Ginny's Story Chapter 89

Printer-friendly version
Ellen and <Jinny.jpg
Wendy 1.jpg

Ginny's Story

A novel by Karen Lockhart

Copyright© 2019 Karen Lockhart
All Rights Reserved.


 


It's funny how things happen


CHAPTER 89

After the movie, we stopped for ice cream sundaes at Friendly's. The first topic was how come my date had a better wiggle than I did, and why he got whistles and I got none.

Jack was beside himself laughing, and camping it up a bit whenever we got looks from the other people in the restaurant.

“You do know you could be a twin for Diana Rigg in that white snow-suit.” I said.

“Moi? It must be an accident.” Jack chuckled.

When the waitress came and asked what she could get for us girls, Jack lost it, getting the funniest look from her. He ordered a Jim Dandy, and more genteel, I ordered a chocolate fudge sundae.

Looking out the window, we could see the snow-plows and sanders still working on the street.

“I guess this means we'll have to have another date,” I said, “To go dining and dancing, that is.”

“You're twisting my arm, you brute.”

You should have seen the looks that statement got from near-by tables. That got me snickering again.

“Next time Jack, dress like Jack, unless you know how to dance backward in heels.”

As soon as I said it, I regretted it. Before he could answer, I gave him a loud “Hsst!” and a fierce look. We both broke up!

I think the manager was thrilled when we left!

Arriving back at the condo well before midnight, I invited him in for coffee . The ham agreed, dying to make a second entrance. We had Ellen and Wendy in stitches when telling them of people's reactions to our date. If they only knew that the glamorous woman in white was the utility infielder for the Red Sox!

Kissing goodnight, and saying we'll talk at the club tomorrow, Jack drove off in a cloud of exhaust steam, and I went to bed, teasing the other two that they won't wake up in the morning.

When Jean picked me up in the morning, she was all questions about our date. When she heard how Jack impersonated Mrs James Bond, she was barely able to stay in her lane on the Expressway.

“What better way to dress in a blizzard, on the way to see a James Bond movie?” I asked.

That broke her up again, saying she hadn't thought of that.

Soon we entered the club's parking lot. The mountainous snow-banks on the perimeter would last until May!

When I got to the bar, I found a red Santa hat to wear; it went great with my Christmas- tree lighted earrings. After an hour or so Hiram and Jack arrived to their end of the bar.

We were still suffering from the effects of the snowstorm, so business was rather light, giving me a chance to gab with the boys.

“Cathy was regaling me with your date last night Ginny; it seems he enjoyed himself with dressing as a vision in white, while talking you into dressing in LL Bean fashion.”

“Can you imagine it Hiram, I'm wearing hunting boots, and he's swinging his hips in tight white ski-pants. The SOB wiggled his way from the car to the theater entrance!”

“Honey, I wish I was there to see that!” Hiram laughed, “This is one evil person; don't say I didn't warn you.”

“I have a cocktail perfect for Jack's behavior, would you boys like to try it?”

After getting nods of agreement, I made up a couple, simple and easy to make at home. It's called a Queen Bee; 1oz of coffee brandy, ½ oz cream sherry, 1 ½ oz lime vodka. Shake together with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. You can substitute lime juice and regular vodka.

I made enough for 4 drinks, placing one in front of Jack and Hiram. After a sip I received big smiles. Hiram asked what it was called again and laughed at the Queen Bee name.

“She's got you there Cathy, just wait for your next date Queenie, just wait.”
“Don't be too hard on him Hiram, in a month he'll have to suffer the hot sun in Florida, while we relax up here in Winter's wonderland.”

“I forgot about Spring training in January,” he said, “I'll have to check which week Ian's condo is empty. Ginny, how would you like to be my guest for a week in Tampa Florida? We can take in some baseball and work on our tans.” Hiram offered.

“That sounds great! Ellen will be married and living with Pete, Rather than have Wendy stay with them, can she come with us? I know she'll love watching some games.”

“Sure, my son's condo is the size of a hockey rink, plenty of room. Speaking of hockey, do you still think it makes sense to trade a Stanley Cup goalie for a forward, Cathy?”

Off they went again arguing hockey; basketball would be next. Bobbi and I started with our bottle gymnastics thrilling the crowd. One of the cocktail waitresses asked if she could learn how to do it. I told her to come in early tomorrow and I'd teach her the basics. She happily agreed.

Bobbi asked about my new cocktail.

“Oh the Queen Bee, I put it in the computer, let me make you one, see if you like it.”

She took a cautious sip, then a larger one.

“Chris,” she called to the other bartender, “You have to try this.”

“What's in it?” she asked, “Coffee brandy and lime Vodka. You'll love it.”

Back home Ellen was dealing with almost two feet of snow on her project site. She was letting Wendy play with a Skid-steer loader moving snow around. She made room for three parking spots at the office, while Steve Brady used the big front end loader to scoop snow and dump it into the harbor.

Wendy got tired and cold after two hours and came inside for hot coffee and doughnuts.

“Aunt Ellen, this year I can be nice and warm looking at all that pretty scenery and snow coated trees. Last year, I was huddled in a cardboard box trying to stay warm, even huddling with someone else for warmth, wondering if the shelter would still have hot meals when I got there.”

Ellen looked at Wendy in horror as what she said sank in.

“You might have frozen to death if Ginny and I hadn't found you under this office trailer.”

“Well, it is pretty snug in that back corner, lying on building insulation and wrapped in plastic tarps. But it is a little warmer in the condo in front of the fireplace.” Wendy said that with a smile and a shiver.

Hurricane Steve came bustling in grabbing a mug of steaming coffee and two jelly doughnuts.

“It's cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey out there,” Steve said.

This of course got a giggle from Wendy thinking he was being vulgar.

Steve explained a brass monkey was a tray that held ready-to-use cannon balls on wooden warships and brass wouldn't leave rust marks on the white decks. Because of the difference in expansion of iron and brass in the cold, the iron cannon balls would roll off the brass monkey or tray.

Wendy started “That's better than colder than the nipples on...” I stopped her there.

“Young lady, no more of that! Steve you are a bad example for her. Why couldn't you have said an auditor's heart like civilized people?”

Now all of us were laughing.

“You kids go home and get warm. Hey Ellen, when I give you away, I hope that flatfoot is taking you someplace warm for your honeymoon, not like New Jersey.”

With that, he drove off leaving two rooster tails of snow behind his truck. Ellen locked the office while Wendy took care of the site's gate.

They were settling in with hot chocolate while Ginny was making up Hiram's new cocktail.

“How does steak, baked potato, and string beans sound for supper, Aunt Ellen?”

Ellen laughed, “Ginny trained you well Wendy, do you have the fixings for a pie as well?”

“As a matter of fact I do. Betty Crocker pie crust, and cherry filling from Amish country. They use a different kind of cherry, not as sugary, more tart. Let me start on the pie, that way it will have cooled in time for dessert and tea after dinner.”

Ellen was still worried about her after she was married, what with Ginny working from 2PM until 3AM and sleeping most of the time she was home. Maybe Wendy would be okay. She was starting Junior College in late January. With school and studying, that should occupy most of her time. She should make new friends at school too.

'Something else to talk to Ginny about besides the sale of the condominium,' she thought. 'I wonder if Wendy will enjoy finally having a bedroom of her own, or will she still sleep on the sofa bed in the living room? During the cold weather, sleeping in front of the fire sounds great, but in the summer, the bedroom sounds much better.

'As a matter of fact", Ellen thought, "I'll sleep on the sofa tonight, joining Wendy in front of a crackling fire. I wonder if Ginny will wake me up when she gets home at three in the morning?"

To be continued.

Many thanks to Bronwen Welsh for her encouragement and editing, without which, this story would not exist.
Special thanks to Tanya Allen for allowing her book "The Candy Cane Club" to be used in this story
up
142 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Great

The great thing about this chapter is that it shows the author is on the mend.

Welcome back

Samantha Heart's picture

I hope your feeling better. Ellin has some good points to talk to Genny with about Wendy. Looks like Genny and Cathy had a good date. I wonder howcspring training is going to go.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Me too!

Glad you feel well enough to re-start postings. Also sending a PM
Dave

Almost Missed This

joannebarbarella's picture

A most very welcome back!