Pics or it didn't happen!

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

I really, really wanted to put pictures up on the front-page parts of Somewhere Else Entirely, but I have failed because I don't know where to get suitable pictures from.

I can figure out how to upload the things and I've seen a guide on how to insert them into the HTML page in a suitable place, but my problem is that I don't know where to find suitable public domain images I can freely use. I wanted to use real images. I don't think I can use the drawing programs that some authors have used to make pictures because (i) my drawing sucks, I'm strictly a text-kinda girl, and (ii) most of them are for Windows which I don't speak.

I didn't really want to get into paying for the things or involving complex copyright issues. So, anyone tell me places to go for freely (in all senses) available images?

For example:

ch. 1 - A range of mountains in the distance.
ch. 2 - A hippopotamus.
ch. 3 - A wagon or wagons - not, probably the American-style covered wagon though.
ch. 4 - A large half-timbered building that might be a palace.

etc. etc.

all suggestions gratefully received.

Penny

Pictures

Hi Penny

I haven't commented as yet on Somewhere Else Entirely, probably because I didn't know what to make of it, but I've persevered with it, and I'm really glad I did. As you've gotten into the story, it's really grown on me, and I'm wondering about that inquisitor bloke, and also whether we'll see a Prince and Princess type relationship develop, but I digress.

In terms of images, you may have noticed that I'm gradually republishing works by another author, and I endeavour to get some sort of of picture for the front page here, to try to catch people's attention.

One of my first ports of call is Wikimedia Commons. I also get a lot of mileage from Google Images (I don't think I need to post a link to that).

I completely agree with your comment about paying for pictures or getting involved with copyright. If something is explicitly copyrighted, then I won't touch it.

However, I almost never post a picture directly, but use it in some sort of derivative way. You don't say what your graphical skills are. I know that there are some people here who are really expert with programs like Photoshop. I'd class myself as an intermediate user, and my particular poison is PaintShop Pro.

Techniques I've used include cropping, turning the picture I want into a painting (there's a function that does that in PSP), and making a collage of several images.

The next story I'll be posting involves a powerful spirit who appears in dreams. I've looked at pictures of dreamcatchers on the Internet, but I haven't been happy with what I've found: again for reasons of copyright as much as quality. What I did find was a PSP tutorial on how to draw a dreamcatcher, so that's what I'm doing for this next one. That might seem like a lot of work, but I've learned heaps from doing it, so I don't begrudge the time.

Best wishes, and feel free to PM me if you'd like some further help.

Picture Selection

Bike Resources

Dreamcatchers...

Puddintane's picture

...are actually fairly simple to make as well, if one doesn't insist on buffalo hide laces and eagle feathers. That way you could take a photo.

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.

Wikimedia Commons?

That's probably the obvious place to start - thousands of images under Creative Commons licenses. Usually the only relevant condition is that you give credit to the person behind the lens.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Almost everything produced by the US Government...

Puddintane's picture

...is public domain by definition, although it's nice to give a credit. NOAA is a good source, and NASA can be, although you have to be more careful.

NOAA

NASA Guidelines

NASA Images

General US Image Links

Many governments place more restrictions on image use, so don't take US law as a general guideline.

For the Hippo, I'd try the Library of Congress collection. I found one example in about fifteen seconds:

Hippo in Zoo

With a little photoshopping, one could isolate it.

Cheers,

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

Interesting question here

When you say 'public domain' here, exactly which public are you (or they) referring to? Anyone at all in the world? A US citizen? An image originally served by a website hosted in the US? An image which when copied will be served by a website hosted in the US? Or does it depend on exactly which organisation it is, and what their definition of 'public domain' is?

I am, personally, not a US citizen, but of course BCTS is hosted there so the point may be moot. I dunno. It's this sort of thing that makes lawyers rub their hands and sane people despair.

Whatever, a clarification of that point would be useful for the authorship here to know.

Penny

Wagon Pictures

Hi Penny, I looked at the Dogpile search engine and found some of the following links, It might be allowable to use a picture and give it's proper source credit at the picture or in a remarks section. The best option is to write the companies involved and ask to use their photos in a "non profit/free" fiction story. in most cases you can right click on a picture and select view photo and than right click on the photo and copy web address.

UK Vardo Project Website a gypsy wagon group in the UK
Wagons Online a page of links on gypsy wagons
Ranch Willow Wagon Company a builder of wagons, perhaps a source of photos?
Gypsy Vans by Roth a British builder of wagons
Hansen Wheel and Wagon Shop
From IDAHO SHEEPCAMP.COM comes the following:
   Photos of Inside Sheep Wagons
   Photos of Sheep Wagons
   Unique Photos
Tiny House Blog some pictures and links at the bottom
From OLD WESTERN WAGONS are some more:
   rebuilt wagon and Horse Drawn Wagons, Covered Wagons & Chuck Wagons

HippoBottomless

Piper's picture

I took this picture about a year ago, at the Philadelphia Zoo... It was "right place right time" moment. He had just decided to shake his head/ears and I caught the action shot.

You are welcome to use it if you wish. I use it as a desktop image on one of my PC's :)

-P/KAF/PT

HippoBottomless @ Philadelphia Zoo

"Science is just magic with an explanation, and bumblebees are just tiny little fairies in disguise. :)" Submitted by Erin on Sun, 2010/04/04 - 6:37pm.

"She was like a butterfly, full of color and vibrancy when she chose to open her wings, yet hardly visible when she closed them."
— Geraldine Brooks

Thank you all!

Thanks to all who responded, I am really, really grateful.

As I said above pictures are not my thing at all. If I tried to draw a face it would probably end up worse than an identikit picture I'm that bad.

Photoshop? I've heard of it, but I don't have access to Windows or Mac. Yes, I have had a play with the GIMP, but it presupposes you know what you're doing so I haven't actually managed much apart from cropping and converting which is about all I really need.

I'll have a squint around all those lovely links you've sent me and see what I can do. I can't promise that I'll get around to putting up pictures at all soon, though, at the moment I'm way too deep in the actual writing to have the time spare for experimentation.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a heroine to rescue :)

Penny