The Omega Unicorn Chronicles Book 1 Spring Break Chapter 22

Printer-friendly version

Spring Break
Chapter 22

By Rachel76m
Edited by Don Kaufman


chinese-dragon01.jpg
coast01.jpg
butterfly5.jpg


In my dreams I see friends from high school and college. I replay some video games that I had with them, even some camping trips I did with them. I see mom, dad, Mike and Kenny in my dreams. I remember the good times we had during the holidays and staying at the cabin in Mount Blanc.

Then the dream changes to a scene that makes me uncomfortable. I'm looking at rows of stones somewhere in a park. Once I see it, the scene changes to a long corridor with doors on both sides of a curved hallway. It feels like I'm on the stage of one of my favorite sci-fi TV series.

In another scene, I see a bunch of butterflies flying around me as I walk down a trail in the forest. Then the dream changes to a street scene in a city. I see four butterflies flying around me as I walk into a building. The butterflies follow me to a meeting somewhere in South Carolina and other buildings I visit elsewhere.

In another scene I see myself in a dire situation. Then a dark cloud races across the landscape. Once the dark cloud leaves I see bodies lying on the ground writhing in pain. I find myself no longer a captive and set free. Again there are some butterflies flying around me.

Once I try to figure out what is going on, the dreams end.

~~~000~~~

I see butterflies fading from memory as I slowly wake up. I look at the ceiling and see the pattern up there.

That was strange, Maker. Obviously you sent some good memories from the past. Then you sent some dreams from the future. Well, hopefully the dreams will make sense when they happen.

I take the covers off and get out of bed. I look out the window. I slowly see the sun light breaking on the horizon.

“Well, let's get ready for another day, Maker.”

I grab a leaf from the jar and put it in my mouth. I chew it quickly while I go to the waste receptacle to take care of my private needs. Once done, I get myself dressed quickly. I hear Sir Halgren stirring in the room next to me. Once I am dressed I look in the mirror and see how I look. I take my comb to make my hair look neat. I take out the leaf and throw it into the waste receptacle. I look in mirror the closely to see how my face looks.

I see a face that is just beginning to look tired. I smile to look at my teeth. I definitely need to brush my teeth. It has been almost a week. I wish I could do some magic to get them clean. Oh well, I'll be going home in two days or so. I'll definitely relax the first day when I get back.

I see Sir Halgren walking into my room all dressed up.

“I see we're ready for one more day, Richard.”

“Yes, Sir Halgren. It's going to be an interesting day to see which way it goes.”

“Well, let's get to the dining room for our morning repast.”

“Yes, Sir Halgren.” I put my satchel on my shoulder like I see the satchel on Sir Halgren. I'm wearing the clothes that I brought with me. I make sure my tennis shoes are in the satchel.

Sir Halgren opens the door to my room. We exit the room and walk down the hallway to the stairwell. We walk down two flights of stairs to the second floor. We walk to the dining room on the second floor. The two knights at the doors open them for us. We walk inside and see about half the crowd.

“We're here early for once, Sir Halgren.”

“Yes, Richard.”

We turn around when we see more people coming into the room.

“Good morning, Richard.”

“Good morning, Tek and Evrat.”

“Are you ready for another great day?”

“I'll be fine if I have a pair of ear plugs with me.”

They laugh out loud, “Hah, hah, hah … yes, we better have those with us.”

We see more people walking into the room. We take our seats at the same table we sat at several days ago. We already see fruit bowls placed near us at our place settings. There is enough for two each like before. Once we all settle into the chairs, King Dryden speaks up.

“Wizard Eldwin, please give the morning thanks.”

“Yes my King. Thank you, Maker for this wonderful day. We finally get the chance to make peace with Eingana and the sea dragons. We thank you for this food we're about to eat. Thank you for providing it for us so we can renew our strength to do great things today. Thank you, Maker.”

Everyone responds, “Thank you Maker.”

The servers and attendees come through the doors delivering trays of food for our first dish. This time I see a different salad combination that I have not seen before.

Brentann speaks up, “Which region is this one from? I haven't eaten these before.”

“I recognize this one, Brentann. It's from Nevidre. All of the food on Twainor is very good.”

“Thank you, Alia.”

“You're welcome.”

We continue eating our first dish in silence. When we get done with that, the servers come out to take our plates away. They come back out with trays of plates for our main dish. This time it is their farm bird served several different ways, broiled, roasted and grilled. Each bird has a different seasoning combination on them. We also notice a different vegetable combination as well.

When we take our first set of bites, we discover that each vegetable combination matches the spice and cooking method for each one. We smile at the ingenuity of the plan from the Master Chef. We enjoy the morning repast very much. Once we get done with the plate, the servers come back in to take them away. They come back out and leave a bowl and a damp cloth for each of us.

We each grab two fruits from the bowl. I place my second one in front of me. I put the blue skin fruit into the bowl and cut into the fruit with my knife. I see it has a pink pulp with some seeds. When I try a bite, the taste surprises me. Well, it sure isn't grapefruit. This one has no comparison to any of the fruits back on Earth.

We all enjoy eating the fruits provided for us. We all giggle and laugh while we try to be neat, but we end up using the damp cloth more often than not. We finally get done with both fruits in time to leave for the Gala Sea Arena.

King Dryden speaks to a server. “Please have the Master Chef come out please.”

“Yes, my King.” She does a quick bow and turns to the right. She walks into the kitchen to inform the Master Chef.

A little bit later, the entire kitchen staff comes out. They line up in a straight line side by side.

“Thank you Master Chef. The morning repast was very good. I'm sure the flavors will tantalize our taste buds all day.”

We all clap and cheer. The kitchen staff bow their heads quickly with a smile. The Master Chef steps forward.

“Thank you King Dryden. As you know, the last noon repast will be served in the Grand Dining Room today. I promise it will be a spectacular dish. It will be different than the first one we served for all of Twainor.”

“Thank you, Master Chef.”

The Master Chef bows his head quickly. The kitchen staff turns and walks back into the kitchen.

“Come, let's go to the Grand Gala Sea Arena to meet the sea dragons.”

We all get up from our chairs. We walk out of the second floor dining room. We walk as a group to the stair well and walk down to the foyer area and exit the Grand Castle.

We walk as a group across the draw bridge and begin our walk to the Grand Gala Arena. We are joined with others from the pavilion camps. The dragons fly around waiting for us to take our seats in the arena. As we approach the arena we see the dwarf Under Kingdom representatives appearing in a flash of light or the blink of an eye. They break apart and walk into the arena.

People start to fill in the seats of the arena. The kings and queens all remain on the ground level while the rest of the people walk up to their seats.

Once they see everyone has settled in their seats. King Dryden gives the signal to the dragons by waving his arm and hand in a circle several times then downward by pointing his finger to the ground.

The kings and queens walk to their seats quickly. The dragons make their descent to land in the front part of the arena. All twenty-four dragons find there is plenty of room for them all. They split into two groups on either side of the platform and sit near the bleachers on both sides. They don't block the view of the people in the arena and the bleachers.

King Dryden then walks up to the central platform and faces the arena. Everyone gets quiet to hear him speak.

“Welcome to the Grand Gala Sea Arena. We are here to meet the sea dragons for the first time. Land dragons of Twainor, roar to let your sea brethren know we are here!”

All of the dragons roar with a load voice. “Rrroooarr! Roaaaar! Rrrrrooooaaarrrr! Rooaarr!”

Once they get done roaring, we see the sea rippling with waves. Then they disappear. In the next instant five hundred sea dragons appear out of the ocean. The sea dragons all roar with their presence. Some shoot water streams into the air. The land dragons respond likewise with their own roars and fire streams from their mouths.

"Roooooarrrr! Rrrroooaaarrr! Rrrroooaaarrr! Roooarr! Roaaaarr!”
"Rrroooarr! Roaaaar! Rrrrrooooaaarrrr! Rooaarr!”
"Rrroooarr! Roaaaar! Rrrrrooooaaarrrr! Rooaarr!”

We have to put our hands to our ears while they do that. Some people put cloth bits into their ears to muffle the roaring. We remain seated and watch the spectacle in front of us. Then they quiet down. The sea dragons break apart and let Eingana enter into the crowd of sea dragons.

We all stand up and bow towards her when she approaches.

“Thank you for showing your respect. You may be seated.”

We sit back down in our seats except for the unicorns and the centaurs among us.

King Dryden steps up to the platform to welcome Eingana.

“Welcome, Eingana and the sea dragons of Twainor. For once we can finally say all of Twainor is truly represented here.”

“Yes, we are here in one voice. We know of your need to feed your people. We will not hinder that by tearing your nets again. Now that we have your attention we need to come to an agreement on how we can help each other.”

“Yes, Eingana. We've also discussed as well, a way to include the sea dragons along with the land dragons to have a voice in each kingdom when they meet in their kingdoms every thirty days or so.”

“Thank you, King Dryden. That is greatly appreciated.”

“But for your sea clan to participate we know you're of the water world and you cannot walk on land. We wondered if there are sea dragons that can walk on the ground.”

“We do have a clan that can walk on the ground King Dryden. Tarsi, please come forth with your sea clan and land on the ground in front of them.”

“Yes, Eingana.”

Then Tarsi and about three dozen small dwarf sea dragons fly out of the water. King Dryden steps back. The crowd looks at them with amazement and wonder. They land on the ground. They're about the height of Croin, Blacklaw and Agaroan. Some of them are very colorful and prismatic, especially in the wings.

Everyone cheers and claps to their presence. The flying dwarf sea dragons then roar and shoot water streams towards the ocean. We even clap and cheer louder when they do that.

The land dragons roar as well when they see their sea brethren counterpart.

“Thank you, Twainor for that cheer of acceptance. We'll divide ourselves up among the kingdoms. We'll alternate between moons with our land dragon brethren.”

“Thank you, Tarsi. That is greatly appreciated.”

“However, for us to be on land, we have a need to keep our skin moist to prevent from drying out. Do you have a means to do that?”

Then Ariella, Sir Regis, Evrat, Sir Chayton, Sir Halgren and I begin to chuckle with laughter. Everyone hears us laughing. King Dryden looks at us with a smile.

“Please come forward Richard, Ariella and Evrat. I take it that you found a way to keep the sea dragons cool during the summer?”

“We did, King Dryden.”

“Then come forward to explain it.”

Ariella, Evrat and I step forward. I begin to speak first.

“We were in King Thranton's Under Kingdom yesterday. We had an opportunity to visit a healing center there. Ariella made herself available to give them pointers for some better medical practice.”

“While she was doing that, I felt a breeze of fresh air in the waiting room. We looked all around to see how the air was brought in.”

Then we hear the dwarves begin to chuckle at a low level.

“We were able to spot a fan blade spinning above us. It is mounted in a small opening in the cave ceiling. It is probably connected to a source of fresh air. Well, from that I was able to come up with several more ideas to help Ariella and for the sea dragons. For the sea dragons, it will be a fan and tube to a small water tank. It will spray out a fine mist of water while the fan spins and blows the water vapor into the air.”

Then everyone begins to clap and cheer. Even Tarsi and the sea dragons roar at the idea they heard.

“We'll do some drawings for them.”

“We'll also provide some additional ideas to make it better so it won't be so messy.”

“I'll be able to use Richard's idea for the kingdoms to create some tools and equipment to be used in your healing centers.”

“Thank you, Outside Helpers. That is greatly appreciated.” Then the three of us return to our seats. Everyone smiles and is glad that some improvement is coming for each of their kingdoms.

“King Dryden, there is one task that must be done before we continue.”

“What is it, Eingana?”

“We must seal a pact between us. Not all of our blood has returned to us. There is still some of our blood among you.”

King Dryden has a look of dread. He looks to the audience for help. Then Master Wizard Corrbas stands up.

“I have the items with me, King Dryden.”

King Dryden's face eases, then he smiles. “Thank you for bringing them, Wizard Corrbas. Please come forward so the blood can be returned to her.”

“Yes, King Dryden.”

Wizard Corrbas steps forward. He stops on the platform and does a quick bow before her. “My name is Corrbas. I'm the Master Wizard who replaced Ruald.”

“I know who you are, Corrbas. Thank you for being faithful to your oath and keeping the First Ones safe.”

“You’re welcome Eingana.”

“Corrbas, take out the items and place them on the platform for me to see.”

“Yes, Eingana.”

Corrbas opens his satchel. He takes out the jar of sea dragon blood and the sea dragon tooth and places them on the platform. “Eingana, within the sea dragon tooth is a broken knife point. It is dipped in sea dragon blood. I did that to find out what the blood is. You can't sense it, because there is a sealing spell on it to keep it from setting the dragons into a rage.”

“That is good thinking, Corrbas. I want you to remove the knife point from the tooth. Wipe it clean with a cloth and you keep the sea dragon tooth and knife point as a reminder of what is about to happen. Open the jar and poor our blood onto the same cloth. We'll all be in a rage while this happens. I'll come forward and consume the blood for it to return home within me.”

Then Eingana looks at everyone in the arena and continues to speak.

“Remember this day always. Do not run in fear and be afraid. You will experience our rage when our children lost their lives on our nesting grounds. We have moved our nesting ground to another set of islands in the ocean. We know you lost your loved ones as well. Remember them, also. Do it now, Corrbas.”

“Yes, Eingana.”

Once Corrbas removes the sealing spell from the sea tooth. All of the dragons begin to roar with rage. We try to remain seated while they do this.

“Rrroooarr! Roaaaar! Rrrrrooooaaarrrr! Rooaarr!” “Rrroooarr! Roaaaar! Rrrrrooooaaarrrr! Rooaarr!”

The rage we feel sinks into our souls. All the people of Twainor begin to wail and cry while this happening. This includes the Outside Helpers, as well. They remember the loss of their loved ones as well. Some curl up in their seats or hug their mates while this happening.

“Rrroooarr! Roaaaar! Rrrrrooooaaarrrr! Rooaarr!” “Rrroooarr! Roaaaar! Rrrrrooooaaarrrr! Rooaarr!”

He takes a cloth from his satchel. Be quick, Corrbas, their anger is too much. Some tears come down Corrbas’ face while he tries to do what Eingana asked for.

“Rrroooarr! Roaaaar! Rrrrrooooaaarrrr! Rooaarr!” “Rrroooarr! Roaaaar! Rrrrrooooaaarrrr! Rooaarr!”

Corrbas removes the paraffin from the sea tooth. He takes out the knife point and wipes it clean. He puts the knife point and the sea dragon tooth into his satchel. He picks up the jar and opens it. He sees there is about quarter of a jar left of the sea dragon blood.

“Roooooarrrr! Rrrroooaaarrr! Roooaaaarr! Roooarr! Roaaaarr!” “Roooooarrrr! Rrrroooaaarrr! Roooaaaarr! Roooarr! Roaaaarr!”

He pours the sea dragon blood onto the cloth. He takes another cloth from his satchel to wipe the jar clean. He sees that he is able to do so. He seals the jar and puts a sealing spell on it just in case. He then puts it into his satchel.

Rrroooarr! Roaaaar! Rrrrrooooaaarrrr! Rooaarr!” “Rrroooarr! Roaaaar! Rrrrrooooaaarrrr! Rooaarr!”

He picks up the cloth pieces carefully by the corners and brings them near the edge of the stone embankment sea wall. Corrbas steps back quickly.

“Roooooarrrr! Rrrroooaaarrr! Roooaaaarr! Roooarr! Roaaaarr!” “Rrroooarr! Roaaaar! Rrrrrooooaaarrrr! Rooaarr!” “Rrroooarr! Roaaaar! Rrrrrooooaaarrrr! Rooaarr!”

Eingana quickly leans forward to consume and return her blood back to herself. As soon as she does that, all of the dragons stop their rage of anger and become quiet. They look around and see no one has left the arena. Some of the people remove the ear plugs and cloths from their ears when it gets quiet. All of the people are whimpering and crying still when it gets quiet.

King Dryden steps forward onto the platform. We all stand up and bow towards her, then we rise up again.

“You have done well, Twainor. The pact is sealed with honor. There is now peace between us all.”

Then everyone claps and cheer everywhere on Twainor. Everybody tries to calm down and clean their face of tears. All of the sea and land dragons shoot fire and water streams into the air. Once they get done with that, Eingana speaks up.

“King Dryden, I need to see one more person up here.”

“Yes Eingana. Who would you like to talk to?”

“I need Richard, from Earth here.”

I stand up and walk up to the platform. I give a formal bow to Eingana and rise back up.

“Greetings, Eingana.”

“Greetings, Richard. I sense a part of me in you. How did this happen?”

“Ruald thought he could change me and become stronger by eating or drinking wild animal blood. He also put a drop of your sea dragon blood into it as well.”

“I see. I can now sense your mind more clearly, to know what you did with your talents and presence here. You were able to thwart his plans. Because I know of your people's past, eating animal meat will not harm you. Except for the ones I suspect are poison to you.”

“Yes Eingana. I know of the poisonous plants and animals on Earth.”

“I also sense that you have conquered the inclination to kill and murder. You have eaten only fish and farm birds in your life time, so you can hear the Maker's Voice.”

“Yes, Eingana.”

“Then let that drop of my blood in you be our bond of friendship and thanks. When you go back home, the sea and land life there will sense you and keep you safe, including your mate and children. You will also probably meet my mate Leviathan some day.”

“I look forward to meeting him, Eingana. I'll greet him in your name.”

“Thank you, Richard. You can return to your seat. We'll meet each other again in the future.”

I walk back to my seat in the Thryson section. I get a hand on my shoulder from some people around me and some smiles.

Then Eingana looks at King Dryden. “King Dryden, since we are the rulers of the oceans, there is nothing you can do for us at this time to help us. Perhaps there will be a chance in the future. Right now, we'll act in good faith to help your fleets.”

“In what way can you help us?”

“Well, we won't interfere with your fleets. We can keep an eye out for thunderstorms that come upon you suddenly.”

All of the Port Governors, Commanders and Sea Captains present, smile when they hear that.

“If by chance one of the ships is damaged we can help tow your ship or ships to an island that is nearby. If there isn't one nearby, we'll make sure your crew won't drown.”

“Thank you, Eingana. That is greatly appreciated.”

“Now, this is an important question to ask. Do you know how the oceans behave?”

“What are you talking about, Eingana?”

The people of Twainor look at each other in wonderment. They don't know how to answer her question.

“Richard, how do the oceans behave on Earth?”

I stand up and step forward a few steps. Everyone looks at me.

“Oceans have currents like rivers on land. There are even underwater fire mountains. There are ridges and mountain ranges underwater. Each continent and underwater continent has its own movement creating land and sea quakes. These quakes can cause giant waves to ripple across the surface of the ocean at higher levels. Life can be at any level in the oceans.”

Then the people of Twainor, especially the sea captains look at me with astonishment.

“That's right, Richard. Twainor, you need to be aware of these currents. Some of your sea captains probably have come across them and appear as if going nowhere, or it takes longer to get there.”

The sea captains look downward and mumble to themselves. They nod their heads up and down in agreement and in humbleness.

“You'll need to map out these currents to begin understanding more about Twainor. As you learn the currents, you'll know more where you need to send your fleets to chase down the fish schools. We know the numbers of all sea life. We don't just eat them until a species is no more. We only eat what we need to live. There is a precious balance in the oceans. You will fish at a certain level in order to keep the balance in the oceans.”

Then all of Twainor bow their heads in humbleness.

“Thank you, Eingana. We'll listen to you and your sea clans. You'll teach us how to take care of Twainor so our future generations will enjoy it as well.”

Then Corrbas speaks up, “Richard, tell them what we found on Grand Mara Island.”

Eingana and the sea dragons look at me.

“Yes, Corrbas.” I stand back up. “Eingana, when we visited the Maranelle Islands yesterday. We crossed a wooden bridge over a stream. I looked in the water and saw the silver king fish swimming upstream. I pointed this out to them. They were amazed that an ocean fish species swims upstream to spawn and lay its eggs for the next generation.” I sit back down when I get done talking.

Eingana and the other sea dragons smile.

“That's right, Richard. It is the same here on Twainor as it is on Earth.”

Then three more Outside Helpers stand up.

“It is the same on my world, Eingana.”

“Yes, it is the same on my world Eingana.”

“I agree with them, Eingana. It is the same on my world.”

Then Tek, Chls and Kanyaa sit back down.

“You see, Twainor, the Maker knows what he is doing with His creation. You will learn more about Twainor step by step. Write down and record what you find. Your future generations will need to know this. From these encounters, they can leap forward in guessing and make better decisions on the unknown.”

“Thank you, Eingana. Your wisdom is only the beginning. We'll be sure to learn these lessons so we don't harm Twainor. We desire to keep Twainor a beautiful garden among the stars.”

“We know you will, Twainor. When do you have your kingdom meetings, King Dryden?”

“We have them at the full moon of the Outer Twin Moon. It is approximately thirty days apart.”

“Very good, Twainor. Since this is the first seven days of this period. We'll send our sea clans to your main ports at the next full outer moon. There you can greet them and introduce your sea captains and navies to them.”

“Thank you, Eingana.”

“Dragons of the land, I wish to have a talk with you.”

Then all twenty-four make a step and turn to look at Eingana.

“I wish to clear up and answer questions about us and where you come from.”

“We often wondered about that, Eingana. The only story that we remember is the Earth wizard who was able to save the land dragons by giving our ancestors the ability to swim and not drown during the Great Flood on Earth.”

“That is right, Belgaron. There was a time on Earth that your lives were threatened. The sudden increase in the human population forced you to look elsewhere for open land. If the Maker had not taken some of us here, there would have been very few of us.”

“The wizard said there are only fairies left on land.”

“Richard confirmed that with some of the history he knows.”

“That is probably right, Agaroan and Croin. Remember to be thankful to the Maker that you are alive here today and the people here have respect for you.”

“We will, Eingana.”

“How come we have never seen you or the sea clans while we fish for our meals?”

“The Maker told me to do so, Marcon, but you will now see us while you fish for your meals. It led up to this point to get their attention and for them to learn this lesson about the oceans. It seems the Maker knew this would happen. He didn't tell me who was going to come or when. Then he sent Richard to get all of Twainor's attention at once.”

Then all of Twainor bow their heads in humbleness. Some people near me hug me and whisper “Thank you” to me.

I mutter back to them. “You’re welcome.”

Eingana smiles at me.

I smile back.

“That is all for today, Twainor. May the Maker grant you all wonderful blessings each day.”

King Dryden responds likewise, “May the Maker grant you and the sea life in the oceans long life and great blessings as well.”

“Come sea dragons, let us return and make plans to teach Twainor how to fish properly.”

Everybody laughs. We all stand up and give a quick bow to the sea dragons.
All of the land dragons roar while their sea brethren return to the seas. Then the dwarf sea dragons take off flying into the air. Then they dive into the water. The rest of the sea dragons dip into the water and disappear.

We look at them while they swim away. Then King Dryden steps up to the platform. “It is now two full marks before the noon repast. We have time to do one more regional meeting. Because of the events that have taken place elsewhere; this meeting will be for all of the Upper and Under Kingdoms.”

“We hope to get some answers to the new questions that were found yesterday. Dragons, you may continue to enjoy your time together today. It is planned to have one more noon repast today in the Grand Castle. If all matters are settled by then, we'll finally end this time together and return to our kingdoms.”

Everyone claps and cheers together in one voice. The dragons even roar and shoot flames into the air.

“We'll now meet in the Grand Council Room for our last meeting. Dwarf Ambassadors, you're invited as well. Enjoy your time together, Twainor. The meeting with the sea dragons is now at an end.”

We all get up from our seats. The dragons immediately take off from the ground. They fly off to an area in the fields to continue their time together. We all walk back to the Grand Castle and the pavilions. We walk into the Grand Castle then to the Grand Council Chamber. Once we get inside the Grand Council we start to rearrange the tables and chairs into a larger circle.

The Outside Helpers sit near their respective King and Queen including the escorts. All four dwarf Kings and Queens decide to sit together and next to each other. The Dwarf Ambassadors sit near the respective kingdom they represent. The wizards and sorceresses do, also.

King Dryden begins the meeting. “Well, that was a very interesting meeting with the sea dragons.”

“Yes it was, King Dryden. As has been said, we have a lot to learn about Twainor.”

“We heard several suggestions about these regional festivals. I think that is a good idea.”

“You'll have to decide which events are done in each kingdom. Once that is done, you have to make sure there are enough inns to house the extra people.”

“We'll have to begin construction of those rooms quickly. We can share in that, Upper Kings, we can have some of the races in our Under Kingdom.”

“We intend to do that Under Kings. This is for the benefit of all. We need to include the sea and land dragons as well.”

“That's interesting. With the sea dragons we know they can swim faster than our fastest ships. So what can we do to include them and make it fair?”

“How about a mixed tag race? Like passing a baton to the next runner.”

“That's a good idea, King Hilmar. That can work very well. We can include a tight race around some islands to make it a challenge which will be unique for your region.”

“So which region wants to do it next year for the first time?”

King Tierion, King Jeriel, King Loran and King Thranton look at each other quickly. They begin to smile together.

“We'll be glad to do it first, King Dryden. When we are here for the festival this year here in this region, we'll have our leadership pay close attention to the details here. We need to learn what you have done here so we are not caught unawares of any problems on our part.”

“I agree King Jeriel. That will be very important. King Lhokte, King Deverell and King Keltan, how are you faring in your kingdoms?”

“Well, we'll need to expand some of our ports. The increase in shipping from our fishing fleets will need to be accommodated.”

“There is another issue as well. If we get an increase in fishing the seas, we'll
need to plan it better. If the extra food comes in and we don't eat it all, it will be wasted when it rots. What are we to do?”

“We discussed that as well, King Keltan. We know fish can keep frozen for about half year.”

“Yes, that's right King Tierion.”

“We need a very good count of what we consume in a year and each moon period. Once that is determined we need to set up secret caches in key locations in each kingdom.”

“Why do we need to do that?”

Some of the Kings begin to smile when they hear that.

“It's about planning for the future. We know there are enemies in this galaxy. If one of them comes here to wreak havoc on our world, our people won't be able to plant and tend to the animals until the danger has passed. Our fields or buildings can be set on fire.”

Evrat speaks up. “That is very true, King Tierion. Even though my world makes weapons, they have been bought by other worlds. There was one who tried to destroy our world with our own weapon. We were able to defend ourselves with a new weapon to neutralize that weapon.”

“You just need to rotate the fresh food and seeds that are gathered with the food in the secret caches.”

I decide to speak up next. “There is also another possibility, Kings and Queens. Not every year is the same weather wise. We have cycles on Earth when the rains come and when they do not. We had one year a long time ago, that it became so dry, and forest fires erupted during the hot summer. It put a terrible burden on our farmers when they lost their crops that year. It took another year for the land to recover to be used again.”

“Yes, that is a serious situation, Richard. We have had years like that here on Twainor. It was especially true during the First War. Our ships could not make their usual runs to the ports at the time.”

“Then it is agreed that we will do this, Twainor?”

All of the Kings and Queens look at each other with a smile and nod their heads up and down. Then they all respond in one voice. “Yes, we agree to the plan, King Dryden.”

“Very good, Twainor. Is there anything else that needs to be discussed before we go any further?”

King Deverell speaks up. “Richard, you said you discovered the silver king fish swimming upstream to spawn and lay its eggs.”

“Yes, King Deverell.”

“How does that affect us? I still don't see the bigger picture.”

“If a particular fish uses the Maranelle Islands streams for breeding, you must set aside a certain time not to fish from those streams. You can severely reduce that species numbers dramatically.”

“That's right, Richard. The fish need to find a protected place for their species to continue their existence. There are some that breed in different locations in the oceans or near shoals of islands. It is the same on my world as it with others.”

“You're right, Tek. We don't want to put the oceans out of balance. If that species disappears, then we won't be able to enjoy it on our plates when we have our meals.”

Then Telgon speaks up, “We also need to investigate our rivers in the Under Kingdoms. There might be a species that might breed in our underground lakes that are connected to the rivers and oceans.”

“Hmm... you do have a point, Telgon. We'll have to investigate those waters to see which one stays and which one swims to the oceans.”

“Well, is there anything else that needs to be discussed before we talk about what was discovered yesterday?”

Everyone looks at each other with a grim face. They shake their heads 'no'.

“Very well, Twainor, then let's begin what was discovered in Ruald's cabin first. Then we'll add what was discovered on the three men in the Abyss shaft. Wizard Corrbas begin with what was found.”

“Yes, King Dryden. We found several crystals and documents. The oldest document lists the people he was able to infect with the sea dragon blood. He was able to infect the original kings and queens at the time of the First War.”

“Was he able to infect others?”

“Yes, he was able to infect all of the commanders in Laurentil and Maranelle.”

Everyone present begin to have a long look in their faces as they try to visualize the events then.

“Was there anything mentioned about Nevidre and Laurentil, Wizard Corrbas, with their missing men?”

“No there wasn't, King Dryden.”

“Then let's see the documents from the three men, Wizards.”

“Yes, King Dryden.”

The wizards produce seven bags.

“We know which one belongs to whom. We know Master Wizard Galfnir was thrown down first into the Abyss.”

“Then let's see his documents.”

Wizard Pagsen opens the bag and removes one crystal and two folded documents. He walks around the room and hands them to King Hilmar.

King Hilmar breaks the seals on the folded documents. He opens them up and reads them out loud.

~~~000~~~

To Master Wizard Eldwin,
I know Dryden just became King in Angathorn. I'm sending a personal letter to you about grave consequences. Ruald, my Wizard in Training, has designs to bring great harm to Twainor. He earned the title of Second Wizard too soon in his life. How he got powerful is not known to me yet.
He was able to change the attitudes of the Kings of Laurentil somehow. I fear we are next. He has his spies in all three kingdoms here. I don't know who they are. I fear he has changed all of my Commanders as well. However, he hasn't reached Nevidre yet.
Tell King Dryden of these events quickly. There is still time to thwart his plans.
In the name of the Maker of the Heavens
King Treyson of the Maranelle Islands Kingdom

~~~000~~~

We all choke upon his words as we hear them. Some have tears coming down their faces.

King Hilmar opens the last document of Master Wizard Galfnir and reads it.

~~~000~~~

To Grand Wizard Eldwin
I write this letter in urgency. Wizard Ruald has taken over the military here in Maranelle Islands. I write this letter in secret. King Treyson is no longer for us. I recorded everything I could on several crystals over the years. I have them hidden. Their location is entrusted to a young Wizard in Training here. His name is Pallir. I don't know how our King's attitude was changed. I am hoping to transport to you soon by fleeing the kingdom here. He is coming for me right now. I'm going to put a small crystal inside me. Hopefully, I will be able to record his words and discover his plan.....

~~~000~~~

“That is the last thing he wrote, my friends. Wizard Corrbas activate Galfnir last crystal.”

“Yes, my King.”

Wizard Corrbas takes Galfnir's crystal and recite the spell to replay the crystal.

~~~000~~~

The scene shows Ruald and two men walking around a table in a small room. They are arguing on what to do next.

“Ruald, we must dispose of his body soon.”

“I know, Thriol. I just found the deepest hole on Twainor.”

“Where, Ruald?”

“It's called the Abyss, in the Under Kingdom north of here, Breagne.”

“Then let's dump his body there and be done with it.”

Then the image disappears for a brief moment. Then the image reappears in the
same room. Then they see a dwarf with just Ruald.

“Are you sure this is going to work, Ghathne?”

“We're sure, Ruald. Once the bomb is in the stomach, you need to have the electrical connectors mounted on the stomach towards the front. Once his body hits the ground, the connectors come together to complete the circuit. Then the battery inside the bomb creates the electrical discharge.”

“Then, it's no more body.”

“That's right Ruald, the body will be totally destroyed. There will be no evidence left as you requested. The electrical discharge from the Ethereal Space will magnify that explosion.”

“Excellent. I want you to make two more bombs like this one.”

“You know I require payment. Those materials cost a lot of gold and silver.”

“You'll get paid, Ghathne. I promise you that.”

Then the image disappears. This time we hear only words.

“Well, it's time to say goodbye, Galfnir. I'm going to be Master Wizard of Maranelle very soon. Soon, I'll be the only ruler of Twainor. Once all of the dragons are dead, then nothing will stand in my way. Hah, hah, hah.... “

Then the image disappears again. Then we hear Ruald again.

“Goodbye, Galfnir. I kept you alive all this time. I want you to see that you're disappearing into darkness. When you open your eyes, there will be a blinding light. Because the next instant you'll be dead! I found Thriol and Breagne could not keep their word and be in secret. Soon they will join you in the Abyss. Hah, hah, hah... “

Then we hear Galfnir’s own words out loud this time.

“Curse you, Ruald!!” Then he speaks more softly. “I must set a sealing spell on those connectors to keep them apart. Come on concentrate on the stomach. Yes... that's it; I see the connectors.” Galfnir recites the sealing spell.

Then he hears a voice below him. He sees a white dragon glowing.

“Who is coming to me in the deep shaft?”

“Catch me if you can, kind dragon, very easy. Please, I beg of you. If you do we'll both shall live another day!”

The white dragon catches him and looks at him while he sets him on the ground.

“You're a man from an Upper Kingdom.”

“Yes I am. Quickly shoot up some flames into the shaft.”

“Why should I?”

“I was thrown down here to be killed. I have a bomb within me.”

“What's a bomb?”

“It is like a fire explosion. Don't worry we're both safe for now.”

“Okay, I'll do as you say.”

Then the white dragon shoots some flames up the shaft. He turns to look at the man.
“I sense you're hurt.”

“Yes, Ruald broke my feet when he caught me. He did that to prevent me from running.”

“What is your name, man?”

“My name is Galfnir. I was the Master Wizard for the Maranelle Islands kingdom.”

“Why are you here?”

“Ruald, who is now Master Wizard. He plans to rule all of Twainor someday.”

“I don't like the sound of that.”

“I don't either, white dragon.”

“My name is Ryujin, wizard Galfnir.”

“Greetings, Ryujin. How did you get here?”

“ I was much smaller years ago. I wandered from my cave nest near the Rainbow Falls. I fell into this hole. I was too young and not able to fly out. Now I'm too big to fly up the shaft.”

“Then we'll keep each other company. If any more people are thrown down here let me know. I'll reach out with my mind to make it safe for them and for you to catch them.”

“When I catch them, should I shoot up another fire blast?”

“That's right, Ryujin.”

Thus ends the recording of the Wizard Galfnir's crystal

~~~000~~~

Everyone looks sullen and sad. They can't believe what they heard and saw.

King Dryden looks at everyone thinking hard. Then he speaks up.

“I'm sorry to break your concentration. I guess we know who the other two men are now.”

“Yes, King Dryden. Thriol was a Port Governor assistant in Nevidre.”

“Breagne was our Port Governor assistant as well in Laurentil Islands back then.”

“Now we know who they are. It answers the question of where they disappeared to.”

“Who is dwarf Ghathne, King Bnar?”

“He was the brightest and smartest Dwarf Designer in our Under Kingdom. He was in his twenties then. He passed away and joined the Creator about ten years ago.”

“Are there more like him there?”

“Yes, even though I never seen the bomb they made. They have showed me other electrical marvels as well. How they got the devices to work is still a mystery to me.”

“Do you know in which enclave they are located?”

“I do, King Dryden. That enclave is found on the outskirts of our major city of Light-crys. It is where my Fortress is.”

“We might need to visit that enclave and make sure no more bombs are being made, King Bnar.”

“I understand King Dryden. I would to. I was told last night a bomb was saved and disarmed.”

“We have it with us, King Bnar.”

A wizard stands up and removes the bomb from his pocket. Then another wizard stands and removes the two sealed bags. They place the items on the table in front of them for all to see.

Everyone looks at them with eyes wide open.

“Incredible, I never would have thought it possible.”

“We were also able to remove the explosives within the bomb. They are in the two separate bags. By themselves they are not powerful. But when put together the explosion is very powerful.”

“I believe you, Evrat. What can we do with this combination? It must be used for peaceful purposes.”

“It can be used for other things, but it must be used in small amounts if you use it for mining.”

“Perhaps the explosion can be controlled in a certain direction like in a long tube to create a rocket that launches into the black space.”

“It's possible we can do that, Geve. It will allow us to explore our star system.”

“Well, you have to take it one step at a time. Richard suggested that we create underwater craft to explore our oceans first.”

“Yes, Telgon, then you'll have the understanding how to create independent craft and keep people safe to breathe and eat.”

Everyone smiles upon hearing that.

“Well, the hard part is this. We found an entry in Ruald's diary after Draknor visited him. He states he will add to Twainor's sorrow by destroying a region.”

“Could seven of those bombs do the damage, Brentann?”

“Those seven bombs could, King Loran. Since the shaft is very deep, you already have direct access to the root of the mountain range. A new fire mountain can easily blast through, destroying King Thranton's Under Kingdom and set off the destruction of the mountain range itself by splitting the continent apart. The devastation would be total. The quakes could even spread to the other regions as well very easily.”

“Then it's possible there would be nothing for Ruald to rule.”

“He could pick up the pieces when all of the kingdoms fail and fall apart. He
could try to bring the survivors together to create his new kingdom.”

“Well, I'm glad the events didn't turn out that way. We're thanking the Maker for the dragons to remove themselves from the battle field. That was the first step in reconciliation.”

“Yes, it was, King Jeriel. We're also glad we have our Outside Helpers to continue that reconciliation.”

All of Twainor shouts out loud and praise the Maker.

“Thank you, Maker!”

“Thank you for Outside Helpers!”

“Thank you for the land and sea dragons!”

Dryden let it go for a moment more before he raises his hand to quiet us down.

Wizard Pagsen and Wizard Dekrane put the bomb parts into their pockets for safe keeping.

“King Bnar. Would it be alright if we visit your Under Kingdom?”

“I have no problem, King Dryden. It will put them on the spot to explain themselves.”

“I would like to have a visit in my Under Kingdom as well, King Dryden. It's possible these electrical marvels could be in more than one Under Kingdom. I certainly haven't seen anything new from them.”

“That very well could be true, King Thranton. I'll have mine investigated as well.”

“So will I, King Dryden.”

“Also, we have the seven bodies in my Basement. I'm hoping to do a show for Draknor while he wakes up. Perhaps we can get the truth from him.”

“We can do that, King Thranton.”

“Why don't you go ahead and open the documents from your Under Kingdom. I'm curious if there are more connections between us all here.”

King Thranton opens the document from his father's Sword-bearer Harrock first.

~~~000~~~

To King Thranduil,
I write this letter in haste from within the Fortress of Lord Wharchel. I'm being chased by dwarves loyal to Draknor. He has designs for your throne. I was able to escape from being captured with Wharchel's help. Somehow Draknor found a way to block our use of the contact crystal; perhaps with help from a wizard from an Upper Kingdom.
Wharchel gave me one of his info crystals. Perhaps I can use it to record Draknor's words if I'm caught again. Wharchel will try his best to contact you as well. But Draknor has all roads to your Fortress watched. I'm going to try and reach you in person and travel roads hardly used.
You are the best King we ever had. I pray to the Maker that your son, Thranton, grows up like you. Perhaps he will find a way to thwart Draknor's plan before it is too late.
Your loyal servant always and friend
Sword-bearer Harrock

~~~000~~~

King Thranton speaks quietly. “I miss you, Harrock.”

The three dwarf kings and four dwarf queens touch his shoulder. They look at each other and smile.

“Thank you my friends and my darling Rosina.”

“Anytime, Thranton, anytime.”

“Was there another document from Harrock, King Thranton?”

“No, there isn't. I'll replay the info crystal. Hopefully we can get some more answers.”

King Thranton recites the words to replay the info crystal. Soon they see Draknor and two other dwarves talking to each other in a small room.

“It must be in his mouth, Thranton.”

“I think so too, Rhur.”

~~~000~~~

“How could you lose him?”

“We're sorry, Draknor. It won't happen again. He ran down the main road and disappeared. We had to double back and find the narrow and unused path that he used.”

“Okay, he's trying to be clever. Well, you found him.”

“Yes we did, Draknor. He put up a good fight until we used a sleep dart on him.”

“What are you going to do with him now?”

“I'm going to throw him down the Abyss.”

“Yes, he'll never be found down there.”

“But, he's going to have a surprise here shortly. I'm expecting an arrival of a special package from a good friend.”

“Who is it, Draknor?”

“You'll see Yertaug, you'll see.”

Then appearing before them in a blink of an eye appears Wizard Ruald.

“Greetings, Ruald.”

“Greetings, Draknor. Is this your first conquest?”

“It is, Ruald.”

“Good, I have the package with me in my coat pocket. Can these two be trusted?”

“I do, Ruald. They will be part of Thranduil's inner circle once I capture them and replace them with my friends here. There is one more to join us that will complete the subterfuge.”

“Excellent, Draknor.” Ruald takes out the bomb from his pocket. He carefully removes the coverings of the electrical metal strips. He sets the bomb next to Harrock's body. “Is he awake as requested?”

Then the image disappears. The mouth closes over the crystal. Harrock moves the crystal under his tongue to hide it.

“Yes he is, Ruald.”

Ruald moves over Harrock's face and looks down at him. “Hello, Harrock. You can't speak or yell. Draknor was able to make you mute with a special spell I gave him. I'm going to put this bomb in your stomach. You'll be going to a special place here on Twainor. You will see darkness then you will see the light for a brief moment before it becomes dark again. Hah, hah, hah... ” Then Ruald whispers in his ear. “You're part of a bigger plan to bring more pain to Twainor than you'll ever realize. Draknor doesn't suspect a thing. I'm just using him for my bigger plan. Despair all you want. I will win in the end when some kingdoms disappear beneath the oceans.”

The image is dark now for a moment. Then we hear words again and see no images. We hear Draknor's voice.

“It's time for you to go, Harrock. Goodbye forever! I removed the mute spell. You can speak now.”

“Curse you, Draknor! The Maker will get you yet!”

“No, he won't. He doesn't exist! I'll be the supreme ruler of all dwarf kingdoms. Ruald promised me that! Hah, hah, hah....” His voice becomes quiet again as it fades.

As he falls he yells again, “Curse you, Draknor!”

After a few moments of silence in darkness, Harrock feels something within himself.

“What's this? I feel a sealing spell on me. What's that glowing below me? … It's a white dragon!”

“I got him, Galfnir.”

“Good, Ryujin. Bring him over here and set him next to the other men.”

“Yes, Galfnir.”

Ryujin lays Harrock down. Then Ryujin shoots up a ball of flame up the shaft.

“What is going on here? Who are you?”

“All in due time my dwarf friend. These two men you see didn't last too long. Their injuries were too severe for me to save. Their bones were broken before they were tossed down here.”

The recording ends.

~~~000~~~

Everyone has tears down their faces.

“That answers a lot of questions, my friends.”

“It most certainly did, King Thranton.”

“I can't believe this, but we heard it all. Draknor thought he was going to rule the Under Kingdoms, but Ruald had a bigger plan hidden behind that one.”

“Well, I doubt we'll get any more useful information from the other crystals. We'll probably get some last words and saying good bye to loved ones at least.”

“I'm sure the documents will prove that they tried to warn somebody who will listen that it is Ruald who did this.”

“Richard, can it get this bad if one gets sick from eating wild animal meat?”

“Yes it can, King Dryden. I've read some very bad stories. There was one dictator who tried to rule the world. He gave orders to kill about six million people of several particular groups of people along the way. He succeeded in doing so by rounding them up and executed them in special camps. However, there are survivors of this group. One of the groups is in one of the nations that can hear the Maker's Voice clearly today. It took several countries and about ten years to defeat this dictator. A lot of lives were lost on the battlefield for that world war.”

“Is that desire for world rule by an iron hand still exist there, Richard?”

“Yes King Quentin. It still exists. I still have no idea how the Maker will get them to stop fighting. He must have a way to do it that I'm not aware yet.”

“Well, let's hope the Maker has a way, Richard. We're all behind you.”

“Thank you, King Dryden.”

“Well, we still have time to visit these two dwarf Under Kingdoms before the noon repast here. Where should we meet if we arrive there, King Thranton and King Bnar?”

“We have the Grand Cave near my Fortress. There's more than enough room for all of us to be there. Better yet, appear in my throne room. It can hold about one hundred people.”

“We have the same amount of space as well in my throne room, King Dryden.”

“Good, I take it King Bnar this enclave where your Designers and Builders are real small. Not all of us will fit there.”

“Not inside, King Dryden. You'll need to appear in the streets near their door entrance. I'll need to pick up some of my Fortress Brigade for security purposes before we show up there.”

“Do we need some of us there or all of us there?”

“I think we all need to be there King Rhur. These plots affected all of us.”

“I agree King Gregor. We all should be there.”

“So, let's vote on it. All those who want to go say 'yes'.”

Everyone responds, “Yes.”

Anyone who doesn't want to go say 'no'.”

No one says anything.

“Very well, we'll all go to King Bnar's Under Kingdom first then King Thranton's. Hopefully we'll back before the noon repast. You can go and contact your kingdoms if you wish.”

“I won't be contacting mine, King Dryden. It needs to be a surprise visit.”

“I'm doing the same thing as well King Dryden.”

“That's fine, King Bnar and King Thranton.”

The rest of the Kings contact their respective pavilions to reach their Legion Commanders. They agree to keep the peace in the camps as best as possible until they come back.

Once the contacts have been made they all get up and walk out of the Grand Castle and enter the courtyard. They put hand to shoulder to their respective wizard and sorceress.

“Is everyone ready?”

“We are, King Dryden.” Everyone shouts in one voice.

“King Bnar, you have the lead.”

“Yes, King Dryden.”

“Then let's fly to King Bnar's Under Kingdom.”

The wizards and sorceresses recite the transport spell. We all disappear in a blink or a flash of light.

We fly southwest to Nevidre Kingdom. It takes some time to fly across the ocean separating the regions. Once we see the huge southwestern continent, King Bnar's group starts to make its descent.

up
46 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The Omega Unicorn Chronicles Book 1 Spring Break Chapter 22

Now that the truth is out, I am interested in seeing the repercussions when sentence is passed.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Seems Draknor and Ruald have

Seems Draknor and Ruald have some 'splaining to do', and it very fortunate indeed that the Outside Helpers are on the planet to help the kings and queens out on this entire matter.