The New Kid - Pt 1

Printer-friendly version
Flute and music stand-unsplash.jpg

Author's Note: When the text is alternating colors, please be aware that the scenes are alternating between the heroes.

The New Kid

Patrick Chatham entered the band room and nervously looked around. He was new to the area, as his father was a pilot for an F-35, and had just been transferred to Eielson Air Force Base.. Patrick was two grades ahead for his age, and this was his 2nd semester of ninth grade.

He carried his flute in and went to see the band director, Mr. Thomas. Mr. Thomas had the flutes make room and placed Patrick with the 3rd chair, until he had a chance to challenge.

Looking at his academic record, he didn’t think there would be any problems until he went against his top 1st chair, Michelle. Then, who knew what the outcome would be.

The class got started, and Mr. Thomas looked at Patrick. “Would you introduce yourself?”

“I’d rather not.”

The band director smiled, and asked, “Do you go by Pat?”

“Yes,” Pat said very quietly.

“Alright. Class, this is Pat Chatham just moved in from Joint Base Lewis-McChord.. Am I right, Pat?”

“Yes, Sir.”

“Let’s give his family a round of applause of welcome.”

There was a polite patter of applause, but the snare drum started into a roll, and the trumpet players did a fanfare to accompany it.

Pat blushed.

“They love a chance to do that,” the girl sitting next to Pat said to him quietly. “I’m Trish, by the way. I’m glad you just go by Pat. It would be strange having two Trishes sitting side by side.” She flashed a bright smile, and Pat was about to correct her mistake, when Mr. Thomas tapped his baton on his stand.

“Let’s take out Michelle, Eleanor Rigby.The song was a medley of three Beatles songs, starting with Michelle, then Eleanor Rigby, and ending with Yesterday.

We’re going to have a cabaret right before spring break,” Trish told him.

Trish, would you please zip it?” Mr. Thomas said.

Rather than the way a lot of school band directors did it, Mr. Thomas gave a three and four beat, expecting the band to figure the speed of the piece by them.

Pat was surprised. The band was much more in tune than a lot of high school symphonic bands he had heard. As a matter of fact, there was a trumpet player that was slightly flat, and as they were playing Mr. Thomas shouted over the music, “Lit it up, Darryl!”

Immediately, the horn went into tune.

At the end of Michelle, Mr. Thomas brought the band to a halt. “What was that about, Darryl?”

Sorry, Sir. I was just playing around.”

Play around on your own time; not mine.”

Yes, Sir.”

Mr. Thomas looked at Pat. “That was very good, Pat. He turned to the 2nd chair flutes. “You’d better practice more. You’ve got some competition,” but he said it good naturedly.”

The class went well, and by the end, Pat was very impressed in how good they actually were. He could tell that Darryl actually had been playing around, because he was actually the top of the 1st chair trumpets, and was very obviously very talented. Playing through The Magnificent Seven theme was a treat. The syncopation was performed flawlessly.

This class is full of people who could play in a symphony, he thought as he was cleaning his flute at the end.

Darryl came up to him and asked, “What’s your next class?”

Pat took out his schedule. “Biology.”

Cool. Mine too. Want me to show you where it is?”

Sure.”

Pat and Darryl became friends that day, and when Darryl walked Pat home, the younger boy said, "I don't want to embarrass you, but you do realize I'm a boy, don't you?"

Darryl took it in stride. "Really? I wouldn't have guessed that. I don't think anyone at the school did either."

Pat sighed. "I suppose that's better than my last school. I was with those kids for three years. We lived off base, and I was picked on pretty bad. I'd be a 7th grader, but I was placed ahead."

Darryl smiled. "So you're a genius too? That's cool."

Pat laughed. "Maybe if I just let everyone think I'm a girl, they wouldn't pick in me."

"There is that possibility."

"But the school has records that refer to me as Patrick."

"All you'd have to do is go to the office and tell them that you're really a girl."

"Probably not, but it could be done."

"I don't want to be a girl."

Darryl looked at him, appraising. "Too bad, " he said finally.

“What do you mean?”

“You’re pretty.”

Pat blushed, then turned to walk toward his house. Darryl chuckled. Pat held his books like a girl would. Granted, he had all his textbooks with him, plus his flute, but he held them in front of him with his arms wrapped around them.

“Would you like me to carry your books,” he asked.

“Why would you want to do that?”

“They’re heavy.”

“I’m not a girl, Darryl.”

“So you said.”

Pat sighed and handed them over. Darryl transferred his trumpet, in it’s leather gig bag, to his left hand, and carried Pat’s in his right. His own books were in a backpack.

“Pat, have you ever looked at your body language in relation to another guy’s?”

“What do you mean by that?”

“You know what body language is, right?”

“Sure.” Pat said in a way that invited Darryl to go on.

“It’s not just your looks, Pat. You walk, talk, hold your books. Everything about you says you’re a girl. How come?’

Pat just stood there, staring at Darryl.

“Why didn’t you tell everyone you were a boy?”

Again, Pat said nothing, but Darryl noticed that his eyes were getting moist.

“Pat, please don’t take me wrong, but are you really a boy, or is that an act?”

“Is it that obvious?” Pat asked.

“If you’re really a girl, why are you worried if it’s obvious?”

“Because I don’t want to hurt my parents.” Pat turned and started toward his house again. The crowd that had started out at the school had thinned as kids were turning reaching their houses, or heading down different streets.

They wouldn’t like it?”

I know my dad wouldn’t. He always wants to get me interested in sports. I’m not sure about my mom.”

Darryl nodded. “Has your dad always been that way?”

No. He started when we were at Lewis-McChord. He said I needed to have something the other kids would respect.”

And?”

I’m not into sports. This is my house,” Pat told Darryl as they arrived at 250E Northern Lights Drive.

Darryl started to follow as Pat walked up the driveway. “You don’t need to walk me to the door.”

The older boy lifted the books held under his right arm a bit.

Come on,” Pat said simply. He opened the door and they entered. “I”m home,” he called.

It was Friday, and Pat’s dad didn’t start work until Monday, so they were still working on unpacking the boxes dropped off my Allied Van Lines the day before.

*$#JFIE^ &kfa dfj9!” came from the master bedroom, followed by a bang and then a yell as if someone was injurred.

Darryl bent down and whispered in Pat’s ear. “Why would they station a Navy guy out here? We’re landlocked.”

Pat started laughing, and he heard his dad call, “You want to assemble this bed Pat?”

I wasn’t laughing at you, Dad!”

Uh huh,” his dad called, unconvinced. They heard him walk down the hall, “Oh. Hi,” Major Mike Chatham said when he saw Darryl.

Hello, Sir. I’m Darryl Johnson.”

Nice to meet you, Darryl. Are you any relation to the Colonel?”

Yes, Sir. He’s my dad.”

Well, it’s nice of you to take Pat under your wing.” He noticed that Pat only had his flute, and that Darryl had a backpack, and a stack of books in his hand. “Are those Pat’s?”

Uh, Yes, Sir.”

Pat quickly took the books and hurried down the hall.

The major watched him go and shook his head. Then, he turned to Darryl and said, “He’s not a girl, you know.”

Yes, Sir. I know that,” his eyes following his new friend as well.

Thanks for carrying his books for her,” Pat’s dad said.

Darryl noticed the abrupt change in pronouns, and looked around at Pat’s dad. He was grinning, and gave Darryl a wink. What the heck?

I don’t want to keep you,” Major Chatham said.

I texted my mom and told her I’d be late, Sir. Do you need any help around here?”

I don’t want anyone thinking I’m getting special treatment from the CO,”

No problem, Sir. I’m in band along with Pat. I just want to help out a fellow musician.”

Uh huh,” It was that same doubtful, almost knowing response that he had given his son.

Pat still has to work on her room. She’d probably appreciate your help.”

Sir?”

The man indicated the way into the kitchen behind him and stepped in. Darryl followed.

Shelly and I know know about our son, or rather, daughter. She’s just got to figure it out for herself.”

Dad?”

Mike Chatham looked around Darryl and saw Pat standing there, looking confused.

Uh, I should be getting home,” Darryl said glancing at his watch. “It’s later than I thought it was.” With that he was headed out the door. He stopped for a moment, then rertrieved a post-it note pad and pen from his gig bag pocket, and quickly scrawled something on it. He handed it to Pat, who quickly read it and put it in his pocket. Darryl was out the door with a quick “Bye, Pat. Sir.”

Very polite young man, don’t you think?” Mike asked Pat.

When Pat didn’t respond, he said, “What did the note say?”

Just his name and phone number.”

Can I see it?” Darryl had written a bit longer than just his name and number.

Do you have to?”

No.” Mike said gently.

Again, Pat was confused.

His dad motioned for his son to follow him, and they walked into the living room where his mom was busy getting unpacking. There was a playpen in the corner and a baby in a pink sleeper was out like a light.

Mike took a look at the baby, then said quietly, “I think the three of us need to talk, Shelly.”

-=#=-

Darryl walked quickly up the street. It was later in the day now, and the sky was clear. It could conceivably get down to minus forty or fifty below. Even colder if it was really angry. There wasn’t a lot of snow on the ground yet. That would be coming soon, he knew.

What’s going on?” Shelly asked her husband.

As he walked, Darryl was trying to figure out what Major Chatham had said to him. Pat had said his parents didn’t know about him – her. He wasn’t sure which pronoun to use at the moment. What the hell, he figured. Pat is a girl. Plain and simple. And, according to HER, she wanted to be one.

Another band member, Darryl, the CO’s son, walked Pat home from school.

So what was going on? HER parents knew?

So did he know that Pat is a boy?

He walked by the high school, and on another couple of blocks till he came to his own house. He hadn’t told Pat that he lived the other direction. He wanted to walk her home. He didn’t realize that Pat was so young, but what the hell. In a couple of years, that wouldn’t matter at all.

No Shelly. He knew that Pat is a girl.”

Darryl walked into his house, calling, “I’m home!”

Didn’t you tell him you’re a boy, Pat?”

Who was she?” his mom asked.

Darryl thought for a moment, then said. “I told him, then he said that I acted like a girl.”

She’s the daughter of Major Chatham. She’s like Margot.”

Chapter 2

How did he take it when you said you were a boy?” Shelly asked Pat.

He didn’t even react, Mom. He just said it was too bad I was a boy. That everything about me said I was a girl.”

What did you think about that?” his dad asked.

This was the moment that Pat had feared for a long time. Whether to tell his parents about himself or not. He had known for a long time. He couldn’t exactly remember when he figured it out. It was like he had always known.

He always played with the neighborhood girls, but when his grandparents visited, his grandma said he shouldn’t do that. That he was a boy.

He was smart, and even for his age, he understood exactly what his grandma had said.

Mom,” Shelly said. “He’s only three.”

But he’ll get confused,” Grandma countered.

Not yet.”

Yes. you’ve got to get him playing with boys now. Not later. He needs to know now, that he’s not to play with dolls.”

All kids play with dolls, Mom.”

They do not,” her mother said, aghast at the thought.

What do you think action figures are?”

Boy’s toys.”

Boy’s dolls,” Shelly argued.

The key word is boy’s.

When her mother and father left, Shelly thought that maybe she had been right. Mike really didn’t understand kids very much. We was masculine as the day was long. He had never played with the girls. He played with trucks, and most importantly, toy airplanes.

You probably understand this more,” he told his wife.

A few years later, when Pat was eight, Mike had been watching his son curiously. He had seen exactly what Darryl had seen. A younger version of it, to be sure, but his son was not acting normal. Not for a boy, anyway. For a little girl, perhaps. He decided to ask Shelly what she thought.

Yes, I’ve been noticing. He won’t play with the boys in the neighborhood. I’ve tried to follow Mom’s direction. I’ve even talked to her about it. She says I’ve got to be more strict.”

Have you tried that?”

For a few days, yes. I kept him in, away from the girls. I heard him playing with his action figures. They were babies! He was treating them just the way a girl would treat a dolly.”

Why didn’t you tell me?”

I didn’t want to upset you. You’re up there in the sky, flying that plane! I didn’t want you worrying about your son.”

Honey,” he said, taking Shelly in his arms. “We raise Pat together. I need to know what’s going on too. Don’t worry about me. When I’m up there, I put everything out of my mind, except what I”m doing.”

Immediately, Mike started trying to interest Pat in sports, not to drive away the girl that he knew was there, but to help the boy not be looked on as a pariah.

Pat couldn’t figure sports, though. She simply didn’t understand them. She also wasn’t able to act like a boy.

Mike doubled his efforts. His daughter was extremely smart, and was placed two grades ahead of her peers when they were at Lewis-McChord. Mike and Shelly wouldn’t have allowed it, but they didn’t want Pat to be bored.

Nothing Mike could do would get Pat interested in a boy’s activities. They almost had her put back in her own grade, but couldn’t bring themselves to do it. They discussed having her enrolled as a girl in Eielson, but didn’t think she realized she was trans yet. She had never mentioned it.

Pat, however, never liked her grandmother after she said she was a boy and shouldn’t be allowed to play with girls. She hated the fact that her grandma died, but there was another part of her that said, good.

In her mind, her name was Tricia, but she didn’t dare tell her parents.

Her dad had tried to get her interested in sports, and she had tried to understand. She couldn’t figure any of them out, though. Oh, she understood how they worked. She had memorized the rules, but to actually play? It was almost impossible.

She was constantly picked on, and bullied. Never anything physical, or it would have been reported. Her mom tried talking to the principal about it, but he said, being that Pat was going to be treated that way, no matter what anyone did. Boys would be boys.

She had no problem with the girls, although they didn’t understand the little boy who acted like one of them. They neither picked on her, nor did they encourage her participation in their activities. To them, she was a nobody.

Everyone at this new school had assumed she was just a late bloomer, but a girl. She had taken to androgynous clothes, to try to get the kids at Lewis-McChord to back off. It didn’t work there, but here she could have a fresh start if the kids would just assume.

She almost told Trish that she was a boy. It was so scary being thought of as a girl. What if kids found out?

Then, Darryl walked her home. On one level, she was thrilled. On another, she was scared to death. When it was clear that he was interested in her, she had to tell him the truth. He would find out one way or another, so she did.

He didn’t seem to care! Now what? He had even given her his number and said, call him if she needed anything. He had underlined anything three times!

She mustered all of her courage. “I am a girl.”

Her dad smiled. “We know that. We were letting you figure it out on your own.”

How long have you known, Pat?” Shelly asked.

I’ve always known, Mom. I hated Grandma for saying it was wrong for me to play with the other girls.”

She thought about it for a moment, then asked her parents, “Can you call me Tricia, please?”

Of course,” her dad answered. “We’d be happy to.”

I’m so sorry, Dad. I know you tried to get me interested in sports. It just seemed so wrong to me.”

Hey,” Mike said. “That isn’t a problem at all. I wasn’t trying to make you masculine. Well, not because I didn’t want a daughter. I was trying to give you something the boys would respect.”

They talked late into the night, and finally, Tricia went to bed. It was one in the morning. Before she went to sleep, however, she took the paper out of her pocket and sent a text.

They knew! Monday, Mom is coming to the school with me and telling them that I’m trans!

Oh, my name is Tricia!

Chapter 3

Darryl and his parents had talked late into the night as well.

His sister had been born with male genitalia. She had been named Mark, but during high school, she had become Margot. She was also ahead in school, like Pat, but only by a year. She was three years older than Darryl and graduated at the end of last year. Now, she was attending college at the university in Fairbanks. She came home most weekends, but this being her first one back at school since the Christmas holidays, she had decided to stay with her friends. Darryl wondered if she was intending to party, but decided against bringing it up to his folks.

It was nearly 10 AM when Darryl got up. He had sent Tricia a congratulations text the night before and asked if she wanted help unpacking.

A little after 10, his phone rang. He recognized the number as belonging to Tricia, so he answered it. “Hi.”

“Darryl, I can’t believe it! My mom is taking me to the BX to get some new clothes! Can you believe it?”

Wow, Darryl thought. Just like Margot when she came out. A totally different person. “That’s great! Do you still want me to come over and help unpack?”

“Oh,” Tricia said, sounding considerable less enthusiastic. “I forgot about that.”

“Hey, it’s not a problem. What time will you be back?”

“I’m not sure. We have to get me a whole new wardrobe.”

He nodded. Exactly like Margot. He chuckled. “I’ll tell you what. Give me a call when you’re back, and I’ll come over and help you then, okay?”

Suddenly, Tricia was ebullient again, as if a light switch had been flipped on. He was happy to hear it. She was a totally different person. “You’ve got a date!” she enthused. “Um, I mean...”

Once more, he chuckled. “I understand. No need to worry.”

“Oh...” She sounded a bit upset at theat.

“Unless you want me to,” he added.

Now she was completely caught off guard. “Uh… I’m not sure. I’m only 13.”

“Don’t worry. I only want to help. Right now,” There was something about her that said they could become very good friends later, and he didn’t want to blow his chances early.

“Alright.”

“I’ll talk to you later, okay?”

“Sure!” She was bubbly again.

“I’m sure your dad isn’t going.”

“Well, he was going to, but Mom said this is our time together, and besides. He’d be bored,” she said giggling.

“I can see that.”

They said goodbye, an Tricia started going through some boxes, trying to find her most girly, but androgynous clothes. She sighed. There wasn’t much to choose from. She’d been very careful as Pat.

Darryl waited about an hour, then started toward the Chatham house. He was pleased to see that their car was gone. He knocked on the door, and a few minutes it was opened by the Major.

“Sorry, Darryl. Tricia, or rather Pat, isn’t here.”

“I know, Sir. She called me this morning, and told me she was Tricia now. She sounded so different.”

Mike chuckled. “Come on in, Darryl. It’s really cold outside.”

“Thank you, Sir.

As they moved into the living room, Darryl took stock. There was still a lot to do. He was mildly surprised to see a baby in a playpen in one corner of the room.

She was getting fussy, so Mike picked her up. “This is Amber. She’s about three months old now.”

“I like babies,” Darryl said. “I’m kinda sorry my sister can’t have any. I’d like to be an uncle.”

Mike wondered if Darryl was trying to get on his good side, but he was still focused on the baby, and there was an honest smile on his face.

“Your sister can’t have kids?”

Darryl gulped. He hadn’t intended to say anything that might lead Major Chatham to know that he was interested in his daughter. He decided that honesty was the best. “No, Sir.” he said, “She’s like Tricia.”

“You mean...”

“She’ll be having her surgery after she turns eighteen.”

“I had no idea.”

“Dad doesn’t talk about it, although it was kinda apparent to everyone on base when Mark became Margot.”

Mike nodded.

“So if you knew Tricia wasn’t here right now, how come you came over? Wanting to talk to me about asking her out?” His eyes were twinkling as he said it.

Darryl laughed. “No, sir, although now that you mention it… “ He let the implication be, but explained. “I have to admit. She’s a great girl, and I am interested, but I came over to see if you needed any help setting anything up. Unpacking. Anything.”

“You’re trying to impress her,” Mike laughed.

“I don’t see any reason to let someone else grab her first. If you’ll forgive me, Sir, I’d like first dibs.”

Mike laughed out loud, to which his younger daughter giggled. “When you make a decision, you make it, don’t you.”

“I think I got that from my Dad, Sir.”

“I’ll tell you what, You drop the Sir, and I’ll approve you having first dibs, but the ultimate decision will be hers, deal?”

Deal.” After the Major gave Amber a bottle, Darryl held her for a few minutes while Mike got the stuff to change her with, and then they got to work.

They assembled the dining room table, then arranged the furniture in the living room. There was an L shaped couch with separate reclining ends that was much easier to put together with two people.

Because of military housing, pictures were hung on the wall with putty instead of nails. Mike had paid particular attention to Shelly when she decided where things should go, and what pictures should be hung where.

Darryl had watched his father and how he treated his wife. It seemed to be different than how the major did it, but he suspected that Shelly was a bit different, and would need a different love language. He wanted to ask the major if he had any say in where things went, but he figured that was just how he was. He did take note of the careful attention to even the littlest details. When the end tables were placed and lamps put on them, the lace doilies under the lamps were carefully set.

Mark was surprised that the furniture hadn’t been placed by Allied. Usually they were really good about that.

Me was also surprised when they moved an antique console stereo into the living room. “This is really nice,” he said, and was honestly impressed.

I’ll show you what I did,” Mike told him. He opened the front where the old black and white TV was, and Darryl was surprised to see a flat screen mounted inside. Mike plugged it in, and put a record on the turntable. The music was the theme to The Magnificent Seven. The music was beautiful coming out of the console speakers. While he listened, Mike set some surround sound speakers on stands and arranged them around the living room. He plugged the speakers into the back of the console. then, he opened a door on the top, behind the flat screen. He pushed a couple of buttons and the music changed to the surround speakers.

The sound was excellent, but Darryl found that it had changed. The subtle sounds were replaced by the crisp clean sounds of a new setup.

Honestly, I think it sounds better the other way.”

Me too. That’s why I left the tubed amp inside. It’s not surround, but these old records, and in my opinion the CDs sound much nicer on it.”

The sound is mellow.”

The bass is, but let me show you something.”

He carefully lifted the tonearm, and put a CD into the blue-ray player installed in the hidden compartment. It was the same song. He turned up the volume and hit play. The violins at the beginning was extremely crisp, almost to the point of painful. The bass was also. He could hear the pizzicato strings better, but somehow it just didn’t sound right. He didn’t understand it.

Most people when they hear music like this on a tube amplifier find it more soothing. If you put romantic music on this and put it on softly...” He stopped, and Darryl saw the, by now familiar twinkle. “Maybe I shouldn’t be telling you this.”

It’s alright, Mike. I’ll file that for later.”

Both of them laughed, then went into the nursery and worked on it. After that, they entered Tricia’s room.

I’m not sure what to do in here,” Mike told Darryl. “Of course, we can get her bed set up, and dresser. Decorations, however. Well, I have a feeling they’ll be changing pretty soon.”

Darryl wasn’t surprised in the least by the dresser that was they brought in from the garage. It was an antique painted lavender. Her desk was actually a vanity, also the lavender.

We got these from Shelly’s dad, when her mother died. I know Tricia didn’t like her very much, as she was set on her being a boy, but in reality, they had very similar tastes.” He laughed. “When we got them, I offered to paint them a different color, but she said, ‘We can do that later. You have too much other things to do.’ I do a lot of woodwork, as you can see. I have a paint sprayer. It wouldn’t have taken more than a few hours to do. She just likes the color.”

Darryl laughed. “Does he know about Tricia?’

Yeah. He didn’t like the interference. I think he gave these to Tricia as a way to apologize. I suppose Shelly’s mom would be rolling in her grave if she knew.”

So he approves?”

I don’t know if he approves, but I know he accepts it.”

They heard the front door open, and Tricia’s excited voice. Suddenly, “Mom! You’ve gotta see this! Daddy got the living room finished!”

Mike finished tightening the last bolt on the soon to be lavender bed, and they went out to the living room.

Shelly’s eyes were bright as she looked around. “Mike! She enthused it’s amazing!”

I had a lot of good help,” he said.

Darryl!” Tricia said running up to him. She stopped just short of giving him a hug, and Darryl was somewhat disappointed. He had thought Pat was pretty, but this new Tricia was so exuberant. She was a marvel as far as he was concerned.

Daddy, I’ve got to show you some things,” she said, but here eyes were happy as she looked at Darryl.

She ran into her room and squealed with joy when she saw her furniture set up.

Think she liked what we did?” Mike asked Darryl.

That seems like a reasonable assumption,” Darryl replied.

Yeah. I think I know what her decision I spoke of earlier will be.”

What decision is that?” Shelly asked.

Well,” Mike started. He didn’t know how his wife would react, but Darryl jumped in with both feet.

I’d like first dibs on dating your daughter.”

Oh,” was all Shelly could think of to say.



Author’s note: This story was originally going to be a solo, but it kept growing, and growing. Finally, it has become a multi part story. I’m not sure how many parts it will be, but It is certainly not done. I suppose the length will depend on the number of Kudos and comments this gets.
up
303 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Good Start

I particularly like having some military types that aren't macho caricatures. I'll be waiting for more.

My dad was in the Air Force.

Rose's picture

My dad was in the Air Force. He was never a Macho guy. 1F601.png I like sensitive guys... In stories, I mean. Well, I suppose not just in stories. 1F602.png

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

My dad was Air Force too

And he was also a little on the sensitive side.

Bomber pilot, based in Italy toward the end of WW II. He and his crew always cheered and relaxed when a squadron of red tails showed up to be their escort over Germany.

I was lucky. I got to go around the world twice. First as the teenage kid of an oil company exec. Libya and Italy, plus some vacations. Later as a twenty-something in the Air Force myself. Thailand and Guam plus some state-side posts. Met a lot of people.

Living somewhere is a LOT different than going there on vacation for a week or three.

You get to know the people you meet. And that gives you a totally different perspective on them and their world. I hope I gave as good as I got, because I got a lot.

And if you pay any attention at all, you soon realize that people are people.

Civilian or military
Boy or girl
My race or some other race

Wherever I went, and had the time to know them, the people turned out to be people.

Some are great, a few suck, but most of them are in that nice OK middle area.

***

Any way, this is a great story Rose and you are telling it with great skill. I'm looking forward to the next episodes.

T

Mine was in the army

WillowD's picture

A US army officer, to be more specific. And my Dad never struck me as a macho guy either. Mind you, I only saw him on occasional visits so I may just not have known him well enough. He had strong opinions on politics. Probably still does. But I've never seen him treat anybody differently based wealth, education, gender, race, religion, sports, etc. He's an awesome guy.

More!

Glenda98's picture

I would love to read more, I like the musical angle but don’t get me started on transistor versus tube!

Glenda Ericsson

I had an old Harmon Kardon

Rose's picture

I had an old Harmon Kardon tubed amp when I was in college. That thing was so powerful it could shake the dorms. I had a friend who also had one. He was at the other end of the hall, and we would have stereo wars.

Those old console stereos, had such a nice sound, in my opinion. Even when I had a rack stereo with a digital amp, I never liked the sound as much as my console. Or my Harmon Kardon.

When I was in Band, in the 7th grade, I was in the 8th grade band class because I had started 2 years earlier than the other kids. We played Michelle Eleonore Rigby in a cabaret. For the last couple of days I've had the theme to The Magnificent Seven going through m mind. I think it's one of the most beautiful symphonic pieces ever written. I love the rhythms. All the syncopation.

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

I just listened

Pamreed's picture

I just listened to The Magnificent Seven Theme. It was just as moving as when I first saw the movie. I guess I love it when
the good guys win against bad odds!!! It is one of my favorite movies of all time. Thanks Rose for bringing it back for me!! :-)

Transistor versus tube versus digital

WillowD's picture

I honestly don't know if any of the sound systems I have use tube amplifiers. I have a stereo system I bought in the 80's and later retired. I replaced it with a better stereo system with surround sound. And then my Dad gave me two of his retired home theater sound systems that I haven't gotten around to using yet. And I'm REALLY glad I kept those.

Because something I learned later on is that the older systems sound better. This is because as more and more licensed digital systems were added like Dolby, THX, HDMI, etc the manufacturers started to spend more money on licenses and less on the actual amp. Because of this, you get much better sound if you feed your fancy digital sound source through analog wires into an older amp that doesn't have digital features. Consumers with loads of money to spend thought they would get better sound from amps with all of these digital features but they don't because the actual amplifier generating the sound is nowhere near as good.

If you happen to have several stereo vacuum tube amplifier systems you could always use them as the amplifiers in a surround sound system. There is no reason why you can't combine the best of both worlds.

Warmth

Hi Rose

I like the way this story has started! I am looking forward to seeing how it unfolds.

Your comments about the sound system are correct, the tube type amplifiers have a much better sound than the transistorized ones. The tubes give a warmer sound, better blending it seems to me. Of course sound/voice/music are analog signals so when they are reproduced on older analog equipment (records/tape) they sound better than they do on digital equipment (CDs/MP3). Not trying to start a debate - there are advantages and disadvantages to both.

Thank you for sharing this story.

Jeri Elaine

Homonyms, synonyms, heterographs, contractions, slang, colloquialisms, clichés, spoonerisms, and plain old misspellings are the bane of writers, but the art and magic of the story is in the telling not in the spelling.

Thank you. It's nice to hear

Rose's picture

Thank you. It's nice to hear other people talk about the old tube systems. When I was a kid, my parents had a beautiful console stereo, with tubes. I attained one many years later, but it was transistorized.

I think one of the huge assets of console stereos also lies in the size of the speaker enclosures. It's the inside of those cabinets, so the resonance is beautiful.

I once had the opportunity to play my trumpet when I was a travelling sound tech in a hardwood cathedral, with the high, arched roof. The resonance of that was incredible. I deliberately slowed the song down, so the reverb had time to be heard. It was astonishing how alive that sanctuary was! I loved it.

My favorite, however, was when I was at college, our entire school sang the Hallelujah Chorus. Me and 3 other trumpet players were in the balcony, behind the audience. We had to time it so the resonance from our horns hit the audience at the same time as the choir. It was a challenge but well worth it.

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

It is hard to not compare

Beoca's picture

It is hard to not compare this to Amadeus Irina. Multi-POV narration - though approached quite differently - and a protagonist who has a passion for classical instrumental music. It's a type of character that fits naturally for TG literature, I suppose. And being a musician myself, it tends to make for a story that I find more interesting than usual. So keep up the good writing, because I intend to keep reading.

Reserving judgement on the line by line swapping of POVs for now.

Well, thank you. I

Rose's picture

Well, thank you. I appreciate it very much!

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

My first thought, too... ;)

When I first started reading, I was hit with thoughts of Day and her issues. After reading, though, it was clear this is a different animal. :D

As for the narration, it is different than mine with it being interspersed the way it is. It will take a bit to get used to it (the same as it did for mine, I am sure). Good luck with the writing, Rose--it is a challenge (at least it was for me when I started)--it is easy to get the lines mixed up! LOL

I am certainly looking forward to reading more of this story!

HUGS!
Shauna

I did the same thing

Rose's picture

I did the same thing (Alternating POV) in another story I was writing, a non-transgender fanfic. The 4th book of the Iconia series that I have placed links to in my lineup here.

Unfortunately, Disney kept changing canon for Star Wars on my son and me, not that it would have been a difficult thing since it was an alternate universe, but the characters kept changing so much.

If you looked at the 4th book (the Hope of Iconia) you would find an alternating POV in that as Padme is killed while Anakin is with Palpatine. Palpatine is being chummy with Anakin, while his minions are killing Padme. I wanted to show the two together, almost like a split screen. Rather than different colors there, the killing of Padme was with no dialogue. Just a narration in italics. I think that one turned out very well.

In this, when I interspersed the narration, I wanted the text from Tricia at the end the day, but I didn't want to have to back up to get there.

Thanks for the words of encouragement!

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

I like

The way you made that her parents realized she was trans even before she did. It is off to a great start. please continue.

Kymmie

Her parents are pretty decent

Rose's picture

Her parents are pretty decent people.

We really haven't seen much of Darryl's parents. It seems like they are as well, although Darryl did note some differences between his parents and Tricia's.

But, that is probably just a difference in style. What works for some people might not work for others.

Looking at the way Darryl is, it would seem that good parents have raised him.

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

Keep up ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... the good work. I see at least two new friends for Tricia to make, Trish from band and Margot. There's probably a bad guy/gal to be introduced, too. Irregardless of gender issues, there'll probably be some adjustment problems to being two years younger than her classmates. Looking forward to more.

BE a lady!

That is quite likely. Right

Rose's picture

That is quite likely. Right now, it seems like everything is going very well for her. Will it continue?

Is her life just fairy tales and roses? (Pun intended.)

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

I was Army.

Spent some time at Richardson, and then Wainwright. Eielson was just down the road. The Army always seemed to feel like i was too mild.

I wish this could be true. It is a lovely story. I hope there is lots more.

Gwen

My dad was at Elmendorf. I

Rose's picture

My dad was at Elmendorf. I lived in Eagle River. If you've read my story, Aurora, the landscape there is from my memories as a kid in the '70s.

My Uncle Tom was stationed at Eielson when we were at Elmendorf. We spent a lot of Christmases driving the Glenn Highway to Fairbanks and back a couple of days later.

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

very nice

if it only was always that easy ...

DogSig.png

True. I'm hoping she doesn't

Rose's picture

True. I'm hoping she doesn't run into too much trouble at school.

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

So far, so good.

Rose's picture

So far, so good. 1F601.png

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

Nice Start!

BobbieCD56's picture

I really like the tone and pacing of this one so far. I think it has the potential to be a really touching and warm story. That does not mean there won't be rough spots for the protagonist and company, that is part of life for most of us. Keep it up, will definitely be watching for more!

I'm playing catch-up here

laika's picture

I guess I should've read this before I started ARCTIC FOX. I had a sneaking suspicion I'd walked in on the middle of a movie (like when Maj. Chatham had that gnarly emergency landing in his plane but it didn't say what KIND of plane it was, which mattered to me because jet fuel is even more volatile than gasoline + therefore scarier to have to do that).

So I'm glad for this story, also because it gives us more time with Tricia and fills us in on the backstory to the frontstory. How she knew she was a girl and her parents knew she was a girl but each didn't know the others knew, so it was sweet when they all got on the same page with Darryl being all gallant and boyfriendly. And Mom and the Major are to be commended for not rushing to put their expectations on her; gender expression doesn't always correspond perfectly with gender identity + some kids are fine with just being a very girly boy.

I don't know about no tube amps and stereos, only when my parents had one it made funny scratching noises because the tube's prongy plug-thingies (i believe is the the technical term) didn't get cleaned with tuner wash and there was a background hum. And regarding Beatles songs and bands, I always thought ACROSS THE UNIVERSE would make a great song for a high school band if it was sped up and arranged like a JP Sousa march with the drummers (Dunt-da-dunt-da-dunt-da-da!) accentuating the beat; changing the whole mood of the song from dreamy melancholy to exuberant.
~hugs; On to PT2 + then back to yr new story. Veronica

Thank you for coming back and

Rose's picture

Thank you for coming back and reading The New Kid. I had a lot of fun writing these. I just thought I couldn't keep calling it "The New Kid" when it kept going. It was originally supposed to be a solo, but I got into it, and couldn't stop.

1F601.png

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

Will the truth cause problems?

Jamie Lee's picture

Pat being the new kid in school becomes the one other students wonder about. Who is he, or she? What kind of a person is Pat? What does he like to do? Is he into sports?

Most of the students grew up together, went through school together, so know each other in some way. Now a new kid is thrown into the mix and the mystery must be unraveled.

Pat may confuse others because he doesn't act like other boys, at least that's Darryl's observation. And he's right, Tricia isn't like other boys.

How accepting will the other students be with a boy that's TG and will be coming to school presenting as a girl? Since Pat is an unknown, if it's discovered Tricia is physically male might some students decide to take action against her?

Others have feelings too.

Actually, i'm taking a bit of

Rose's picture

Actually, i'm taking a bit of license here. If these schools are on exclusively military kids, then they probably have moved at least every 3 or 4 years.

Having Darryl and Chet there for as long as they have been probably wouldn't work in real life.

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

*cheering*

I was practically dancing in my chair when I saw how supportive both of Tricia's parents are. Darryl really seems sweet too. I know not everything can be expected to go perfectly when Tricia starts going to school as a girl, but knowing she gots folks to support her makes the future for her feel more hopeful. Thanks for sharing this beautiful story!

Thank you!!! This is

Rose's picture

Thank you!!! This is definitely one of the most fun stories I've written. There are definitely parts that are not terribly happy, but all in all, I think she's got a lot of what it takes to overcome the negative.

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

I like this story

Pamreed's picture

I like reading stories where the parents are supportive, mine were not!! Of course I tried to tell them when I was 5 in 1952.
But my Mom accepted me when I transitioned in 1998. My Dad was not alive at that time. I hope or a long story with many
good things happening to Tricia.

Thank you. Lots of good

Rose's picture

Thank you. Lots of good things, but a lot of ups and downs as well.

Even with supportive parents, that seems to be the way things are, even without people involved.

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary