One Sunday Morning

Printer-friendly version
Small Church.jpg This story has some Christian stuff at the end. If this will offend you, please read something else.

Grant drove.

He spent Christmas with his folks in Scottsbluff, Nebraska, but now he had to get back to his job in St. Louis, Missouri. He had plenty of time, as it was Friday, and he didn’t start work until Monday. He figured he could just enjoy the drive. He would go to Omaha, then drop down through Council Bluffs to Kansas City, then cross Missouri to St. Louis.

Most of the trip would be on interstates, but for now, he was on US Hwy 26, a small, two-lane highway that went through some of the backwoods, or rather, prairies of Nebraska.

As he traveled, he thought about his situation. His parents understood, and surprisingly, didn’t mind the fact that he was transgender. In fact, they had suggested her name. Garnet. Grant could be used as a girls name but hadn’t been at all popular for many years.

When Grant had graduated from high school, he went to Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences, receiving his doctorate by the time he was twenty-nine. From there, he had moved on to St. Louis and practiced medicine in a large hospital.

He had hoped that he could eventually come out as trans and live and practice as Garnet, but the hospital administrator was not at all sympathetic to trans people. Grant had watched as a friend, Jill, came out and was dismissed just six weeks later.

Jill was a very competent PA, but that didn’t matter to the administration. They looked for any mistake she made and then used that as a reason to dismiss her. They made sure there was a prominent black mark in her records as well, and as a result, she couldn’t find work anywhere. She had even tried to set up a private practice in a small town in Oklahoma, to no avail.

Because of that, Grant had decided not to make Garnet’s existence known to the hospital. He kept in touch with Jill and found that she worked as a checker in a pharmacy in Joplin. He wished he could help her, but he had no pull, and any fight he started with the hospital would simply end in his own professional demise.

His father was a doctor, and his partner had just quit, so the partnership was offered to Grant. Or rather, to Garnet.

This is a rural area, Dad. They wouldn’t accept Garnet as a doctor.”

I think you’re wrong, Grant. Times are changing. They might not be happy initially, but they’ll come to know you.”

Yeah, and the guys will all think I’m gay, and just looking for a date, and if I specialize in women’s care, they’ll think I’m some kind of pervert and just wanting to see their intimates.”

Grant. Are you going to tell them who you are? I’m not. Do you want to spend the rest of your life as Grant?”

You think they won’t realize who I am? A lot of people will remember me.”

Look. Garnet. Maybe they will, but it will take a while. By that time, you’ll have established yourself as a competent doctor.”

Uh, huh. I’m not buying it, Dad.”

I’ve got a lot of resume’s here already, Sweetheart. Yours is on the top.”

I’ve never given you one, Daddy.”

I don’t need one from you.”

The young man – No, woman, left the next day with a heavy heart. She knew her parents would do anything they could to help her, but it was such a scary proposition. She wished she could take the position.

She continued to drive, thinking about her situation all day Saturday as well. She decided to stay off the main roads, and on Sunday morning, she was near Ottumwa, Iowa, the hometown of the fictional Radar O’Reilly, from M*A*S*H. She saw a small church and stopped. Several cars were surrounding it, so she knew that the service was on. She parked and looked in the rear-view mirror at her face. The face of Grant looked back at her. She felt the tears starting and dried her eyes roughly.

She got out of the car, slammed the door, and went in. Sitting beside the door was an usher, who shook her hand and gave her a bulletin. The congregation was quite small, and she sat down in a vacant back pew. There were only about twenty people there in total. It was indeed a rural church.

She hardly heard the service, but when it was over, several people introduced themselves to him and thanked him for stopping by.

The minister finally stopped by the pew where she was sitting. Garnet had barely acknowledged the people who came by, but no one pushed it. It was apparent that the young man was hurting.

The minister sat down in the pew in front of Garnet and held out a hand. “I’m Gordon Fuller. I’m the pastor here, as you probably saw.” He seemed to be a nice man, and his eyes twinkled at his little joke.

Garnet didn’t say anything.

And you are?” Pastor Fuller asked, still holding out his hand.

Grant. Grant Hohlmann,” he said uncertainly.

You seem to be troubled, Grant. May I call you Grant?”

I s’pose. I...” Grant’s voice trailed off.

Is there something you’d rather I call you?”

Garnet thought for awhile. She was very unlikely ever to see this man again, and as long as she didn’t say where she worked, it should be okay. “G...” She tried again. “Garnet.”

I see,” said the minister. “You’re trans-gendered?”

Yes.”

Care to tell me what’s got you troubled?”

She started slowly and cautiously, but as she continued, the story began to spill out, as if a dam had broken. She cried, long and hard, and the Fuller moved to beside her. A moment later, a woman was seated on the other side, and between the two, they let Garnet cry until she couldn’t shed another tear.

Garnet,” said the woman. “I’m Gord’s wife, Jen. Would you like to have dinner with us?”

I don’t want to be an imposition,” Garnet replied. “Besides, I should get back on the road. I have to be at work tomorrow morning.”

It’s not an imposition, Dear. In fact, I’d love to talk to you more. I understand you’re hurting, and it pains me to see the depth of that.”

You probably both see me as some terrible sinner,” the young doctor said.

You’re no more or less a sinner than either of us. We all sin, but I don’t think wanting to be yourself is a sin.”

Just becoming myself is.”

The minister laughed. “I don’t see that either. You’re a doctor. You know that there are medical reasons for this. Is God so unloving that he would make you a certain way, then when you wanted to be that way, tell you no? That’s like taunting someone. God doesn’t do that to anyone.”

But my boss does. I just wish I knew what to do.”

It looks to me, young lady, that God has provided that answer. You just have to accept it.”

Garnet smiled at the minister and his wife. “Thank you,” she said.

You’re welcome. Now, why don’t you come to our place for dinner? Jen makes a great pot roast, and I can guarantee her cornbread will melt in your mouth. Not to mention apple pie.”

Garnet smiled again. “Can I change first?”


Please don't forget to comment and leave kudos!
up
159 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

St. Louis loses another good doctor due to their stupidity

laika's picture

I hope Garnet offers her resignation in person, telling the administrator sweetly, "I realize you probably can't help being the way you are but I just can't approve of your abberant and immoral transphobic lifestyle. But I wish you well and I'll continue to pray for you, that you can change..."

Yeah I know, that's pretty snotty and they probably wouldn't even get the joke,
that she's throwing their own ignorant kind of talk back at them;
But I'm petty like that...
~hugs, Veronica

I can understand where you're

Rose's picture

I can understand where you're coming from. I've dealt with people like that for a long time. And, that's what I do. Continue to pray that they understand where I'm coming from.

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

The sincerity factor

laika's picture

Yeah but you mean it, and I don't think either you or your doctor character would weaponize an offer to pray for someone like that, hiding an insult in words of compassion, like that horrible Bajoran religious leader Kai Winn in Deep Space 9 (which I'm rewatching again for some reason...)

I'm certainly not perfect.

Rose's picture

I'm certainly not perfect. There are times where I wish horrible things on others.

1F601.png

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

A preacher like that

could have made a difference in my life. Instead I got several of the other kind and have been an atheist for several decades. I'm satisfied by my decision, but do know that people need different thing s to be happy.

Yes. Please don't judge us

Rose's picture

Yes. Please don't judge us all by a few bad apples, however. I've been a minister for over 30 years. Not a preacher, but a minister. There's a huge difference. My goal in life is to help people in whatever way I can. Ultimately, I want to "Go ye therefore," but for people in our situation, I want to help the church stop driving them away. It's a fine line, but it can be done.

1F64F-1F3FB.png

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

A Helpful Pastor

Daphne Xu's picture

At least, on her way home, she met a helpful pastor. I think that it depends more on the individual pastor than on anything else. Is Jill happy where she works? Maybe if Garnet joins Dad, she could help Jill out.

I inserted religion in my story, "A Bikini Beach Summer", and it became a plot tumor. The side story "Grandpa Takes Beth to Bikini Beach" featured religion front and center. Although it's not in the story, one could argue that God worked in His own mysterious way to save Beth. In any case, only a couple commenters questioned the presence of religion in either story.

-- Daphne Xu

I like saying at the

Rose's picture

I like saying at the beginning. I don't want someone getting halfway through and being put off because of the way I wrote the story.

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

Had I continued the story to

Rose's picture

Had I continued the story to Garnet getting back to Scottsbluff she would have found that they could really use an extra doctor. So even though the story didn't continue, rest assured Jill was helped as well.

1F601.png

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

That's Good.

Daphne Xu's picture

"Jill was helped as well."

-- Daphne Xu

Garnet

Thank you Rose
That was a nice story. I just wish that there were more people like Gordon and Jen. There are so many fearful and judgemental people in this world

The difference between religion and faith.

I'm glad that Garnet stumbled into a ministry of the latter, rather than the former.

Too many people use the bible to justify acts of terror and hatred: most often, those people have never actually read a single word of the book itself, and most certainly nothing in the second half.

It's been many years since I last read the Bible. I don't consider myself a Christian . . . but perhaps it's time I read it again.

Melanie E.

Thank you, Ras. Although I

Rose's picture

Thank you, Ras. Although I've been a minister since I was in my teens, I hate religion. As you said there is a difference. Religion is usually recognizable by dogma guiding it. A relationship with God is an entirely different thing.

1F64F-1F3FB.png

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

Bible Reading

Daphne Xu's picture

It's often a good idea often to wait a while before reading passages of the Bible, if one is accustomed to reading them. One may read it for what it says, rather than having it censored by information filters. This site (https://sites.google.com/site/yahwehelohiym/introduction/the...) calls them theological filters. In fact, translators sometimes translated through information filters, resulting in mistranslations.

Interesting factoid: an ancient Greek (Cretean?) logical puzzle or joke, handed down through the generations, was slipped into the Bible -- specifically, Paul's letter to Titus. Titus 1:12 (NIV): One of Crete's own prophets has said it: "Cretans are always liars, evil brutes, lazy glutons."

The puzzle: A Cretean tells someone, "All Creteans always lie." Can he be telling the truth?

-- Daphne Xu

Lovely story Rose

Reading it has given me an idea how to write a scene in one of my stories. It is strange how our can brains work on many different things at the same time.
Thanks.
Samantha

Wonderful! I'm glad to hear

Rose's picture

Wonderful! I'm glad to hear that. Glad I could help!

1F917.png

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

Understanding

A lovely story of human understanding and love for others by the pastor and his wife.

Best wishes Rose.

Brit

Thank you! I debated saying

Rose's picture

Thank you! I debated saying that the pastor and his wife had a trans-daughter but I thought it was more powerful this way.

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

Agreed

Agreed. It is far more powerful as written and adding any reference to a personal situation would have lost a lot of the resonance of the pastor's and his wife's acceptance and understanding.

Brit

Worthwhile

Definitely a worthwhile read. Thanks; I needed to be reminded just now.

You're very welcome. I'm

Rose's picture

You're very welcome. I'm glad it reminded you. As long as it's a good remembrance.

1F601.png

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

Country people can be surprising...

I'm a pastor who has seen some judgment that can get ugly, but more often than not, they try to accept and understand first. Like here, it is the trans person who is hardest on herself.
I loved the story. Well written I could identify with Garnet's feelings, and her emotion of longing for acceptance,
Hugs, Jessie C

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

I had some very nasty

Rose's picture

I had some very nasty judgment leveled at me when my sister came out. I was a music pastor at the time, and I talked to my pastor about my own feelings, and it spread around the church.

My pastor stuck by my side, but the damage had been done, and about a year later, I had to get away.

I had some terrible forgiveness issues for several years afterward. It's tough to forgive, especially when the people you're dealing with have no idea. They've never experienced what I do every day.

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

Where's the Beef?

I kept waiting for a homily.

All you offered was compassion and acceptance.

Very good story. Thank you.

Jill

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

acceptance

it is such a precious gift. nice one, hon!

DogSig.png

I've been tempted to write a

Rose's picture

I've been tempted to write a second part to this, but I don't think I'd turn it into anything longer than just having a sequel. I think I'd like to see what happens with Jill myself. LOL!

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

Completeness

A sequel would complete the circle if Jill takes a position with Garnet.

Wonderful story

Jamie Lee's picture

That is indeed an unusual church, with an unusual pastor. A pastor who knows the difference between religion and Christianity. A pastor who truly cares about people, and not whether they follow some human made rules.

What made that pastor unusual is his accepting Grant as he is, never preaching how Grant must repent, when that pastor learned the truth about Grant.

If there were more like that pastor, things would be vastly different.

Others have feelings too.

I agree. I wish more pastors

Rose's picture

I agree. I wish more pastors would work in that way.

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary

No Problem with this

Let me start by saying this: like my sister I don't believe in invisible sky faries. I was raised as a Lutheran, but when I was a teen I learned just how bigoted Martin Luther and the Lutheran church were. The more I looked at other "faiths" the less I could accept. Unless God should appear and perform a large scale public miracle I will remain that way.

Saying that I have nothing to object to in your story. It is after all fiction. If you want to cast a character as "a man of the cloth" that is tolerant of LGBTQ÷ people that's your business. You write your stories, it is you decision what goes into them. It is my decision whether or not to read them This is nicely written, and to my surprise an enjoyable read, inspite of all the dire warnings at the start.

I give it two thumbs up and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Thank you. I'm glad you

Rose's picture

Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Signature.png


Hugs!
Rosemary