A Christmas Fairy Tale

Printer-friendly version
A CHRISTMAS FAIRY TALE
by DebWeb

 
Dedicated to the hidden child, who resides in all of us.

 

 
I know a bank where the wild thyme blows,

Where oxlips and nodding violets grows,

Quite over-canopied with luscious woodbine,

With sweet musk-roses and with eglantine:

There sleeps Titania sometime of the night,

Lull'd in these flowers with dances and delight;

And there the snake throws her enamell'd skin,

Weed wide enough to wrap a fairy in

WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE

 


 
The unassuming village of Brea was a quaint little village that lay within the Shire of Aberdeen.

Located in a valley surrounded by verdant rolling hills of lush greenery, most of the year that is until July when the purple invasion intrudes upon the landscape.

Don’t worry about this forceful visitor as the locals always celebrated when it had made its presence known.

Yes all in all a quite an unremarkable rural oasis of tranquillity.

Tranquil for most that is. One of the exceptions was a quiet sensitive boy who went by the name of Adam Andersen.

Adam was very much a loner one of those people who in general was never noticed within any social gathering.

You might think this would upset a sensitive soul such as Billy but then you would be very much mistaken.

Adam enjoyed being invisible, all the sustenance he relied upon was the love of his family. To love and be loved by the close knit family he was part of was all he required to help him endure even his darkest hours.

Adam lived in a picture perfect white cottage sheltered below a thatched roof which always emanated a golden glow underneath a warm summer sun.

He loved this house every time he approached it he felt a sense of warmth and security.

This house was his lifeblood, his heartbeat, his sanctuary from what seemed like an uncaring world.

Sounds a bit overdramatic doesn’t it?

Well not for Adam, this was all he had to live for. Still sounds a little dramatic?

Let the story of Adam unfold then decide.

><><><><><><><

Margaret was a born worrier, she just couldn’t help herself she just wanted everyone to be happy (maybe it was a curse inherited from the family gene pool, or else it might be a gift?)

“What are you fussing over now lassie?”

“Oh it’s nothing of importance nana, really it isn’t.”

“Come on lassie, I know something’s bothering you, spit it out lassie.”

It always irked Margaret that Nana Blunt could read her like a book, it almost seemed as if Nana see inside her head and see her innermost thoughts.

“I’m just a little bit worried about Adam, I expected him to be home by now.”

“I understand dear but Adam is a special child, no harm will come to him.

Margaret loved and respected Nana Blunt, she had lived such a long time and the wisdom she imparted was a source of strength for her when she was at her most worrisome.

“But Nan, Adam is so vulnerable at the moment he really shouldn’t be alone, especially at this time of year.”

“Why do you worry over your brother so, you have a younger sister to impart the benefit of your experience.”

“Nana Blunt, Millicent is quite capable of looking after herself and you know she has a good friend to hang out with.”

“So what irks you so much, child?”

Oh, Nana, Adam is the best brother I could ever hope for but…”

“Good morning all, why the serious faces? Cheer up guys it will soon be Christmas.”

“Sometimes there are more important things than a Christmas dinner Lanky and I’m trying to have a heart to heart with your daughter if you don’t mind.”

Oh dear what bad timing, I hope Nan and daddy are not going to start another one of their bantering acts. They love each other really but sometimes daddy’s exuberance tends to annoy Nana.

Daddy isn’t Lanky by the way, well he is but he isn’t. What I mean is how do I put it politely? Daddy is what mummy calls rotund but I’m not sure what that word means. To me he is plump and jovial but lanky he is not.

What I’m trying to say is, his name is Lancaster I think he was named after granny Anderson’s favourite actor Bart or something like that.

“Everything’s fine daddy let me make a pot of tea for you and mammy to enjoy in bed with your morning newspapers.”

“You sit there sweetheart, for an eleven year old you shouldn’t fuss over the rest of us so much. I’m quite capable of putting the kettle on.”

After much banging and clanking and minus another cup in the crockery department “Lanky” headed back to his bedroom.

Poor Margaret fretted over yet another broken cup as she swept up the remnants into the dustpan.

“Come sit child we haven’t finished our talk yet.”

Margaret exhaled a long sigh she should have known this conversation could not be avoided. Nana Blunt may be very old she thought but still sharp as a tack.

“You know Adam is always at his lowest at this time of year Nan, but this year is different I feel like we are going to lose him forever.

Margaret fought a losing battle to stem the tears that inevitably rolled down her plump cheeks.

Nana looked upon the child with such pride, that this little girl was so full of love and compassion for her family and wise beyond her eleven years on this earth.

What concerned Nana Blunt was the cost of this gift of insight it could be a source of so much pain if not handled correctly.

This family was blessed from heaven, as the powers that decreed had sent this little angel down to grace their family and enrich the lives of all who knew her.

“I understand your concern child, Adam is going through a dark chapter in life but there will be light in the near future, we just have to persevere.”

Margaret was an intelligent girl but sometimes she was totally nonplussed at Nana’s nuggets of wisdom.

“I’m sure you’re right Nan but I’m just worried about the here and now. I don’t know if Adam has enough strength to see in this Christmas never mind the next.”

“Have patience dear, Nana chided, there are more things in this world other than heaven and earth.”

Nana could be so obtuse sometimes but Margaret as always bowed to her wisdom.

“Okay Nan we’ll take things as they come but I am still going to keep a close eye on Adam.”

“I’m sure you will dear just don’t forget Millicent needs your guidance to, she is such a precocious little girl.”

Margaret knew what Nan meant, Millicent was only eight but nothing seemed to faze her. Talk about curiosity killed the cat, that girl could get in so much trouble with that nose of hers.

A loud rasping noise suddenly emanated from the nearby bedroom.

“I think grandpa Blunt is awake Nana shall I fetch him a cuppa?”

“Don’t fret child I’ll tend to the old goat, you go about your way and tend to your own needs.”

“Nana don’t call grandpa such names,” admonished a giggly Margaret she knew Nana meant it as a term of endearment but it amused her as to how her elders would refer to one another” I suppose I could go tidy my room.”

“Go have some fun lassie and stop worrying about household chores, leave something for your mother to do.”

Such a fastidious child Nana mused as she went to tend to grandpa. I just wish she wouldn’t carry the weight of the world around with her.

Margaret caught herself peering out of the window again. Where has he got to she wondered, Adam often went off on long walks alone, any offers of company were politely declined as he claimed he enjoyed the solitude for quiet reflection. But she knew there was another reason he went off on his own, not that Adam knew that she knew.

Oops too many knews’ but you know what I mean, no more knows for a while.

“Maggie, whatya doin’ Maggie!

Margaret was shaken out of her revelry by her boisterous little sister, a bouncing ball of energy that would brighten the darkest of rooms.

You may imagine that Millicent was a tomboy but nothing could be further from the truth.

Actually Millicent was the epitome of femininity, yes the old cliché dictionary get the picture?

A girlie, girl full of a zest for life always in a pretty dress no place for slacks in her wardrobe.

Filled with an infinite exuberance and constant need to know anything and everything that piqued her interest, her beautiful golden locks fell to her waist in a delightful cascade of curls, it shone like a halo under a summer sun.

Don’t be fooled by the wrapping though, anyone who crossed her or the people she cared for faced a tempest of fury that would send them running for the hills.

“Good morning Millicent do you want some breakfast to start the day?”

“That’s okay thanks Margie I’ll just help myself to some cereal and o j.”

Margaret cringed inwardly at the name reference her sister used, Millicent knew how much it irked her but a scolding would only encourage her to use the term all the more.

Millicent gave sly side glances towards her sister to assess her mood, such a worry horse, if only she would chill out sometimes and stop clucking like a mother hen. After all they had a mother to fill that role.

She did love her sister dearly and always went to her rather than mammy if she had any problems she wanted advice on.

I suppose the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree as grandpa Blunt would say.

Margaret had inherited her looks from mum, with the same plump cheeks those lovely hazel eyes that seemed to slant upwards slightly to hint at a slightly exotic look and most adorable of all was the subtle cleft on her chin, unbecoming for many women maybe but it just set Margaret’s natural good looks off to a tee.

Millicent nagged her to her grow her short strawberry blonde hair longer as it would enhance the shape of her face.

Too much maintenance she would grumble got better things to do with my time.

If only her sister took more interest in clothes and other girly pursuits they could have so much more fun together, oh well at least she had her good friend to share clothes and what little make up she was allowed for an eight year old girl. Still, if only. Sigh.

“Is Adam off on one of his long walks again?”

“Yes but he’s been gone longer than usual I’m worried someone may have seen him… well you know.”

Margaret fought to repress her tears as each passing moment increased her anxiety.

“I’m sure he will be ok sis you know how careful he is, no one’s seen him yet.”

Millicent gave her a comforting hug in the vain hope it would ease her obvious distress.

“But we’ve seen him,” Margaret replied in an almost inaudible whisper resonating a tinge of fear. “What if God forbid Billy Le…”

“That pig!” shrilled a now thoroughly riled Millicent at the very mention of that hateful name.

Just the mention of that boy’s name could send her into one of her infamous furies.

“If he ever lays one finger on our Adam again I swear I will find a way to visit upon him a thousand pains.

Now every village has to have the obligatory village idiot and our villain of the peace certainly qualified for that role, he even found time to fulfil another role as full time bully.

Yes Billy Le Knut was a very busy boy indeed at the tender age of thirteen we can safely say with no fear of libel that Billy was an evil little pr!”*!

Poor Adam was always on Billy’s radar, even though Adam was the same age he could not equal him in physical stature.

Imagine if you will David and Goliath then you get an idea of the disparity between the pair, only this time round David got an absolute pummelling.

To explain this unpleasant encounter, (for Adam anyways) allow me to hark back several months.

It all kicked off at the purple heather festival, an annual village festival to celebrate the culmination of all the work put into fermenting the purple flowering tips harvested from the wild heather that grew in abundance on the surrounding hills.

If you feel the inclination to make some of this brew then boil the purple flower tips along with Scottish malts and wild myrtle leaves, this will extract the nectar thus giving flavour to the liquid, leave to ferment for a while and voila you have purple heather ale.

Anyway I digress too much.

The festival allowed the chance to attend in fancy dress and of course the Andersen children could not let such an opportunity pass them by.

Predictably Margaret was her usual conservative self and plumped for a Little Beau Peep outfit.

Millicent on the other hand just had to pick the most outrageous outfit she could think of, well who other than Lady Ga Ga?

Poor Adam was a big fan of David Bowie and after being besieged by an unrelenting Millicent he reluctantly agreed to accompany her Lady Ga Ga.

You can imagine the fun Millicent had aiding him on putting on the make up after he had donned his gold lame jumpsuit.

They were aiming for the androgynous look akin to Ziggy Stardust. Unfortunately for Adam what with his delicate bone structure it would be fair to say he looked like a pretty girl trying to emulate Ziggy.

Millicent was delighted with her handiwork and reassured him that he was the spitting image of his musical hero.

Adam as usual dropped his weak protestation after an onslaught of his sister’s enthusiasm.

It made for a curious spectacle I can tell you, to see Little Beau Peep clutching her staff and the oversized toy lamb tucked under her arm.

What with Ziggy Stardust and Lady Ga Ga flanking her sides it turned many an eye.

The village square was swamped with an assortment of stalls selling various local produce and many other wares.

What really enticed the children was the travelling funfair which drew them in like bees to honey.

Everything was going swimmingly well until that fateful moment when Adam’s world came crashing down.

Having had one glass too many of fizzy pop Adam felt the call of duty bidding, so he departed from the girls and dutifully proceeded to the toilet.

Once there he discovered he had a problem using the urinals due to his one piece jumpsuit so he retired to a stall.

After much fumbling with the zip he eventually found relief and reapplied his costume.

Adam was diligently washing his hands when a large shadow loomed over his small frame.

“Well what do we have here, is it a little pretty boy I see before me?” “Or maybe it’s a little girly got lost and just wandered into the wrong toilets” Where’s your mummy little girl? Are you going to cry ‘cause, you can’t find her?”

Adam stood paralyzed with fear looking up at the odious boy bearing down on him, a silly thought flashed through his dulled brain that he was about to be eaten by an ogre. Fe Fi Fo Fum!

Billy Le Knut was a big ugly brute much too overweight than a boy of thirteen had any right to be.

His buzz cut head added to the menace he imbued, his crooked bulbous nose was testament to his violent nature, not to mention the missing teeth.

What teeth he had left were yellow stained through neglect of personal hygiene. They looked even worse up close and personal when seen through his thin sneering lips.

Adam was in serious trouble and he knew it, his stomach was knotted in fear, he wanted desperately to throw up and Billy’s rancid breath was not helping matters any.

“What’s the matter little girl, cat got your tongue? Come here and let Billy kiss you all better.”

This was all the impetus Adam needed to attempt an escape, nimbly he side stepped Billy, ducking at the same time, if he could just make it to the door he knew he could outrun the heavy lumbering ogre.

Alas, it was not meant to be due to a cruel twist of fate, just as he almost outsmarted his nemesis he slipped on a wet patch on the floor and his feet betrayed him.

Billy grabbed his arm and threw him against the wall like a ragdoll with a horrid look of glee spreading over his mutilated face.

Adam was too stunned and winded to resist, he looked into the face of evil and resigned himself to his fate.

Billy was in his element now he fed off the fear that his prey was emanating.

This little pansy excuse for a boy was going to get what he deserved, oh yes he had it coming, no real boy would parade about in that get up, shit he was an embarrassment to real men.

“Get up you quivering little freak and fight like a man!” snarled Billy

Adam was the proverbial rabbit, he just couldn’t move not even to preserve his life, his limbs felt heavy as lead.

This was a no contest in Billy’s eyes but that didn’t matter to him. The feeling of power over the little fuck wit was manna to him, or so his deranged mind decreed.

“I’m going to mash you up real good you little sissy boy freak!”

Adam saw the lumbering ogre move toward him and braced himself for pain. He knew resistance was futile it would only prolong the agony.

He felt the fat stubby fingers roughly grabbing his slim wrist and started to slowly twist, oddly Adam could only fixate on those ghastly finger nails, how much more dirt could they hold he wondered as he distanced himself from his plight.

Then inevitable pain shot up his arm like a bolt of lightning, excruciating red hot pain and an awful pop in the region of his shoulder.

Bravely Adam tried not to scream and give this perverted monster any satisfaction from his suffering.

It was hard not to give in to the encompassing pain. It was the only awareness of his existence, mercifully the pressure eased off his arm.

Unfortunately the word mercy did not reside in Billy’s limited vocabulary as he went about his handiwork.

A sudden impact slammed into Adams stomach taking his breath away, can’t breathe, can’t breathe was all he could think as he tried to stave off the rising panic.

A crushing blow to his ribs was followed rapidly by a blow to the eye socket, Adam was petrified, not the nose, please not the nose he prayed, he didn’t want to resemble this beast in any shape or form, he would rather die.

Loud inebriated voices could be heard approaching the toilets, obviously whoever they were had imbibed a bit too much of the purple heather ale.

“Count yourself lucky you little turd, I was only just getting started,” and with a parting shot, Adam met Billy’s fist on the side of the head sending a ringing vibration all around his inner skull.

Barely seeing Billy take to his feet or feeling any relief that his ordeal was finally over Adam passed out.

To cut a long story a bit shorter allow me if I may to provide a synopsis regarding the rest of the whole sorry affair.

Adam woke up in the first aid tent to the kindly administrations of Ethel the regional district nurse.

Mum and Margaret certainly were not making it easy for her, what with all their fussing around but Ethel was a large portly woman to put it politely and only just managed to fend them off.

Typical Millicent was jumping up and down in uncontrolled fury “I’ll kill him I will I’ll kill him.”

“Now Millicent, violence is never the answer,” admonished mother, “violence only breeds violence.”

“But look what he did to our Adam!” screamed Millicent.

“Your dad has gone to talk to Billy’s father don’t stress so much dear.”

Billy was infamous within the village, all the residents were very aware of the shenanigans that the vile boy was capable of.

It didn’t take a brain surgeon to add it all up when Billy was observed fleeing the toilet in his wobbly gait, leaving Adam crumpled on the floor.

And with the physique Billy possessed he never ran unless he had to.

“It’s not as bad as it looks,” Nurse Ethel announced in her bellowing manner as if everyone was partially deaf, actually Ethel was partially deaf.

“The worst damage was a dislocated shoulder which I popped into place while Adam was out for the count, the rest of the wounds are all superficial he’s almost as good as new,” she bellowed.

Millicent couldn’t resist the temptation to stick her fingers in her ears to lessen the volume coming out of Ethel’s mouth, and I thought I was the loudest person in the world she mused but I don’t have a patch on her.

As for the rest, as tempted as they were, politeness dictated they refrained from doing so.

Oh to have the freedom of a precocious eight year old girl!

Adam was taking umbrage at being described “as good as new” he was in pain all over.

“Come on darling let’s get you home and get plenty of bed rest.”

Mother could fuss around quite a lot, hmm what was it about the apple not falling far from the tree? Margaret was hanging on to Mother’s arm nodding her head vigorously in agreement.

Overwhelmed by the love of his family Adam shed a solitary tear which he hoped no one noticed.

No one did, they were too busy fussing over him.

No one that is except for Margaret, well what did you expect, she does have the gift of extraordinary insight.

On arriving home they witnessed a very unfamiliar scene unfolding in the lounge.

The usually laid back head of the family was displaying a rather unusual scarlet red hue about his personage well allow me to add a bit of dramatic licence, it is my story after all.

Okay, father’s face was a beetroot red (does that sound better?)

“Whatever is the matter Lancaster?” mother enquired

“Joyce you will never believe what happened when I went to visit Billy’s father, the audacity of the man!”

“Didn’t he listen to you dear?” Poor Joyce was beside herself, she had never seen her loving husband in such an agitated state before.

Lancaster realised he was frightening his children by his angry demeanour so he bit his tongue and with the greatest of effort he tried to give the impression of calmness, on the exterior if nothing else.

“Not in front of the children darling we shall discuss it later,” murmuring in his wife’s ear out of the curious children’s hearing range.

Joyce gave her husband a slight nod of understanding that would be imperceptible by the children.

And it worked, well almost, what did I say about Margaret? She could pick up on these social nuances to.

Joyce pulled herself together she knew she had to be strong for her family’s sake.

“Margaret, Millicent, take Adam to his room and make sure he is well looked after.”

“Yes mammy” the girls replied in unison, at that prompting the sisters gently took a hand each and guided Adam to his room.

As for Adam he was in so much pain and a weary fatigue was descending upon him, maybe it was delayed shock after all the day’s events, all he wanted was to close his eyes and drift off into blissful dreamless sleep.

Joyce checked the lounge door that led to the hallway to ensure the children were out of hearing range.

“Lancaster what is angering you so much, I’ve never seen you so enraged in all the time I’ve known you?”

“I’m so sorry for my behaviour my love, the sight of you and the children made me realise I was reducing myself to his level.”

Joyce was bewildered, “Who’s level Lank? Talk to me, you’re not making any sense at the moment.”

“I really could do with a stiff drink to settle my nerves. Joyce, would you mind fetching me a low flyer?”

“Of course not my dear, you look ready to burst, sit down and try to relax.”

“Oh and darling I think you should pour yourself a large Brandy, I think you might need it.”

Lancaster slumped into his favourite armchair with a feeling of utter helplessness weighing down on his heart.

He tried to console himself in the fact that Nana and grandpa were sound asleep and oblivious to this whole debacle.

Joyce returned with the drinks, a look of concern on her handsome face.

A woman of beauty in her youth she had accepted the passage of the years and grew older with good grace.

She had borne three beautiful children within her womb, what could be more important than that?

All the stories she had heard about mothers going to any length to protect their babies, some were probably urban myths but she got the gest.

All her babies received unconditional love, each in equal measure. She would fight tooth and nail to protect her cherubs.

Then why did she feel such guilt that she was not there to protect Adam from harm, she had let her precious son down.

“Joyce dear, my drink,” Lank enquired to nudge her out of her trance.

“Sorry honey, I was miles away for a moment there.” His wife handed him a tumbler containing a generous measure of whisky.

“I understand dear it’s been a trying day for all of us to say the least.”

Lank looked a bit more like his old self Joyce thought.

“Please tell me Lank what got you worked up to such a state?”

Lank looked over towards his wife and counted his blessings, he could never quite understand what this vision of beauty ever saw in him, yet she willingly married him anyway.

This was bearing down hard on Lancaster he had let his beloved family down today.

He was in the pen is mightier than the sword school of thought, a peace loving man ,but how do you deal with people who are of stunted growth both psychologically and emotionally.

“Lancaster, are you still with me?” Joyce enquired.

Shaken out of his thoughts Lancaster gave his wife an apologetic smile in the hope it would ease the tension that was apparent on her lovely face.

“Just gathering my thoughts dear,” he reassured her.

“Then tell me what made you so upset,” Joyce almost demanded, her patience getting the better of her.

“Well dear,” Lancaster replied tentatively. “I thought I could reason with the man and inform him about his son’s rather unacceptable behaviour and, well ah ahem….”

“What Lank what did he say!” Joyce was getting impatient now.

“He is such a bullish man Joyce he just said boys will be boys and then he actually laughed. I tried to explain that there was no instigation by Adam to warrant such brutality and that it was an unprovoked assault perpetrated by Billy.”

“And then! Joyce’s voice was like cold steel, hard and undulating, what else did he say Lancaster?”

“He asked me if there were any witnesses to back up my accusations, well I could only tell the truth, after all only two people saw Billy quick foot it out of there and it is no crime to be jogging, as he so eloquently put it.”

“We have to call the police this has to be dealt with now before that despicable boy seriously hurts Adam.” Joyce still carried that ring of steel in her voice.

It did not go unnoticed by Lancaster either, how could he broach the subject without raising his wife’s ire, as if that was possible.

“Honey you’ve forgotten one important detail.”

“What!” she demanded rather curtly.

“Our village bobby just so happens to be P.C. Le Knut” a crestfallen Lancaster replied.

Realization slowly dawned on Joyce’s face, amidst all the drama of the day she had forgot who Billy Le Knut’s father was.

“Oh my goodness what are we going to do Lancaster?”

“I’ll tell you what you are going to do young lady,”

Lancaster and Joyce almost jumped out of their chairs at the sound of this resolute voice pervading there lounge, it was brimming with authority and demanded to be listened to with the utmost respect.

Nana Blunt strode in with such vigour, it defied her ninety two years of life on this mortal coil.

“Mother you should be resting,” Joyce was shocked at the visage of this woman who had been her bedrock from the time she took her first faltering steps. She had never seen her looking so regal.

A tall imposing woman with a face that told a story within the light wrinkles which adorned her handsome face, despite almost a century of life you could still see a hint of the beauty and vibrancy which she had once possessed in her youth.

Lancaster tried to regain a modicum of composure, “Nina he sputtered, please do not let this concern you, why don’t you go and enjoy your bed rest?”

Although Lank would never admit it he adored this lady, she emanated an aura of strength and confidence which always served to inspire him.

If the truth be known in the early years of courting Joyce he felt a little intimidated in the presence of the charismatic Nina Blunt, but with the passage of time he came to understand that once the outer layer was peeled away there lay an infinite amount of love and compassion.

“Don’t you Nina me young man, you will not broach my first name I am nana to the children and mother to you both, that is what defines me within this family and that is how you will address me.”

Poor Lank lost what composure he had tried so hard to regain after Nina’s dramatic entrance.

“I’m sorry Nina I mean Nana Oh ah… Mother,” Lank was really getting in a fluster.

“Enough of this tittle tattle,” demanded Nana Nina.

Nana, Nina? Oh dear these names are getting a bit confusing for this simple narrator, let’s just defer to her as mother or nana. I’m only human okay? Hmm well maybe not quite, anyway where were we. Oh yes I remember.

Nana Blunt commanded the room as the two adults were like cowed children after receiving a reprimand for being naughty.

“Listen to me now, here is what we do.” Nana paused mid, sentence to ensure she had there undivided attention. Satisfied that she had, she proceeded with authority.

“We do nothing!” An adamant Nana Blunt declared.

Lank and Joyce’s faces were a picture to behold. I wish I’d had a camera with me to capture that image for posterity. Oops pardon me for interrupting I’m just a silly narrator.

A stunned silence filled the room as the parents tried to digest Nana’s declaration.

Joyce was the first to recover, “We have to do something mother, a wrong has to be righted.”

“And it will be child of mine there are more ways to disperse justice other than man made laws.”

Is mother finally going senile? A worried Joyce mulled.

As for Lank, he sat there lost for words and he dare not raise the ire of this imposing woman who seemed to be on a mission, her face looked like it was set in stone and no one could deter her plans for the future of this family.

“Uh Ni…mother just what are you proposing?” A tentative Lank enquired.

“Did you not hear me Lancaster? We do nothing, trust in the powers that be and allow everything to follow its natural course.”

“Mamma, are you feeling alright?” Joyce was getting rather worried about her mother’s state of mind and had reverted back to addressing her as mama as she had referred to her in childhood.

“Nana Blunt gave her daughter a stern look and gazed intently into her eyes. That look convinced Joyce that her mother was sane and serious, she felt like little girl again being rebutted for doing something naughty.

“Joyce, have I ever let you down in your entire life?” Nana asked in a hushed tone that still carried authority. “Have I ever given you reason to mistrust my judgement?”

“I’m so sorry mamma, I have never had any reason to doubt you, I would trust you with my children’s lives, please forgive me mamma.”

Try as she might Joyce could not contain her tears anymore, a well spring sprung forth and streamed down her rosy cheeks. This day had been too overwhelming and she felt bereft and so helpless.

An alarmed Lank rose himself from his armchair and strode to the couch, it felt like his whole world was crashing down upon him.

Joyce felt a familiar pair of arms entwine her and reached out to reciprocate, the reassuring scent of her husband consoled her and she began to gather herself.

Nana Blunt looked on with pride at the scene unfolding before her, she knew Lank was full of insecurities but she was also aware that this man was stronger than he realised himself.

Yes Lank had his foibles but that was what made him a man he was not afraid to show his emotions when it came to his families welfare.

“So are we agreed?” Nana Blunt asked gently.

Lank and Joyce looked into each other’s eyes and came to the same decision no words were required between two soul mates who had been married as long as these two lovers.

“Yes mamma we shall allow things to follow their natural course.” Joyce found comfort in the fact that a decision had been made.

Lank swallowed hard in an effort to choke back his emotion. “I love you mother and I’ve always respected your judgement we shall bow to your wisdom.”

Nana Blunt nodded her head in satisfaction. “We are decided then, the path we have chosen will not be a smooth one, there will be trials and tribulations but we must persevere and remember children I will always be here even when it may seem I am absent.

“Whatever do you mean mamma, you’re frightening me now.” Joyce was beginning to feel unsettled again the very air seemed all pervading with a sense of doom.

“Fear not child, Nana Blunt reassured, persevere and be content with my promise that all will be well.”

“Mother we shall abide by the decision we have made here tonight, although I don’t understand all you say.” Lank had lost his usual jovial manner what with all the day’s events.

“We are not meant to see into the future Lancaster, that is why we have faith and hope, without these qualities what would define us as human?”

“Oh mamma you make me feel like your little girl all over again, Joyce exclaimed, you always guided me down the right path and all that I have which I hold most dear came about by your guidance.”

Joyce rose from the couch, she felt an overwhelming need to embrace this wonderful woman who had borne her, loved and nurtured her throughout her childhood.

Nana Blunt whispered into her ear. “Stand tall girl, there are difficult times ahead but you must endure.”

Taken aback at her mother’s words Joyce could only comply and nod her head in agreement.

And with that Nana rose from her rocking chair and suggested they should all retire to bed and gather strength.

Oh dear, did I say synopsis a little while ago? I’m only the silly narrator trying to impart a story, please forgive me if I start to ramble once in a while.

Let us proceed to the present.

“I think we should go to the woods and search for him.” A subdued Millicent suggested.

The wood’s was a local small forest that was one of Adam’s favourite haunts which afforded him the privacy to be himself.

“I don’t know.” Margaret was reluctant to cause her brother any distress if he was… well we shall not go there.

“Could you live with yourself if he has been hurt and lying helplessly injured all alone?” chided Millicent.

“You know I would never forgive myself if any harm came to Adam but you know how he likes his privacy.”

“Well I don’t care about privacy any more I’m going to find him, are you coming or not?”

Margaret did not fail to notice the petulance in Millicent’s voice and knew her sister was on a mission, once she set her mind to a task she was unstoppable.

“Shall we start at the pavilion by the pond?” Margaret conceded to her sister’s course of action.

“I think that’s the best place to start he always seems to hang around that area.” Millicent calmed down, happy that her decision had been accepted by her big sister.

The pavilion was really a wooden shack in the middle of the woods, used only in winter as a changing room for the curling and ice hockey brigade who took advantage of the pond when it froze over.

Unfortunately for these intrepid ice skaters this winter had been too mild to safely negotiate the ice.

The sisters wrapped up snuggly in their duffle coats and scarves as there was a nip in the air, even though the sun shone brightly in a vain effort to rid the chill on another wise lovely day.

The girls reached the wood quickly after making haste at a brisk pace, the village had been deserted as they passed through this early in the morning, only the clanking of milk bottles could be heard nearby as the milkman delivered his rounds.

Margaret opened the gate which creaked loudly on its rusty hinges disturbing several robin redbreasts and sending them off in full flight from their warm abode.

The anxious pair followed the dirt path until they reached a small wooden bridge straddling over a gushing brook.

They faced a dilemma at this point as several paths forked off in various directions, the whole wood was a warren of paths created either by the constant patter of rabbits feet or the forestry commission dragging logs with a big Massey Ferguson and also the widest path of all which was an unused railway track abandoned after world war two.

“Maybe we should split up and meet at the pavilion.” Margaret suggested

“No let’s go to the pavilion first it’s only a five minute walk.” Millicent was unusually subdued. She would never admit it but she found the silence of the woods creepy and didn’t want to be alone. For all her bravado earlier she was relieved Margaret had agreed to accompany her.

Margaret noticed her sister’s discomfort but said nothing she gave a nod and proceeded down the path which led to the pavilion.

It was so beautiful and serene with the sound of birdsong and the sun’s rays breaking through the leafless canopy lending a golden hue in the chill air. Margaret could empathise with Adams love for this little haven it was a sanctuary from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.

She was shaken out of her musings by a suddenly excited little sister.

“Did you hear that Margie?” exclaimed an agitated Millicent.

Margaret winced at the name term, but was distracted by a keen wailing sound, maybe it was a bird she thought, there it was again and she realised it was a human sound of someone in great distress, she instinctively knew it was Adam.

The girls looked at one another in wide eyed surprise, “Adam!” They screamed in unison and took to their heels as one. It looked as if the devil himself was chasing them.

In no time at all they reached the clearing with the pavilion in sight, adjacent to the large pond, although to the girls it seemed to take an age.

The source of the pain could be seen and heard at a near distance, a solitary figure sat upon the wooden steps leading up to the pavilion door. His torso was doubled over with his head resting in his lap and arms wrapped around the back of head as if in a desperate attempt to shut the world out.

Margaret could feel his pain even at this distance, it felt as if someone had reached into her heart and wrenched it out, oh dear God how much more pain was Adam feeling, she could barely imagine. She was shaken out of her stupor by a screaming Millicent careering head long towards her brother as if her life depended on it.

“Adam! Adam!” Millicent’s shrill voice pierced the chill air and echoed around the clearing, it sounded as if a hound from hell had been let loose.

It was loud enough to assault Adams ears as he looked up to see the mortifying sight of his sisters sprinting toward him.

“Nnnnoooo!” he wailed “Go away you mustn’t see me like this, go away please!” beseeched a desperate Adam.

It was to no avail of course, fire and brimstone could not keep his loving sisters away in his time of need.

“It’s okay Adam we’ve known for months now, please don’t feel ashamed we love you for the person you are, we understand honestly we do.” Margaret was trying to placate and reassure Adam at the same time, which took some effort as she tried to regain her breath after the long sprint to reach her brother. She was not the most athletic of girls.

Millicent tried to wrap her arms around her brother in an attempt to provide comfort but he quickly shied away in avoidance, of course Millicent being Millicent would not be deterred she grasped his hand and hung on for dear life.

Adam tried to avoid those piercing blue eyes that his youngest sister fixed intently upon his face in an effort to get his full attention, those very same eyes he normally adored. He often thought he could drown in those pools if he looked into them for too long. They were such a vivid shade of blue that sparkled and exuded such a positive energy and zest for life.

Whoever said the eyes are the window to the soul was a very wise person indeed.

If he’d only summon the courage he would see eyes full of love and compassion and no recrimination.

“Adam, nothing’s changed, we love you dearly and adore you, we only want to help, please let us dear brother.” Millicent could be very gentle when the need arose.

“I’m a freak, just a pathetic waste of space,” howled Adam,” look at me, look at how ridiculous your big brother is, oh God I just want to die I wish it was all over I just want the pain to stop.

Contrary to Adams comment the girls thought their brother looked very fetching in his apparel.

Attired in a pink hooded sweater with the pineapple logo displayed across the chest hiding what appeared to be slightly protruding mounds, to complete the outfit Adam wore a blue denim mini skirt and his legs were clad in shiny black opaque tights. (40 denier Millicent guessed, but Margaret knew for certain, because they were still in the wrapper when they disappeared from her room several months ago)

“Adam you look beautiful, anyone who didn’t know would swear you was a girl.” Margaret meant it as she always thought Adam looked too pretty to be a boy.”

“Sis is right bro’ or should I say sis number one cause you are the oldest of us girls.” Millicent always had to get her tuppence worth in. “I love your hair how did you manage to curl it like that?”

“Stop mocking me I know my life is over please, leave me alone,” Adam was on the verge of tears again.

“We’re not,” protested a vehement Margaret who was slightly shocked that her brother would even think his sisters’ were capable of such a thing,” I would never lie to you and I know I’m talking for Millicent too.”

Millicent was vigorously nodding her head in agreement. “I really do like what you’ve done with your hair that cute little bob really frames your face and that hint of makeup really shows of your cheekbones.” Millicent was on a roll now. “Hooray at last I’ve got a big sister with style, who loves fashion and cosmetics.”

“Shut up you.” Margaret playfully nudged her sister in the ribs, “I have fashion sense it’s just more sophisticated than yours.”

“In your dreams Margi,” retorted an indignant Maggie.

An overwhelming warmth of love enveloped Adam’s chilled body, he knew his clothes were inappropriate in this cold weather, not to mention the fact he was a boy. Here he stood in the middle of the wood dressed in a mini skirt and tights in the company of his sisters who were more intent on heckling one another than ridiculing him. They had not batted an eyelid. It was as if it was the most natural thing in the world to them, just three sisters out for a morning stroll.

“Margaret, Millicent, I could really use a hug right now.” Squeaked Adam as his voice waivered and tears flowed freely down his cheek washing some of his pain away.

Both girls immediately stopped their bickering and made a dash for Adam, arms spread akimbo as if they were both racing for first prize.

It was an effort for Adam to maintain his footing as the girls collided into him with flailing arms wrapping him in a warm cocoon of hugs, he was almost suffocated but Adam had no complaints.

After loads of comforting hugs and pecking Adam did finally come up for air and felt a hundred times better than he did ten minutes earlier, he still had a heavy heart when his mind was jolted to the awful encounter he’d endured almost an hour ago.

“What’s wrong Adam?” enquired a concerned Margaret as she noticed his crestfallen face.

“How did the back of your skirt get all dirty? “Oh and your pretty sweater has mud smears down the back, let me try to clean it off.” Millicent started to rub the worst of it with the heel of her hand.

Adam side stepped to avoid her ministration, “It doesn’t matter anyway after today I’m never going to wear them again in fact I’d weigh them down with a stone and fling them as far into the pond as I could, then I would tie stones to myself and follow them in.”

The girls looked awe struck at what he just proposed the steely determination in the tone of his voice frightened them even more.

Millicent was so upset she started to bawl her eyes out.

On seeing the pain he had inflicted on his sweet little sister his face gave way to an expression of instant regret. How could I let my own self, pity hurt those dearest to me? I am a waste of space if only I could curl up under a stone and die with no one noticing, he thought.

The site of a crying Millicent was breaking his heart and compounding the guilt he felt, he reached out and gently pulled the tender little girl into his embrace.

“I’m so sorry little sis’ I didn’t really mean it, I promise I’ll never do anything as dreadful as that, it’s just that life is very hard for me at the moment.

“Millicent, feeling consoled stemmed her tears and ceased her crying. “Promise you’ll never leave us Adam, I couldn’t bear it if anything bad happened to you.”

Adam look down at his sister’s tear stained innocent eyes, it pained him so much to know he was responsible for dulling those usually vibrant sparkling eyes which he admired so much, what sort of monster was he? Was he any better than Billy Le Knut who dispensed pain to all and sunder?

Millicent was asking for a promise he couldn’t fulfil, he knew he had to run away from the village and leave the family he loved so dearly.

Margaret saw the look of indecision flit over her brother’s face and decided to intervene.

“Something happened in the woods this morning didn’t it Adam?” Good reliable Margaret, that gift of insight never fails. “That’s why you never came home for breakfast at your usual time, I know what a stickler for punctuality you are, why do you think we came looking for you?”

Realization dawned on Millicent too, even an eight year old could comprehend something was wrong with this scenario.

“Adam how did you get so dirty, you are almost as fussy as me when it comes to keeping clean?”

On closer scrutiny little sister saw the bruises on her brother’s neck.

“Oh my goodness, Adam you’re hurt what happened?”

Adam swallowed deeply, this was a line of questioning he had hoped to avoid, if they found out Margaret might cotton onto his intention of running away. He could almost swear his sister could predict the future.

“Billy Le Knut saw me, I think he followed me into the woods and spied on me.” Adam caved in and confessed all. “I was very careful as I always am, but he sprang out from that oak tree over there and caught me by surprise.”

“Oh Adam how did you escape that vicious brute?” a rapt Millicent enquired.

“It was surprisingly easy really, he grabbed me by the neck and ranted on about something that it was my fault he got a whipping from his master, I’m sure he was crying ‘cause I felt his grip loosen and I managed to squirm out from beneath him and I just took to my heels and ran.”

Margaret and Millicent felt the need to comfort their brother once again with flailing arms and lots of hugs, Adam didn’t complain.

The morning was moving on and Margaret thought they really should be arriving home before their elders noticed they were missing.

“Where’s your boy clothes Adam?” Margaret asked.

“They’re gone, when I was sure I had given Billy the slip I returned to fetch my satchel but it’s not where I left it.” There was an edge of panic in Adam’s voice. “I can’t go home like this, what if I’m seen?”

“Calm down Adam, lets search again maybe you was so upset you looked in the wrong place.”

Adam shook his head sullenly, “there’s no point sis I always hide them in the same place under the pavilion. I just know Billy took them before I got back.”

Adam’ face crumpled as he realised he felt like a cornered mouse with nowhere to turn.

“Don’t upset yourself we’ll think of something,” soothed Margaret.

Meanwhile Millicent was turning a strange shade of purple and a feeling of outrage was building within her petite frame. How dare that lumbering brute hurt her beloved brother, AGAIN!

“I’ll kill him, I’ll kill him, I will, I’ll kill that ghastly Billy Le Knut!” Hell hath no fury like a Millicent scorned!

Adam and Margaret forgot about their current predicament as they looked on at this spectacle unfolding before them.

It was a vision to behold as this tempestuous little girl of whom they loved dearly was jumping up and down on the spot with her delicate little hands curled into tiny fists punching the air, most probably imagining Billy Le Knut on the receiving end. Good job it was not the season for midges as they wouldn’t have survived such an onslaught.

Her two siblings just couldn’t contain their amusement any longer and burst into a hysterical fit of giggles.

Millicent froze on the spot she had been furiously jumping on and looked at her “sisters” who were bent double with laughter, clutching their bellies with tears rolling down their faces.

Why were they laughing she wondered, had she missed out on something? A frown slowly formed on Millicent’s face which only served to feed her “sisters” amusement.

“What’s so funny?” Demanded an indignant Millicent, “Tell me what’s so funny!”

“Now, now, Millicent you know violence is never the answer.” Adam mimicked their mother’s voice flawlessly.

“Well I heard grandpa say something about fighting fire with fire.” Millicent was very proud of her clever reply.

Margaret ,as ever the practical one interjected, “let’s not get into all the things adults say, it’s getting late and we have to get Adam home before the village folk go about their business.

“I could run home and fetch Adam some boy clothes, volunteered Millicent, although I think the nice ones he is wearing suit him much better.

Adams cheeks coloured slightly, but privately he felt quite flattered, “hey I’m still here you know?” He felt he was being left out of the decision making.

“We know your still here with us Adam and we’re all going home together so come dear sisters’ of mine lets go.” There was a slight tone of mischief in Margaret’s voice.

“Sis, you know I can’t walk through the village like this,” Adam was aghast at the very thought, “I’ll be a laughing stock soon enough when Billy tells everyone, but that doesn’t mean I should display myself to everyone in the village.”

“Take off your sweater,” Margaret felt in her element again, organising things for the smooth running of her family.

“Are you crazy Margaret?” Adam thought she had really lost her noodle, after all the chilly morning was now invading his bones and he was almost shivering.

“I’ve got enough noodles to get us all home safely,” she admonished “so get that sweater off right now!” Margaret had some foibles and she could come across a bit bossy sometimes, but it was only because she wanted the best for her family.

Knowing better than to protest any further a reluctant Adam began pulling the sweater over his head, after much rugging and tugging, he eventually succeeded. It was one of Margaret’s tops that he had pilfered after all and it was a bit tight on him.

“Margaret why have you taken off your duffle coat, a concerned Adam enquired, put it back on or you’ll catch your death in this cold.

“Swap”, she ordered, “my coat and scarf for your sweater.”

Realisation began to dawn on Adam and he thought it might just work.

Bright as a button little Millicent caught on too.

“You really are so clever big sis,” a complimentary Millicent admired.

“I do have my moments little sis’ of mine.” Margaret tried to hide her pride but she inwardly patted herself on the back for this little master stroke of hers.

“I think this will work,” remarked Adam, “as long as no one approaches us directly, but I can’t walk into the house dressed like this.”

“Fear not my fictional cousin should anyone approach you, hood up, and scarf over your chin, got the idea cousin?”

Adam was growing in confidence, he thought he could pull this off but there still remained the problem of getting past his parents without notice.

Margaret knew how to overcome this problem but she intentionally didn’t mention it hoping that her brother would gather the courage to be honest with their parents.

“You know mammy and daddy really love us Adam?” Broached Margaret knowing this was a sensitive situation requiring all of her diplomacy.

An inquisitive Adam gave all his attention to his inventive sister, wondering what she was scheming now. “Yes I know they love us lots sis.”

“They would understand you know if we just walked into the house and explained everything about today and how you really feel that you’re a girl.

Adam was horrified at the prospect although it held a certain appeal, he just was not ready to ‘fess all to his parents, especially not dressed like this, it was too much too soon.

Seeing the look of panic on her brother’s face a sorry Margaret backtracked. “It’s okay Adam we won’t say anything, it’s got to be your decision alone, I just hope you don’t leave it too long, if Billy does tittle tattle they might hear silly gossip from one of the busy bodies in the village.”

Millicent had to have her say too. “We’ll be there beside you sis when you’re ready to tell mammy and daddy.” It seemed Millicent had no problem adjusting to having another big sister to look up to.

Adam felt overwhelmed at the support of these two beautiful sisters, why did he feel so depressed all the time when he had these gems in his life? It was a double edged sword he reminded himself, although his heart was filled with love for these two angels they were a constant reminder of what he could never be and yet yearned for.

“I love you both so much, without you I don’t think I’d have the strength to keep going, whatever happens please always remember that.”

As another bout of hugging ensued Margaret was reading into those words carefully and she knew Adam was planning something silly, but that problem could wait for later.

“Come on girls, she cajoled, time is moving on lets go home.”

“But how do I get past the olds’?” Protested Adam

“Please don’t turn into a ditsy blonde, Margaret teased, we simply sneak in by the back gate and hide you in the garage while we go and smuggle some boy clothes out of your room.”

A red faced Adam felt a little silly. Margaret always was good at solving other people’s problems, just a very young version of Nana Blunt he mused.

Millicent pulled Adam by the hand.” C’mon Ad…” I can’t call my new big sister by a boy’s name, that just would not do she decided emphatically.

Then a flash of inspiration overcame the precocious little girl, oh how clever she was, well at least she thought so.

“Come on Madeline let’s get you home.”

Adam was taken aback at being referred to by a feminine name by his little sis.

Margaret sniggered at her sister “you can’t just name her like a stray dog you just found Millicent,” she scolded.

“I’m not,” came the indignant retort, “I’m using Adams name and mixing the letters up and stretching it out.

Who can fathom the logic of a precocious eight year old?

“I think Adam should have a say in what name she wants to be called.” Margaret saw her little sister’s point “Adam” and “she” just didn’t quite sound right in the same sentence.

“Have you any thoughts on this Adam there must be some name you like?”

Adam was blushing profusely as there was a name he always fantasised being called, had he been born a girl.

“Amanda,” he mumbled in embarrassment.

The girls didn’t quite hear him as it sounded rather muffled.

“What was it you said?” Enquired an impatient Millicent

“Amanda he spat out.” His face had visibly coloured and you could almost swear, heat was emanating from his rosy cheeks.

“Amanda, Amanda, Amanda.” Millicent sang in a sing song voice as she pulled her newly christened new big sister along whilst skipping gaily along the path.

Talk about a baptism of fire, there could be no resistance against this little force of nature, Adam/Amanda just passively followed as Millicent held his hand tightly and pulled him along behind her.

Margaret trailed closely behind with a look of great amusement upon her face.

As they approached the gate exiting the woods Adam felt what little courage he had mustered begin to fade, only to be replaced by very busy butterflies fluttering angrily in his stomach.

Millicent felt his reluctance as he pulled against her relentless forward momentum.

“Amanda what’s the matter?” enquired, an inquisitive Millicent.

“I don’t think I can do this,” Adam answered nervously.

“It will be alright Amanda you have us to help you, if we do bump into anyone we’ll do all the talking and you just keep quiet.

Margaret ambled up to her siblings after lagging behind. She had stumbled upon a dense patch of snowdrops and couldn’t resist picking a not inconsiderable amount, resulting in the oversized bunch of posies clutched in her hand.

Seeing the reticent look on Adam’s face Margaret’s bossy mode came into play.

“We must hurry Adam the quicker we are, the less chance of anyone spotting you.”

The thought of walking straight through the village in broad daylight, clad from head to toe in girls’ clothing had turned his feet to lead. Margaret’s duffle coat was a bright pink beacon clashing against the thin layer of snow which covered the landscape.

“Pull your hood up and tug the scarf over your chin, there that’s better, you’ve nothing to fear, we look like three girls on an early morning errand.”

“We’ll put our hoods up to, so you won’t stand out.” Millicent chimed in’ feeling the need to add her tuppence worth.”

Feeling more confident with his face partially hidden under the hood Adam bravely quick stepped through the gate before his courage failed him again. It was poor Millicent’s turn to be tugged along as Adam squeezed her small hand tightly, finding it a source of comfort.

Margaret followed behind the pair and dutifully closed the gate, what with the rusty hinge creaking and Millicent’s squeaky protestations the startled Robin Redbreasts quickly fled their abode from the nearby tree.

Someone really should oil that gate Margaret mused as she rushed to catch up with her “sisters.”

Ad/Amanda was walking at a brisk pace dragging his sister along seemingly oblivious to her yelps of annoyance.

“Slow down girls, wait for me,” complained a huffing and puffing girl as her breath emitted rapid puffs of steam in the frigid air.

Did I mention Margaret was not the most athletic of girls?

“I’m trying to!” Millicent wailed, “Amanda, slow down!”

The ear piercing pleas’ finally penetrated Ad/Amanda’s grey matter and slowed his determined pace.

“Sorry girls, but you did say we had to hurry Margaret.”

“Yes I did, but I didn’t mean we had to do the four minute mile!” The breathless girl humped.

An apologetic Ad/Amanda (?) released his/her (?) grip on little sis’ hand.

“Thank you for the return of my arm dear sister.” Millicent massaged her elbow in an effort to ease the cramp.

“Let’s just walk at a more casual pace so as not to attract any undue attention,” asserted Margaret.

The trio set off for home arm in arm with a flighty looking Adam sandwiched in the middle. His eyes flitted from side to side, imagining every dark recess harboured an assailant who would instantly spring out and ambush him.

Adam was unduly worried as a sleepy little village such as Brea hardly stirred this early on a Sunday morn’. Only a few early birds were bustling around as they purchased newspapers and sundries for their breakfast.

To the casual observer there was nothing untoward with this scene of three girlfriends out for an early walk.

After what seemed like an eternity they arrived at the rear gate of their quaint little cottage. There was sufficient coverage to sneak under the shade of apple trees to reach their goal discreetly.

Margaret gently eased the side door to the garage open and peered in, “coast is clear,” she beckoned the others inside.

“Stay here Adam. I’ll distract the olds’ while Millicent gets your boy clothes. Adam was shivering as his adrenalin level had decreased, he watched the girls saunter innocently into the house.

Fortunately only Nana Blunt was bustling around the kitchen. Margaret nudged her sister to go and fetch the clothes, nodding she skipped merrily to Adam’ room.

Hello Nana can I help you with anything?” Margaret tried to sound chirpier than she really felt.

“Hello young lady where did you slip off too?” Nana Blunt observed the child’s disposition had improved considerably since their last encounter, “I hope your sister hasn’t been leading you astray, “remarked a brusque Nana.

“Oh no, of course not Nana, Millicent and I decided to take in the morning air.” A nervous Margaret tried to deflect the inquisition. “Look Nana I picked these lovely snowdrops just for you.” Margaret gave her Nana the sweetest smile with her arm outstretched bearing the large posy of blooms.

“Hmm…Nana Blunt eyed the child suspiciously. “That was very considerate child, thank you I’ll put them in my blue china vase.” Nana accepted the flowers and went in search of her favourite vase

Millicent poked her head around the door frame a small impish grin firmly etched across her pretty face. She was delighted at all this sneaking around it was such a fun game.

“I’ve got boy clothes,” she tittered, “is it safe?”

“Yes, but hurry,” Margaret hissed, “I’m sure Nana is suspicious.”

Scurrying along the kitchen floor on her tippy toes Millicent was desperately trying to stifle her giggles.

Margaret stayed in the kitchen keeping a wary eye on the door leading to the garage. In the meantime she started rattling pans deciding a bowl of sweet hot porridge and a steaming mug of cocoa would be the medicine Adam needed to thaw him out.

Several minutes later a sheepish looking Adam scuffled into the kitchen followed by Mildred sporting a mischievous grin on her face.

Margaret was always wary when she saw that look on little sis’ it usually meant trouble and strife would quickly follow. She had been so busy studying Millicent it was only after Adam faced her that panic swiftly arose within.

“What’s wrong?” Margaret was unsettling him.

“You’ve still got make up on Adam and your hair needs straightening, Millicent you lit…!”

Her voice was drowned out by Millicent’s hysterical giggles meanwhile Adam took flight and crashed headlong to his room.

Margaret stood with hands on hips staring daggers at her sometimes infuriating little sister.

A scolding would fall on deaf ears when the little madam was in this mood so she sharply turned on her heels and marched to the stove and tended Adam’s porridge.

Adam trudged into the kitchen and slumped into a chair, his temporary cheer had given way to a cloud of depression.

A concerned Margaret rushed over with the bowl of porridge and steaming cocoa.

“Eat some breakfast Adam, it will make you feel better,” she urged.

“I don’t think I could hold anything down my stomach’s in knots.” Poor Adam had a deathly pallor Margaret hoped he hadn’t caught pneumonia.

A now dejected Millicent was full of regret for playing such a mean prank on her brother.

“I’m so sorry Am…Adam I didn’t mean to upset you.” His little sis’ coyly apologised.

With great effort he managed to summon a smile to reassure Millicent, it was the whole sordid events of the day that weighed heavily upon him and that was of his own making.

“You haven’t upset me Millicent I don’t think I would have made it through today without my two darling sisters.

Millicent’s face broke into a radiant smile that warmed Adam’s heart. Of course this was the perfect cue for another bout of hugs.

When they finished reassuring one another, they sat in comforting silence sipping their hot cocoa.

They all felt the need for quiet reflection to digest the morning’s drama as they savoured the much need steaming mugs of cocoa.

As they neared the bottom of their mugs Margaret recalled her sister had plans for a day out with her friend to the nearby city of Aberdeen.

“Millicent, don’t you think you should get ready for your outing, we all know how long it takes, what with all your posing and primping.

“I do not pose and primp!” an indignant Millicent sputtered in her cocoa mug. “Anyway I’m staying home to look after my big bro’.”

“No, I won’t allow it,” Adam chided. “You and your little friend Susan have been looking forward to seeing “The Little Mermaid” for weeks now.”

“I know but you really need me just now.” Millicent would be disappointed to miss the mermaid film but she felt Adam needed her more at his time of need.

“You have to go you can’t let your little friend Susan down think how upset she will be, besides the olds’ will start asking awkward questions if you don’t.” Margaret was on that high horse again.

“Okay then” she relented, Millicent did love Ariel as you could tell by her room, she was everywhere, on her duvet, the curtains, her nightie, well she was everywhere.

“Only, if you look after Adam though.” Millicent had to get her tuppence worth.

Don’t worry about Adam I’ve got plans for us.” Margaret replied mysteriously.

“What tell me what,” the precocious little girl had returned, her curiosity aroused .Millicent hated being left out of the loop.

“Never mind it will be a surprise for you when you arrive home tonight.” Margaret loved being in control, after all someone had to keep this family organised.

“Excuse me girls I am here you know and I’m quite capable of looking after myself.” Adam felt he was being left out of the decision making once again.

“I know Adam, Margaret soothed, but you’re not going to be on your own today to dwell on things that are out of our control.

Adam had to concede the point his sister was making, worrying used up a lot of energy and achieved nothing.

All the children were agreed on the days’ course of action, well apart from Adam of course who did not know what Margaret had in store.

As Millicent skipped gaily to her room, (to primp and pose?) Margaret took the opportunity to confront Adam about his hesitancy earlier when little sis was extracting a promise from him.

“Adam I hope you’re not planning anything silly are you?” Margaret made sure to use her sternest voice to make it sounded as authoritative as Nana Blunts. And it worked, well almost. It was a pretty impressive effort for a slip of an eleven year old girl.

It had the desired effect on Adam as he swallowed nervously, how could he avoid this conversation, he didn’t want to lie to Margaret well it would not be possible she had this uncanny knack of extracting the truth from him.

“Whatever do you mean Margaret?” Adam tried to feign surprise.

“I think you know what I mean Adam, that little speech what was it? Oh yes I remember, it went like >whatever happens I’ll always love you remember that, < and when Millicent wanted a promise that you’d never leave you hesitated, in fact you never did promise.”

“I was just upset Margaret, really there’s nothing to read into.”

“Then promise me now Adam, swear on all you hold dear that you won’t leave, that you won’t run away.”

“Margaret I can’t promise that, think of the humiliation I’ll have to endure, I’m going to be hounded out of the village anyway by all the small minded bigots.”

Adam was floundering he couldn’t lie to his sister but it was a promise he couldn’t make either, how could he stay and be exposed to constant ridicule on a daily basis? He wouldn’t have the strength, leaving would be the last resort but at least it was the one choice left in his life.

“You know you will have the strength of your family, we are your anchor Adam, when your resolve is low feed off your family’s strength, where else can a thirteen year old boy find love as strong as his family’s.

Tears were leaking out of Adams eyes, where did his eleven year old sister gain such wisdom, he knew he had to endure, his family were his roots and to rip himself away from that source of nourishment would surely cause him to wither and die.

Adam knew he could endure. “I promise Margaret on all that I hold dear to me, I promise to stay,” and with that promise Adam was bound to his family and would stand by it through hell or high water.

A tall figure stood in the shadows of the hallway witnessing this exchange between the siblings yes they would endure after all were they not flesh of her flesh, loin of her loins.

Mama Blunt swelled with pride as she walked silently to her room to tend her ailing husband, soon he would be free of his pain.

“What would I give to live where you are? What would I pay to be here beside you?”

Millicent’s sweet singing flowed faintly down the hallway and seemed to permeate the very air that we breathe, an ambience of peace seemed to settle over the residents of this quaint little cottage.

Yes Millicent had a gift also but few were aware of It least of all the little girl who was dancing gracefully to her favourite song from her mermaid film.

Adam was feeling rather disgruntled as he rummaged around the dingy and dusty attic, the confined space was sparsely lit by a tiny skylight. To his annoyance he kept brushing against cobwebs and other tickly things, ugh.”

“I’m sure they are in the far corner on the left Adam,” Margaret encouraged.

She knew how Adam would be feeling but she feared those creepy crawlies and heights were not her strong point either.

After much bumping and clumping and a not a few mild expletives Adam announced with relief he had found them. His head appeared over the access hole, he looked down to where his sister was craning her neck gazing upwards.

“Oh you found them I knew they were up there somewhere.” She reached up and deftly caught the light cardboard box as it dropped.

“I don’t think that old doll you insist upon every year is in there,” remarked Adam as he descended the ladder with relief. To his disgust he was covered in dust and strands of cobwebs, he’d have to shower and change for the third time that day.

Unbeknown to Adam he was going to get a dressing down sooner than he had anticipated.

As soon as his feet hit the floor he was surprised by a sharp poke in the small of his back. Turning to investigate the source of his discomfort he came face to face with a seething Margaret.

“What did I say?” a bewildered Adam was taken aback at the wrath bestowed upon him.

“Don’t you dare call my most valuable possession an she is very precious and deserves’ respect”. An infuriated Margaret was standing with arms crossed defensively you could almost see the feathers sputtering out of her mouth.

Well maybe not quite but you can picture the scene.

A stunned Adam could not fathom why his normally placid sister was having a hissy fit.

“Please forgive me Margaret I didn’t know how much the angel meant to you.”

Mollified by her brother’s apology and feeling a bit silly by her sudden outburst she regained her composure as quickly as she lost it. She was just very superstitious where her prized possession was concerned.

“Excuse my behaviour Adam, by the way she is not an angel but never the less she is still precious to me. Shall we go fetch the tree from the garage,” she suggested in an effort to break the tension.

Adam required longer in order to, regain his composure as his sister sauntered off leaving him mystified by her tantrum.

“What’s happening?” asked a curious Millicent as she stuck her head out the door, all her blond tresses were obscured by a towel turban.

“I’m not too sure all I did was to mention Margaret’s do…, Ang..., thingummy jig and she went ape.”

“Not the thingummy jig that must be worshipped?” Millicent had a twinkle in her eye as she feigned shock.

“Worshipped?” as if Adam couldn’t get any more confused this was taxing his brain too much.

“You’ll find out soon enough giggled Millicent, just treat the thingummy jig with rev.., ehm, rever..., oh just be kind to the thingummy jig,” and with that Millicent retreated to her room, her giggles cut off by the closing door.

Adam plodded along the hallway in quiet contemplation, as he passed his parents room he could hear those funny noises leaking through the door. He never did understand why mammy and daddy enjoyed tickling matches every Sunday morning.

Life is such a mystery he mused.

Margaret was doggedly pulling the oversized Christmas tree through the door connecting the garage to the kitchen, grunting in effort. It was a tight squeeze as the doorframe refused to give way. Daddy always went over board when he bought a fresh one from the forestry commission every year.

“Margaret you should’ve waited for my help”, admonished Adam, his sister could be so impatient sometimes.

“It’s alright Adam it’s not as heavy as it loo... aah!” The poor girl lost the battle with the door frame and promptly fell to the ground, landing on her plump little ass.

“Adam made a supreme effort not to giggle at his sister’s plight. “Let’s pull the tree through together.”

The site of the two children playing tug o’ war against the door frame was a sight to behold or would be had there been any onlookers.

“Where is Millicent when we need her,” moaned a breathless Adam.

“You know how she dislikes handling the tree, always messing up her hands and all that glittery stuff sticking to her dresses.”

Adam recalled how prissy Millicent could be when required to do messy chores and decided it was best that she was absent from this one.

After much huffing and puffing and a bit of clever manoeuvring the tree was finally standing proud, inserted in the heavy log which anchored it to the floor.

The children rested a moment in self, congratulation as they admired their handiwork.

Millicent disturbed their revelry as she skipped nimbly into the lounge, spying the erect tree she felt duty bound to put in her little contribution. The little girl did so love to dance and this was too good an excuse to pass by.

Graceful as ever, she put her dance dance lessons to good use and danced around the tree whilst sweetly singing her mermaid song.
 
 

What would I give?

To live where you are

What would I pay?

To stay here beside you

What would I do to see you?

Smiling at me?

Where would we walk?

Where would we run?

If we could stay all day in the sun.

Just you and me

And I could be

Part of your world.

 
 
“ Bravo, bravo, bravo!” Adam and Margaret applauded in delight as a beaming Millicent daintily curtsied to her adoring audience.

“Those ballet lessons are really paying off little sis’, why don’t you change into your tutu and spend Christmas on top of the tree?” teased Adam.

“I think Margie would have something to say about that, we wouldn’t want to upset any superstitions.” A giggling Millicent was very proud of her clever reply.

“Isn’t it time you made your way over to your little friend Susan?” a slighted Margaret retorted.

Millicent looked the picture of innocence as she stood there in her lovely pink candy striped dress adorned with a shiny silk white ribbon which hugged the slim waist and met at the back to form a cute bow. The short puffed sleeves left her frail arms exposed where her cascade of long golden tresses failed to obscure her olive skin. Her thick lush hair was slightly tamed by two pink ribbons forcing it into delightful pig tails which slightly protruded over her delicate ears. The pretty white lace tights and white ballet pumps complimented her outfit perfectly.

The stylish little girl had chosen to wear her favourite butterfly earrings and pendant which were a pretty shade of lavender and of course the icing on this sweet confection was a subtle pink gloss to match her finger nails and a hint of rouge on her natural rosy cheeks .A delicious scent of strawberries permeated the air around her.

First impressions upon encountering this vision of sweetness and light would lead the uninitiated to believe that butter would not melt in her mouth.

But we know better, don’t we?

This beautiful little apparition filled Adam’s heart with joy and the bitter sweetness of a dull incessant yearning.

“You look beautiful Millicent, sugar and spice and all things nice.” Adam felt compelled to compliment this epitome of girlishness. “You just be careful when there are any boys within a hundred yards of you”

Millicent coyly blushed, “charmed, so I am kind sir,” with a giggle she stood on her tippy toes and pecked her brother on the cheek.

“You do look very pretty,” conceded Margaret. This vision of loveliness could melt the coldest of hearts she thought.

She was rewarded with a tight heartfelt hug from her little sister.

Going back into mother hen mode Margaret checked the time on the mantel clock.

“Where’s your coat and purse Millicent, you really should get a move on?”

“Don’t panic miss fusspot I’ve plenty of ti...”

Toot, toot. A car horn could be heard from outside.

“What did I tell you,” chided big sis, “it’s rude to keep your little friend Susan and her mammy waiting.”

Panic ensued as a flustered Margaret helped her unfazed sister don her pink dress coat.

Eventually Millicent was ready and tweeted “Ta ti Bye.” She skipped out the door gaily singing her little heart out. “Les Poissons. Les Poissons. How I love les...”

As her sweet voice faded into the distance Margaret shrugged off her annoyance and turned to other matters requiring her immediate attention.

“Shall we see what we have to play with in the way of tree decorations Adam?”

The siblings pulled the typical items out of the box you would expect such as baubles, glitter string and the obligatory tree lights, they spent a pleasant hour gilding the branches and indulging in idle chit chat .Needless to say, Margaret had final say as Adam followed her direction.

“Doesn’t it look wonderful?” Margaret gushed as they stood back to admire their artistry.

“It really makes it feel more Christmas like.” Adam felt a sense of pride in their creativity.

“Only thing missing is chocolate Santa’s and angels but let us wait until Christmas Eve in case they melt.” That was Margaret being practical as ever.

“Should we switch on the lights for the full effect?” suggested Adam.

“Oh no,” replied an excited Margaret. “We haven’t done the most important thing yet.

Grabbing a puzzled Adam’s hand she made a bee line in the direction of her room.

Before the poor boy was barely aware of where he was, he found himself standing in the middle of his sister room. Not that he minded, as after all it was his favourite room in the house. It was spotlessly clean and very feminine, the pale pink pastel walls and all the fussy lace which was in abundance scattered around on everything from the bed linen to the flowery patterned curtains, all of it assaulted his senses but in a nice way, he felt a sense of peace and calm.

What Adam secretly loved most of all was his sisters impressive collection of china dolls attired in the most beautiful dresses you could ever imagine. He could gaze upon them forever as they seemed to touch something deep in his soul.

Jolted out of his admiration and a little bit of envy dare I say, Margaret was talking in the distance.

“Adam? Hello earth to Adam.” Being so insightful she had a good idea what her brother was thinking as he always had a faraway look when he entered her bedroom.

“Sorry sis’ I just spaced out for a sec there.” A red faced and apologetic Adam tried to cover his embarrassment.

Margaret gave him a reassuring smile. “I want you to meet someone Adam, you’ve met her before many times over the years but you never really saw her.”

After she was sure she had her bemused brother’s undivided attention Margaret stepped aside revealing her most prized possession standing regally within a glass orb surveying her kingdom, (which was, obviously Margaret’s bedroom.)

A disappointed Adam only saw the Christmas ange..., thingummy jig gazing out of a glass display.

“Ehm..., she looks very pretty Margaret,” desperate not to offend her with any foot in mouth disease.

“Is she not the most beautiful creature you ever saw?” Margaret was almost swooning.

How could she treasure this small tree decoration over all the exquisite china dolls which lent the room their charm, he puzzled.

Margaret could see his confusion but she didn’t mind, he did not understand yet. No boy ever could but she knew despite appearances that Adam was not a boy. With her special insight she could almost touch the very essence of this beautiful being and there was too much kindness and compassion radiating from this soul to leave any room for an ounce of masculinity.

This sweet brother of hers needed to be led gently by the hand into the light so he could be all that defined him with no barriers and no shame.

Easing Adam’s discomfort Margaret beckoned him over to the vanity table where the object of confusion had pride of place.

Margaret reverently lifted the glass orb which housed her prized possession and laid it aside, “Pick her up Adam,” his sister almost whispered.

Taken aback by the request Adam gave an enquiring look towards his sister, it had suddenly occurred to him with hindsight that he could never recall anyone but Margaret handling this object she held so dear.

“Go ahead, pick her up.” She urged.

With hands slightly trembling Adam reached toward the object that his sister deemed so precious and felt as if he was about to pick up a priceless Ming vase.

He hesitated and looked to his sister for encouragement.

Margaret nodded her assent with a warms smile on her face.

Tentatively Adam gently grasped the object his sister held so dear and slowly lifted it off the pedestal. Steadying his hand he raised the object up for closer inspection.

Had he noticed his sister’s intense gaze as she looked for his reaction, he may well have felt a hole bore straight through him.

Adam was incapable of looking anywhere else as this seemingly ordinary object held him prisoner it demanded the holders full attention. Why had he never noticed before, it was a family ritual every Christmas since Margaret had been three years old. As long as he could remember daddy would hoist a proud Margaret in his strong arms, upwards to place this thing of beauty on top of the tree.

Yes, Adam was a convert as he gasped in awe at the beauty of this seemingly insignificant bundle of cloth with the clay head adjoined at the top.

The soft white lace dress felt like gossamer threads to the touch, almost akin to stroking candy floss. As his fingers savoured the delicious sensation of touch his eyes travelled upon the porcelain face, it seemed as if those emerald green eyes were lovingly gazing upon his wretched self and instilling warmth and infinite love to the very core of his being. The long pure golden threads that comprised her hair sparkled against the sunlight which penetrated the window and seemed magnetically attracted to the objects very existence.

Margaret saw the look of near ecstasy on her brother’s face as he was hypnotised by her precious fairy. Yes Adam appreciated an object of beauty as only a girl can.

Tears gently fell down Adams cheeks as he experienced a feeling of contentment he had never before felt in his thirteen years of life.

“She is beyond beautiful Margaret, thank you for allowing me to hold her I don’t think I could ever receive a better Christmas present than the feelings bestowed upon me at this moment.

“You understand a thing of beauty Adam, it’s always been within you, please don’t keep it hidden, see the joy you experience when you are your true self.”

Adam could barely control his emotions as he reluctantly placed the icon back on her pedestal, he did not want to stain that crisp white dress with his tears.

All to no avail as a single teardrop fell upon that candy floss dress.

Adam didn’t notice. Margaret didn’t either.

“Tell me, what’s her name?” He was still entranced by the vision before him but his curiosity required an answer to the profound experience he had encountered.

“Her name is Titania,” replied Margaret, “she is a fairy but she is just not any fairy she is very special.”

“I thought there was only one type of fairy,” commented a confused Adam.

“There is but this is the most important fairy of all,” Margaret was teasing her brother by drawing out the conversation.

“A look of utter confusion was apparent on his face Margaret felt a bit sorry and decided to put him out of his misery.

“Titania is the queen of the fairies and therefore the most powerful of all.”

Margaret had her brother’s utmost attention so she took him by the hand and led him to the bed. She bid him to sit whilst she regaled her story.

“Queen Titania was married to the fairy king, “she explained “they argued an awful lot and Titania could not bear her husband’s child because their magic worked against each other. Titania decided that the king should tickle a human lady so they could have a child. She really thought this would bring them closer together.

Anyway she chose her most loyal human servant to be tickled by her husband and this tickling made a little baby boy.”

Adam remembered hearing daddy tickling mammy this very morning and wondered if he would have a baby brother tomorrow morning, although he’d much rather have a new baby sister.

Margaret saw that faraway look in her brother’s eyes and thought she was losing her audience.

“Adam do, pay attention!”

“I’m sorry sis I am listening, honest.”

Satisfied she continued.

“Anyway this was the sweetest boy you ever did see and Titania felt an instant bond to this child. It did not stop all the arguments she had with the fairy king as she had hoped.

Actually they got even worse, because the king became jealous about being ignored while Titania lavished all her love on her beautiful baby boy. Nothing changed as the years went by and the little boy grew up.

Margaret paused to make sure she had her brother’s full attention she needn’t have worried as Adam was totally enchanted.

“When the boy reached the age of thirteen the king decided it was time to teach him all there was to know about war craft. You have to understand that Titania hated anything to do with the menfolk’s silly wars but her husband seemed to love war more than he did her.” Titania decided desperate measures were needed to protect her gentle boy.”

Adam could barely contain himself. “What did she do?” he asked. Yes he was hooked for this little boy could be him he recognised.

“Well remember this boy was half human, half fairy?” Margaret enquired.

“Yes, he had a human mother and a fairy father!” exclaimed an excited Adam.

“In fairy land he was known as a changeling, he was neither human nor fairy but somewhere in between. It set him apart from all the people in the castle all of whom were either full humans or full fairies. Because he was different they all viewed him with suspicion. As polite and loving that he truly was no one wanted to be his friend, this made him very sad and lonely.

Adam felt so much empathy for the boy as he always felt he was on the outside looking in at an alien race.

Titania was much too clever to allow the king steal away her beloved son, let him play his silly war games but no child of hers would be a pawn in them.

She had seen too many mothers grieving for their dead sons fighting pointless wars, she was determined she would not be left bereft.

“What did she do?” Adam was getting impatient.

Margaret was glad, she had her big brother hooked and baited.

“One day the fairy king swept into her boudoir unannounced demanding that his son was readied for battle lessons.

Acquiescing to her husband’s demand Titania introduced the king’s son already waiting in readiness.”

“She gave in so willingly?” gasped Adam desperate to hear the outcome.

“Be patient Adam,” she scolded, although she was delighted that she commanded the room a bit like Titania would, or so she fantasized.

“May I introduce your son,” Titania announced with a dramatic flourish of arms.

Margaret paused for effect as her brother soaked in every word like a sponge.

“And then what happened?” demanded Adam

“Well the king’s son appeared from behind the dressing blinds in all her beautiful glory.”

“Aren’t you getting this tale a bit mixed up Margaret?” a confused Adam asked.

“Don’t interrupt, Adam I’m telling the story, how many times do I have to tell you be patient?”

“As I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted,” she cast an accusatory eye in Adam’s direction.

“The king’s son appeared from behind the dressing blinds in all her beautiful glory.”

“What is the meaning of this!?” The king demanded.

Before, the king stood a beautiful young girl on the threshold of woman hood. Her blossoming cleavage was hinted at by the low cut bodice which effectively corseted her torso giving her developing breasts a flattering pertness. She lifted her long flowing skirts in a bid to free her cosseted ankles so as to avoid tripping on her long petticoats, only to reveal her ankles and dainty feet which were enclosed in slim toe pointed booties with a slight heel.

“Why my dear husband this is your son readied for battle.” Titania was savouring the look of bafflement on his face.

“Enough of this nonsense, this is but a wench, now where is my son?” boomed an impatient king.

“Take a closer look dearest,” Titania taunted, “do you not recognise your child when you see him.”

The king made a closer inspection of this burgeoning young beauty and saw the likeness of his son in her delicate features.

“What mischief is this?” demanded the king.

“Your son is no longer a changeling,” taunted queen Titania, “for I have turned him into a fully, fledged fairy with his most willing consent.

The king knew his wife had the power to do such a deed as long as she had the full consent of the recipient.

Knowing the truth in her words the king proclaimed. “This girly wench is no child of mine and she will leave this castle forthwith,” and with that decree the king turned on his heels and stomped out of his wife’s boudoir never looking back.

It was of no consequence to his new daughter as she detested the tyrant as much as her mother did.

Adam sat spellbound as he listened to his sister’s wonderful tale of Titania, when he realised she had reached the end of the story he looked towards the vanity table where the fairy stood stately on her pedestal with a renewed sense of respect and awe.

“Whatever became of Titania and her new daughter?” Adam just had to know.

“That is a story for another day,” replied Margaret. “Suffice to say they left the castle and fought many more meaningful battles than the king ever did.”

Adam sat in silence with a dreamy look on his face as his eyes focused on his sister’s fairy standing innocuously on the vanity table. If only, he thought.

Margaret studied her brother in silence and sensed his painful yearning when he exhaled a deep sigh.

“Adam I want you to do something for me.”

“Anything sis’, you know you just have to ask.” Adam would do anything to help both his sisters.

“I want you to put Titania on top of the Christmas tree this year,”

Adam was dumbfounded his sister always took pride in the annual ritual of placing QueenTitania on top of the tree.

“Are you sure Margaret?” “I know how important Titania is to you now.

“I’m sure Adam it would mean so much to me if you would do the honour.” His sister had such sincerity in her voice.

“It is me who would be honoured Margaret I’d love to do it.” Adam felt his eyes well up but he managed to curb his tears.

“It is decided then, just you and me in our own private ritual.” Margaret clasped her brother’s hand and led him to the vanity table.

Adam looked down at Titania with a newfound respect, swallowing with emotion he looked to his sister for encouragement.

Margaret nodded her head assertively giving her brother reassurance.

With no further ado he gently cradled Titania in his small hand and held her up at eye level gazing reverently at the fairy as he recalled his sister’s story.

Satisfied that her brother was deadly serious about their agreement she led him to the lounge where the tree awaited.

Leaving Adam by the tree she went to fetch a breakfast stool to enable her brother to reach the apex. When she returned and prepared for the ritual she put on her serious face again.

“Adam you may think fairies have it easy but they make an awful sacrifice for their magic and immortality.”

“Whatever could be so bad about the life of a fairy?” asked a curious Adam.

“Every year I say a silent prayer in my head just before I rest Titania on top, it’s the fairy prayer.”

“Please recite it aloud Margaret,” her brother pleaded.

Of course his sister was only too happy to oblige.


A Fairy's Prayer
 
 
I thank thee Lord for all you've done
In having made me so.
But please dear Lord, please set me free.
And let my spirit go.

Please take my wings and let me be
One of your cherished kind.
A human being who lives and dies
And knows and lives their mind.

I cannot love or now be loved
Or cherish love in art.
So take these wings, I yield them for
A fragile human heart.

You know I've cried a million tears
And how it pains my soul.
To only love, and yes, be loved
Has always been my goal.

So, if you Lord would be so kind,
I've done all that you ask.
Please let me die to know that love
In which your favoured bask.

And give my wings to human kind
Who may not know their cost.
So they may come to you as I
In knowledge of what's lost.


“Place, Titania upon the tree now Adam,” Margaret gently urged.

Adam was so touched by the poignant poem he almost forgot his appointed duty he leaned over and carefully placed the Queen of the Fairies in her rightful place.

“That is a beautiful poem Margaret I wish you had recited it aloud every year before you placed Titania on the tree.”

“It’s also so melancholy Adam that was why I recited it in silence I didn’t want to make anyone sad at this joyous time of year, but I know that wherever the Queen is she will hear my prayer and know I believe in fairies.”

“I believe in fairies too Margaret thanks to you, it’s the best Christmas present I ever received.”

“I’m so glad you believe Adam because no matter how bad life sometimes seems, the fairies are watching over those who do, as it’s from the believers they get their life force which keeps them alive.”

“Let’s wait for Millicent to come home and let her switch on the lights,” suggested Adam.

“Good idea, bro’ that’s one chore she won’t object to,” giggled Margaret.

The remainder of the day passed by uneventfully as the family went about their usual business, although it was unusually quiet with Millicent’s absence.

All too soon the tranquil silence which had settled over the Andersen house hold was rudely disturbed by the slamming of the front door as Millicent announced her arrival.

Adam and Margaret could hear her skipping feet tapping on the floor boards as she approached the room and suddenly the door flew open much to Margaret’s annoyance.

“Hi kids,” what’s up?” trilled Millicent.

“Please knock before entering my room, how many times have I told you?”

“Oh we are tetchy this evening aren’t we big sis?”

Ever the peacemaker when his sisters’ bickered Adam intervened” Just wrapping the last of the olds’ presents little sis.”

“Then if you behave we have a surprise for you.” Margaret decided her brother’s trying day should not end with a bad atmosphere between herself and Millicent.

“Ooh, what is it, what is?” the bouncing ball of energy couldn’t contain her excitement as she jumped up and down clapping her hand’s.

“You are honoured little one, as the official Christmas tree lights switcher onner.” Adam always felt delight at this little girl’s pent up enthusiasm.

“But if you’re worried about breaking a nail flicking the switch I suppose I could do it,” Margaret teased.

“Ha! ha! “Very funny Margie but I’m sure my super strength kryptonite nail polish will protect them.” Millicent felt very clever with her witty reply.

Nana Blunt and their parents were relaxing in the lounge waiting patiently for the children to grace them with their presence.

“It would seem Margaret’s broken with tradition this year.” Lanky was a bit surprised if not a little disappointed as he relished being part of her annual ritual in lifting her up to place her beloved fairy atop the Christmas tree.

“The children are growing up and traditions were made to be broken.” Nana Blunt had a distant look in her eyes as if she was somewhere else in spirit. “We must embrace change and grow from it, no matter how painful it may be at times.”

Joyce observed her mother with some concern at her maudlin state. “Is papa feeling any better today mother?”

“His emphysema causes great discomfort and I fear his body is now immune to painkillers as he suffers great pain with little respite.”

“Maybe we should reconsider the hospice mother,” Lanky knew this was a sensitive subject but he was sure professionals could alleviate papa Blunts pain with their cocktails of assorted pain killers.

“We have never been apart in seventy years of marriage and the pain of separation would grieve him more than his physical pain ever could.”

The children announced their presence in the room as Millicent skipped across the laminate flooring towards the tree, bearing an elfin like smile, eagerly anticipating her role as light switch flicker.

All the family gathered around the tree as Millicent stood proudly by the switch awaiting her cue to perform for her audience. Adam and Margaret held hands as a secret smile was exchanged between them they were both reciting a fairy’s prayer silently.

When Millicent was sure she commanded the room’s attention she played her role.

“I now decree that it is officially Christmas and for as long as the fairy lights are glowing on this tree it will be a time of magic and wonder.” With a flourish of arms Millicent flicked the switch with all manicured fingernails intact and declared. “Let it be so,” as if any more drama were needed.

Loud applause and much cheering ensued as Titania observed her kingdom from a lofty height.

The Andersen family settled down for the evening enjoying the warmth of one another’s company and entertaining themselves in the simple pleasure of playing their favourite board games.

Nana Blunt looked on as her family displayed so much affection for one another the almost complete scarf she had been crocheting for the grand children lay almost forgotten on her lap. It was the third and final one, the other two pink ones already in their wrappings strangely this last scarf was also a shade of pink.

She savoured this precious if rare time, knowing the abundant love they had for one another was their strength which would serve them well in painful times to come.

The evening waned and the children were getting visibly tired so their mother announced it was time for bed.

“Mammy, just one more game of scrabble,” Millicent was proud of all the big words she was forming on the board.

“No dear there will be ample time to play over the festive season but for now it is bedtime.”

With no more protest and much cuddling and kissing the children bid their parent’s goodnight.

Poor Millicent was too fatigued to skip along her merry way and so she scuffled her feet along the laminate floor towards her bed for a good night’s sleep, in order to recharge her batteries, even human dynamos required rest sometimes.

Margaret was slipping into bed after completing her nightly grooming when she heard a soft knock on her door.

Nana Blunts head peered round the door enquiringly. “Are ye still awake, lassie?”

A surprised Margaret felt a tinge of concern it was unusual for Nana to visit her at this late hour in her room.

“Come in Nana, is grandpa alright?”

“Do not worry about grandpa, he will be at peace very soon and rest assured the both of us will be very happy and content.”

Here was Nana being obtuse again, thought the confused girl but it did not make her any less concerned. “Nana whatever is wrong you seem so sad and yet I have never seen you look so radiant it’s as if there is an aura around you?”

“Fear not child I have lived a long and fruitful life and I count my blessings every day, I am very old now and have long lived past my three score and ten.”

“Nana you are still in good health, I’m sure you shall grace this house for many years to come.” Margaret felt teary as she seemed to be convincing herself more so, than she was Nana. She could not help but feel Nana was saying goodbye in some strange way.

“Life has its seasons my dear child as you are in the spring of youth this old body of mine is in the winter of decay. It is the natural cycle of Mother Nature and the old must make way for the new as it should be.

“Nana are you and grandpa going to leave us and go live in that depressing house full off sick people?” The poor girl was beside herself at the very idea that, this woman who had been her role model and mentor would abandon her.

“Hush child, do not upset yourself so. The cycle of the seasons end in decay and begin anew with a regeneration of growth, where new shoots sprout and reach for the warmth of the sun. It is so in life as we grow tired and weary there comes a time when we want to shed our heavy burden and rest awhile.

Being the tender age of eleven and very intelligent Margaret could barely grasp the meaning of Nana’s words although she had learned all about the seasons at school.

“Do you miss the warm sun Nana, it will return in the spring for you too and then you shall feel a lot better.”

Nana blunt smiled affectionately at this dear, sweet loving child. “No my darling child, I crave a light far warmer and brighter than the sun”

Whatever could be warmer than the sun Margaret pondered, according to Miss Snout her teacher, the sun was the warmest thing in the universe.

Observing the sad confusion expressed on the innocent child’s face Nana Blunts heartstrings were yanked up into her chest, in a rare display of affection she felt compelled to pull the child into a comforting embrace and gently cradled her pretty head in the soft warm pillows of her bosom.

“You must be strong in the days to come my darling child as you have a destiny of great importance which will influence many people’s lives. I have prepared you for the path you will lead and I have faith, young as you may be you are mature beyond your years. You must always trust in the gifts bestowed upon you and use them for good”

Margaret was awestruck at the wisdom Nana Blunt dispersed, although she did not always comprehend these wise words somehow she knew they were all squirreled away in the recess of her mind and would serve her well in the years to come.

“When I am absent know that I am always with you, if ever there is doubt, then listen to your heart and you will hear a part of me beating within you.”

The tender young girl gazed up at this constant presence in her short life with a solemn expression, she could not put it in words but she instinctively knew this was a milestone in her life, as if she was being handed a legacy of great responsibility.

“I will do my best to always make you proud of me Nana,” almost in a hushed whisper as the wise little girl felt she had just sworn an oath.

“You will not be alone granddaughter of mine as you will have your sisters to accompany you, for they will walk the same path and you will all share the same destiny. The Trinity will be a powerful force for good.”

Margaret thought Nana Blunt was getting a bit confused as she looked quizzically into those hazel eyes which still seemed to hold the font of all knowledge and decided not to correct her at this sombre moment.

“I know all your decisions in life will be carried out in all good conscience, sleep well my firstborn granddaughter and gather your strength, all will be well with the world.” With a lingering kiss on the child’s forehead as if in blessing Nana Blunt bid her goodnight, she paused at the doorway for one last lingering look at this miraculous child, then left closing the door with an ache in her heart.

Margaret felt she should be terribly worried about something but after her Nan’s comforting caress she felt serene and at peace with herself. The child laid her sweet head on the pillow and drifted into a deep and dreamless sleep.

The old man lay curled on the bed his body was ravaged by chronic arthritis, the gnarled limbs burned with pain and his laboured breathing reminded one of a drowning man bursting to the surface for a life, saving intake of breath.

He felt the pressure of the mattress indenting as it yielded to his wife’s weight whilst she sat on the bed. Looking in her direction with milky white eyes inflicted with cataracts a vestige of hope rose from somewhere within, an emotion he thought he would never experience in this lifetime again. His senses told him that there was a slight difference in her demeanour, she still retained the strength in her posture but it seemed to have wilted somewhat as she slumped slightly forward as if in resignation.

Only two soul mates who have been married for seventy long years could be so sensitive to one another’s subtle gestures.

With as much anticipation as this old man was capable of after being ravaged by old age he salvaged his last reserve of courage and asked his wife the question he so hoped would bear a positive answer.

“Is it time my love?”

“Yes love of my life, Margaret is prepared now and she will guide her sisters to their united destiny, it is time to go home now.” Nina eased herself into bed and held her weak husband in a warm embrace.

The aged hundred year old man breathed his last sigh of relief in this world and his wife died soon after. Maybe it was a broken heart, who can say?

Needless to say there was a very dark cloud hanging over this quaint little cottage no passer, by could see, if they deemed to look they would see a pretty thatched cottage with the white walls and think how lovely it would look as a picture on a Christmas greeting card.

Hidden behind the stone walls of this idyllic scene sat a family in mourning bereft of not one beloved, but a double dose of grief.

The proceeding days did not assuage their sense of loss and emptiness as an unusually sad ambience clogged the air like a heavy unwelcome fog.

Four days before Christmas the onerous task of committing their loved ones to the cold frosted ground did nothing to alleviate their grief.

The siblings laid huddled together atop Margaret’s bed seeking solace in the warmth and closeness of one another. The unnatural silence displayed by these young children whom you’d expect to be full of excited chitter chatter so close to Christmas day was most disconcerting.

Millicent, though not her usual rumbustious self was the first to break the silence.

“Do you think Nana and Grandpa are sitting on a cotton wool cloud and watching over us?”

Her brother and sister couldn’t help but smile at the image of Nana and Grandpa hovering over the cottage on a giant ball of cotton wool.

“I think they are up in heaven giving out good advice to the angels.” Adam didn’t know if he really believed that, but he wanted his little sister to believe in the hope it would ignite that spark in her eyes and bring back that little ball of energy he missed so badly.

“Don’t be silly Adam angels are god’s little helpers because they are the most clever people, after him.”

Margaret remembered the talk she had with Nana Blunt the night she died.

“I think Nana and Grandpa were angels in disguise who came to earth and looked after us.”

Adam and Millicent looked upon their usually practical sister and wondered if her grief had sent her doo ally.

“That can’t be possible Margaret they were mammie’s mamma and dada so that would make mammy an angel to.” Adam actually liked the idea of his grandparents being angels as he believed angels had the power to grant your hearts, desire. If nana was an angel would she not have seen his pain and made him the girl on the outside to match the girl who was hidden inside?

“Nana came to see me the evening before she died and now I think she was saying goodbye, she knew she was going to die.” Margaret’s tears flowed as she thought back to that night, it made her so feel close to nana as if she could reach out and touch her.

Her siblings snuggled closer to Margaret to comfort her and ease her pain.

After a little quiet reflection Margaret gathered herself and continued describing that last night she spent with nana.

“Nana told me she was looking for light, warmer and brighter than the sun and about flowers that grew in the sun and died in the winter. I think she was looking for a different sun that’s even warmer and shinier than the one we know.”

“But there is only one sun, Millicent chipped in, everyone knows that.”

Adam being the eldest had heard adults talk about a light when people “passed over” although he didn’t understand what that meant.

“Maybe Nana and Grandpa passed on and followed a light to heaven.”

Margaret mulled over what Adam suggested and thought it made some kind of sense.

“Nana was really wise and she was looking for a light, I think we should believe the light found her and Grandpa and carried them to heaven.”

The children fell into a thoughtful silence as they pondered on this.

Millicent, with the logic only an eight year old could possess decided it must be so.

“We can’t be here one day and then disappear into thin air the next day so Nana and Grandpa have to be somewhere.”

Margaret saw a little bit of sense in her sister’s words after all, what was the point of gaining wisdom if there was nothing to put it to good use to.

“I think you’re right Millicent, they are up in heaven watching over us and helping the angels.”

“Did Nana say anything else Margaret?” Adam knew how close they were although he never thought Nan loved him any less. It was just that Margaret was a proper girl whereas he was not.

“Not really Adam, she always thought of you as special a boy and said everything would turn out alright.”

Margaret did not want to mention Nana’s, seeming confusion about having two sisters as that might hurt him too much.

The children had found some consolation in the thought that Nana and Grandpa Blunt were in heaven watching over them.

Overwhelmed with the emotional turmoil of the day they decided to retire for the night and hoped sleep would find them easier now they had resolved their confusion about death.

Alas for Margaret it was not to be as she tossed and turned for several hours. Her mind was fixated on that fateful night when her Nana had visited her and some of the strange things she spoke of.

Despairing of ever finding any respite Margaret rose and made her way to the kitchen hoping a mug of hot cocoa would aid her in finding that elusive sleep. Her usual custom would be to seat herself at the breakfast table and reflect on the events of the day but tonight she was drawn towards the lounge.

Such a warm inviting room in happier times now it was just cold and empty as if the soul of the room had departed leaving an empty, meaningless husk. One object in the room caught Margaret’s attention and caused an aching pain of loneliness in her heart.

It seemed to beckon towards her, like an old friend inviting her to sit and talk awhile. She walked over with a little trepidation and hesitantly stroked the arm. Tears of sadness rolled gently down her cheeks at the realization that Nana Blunt would never fill her high back armchair again. She spied Nanas unfinished crochet scarf which only served to increase the water flow.

Oh, how it broke her heart to think Nana would never finish this personal gift, created with so much love to pass on to the recipient. She caressed this seemingly innocuous piece of cloth delicately in her hands savouring the softness of the pink cashmere and the hint of Nana’s perfume.

Margaret recalled what her beloved Nan told her as if the thought sneaked into her mind unbidden like a wispy whisper in her ear. “Listen to your heart and you will feel a part of me beating within.”

A bittersweet smile slowly formed on the sad girl’ lips as she sensed a bond with her Nan which helped fill the void within. Barely aware of her actions Margaret sat herself down and resumed the crocheting where her nana left off.

A twinkle of light caught her attention out of the corner of her eye jolting her out of a trance, making her suddenly aware of her actions. Looking in the direction of the intrusion, Margaret cast her gaze upwards and eyed her precious fairy, Titania, standing regally atop the tree. The golden thread that comprised her generous shock of long blonde hair reflected the moonlight which shone unbidden through the window pane.

Margaret recalled the time when she came into possession of her beloved fairy, it seemed such a long time ago since her third birthday. She still remembered it vividly despite the passing of time when Nana blunt had given her the gift and told the story of the fairy king and queen as she had recently related it to Adam.

“What will become of my family Titania?” “Will we ever get over our loss of two very dear people who were such a big part of our lives?” So many questions but there never seemed to be any answers, she wondered if it got easier when you became a grown up.

“And what will become of Adam my kind and gentle brother, is he destined to live a life of loneliness and never be allowed to express his true self?” It would break her heart if he could not lead a happy and fulfilled life and feared the burden may one day be too great for him to carry.

“Oh Titania, I wish you could bestow the same gift on Adam as you gave to your own son, I just know he has so much love and compassion to give if he could only be free to do so.”

Margaret knew it was wishful thinking, she was growing up and it was getting harder to believe that there was fairy magic in this world. The grief she felt at her sudden loss seemed to dent her faith and all she had left was that intangible thing called hope. Hope that all would turn out for the best.

Gazing up at Titania, her prized possession for most of her childhood she wondered if it really was just a doll of clay with no real substance.

With a heavy heart Margaret raised herself from nana’s chair. She remembered she still had one more gift to wrap for Adam. Although he was happy with simple gifts she had splurged out on a top brand, pair of trainers to replace the ones Billy Le Knut had swiped off his feet on one of those most unpleasant encounters that her brother had to endure.

Placing the gift carefully wrapped with love under the tree she looked up at Titania. “I still believe in fairies but it is getting so hard, goodnight Queen of the fairies, sleep tight.”

The child carefully picked up Nana’s crochet scarf deciding she would complete it before Christmas day and retired to her room. A single teardrop fell from the doll of clay and gently landed on Adam’s gift.

After much tossing and turning, weariness overcame Margaret and she fell into a fitful sleep and had a most strange dream….

I really must get this scarf finished for Christmas or else Adam will feel awfully left out and hate Nana Blunt forever.

“What are you fretting about lassie?”

“Nana, is that you?” “You’re not Nana, who are you?”

“That’s a fine welcome from the little girl who called me.”

“I never called anyone!”

“Ah so you sent a hoax call on the C.S.M did you?” “That’s a very serious offence I’ll have you know.”

“Who are you and what’s the C.S.M anyway?”

“Don’t you know anything lassie?” “Christmas Special Message, there are so many more children in the world with so many demand’s we barely keep up with the snail mail. Santa got so worried he might miss the really special children and decided to go electronic. When a child politely requests for a nice Christmas wish on behalf of someone else, it’s picked up by the wire of the fairy lights on your tree and promptly sent through the ether directly to Lapland. That way we can filter the genuine ones from the spoiled ones and give them top priority.”

“Okay, but who are you?”

“I wish children would stop asking me that, I am Santa’s right hand man, well, strictly speaking woman. Allow me to introduce myself, I am Sugar Plum Mary. Without me to organise the toy workshop in Lapland Santa would get rather disorganised, he isn’t very good at multitasking you know.

“You don’t look like a fairy to me Mary.”

“Of course I’m not a fairy, how dare you try to make me out be a fairy!” “I am of highborn Elfin’ stock and don’t you forget it!”

“I’m sorry Mary I just thought Sugar Plum was a fairy.”

“Oh, that fairy with a similar name, I assure you we are not related and there is not an ounce of fairy blood in my linage. Honestly, I do all the work and she takes all the credit at this time of year.

“I’m still not sure why you are here Mary…ah, the elf who is Santa’s right hand woman.”

“Well the C.S.M filtered your message and made it a priority which required a prompt reply so here I am to confirm your query is at the top of Santa’s list and he will give it his immediate attention, rest assured.”

“Ehm… thank you Mary I feel much better now I know someone understands my problem and is willing to help.”

“You’re welcome lassie, be safe in the knowledge that we are here to help, you are a valued child after all, be patient and all will be resolved….”

Millicent flung the door open and skipped toward the bed, with a nicely timed hop betwixt the skips, she found her target area and landed neatly on the bed with a satisfying bounce.

“Wakey, wakey, Margie! Merry Christmas! Rise and shine!”

Margaret slowly surfaced from what had become a restful sleep slightly disoriented she vaguely wondered if she was being assaulted by an offended Sugar Plum Mary who took exception to being called a fairy.

“Mmmph, what are you talking about, Christmas day is still three days away?” A confused Margaret was trying to find her equilibrium.

“Where have you been silly, everyone knows when it’s Christmas?” Millicent seemed to be her old unconstrained self.

Adam strolled into the room he had heard the little tornado sweep down the hallway and blast open big sis’s door, “Merry Christmas, to one and all!” The cheerfulness seemed to be infectious as Adam sported a warm smile on his face.

How could she miss three days she wondered, she did feel well rested and somewhat invigorated, the cheery disposition was indeed catching. Shaken out of her confusion by a very animated Millicent she had no time to dwell on these set of circumstances.

“Come on Margie, get up lazy bones, mammy and daddy are waiting for us to gather round the tree and open up our Chrissy pressies!” Millicent whisked away her sister’s duvet in her impatience to get on with the proceedings.

Adam giggled at the look of consternation on Margaret’s face as she took a playful swipe at her currently annoying little sister. “What have I told you about knocking before entering and my name is Margaret!”

“Ooh! Margie’s in a tizzy.” Millicent had bounced back to her irritating best or worst at the expense of her big sis.

Ever the diplomat Adam disturbed what could otherwise turn out to be another bout of bickering between his two sisters. “Here’s your dressing gown sis, let’s not keep the olds’ waiting.”

Without further ado, if only to quieten the irrepressible Millicent, she donned her robe and the trio made their way to the lounge.

“HO! HO! HO! “I come bearing gifts for the children who have been very good all year.”

The children were greeted by the sight of their father in the full regalia of a Santa’s outfit and decided to play along.

“Santa I’ve been a really good girl this year!” Millicent was such a drama queen. “What did you bring me?” Oh I just can’t wait!”

Lank was so happy at his youngest daughter’s reaction, the whole family had endured so much hardship this past year he was determined to make this, the best Christmas ever.

“Gather around the Christmas tree, all you children who have been good and there you will find your reward.”

With no need for further encouragement the siblings approached the tree where their gift wrapped offerings awaited invitingly. Of course Adam only joined in to enjoy the spirit of the occasion as he found no delight in the typical boy offerings hidden within the appealingly decorated parcels.

Millicent squealed in delight as she unwrapped, the girly gifts consisting mainly of stylish dresses and various accessories to compliment them. The icing on her cake was the new karaoke system, after all the little drama queen did like to perform.

Margaret received items of clothing, cosmetics and the much vaunted i pod, but her main concern was for her brother as she knew he always went through the motions with no real anticipation when opening gifts.

As she observed Adam unwrap the expensive gift she had been so determined to purchase for him she was surprised at the overwhelming look of happiness which suddenly overtook his dispassionate expression.

It would be amusing to comment on Margaret’s look of stunned disbelief when her brother revealed a cute pair of white trainers with a pink trim bordering the topside. They had a navy blue trim when she had gift wrapped them, and to add to her amazement they no longer bore the much coveted logo advertised on their outer side.

To her surprise no member of the family commented on this apparently girly gift which her brother had revealed and promptly tried on for size.

Due to some inexplicable reason this wondrous pair of trainers displayed the logo “LIKIES” instead of, probably the most expensive brand of sports gear in existence!

All of Adam’s family were most complimentary as regards his smart new footwear and Millicent even gave an envious glance in admiration. It did cross her mind they would look well at home amidst her own shoe collection, only for casual wear that is.

Margaret had never seen her brother so elated, it was as if he had become intoxicated on some illegal substance, he gracefully rose from the floor and approached his beloved sister, who had bestowed this gift upon him and gave her the warmest hug of love that she had ever encountered.

“Thank you big sis, this is the most wonderful present I have ever received, they are so adorable. Look everyone aren’t they the cutest shoes ever?”

Adam was suddenly displaying his true self and in front of his parents with no inhibitions, and to add to this conundrum they did not seem to notice his outburst of excited femininity.

“Oh they look really cute on you Amanda.” A gushing Millicent admired. “They would go really well with your candy striped dress.”

“Your sister is right Amanda, why don’t you get out of those boring jeans and put your pretty dress on?”

Margaret could barely believe the unfolding of this surreal event as her mother encouraged Adam to go put a dress on. She was too stupefied to say anything. To add to this bizarreness father also made an appeal for him to go change.

“Come on Amanda, we’ll both match in our pretty dresses!” Millicent grabbed her brother’s hand and eagerly pulled him towards their bedroom with no protest on his part.

In fact he was skipping along in excitement matching his sister step for step. All the while Margaret looked on in stunned silence, unable to comprehend the scene unfolding before her. The only silly thought that kept occurring in her frozen brain was the fact that her older brother had addressed her as “big sis.”

In what seemed like no time at all Millicent and Adam entered the room arm in arm wearing identical outfits with care, free smiles lighting up their faces. Amazingly it seemed like the most normal thing in the world judging by their parent’s look of delight.

“Look at the pair of you in your pretty dresses,” their proud mother enthused.

This statement, Margaret could not deny as Adam did look very fetching in his candy striped dress. His dainty legs were clad in a lovely pair of white lace tights with a pattern of multiple hearts adorning them, his former gift of trainers had transformed into a pair of white Mary Jane’s with the light, reflecting off the patent leather and still retaining a hint of pink on the sides with the “Likies” logo still discernable in cute lettering.

Dainty legs? Margaret thought fleetingly, why such an impression of her big brother would occur to her until she realised the boy who had always been taller than her had somewhat reduced in height, to the extent she was now looking down on his shorter stature.

To add further to her dismay Adam did not remotely look like the Adam she had known and loved all her life. This boy of whom she always thought was too pretty to be a boy had become even more pretty, in such a girly fashion there was no chance of him ever being conceived as ever being of the male persuasion.

Her confusion was multiplied further by the way his hair had adopted a softer and lighter appearance similar to Millicent’s light shade of blonde, furthermore it actually seemed to be growing longer at an imperceptible rate.
 
 

“Look at this stuff, isn't it neat?
Wouldn't you think my collection's complete?
Wouldn't you think I'm the girl
The girl who has everything?”

 
 
A sudden realization hit Margaret, akin to sticking her finger into an electrical socket and receiving a thudding shock throughout her numbed body, which in turn brought her back to reality, if indeed this was reality and she had not succumbed to insanity.

The two little girls were singing Ariel’s song in unison, or should we rephrase that? The twins were singing their favourite song from “The Little Mermaid” in perfect harmony.

Adam was no more in existence. Before Margaret’s very eyes her big brother’s hazel eyes had changed colour to a vibrant shade of sparking blue to match his little sister’s eyes, which he had always admired and in a blink of an eye stood an identical clone of Millicent.

I think we can safely say at this juncture the eyes have it. Ha, ha, ha. Oops sorry this silly narrator couldn’t resist that little aside. Ahem… where were we, oh yes.

To Margaret’s utter astonishment it dawned on her poor, barely functioning brain that she now was the eldest sibling with two little sisters. To convey her conflicting emotions would be most futile, on the one hand she felt grief for the loss of her brother, but yet looking upon the little girl he had become she felt the joy radiating out of Amanda’s very being, and resolved to be happy for the boy that never was, who had miraculously found her heart’s desire.

As the day ambled on and Margaret had managed to gather her wits, she relaxed on the sofa studying these two little bundles of energy dancing and singing whilst making use of the kariokae machine, of which they now had joint ownership over, she could not help but think of the air of normality hanging over their quaint little home. It was as if it was the way it had always been, not to mention the way it should have always been.

“Lassie.”

Margaret felt a shiver run down her spine.

“Lassie, come hither.” She felt that wispy voice more so than actually hearing it, almost as if it was an unbidden thought gently rolling within her skull.

“Lassie, come hither and all will be revealed.”

For a second time that day Margaret thought she was losing her sanity and felt compelled to look upon the Christmas tree for a familiar figure in the name of Titania, anything to reassure herself that she was not delusional.

Horror of horrors! Titania was conspicuous by her absence from her customary place at this festive time.

A sudden feeling of remorse overcame the poor bereft child, not only had she lost her beloved brother, albeit for his greater happiness, she had now lost her prized possession, the most tangible link she had to her deceased Nana.

A deep feeling of loneliness was stealing her heart when out of the corner of her eye she spied a sparkling orb hovering mid, air, defying its diminutive size with the bright light it exuded for all to see.

Only, as Margaret checked to see if any other member of the family spotted this supernatural happening, all there was in front of her, was a seemingly normal Christmas scene as her parents were being entertained by the karioki twins getting pleasure out of their shared Christmas gift.

“Come hither my child and learn of your destiny.”

“Nana?” an inaudible whisper escaped the befuddled girl’s lips.

It felt as if an invisible string was tugging gently on her heart leading her inexorably in the direction of her bedroom.

On entering her private sanctum, private when Millicent did not intrude upon it, Margaret spotted the mysterious ball of light resting on the pedestal which Titania would occupy year round, with the exception of the festive season when she would sit in her rightful place atop the Christmas tree.

With not a little trepidation the bewildered girl approached the glass orb which usually shielded Titania from every day wear and tear, observing the minute ball of brilliance residing on the very same pedestal.

As if this day could not get any stranger, to her absolute astonishment, the magical light transformed into a very familiar Titania, with one exception. This particular fairy was all flesh with not a trace of clay for a head. She was stunningly beautiful and exuded a radiant glow which in turn flattered the intricate weave of her gossamer wings.

The resemblance was uncanny, why did she never see it before when she had so often gazed upon the doll of clay that was gifted to her by Nana, of which she would catch herself in daydreams wondering what it be like to live the life of a fairy.

“Nana, is that really you?” “You are so beautiful in your youth.” Margaret was almost breathless as she realised this woman whom had been her role model and mentor for all of her short life was as it turns out, the real Titania!

“It is child of mine, I can stay but for a short time as I am no longer the powerful fairy I once was, so please listen carefully.”

“But Nana, there is always a queen of the fairies, Titania is immortal without her the fairy kingdom would be lost!”

“Hush child and listen carefully.” Margaret could still hear that authoritative voice of her Nana emanating from this diminutive little fairy.

“Sorry Nan… Titania.” This whole scenario was confusing the poor girl.

“Remember the fairy prayer child of mine, I taught you those words for a reason. I was released from my obligation to rule as queen of the fairy kingdom after many centuries.”

“Why would anyone give up such an honour, it was your birth right?” Margaret could not understand how anyone would give up such a privilege.

“You are but a young soul child you have never experienced the true burden of responsibility which can weigh so heavily upon your shoulders, when there are so many important decisions to be made for the welfare of others.”

Once again the poor girl had to bow to this nugget of wisdom, which she couldn’t fully understand but decided to store it away in the recess of her mind, in the hope it would serve her in the future.

“If there is no queen Titania then how does the fairy kingdom survive?”

“Remember the changeling my dear, she had my first husband’s magical blood flowing through her veins. It enabled me to turn that innocent boy into the heir to my throne and thus avoid blood on his hands, by way of his father’s dastardly war crimes.”

“So now she reigns as Queen Titania?” Margaret was beginning to get a grasp of the situation now.

“Yes, I gave up my immortality for the love of your grandfather and thus my prayer was answered by the grace of God.”

“What of this destiny you speak of, for my sisters’ and me?”

“My dear don’t you realise by now? You have fairy blood coursing through your veins. You and your sisters’ are changelings.”

“We live in the mortal world Nana there is no magic in this realm, what destiny could I possibly have?” It would seem Margaret was in information overload, as it had slipped her mind what she had witnessed earlier.

“Though it is rare in this world, there are certain channels through which it can flow from the fairy kingdom. You and your sisters’ are vessels which serve as a gateway.”

Dawning realisation was slowly overcoming the innocent young girl. She was at least half fairy after all, which was better than being no fairy at all. She had so many questions running around her head but instinctively knew there was so little time for all the answers.

“You are saying that I and my sisters’ possess magic powers and we can use them to aid the happiness of others?” Margaret could scarcely believe such an occurrence was possible.

“You and your sisters’ are as yet very young and your individual gifts’ have not yet matured to their full capabilities. Remember my child you already display a remarkable gift of insight and understanding. As of late Millicent’s latent power of influence through her sweet singing voice, can have a powerful influence upon her surroundings and those within her environment.”

“What of Adam, why was she not born a girl as nature should have decreed?” Margaret could not help but feel a little irate at this injustice inflicted upon her brother after all surely magic should have intervened to prevent so much heartbreak.

“Even I do not have all, the answers child. I am no longer privy to the tangled skein that is weaved in other realms. If it helps, I will venture to say it may have been to aid Amanda to use her gift wisely when it emerges.”

“Nana, how will we know when we are ready to shoulder these responsibilities, it all seems a bit scary?” The poor girl was beginning to wring her hands at the very thought of what all this would entail.

“Worry not dear child, it has already begun. Only you were never aware of the goodness bestowed by yourself on those around you. Let your heart guide you and all will be well. And remember when you hear your heartbeat a part of me will be there.”

“Oh Nana I have so much to learn please come home and guide me.” Margaret knew this time with her nana was concluding and felt a deep longing for this wondrous woman to stay in her life for longer.

“Be strong Margaret, you know I belong with your grandpa in another place, I have taught you well and you are stronger than you give yourself credit for. It is your turn to guide your sisters’ in preparation for their destiny.”

A twin tornado could be heard rumbling along the hallway, towards the inevitable direction of her bedroom, the terrible twins obviously missed her presence on this festive day.

“Listen to your heartbeat and know I am with you my darling child.” Titania transformed into a bright orb and floated into the mirror which faded into the distance leaving Margaret alone with her own reflection.

“Where you been Margie?” cried an excited Millicent

“Yeah where you been Margaret?” concurred an excited Amanda. “It’s almost dinner time.”

“Wouldn’t want to miss out on all the yummy food now would you?” The gruesome twosome took a hand each and swept her along on the crest of a wave towards the dining room.

Inexplicably her heavy heart and worries were lifted from her being as she was propelled in the direction of the proffered goodies. Then again, considering these unique girls’ maybe it was not so strange.

The family spent a few pleasant hours enjoying their festive meal and it seemed to be the most natural thing in the world to have a pretty set of twin girls giggling as they pulled their Christmas crackers and entertaining the family with their delightful chitter chatter. On close inspection Margaret could still see so much of Adam’s essence in her little sister Amanda.

To the twins delight their parent’s had decided to take them to a special showing of The Little Mermaid on Boxing Day. Margaret would maintain that she was too old but secretly she was looking forward to the little sortie.

To add to Margaret’s delight she spied her precious fairy on top of the tree. Yes Titania was back in her rightful place and all was well with the world.

Well almost.

Maybe it was coincidence or as I would like to think providence.

After a lovely meal the three girls donned there coats and scarves and ventured out front. Well it would be neglectful to not build a snowman with all the snow available.

Spending an industrious hour in the building of Mr Snow man, they only had the final touches to complete their sculpture. Amanda had the honour of inserting a carrot for the nose while Millicent fussed with his scarf insisting the knot had to be just so. Margaret being the tallest of the three girls finished off the attire with an old deerstalker hat which had belonged to grandpa.

As the girls stepped back to admire their creation an ominous voice sneered from behind them causing them to jump in surprise.

“Is that the best you can do, how pathetic is that lump of snow?”

They knew the voice only too well even before turning to look for the source, yes our villain of the peace was on the loose again. Billy Le Knut was leaning nonchalantly on the fence with a couple of snowballs in either, hand and sporting his usual inane grin on his face.

“Billy Le Knut, don’t you dare throw those snowballs at us!” Surprisingly it was Amanda who recovered her wits first. She put on a show even Millicent would be proud of.

“Why do you want to destroy everything that is pretty?” Amanda stamped her dainty little feet and stomped her way closer to Billy. The odious fat turd was taken aback by this little ball of fury marching toward him and dropped his missiles in surprise. “It is the season of goodwill after all, why can’t you try to be nice for just one day?”

“I ehm… don’t ehm…” Billy was getting rather flustered as he was not used to this act of his defiance from his peers, never mind this little girl. It crossed his mind that she was very pretty and truth be told pretty girls kind of scared him. Hell he had never been able to have a civilised conversation with any girl as he always got tongue, tied.

Caught on the back foot he realised he had to brag his way out of this in order to salvage his pride.

“What you going to do it about you little girly pip squeak, I wouldn’t want to pull out your piggy tails unless I have to. Billy felt smug again he had gained the upper ground. Maybe he had been a bit premature with that thought.

Margaret and Millicent had advanced and took hold of Amanda’s hands in a show of solidarity.

“How long do you think it will take you to pull out six piggy tails from three biting and scratching girls fatty Le Knut?” Millicent was unusually restrained but she spat her words out with enough venom to poison the air around Billy.

The poor boy (poor?) adopted a deathly pallor on his fleshy cheeks. “Y.. Yo... You don’t frighten me.” Billy wasn’t very convincing and started shuffling his feet looking for all, the world like the cornered rat that he was. He really wanted to take to his heels and run but his brutish pride would not allow such an act of shame.

Margaret felt bolstered by her two little sisters. “And we are not frightened of you Billy Le Knut, why there is so much of you, who knows what we might scratch or bite off.” It seemed as if the sisters were gathering strength from one another and possibly some unknown source.

What was even more unsettling to Billy was the two little girls’ outbreak of giggling at their big sister’s statement. The very act proved that they were not intimidated in the least.

“Well I suppose it is the season of goodwill after all.” Billy was slowly stepping away as he wanted desperately to extricate himself from this predicament.

“Oh Billy don’t go yet, Amanda pleaded in her sweetest tone of voice, to show there are no bad feelings we would like to give you a present.”

Her sisters looked at her in stunned amazement and Billy displayed a similar expression as he was frozen to the spot. “You want to give me a present, stammered Billy, what’s the catch?”

“No catch Billy, it is Christmas day after all, good will to all men oh and women of course.” Amanda gave him a sugary sweet smile of reassurance. “Just stay there, I won’t be long.”

“Have you lost your marbles?” Millicent hissed out of the side of her mouth.

Amanda gave her nonplussed sisters’ a mischievous smile and a sly wink as she turned and entered the house with a hop and a skip.

Promptly she came skipping out again with a shoebox wrapped with a pretty pink ribbon and approached the fence where Billy stood with a look of bafflement on his chubby chops.

Margaret and Millicent looked at each other with the same thought in their mind, Amanda had flipped and Billy was sure to follow when presented with the effeminate wrapping.

“Here you go Billy, no strings attached” Amanda proffered the gift with a big grin spread over her pretty face.

“Uhm, well, eh, thanks.” Billy had rather a scarlet glow on his countenance as he shuffled his feet in embarrassment whilst accepting the gift.

Her two sisters looked on barely believing the scene unfolding before them as Billy pulled the bow of the pink ribbon securing the lid.

To Billy’s eyes the ribbon was a shade of dark blue and he saw nothing untoward with the innocent wrapping. To his delight, the lifting of the lid revealed a much coveted pair of the latest trainers bearing the prized logo brand on the side.

Of course what the girls saw was entirely different. Billy Le Knut was clutching a white pair of trainers with a lovely pink trim bearing the wondrous “LIKIES” logo.

Billy was almost overcome with emotion he wasn’t used to this act of kindness from anyone.

“Are you sure they are very expensive?” He couldn’t believe he had even asked such a question as he couldn’t wait to try them on for size.

“We’re sure aren’t we girls?” Amanda looked to her sisters who nodded their heads in confirmation.

Amanda decided the odious boy would not need much persuasion. “They were a present for a male relative but he couldn’t make it for Christmas so you are welcome to them.”

“Yes please do, I don’t really think they were his style anyway.” Millicent had to have her tuppence worth.

“They will just languish in a cupboard and it would be an awful shame to see them go to waste,” encouraged Margaret.

Billy did not really need any convincing as it would probably take a crane with a fortified winch to pull them out of his clutches. He did have a penchant for the footwear as Adam discovered at his own expense several months ago. In fact the pair on Billy’s feet looked very familiar.

“Well if you say so, I have to get going anyway.” He ambled of as quickly as he could in order to conceal his embarrassment.

“Bye bye, Billie!” The girls twittered in unison.

It was about as much of a thank you the girls could have expected.

While the twins giggled their little head’s off Margaret looked on with a rather indignant demeanour.

“You two knew about the shoes all along and you never let on!”

Amanda came up for air after giggling so much. “I’m sorry sis, Millicent and I wanted to see how long it would take you to realise. When I put the trainers on they turned pink and the lettering reformed into “LIKIES” and I was aware of it all happening. The strangest thing really was a wispy whisper came unbidden into my head and asked me if my heart’s desire was to be a girl and there was only one answer to that offer.”

“I saw it all happen to big sis, I’m not blind you know.” Millicent chirped in. “Anyway you are so insightful you would have figured it out eventually.”

“You little pair of minxes, as if one little sister was not enough to contend with now I have two of the brats.”

The twins’ gave each other a knowing look. “Two against one!” they screamed and with perfect synchronicity proceeded to pelt big sis with a hail of snowballs.

After much carefree laughter and frivolity they heard mother call them in, before they caught their death in the cold.

They fell into their own silent thought as they shed their welly boots and winter garments.

“Do you think Billy will get to choose?” Millicent pondered aloud.

“No way, he is such a bad egg there will be no choice in the matter.” Of this Amanda had no doubt.

“The village will be a better place for all to live in.” Margaret was very insightful.

Millicent had another one of her clever ideas or at least she thought so.

Bolting through to the kitchen where mother was making sandwiches from the turkey left overs.

Mummy can we invite a new friend to see “The Little Mermaid, she’s a new girl to the village and she may be lonely?”

Her sisters came through close enough behind to hear Millicent’s plea and a wry grin spread over their faces. Margaret spied a bright twinkle flashing from atop the Christmas tree.

“Any of your friends are welcome to join us if you wish.” Mother replied whilst preoccupied with her food preparation.

“Just this one girl mummy, she is rather special.” Amanda was always going to have an air of mystery about her aura it would seem.

Joyce looked up from her chore and beheld the lovely sight of her three beautiful girls, her heart was fit to burst with the love and pride she felt for these feminine delights.

“Milly, Molly, Mandy sweet as sugar candy.” She sighed.

The End.

Wait a minute the narrator has not been introduced formally.

“Yes I am the narrator who has been keeping a keen eye on the Andersen family since the previous Christmas as I knew they were extraordinary special.

“How do I know all these things when I am in Lapland most of the year? Remember we have moved with the times and I did mention we had gone electronic to keep up with the demand.”

“Be careful what you say when sitting beside the Christmas tree as your words may be broadcasted via your fairy lights, all the way to our workshop in Lapland. My C.S.M is very adept at filtering the very important conversations.”

“I do have team of very astute elves to organise my inbox.”

“Anyway along with the technology at my disposal and many impressive contacts such as the queen of the fairies I can keep my finger on the pulse so to speak.”

“Who am I, haven’t you guessed by now? I did provide my own special brand of trainers which facilitated this fairy tale.”

“I am Sugar Plum Mary, not be confused with that fairy, I am of good elfin stock I’ll have you know, so never mistake me for a fairy.”

“Be good boys and girls and a nice pair of trainers may appear under your Christmas tree next year.”
 
 

The Double End

 

up
22 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I have been a very good girl (I hope)

and i will be even better next year if you send me a pair of those shoes...

"Treat everyone you meet as though they had a sign on them that said "Fragile, under construction"

dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Great tale!

Ingenious idea, combining magic and technology to grant Amanda's deepest desire. So that's why the seasonal illuminations are called fairy lights! Invoking Titania from Midsummer Night's Dream - and a mention of the rivalry between Titania and Oberon for the changeling (of course, in Shakespeare's version, Oberon used Puck's distractions to grab the boy - hardly a satisfactory outcome!)

Changing the trainers from the "Just Do It" company to LIKIES - I like that idea - and the hint that Billy will shortly be Billie (hopefully with any pleasant [but largely hidden] bits of the original personality retained while the negativity is removed, rather than a complete personality over-write).

And the Power of Three - I'm sure the girls will lead a very Charmed life (tee hee hee!)

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!