Alex & Chris Chapter 20

Printer-friendly version


Alex & Chris
By Sharphawlad

Chapter 20 Beatrice.

Alexis and group went for a meal to Merry Old England that was situated down one of the many Passageways in Leeds. After that they made their way home.

Linze, “Mind if I look at your trinket box Astrid.

Astrid, “I might even put on some of these tomorrow.”

Linze looked at one item, “Astrid I did not notice this before.”

“Oh it fell from Beatrice into the box I was intending giving her it back tomorrow. It looks nice and is old but not like the others.”

Linze studied it “Do you mind if I keep it. I will come tomorrow to return it.” Back at home Linze studied the broach. “I know I have seen it before but I cannot remember.”

Her mother came, “Linze is everything OK?”

“Yes mum it is just I know I have seen a broach similar to this before. I have been going through all my records and cannot find it.”

The mother, “It was made by Garrard’s before your time there in fact long before. This is mine your aunts; Betty, Doris and Dora have one each. We have a cousin Beatrice who lives in Leeds who should have one but then that is it.”

“Mum do you still write to Beatrice?”

“To be honest love we argued a long time ago and then we never made up.”

“Mum tomorrow you are going with Astrid and the girls to return this. Astrid has managed to hire your cousin Beatrice as her Nanny.”

The following morning. Beatrice was waiting for the group but looked rather upset.

Astrid, “Cheer up we are here now to see you OK.”

“I was being a silly old woman Astrid. I wore something to work I cherished and lost it. Now I have nothing to remind me of what I once had.”

Astrid, “I have a present for you.”

Beatrice opened the box, “You found my broach. Thank you very much.”

Astrid, “You should take more care. I cleaned it up the rubies & emeralds look like mine now.”

“Pardon Astrid”.

“I have one just Identical apart from the fact it has a different number on the back yours has 5 on while mine has 1 on.”

Beatrice looked at the broach,” Astrid where did you get this it is very important? I know who should have the number one and it is not you. My eldest cousin should have that unless something has happened to her. Oh my god I am too late to make up and apologise.”

“Beatrice you always did have a vivid imagination. You did not recognise me but that is not surprising. Neither did you recognise Betty when she offered you a job yesterday.”

“The lady who wanted a companion & help in her store.”

“As for those older twins they are my daughters.”

Beatrice burst out laughing. “Does my pompous brother know yet?”

“I doubt it he wants to retire to the seaside and go and chat with Robert.”

In the daylight the store looked different. Floor after floor was bare. A local container firm had delivered two containers and the staff had loaded them up. The remaining rubbish had been cleared and put in the rubbish bins. All the signs had been taken down and the windows were devoid of any displays. The staff was all waiting for one last pay cheque and then they all dispersed to their homes around the City.

The Manager had his wife with him, “Once the containers are removed we are going house hunting. I have decided after talking it over with my wife that I will retire, but Help Robert out when he needs help.”

Beatrice, “Brother tell me what this is please.”

“Oh it is the old broach you keep wearing.”

“What else can you tell me about it?”

“Each of you girls got a similar one from grandma.”

“I got this which I was supposed to pass on to my child but we could never have any.”

Beatrice, “Brenda it is time I passed mine on, I presume Linda & Linze are yours & one will get yours so the other can have mine.”

The manager’s wife burst out laughing and said, “So the Betty was one of our cousins and you have agreed to go and be her companion.”

“Well I have no objection to moving but you will have to notify Margery Thorn that you will be resigning from your job to retire to the coast. No need to let her know we are having a family reunion.”

Mean while Alexis was at the clinic with Allison.” Helen how are the samples doing & when will they be ready for transplant?”

“Rose will be ready at the end of the week hers has grown the fastest and I cannot wait any longer that Friday for her. The others are all growing at a similar rate although I expect Alice to be the next.”

Allison, “If possible Alex and I want to be done on the same day.”

Helen, “Alex can you bring Rose back on Thursday and I will operate on her then. Now I need you to continue giving me samples for as long as is possible.”

After visiting the clinic the two of them went shopping. They went down to the Corn Exchange. As they were looking round a voice said, “Alex is that you?”

“Oh hello Marjorie how are you these days?”

“How is Chris? I am surprised that you are allowed out on your own.”

Allison, “Alexis is not alone & I doubt that she will ever be.”

Marjorie looked at Allison, “Alex I did not realise you had a twin.”

Alexis, “Well thanks to you I have no need ever to work again & yes this is my twin.”

“Alex Do you mind me asking which one of the girls eventually won you.”

Allison, “Chris is still Alex legal partner, As for Tilly and Angela they sort of share Alexis with Chris these days with a few other sisters.

Marjorie looked puzzled. “I thought Angela was the one making the play for you.”

Allison, “Marjorie Chris, Tilly, Angela, Helen & Leslie are all sisters & Helen & Leslie have children to Alexis. She is my twin and we have a younger sister who is currently dancing with Alexis daughters.”

Alexis, “Marjorie I realise now you were acting on instructions of my cousin Angela. Even Chris did not realise she was her sister. They both wanted the same thing me. You were not to know I had previously been set up with Angela and I would have been her play thing had I not got away. It was my own fault she saw the news item. I bear you no ill will Marjorie. In fact I should thank you. Would you like to accompany us we are going to the Corn exchange. We thought of having a coffee in the cafe there and then look round the boutiques.”

Marjorie, “I will just ring the office to say I will be delayed.” They had a coffee & Chocolate éclairs each. Then they looked round the exchange. Eventually they stopped at Madame Pomfrey

Allison, “Alex is will you help me please. I think those would look good on us.”

Marjorie, “Alex what is wrong with your sister?”

Alex, “She has had major surgery and has to avoid walking at the moment. That is why I am pushing her around.”

After buying a couple of dresses Alexis said, “Marjorie how do you fancy watching my daughters dance? We have a block booking for number 1 box.”

Marjorie, “But I have been trying to get tickets and I was unable how can you get tickets?”

Alexis, “Are you still with Jackdaw or have you moved on to other things.”

“Actually I am with a firm of Accountants these days. My secretary is old but very good. For some time now she has been saying about retiring. Her husband will have just lost his job as he worked at Alders. So I am expecting her to tell me she is packing up. To be honest Alexis I am fed up with my high flying job. It is not all it is cracked up to be.”

Alexis, “Come let’s take our seats.”

Beatrice came, “Boss is it OK if my Brother & wife come and watch the girls I said it would be.”

Alexis, “Send then up we have spare capacity here.”

Marjorie was to get a shock as her secretary and husband appeared. “You know Alexis.”

“Marjorie I tended my resignation but you were not in. Mr. Turner said, as I had holiday outstanding I could go immediately.” Beatrice came and sat down with them.

Alexis, “How did your first day go Beatrice?”

“Let’s say I got a shock or two and thanks for returning my broach although either Linda or Linze will have it now.”

“I take it old differences have been put aside and now everything is OK.”

“Actually I was wondering if Robert would help my brother to move me.”

Alexis, “Actually your cousin Robert is getting married and will be away for a month. Did he not mention this when he said he needed help for his stall?”

“He said his last assistant was getting married.”

Alison, “Yes Laura is to Robert. That reminds me we will have to sort the wedding dress out from the stock we bought.”

Alexis, “Beatrice I am sure the girls would all love to give you a hand moving.”

“To be honest Alexis I have not a lot of stuff to move but what I have is old.”

Marjorie, “Why do I get the feeling you are all related to each other.”

Brenda, “Well we all are in a way. “This is my brother and wife, Alexis & sisters are my Cousins children.”

Marjorie, “If you were already related to Angela why did she go after you with such gusto.”

Alex replied part greed and because she always was allowed to get what she wanted. In my case I was heir to a fortune and Angela thought she could control me. She did not realise Chris was made of the same stuff as her. Initially I was fuming with the both of them. Then more sisters came out of the woodwork, which also had a stake in me. Most of the sisters are also my cousins. Marjorie I am the head of quite a financial empire although most of the dealings I leave to others. Yes I have forgiven you & Also Angela. Chris my wife actually gets on well with her. What do you think to my daughters?”

After the show Jenny brought the girls back to Alexis. “I see you brought more friends to see the children.”

up
34 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos