La Petite Mardi Gras (2)

Printer-friendly version

La Petite Mardi Gras: Part Two
The Crowning of Lily and Jamie Potter

-1-

As I walked across the crowded ballroom, I noticed how polished the wooden floor looked. I could tell somebody had poured out a mint to have the floor waxed and polished. I mean you could comb your hair in the reflection. All eyes turned toward me as I strolled across the floor toward the refreshment table. The Benton orchestra had paused in their playing for a moment. I collected my thoughts as my eyes fell on Ben who was drumming his fingers on a crystal cup of punch.

“Hey.” He said as he eased his cup down and strolled toward me. “Have a good talk with my sister.” He asked as he walked toward me. “I know she can be a bit overbearing at times. So just that, I'm her only brother and I guess she feels she needs to look after me.”

“It's cool.” I said, smiling toward him. “Lily is the same way with me, she likes to look out for me sometimes. Other times she lets me fall down. But yes, it was a nice little talk. We talked about girl stuff.” I said walking toward the punch bowl. Without thinking I picked up the ladle and poured myself a good measure of punch. Slowly I lifted the glass goblet to my lips and took a sip. I frowned, the punch was spiked. We southerners have a proud tradition of spiking the punch at such gatherings. It loosen the tongues.

“So.” Ben said, smiling a little as he moved toward me, he had drained his glass and was on his second one. “Would Ms. Potter honor me with a dance?” He said smiling, he then tossed back the rest of his drink.

I blinked and tossed back the rest of my drink. It was Mardi Gras after all. And with only four hours left till midnight that meant to me at least that pleasure was on life support. And some phantom hand was about to pull the plug on its life support.

“It would be my pleasure Mr. Allen.” I said feeling the spirits going to my head as my cheeks started to fill with color. I eased my glass down upon the table and filled it up again. “But first let me refresh myself.” I said smiling as I filled the fine crystal goblet with a fruity red punch. I took a deep breath and knocked my second or was it my third drink back. Only thing I know is my head started to spin around as I slipped my hand into the awaiting hand of Ben.

The next thing I knew was the whole world was starting to spin around me. The music, oh the music started to fill the air and the orchestra struck up lively tunes as the ladies of the village started to dance with fine gentlemen. Soon the sound of laughter started to fill the air as ladies exchanged mirthless jokes with each other, using their colorful fans to shield their whispering mouths.

As I was twirled around the dance floor, my mind flashed back to long hidden memories. I started to remember that when I was James, I used to take solace in roleplaying on online forums. I belonged to a dozen such roleplaying communities that were based on the popular farming simulation game “Harvest Moon” where I often made female characters. It was fun to escape into a world of pure imagination even for an afternoon. A world where I was a struggling farm girl, who was trying to rebuild a run down farm. One were I had friends, and one were I attended colorful festivals and won wonderful prizes. Or fished, mined, and explored hidden areas.

But then I became Jamie and my life did a complete one eighty. I now had a host of friends who were loyal to me, a loving boyfriend, a loving family and I found myself attending all the colorful festivals and celebrations that our small town hosted throughout the year. I was living my best life. And for a moment all the doubts, depression, and melancholy that had haunted my every step just seemed to vanish.

And so as I was twirled around, I felt myself being swept up in the magic of the moment. The music seemed to swirl around, I found myself swept up and carried away by its enchanting sound. I can't tell you how long Ben and I danced, for time seemed to have no meaning. In fact, I would go as far as to say this, that time seemed to just slip through our hands. Then as quickly as it started it stopped. The music just stopped and a hushed silence fell over the crowded as a tiny man with a shiny bald head stepped into the crowd. He was dressed in a military like uniform, a scarlet jacket, one that had a row of brass buttons running down the middle and two golden epaulets one on each shoulder and form fitting white trousers. Following behind him were a troop of six men, they too wore the same military like uniform only without the golden epaulets.

The group marched toward the far side of the room and then the man with the tiny bald spoke, and when he spoke his voice filled the room and echoed off the walls.

“By royal decree of his lordship, Lord Rex of Benton.” The man started. “I've come to inform ye happy crowds that the following maiden has been chosen to be crowned Queen of Carnival.” He said as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a rolled up sheet of parchment. He unrolled the sheet, held it in front of him, cleared his throat and in another loud booming tone of voice called out.

“By royal decree of his lordship, Lord Rex of Benton, and with the approval of the courts of all provinces that fall within his domain. And with the power invested in him by the council of krewe's. Its our pleasure to inform the gathered citizens of Benton that Lily Elizabeth Potter has been named Queen of this Year's Carnival.”

The gathered crows expressed their approval by a loud round of applause. A moment later I saw my sister step out from the crowd. With her back straight back she strolled toward the little man and bowed toward him. The man nodded and made a motion for another man who was dressed in a similar manner to come out. The man held with both hands a velvet pillow. Sitting upon the pillow was a crown of gold. The bald man reached over and took hold of the crown and gently placed it upon my sister's head.

“Behold the queen of the Carnival!” He shouted as he watched Lily rise up. “Now, also by royal decree of her ladyship, Lady Muse of Benton.” The man said again as he reached into his coat and pulled out another sheet of rolled up parchment, “By royal decree of her ladyship, Lady Muse of Benton, and with the approval of the courts of all provinces that fall within her domain. And the power invested in her by the council of krewe's. It's our pleasure to inform ye gathered citizens of Benton that Jamie Sarah Potter has been named Princess of this Year's Carnival!”

I felt my jaw drop open. I looked around and all eyes had turned toward me. I felt my face flush with color as I marched toward the front to join my sister. The bald man made a jester with his hands and another man produced a beautiful rhinestone tiara. The man took the tiara and handed it to Lily.

“As is tradition. The Queen of the Carnival, shall crown the Princess of the Carnival and then both shall select one young gentleman of the village, for the royal dance. This dance shall close Carnival, and usher in the death of pleasure. Midnight is close at hand.” The man proclaimed. “We shall now crown our Carnival King and Prince. Whom shall share the last dance of Carnival with the Queen and the Princess. The King with the Queen and the Prince with the Princess.”

At this moment I can't tell you what I felt, my heart felt light as a feather as I approached the stage and bowed down in front of my sister. Smiling, she reached over and picked up the rhinestone tiara and gently placed it upon my head. This was the second time I'd been crowned princess, the first had been at homecoming a year ago. I still remembered that night, it was one of pure magic and it seemed that tonight would be the same. Once the tiara was placed firmly on my head I stepped aside and stood next to my sister.

“Its with great pleasure, that the council of krewe's supported by Lord Rex of Benton, inform ye gathered crowds that we've seen it fit to name.” He called out. It seemed no paper was required for the naming of the king. Instead the man seemed spouting all of this from the top of his head. “Robert John Shoemaker, King of Carnival!” He shouted at the top of his lungs and once more his loud voice seemed to echo off the walls. A roaring applause filled the room as a young man with short black hair and the prettiest baby blue eyes I've ever seen stepped up and received the crown.

Once the crown had been placed upon his head he stepped back and joined my sister and I. I could tell Lily was enchanted by him because she couldn't take her eyes off of him. In fact, I'll go as far as to say she was mentally undressing him with her eyes. I could only roll my eyes, I rolled my eyes for one reason and one reason only, Lily often scolded me for being something of a boy crazy teenage girl. But here she was, looking like a moonstruck calf in front of the whole town.

“Now, for the Prince of Carnival.” The man said. “Its Its with great esteemed pleasure, that we the council of krewe's support by Lady Muse of Benton, inform ye gathered crowds that we've seen it fit to name.” He paused for dramatic effect. “Benjamin Franklin Allen Prince of Carnival!” He shouted and the crowd burst into a loud applause.

Now it was my turn to look like a moonstruck calf. My eyes fell upon the willow frame of Benjamin as he moved through the crowd. He had the good graces to blush and act bashful, as received the crown and walked up beside me. I took a deep breath and peered toward the heavens. I then breathed a silent prayer, it seemed somebody up there had seen it fit to bless tonight. Because tonight I was living, I was living the harvest moon dream.

“Ladies and gentleman.” The man with the shiny bald head called out once more in his loud booming voice, that once more seemed to fill the whole room and echo off the walls. “Its with great pleasure that we give you the Royal Count of the Carnival.” He said, stepping aside as he pointed toward us four.

“Now as tradition.” He said, taking a deep breath. “The king shall dance with the queen, and the prince with the princess and when their dance ends. Pleasure would have passed sadly into the shadows and we will usher in the season of Lent.”

A moment later the music resumed and Benjamin walked up to me, I smiled and he returned my smile with one of his own. He then held out his hand and I slipped my hand into his and without a second thought he guided me onto the dance floor. For one last day, one last day before the start of Lent. For Pleasure was to die at the stroke of midnight it seemed.

up
52 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos