The Adventures of Jamie Potter: Jamie's Sweet Sixteen (5)

Printer-friendly version

Carefully I put one foot in front of the other as I made my way from my room, down the stairs, the moment I touched down on the landing was the moment I felt my breath being taken away. The living room was crowded with people. The overflow even reached into the kitchen and down the hallway. The massive crowd then shouted, they shouted all together. And their voices seemed to become one.

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY JAMIE SARAH POTTER!” The gathered crowd shouted as all eyes fell on me. Then all at once the gathered masses started to serenade me. “Happy Birthday to You! Happy Birthday to You! Happy Birthday Dear Jamie Sarah Potter Potter! Happy Birthday to You! From good friends and true, From old friends and new, May good luck go with you, and happiness too!” 

I felt myself starting to tear up. These people, all of them had come out to celebrate my birth. I spotted Madeline standing in the front, she was wearing a simple floral print sundress, beside her was Cerridwen who was wearing a graphic black t shirt and a black skirt, black boots and a spiked collar. Despite her Gothic appearance she was as sweet as sugar. Standing beside her was Daisy, her boyfriend who was dressed in a navy blue blazer, a white button down shirt and a pair of gray slacks. 

Matthew, Madeline's boyfriend was standing behind Madeline, he was dressed the same as Daisy only with a gray blazer instead of a blue one. And there were others too, too many to name. But it was clear, all my friends and family had gathered in our tiny living room to celebrate my birth. 

“Guys.” I said blushing as I turned away. I could not let them see me blushing or the fact that I was almost going to cry. I then felt a gentle hand touch my shoulder, standing beside me was mom. Mom only smiled and gently cupped her hands under my cheeks. “Don't cry darling it would ruin the make-up and beside you're too pretty to cry.” She said smiling. Her smile seemed to reach from one ear to the other. 

“Mom right sis.” Lily said, smiling . “Now go ahead and greet your guest.” She said tapping me on the shoulder, she then reached around and spun me around. I only nodded my head, I understood what I needed to. Putting on a smile I started to wade into the crowd. 

The next hour passed in a flash, dad and a few of the other guys drifted away, to the backyard I guess. Dad had mentioned he was going to cook steaks for my birthday meal. And no doubt the guys were gathering around the grill, talking football or cars or whatever guys do. Mom drifted into the kitchen with a few of the older women. I guess they went to prepare a salad or something. That left me and my friends in the living room to talk among ourselves for a moment.

Talk was light, and really not worth noting. It was mostly gossip. We, and by we I meant, Cerridwen, Madeline, Taylor, Lauren, and I talked about our boyfriends. Who were all helping dad. We talked about the new businesses that were coming to town, about our favorite shops in the mall. Planned a sleep-over for one day during the summer, talked about our favorite shows, our favorite manga and anime. Madeline, Taylor and I then talked about cheerleading as we're all cheerleaders. We then tried to talk Cerridwen into trying out for the team, and we were making a little headway I believe until mom popped in and informed us that dinner was ready.

With that being said most of us filed into the backyard, dinner would be served on the patio it seemed. The moment I cleared the threshold of the sliding screen door was the moment I felt my breath being taken away. The whole backyard had been transformed into a wonderland of colorful lights. Mom had strung fairy lights all over the back yard, they crisscrossed and intersected at random. Under their warm glow, I could see a long table.

The table was covered with a red and black checkered pattern tablecloth, chairs of all kinds had been pushed up by the iron table. The air was thick with the smell of burning charcoal, a gentle breeze kept the mosquitoes at bay. Now I know what you're thinking, you're saying there is no possible way mosquitoes would be out in March right? Well you're wrong, remember in the south winters are mild and our summers are long. Even in March, mosquitoes, green flies, black flies, fire ants, red wasps and such are starting to come out and plague the living once more. 

Anyway, in the center of the table was a large, pink and white cake. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed Lily smiling from one ear to the other as my eyes fell upon the cake. 

“Robin and I baked that cake ourselves.” Lily said, smiling. “Robin said she'll be here, but her little sister came down with the flu. Her mom too, and her dad. And the way she sounded on the phone, I think she came down with it herself.” Lily frowned. “Anyway she sent your birthday gift via one of her cousins.” She said, handing me a square package that was wrapped in brown paper and equally brown twine. “Here. Don't know what it is, I have no idea. I only told her you're into anime and right now you're on a 'Light Novel' craze. So I guess she brought a few Light Novels for you.” Lily said, smiling sweetly. 

I blinked and blinked again as I looked down at the package in my hand and back at Lily. I noticed Lily's eyes seemed a bit mischievous and she had an impish smile on her face. It looked like she was thinking about playing a prank or something. I rolled my shoulders and smiled a little. I then took the package and placed it down on the table. 

“Okay! Cool.” I said smiling. “Remind me to write Robin a thank you note.” I added. As I took a seat. Lily nodded her head and then turned toward Madeline, I arched an eyebrow as I noticed her whispering something in Madeline's ear who quickly fell into a fit of giggles. I could tell Madeline was giggling by the way she raised her hand to shield her mouth. I could sense the two were planning something. But I'm not sure.

Not that it mattered. As dad was spearing the steaks and setting them down in front of us. The big, slab of meat sizzled on my plate and the savory smell of garlic, fresh cracked black pepper, sea salt, and varies other spices floated up from the meat to tease my nose. Low chatter filled the air then grace was said and we all dug in. 

Talk around the table was light, nobody really seemed in a mood to talk much, all though doted on me. Not that the lack of small talk bothered me, I was still kind of lost. Despite having been crowned “Homecoming Princess” last year at homecoming and “Princess of Carnival” this year, I was still unsure of myself and though I craved the limelight I still shunned too much attention. Anyway dinner was peaceful and sitting there surrounded by all my friends and family I felt at peace and at that moment the last remaining part of me, the last remaining bastion that had stubbornly held out hope that I would return to being a boy, finally fell after a prolonged siege. 

I was at last fully Jamie. Mind, body, and soul. 

“Everybody. I would like to have your attention please.” Mom called out as the last bits of steak were consumed. All eyes turned toward mom. Who was still smiling. “First, I would like to thank yall for coming out and being here when my little girl turns sixteen. It means a lot to me, to see she has so friends. Friends who will stick to with her to the end.”

I blushed. 

“Anyway, turning sixteen is a big thing as many of you know. So many things are going to happen in the months to come. And as a mom, I want to ask all of you to please keep Jamie by my side and support her.” She added. “Oh and for the girls you're always welcome to host sleep-overs over here. I'm more than happy to play hostess. Guys, I'm sorry.. but as the old french saying goes, 'I can feed you, but I can not sleep you.'” she smiled and eased back down.

As mom's speech was winding down, Lily nodded to Madeline. I could tell by their hushed exchange of words they were plotting something. Madeline nodded her head and gently stood up and simply vanished into the kitchen. Lily causally gave her the thumps up as she skirted around the table. I started to wiggle in my seat. It seemed my older sister was setting me up for a prank, or something. Inwardly I sighed, as I'd been expecting something like that to happen.

“Anyway!” Lily said as she stood up and smiled. “I think it's time we give the birthday girl her annual tribute of gifts.” She paused. “I mean we give the birthday girl her presents!”

I blushed at this, but I don't think my friends seemed to pay it any mind. Instead they all started to line up and present me their gifts. Madeline gave me a hardback copy of her book 'Ghost Stories and Urban Legends of Benton' she smiled and said she even sighed it for me. She even promised me a signed copy of its sequel 'More Ghost Stories and Urban Legends of Benton'. 

Cerridwen presented me with a midnight black cloak and a silver pentagram cloak pin. I smiled and thanked her of course, I could tell the cloak had been handmade, that made it very special, well special to me at least. Matthew and Daisy, just blushed and both handed me a card that held a few dollars. The cards were cute and yay for more shopping money!

Kayla and Heather, Madeline's moms  presented me with Walmart Gift card. Heather then surprised me by saying she'll like to invite me onto her show and play her newest game 'Mouse Trap' I felt my cheeks starting to blush and without giving it a second thought I'd agreed. Robin's gift turned out to a collection of used Light Novel. And I mean a bundle of them, at least four or five. 

Lily's gave me another gift card, this one could be redeemed at Victorian Secrets.. I blushed at that, Lily only winked and whispered something in my ear that made me blush. I'm not going to repeat what she said, because it caused me to become so flustered that I became tongue tied for a good four minutes. But I soon swatted her away.

Then a hushed silence fell over all, as the door-bell chimed and in the doorway of the screen door, a very pretty girl who appeared around Lily age appeared. She looked very unsure of herself. And the way she carried herself reminded me of a person walking on a tightrope. It was like she was walking on eggshells. Folded to her chest was a brown package tied in brown string.

“Sorry I'm late. A freight train derailed between Vicksburg and Yazoo City and the train I needed to catch that would take me from Yazoo City to Benton was late too.” The girl said as she looked down. She spoke in a very hurried tone of voice. The girl took a deep breath and slowly made her way toward me, I noticed she seemed to be trembling, slowly with shaking hands she held out the brown package.

“Happy Birthday. Ms. Jamie Sarah Potter.” She said, bowing her head a little.

I blinked and tilted my head to the side, then I noticed something. My jaw dropped. Lily stood up and peered toward the girl, so did Madeline and so did the rest of my friends. 

“LINDA!” I said, my voice reached another octave as I peered into the face of the girl who had slapped me so hard I'd seen stars a few years ago. “WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?” I yelled as I stepped back. Linda withdrew a few inches and flinched. The way she flinched reminded me of somebody getting hit square in the face with an iron skillet. I have no idea why that mental image came to be, but it did. I felt my face starting to soften. 

“To say I'm sorry.” Linda said blushing as she handed me the package. “Lily sent me a message on Facebook. She invited me, and I decided to kind of settle things between us.” She said, she seemed to be choking on her words. “I don't expect you to forgive me.. but I'm here to say that I'm deeply sorry for the way I acted toward you Jamie, and I hope one day we can be friends.” She then held the package out to me.

I blinked and eyed the package for a moment. But then I decided to take a chance and open it. I blinked again and much to my surprise I found four more light novels wrapped up in the paper. Counting the ones Robin gave me, I had the first seven 'Sword Art Online' light novels. It seemed I had my reading cut out for me. Oh and Sword Art Online has become my all time favorite anime. So having the first seven light novels was a real treat for me.

“Thanks.” I said sitting the books down. “Want to stay for some cake? I think dad might have a leftover steak or two? I'm sure we can throw one on the grill for you?” I said.

Linda shook her head.

“You sure?” Lily asked as she appeared beside me, “We have plenty Linda.. And forgive me, where were you planning on spending the night? The train's stopped running an hour or so ago and the next ones not till tomorrow afternoon. And it's supposed to rain tonight.” 

Linda shrugged her shoulders. 

“Never really gave that much thought?” She said, “But I'll manage something..” She said smiling, and with that she turned but my mother was quick to act.

“Nonsense.” She said in a firm tone of voice. “Young Lady, you will spend the night with us. And tomorrow afternoon I'll drive you down to the station myself.” She said, eyeing Linda as she folded her arms across her chest. “You will be our guest tonight.” And with that the matter was settled, and Linda was ushered to the table and Dad of course being dad, who loves to cook, fired up the grill again and started cooking Linda a steak, we had plenty left-over and he loved showing off his 'Grill Skills'.

Then it happened. I felt something heavy, thick, and creamy come pushing down upon my head, a moment later something very sweet entered in my mouth. Before I could catch myself I felt something else, creamy getting rubbed into my hair, smothered into my hair. I turned around and before me stood Madeline, Lily, Taylor, Cerridwen, Ben, Daisy, and Matthew. All smiling from one ear to the other. Each one of them held a small plate that held a small slice of cake. 

“Happy BIRTHDAY JAMIE SARAH POTTER!” They all yelled as they dove down on me, each one took great delight in smearing the cake and frosting in my already frosting covered hair and on my already frosting covered face. It seemed mom had gotten me when I was watching dad cook. Oh well, I guess I'll get them back next time. After all Madeline has a birthday coming up next month, Cerridwen's a month after that, Daisy's a few days after Cerridwen's, Lily, I'll get Lily back another way, and Taylor, I'll just make her run extra laps. Ben and Matthew get a pass. And that's how my sweet sixteen came to an end. Covered in cake and frosting and surrounded by all my friends and family. Also it seems Linda and I finally managed to patch things up. Maybe turning sixteen would not be so bad after all. 

The End.

The Adventures of Jamie Sarah Potter will continue in “Adventures of Jamie Sarah Potter: Jamie and the Phantom Nurse ''.

up
38 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Why is it

That people think mashing a cake or a pie in somebody's face and/or hair is the height of humour? To me it ranks high up in the category of things that justify ADW. Judge: "They did what? Mashed a cake in your face and hair? And you responded by taking a baseball bat to everybody? Action justified by circumstances. Case dismissed, with prejudice.

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive