Richard's Way - Part 0

Printer-friendly version

Richard’s Way
Jennifer Christine
 
Prologue
 
As I flopped into the passenger seat I realised that my life sucked.
“Good day at school dear?” Mum intoned using that slightly patronizing voice that mum’s always seem to use on their children.
Almost as bad as using a lacy hanky to wipe your face after an ice cream and using her spit to dilute the crud round your mouth — thankfully that hadn’t happened for a while — though I guess all it would take would be an ice cream to melt inappropriately to find out if it was still likely.

“God mum, this school is awful, why do I have to go? You know I already passed my entrance to Uni and got a four point zero scholarship.”

“Do stop using that awful American slang dear, it isn’t nice.”

“Neither is ‘Do stop’ — it’s tautologically not allowed.” I winced as she clashed the gears and we pulled out into the traffic.

“Well, why do I have to go?” I re- started the conversation which had been craftily sidelined by her illustriousness, my mum.

“Socialisation skills sweetie. Your therapist says they aren’t up to scratch and you’re not going to be comfy at Uni if you can't communicate with your fellow students.”

I groaned inwardly. There’s a lot of things the Uni students aren’t going to accept about me as well as the integration aspect.
At 15 and looking like Hayley Mills in Whistle Down the Wind, I’m not going to be everyone’s idea of Macho Man.

Yeah I know, I don’t look anything like a boy, never mind macho.
Which is why this school thing sucks. I have more bruises on my body than I have clear skin, though I have to admit the bullies are pretty good at making sure none are visible outside my clothing. No one likes a clever dick and I am just that. Clever with a capital ‘C’ .. My IQ is over the top of somewhere north of 165. They keep measuring it and it keeps going up — like my brain is growing or something.

Richard Drury Coombs. It raised a laugh the first time they heard it and after that it was a tool to be used to stab my self worth. Dick Comes. Thanks mum.

As we neared our gate, it started to open as the sensor noted the nearness of the car. You’d think that was a bit fancy and posh, but actually I made it one wet weekend out of a 3mhz walkie talkie and an old printer motor. The house was nothing special. Not to me anyway. It was moderately big, but not for the area. 5 Bedrooms on 5 acres — well dad’s a bank wallah, what do you expect?

“Make sure you stay clean tonight, your aunt and uncle are coming round with the twins. I don’t want them holding their noses as you walk past like last time.” Mum admonished while looking over her long distance glasses at me. Myopic old thing that she is.

“Hey I was experimenting with chicken poo detonators (they didn’t work — well not the way I made them) I didn’t know the stuff was going to erupt like a volcano (seems I still have a lot to learn about chemistry)” I looked at mum and shrugged as I disembarked and quietly shut the door (I wasn’t about to slam it, it was too beautiful and mum loved her little Z3.)

When I got to my room, I dropped my backpack on the case stand in the walk-in and took out my gym kit and popped it down the laundry chute. Grabbed a robe and hit the shower. I hated the smell lingering on my clothes and me. That schooly smell, sort of pencil dust and silverfish shit mixed with Harpic and sweat. EEEeewww.

I spent a little while thinking over the weekend ahead and felt a little disappointed at not being able to spend some time as my alter ego. Well you guessed it not only did I look like Hayley Mills, I felt like her as well. Mum and dad have known for ages that all is not well with me — my therapist has told them that I have ‘issues’ about who I am. Though I don’t think he’s ratted me out about my crossdressing, dad would’ve gone ballistic.

At least I get to spend some time with the twins Angela and Sarah. They’re a year older than me and very pretty — but not terribly bright — well they’re average, but not in my league.

After I got dressed I decided that discretion being the better part of valour, I’d go down and be ‘available’ when the family arrived. I guess they’d be here all weekend as I noticed the pool cover was off and I could hear the pool pumps humming from my bathroom which was adjacent to the pool house. They don’t bother normally until Saturday if it’s a normal weekend.

Creatures of habit my folks.

“Hi, Rich,” my uncle grabbed my hand and shook it vigorously. “How ye doing?”

“Fine Unc.” I nodded my head, exaggerating the movement of my arm which was still being pumped. The twins grinned and finger waved. Fine looking girls that they are.

“Good…. Good.” With nothing more to say worth recalling, he wandered off looking for a glass and some whisky. Mum had it ready as I heard him sigh as he entered the lounge and the tinkling of ice confirmed his grip around the cold reviver.

I flopped onto the couch where the twins had already ensconced themselves and grabbed for the TV remote. Angela was quicker and grabbed it first. “Na-na. Beatcha.” Sticking her tongue out.

“How old are You?” I rolled my eyes and grinned. Her free hand holding me away from the remote, slipped down my chest and rested over my breast before I could stop it.

Suddenly her eyes went saucer shaped — “Richard!” She almost yelled.

“Shhh — keep it down for Christ’s sake.” I went red and grabbed for her hand which was probing my torso.

“My God Rich, what have you done? You’ve got boobs.” She stage whispered — Sarah got interested fast.

Doomed — Oh God — Oh God! I’ve been trying to keep it a secret (obviously).
Right. Think.

I grabbed Angie’s wrist and gently removed it from where it was squeezing, “Please don’t Ang, it’s a bit sensitive at the moment.” I hesitated. “Christ, I hope you guys like me enough to keep a secret?” I turned the prayer into a question.

They both nodded with conspiracy written all over their faces, while I tried to get some air into my lungs and stop the prickling of new tears behind my eyes — I didn’t want red eyes — mum would think I was on pot — she’s really against that….

“My room, now,” I urged desperately, slipping off the couch and turning towards the door.

“Nice tush too,” Ang giggled. Last thing I wanted was one of the ‘units’ to hear.
“For God’s sake, keep it down.” I opened the door and checked the hall.

“We’re just going up to my room to play some music mum,” I shouted.
“Ok, not too loud, I want you to be able to hear when I call — I don’t want to have to phone you to get your attention, like last night.” Mum instructed as per. I was surprised she didn’t add, ‘leave the door open’.

“And leave the door open.” Guffaws from uncle and ‘fat chance’ accompanied the additional unnecessary codicil.

“Come on, let’s get this over with.” I ascended, trailing the twins.
I put the stereo on loud enough to cover conversation but quiet enough so we could hear approaching steps.

“So what’s going on Rich?” Sarah quizzed quietly looking at my chest for signs of unnatural shape.

“Well I wanted to declare this as a fait accompli when I was 16 — next month, but it looks like I have no alternative but to include you in my plans.” I looked from one to the other.
“I’m going to tell you this on the understanding that you don’t divulge any of it until after my birthday. Is that understood?” I searched their faces for signs of plot shifting.

Sarah and Angie both held out their Pinkies in synch. “Pinkie promise.” They said, also in synch. I shook their pinkies and settled on the bed they sat on the long stool at the dresser.

“Well, here’s the story.”
**********************************************
OK folks….. DO I continue?
There’ll be a gap of a couple of weeks until I’ve got a fair bit done if you want to read more.

up
203 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Don't stop,

ALISON

'you have made a great start.

ALISON

Please do

Please do continue.

Yes

Please continue. Nice start.

Continuation...

Should you continue this story? Is the Pope Catholic? :)

Of course, although he is TG and has the looks, because his mum apparently takes him to / from school directly, he can't exactly adopt the approach of Jasmine in DL's tale Simon(e) by changing clothes en-route. But, given how bright he is, hopefully it won't be too long before he makes some friends (probably girls) - and with him already planning to reveal his 'true' self on his birthday, hopefully he'll be able to make make some (local) friends who share the secret and provide an opportunity to be himself (well, herself) outside school hours.

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Y'know...

...this story reminded me of D.L.'s Simon(e), too, even before I read your comment, and just from reading Part 1 (somehow I missed this bit when it was originally published). Richard and Simon(e) share many traits in the way they plan, have dysfunctional relationships with their parents, and are prepared to go to great lengths to achieve their personal goals.

Obviously Jennifer has decided to continue the story, and that's a good thing.

Powerful Similarities


Bike Resources

Keep going!

Tanya Allan's picture

Please continue

Tanya
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes!

There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes!

I'm honoured.

My Favourite Authoress.
Hi Tanya
XXJen

A Great Opening

I'd hate to see it ruined by not having a continuation :P

Melanie E.

very good start

well worth continuing.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Don't stop now...

...you have me hooked with a great start so please do continue.

Hugs,

Sarah Ann

Complete

transition in time for Uni?

Definitely continue this one. Well written. Grabbed my interest right away

Erica

waiting

youre off to a running start. lets keep it going. keep up the good work.
robert

001.JPG

A very nice set up

ninatg1's picture

Sounds very plausible and it has my attention. I look forward to seeing the flower bloom..

Yes!

Please, please do continue. This has real possibilities.

Joani
Dance, Love, and cook with joy and great abandon

Please do!

Please do!

This grabbed me immediately

in ways that few stories do. I note we have a competent protagonist, which is my favorite kind of story.

Please continue.

- Moni

Novel or series?

Good start and you should continue.

One suggestion though - before continuing, decide whether you are writing a self contained story (albeit in instalments) or a series. The main difference I attribute to a self contained story is that you know where the backbone of the story before writing. In a series there are usually a number of overlapping threads hence there is no clear end point.

I noticed a few writers here starting what they expect to be a self contained story but then losing thread of it and that is a terrible waste since they can write very well in a very engaging fashion.

The third option is to write a series of self contained episodes or related stories, where the characters are re-used, some reference to previous story is made but each story is essentially self contained.

Hope to see more!

Author's Note

I have a plot laid out - front to back - can't continue past it as a new story - so no, it'll be a story in about 5 or 6 pieces

Jen

A very good start.

You have done it again Jen. This such a cute beginning, I can't wait until the next few chapters to see just how ballistic dad is going to get to realize that his son not only looks like Hayley Mills, but wants to have a body like her too. I have friends that are identical twins, and there is no such thing as keeping a sceret, especailly when they think it is in their best interest to tell "the units" what is going on. Waiting breathlessly for the next chapter.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

A very good start.

You have done it again Jen. This such a cute beginning, I can't wait until the next few chapters to see just how ballistic dad is going to get to realize that his son not only looks like Hayley Mills, but wants to have a body like her too. I have friends that are identical twins, and there is no such thing as keeping a sceret, especailly when they think it is in their best interest to tell "the units" what is going on. Waiting breathlessly for the next chapter.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

Haley Mills

Haley Mills, I had such a crush on her even up into my teens!

Hell...

Andrea Lena's picture

...between her and Patty Duke and Elinor Donahue, I was pretty much set for my entire adolescence with wondering if I could ever date her or be her. (Yes...I just said that about Sara Smith from Dr. Who...maybe Diana Rigg too) What can I say...I remain...confused!



Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Lookalikes

My Cousin Shiela looked just like Hayley.
I adored them both!
My cousin ended up alcoholic. Which was very sad.

Pretty good writing...

OK, I'm good to go. Do I get an offical fan button?

:)

Khadijah

Thanks Gwen - coming from a

Thanks Gwen - coming from a great author like yourself, that's accolade indeed!