US Politics in 2012

Printer-friendly version

I know this is mostly a non-political site, and it is a world wide site, but this story begged to be written. I hope you enjoy it.

Thank you Hope for help in editing.

US Politics in 2012

Barbara was sitting in her easy chair concentrating on the needle point pattern on which she was working, when she heard Edward yell at the television. The pattern was not very complicated, but she thought the flowers she was adding to her denim jacket would look pretty. The older woman had taken up the hobby to keep her hands busy while her mate watched TV. She looked up to see that he was getting agitated at the presidential debates again. She didn't know why he was so engrossed in politics this year. He tried to explain it, but kept going around in circles.

“The President and his cronies are bankrupting the country,” he would explain “But the challenger is just as bad. He wants to ram his religious morals down everyone's throats. With all the lies and counter lies they are telling, I just don't know who to vote for.” The exasperation in his voice was evidence.

Barbara just nodded and went back to her needle work. She hadn't made up her mind either, but she finally had to tune out the verbal warfare between the candidates and their supporters. The attacks from both sides were depressing at best and she wondered what the rest of the world thought about the US airing their dirty laundry for all to see. Once in a great while there would be a news story about how another country would riot if the people didn't get their way. She didn't want to think about how the Islamist were dealing with their situations. It wasn't that she was an airhead or didn't care, it was just she had enough problems of her own.

She had been fired from her job recently, because of rumors and a take over of her company by someone she considered a Christian Jihadist. She did her job well, she dressed in age appropriate skirts and dresses, but she didn't fit into the “New Corporate Image.” She didn't even fight the trumped up charges of lack of performance from the new manager of her department.

She had found Ed a few years ago after her marriage had fallen apart and moved in with him. She was happy with their life. Ed's and her children didn't abandon them when they decided to live together. And as they lived in the same town she found that the kids needed her more now to help look after the grandchildren. Two of which were playing on the floor.

“If I had MY WAY I would take the whole lot of those Sons of ...”

“EDWARD! Don't use that type of language around the grandchildren.”

“Sorry Hon. I just get so upset when they start talking about gay marriage that I want to take the whole lot of them forty miles south of Key West and let them walk back. The Republicans want to force their morals on us and the Democrats don't care as long as they get to take every last cent from us. Whatever happened to the 'Pursuit of Happiness'.”

Barbara answered, “It was tossed in the trash back in the 90's with my khaki slacks, sport coats, along with my power suits, power ties and boxer underwear.

up
122 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I don't fully understand

I don't fully understand Barbara's last comment. Does she mean to imply that she wishes to go back to wearing power ties and boxer underwear?

The Pursuit of Happiness

The question is what ever happened to the Pursuit of Happiness. It was thrown in the trash along with... The US was founded on Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. Through regulations and laws the citizens of the US is quickly coming to the point when one must raise his hand to ask a politician to go to the loo. A child cannot open a lemonade stand without permission from the local bureaucrats.

Barb Allan

i can see his point of

Renee_Heart2's picture

View, I'm sorry that she got fired just for being TG that was the feral reasion
Idk if we will EVER be accepted. At least she has some one who loves & cares about her as well as their children & grand kids. This election I just want it over with.

Love Samantha Renee Heart

I want it over

I was over this back in the spring.

Barb Allan

US POLLY TICKLING 2012

Yes, I agree. It is enough to make people wish a great big STORM would hit them and wash them all away, isn't it !

What? You mean... one DID ? Wow ! Magic !

Briar

CAT 1 vs CAT 5

The north east was hit by a super catagory 1 storm. What would have happened if they had been hit by the size storm that hit New Orleans....

Barb Allan

Absolutely clear situation in Germany

Our biggest TV station (ARD) did a survey a few weeks ago: If you could vote for the US president, how would you vote? Obama 95%, Romney 2%

Most of the civilized world defines itself by some degree of public welfare. We simply cannot understand why something like Obamacare has not been introduced at least 50 years ago.

In GB and other countries like Finland healthcare is free and financed by taxes. Here in Germany you pay 7.5% of your income for healthcare, which also includes your family. Changing the insurance company does not lead to exemption of former or chronic illnesses. And SRS? You need to jump through quite some burning loops but it is included.

I am glad

I am glad you are happy with your form of health care. What is not told is that no one is turned away who needs health care. The poor and indigent may not get organ transplants, but basic health care is not withheld. That is one reason health care costs may be higher that one may think as the hospitals must at least break even or make a profit. Therefore, hospitals charge the insurance companies and those who can afford it higher prices to cover the cost of those who don't pay. Also, hospitals are competing for patients. Therefore, they must offer the most advance treatments to keep patients coming back. And I won't start on ambulance chasing lawyers that advertise on TV.

Barb Allan

Oh.. I wonder

how that's working out then? Some time ago, I saw a documentary about an organization that tries to rally medical professionals into a combined effort, once in so much years or such, to allieviate health care issues such as dental problems, basic small time surgical aid, immunization and where possible and practical more involved procedures. For third world countries, like in Africa, Asia, you name it.

The documentary was very extensive, and this organisation is reported to aid many thousands of patients, coming from miles around, for free health care they could not otherwise pay and receive.

What made it especialy memorable was that this episode was reporting about one such effort held in the United States of America, where it was deemed necessary because the need for this health care aid was for thousands of patients who were struggling with their problems for many years, and couldn't afford and get help any other way. The lines of people waiting were immense!

This was aired some time before Obama was elected - the first time :) - and I remember thinking when I heard one of his major points of agenda was a nation wide healthcare system, "Good. Finally. Maybe the US won't be regarded third world health care country from now on."

Imagine my surprise when many of the American citizens held strong believes opposing this plan. One of the recurring arguments against it, sounds something like "I/We don't want the government deciding for me/us what good healthcare entails, and how to go about ensuring that if/when I need healthcare I/we have a plan. Because it's not the American way. I/We are strong, capable, independent individuals, and don't want 'pampering' and government sticking their noses in.." Etc. etc.

But! That may be the case, for many of you with sufficient schooling and/or common sense, but there are -literally- many 100's of thousands who are not that smart. Who are not able, even if they were, to afford even the smallest amount for taking part in some sort of plan.

The way I see it, is that Obamacare is mostly to ensure that those who are now basically left out because they are inept or can't afford insurance or would think it unnecessary because of stupidity or arrogance or whatever, are cared for. It's not sooo socialist, it's civilized.

Jo-Anne

US Politics in 2012

Touche Barbara

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Great Comments

We are the land of the FREE as long as you are not a WOMAN then some gray haired (or balding) old man tells you what you can not do with your own body.
There are 1.3 million RAPES in the USA every year with 80,000 pregnancies but a Woman can not make up her own mind what to do after becoming pregnant by RAPE.
It is a very sad day that we are even talking about a Womans freedom of choice in 2012
A very SAD American -- RICHIE2

Abortion rights

This too is a very complicated subject. I didn't mean to stir up so much. It was basically a story to end this election madness and take these power hungry corrupt men and women and.... The reason for forty miles? That way the sharks will tire before they can get them back to shore. You know professional courtesy.

Barb Allan

You are exaggerating!

Abortion for ANY REASON is available in this country. The only limitation is in waiting too long. This controversy has little to do with what you do with your body. It has to do with what you do with a body separate from your own. You errantly consider this as a means of control when it is clearly a matter of conscience. Not everyone who is 'PRO-LIFE' denies stipulations considering health of the mother and rape. The fact is those circumstances are circumstantially (that is you arguing rape statistically) argued to justify abortion on demand (that is abortion for no good reason).

Health Care

From what I know the US hospitals are only forced to accept patients without health insurance if they are in immediate danger to die. Others suffer for decades unless volunteers help them.

That's true in most of the country...

And doesn't look likely to change much. Most states are only BARELY meeting the MINIMUM requirements of Obamacare, and only California has any true public health care system. Interestingly, public health care in CA predates Obamacare anyways... So... Yeah...

Abigail Drew.

Sweetly done

sweetly done Ms Allan k-jo

I was lying down minding my own business when life came by and drove right over me

Just look a bit over your horizon

@Jo-Anne:

> The way I see it, is that Obamacare is mostly to ensure
> that those who are now basically left out because they are
> inept or can't afford insurance or would think it
> unnecessary because of stupidity or arrogance or whatever,
> are cared for. It's not sooo socialist, it's civilized.

Just read quite some stories here and you find people suffering in ways that seem completely absurd from this side of the pond.

Here in Germany we live in a way that Romney would classify as "extremely left/communist". But remember: Our nation was in ruins 67 years ago. 23 years ago our country got larger by one third and that third had been ruined my the communists. Today we have a lower unemployment rate than you have. Much of that depends on much better education of the vast majority of the people because of a (for the people) cheap education system.

You might not like our way of living. But our example proves quite some arguments wrong used in your country. For example that higher taxes for the very rich cost jobs. Instead of another villa or another swimming pool or another (German) car you should invest in your infrastructure and your education system. THAT would help! Well educated people pay more taxes than those on minimum wage.

But...

That's not the American Way! *eyerolls*

The way of "life" that most Americans are used to and comfortable with is to have the rich 1% own everything and control everything and rigidly keep the rest of the country poor so they CAN afford their excess.

That is changing, though, and the past two elections are proving that we're finally getting fed up enough to start standing up for ourselves in large enough numbers that the rich can no longer keep us controlled.

I'm not going to comment directly on what Obama or Romney were saying they wanted to do, but let's just say, the Repubs are just as interested in bankrupting the country as the Demo's. They're just going about it differently.

I give the US MAYBE another decade at best before it succeeds in pissing off the 99% enough to ignite WW3. It'll start out as a second American Civil war, but it'll soon escalate into global conflict. It'll wind up being a war so massive it'll completely dwarf the previous two world wars COMBINED.

Abigail Drew.