Carl's Summer School Uniform 4/6

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 4

It was a warm night, so I changed into a loose summer skirt and light sun top that Cassie had given me, and went down to the kitchen with my clothes that needed washing. “Don’t just throw you dirty stuff in the laundry basket anymore, you will have to look after your own stuff from now on.” Mum quickly told me.

“ What do you want me to do Mum, does it need sorted?”

“ Normally you would need to separate the coloured and whites and delicates from the general wash, but none of that looks too dirty so just put it all in together, it should be ok, Set the dials at ‘daily wash ’ 40oC cycle, put a cup of powder in the little drawer and turn it on.

“ Anything I can do to help you with preparing dinner, Mum?”

“ It makes a change that you have thought to ask, thank you. I’m just making a chicken lasagne for tonight, that can be eaten cold with a salad if we sit outside. If you really want to help, chop up finely a couple of peppers and carrots and a large onion and I will sort out the mince and sauce.. You don’t want to get your clean skirt dirty, there is an apron on the back of the larder door, put that on first.

As we were working, Mum and I chatted away and I learned a lot about what she had got up to when she was younger. Everyone thinks of their Mum as a bit staid and boring, but she surprised me by telling me stories about her times working as a holiday rep in Torremolinos and Benidorm in Spain for a couple of years, and the wild partying times she had before she met Dad and had Cassie and me. I realised what she had given up for the family and gave her a hug as I thanked her for telling me. I think that it was the first time she had ever told me anything about herself and her life, normally all our conversations seemed to be about school or family business, and I promised myself that I would find out more in future chats.

“ Your father should be here soon, you may want to go up to your room for a bit and keep out of the way. I have told him over the phone what you have been doing dressing in girls’ clothes, and he is not wonderfully happy about it. It will be better if you let me have a talk with him before he sees you.”

Listening from up in my bedroom, I heard Dad come in and a lot of loud conversation between him and Mum before she came up to get me and lead me downstairs.

“ What on earth do you think you are doing Carl?” Dad growled at me as he caught sight of me for the first time dressed in girls’ clothes.

“ I am trying to get the school to change its dress code, I wore a skirt as a protest and it all just snowballed. The school insisted that if I wanted to look like a girl, I needed to do it properly and Mum had the same idea, both of them trying to embarrass me into giving up. I am dressing full-time as a girl and going to classes with the girls at school. By the way, everybody is calling me Carla now.”

“ Well I think that it is ridiculous, I actually agree with the reason for your protest and can even accept your idea of wearing a skirt to make your point, but this has gone much too far. I will be going to the school on Monday to get this all sorted out.”

“Please Dad, don’t do that, I am determined to stick this out until the school changes the dress code, and if you go up there causing trouble they will just dig their heels in and refuse to listen.”

“ Well, I do not like this, but your Mum has convinced me, against my better judgement, that you are happy and comfortable living as a girl for the moment. I am outvoted, and that is even before I ask Cassie what she thinks, I am sure she really enjoys seeing you like this.”

When the weather allowed we enjoyed sitting out at the garden table to eat. Usually when we all got home, Cassie and I went to our rooms and watched TV or played computer games, or in Cassie’s case spending half the time chatting on her phone or computer with friends. It was normally nice to relax and talk as a family while we were eating and have a pleasant evening sitting in the sunshine, but this time Dad was not his usual cheery self and just sat quietly deep in thought.

As we went back inside as it was getting cooler, Mum took one look at us and groaned.

“Cassie I keep telling you about using sun cream when you are wearing those skimpy tops, you are all red and your skin is hot, You are not much better Carla, you will really have to take more care of yourself now. There is some after-sun lotion in the cupboard, go upstairs and get changed for bed and rub each other with the cream, it will stop you burning up.”

As Cassie was applying the cream on my back she started giggling.

“ What’s up Sis, what is amusing you.”

“When all the redness dies down, you are going to be left with strong tan lines from your bra straps and the across your back from the edge of the sun top. The girls will love that when you are next in the changing rooms.”

Where have you been anyway, It might have been nice if you had been there to support me?”

“How did it go with Dad? I deliberately kept out of the way, I didn’t think it would help if I chipped in with my two pennyworth.”

“ Not as bad as I expected, he is not happy, but Mum convinced him to let me continue.”

The next morning at school went in a blur, nobody was bothering me or calling me names, and the other pupils, particularly the girls, just treated me as another one of the girls in their class.

After lunch in the needlecraft workroom, Zoë and I quickly finished off our dresses, made some slight adjustments and added trims on the sleeve cuffs, skirt hem, and collar, and attached loops for a tie belt. We trimmed off the excess from the seams and were ready to try them on.

“ After being behind, the first day, you two have caught up and finished first. Well done, aren’t you going to try them on?” Miss Rogers asked us.

I was wondering where to go to change when Zoë took off her blouse, dropped the dress over her head, dropped her skirt and and smoothed the dress down.

“ Come on Carla, don’t be shy, the others will be too busy finishing theirs off to look at you, and besides a lot of them have seen you in the changing rooms already, let’s see what you look like in yours.” After a look around to see that most of the girls were busy at their machines I just followed what Zoë had done.

“ I see you used your imagination a bit Zoë, the dresses are a bit more close-fitting than the ones most of the girls get from the shops and the trims you have added individualise them a bit. You have bent the rules but you will get no complaints from me.”

Soon everyone was finished and Miss Rogers walked around inspecting them all.

“ Well done girls, every one one of you. I know that these summer dresses are not the most popular style, and you would all rather be wearing something a bit trendier, but those are the rules and you all actually look very good in them. Although you are not supposed to wear them until next Monday, if you wish, you can keep them on for your last class of the day.”

When we walked into our next class there was a lot of murmuring and pointing from the girls and after it was over, some of them came and asked us if we could adjust the ones their mothers had bought for them as the way we had done ours was much more stylish. we offered to do the first three that asked us, but referred the rest to Miss Rogers’ needlework lessons.

Back at home I walked into the kitchen to show Mum my dress and she just stared at me for a few moments, without making any comment., before she came over to me.

“ You have done a really good job of that Carla, it fits you just enough to tell everybody that you are now to be considered as a girl. let me have a good look at it. She felt around the hem and sleeves, turning them back to inspect the stitching. “Thats’s a nice soft material and you have sewn it really well, you must be proud of what you have done.”

“ When Miss Carter first told me what I had to do I was really scared and embarrassed and nearly walked out, but Zoë was a massive help, she really knows what she is doing and corrected any mistakes I was making. It is more down to her than me that it turned out so well.”

“ You don’t want to ruin it, so go upstairs and get changed. You need to keep it nice and clean for when you wear it for school on Monday. ”

I was in my room in the middle of changing and standing in just my bra and knickers, when the door flew open and Cassie burst in without knocking first and being invited.

“ The girls at school were going on about you parading around in the new dress you have made and how good you looked. Let me see it.”

“ I’ve just taken it off and hung it up.”

“ Well, just take it back out and put it on again.“ she snapped back in her ‘don’t mess me about’ voice, and I did as I was told.

“ Hey, that looks great. I have never really liked that summer dress, I have always thought it a bit little-girlish, but it looks a lot better the way you have done it. You will definitely have to alter mine before Monday, I can’t have my kid sister being more stylish than me, can I.”

“ I’ll make a deal with you. I am going to Zoë’s tomorrow to alter some dresses for some of our classmates. I know that you hate needlework, but come and help us and we will tidy up your dress for you as you want it to look.”

“ It’s not how I would like to be spending my Saturday morning playing at seamstress with my kid sister and her friend, but it seems fair, it’s a deal, although I am not particularly looking forward to it.”

In the morning Cassie brought some stuff into my room and threw it on my bed.

“ I’m just going casual today. “ she said as she squeezed into really tight jeans and a skimpy top, Why don’t you do the same, I put some in your wardrobe for you the other day?”

“ I tried the jeans on, they are so tight and uncomfortable, I can’t believe that you actually like wearing them.”

“You have a lot to learn. As a girl you have to follow the styles and not stand out from everyone else, Everybody appears cool in them, it is expected.”

“ They are anything but cool, as in the proper sense of not warm. The whole reason I am doing this is because I wanted the option of wearing shorts and not having my legs all wrapped up during this hot weather. I am just going to wear my denim skirt, it is much more pleasant with the fresh breeze cooling my legs.”

“ Please yourself, I think you are beginning to like wearing skirts.”

Despite not originally being enthusiastic, round at Zoë’s Cassie soon settled down with us and seemed to enjoy acting as the model while we pinned her school dress to fit as she wanted it to look. When it was all finished she was delighted with how it fitted and looked, and kept it on while we made the alterations to the other ones for the girls at school. Because she was helping us by cutting, fetching and carrying, we managed to get them all done a lot quicker than we had expected and went to deliver them to the girls from class. Cassie decided to keep on the dress and come round with us rather than heading straight home.

“ Thanks, so much girls, I didn’t really want to do this today, but you have done a wonderful job on the dress, I won’t be embarrassed to wear it as I was last year. I have enjoyed myself with the pair of you today, it has been fun, let me know if you have anything planned, I might hang out with you again.”

“ We were planning to go down to the fair tomorrow, we haven’t been there this season yet, do you want to come with us, or will it not be cool being seen out with your kid sister?”

“ That sounds good actually, it should be fun, of course I will come with you.”

“ Hi girls,” Mum smiled at us as we arrived home and went into the kitchen, did you have a good day? It’s a change to see you wearing a dress Cassie, instead of your usual out-of-school denim jeans, Carla is a good influence on you. Is that your school dress from last year or have you been spending again?”

“ No need Mum , Carla and Zoë, mainly Zoë, did a super job on it don’t you think?”

“ Yes dear, I’ll definitely have to get Carla and you to make something for me now. You best keep that dress looking good for Monday, go and change, and it’s too hot for jeans, put on one of your light sundresses. “

I went up with Cassie to her room and sat on the bed while she looked through her wardrobe and, after pulling several out wrinkling her nose and putting them back, finally ended up with a spaghetti-strapped loose floral shift.

“You look a lot prettier in that than your usual ripped grunge jeans, you should dress like that more often, and I’ll tell you something, you will have the boys around you like bees at a honey pot.” Which brought a big smile from her.

“ There is another one for you here, you can try on if you want.”

“ I couldn’t wear something that skimpy on the top, I can’t take off my bra like you’ve done, and the straps would show.”

“ Hmm, you are right, we will have to do something about that. Don’t be so old fashioned though, most girls and women are not ashamed to show their bra straps any more, just put on the dress and we will go and sit in the garden with a drink.”

“ You girls are looking delightful,” Mum gushed as we went to go outside,” I have just got to take a photo of you together.”

We got our drinks and a chocolate bar, got a couple of chairs from the shed and chatted about what we were planning to do at the fair, until dinner was ready.

“ Cassie how many times do I have to tell you about using sun cream, and you too Carla, you have both caught the sun again and are bright red, get up to the bathroom, use the after-sun in the cabinet, if you have any left from last time, put some on each other to cool your skin down and stop your skin drying out and flaking.”

When we sat down at the table dad took one look at us and went quiet for a minute. “ What have you two done to my children, Instead of a son and a totally scruffy unkempt and unruly daughter I now seem to have two delightful young ladies.”, Mum burst into giggles and we both soon followed.

After dinner Dad suggested that as it was such a nice late spring evening that we should go for a walk around the lake in the nearby park, it was the first time since we were children that we had done anything like that when not away on holiday, and we all jumped at the chance of being a happy united family again, instead of us all doing our own things, Afterwards we stopped off at the beer garden of the nearby pub, lagers for Mum and Dad, and cola and orange juice for Cassie and me.

“ Hello Carla, it’s nice to see you out with your family.” I quickly looked to see Miss Carter with a rather tall attractive man beside her.

“Hello Miss Carter, it is a lovely evening isn’t it, we’ve just been for a walk together.”

“ We are not in school now, just call me Jane, and this is my partner Rob”

“ I apologise for my ignorant children Jane,” Dad butted in, “I’m Mike, this is Caroline and I assume that you know Carla and Cassie. Would you like to join us?”

“ I’d love to, but we are meeting friends over there waiting for us, maybe another time. I’m amazed at how well Carla has settled in with the girls, she is determined to make it work. You must be proud of her.”

“ Thank you for helping Carla with the summer uniform dress. She gave all the praise to Zoë, but I am sure that you had a big input too.” Mum replied.

“ Carla is a quick learner and is quite enthusiastic, Zoë kept her on the straight and narrow, but Carla did all the work herself.”

“ Am I the only one who does not totally accept that Carla in here for the immediate future, everyone else just seems to accept it without any qualms?” Dad said after Jane and Rob had left.

“ Just be quiet and enjoy your beer Mike.” Mum playfully snapped back at him.”

Sunday morning Cassie and I smothered ourselves in sun-screen moisturiser and I heard Cassie giggling as she did my back and shoulders.

“ What’s tickling you Cassie?”

With all that sitting in the sun yesterday, you have now got lovely tan lines, across your back and chest where the top of your dress sat and on your shoulders from the straps of the dress and bra. There will be no hiding those when you get changed for gym next week.”

Ignoring her I dressed for a day of fun at the fair, in a crimson tartan mini kilt and cerise sleeveless top and open-toed sandals, Cassie had decided on a low-cut strappy top and frayed hem Daisy Duke shorts.

“ Let’s hurry up and get out of the house before Mum sees you and makes you change.” I joked with her.

We picked up Zoë and got the bus down to the coast to the fair. It was not as big and brash as some of the theme parks, but we still had some scary rides on the rollercoasters and Pirate ship as well as the traditional Chair-o-planes, waltzer, and dodgems. We had a great time, getting really scared and having loud screams on the hairier rides, but always managed to calm down afterwards with ice cream, popcorn, toffee apples or candy floss. While Zoë and I got all our thrills from the rides and the treats, Cassie, being that bit older, was getting her thrills flirting outrageously with all the ride attendants and the boys following us around, well mostly following her Daisy Dukes if the truth be known.

Later after we had enjoyed, if that is the correct word, the thrills of the scarier rides we had a gentle walk along the promenade watching people in the penny arcades and bingo stalls, eating bags of chips, trying to keep them out of reach of the swooping seagulls, and just enjoying the freedom and the fresh air. We sat on the beach for a while, Zoë and I people watching, and Cassie boy-watching. She was getting to be a real flirt, I shuddered to think when what she would be like
in a couple of years time.

We took off our shoes and walked back along the waters edge, paddling in the rippling wavelets, being silly kicking the spray at each other, before saying goodbye to Zoë and making our way home.”

“ Just look at the pair of you, you look only half-dressed, particularly you Cassie. Your Dad is in the garden cleaning down the barbecue for later, go and get changed before he sees you, put on those nice dresses you wore yesterday.”

Giggling, we did as we were told and were down and out in the garden with Dad 10 minutes later.

“ Carla, are you going to help me out here with the barbecue, like you usually do, or do you want to help Mum and Cassie in the kitchen?”

‘ Just because I am wearing a dress doesn’t mean that I have forgotten how to cook chicken, sausages, burgers, and veggie kebabs, let me go get an apron and I will be right back.”

I left Cassie in with mum preparing the salad and side dishes, laid out the patio table, and sliced the burger buns and started watching the grill for Dad while he went to get cleaned up after laying out and lighting the charcoal.

Cassie brought out the crockery and the dressings and came over to me.

“ Hi, it was fun today with you two, I thought that it might be a bit boring with my kid sister and her friend, but you two are ok. Let me know if you have anything planned, I might join you again. Sometimes with my friends we are all trying to be grown-up or cool, and worry too much about what other people think, it’s nice to be a kid again occasionally. After all, I am still only fifteen, I have years ahead to be adult and sensible.”

“ You are welcome to join us anytime, and don’t forget you promised to help me make a dress for Mum.”

We enjoyed our barbecue, it was the first of the season for us. Usually, when we were in the house we all tended to do our own thing, Cassie and I going to our rooms to watch our favourite tv programmes, but after a barbecue we always spent time as a family, ‘bonding’ is the in phrase.

“ Mum , why don’t you set up the sewing machine and I will check that it is still working ok, and maybe tomorrow after school I can meet you at “ The Sewing Shack’, you can pick out some patterns and material and I can get started on your dress.” I saw Dad rolling his eyes at this, but he did not say anything, just gritted his teeth.

“ i’ll come with you too, I could do with a couple of skirts and we can make them up together.” added Cassie. Even if Dad was still a bit unsure of how I was now living, at least Cassie and I were becoming closer again, a lot of the ‘big sister/kid brother’ rivalry had now gone.

A bit later we had the machine set up and checked out, doing some test seams on an old blouse that Mum was going to throw out and it seemed to be working fine. It was not as flexible in stitching styles as the machines at school or the one Zoë had, but it was adequate for what we would need to do.

“ That’s all working fine Mum, we have now just got to decide what you want in style and something that won’t be too difficult to make and we can get started. I’ll see you at the shop at a quarter to four, you get there a bit earlier and pick out some patterns, and I will let you know which I can cope with.”

To be continued.

up
283 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

It's too bad there are only

JenniBee's picture

It's too bad there are only two chapters left, as I'm really enjoying this story. It will be interesting to see how you wrap it up.

It's nice too see Carla and her sister getting along, as well as Carla being a good influence on her older sister by convincing her to enjoy herself rather than worry about how her peers perceive her.

If Carla does decide to continue as a girl, I hope her dad will be supportive of her.

I'm glad you are enjoying the

I'm glad you are enjoying the story Jenni. The six chapters take Carla's story to a natural break point. It seems to be popular so a sequel will likely follow. People in their teens often get too wrapped up in how they are seen by others and try to grow up too quickly ( particularly girls, a lot of boys never seem to grow up and act sensibly ). Carla is keeping Cassie's feet on the ground.

Gill xx

A sequel will likely follow...

Lucy Perkins's picture

Hurrah!!
That is music to my ears, Gill, as I am really enjoying Carla's story. As with all your stories, you make me bother about the characters.
This is a really great take!
L xxx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

Wow!

Lucy Perkins's picture

I absolutely adored this Chapter, Gill, it just at captured the awkwardness of being fifteen, in Cassie's case. Wanting to rebel, but wanting to walk round the lake with Mum and Dad...I remember it so well.
That Cassie is now a more grown up person and less worried about what others think is just lovely. She really has learned from her kid sister's journey.
And Carla, she is one of my favourite characters. Gradually turning from a principled but gauche boy into a lovely young woman, who seems to be having a really positive effect on everyone about her.
And thanks, by the way, for that glorious evocation of the British seaside. I may have missed where the story is set, but for some reason I picture it somewhere between Cullocoates and Whitley Bay, as Mark Knopfler would have it. The scene of Zoe, Carla and Cassie at the fair was just perfectly drawn.
Bravo!
Lucy xxx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

Many thanks Lucy. Teen years

Many thanks Lucy. Teen years are difficult for everyone, trying to be cool and cocky with your friends but still with the naivity and insecurity of childhood, it can be so confusing.
This story is not set anywhere in particular, pick your favourite seaside town. It could easily be Whitley Bay with the 'Spanish City' amusements and Di Meo's ice cream parlour with the beach walk through Cullercoats bay to the ruined priory and majestic Collingwood memorial at Tynemouth. Ahh, memories of times past.
I missed the reference to 'Tunnel of Love' at first, but the wonders of google soon led me to Dire Straits

Gill xx

Nice

BarbieLee's picture

Gillian you write nice soft stories without any hard edges in the action or the dialog. Reading your stories is like being in a pillow fight. Ones filled with feathers or foam not cotton. When I come to the end of the chapter I want to go awwww. People are reflected in the stories they write.
Hugs Gillian
Barb
Life is too short to take seriously, have fun with it.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Kind words,

as always, Barb. Many thanks.

Gill xx

I'm Sticking With It

joannebarbarella's picture

Mainly because you're the author and I'm waiting to see where it goes.

Stick with the author

Glad you are still with us Joanne, only two chapters to go. Thank you for giving me and the story the benefit of your doubt. There are a couple of scenes in the final chapters which may not be your 'cup of tea', (not too heavy, honestly) but the ending may surprise you and be more to your liking.

Gill xx

Finally

crash's picture

I finally got the time to read this segment. Lovely as always. You know I'll be looking forward to you next.

Your friend
Crash

Finally

Many thanks Crash, it's good to get nice favourable comments. Next chapter later today.

Gill xx

Some people are becoming comfortable with Carla around

Jamie Lee's picture

So, what happen to the dress code protest? While Carl says he's still protesting, it looks an awful lot like Carla is enjoying herself. She's been accepted by the girls at school to where she's invited to a sleepover. And the girls have no problems when Carla changes for and after gym.

And dad, and mom, have come to accept Carla being around. She's so accepted the family dynamics have changed.

I get the feeling Carla is no longer there to protest the dress code, but to give Carl a new life. One which seems to fit him better as Carla than Carl.

It's good to hear a sequel is planned. These limited chapters only wet the appetite to Carl's adventure.

Others have feelings too.

comfortable with Carla

Carl(a) is a very determined strong-minded person, who just wants to get on with life. What the future will bring remains to be seen. Enjoy the final chapters Jamie, and we will see about a sequel.

Gill xx

uhhh

I'm so confused, honestly. This school has got to cave soon, there's no way they're going to let this happen for too much longer. Especially in today's political clime. They gotta be stubborn as a rock to continue doing this

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

Well, we don't know when this

Brooke Erickson's picture

Well, we don't know when this is set. Only clues are cell phones and computer games, which gives us *at least* a 30 year spread.

And there's more than one way to "cave". I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see a decision saying that *either* they boy uniform or the girl uniform can be worn, but no mixing and matching between the two.

That'd be something they could claim as being "progressive" but still discouraging the boys/girls from wearing the "wrong" uniform. And it would allow for trans students. Non-binary students would still have a problem as would the boys who want something cooler to wear when it's hot.

Or they could allow boys to wear shorts, and otherwise leave things the same.

Worst case would be leaving the dress code the same except for adding rules specifying that boys wear X and girls wear Y. Which would definitely bew regressive, but it's *possible*.

Me, I'd allow mix and match as long as they looked "presentable". Bras would only be required if you had noticeable breasts. Id probably stick to requiring panties with skirts because there would be boys who accidentally or deliberately wound up hanging out of the fly on their briefs.

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks