Jamie's First Valentine's Date (2)

Printer-friendly version

Coleman's Steakhouse was a small little restaurant that was located at the far end of Main Street. Beside it one would find Benton Laundromat and across from it one would find Benton Auto Glass Works. Many people in town considered it a hidden treasure, unlike the newest steakhouse in town, The Cow Pen Jr. Located out on the highway this one was located in the heart of Benton. Many in town considered The Cow Pen Jr. a place for tourists to go too.

And yes, Benton, despite its small size, gets a good bit of tourists each year, people from out of state who come down wanting to explore the deep south and learn more about this forgotten part of America. Some are Blue's Historians who want to learn about local Blue's Musicians, others are Civil War historians who are touring battlefields and want to explore the old battlefields that lay scattered about. Including the one north of town. And others are seasonal deer hunters who come down and hunt trophy deer and then return. Those types of people flock to The Cow Pen Jr. But the local's tend to stick to Coleman's Steakhouse.

Coleman's is small too, it's nice and cozy and above all it's a family business. Johnny Coleman, the owner for example is the main cook, his son Noah Coleman helps him in the kitchen. His wife Joanna Coleman is the hostess and main waitress, her daughter Cindy Coleman helps her mom wait tables too. The Coleman's are a very civic minded family too, there a firm support of Benton Academy, which both their children attend. Cindy being a year ahead of me, she also a cheerleader. And thus a “Cheer Sister” to me, once a girl becomes a cheerleader she becomes part of a large sisterhood, and often or not we call each other “Cheer Sisters” its just one of those small town things I guess. Noah Coleman is also on the Football team and is a mentor to Ben. And last but not least Johnny Coleman cooks the traditional meal of steak and bake potato that always served to the football team before homecoming. And always given to the two hostages.

Anyway, the drive from my house to Coleman's only took around fifteen minutes. I wanted to joke with Ben and say we could have saved him a little gas money and taken the trolley, since the trolley ran right by the restaurant. The trolley stopped at the bottom of main street where the trolley barn was located. Short of a brick and tin shed. Like I said I wanted to joke, but there was something romantic about riding along with Ben in his borrowed car. And so I decided to keep my jokes to myself and enjoy the ride.

“Good evening!” A brunette girl around my age called out to us as we entered the waiting area of Coleman's Steakhouse. The air inside was nice and warm. The girl paused and then smiled a little. “Oh Jamie!” She said blushing as she walked over and threw her arms around my neck. “You look good there girl! I mean, I know you can clean up nice and all, but man you can really clean up!” She said smiling as she released me from the hug and stepped back.

“My brother from another mother!” Called out a guy who also had brown hair. He was tall, almost as tall as Ben and had the lean build of a runner. The guy walked up to Ben and the two did some kind of hand jester. You know the things guys do when they bump each other fist and slap the side of each other's hand. I mean even though I was once a guy, I never really understood the whole guy ritual greeting thing. It always seemed so strange to me.

“So!” The guy called out. “What brings you two here?” He said, I now noticed he was dress in a white t shirt and a pair of fading blue jeans. A black apron was tied around his waist. The front of the apron seemed to be fading and was stained beyond repair.

“Oh!” The brunette girl cried out. “You mentioned something about a date! Totally romantic, we're running a special tonight. We call it steak for two. For like fifty dollars, you two steaks, like it's our special in house cut, and all of our meats USDA Choice or higher so it's like melt in your mouth tender. Plus house salad, and your two choices of sides. And a desert to share. Tonight's desert is our special pecan cobbler. It's like peach cobbler only with pecans instead of peaches. Think like pecan pie without the bottom.”

“Totally, we have some of the best steaks in town.” Noah said with a smile. “Our meat comes from local sources. We buy our meat on the hoof from Brewer Farms.” He added. “Kayla raises the finest heads of cattle in Mississippi.”

I watched with some amusement as Noah punched my date in the arms and whispered something into his ears that caused him to give Noah a playful shove. Since becoming a girl, I'd find myself entertained by such antics. Noah returned the playful shove with one of his own and soon the two were trading blows, playful blows. My amusement had turned to embarrassment at this point.

“Anyway.” Cindy said. “Noah I think you need to get back to the kitchen. And I need to seat our guest.” Cindy then winked at me. “Also I love the dress girl. You look amazing.” She then picked up two menus and motioned for Ben and I to follow behind her. Ben turned to me and smiled and I felt myself starting to flush the truth be known I relished any attention he gave me. And that smile was worth a million dollars.

Anyway we followed closely behind Cindy as she guided us through the narrow maze of tables and chairs, the place was standing room only and I considered it a miracle that Ben had even managed to secure us a table on what must have been the busiest night of the year. We soon reached our table, a small, cozy one located in the far back.

“Here you go.” Cindy said as she sat the menu's down upon the table. “As you know my name is Cindy and I'll take your order this evening. So what can I get for y'all?” She asked as she reached down and pulled out a yellow note pad and a pen.

“Coke for me.” I said without  thinking.

“Same.” Chimed in.

“Okay we have two coca-colas.” Cindy said.

“And the Valentine's Day special.” Ben said.

“Excellent choice.” Cindy said with a small smile. “And one more question, what type of dressing would you like with your salad. All our meals come with a house salad.” She asked.

“Not really a big salad fan, can I swap it for an extra roll or something?” Ben asked.

“Of course,” Cindy answered.

“Same, not really a big fan of rabbit food. My sister is, though, I think she is part rabbit.” I said a smile, at that both Cindy and Ben had a little laugh. That was a little inside cheer joke among my cheer sisters that my older sister was part rabbit due to her love of salads of all kinds.

“Okay!” Cindy said as she finished writing all this down on her yellow notepad. “I'll put this order in real quick and it should be out in a flash. We're just getting the grill fired up.” With that being said she collected our menus and started to go but not before calling over her shoulder. “Just give me a holler if you two love birds need anything.”

Ben rolled his eyes and I blushed, but then we both shared a giggle. A few minutes of silence passed before Cindy returned with our drinks, two bubbling glasses of coke-cola, the beverage of choice in the south. I'm not lying when I say that, it seems we southerners take in coca-cola as soon as we can, often taking it in alongside our mothers milk.

“You know, this is really our first date alone.” Ben said as he took a sip from his glass. “Normally, Madeline and Matthew would be with us.” He added.

I nodded my head and a sip of my drink.

“I like our group dates.” I said finally after collecting my thoughts. “I like hanging around the bonfire too, roasting marshmallows and hot dogs and stuff. But sometimes I want to be with you. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to have so many friends. But, sometimes I just want to along with you.” I said smiling as I eased my drink down.

“Same.” Ben as he peered across the table at me. “It's like, when were alone. I'm reminded how beautiful you look. I'm reminded of that of that beautiful girl that took my breath away at homecoming.” He added. “I'm reminded of that beautiful soul that stood up for what she believed in.” He paused and took another sip of his drink. “I'm just reminded of what made me fall in love with you.”

I felt my cheeks flush with color as I peered toward across the table and into Ben's eyes. I felt myself once more becoming lost, lost like somebody who's stumbled into a maze, a maze that one could not escape. A wonderful maze. Okay I'm rambling on, but my point still stands, the more I peered into Ben's eyes, the more I pondered his words, the more I felt myself falling into that twisted, turning maze, a maze I'll like to call teenage romance.

“You know.” I said having finally navigated to the end of my emotional maze. “Every time we're together, Ben. I'm reminded of that handsome boy that gave me my first dance and kiss.” I paused and took a deep breath. “Who was my first crush, then became my first love, who took me by the hand and ushered me into the green grove.” I said winking as I reached over and took another swig of my drink.

“Who rode his bike from Benton Academy all the way to King's Daughters Hospital in a freak snow storm and rushed to my side when I was getting loaded up in a meat wagon.” I paused to brush away a stray tear. “Who kissed me when I came too from a nightmarish dreamland. Who's kiss made me fell more than alive and assured me that I was still alive and not just another corpse awaiting autopsy down in the morgue.” I drained my drink at the last part.

Ben blinked.

“When I was named Homecoming Princess. Who was named Homecoming Prince?” I pointed across the table at Ben and smiled. “You.”

Ben blinked again, at that moment Cindy appeared and refilled our glasses. She quickly left though. I'm sure she noticed that Ben and I seemed to be having a boyfriend and girlfriend type of conversation. Though if I know Cindy Coleman and I do know Cindy Coleman, she and the rest of the squad would ambush me before long and demand all the juicy details. And I of course being honored bound as the youngest member of the 'A' squad would have to tell them everything. It's just the way girls worked, they shared everything.

“When I was baptized with a new name in the Episcopal Church, you were there to support me.” I said smiling. “Considering my whole freaking family is Episcopal that a pretty big deal that you showed up, you know.. cause when we get married, it's going to be in a big old Episcopal Church.” I said smiling.

“You mean St. Andrew's Episcopal Cathedral in downtown Jackson?” He said, smiling a little. “I said a lot of prayers in that church. Prayed before the altar every day you were knocked out and hooked up to all these machines. Sitting there in the pews, I noticed how pretty it was. Its almost as pretty as you.” He said, taking a sip of his drink. “While I was praying, I thought about what you said, how you wanted to get married in that church. I thought about how you looked in your gown and I made a vow. If we ever decided to get married. I'm going to do my best to marry you in that church.” He nodded his head.

“Ben..” I said I was honestly lost for words as I peered toward him. “You were my prince at homecoming, you were my prince at Mardi Gras, I hope one day you will become my husband too,” The words just fell out of my mouth.

Before Ben could respond though. Cindy appeared again, this time she was holding a big tray. “Okay Coleman's Romantic Steak Dinner for Two.” She said setting down two metal plates. “Two twenty two ounce USDA Choice ribeye steaks.” She said smiling. “And extra rolls, cause you're both not a fan of rabbit food. And when your ready for desert just give me a holler.”

And that was that. Table conversation we decided could wait, food had to come first. And soon the only thing that could be heard was the scrapping of forks on metal plates and the sound of two hungry teenagers savoring wonderful steak.

up
51 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Valentines special indeed

Two 22oz ribeye steaks with salads and desert for $50 is ludicrous..... just one of those steaks would feed me and my hubby.

This chapter was so sweet until the meal was served and now I want more.

EllieJo Jayne