit the activity.

As for music...many are into rap if they want to dance. Of course there are the 'chick' singers and cute guy type of bands.

Good Luck!

Mea the Magnificent

What to Wear?

littlerocksilver's picture

I think you can allude to the fashions and music without being too specific. Just relate to how different/alien it is from what he grew up with. Have her seek out assistance from a new friend; after all, she has had a traumatic injury and lapses are understandable. Being specific as to music and style is not nearly as important as the personal adjustments she is going to have to make. Regardless of the time frame, those are the things that are most important.

Maybe fashion and entertainment specifics are important to some; however, that is not the essence of your story. Stick with that and your story will have more substance. Let the fashion maves out their imagine a bit about her attire. If you try to get too specific, it might create problems.

Portia

Portia

Writer's Notebook

Most writing books suggest the use of a writer's notebook. Get in the habit of carrying the notebook with you and write down things that you see and hear during your daily life.

You might hear a strange bit of dialogue that will make your story much more plausible.

Also . . . this site will help you with teen vocabulary

http://www.urbandictionary.com/

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)