Tater Tot Casserole (Yes, it's real ;-))

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

As featured in Chapter 7 of Everything's Sunny with Sarah this is my family recipe for Tater Tot Casserole. You can experiment with seasonings to taste, but it's actually very good just going by this recipe (I can safely call it a family recipe because I learned it from my mom, who learned it from my Aunt Sarah years ago, who learned it from her mom :-))

Enjoy!

1lb ground beef
1 small onion,chopped
1 bag tater tots (frozen)
1 can Veg-All mixed veggies
1 can cream of any kind of soup (Chicken, mushroom, celery, etc)
Shredded cheese to taste (optional) - I prefer cheddar

Brown ground beef and onions
Mix ground beef, onions, soup of choice, and veggies in casserole dish
Add tater tots on top
Cover with cheese to taste (optional)
Bake covered (I use foil, but a baking dish with a lid works too) at 350F degrees for about 30 minutes.

Go ahead, make me some Tater Tots

laika's picture
"I like a good tater tot..."
~Clint Eastwood, A PERFECT WORLD (1993)

I bought and tried some Tater Tots after I saw this movie, and a few times since then, but mostly I bake generic frozen french fries, they're cheaper & seem less adulterated. But this sounds like a good use for them. I'll try this, looks easy enough for even my limited culinary skills.
~hugs, Ronni

Funny, I don't remember anything else about that movie...

I do think

Raff01's picture

I have had this before. Been a while, but it sounds familiar. Of course, I have to have cream o' chicken or celery. I got a problem with mushrooms. They kinda knock me on my hind end

Likewise

Zoe Taylor's picture

Likewise, I'm incapable of eating mushrooms. Sometimes I can stomach Cream of Mushroom, but if I have any say in the matter I avoid them ;-) And I flat cannot eat them otherwise. The first time I tried I was sick for hours afterwards. When we make it though, we usually use chicken, and it turns out great :-D

-
"...and then the day came when the
risk to remain tight in a bud was more
painful than the risk it took to blossom."

-- Anais Nin

~* Queen of Sweetness *~

Robinverse!

~* Queen of Sweetness *~

Become a Patron for early access ♥

Hmmmmmmm

Renee_Heart2's picture

Sounds almost like chicken potpie wxcept for the crust, the onion, the cheese, & ground beef. It dosen't sound too bad actualy

Ty for sharing this wih us Zoe :).
Love Samantha Renee Heart

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Hashbrown Casserole

We had something very similar tonight. Sub a pound of sage sausage and add some eggs and you have nice savory meal good for breakfast. We often use hashbrowns instead of tater tots, but it really depends on your own like and dislikes. We also go a little crazy on the toppings. Take it out after about 25 minutes and add some more cheese, French bread crumbs or my favorite French fried onions on top. Put it back in for another 5 minutes.
hugs
Grover

We have a recipe for

Zoe Taylor's picture

We have a recipe for something like that too! Dad pan-fries either hash browns or fresh-diced potato with eggs, sausage, and cheese and then just shovels it all onto a big platter for everyone to take as much as they want. He calls it "Hobo hash", and it makes a cameo appearance in an upcoming part of Sarah's story. I'll have to try that as an actual casserole though. That sounds delicious.

Gah, and now I'm hungry :-D

-
"...and then the day came when the
risk to remain tight in a bud was more
painful than the risk it took to blossom."

-- Anais Nin

~* Queen of Sweetness *~

Robinverse!

~* Queen of Sweetness *~

Become a Patron for early access ♥