What Milsy Did -34-

Printer-friendly version

After the near-disaster of the previous day, senior guildsmen arrive to investigate the steam engine and to rebuild it if possible. They are naturally surprised by Milsy's abilities as she and Senidet demonstrate what they can do.

grakh on parchment

What Milsy Did

by Penny Lane

34 - The Missing Link


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2021 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



"Mistress Milsy?"

Milsy, Bursila, Senidet and Molleena had barely made themselves comfortable in the study the next morning, to resume their design activities, when Kendo apologetically knocked against the open door.

"Kendo? If you would enter, please."

"Thank you, Mistress. There are some guildsmen outside who desire to speak with you. Uh, not our own guildsmen, that is, Mistress, but some who have arrived at the palace this morning."

Milsy's eyebrows rose but then her expression changed. She glanced at Senidet.

"I swear, it is impossible to have a moment's peace any more! There is too much taking place in the palace since His Highness and Lady Garia returned." She had an unpleasant thought and asked, "Surely not those who came yesterday, to assemble the steam engine?"

The armsman replied, "I do not think so, Mistress. If I may venture a guess, these are led by a more senior person."

"Very well, Kendo, send them in."

"As you desire, Mistress."

Shortly four guildsmen appeared at the door and Milsy beckoned them in.

The one who looked as if he was the most senior addressed her, as she had been the one to invite them in.

"Mistress, we were told that Guildswoman Milsy would be found here, but I see four... and I am not sure whom I should be addressing."

She smiled and gestured. "I am indeed Guildswoman Milsy, despite appearances... and, also despite appearances, I am not Guildmistress Garia. The resemblence is accidental. Please, find yourselves seats. If I may introduce Senidet, who is apprenticed to Guildmistress Garia and with her is her assistant Molleena. They are presently working with me while the Guildmistress is busy elsewhere. This is Bursila, my own assistant."

The man shook his head in wonder. "Some scant weeks ago it would have been beyond belief to me to even consider the existence of a woman in any guild, yet here I see four. I am Craftmaster Belvan of the Steam Department of the Metalsmiths, this is my own assistant, Guildsman Merion, this is Guildsman Towdor and Journeyman Kadaren. We have come in answer to an urgent request from Craftmaster Tarvan, regarding a serious problem with the steam engine being installed for the King. He also informed me that it was you who discovered the problem."

"That is true." Milsy thought. "Gentlemen, we had other plans but we must needs be at your disposal today. As you mention, the engine is to pump clean water out of a well for the palace, and I have no doubt that His Majesty will regard any delay as most serious. If I may explain what happened yesterday. All of us here were present, in fact it was Senidet who noticed the first problem."

Milsy, with some help from Senidet, recounted what had happened. Belvan's face grew longer.

"Mistress, I must tell you that this is not the tale we were told. However, the circumstances are so unusual that I must needs keep an open mind about this business. If we may -"

There was another knock at the door. Bassen poked his head around the frame and, when he saw that there were others present, showed himself and bowed.

"I must apologize, Mistress, I did not know that you already had visitors."

"That's all right, Bassen. These are guildsmen from the Steam Division who have come to find out what happened yesterday."

Bassen blew out a breath and shook his head. "A bad business, Mistress. Everyone in the craft hall has done nothing but speak of it."

Belvan rose. "If I may introduce myself. I am Belvan, Craftmaster of the Steam Division. You can vouch for the Mistress and her account? You must understand, I see four young women who tell me a strange tale, one that does not match with what brought us here."

Bassen nodded. "I am Bassen, Senior Joiner in the palace, and I can indeed vouch for Mistress Milsy and, indeed, her assistant Bursila and also for Apprentice Senidet and her assistant Molleena! All are well known in the palace. As for Milsy, you may trust absolutely anything that she may tell you." He smiled, adding, "Assuming, of course, that you can understand it in the first place!"

"Do you tell me?" Belvan rocked back. "There is much going on here I do not understand. What did you mean, 'if I may understand what she tells me'?"

The smile turned into a grin. "Milsy is a wonder in the palace, with an intelligence no less than that of the Guildmistress, I deem, though of a different kind. Did you see copper wires fixed to the walls, as you walked through the palace?"

"Aye, we did, and wondered what they were for."

"They were for a new kind of clock, such that you can discover what time it is merely by looking at it. There are now a number of such clocks about the palace, and we are ever installing more, all connected to the Great Clock by those wires such that they are always accurate. Milsy designed those clocks, Craftsmaster, and is in the process of designing a new alarm system for the palace working on the same principles. It is to report progress on that project that I have come today."

"Ah?" Belvan turned to Milsy with a look of respect. "Mistress, you have my apologies. Until today I was not aware of your abilities or achievements which sound unexpected for someone so young. If I may ask -" He shook his head. "This is not the time or place. Bassen, are we about to interrupt anything?"

"No, Craftmaster. I have merely come to inform Milsy and Senidet that we have just received a fresh consignment of planed wood and will be able to begin building her cabinets once she presents us with a design."

Milsy looked at Senidet. "Well, that's what we were going to concentrate on this morning before these gentlemen appeared. I suspect that fixing the Steam Engine is going to take us the rest of today." She had a thought. "Oh! We'll need some more battery boxes, you could begin by making at least three of those. If we don't need them for our tests," she grinned, "then there will always be more repeater clocks on order by the time they are built."

Bassen grinned back. "Aye, they grow like weeds presently, do they not?" He waved a hand. "As you desire, Mistress. I'll leave you to the good craftmaster and his hot and smelly engines."

Bassen waved again and disappeared. Belvan turned to Milsy.

"Matters... are not what we had been led to believe, Mistress. Your own abilities, and your part in the matter of the engine, do not appear to have been properly reported. However, our main reason for coming to the palace today is to discover what parts of the engine must needs be replaced, to obtain such parts from stock if they are available, and to complete the construction and inauguration of the engine. If you would accompany us? You are familiar with the palace and we are not, and it now appears that you may be of assistance in the task we have been set."

"Surely, Craftmaster. I must mention that if you desire us to help you then we will need to change. It will not take us long but, as you can see, we cannot attend the engine attired as we are. We eat meals with the King and Queen and may not do so in our work clothes. This morning, as we were only using the blackboard and some paper, we did not feel the need to change after breakfast."

"As you wish, Mistress. We will wait for you as we may."

Milsy turned to Senidet. "If you would go and change. We'll meet at the door into the treadmill chamber."

"Of course, Milsy." She paused. "I still have the engine manual upstairs, I will bring it with me."

Belvan gave Milsy a questioning look as Senidet and Molleena departed.

"Ah, Senidet resides in a chamber on the upper floor some distance away. My own quarters are here, my bedroom is just next door. These chambers are properly the residence of the Royal Questor, but they have been empty since Questor Morlan's death and, since we have been using the laboratory, the King has graciously permitted me to move in here." She smiled. "Apparently, it is saving damage to the carpets in the suite where I resided before."

"Mistress, I have many questions, but the engine must needs come first. If you would go and change."

Milsy curtseyed. "We will not take long, Craftmaster."

When Milsy and Bursila reappeared, in their inventor suits, the four guildsmen looked surprised.

"This is... unexpected," Belvan said. "I did not realize... is your attire to be the standard uniform for guildswomen? If I may say so, it looks very practical."

"It is a work in progress, Craftmaster, like so much else these days. I suspect that we will probably find them too warm when the better weather comes. If you would follow us."

Milsy led the way to her entrance door but stopped there to give an explanation.

"You will have noticed that we have an escort of guardsmen with us at all times, Craftmaster. This is because of my unfortunate resemblance to the Guildmistress. You will have heard of attempts to kidnap or kill her and the King deems that I am in like danger, if only by chance. Thus, I have my own file of guardsmen who must needs come with us at all times, even inside the palace. You can be sure that they are familiar with what I do and where I go and will not get in our way."

"As you say, Mistress. As we were led though the corridors to your chambers I saw the guardsmen and wondered what kind of circumstance we were getting into. Of course, since the craven attack on the Prince and his party we no longer wonder about troops being present anywhere in the city... although I would have considered the palace safe enough."

"Indeed, and it normally is, Craftmaster. However, it is the recent attacks on Lady Garia which have meant that both Lady Garia and myself now need more protection than the King himself. Since the first attempt on Lady Garia was made in the palace by someone who had been a servant some years, the King is naturally more cautious concerning our safety."

Outside in the corridor Kendo raised an eyebrow. "Where today, Mistress?"

"Back to the High Tower this morning, Kendo. These gentlemen have come to try and repair the steam engine, with our assistance. Oh, and we'll be meeting Senidet at the entrance door."

"As you command, Mistress."

The enlarged group made their way through the corridors to the small door which led into the tower. Senidet was not there but as they turned to wait she appeared with Molleena, both attired in cleaning dresses. Milsy opened the door and looked inside. Apart from the guardsman on duty the chamber was completely empty, so she led the party into the chamber and gestured.

"Craftmaster, this is the pump. As you can see, it would normally be run by means of the treadmills. That new shaft," she gestured, "will permit the power of the steam engine to do the work instead, while leaving the wheels for emergency purposes."

Belvan studied the arrangement of wheels and pulleys and nodded. "As you say, Mistress. It is always wise, in such circumstances, to make some other provision in the event the steam engine is unable to function. I assume that the engine is the other side of that wall?"

"Aye, there is a courtyard which it has been placed in. This way."

She led them through the base of the tower and out the door which led to the courtyard.

Belvan saw the engine and led his men towards it.

"But it has been dismantled!"

"Aye," Milsy agreed. "After we found the bent link Craftsman Tarvan decided to strip it down completely to see if anything else was wrong. That was when we discovered that the injector was missing a part. It could not have provided more water to the boiler when it was needed."

"And all the parts you removed are still here? None have been taken away?"

"As far as I know no-one normally enters this courtyard, it is attended by guildsmen only when they have maintenance or other work to do. We did not remove anything, it should all still be here."

Belvan decided, "Then, as we have the parts laid out for us, we should check that all are here. Merion? If you would bring out the list of parts."

"Of course, Craftmaster."

The other two men found parts and brought them to be ticked off the list which Merion held. At the end Belvan nodded.

"It is as you say, Mistress. A secondary piston link and a reduction collar for the injector are missing, along with two links that appear to be bent."

"Master," Towdor said, "As it happens I have some of the parts for an injector in my bag. Do you remember, after that repair we did for the new furnace engine?"

"Aye, I do, Towdor. If you would see if you have the required part." Belvan turned to Milsy. "It is only partly a help. Someone will still have to go and fetch replacement links from the workshop."

"As you say, Craftmaster. But, if I may suggest, the rest of the engine can be rebuilt while we wait, can it not? The links are all external, after all."

"Indeed, Mistress, and it will save time for all of us." Belvan turned to the journeyman. "Kadaren, if I may ask you to return to our workshop and find those parts which will need to be replaced. I will give you a list of the part numbers so that there is no mistake. If not all are available, then bring what is there so that we may know straight away what is still required."

Towdor looked up from his bag. "Craftmaster, is this the part?"

Senidet brought the other injector parts and, with a little hand assembly, proved that the part fitted.

Belvan brushed a hand over his thinning hair. "That is a help indeed. So. Let me write a note for Kadaren and then we can begin to rebuild this engine." He shook his head. "Such an important engine, and in the palace, I should have been asked to supervise the assembly myself." His gaze narrowed. "Indeed! I begin to wonder why I was not, but that is a question for another day. Kadaren, attend."

After Kadaren departed, Belvan shook his head over the bent links.

"This is criminal! Any fool would have seen that these two would never fit together. I wonder at the force needed to make these bend so. See here, the bearing which should be set squarely in this one has been twisted." He studied the end of the link closely. "I wonder... we must needs remove the bearing, see if it can be of use. While the links are provided with the bearings already in place, they are very occasionally damaged during assembly."

He cast around, shaking his head. "We have need of a bench and a large enough vice to remove this. Of course none will be present out here, none would normally be needed."

Milsy said, "Craftmaster, if we may go to the guild workshop in the palace. I am sure that you will find something suitable there." She thought. "Do you have tools for that job? I do not know what is in the workshop but they certainly will have no tools yet for engines."

Milsy led the way back to the High Tower, where Kendo was waiting outside for them.

"Kendo, Craftmaster Belvan desires to go to the guild workshop. I can take him there, but it has now occured to me that someone may come in our absence and seek to interfere with what is out here. I am remiss, I should have asked for a special guard after what happened yesterday."

The guardsman replied, "Mistress, I should have thought of it myself but I did not suspect ill intent in what happened yesterday. I will leave two men here with instructions to permit only known palace guildsmen into the courtyard. Oh and, begging your pardon, any other of the guard, of course, about their duties."

"Indeed. We should be safe enough, with a reduced escort, going to the workshop in such a party as this."

"As you say, Mistress."

She led everyone through the corridors to the chamber where the guildsmen normally worked when they were not elsewhere in the building. Bassen was supervising a journeyman in measuring out planks of wood and he looked up with a smile as they entered.

"Mistress! What can we do for you? I thought you would be out in that courtyard with the new engine."

"We were, but Craftmaster Belvan desires the use of a bench and vice to work on one of the engine parts."

"Metalwork, then?" He pointed. "Craftmaster, if you go to that corner where the forge is, you will find two benches which may satisfy your needs. The metalsmiths who use them are elsewhere this morning, they will not take offense."

"My thanks to you, Bassen."

In the metalworking corner Belvan grunted with pleasure at the well-kept benches and tidy tool racks. "Aye, this will do, I deem. Towdor, I will need a mallet and a drift."

Belvan made the link ready in the vice while Towdor lifted down the largest mallet and a length of hard wood. The mallet would not strike the metal directly, Milsy knew, since it might damage the bearing. Instead, the wood would be used to drive the bearing out of the steel link.

The Craftmaster made short work of ejecting the bearing from the link and held it up to see if it was damaged.

"Craftmaster," Senidet ventured, "would it be possible to use this forge to straighten out the bent links?"

Belvan turned and stared at Senidet. "A perceptive question, and one that any not in the craft might ask. Indeed, it would be possible, but with such a small forge it is harder to control the temperature and thus the temper of the finished metal. In addition, straightening the link will involve hammering and that may slightly change its shape or size, which might affect how it fits all the other parts. Did you understand that, Mistress?"

"Aye, Craftmaster. My father is the smith of Blackstone and he has raised me alone since my mother died when I was young. I have learned much in his workshop and he has told me about tempering and distortion, though I could not do the work myself."

"Indeed! Now I understand why you are present today, Mistress." Milsy could see the man relax as he understood that Senidet had some knowledge of his craft. "In practice," he explained to them all, "the parts of steam engines such as we are preparing must needs be made to careful dimensions to ensure that all functions correctly. To do as you suggest would be permissible for an emergency repair, I deem, but otherwise such a damaged part would normally be melted down and the metal used again." He shook his head. "I would not wish to risk my life on such an unproven part unless there were no other choice."

"I understand, Craftmaster."

He handed the part to Senidet and she examined it closely before returning it.

"If I may look at the bearing, Craftmaster."

"Of course, Mistress."

She stuck a finger inside the bearing and turned it, noting the way that the balls also moved.

"That is very clever, Craftmaster."

"None of my doing, Mistress. Such bearings are yet another gift from Lady Garia, it seems. A simple idea yet someone has to have it first! Without this knowledge we would probably have spent some years with our customary hard and soft metal bearings, which wear constantly and have to be maintained and examined all the time."

"If I may ask, Craftmaster," she said, handing back the bearing, "what you mean by hard and soft bearings? For the work that my father customarily does, he had little need for such things."

" Why, Mistress, -"

Belvan and Senidet went into an earnest discussion about how bearings were supposed to work and why they always required attention. Milsy had half her own attention on the explanation and half on the design of the alarm system.

"We will still need to check them and grease them, of course," Belvan concluded, "but they should take less of our time and last very much longer, I deem."

"As you say. Thank you very much, Craftmaster. All is much clearer now."

They turned as there was a bustle behind them, to find Bassen entering carrying a bundle of long, thin wood sections followed by two apprentices, each at one end of a stack of planks. They all headed for one corner of the workshop where Bassen deposited his load and then directed the apprentices to lower theirs. The Senior Joiner looked up, saw them and smiled. He gave some further instructions to his team before walking across to join the group.

"Mistress Senidet! By your leave, Milsy, I shall not take up much of your valuable time. I have been thinking about those grooved strips we spoke of the other day. It occurs to me that the grooves need not be as wide as those I use for the drawer bases, so I have asked one of our metalsmiths to make me some narrower blades. Also, the strips could be made much longer which would mean fewer joints, do you not agree? And considering how short we are of joint blocks these days, having fewer joints is preferable."

"It is as you say, Master Bassen."

"If you and Milsy could tell me how long the strips might be. Some of the wood we have just brought in might be suitable, should we have any left over."

"What do you think, Milsy? Two strides? Three?"

Milsy thought. "It is a little early to be thinking of such things now, but considering how far it is down to the guard posts at the bottom of the field..." She considered. "Aye. Three should be ample, Bassen. Any longer and we could have problems fixing such a length to any wall."

"Ah, of course, Milsy. As you say, three strides it will be, then. Of course, you may always saw off shorter lengths as required." Bassen scratched his chin. "Fixing... I had not considered that problem! To fix such a strip to a wood wall will be very different than attaching it to stone, which of course we must needs do along the field." He looked at Milsy and waved a hand while smiling. "If you would give me leave to consider the matter, Milsy. I will have a word with Kornik to discuss alternatives."

Belvar watched this exchange with amazement. Once Bassen had returned to his team he remarked to Milsy, "Mistress, I remain astonished by the things that you and Senidet do and devise! If you can both do such things, what may our other women folk be capable of? We must needs reconsider our whole way of life, I deem."

"Craftmaster," Milsy replied, "I believe that neither Senidet nor I are typical of womankind so you need have no fear of your jobs - just yet! However, we are two, there will be others, change is sure to come to Anmar eventually. As well as our customary duties we will be needed to make all the new things that are being introduced as the result of Lady Garia's knowledge."

"Aye, as you say. Mistresses, I believe that we are finished here, so we should return to the engine now."

There was a noise so all turned to see Fulvin crossing the room towards the group.

"Craftmaster," Milsy spoke, "if I may introduce Fulvin, the Court Jeweler, though he has additional interests these days. Master Fulvin, these are Craftmaster Belvar and his assistants who attend the new steam engine today."

Belvar nodded. "Fulvin."

"Belvar. Good morning to you and your men. If I may have a quick word with Milsy here." Her eyes rolled. "I will not take much of your time."

"As you wish, Fulvin."

The Court Jeweler turned to Milsy. "Mistress, I recall that when you came to... ah, visit me recently, at the workshop in Pakh Lane, I showed to you the first zipper slide that I had made. I do not appear to be able to find it again. Would you know what happened to it? Did you give it back to me, or mayhap leave it on the workbench?"

Milsy had a slight feeling of guilt since she had not been sure whether the slide had been intended as a gift or just for her to look at. The answer, fortunately, was easy and true enough.

"Master Fulvin, I thought you had given me the slide as a sample. I recall that you rushed off then so I put it into my pouch and promptly forgot it was there... right until the next time I had occasion to speak with the King and Queen." She spread her hands. "I am sorry, I showed it to them to explain what you were doing in Pakh Lane and they still have it."

His face fell. "Oh. In that case I must needs assume that I shall never see it again and I will have to use another sample." He shrugged. "It was just a thought, Mistress. Thank you for your explanation. I'll leave you to your business, then. Craftmaster, Mistress."

Belvar's eyes nearly popped out as Fulvin walked off. "The Court Jeweler? Pakh Lane? Mistress, what on Anmar is he involved in?"

Milsy smiled. "Ah, that is a long story, Craftmaster. If I may tell you as we walk back to the engine."

"Of course." He gestured. "Lead the way, Mistress."

* * *

Belvar wiped his hands on an oily rag. To one side, Senidet was cleaning her own hands.

"That is as much as we may do today," he said to her. "I will admit, when I first arrived at your quarters and saw you I did not know what to think, but both you and Milsy have proved that you know almost as much as I do! My thanks to both of you for what you have done today."

He turned slightly and grinned at Milsy. "I have seen how busy you both are, but in other circumstances I would beg that you both join my own department! While you may not have the strength to turn the largest of our wrenches everything else you have attempted you have done with ease. I am just frustrated that Kadaren has not yet returned with our missing pieces. But for those we should have finished commissioning this engine today."

Senidet blushed freely while Milsy glowed with the praise. "Craftmaster," the latter said, "we are but ready to help, as always."

"And your help is valued, Mistress! I now appreciate what Hurdin and the others have been saying, that we must needs take notice of fully half our people whom we have sorely neglected, not realizing that many may be as able as we men claim to be." He gestured at the engine, steam issuing gently from the safety valve. "I would never have thought that we could do a portion of the commissioning with parts still missing but of course it is so. We have checked safety valve, regulator and water injector and proven that the sight glasses truly show what water is within. When the missing parts should appear, then -"

The door at the base of the High Tower opened and Kendo appeared. He spoke to the two guardsmen standing either side and then walked the short distance to join the group.

"Mistress, there is a woman from the kitchens who desires to speak with you. She has some kind of parcel."

Milsy looked at Senidet who shrugged.

"I don't really know anyone from the kitchens," Milsy told Kendo. "Is she on her own?"

"Aye, Mistress."

"Send her over, then."

The woman who approached was well-sized and had muscles to match. Milsy had known a few like her in the castle kitchens and wondered what problem had surfaced now. Not the kitchen clock, surely? They hadn't even managed to get that working yet!

"Mistress." The woman dipped - very slightly. "I am Bennet, I am one of the kitchen staff. You may appreciate that because of my build I am sometimes asked to move heavy items around in our stores, so that older consignments are used before newer stock."

Milsy nodded. "Pleased to meet you, Bennet. I know exactly what you mean. I used to work in Dekarran's kitchens before I was transferred to the palace. I have helped such shifting myself, though I have not your build."

Bennet's eyes widened slightly but she nodded. "Then you will understand, Mistress. While moving some sacks of vayter from one chamber to another, I found this. I knew from talk in the kitchen that you were today involved in something to do with," she gestured at the steam engine, "I know not what, so I wondered if it was important."

She handed over a sack which, although it looked like a normal vegetable sack of rough cloth, obviously contained something small and flat.

And which was heavy. Milsy opened it to reveal the missing part.

She spun. "Craftmaster, here it is! This is the missing link!"

Belvar's eyes lit up as she handed the sack to him. Milsy's eyes narrowed, however, and she turned back to Bennet.

"A question, if you please. Were you around when the parts for this engine were delivered? I know that they had to take the thing apart to get it into this courtyard, which way did they bring the pieces, do you know?"

Bennet nodded. "Aye, Mistress, I had a job helping to unload some fresh produce from wagons the day they brought that... what is that?"

"It is named a steam engine, Bennet. It may look large and complicated but really it is little more than a gigantic kettle with some pipes attached to take away the steam."

"Do you tell me? Ah, where was I? Oh, yes, they brought the parts on a wagon, of course, into the same courtyard we were in, but that big round thing would not fit through the double doors into the corridor. They had to lower it to the ground and unscrew? Is that right? They took off some of those parts I see." She shrugged. "I did not see what they did, I was busy with my own business." She added thoughtfully, "However, I do know that their route would have taken them past the chamber where I found this."

"Interesting. Was it on top of the sacks or hidden in some way?"

"It was right at the back, Mistress. It could have been thrown from the doorway, from which it would have tumbled down behind the pile of sacks."

"Craftmaster, this more or less confirms that what was done was deliberate."

"As you say, Milsy." Belvar's expression was grim. "I will have words with Parrel when next we meet. There is some malign influence at work within the metalsmiths, I deem."

"Can we fit the part, Craftmaster?"

"I regret not, Milsy. Remember, the two pieces which went either side of this one were bent and must needs be replaced. It is those upon which we await Kadaren's return."

Bennet commented to Milsy, "You said that you were of the kitchens in Dekarran. I assume you speak of the castle."

The safety valve suddenly let off with a loud hiss and the guildsmen went to intervene. Milsy turned to Bennet with a gesture.

"Let us go over here where we can hear ourselves speak."

They walked to a corner of the courtyard. Bursila watched curiously but did not interfere.

"Aye, I was born there," she confirmed, "I grew up there, spent all my time inside its walls. I was just a scrubber of pots and peeler of vegetables and fruits before -"

Milsy stopped. How much of her story could she tell? The palace kitchens were notorious for gossip and the way it could become distorted from one side of a room to the other.

"Before what, Mistress? Before you came here? If I may ask, how did you manage that feat? Did you see Lady Garia and wish to follow her example?"

Milsy giggled. "Not exactly. You may have noticed my size and my hairstyle."

"Of course, just as many of the younger servants have now adopted Lady Garia's style." Bennet's gaze narrowed. "You and she could be mistaken one for the other, I deem."

"What I am about to tell you should not be repeated in the kitchen, understand? And I know exactly what happens to gossip in kitchens!"

Bennet regarded Milsy with some annoyance. "Mistress, I am not what you think. Indeed, I grow weary of the tittle-tattle in the kitchens and, with the example of Danisa before me, intend to join the Palace Guard, should Captain Merek accept my arguments."

"My apologies, Bennet. I do know what kitchens are like! The Queen summoned me in Dekarran and asked me to pretend to be Lady Garia when she went north, such that any assailants might think she returned to the palace instead. I returned in her place and when I arrived I met Tarvan, who showed me a future I could never have dreamed of. Bennet, go you to the guard. We women may do so much more than any had believed, Lady Garia did but uncover the truth."

"Ah, so the rumors were true, then! Mistress, I have seen whom I thought was Lady Garia a time or two in passing and did not think that it might be another. When the battle was announced and it was proven that she was elsewhere, no-one could understand how she could be two places at the same time."

Milsy grinned. "Exactly! Since no-one knew who was where, or could prove it, that would cause confusion to her enemies." The grin disappeared. "Of course that meant that I was in danger instead. Unlike her I do not know how to fight, thus the guardsmen who must needs trail me everywhere."

"Mistress, one day I trust that, if the danger should remain, you will have women like me to escort you."

Bursila pointed. "Here he is, Craftmaster!"

Kadaren had come through the door and was heading their way. He was carrying something wrapped in cloth, but not a sack. Milsy and Bennet returned to the others as Belvar went to meet him.

"Craftmaster, I apologize for the delay. There were on the shelves enough parts to replace those that were bent and I have brought one of each as required. The link which should join them, though," he shook his head, "there was such a part there but it had no bearings and there were none to spare. We are promised such a part with bearings by the day after tomorrow, no later than the tenth bell."

Belvar beamed broadly. "Kadaren, you have done well but fortunately there will be no need for us to wait two days and then return with that part." He gestured at Bennet. "If I may introduce a member of the kitchen staff, this is Bennet. By chance she was moving sacks of vegetables and discovered our missing link for us. Here it is!"

He opened the sack and showed the link to Kadaren, who was suitably amazed. Belvar then turned to Milsy.

"Mistress, while I no longer doubt your abilities at all, nor those of Senidet, if you should permit us to complete the engine. We are familiar with this engine design, we may work a little faster than you and she might. If we do not tarry, we can complete the commissioning tonight."

Milsy gestured. "Of course, Craftmaster."

The palace clock sounded and Bennet looked up. "It is so clear here! Sometimes, when we are busy in the kitchens, we may barely hear the bells. Mistress, you obviously have talents I do not, if you would hurry up and connect that clock you are installing in the kitchens. We are in sore need of it."

"Well, there is some kind of problem and I'm waiting to ask Lady Garia how to solve it." Milsy shrugged. "Until then, I regret, you'll just have to manage as before."

"Mistress, should I join the Palace Guard as expected I will no longer be in need of the kitchen clock, though I know that others will. If that is the time then, by your leave, I must return to my duties." A tiny bob again. "Mistress."

"Of course. I know how awkward kitchen managers can be. Good luck getting into the guard."

Milsy watched Bennet march off across the courtyard before walking back to join Bursila, Senidet and Molleena.

"Trouble, Mistress?"

"What? Oh, no, Bursila. Bennet is going to join the guard, she has the build for it where I do not. I think she is content with the work in the kitchens but not the gossip."

"Ah, I understand, Mistress. I believe that Master Belvan is almost finished. Aye, look, he is turning the flywheel to check that nothing binds."

They watched while the guildsmen ran through some further checks before Belvar beckoned them over.

"Mistresses, I believe that all is now functioning as it is intended. Since you have all been of such help I would ask one of you to pull the regulator arm to start the engine turning."

Milsy turned to Senidet. "Why not? Go on, do it, you might never have another chance."

"Milsy, are you sure? It is not my place."

Belvar said, "Senidet, you are right, it would not normally be your place since you are yet accounted apprentice. This time, however, the circumstances are unusual, we are all here, there is very little that can go wrong. Please, honor us by starting the engine."

Milsy added, "Go on, you have started the engine in the laboratory before, this is just the same."

Senidet had to use both hands to pull the lever. There was a deep-throated chuff, followed by another, and as the lever advanced the wheels began to spin faster and faster.

"That will be enough for now, Senidet," Belvar stated. "Let us make certain there is no fault, no bearing left unlubricated perhaps, before we go much further. Of course, there is yet no load upon the engine, it may be completely different once the treadmill wheels are connected."

They group stood there and watched the engine chuff away, puffs of smoke rising into the sky beside the High Tower. The belt linking the axle to the overhead shaft hummed as it rotated the shaft.

Then Senidet started. "If I may be excused, Mistress."

"What is it?"

"I must check..."

Without another word she ran towards the tower door and disappeared inside. Milsy looked at Bursila who shrugged. Molleena was torn between remaining and sprinting after her mistress. Shortly Senidet returned and walked briskly back to them.

"Craftmaster, the shaft turns but it is turning the wrong way. If the buckets had been connected there would have been chaos."

"Indeed!" Belvar looked at his men. "Did we have a drawing to show the installation of that shaft?"

"Master," Merion replied, "I have seen no such document. If it existed it has been taken by those men."

Milsy had a horrible thought. "Master Belvar, does this mean that the whole engine has been installed the wrong way round? If so, we must needs dismantle it completely and rebuild it again!"

Belvar stared at the arrangement and then smiled. "Milsy, Senidet, you may both be right. Until we find that drawing, or a like copy, we will not know the truth. But there is no cause for concern. Senidet, if you would push the regulator lever closed."

"As you command, Craftmaster."

Senidet needed help to push the lever closed and the engine wheezed to a stop. She turned to Belvar for further instructions.

"Now keep pushing."

There was a chuff and the wheels began turning again but in the other direction.

"Oh! I see! Of course, I had forgotten that!" Senidet understood the truth. "The engine can go in either direction, but normally we only make it go one way."

"Exactly, Senidet. When we have made certain that all is working as it should, and can draw water from below and send it above, then I will have a plate fixed so that the lever can only be moved one way, understand?"

"As you say, Craftmaster."

"Then, since we have made the engine work as designed, I suggest that we stop it now and tidy up. By the time we have done that, I expect that you ladies must needs retire and make yourselves ready for your evening meal, is that not so?"

Milsy turned. "Bursila?"

"It is as the Craftmaster describes, Mistress."

"Senidet, stop the engine!"

up
142 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sabotage in the palace!!

Sabotage in the palace!! Is someone in the crafts a Yod agent or are there still unknown agents working in the palace.

Although we know somewhat how the future turns out, there are still things we don’t know. So stories like ‘What Milsy did’ and ‘Julina of Blackstone’ are still interesting reads need to fill in those blanks.

Jeri Elaine

Homonyms, synonyms, heterographs, contractions, slang, colloquialisms, clichés, spoonerisms, and plain old misspellings are the bane of writers, but the art and magic of the story is in the telling not in the spelling.

Julia

Julia has been quiet for some while. I know she had a bad bout of Covid and struggled to recover.

The last message I had was 30th October, since then, nothing.

P.

I hope she's ok

I hope she's ok

Same here

I caught it past October for the first time when after getting vaccinated I took the calculated risk of traveling for the first time since covid started but caught it anyway when a woman coughed right at me within like two feet away.

I caught a relatively mild case luckily but even that is taking over a month to get over and even some extended consequences such as a big jump in alopecia has happened is still not abated yet.

Hope she has been cautious and survives it.

In the mean time, does anybody know who will continue her archivist duties for Anmar related?

I mean even with people who

I mean even with people who survive it, i've seen cases where people have gone quiet for months before they get back into the swing of things

there's a lot that could be

there's a lot that could be wrong with the engine, if they have them, I would replace all the fusile plugs for starters.

The missing link

The missing link has been found! Congratulations.

Did you do that deliberately?

Milsy!!!

Teek's picture

Oh, how I love the adventures of Milsy. Thanks for sharing another Milsy chapter with us.

Sabotage, serious issues here. This isn't an attack on Garia or Milsy. It is on the castle and the King.

Milsy fighting for her position in the world. This I can understand. Growing up with a disability, I was often immediately dismissed, ignored, or considered too stupid to understand. The hard part here is to develop as an individual without developing a chip on her shoulder. At the moment, it is looking like she is developing that chip. I just hope she can find a way to develop above all the ignorance and stupidity of the men around her, discovering that fighting smarter is better than fighting harder. She does have an advantage. She is a woman, and we tend to use our brains more when we fight. Once she connects that the Guildmen respect knowledge and skill, she will have a better idea how to address the ignorant men. She is learning how to be strong and forceful, without looking like a spoiled child. These Guildmen come around once they see her skills, abilities, and how others respect her superior knowledge. Milsy will see this (hopefully sooner than later).

Thanks ever so much for a Milsy chapter.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek