Working Girl Part 2

Printer-friendly version

 

WorkingGirl Part 2 of 6
by Melanie Brown
Copyright  © 2021 Melanie Brown

Garner thought it would be fun to sign up for a costume contest

 


 

That was one long-assed meeting.

Mr. Jones thanked me for attending the meeting with him. The two women board members nodded approvingly at me as I gave details on my analysis. I was the only assistant who spoke at all during the meeting. However, I was disappointed and annoyed, when after the meeting, one of the female board members admonished me for improper business attire because my dress was too short.

It was after five when I finally got back to Ms. Lane’s office. She was still in her office as she usually doesn’t leave until around five thirty.

Holding my shoes and standing in her doorway in my stocking feet, I knocked on her doorway and said, “The meeting is over, Ms. Lane.”

Ms. Lane smiled at me. “How did it go?”

I shrugged. “It went pretty well, I guess. I answered a lot of questions and I think the board has more respect for your office now. And I got chewed out for wearing a dress that’s too short.”

Ms. Lane chucked. “Was that Ms. Thornberry?”

I nodded.

Ms. Lane shook her head. “I shouldn’t say this, but she’s a bitch. She feels threatened by pretty, young women who are also intelligent. Just ignore her. Your dress is fine. And thank you so much for doing this. I know it was embarrassing for you.”

I grinned. “No problem, Ms. Lane. In a way it was kinda fun.” For the longest time I’ve wanted to be able to just spend all day dressed as a woman. And it was fun.

Ms. Lane was about to say something when she glanced over at her computer. She frowned and then turned towards me. “Do you have more dresses?”

Feeling worried, I asked, “Why?”

Ms. Lane turned back to me. “I just got an email from Mr. Jones. He wants to steal you from me. He wants you to be his permanent assistant starting tomorrow at eight o’clock.”

“He wants to what?!” I asked, shocked. “I… I can’t do that. I’m not the woman he thinks I am and I have no experience being an executive assistant. I just want to get back to writing reports.”

“I know. I know.” Ms. Lane shook her head. “Until we can figure a way to get you out of this without causing a huge stink and getting us all fired, just go ahead and keep showing up to work as a woman.”

I groaned as I slid into the chair placed there for an assistant and shook my head. “No. That’ll mean having to get up at least an hour or more early to do my make-up and fix my hair. Not to mention putting on a dress and bra and stuff.”

Ms. Lane just stared blankly at me for several long moments before frowning. “Welcome to the club.”

*          *          *

I was surprised to see Jack already in the apartment when I managed to drag myself home. He looked out of his bedroom when I came in and smiled at me. “Well, aren’t you just gorgeous! Did you win the contest?”

I kicked my heels off and plopped down on the couch and stared numbly at the turned off TV. “No. I had to miss it.” I then went on to explain my feminine adventure of being an executive assistant.

Jack stepped out of his room. He was wearing a nice suit, which surprised me. When he gets home, he’s usually pretty quick about jumping into sweats or yoga pants. “Are you serious about you dressing as a women tomorrow as well?”

I nodded. “Yep. That means getting up an hour early just to do my make-up.” I looked at my hands. “I think my nails are still good for tomorrow. So, why are you all dressed up?”

Jack opened his jacket. “What? This old thing? Seriously though. You know that foundation I belong to? They’re having an awards ceremony and dinner tonight. Guess who’s turn it is to be the presenter?”

I turned on the TV. “Why do you even bother? That foundation seems to be a bunch of stuffed shirts and boring.”

Jack shrugged. “Prestige. Networking. You make a lot of profitable connections there. So it’s worth it. For the most part.”

I laughed. “Better you than me, Jackie-boy. I should probably change out of this dress.”

Raising his hand, Jack said, “Hey, hold up a second. When this ceremony was being all set up, I had told them I’d bring a date. But as you know, last week Melanie told me to get lost. So now I’m dateless.”

I got up from the couch. “That’s a real sad story, Jack. I’m going to go change into something less feminine.”

Jack touched my arm. “Wait a second. Why don’t you be my date for tonight. You’re already dressed, made up and everything.”

I turned and gave Jack an incredulous expression. “That’s crazy, Jack. I can’t be your date. I’m not a girl.”

Jack just grinned at me. “You’re certainly pretty enough to be a girl. Besides, I’m bi, remember? It doesn’t matter to me if I’m out with a guy or a girl.”

I shook my head. “Well, I’m not. Despite the fact that I rarely get to, I’m only interested in going out with girls. And really. What’s with claiming your bi? I’ve seen you date like two guys the whole time I’ve known you.”

Jack stepped close to me. “You remember what Woody Allen said about being bi. It doubles your chance for a date on Saturday night.”

I laughed. “I don’t think I’d be taking dating advice from Woody Allen.” I turned my back towards Jack. “While you’re just standing there, could you unzip me?”

Jack frowned. “I’d really prefer you kept the dress on. I really am desperate to have a date tonight.”

I turned around to face Jack. “It’s not that I don’t want to help, but jeez, Jack. I’d feel pretty silly.”

Jack shook his head. “I don’t know why. You make a really fine woman. No one would think you were anything but. Did you feel silly at work today?”

I laughed. “As a matter of fact, I did. I was mortified.”

Jack just laughed. “Give… me… a… break. Remember that time, and it wasn’t very long ago, that I found you running around the apartment dressed as a girl and you confessed that you wished you could dress that way all the time. And look. Now your job lets you dress the way you want and now you have a chance to go on a date with a handsome man.”

“Who?” I asked, expressionless.

“Me. Who else?” Jack put his palms together in a pleading manner. “Please? Go out with me? Don’t make me beg.”

I laughed. “I want to see you beg.”

Jack frowned, but lowered himself to his knees. “Please Garner, go out with me tonight.”

I laughed. “Okay, okay. You win. I need to freshen my make-up though.”

Jack checked the time on his phone. “Okay. Try not to take too long.”

I turned and headed to the bathroom. “I’ll just be a minute.”

After I closed the bathroom door, I checked my make-up. I decided to quickly wash my face and start over. Some of the make-up the girls at work had used on me, I didn’t really like, but I didn’t want to say anything.

Trying to watch the time, I worked as quickly as I could to apply foundation and some blush. I went with a smoky eye shadow since this was an evening outing. I’m not calling this a date! While looking for my lipstick, I came across a package I bought a couple of months ago, but hadn’t had a chance to open it. It was false eyelashes. Since I’m going on a date, this seems like a good time wear them. I frowned at my reflection and thought, no, this isn’t a date.

I heard some knuckles rapping on the bathroom door. Through the door, I heard Jack say, “Honey. Are you almost done? We need to get going.” Did he just call me honey?

A few minutes later, I stepped out of the bathroom and walked back into the common area. “What do you think?”

Jack smiled broadly. “You look great!” He looked at me for a few moments, tilting his head from side to side. “I think I have something you can use. Let me get it.”

Not sure what he meant, I watched him enter his bedroom. A minute later he came out holding a small jewel box.

He opened the box as he approached me. “Your ears are pierced, right?”

I nodded. “Why do you ask?”

He held up a pair of dangly diamond earrings. “I thought you might want to wear these. I bought them for Melanie just before she left me. She left them on the dresser. There’s a matching necklace too.”

I took one of the earrings from his hand. “Cubic Zirconium?”

He shook his head. “Real diamonds, baby.”

I laughed. “Stupid girl. I would have taken the diamonds and then dumped you. So you’re giving me diamond jewelry?”

Jack frowned. “No. I’m just letting you borrow them. I thought they’d look better on you than in this box.”

After a few moments, I got the earrings in. I’d never worn real diamonds before. I could feel them rest against my neck when I turned my head. I held up the necklace. “Can you help me with this?”

Jack smiled. “Of course.” I turned around and reached back to pull up what longish hair I had to get it off my neck. I shocked myself by feeling a bit of a tingle when I felt his fingers brush against my neck as he clasped the necklace. And then I made a girly gasp as I felt his lips on my neck along with a bigger tingle. Jack then did a series of quick kisses down my neck to my shoulder.

I giggled as I turned around. “Stop it! That tickles!”

Jack was grinning. .He said, “Note to self. She likes having her neck nibbled on.” I wasn’t sure what to think of him referring to me as a ‘she’. And dammit. I discovered I did like having my neck nibbled on.

Jack checked the time again. “Babe, we need to go.” He took my hand and led me from the apartment.

After we got in the car and was heading to where the dinner was being held, Jack said, “Thanks again for doing this. A few of the older women in the foundation fancy themselves as matchmakers so having you along should prevent that conversation.”

I frowned. “So I’m just a beard? Insurance protection against unwanted romance meddling?”

Jack put his hand on my knee. “Oh no, baby. Of course not. I really wanted you to come with me. But it’s a side benefit to have you preempt having to listen to how wonderful their cousins are or listen them go on about one of their co-workers.”

I removed his hand from my knee and frowned. “I’m glad I could help.”

Jack sighed. “Like I said, I’m very happy you’re here. Were you hoping for something more like a real date?”

I shook my head. “No. No of course not. I’m here for the free dinner. So, why don’t you try dating one of their cousins or friends?”

Jack shrugged. “I have actually. A few anyway. We just couldn’t connect. You can’t force a relationship. It has to occur naturally.” He looked over at me and his eyes lingered on me. I looked down at my clasped hands in my lap. Holy cow. I think he might actually like me. As in like like me. What should I think about that?

When we arrived at our destination, Jack helped me exit his car and then held my hand as we walked to the hotel where the dinner was being held in one of the large meeting rooms. Once inside, his hand made its way to the small of my back. As we made our way to the meeting room for dinner, we stopped to greet the other attendees. Several older women smiled at me when I was introduced. Several younger women gave me an annoyed look. Jack was the youngest man in attendance and definitely the cutest.

As the hotel staff set up the buffet line, we had to endure the meeting part of the event, listen to the treasurer report and vote on a few proposals. And listen to the chairwoman of the foundation brag on the accomplishments of the foundation.

Sitting next to Jack, I felt more than a bit out of place. These were all “society” people. I was relieved that none of the women were wearing elegant evening gowns and such. It was, after all, just a business meeting for the foundation. I was also embarrassed in that it was obvious after each person I was introduced to, it was a given that I was Jack’s girlfriend.

Finally the meeting part of the event was over and we were all then invited to visit the buffet table.

Jack turned to me. “If you like, you can just stay seated here and I’ll get your dinner.”

I smirked. “I do believe I’m capable of getting my own dinner, Jack.”

Jack smiled. “Just thought I’d ask. After you.”

As we got in line, a woman and I assume her husband turned to face us as we approached.

“Why Jack!” said the woman with a wide smile. “I didn’t see you come in.” She and her husband shook Jack’s hand. She turned to look at me. I was trying to be invisible standing behind Jack. “And who is this?” She asked Jack. Not me.

Jack grinned and placed his hand on my lower back again. “Mr. and Mrs. Jenkins, I would like you to meet Garner Carter. Garner, this is Leroy and MaryAnn Jenkins. They are major contributors to the foundation.

Mrs. Jenkins gave me a wimpy girlish handshake. “It’s so very nice to meet you, Miss Carter. I have to say, you don’t run into many Garners these days.”

Leroy chuckled. “True, though Mary, remember my aunt in Oklahoma?”

Mrs. Jenkins smiled at us. “I have to say, you two make a very cute couple.”

Jack put his arm around my waist as he grinned. “I think so too.”

Mrs. Jenkins leaned in towards Jack in a conspiratory fashion and in a whisper loud enough for me to hear, said, “You should keep this one.”

Jack laughed. “That’s the plan.”

*          *          *

End of Part 2

up
356 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Zowee, could see this coming

Yep, that skirt is too short. Wondered about the roommate while reading part 1; now we know. Garner is a pretty name.

>>> Kay

I'm glad I tried this one,

I almost didn't, because I figured this would be book 2 and I would only find book 1 on Kindle or something. Very nice beginning, looking forward to reading this whole story.

Developing nicely

Robertlouis's picture

I’ve never read a Melanie Brown story that I didn’t really enjoy. You always write well, with a light touch and a great sense of humour. This tale is no different.

☠️

Agree with the above

Thank you for saving me writing the comment :)

Jenkins

Leroy Jenkins in the foundation? :-D They're doomed, now. Doomed, doomed, doomed.

This is a nice story and really well written. Thx^^

Always love the names...

SammyC's picture

One of the many pleasures in reading your work is the often hilarious name-checks. Leeroy Jenkins? LOL. But only readers of a tender age (like myself) would make the connection of Garner to Mr. Jenkins’ aunt in Oklahoma. As in James Garner, born and raised in Norman, Oklahoma. Another great story, Melanie! BTW, can we expect another chapter in the Sister Act/Model Sister saga? Soon?

Sammy

Melanie has the magic touch

BarbieLee's picture

She didn't stumble with the second chapter. In fact it is even more delicious than the first chapter as if that was possible. The hesitation, the doubt, finally reluctant acceptance for Garner to be a last minute rescue date for her room mate Jack. Readers give it some very serious thought, real diamonds loaned on the first date. That is such a hidden subconscious innuendo someone is smitten and yet so carefully crafted into the story as a non event. Did you catch it?
I'd be dead to not follow this story to it's conclusion. I can feel it in my bones, when it ends, I'm going to be disappointed there isn't a novel waiting to read with days of entertainment as I join Garner, Jack and all the others in Melanie's story.
Hugs Melanie
always
Barb
Life is a gift, treasure it until it's time to return it.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Why Is It?

joannebarbarella's picture

One little event always leads to another hot on its heels (high, naturally). And Garner actually wants this, but why do I have the feeling that he won't have a choice?

Stepped into it with both feet

Jamie Lee's picture

Garner as a woman is gathering speed after showing the 'girls' at the office his costume. And it doesn't appear he'll be going back to being male in the future, unless he quits the job he has and starts over elsewhere.

Jack is not helping Garner be having her as his date for the meeting/dinner. And it doesn't seem Jack wants Garner to revert to his male self. Might something more than room mates develop between them.

But what does Garner want? He enjoys wearing women's clothing, and mentioned wanting to be a woman. Does this mean he's now willing to allow himself to be a woman, or try and start over to be his male self?

Others have feelings too.

Fun story

I do have a question though, he noted in chapter 1 he had purged his collection, the costume not withstanding, what is he wearing to work tomorrow?

Happy

Clothes

Melanie Brown's picture

I guess she went shopping. I don't show everything

Melanie