Of Heroes and Bullets: Super Powered Blues

Printer-friendly version

Note: this is kind of loosely based on a very good book, and very different take on the superhero genre: Those Who Walk in Darkness, by John Ridley. I suggest checking it out if you enjoy my humble story.

What happens when humanity gets tired of gods in their midst?

The superhero "Age" began in 1942 when Spitfire and Blitzkrieg fought each other to a standstill over the African desert. Their battle may have been a draw but Rommel's Afrikakorp didn't fair so well.

Before long there wasn't a large battle fought during the war that didn't have a super or two involved. Rising Sun and American Eagle went at it in the Pacific. Red Star fought The Ubermensch in Stalingrad. The Legion and Le Masque tangled in Paris a time or two. It was all very exciting and fun. American Eagle hawked e bonds when he wasn't fighting over Europe or the Pacific.

When Hammer and Sickle ripped Iron Cross to shreds in Berlin it suddenly became less fun. The people at home didn't see this, of course, but the other supers did. Things changed then. It wasn't propaganda anymore, suddenly, like the rest of the war, supers became deadly serious.

Blitzkrieg died during the Battle of Berlin, killed by Red Star over the Reichstag. School children in Great Britain watched newsreels of Spitfire's speech over his body for decades after the war.

American Eagle captured Rising Sun during the Battle of Okinawa, in June 1945, effectively putting Japan out of the superhero business. Then the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki put American Eagle and the rest out of the business of war.

Superheroes went back to their countries and were met with parades and medals and then forgotten as the work of rebuilding took over. Heroes and normals alike thought things would go back to the way they were before the outbreak of war but some bottles, once opened, can never be closed again.

The first recorded act committed by a super powered villain happened in 1948 in New York City when Malice robbed a bank, using bolts of green energy to take the vault apart then the police who tried to stop him. He got away with $50,000 and left behind a trail of dead and dying that stretched three city blocks. The brazen daylight robbery lured American Eagle out of his comfortable retirement and when Malice attacked another bank, American Eagle tried to stop him. a shiny new FBI badge pinned to his familiar uniform.

The image of that melted badge running down American Eagle's burnt corpse was irrevocably seared into the minds of Americans that day. Malice was taken down but the loss of a Great American Hero shook the country to the core.

It took two months for new heroes to make their presence known. Liberty Belle took the mantle of American Eagle in New York City. Starburst and Flashfire soon followed and the first hero team, The Guardians, was born.

More followed, all over the country. Suddenly there was an explosion of super powered men and women, fighting in the air, fighting in the street. Super powered battles, once an abstract in newsreels from foreign countries, became all too real. What seemed exciting was now terrifying, as titans battled each other in American streets.

Buildings fell, lives were lost, and the public tolerance for supers dropped. Every ruined city street, every rubble filled alley, every death, just added to the growing public anger.

The supers were oblivious. The heroes kept trying to stop the villains and normal men and women suffered.

Excerpts from a lecture at Columbia University, presented by Johnathan Ian Edwards, PhD.
May 18, 2011

"One can make the argument that there wasn't any single event that turned the whole of the country against super powered individuals, rather a lengthy series of events that caused a smoldering hatred. The Battle between Year Zero and Rampage in Chicago in 1966 that caused the deaths of 262 people. The 1973 battle between the Jade Archer and Obsidian, 183 dead. Fury vs. Ladyhawk in 1984, 79 dead. On and on, large and small battle all over the country, all tragically similar in that dozens or hundreds died. The anger simmered and boiled and then the unthinkable happened, and the simmering anger turned into a bonfire, fueled by the bodies of the 500,000 who died in an instant because one super hero, Golden, failed to stop Doctor Death's doomsday device. No one, Doctor Death especially, I would assume, thought it would actually happen. This event in 1998 wasn't the first time he had held a city hostage with threats of mass destruction. It seemed almost a game to him. Only this time the heroes failed to stop him, and his bluff was called, and a giant swath of New York City was reduced to glowing rubble, including Doctor Death and Golden.

The response was immediate. Politicians from both sides of the aisle called for blood, none louder then Governor William Parnell. His wife and children were among the dead and no one could ignore or forget his tear-stained face as he called upon the President to "just do something! This has been going on for too long. Gods in the playground and we, we are the ones who suffer! Well we don't need you, heroes. We don't need you, villains. We did just fine before you and we'll do just fine after you're gone!"

That day New York Congressman Gregory W. Meeks introduced HR 1077, outlawing supers in the United States of America. The bill passed unanimously in both houses and was signed into law in record time. Almost overnight the very existence of supers was outlawed on pain of death. Super powered men and women were given 30 days to leave the country or face summary execution. Any outcry over the constitutionality of the new law were very quickly drowned out by the survivors of the Disaster of New York and the family members of the dead. Some supers revealed themselves and offered to work with the government and law enforcement but were told, in no uncertain terms, that there were no exceptions to the law.

And so it was that the age of the super hero came to an end in the United States. Super powered men and women left the country or went deep underground, hiding their powers, fearful of the government empowered death squads that formed in every major city, tasked with identifying and executing supers. The very first Super Powered Tactical Response Unit was formed, appropriately enough, by the NYPD. Tasked with investigating, hunting down, and killing anyone with a proven superhuman ability. These units were the best of the best, police officers trained to a very high standard by military Special Operations personnel, equipped with the very best weapons and armor money can buy. Squads formed all over the country and the supers who were left learned to fear them. Any super foolish enough to display their powers in public has an execution warrant signed and is quickly hunted down and killed.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is where we are today. I'll discuss the ramifications of the exodus of America's supers in another lecture. Good evening and be safe."

"It's not safe to be a super, not at all, no matter how kindhearted or benevolent you may be. It doesn't matter what your ability is. Healer? If the police get wind of you you're just as dead as a pyrokinetic. Even something as useless as being able to change the color of flowers gets your ticket signed." The scruffy man takes another drag off his cigarette before continuing. "There's a loose kind of underground railroad for supes in most cities. Places to lay low, that sort of thing, but most of the ones left try to stay away from anything that might get them killed. Make no mistake, they might just be humans but they know how to kill us. They know our weaknesses, they know what kills what kind of supe, and they bring whatever they need to get the job done."

Another pull on the cigarette. "Yeah, it's real dangerous for them. They tend to lose one or more every other mission but they keep coming and they learn. They learn, they adapt, they get better. Their guns and armor get better. I hear they have access to some high level DARPA shit they haven't rolled out yet but I bet it's coming soon."

He finishes the cigarette and tosses it on the concrete. "It's a bad time to be super powered, kid. Bad time, wrong place. Best bet for you, if you want to live, leave the country. Looking the way you do now, changing like you did, you got a rotten hand. I can't help you any more then I have already. I don't know anyone else and I don't do anything to attract attention. I resist the urge to use every day, knowing that it will just get my ass killed if I do. Leave the country kid or you'll be dead in days." With that he walks off, leaving me alone in the alley, dark save for the glow coming from my eyes. Eyes that did not glow like that just two days ago.

"Shit."

Eighteen. Alone. Super powered and with a drivers license showing a drastically different face then the one I have now.

I'm well and truly fucked.

Note: As has been said before: comments are life blood to an author (with all due credit to EoF). I seem to suffer a steep drop in readers and comments between parts one and two of my stories so I'm going to try again and see if the pattern remains true.

up
91 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A really interesting beginning

It's true that supers would cause more trouble than it's worth. That's one thing that comics show but never discuss.

Ah...

Good start, an interesting take on the traditional Hero genre (even if fan-fic for another author - unsure if this is based on John Ridley's books or just inspired by). Looking forward to more. (And I might check that author out too.)

JC

The Legendary Lost Ninja

A combination

It's kind of both. It's inspired by and a bit of fan fic. He didn't go into a backstory or history of supes but the general ideas are attributed to him: a super battle killing a tonne of people, supers being outlawed and law enforcement going after them. That's pure John Ridley, the details have changed so as to allow people to read his excellent story without it being spoiled by my little one. His is told from the POV of one of the officers, mine is told from the other side and will diverge in a few other ways as well. Those Who Walk in Darkness is very grim with a stark and spare writing style that I find very appealing and would recommend it to anyone wanting a different take on the genre.

comics/books

I'm probably misquoting but heck, "those they give extraordinary powers they take a lot in exchange" and then spidermans "with great power comes great responsability.

Made me think about an ethics class ...

Kind of reminds me of

World war Hulk and Civil War... in the marvel books, enjoying this hugely!
Love all things comics and am eagerly anticipating the next installment...
Cross the boarder to Canada kid... we take the ones the US chases out!
Hugs Heather,
Diana

If u out law guns only outlaws will have guns.

Hmm, villains and supers would eventually get together and force a change. could be a big mess. It's interesting that in this story the non suppers apparently get the job done will less casualties. I would think that the villains would have a field day with no heroes to stop them.

----------
Jenna

Incredibles

That's what bothered me about the Incredibles too Jenna. All these super-villains will just go away without the heroes to fight them? Of course that would mean no more locking up the Joker because they would just kill him dead. After they managed to catch him after he's poisoned the city with laughing nerve gas. Short term this would be slaughter as the bad guys have a field day. Long term it would work given pure weight of numbers.

Of course this is also dependent on the cause of superpowers. In the Whateley Universe the numbers of mutants are increasing as the gene expressing those abilities become more common generation to generation.

The other problem is the resistant factor. All the norms is doing is force growing more and more dangerous foes just like a virus does to antibiotics. You get to the point of diminishing returns, and end game. Plus training these anti-super teams is got to be like the SEALS and Special Forces who has a lot of trouble getting qualified recruits. And operating at that high level of readiness burns out your guys after just a few years. Plus that training takes time and money too!

A super? They dangerous the second they manifest. They only get more so the longer they survive.

I'm not tearing down your story or idea, this is just some of my own musings about outlawing supers. I'm very interested about where this is going.
Hugs
Grover

I thought of The Inredibles too but only much darker

On ALL sides of it. Very dystopian.

A bit like The Fools Fight in the Whateley Academy Universe only this time The Fools Fight happens many many times. Thus the over reaction by the norms and the creation of special forces death squads like these combined with a strong anti supers detection system. Plus once you have such organizations they want to maintain their position/power thus the organizations try to overestimate the dangers and underestimate their abilities all in the race to get more govt funding.

I agree, a solid start.

Will be worth reading IMHO.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Villains vs. death squads

I guess the outcome would depend on the power and skill level of the supers.

Yes, the death squads would eventually get someone like the Joker. But if someone like Dr. Manhattan or Tennyo from the Whateleyverse starts fighting in earnest, the result might be a leveled, radioactive city. Not really worth it.

And some of the "brainiac" type supervillains might be able to evade capture for a long time, and in the meantime they could launch their attacks without resistance from other supers.

More of us than them...

No mention is made of the outside world, but if only a few places have such a total ban on super powers then mostly the 'supers' will move out. Far more normals than supers means it's not going to be worth bucking the trend. This breaks down if there is no where else to go. Then you would get a resistance movement and a fight for survival, which would very costly. You only have to look at guerilla movements in places like Afghanistan (during Soviet occupation) to realise that if super man wanted to bring a country to it's knees he could very easily do so. If you genuienly have nothing left to lose you will take a lot with you when you go.

JC

The Legendary Lost Ninja

Stan

I wish I had continued this and will write more. I also wish I had thanked you for leaving a kind word on everything I wrote.

Thank you.

I'm going to jump on the bandwagon here

and go with the villains having a field day. Oh some will die, get taken out but what are they going to do when they get hit with a team or a real heavy hitter of a badass. They'll need the supers for just that, but the underground this treatment they're actually breeding more villains.
I could see humanity going something high tech to equal the odds like the Sentinels in Marvel comics or even the MCO in Whately, but also the supers getting registered by law like in several plotlines.
So much can go one with this really. I hope you can keep this going enough to maybe make a universe out of it in time.
*Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

History of the Promethean Metaverse

erin's picture

In the history of my fictional Promethean Metaverse, push back against metahumans resulted in the Overman Act in the United States circa 1954 making using a superpower or wearing a mask in the course of a felony a federal crime. Senator Overman's name even became a synonym for metahuman. In order to enforce the Overman Act, a group of law officers in powered armor were formed called Blue Stars/Blue Galaxy using tech confiscated from villains or donated by heroes.

Other super teams were eventually recognized and deputized as federal agents under Overman Acts II and III, in the 1960s and 1970s. In the 1980s, pushback from supers resulted in the creation of "metacourts" where metas themselves passed sentence on other metas. Meta-terrorism in the new century has resulted in the pendulum swinging again with the Alienization Act in which courts can strip metas of citizenship and the rights of due process and habeas corpus.

The pushback from law-abiding metas is probably coming but the distraction of a global recession in the Promethean Metaverse has delayed it.

I just need to write more stories :) but I'm intrigued by your treatment of similar themes here. Keep writing.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Very dark

I hope you continue this. It's the darkest I've seen, and stays in the realm of necessary human interactions. Once you end up in a Sentinel filled wasteland, there's little left but fighting and survival, not much time for gut and heart wrenching choices. You just kill or get killed. This is far more subtle.

The bad would still be bad

The bad would still be bad and would still think they can get away - one of the prime movers for crime in the first place.

I spent most of my life being different - I know how to hide. So would supers.

Oh, it's *definitely*

Brooke Erickson's picture

Oh, it's *definitely* unconstitutional. But like sending the Japanese to internment camps, it may be decades before justice is done.

On the other hand, this also amounts to "war crimes" or "genocide" under international law. Which means the US could find itself being put under trading restrictions or worse.

If some other powerful country decides that the US is way out of line on this, it could get really ugly. *Starting* with the International Criminal Court passing in absentia sentences on members of the death squads and the politicians who support them.

It could wind up with a war.

And that's not counting the supervillians, and worse, the heroes who decide that it's their duty to *end* this.

Given enough high powered supers, and enough world opinion on the "genocide" interpretation of things, and the US could be facing a "Restore the rights of supers or be subject to summary execution."

And many supers damn well *could* find ways to take out significant targets.

"Change the law or Washington DC becomes a crater" will tend to bring things to a head.

Sure, the politicians may be able to disperse and otherwise take shelter. Which could result in "for every super killed 100 'normals' will die". And just keep escalating the numbers until the public demands an end.

And frankly, even without outside or super intervention, at some point the public is going to realize what an atrocity killing harmless supers is.

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks

heroes

euh heroes wouldn't kill 100 normals, at least not intentionally or 'cause a populated citylike DC to
become a crater 'cause that would make them the villans.

One of the problems is keeping the 'high ground' in situations like this. If you lose it you just told
the politicians that passed that law 'and' the general populace that they were right. Which would
result in lose (at least in quantity) of suppord from normals for supers. Trouble is, it's the most
effectif short term solution :(. But you would have to create a society where supers where 1st class
citizen from day 1 and normals 2nd (those they can use) and mostly 3th class citizens just to let the
supers be able to stay alive/safe. Forget about the 1 and 99% then it would have to be worse.