Christmas Scrambled - 3

Printer-friendly version


Christmas Scrambled - 3


By Jessica



A boy loses his cool the morning of Christmas Eve…
With Essie’s encouragement, he decides to enjoy penitence…
=^_^=~


I am wearing a pair of flip-flops as we are done and walking out. When I saw Darby paying the bill I was aghast. She and Essie smiled, “Be thankful they know Essie and that you’re not at a major salon. We even gave Jalyn and Hope each nice holiday tips.”

I said, “Before they helped us; I thought they looked like they were starting to get tired. Then they came to life and were happy and energized.”

Darby says, “I am sure they are very tired. It’s all part of a busy holiday season and many of their customers are rushed, tired, not always at their best… You were probably a welcome change. Hope was surprised when you chose to have your hair done completely. We were glad you went with a soft perm, but it still will last most of this week. I suspect your long hair is going to be curvy for a while longer.”

I was sure they were trying to get me flustered into believing them. I was relaxed, which surprised them but neither I nor they said anymore. Essie informed me she had purchased my holiday outfit for tomorrow along with extra accessories which included my bra and several sets of panties, along with pantyhose.

When we got home Darby checked and waved us in so I could scoot upstairs with Essie. Essie would help me to put on pantyhose under my skirt and then my new shoes. While Darby was announcing we’re home. Grandma, my mother, father, and even Triggs our cat came to see.

Grandma was the impatient one, “So wave them in, I want to see how your new sister looks. Does she make a reasonable girl?… How did he do at the salon… Did you find shoes that will go nicely with her dress tonight?”

“Okay, I’ll wave them in, and then you can see for yourself.” Darby went to the door opened it and waved like it was a signal to us.

Anticipating everyone was watching the door, Essie brought me to the top of the stairs reminding me to slowly walk down after everyone notices me.

I spoke up in Marti’s voice, “Why are you looking for me there?”

Everyone turned and looked up and then I casually came walking down. I walked up to Grandma, “Grandma, thank you for the dress.”

I stepped over to my father, “Daddy, thank you for treating me to the salon and getting these lovely shoes. Darby and Essie said the salon trip included a manicure and pedicure. I hope you don’t mind?” I kissed him on the cheek and moved to Mom. “Mommy, how do I look? I hope you are pleased, I’m trying to be a good girl. I guess I’m to go to mass with Essie tomorrow morning. They even bought me a holiday outfit for tomorrow so cousin Laurie can see where her dress went to. I said, 'I could give her the dress then', but Darby’s sure she wouldn’t want it after I've worn it.”

Dad with controlled discontent, said, “Nice joke. Where’s Matt and who’s playing your transformed sister? She doesn’t even look anything like Matt.”

Grandma says, “Matt would be doing an academy award performance if he is she. I’ve seen him act, and there’s no trace of his acting.”

Essie and Darby have differing expressions as they begin to giggle. Darby says, “Seriously, that’s Marti. It’s like a new persona washed over her as she experienced the salon time. She helped to pick out this outfit and chose her hairstyle even agreeing to extensions for her hairdo.”

Mom spoke up, “Matt would never have agreed to have a permanent. That won’t be gone come to the end of tomorrow. Had he all of a sudden agreed to stay as Marti through New Year’s Eve?”

My expression changed with her statement. “That is you, isn’t it Matt. I see a glimpse of the boy I raised.” Mom looked me up and down, “O my, what a transformation, young lady. And I do mean lady.”

Grandma stepped up to look and so did my father. Neither was fully sure but was accepting that my Mom could see me.

I stayed in character as Marti and the three of us shared our experiences. Mom and Grandma both checked my index nails and saw they were capped with acrylic nails and shaped to conform with my other fingernails.

Mom escorted me to her room for a private talk, but grandma nosed in as well. Mom and I sat on the edge of the bed; mom holding one of my hands. Grandma had turned the vanity chair to sit facing us.

Mom took a breath, “Matt, don’t be upset but I feel I need to ask. Does this mean, you like being a girl?”

I am caught by surprise with the question, and I look to grandma wondering if she too considers it seriously. “No, Mom, I hadn’t even thought of it. I thought you’d be happy. I relaxed as you said and I decided to go with the flow and enjoy it.”

Mom sighed in relief and then began to talk more as a mom. “I can’t believe you made such a dramatic change. It is as though you are Marti. You look like you could be a friend or relation to either Darby or Essie.”

“I know Mom, Hope said the same thing.”

Mom asked, “Would you be willing to put on an apron and help me in the kitchen? Be careful not to damage your nails and please change out of your shoes until you dress for church.”

We were heading out of the room and Grandma said, “I do think I gave the gift to the correct granddaughter. While you were out, your mother helped me to get one for Laurie as well. If anything she’ll probably think hers is the best as each of you should.” Marti hoped so.=^_^=~
Now as it got closer to the service time and as Marti started to get dressed, she became more nervous. ‘I don’t want to mess things up, but strangely I’m more excited this Christmas than I have been in years.” Before the Christmas Eve service, I was dressing to be beautiful like my sister. Laurie stopped to see if there was a dress for her. She hadn’t seen Marti, instead, she’s in with Darby. Marti can hear them laughing and talking.

Marti is soon dressed as much as she can be but needs Darby’s help with makeup and to check her hair. Marti knocks on the door asking for Darby’s help with her makeup.

Laurie’s the one opening the door, “Hello, I’m Darby’s cousin and who are you? It looks like you’re going to church with us. Come on in a friend of Darby’s is okay with me. I’ll just quickly step into my dress to be decent; maybe you can help with the zipper. I can reach everything it just takes longer solo.”

Marti had seen her in as little during the summer at the beach but might be treading on thin ice here. He saw glimpses of Darby in her walk-in closet. Darby finally looked up and saw Laurie.

Darby steps out and asks, “Marti have you introduced yourself?” She turns to Laurie, “This is the surprise we alluded to before. Marti’s going to church with us and Grandma wants a picture of the three granddaughters together?”

“Three! Three grandchildren and how does Marti make a third granddaughter?” Laurie’s looking me up and down, “There’s a possible resemblance, but how, by whom?”

I ask her to be seated for a moment and she looks back and forth between Darby and me. I can hear someone coming up the stairs, knowing it has to be our mom or Aunt Cassandra.

Darby says, “This is Matt. It started this morning with him getting my gift and making a fool of himself. That resulted in being Marti in this scrambled Christmas mess. His girlfriend Essie and I were able to get him to a salon and go the whole nine yards, whatever that means?”

Laurie’s face moved from one expression to another as we explained more fully. Her mother sat enthralled next to her, but was all smiles from the ‘get-go’. Seemingly Mom and Grandma had already told her what happened.

Darby soon emptied the room except for Essie and Laurie. Laurie was to do my makeup this time, as my hair was all but done. I spoke up, “I’m nervous this dress is shorter than I thought and this is for real.”

Laurie by now thought I was cute in doing this; Essie and Darby were both sure I wasn’t turning back. “You need to relax Marti, being calm, and enjoying the night will go a long way to passing as a girl and having great memories. You never know, you might start a growing trend for next year.” That got us to giggle and me to get back into being Marti.

The next time with makeup finished, hair all in place, and my 2 ½” heels I was ready for the stairway one more time. Most of the way down the four of us girls stopped and posed for a group picture. Come, the last step Darby, Laurie, and I posed in our dresses with Grandma. We were able to fit in two vehicles without squishing ourselves and wrinkling our outfits. I had trouble stopping myself from wanting to hold Essie’s hands or hugging her. There were only two steps or a ramp into the church. Greetings were being extended all around with some asking where Matt was. Those who knew our family looked at me in wonder. I heard Darby, Essie, and Mom suggesting they visit after church.

I looked around and saw many girls I knew as friends for a long time. I said hi and knew their name and family. Michelle, a close friend was there and whispered to me, “Matt, what’s this with Marti and being all girlie up?” Michelle came with her family but soon was with a friend sitting in front of us.

The only thing I could think of was we were in the drama group and she was able to recognize me. Twice during church, I would hear her remark about my singing or what I did.

Essie was next to me with Darby and Laurie on the other side. We smiled, sang Christmas hymns, and sat quietly at other times. I wondered during the candle lighting and singing Silent Night if my face glowed as brightly as other girls, Essie looked angelic.

During prayer, I felt somehow comfortable about being accepted, my God. I included a quiet pray for others to be comforted by God’s love for them. I knew I had a new appreciation for others who felt left out.

Once outside after church, the snow on the ground blew a little and some frost on the trees blew down muffling the sound of the world.

With no fewer than seven to eight girls around us, Darby introduces me, “This is my sister Marti after New Year’s you’ll know her again as Matt.” The gasps could be heard like the sucking air around us. Mom turned from where she was, and she knew the news had been shared. Two of her close friends. Mrs. Havers and Ms. Wild soon extended greeting to me, as did most of my friends. Jake, like a few, were sure I was really another girl pretending to be me in disguise.

The time standing out there seemed longer than it was. It was long enough for my toes and legs to become colder. We were leaving when a girl home from college stopped me. “Thanks for coming, Marti, please accept this from me. She took off a necklace and placed it around my neck. “Have a blessed Christmas.” I knew Tamara and liked her though we rarely would visit.

Essie half complimented me on the nice necklace while teasing me that I had a second lover. We both thought it was funny that I was accepted as another girl. We even talked about how the conversation was rather normal for girl talk and not centered on me. Essie and two girlfriends exchanged reminders of the coming week. Who was going skiing or to this party or another event. Invitations were extended to Marti for two of the parties one exclusively for girls…

To be continued

up
156 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I'm glad Marti is being included

Samantha Heart's picture

I mean she got invited to an all girl party. That's a big thing in & of its self not to mention the other party she was invited to. It shows she is accepted as a girl.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Being accepted, but why?

Jamie Lee's picture

Family and friends are being very accepting of Marti. Why? Are they admiring the courage it takes for Matt to go through the experience? That Marti has become so much different than Matt around people? Even as Marti, Matt realizes he now has an appreciation for others. Marti isn't the center of the universe but one of the planets.

Matt told his mom he doesn't want to be a girl but he's a different person as Marti. And he's helping in the kitchen.

The people at church were not angry to see Matt as Marti, but accepting and complimentary. Strange church that doesn't have at least one holier than thou person who jumps on Matt being seen as Marti.

Even the girls Matt knows accept Marti. Did they not really care for Matt because of his attitude, or whatever, or like her family, admire the courage it takes to go through the experience.

Stay Marti through The New Year? Likely if Essie has a say in it. But will it be only others who want Marti to stay through to the new year? Might Matt like who he's become as Marti and want Marti to stay around?

Others have feelings too.

The Real

I think the girls are seeing something, something that Matt has kept buried all his life. They see the real Marti that should have been all along. A sweet, gentle girl. They like what they see and are instinctively responding. This is the positive feedback Matt has never had or earned. This in turn brings out more of Marti. I suspect by the start of the new year Marti will be seeing a specialist in gender who will confirm the Marti is the real person.

I do have to wonder, why Marti for name? It is a gender-ambiguous name. Instead I was expecting Mattie (Madeline). There is no doubt about Mattie, it is a female name.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Christmas scrambled part 3

And Marti has been excepted into womanhood

Girls rule