Doctor, Doctor

Printer-friendly version

“Miss Bryant, do you think you might give us the benefit of your undivided attention? This is a medical school, not a dating agency, as I am sure that you are well aware.”

Professor Hodges glared down his nose, over his spectacles and up to the row on which Alex and I were seated; how he achieved this feat of visual dexterity we never did find out. I glanced at Alex; we exchanged slight smiles, before turning our attention back to the professor’s revelations of the intricacies of the human digestion system. The few titters which greeted his outburst were quickly silenced by his scowl.

Alex and I first met many years ago when my family moved house. My father’s promotion enabled my parents to buy the neat little 1930s semi in the suburbs of the town in which we lived.

Both having older siblings who left us alone and did their own thing, Alex and I became firm friends at our first meeting. We rarely argued, played happily together and shared everything. For eight year-olds, that was certainly a welcome change from the growing pains of others at our school.

Neither of us was interested in doing what the other kids found fun, and so we tended to spend more and more time together. Our parents were concerned enough to try to get us to be “more sociable.” When that didn’t work, they engineered invitations to parties, often with cousins with whom we had nothing in common. Parental conferences were a regular event; much tea and coffee was consumed on these occasions and they would go on for hours.

Alex and I just ignored them and did our own thing. We could often be found in one of the bedrooms, listening to music or discussing any number of the topics that regularly occupied our young minds. We were officially of the same gender then so it was not a problem.

We sailed through secondary school, where we both achieved consistently high marks. We adopted the time-honoured principles of making as few waves as possible and blending in as best we could; thus neither teachers nor parents had any just cause to worry about us. Studying was usually done together but, as homework was submitted on time, without prompting and was always neat and accurate, there was no room for complaint.

We entered university, having both decided on the same courses. For us, there was no question and failure wasn’t even an uninvited blemish on our mutual horizon. It was a kind of competition if you like; not that we were in the least competitive, but there was no way that either of us was not getting a first class degree.

We decided to specialise in different branches of medicine — Alex wanted to go into urology — not literally thank goodness- and I took haematology. Both plumbing, if you like; just different fluids flowing through the tubes.

Eventually a decision had to be made; inevitably it was made together.

“Chris, I’ve been accepted for the Royal London.”

“So have I.”

“Still together, then, after all these years.”

I smiled and thus the die was cast. We started on the long road, and equally long weeks, that led to experience and, eventually, consultancy.

How we ended up at the same hospitals for all those years I’ll never know, but we did. Call it good planning if you wish; I prefer to believe that Fate, in whatever form you like to think of it, was looking after us. We shared nice houses — small but nice — in the three towns in which we lived, finally buying something much grander when we both got our appointments, predictably within weeks of one another.

I think by then that all four parents had resigned themselves to the fact that Alex and I were now in a relationship. We didn’t wake one morning and think “I love you;” it was more like we took it for granted. If we'd been asked we'd have probably said, "Yes, of course, we're soul mates." We’d neither of us had another love interest; I guess that, when you’re studying and working as hard as we were, and had the challenges we faced, you’re sort of blinkered. Anyway, that’s the way it seemed to us — soul mates.

It was when we confirmed that we were more than friends that the parents accepted, reluctantly, that we would never provide them with grandchildren. They were wrong.

THE END

up
81 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Neat

joannebarbarella's picture

You have me guessing. Two girls? Two TGs? No undue fuss from the parents = no scandal or notoriety? So I'm probably wrong on the second count. Hurry up and reveal all,
Hugs,
Joanne

Sorry, have I missed something?

I feel that there is just too big a gap in this story, a lot of information and details are missing, which means the story does not work for me. Just too much has been left to the imagination. I get the impression that the story starts with 2 boys and ends up with a boy and a girl, so what happened, how did this come about? We need to know more to make this story work.
Love and cuddles,
Janice Elizabeth

Thank You

I was thinking the same thing (that I must have missed something). I assumed they were originally male, but looked back over the story and discovered that everything but the professor's salutation was gender neutral. I guessed that I just missed the key (which everyone else would get). If I did miss the key, at least I have company.

Lots of Clues - SPOILER

terrynaut's picture

1) The story mentions that they're officially the same gender.
2) The professor at the beginning refers to Chris as Miss Bryant.
3) One of the story categories is transgender.
4) They had children.

Either the transgender category is a mistake and they're both female, or Chris had transitioned at some point and they adopted children.

I'm guessing they're both women and one found a sperm donor. I don't think hermaphroditism is an option or one of the pairs of parents wouldn't be surprised by having grandchildren.

Anyway, good story. Thanks. :)

- Terry

clue

It's possible that the professor is addressing Alex as "Miss Bryant." He's looking at both of them.

Also, it says, "We were officially of the same gender then." That seems to imply that they aren't the same gender now. So they either started as both girls or both boys, and one of them transitioned. I like the ambiguity.

Righty-o

terrynaut's picture

I caught that they are no longer the same gender and I updated my speculation as a reply to Laika's comment. Laika got me to think some more about it. I still think they were both born female and Alex is a FTM who was somehow able to get Chris pregnant. :)

No Dumb Guesses Here

terrynaut's picture

I wouldn't say your guess is dumb. I'd say I missed something in my favored option though.

I just noticed that the story implies they are no longer officially the same gender. One must have transitioned and perhaps did a very good job of it. I'd say now that Alex is a FTM and is able to get Chris pregnant. Wouldn't that be nice? :)

- Terry

Love Conquers All

This is a romantic story which allows the author to wave gently at such insignificant details as a child from a MTF SRS.

I would have preferred this story be much longer with actual scenes in many instances, but it is a compelling story as written.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Thanks very much, Angela

Angela,

You've just given me an idea for another story!

Susie

two GG?

Alex - Alexis?
Chris - Christine?

Comfortable with ambiguity

erin's picture

This can be read several ways. I like it.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

officially of the same gender

I like the ambiguity. I had to reread it.

Perhaps, a GG and an early MTF transition. Then they could have children.

DJ

I was feeling

bitchy. I couldn't sleep and it was the wrong time of the month. I can tell you, at 62, that's a BIG problem!

This has wound you all up, I hope you'll forgive me. I promise not to do it again.

As has been deduced, only the gender of Miss Bryant (who may or may not have been Chris or Alex) and Professor Hodges was revealed. Chris and Alex could be male or female; the abbreviated names were deliberately chosen to be ambiguous. The uncertainty of their original gender and their new gender was deliberate - just something to tax the readers' brains; and it did. The only definite fact was that one of the leading characters was transgendered.

The parents had at least fifteen years to get used to the fact that Alex or Chris (I'm not saying which) was different. And sperm can be frozen, children can be adopted and someone who is anatomically male but living as a woman is still transgendered.

Thank you all for reading and commenting. As I say, I won't do that again, it could be construed as cruel!

Susie

The Rascals

Is it a coincidence that the subject of your comment is the beginning of the song your story's title had already stuck in my head?

At any rate, it seems like Alex and Chris found some good lovin' with each other.

No, please do it again..

The story worked just the way it was structured. The flow was good, the unspoken bits of information added to the flavor, and helped bring it to the conclusion.

Janice

Ambiguity...transgender...

Andrea Lena's picture

...and romance? Who could ask for anything more? Great story, my dear sweet girl. P.S. Regis & Kelly Thursday via satellite hookup. Call from Gerard...wants to know if he left his wallet at your place?


She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Possa Dio riccamente vi benedica, tutto il mio amore, Andrea

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Just tagging along ...

Romance...soul mates...omg...to only have it once again.

Drea's Lil' Brat