Cuz - You look good. Part 5 of 8

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 5

As they walked into the office, Sue was on the phone. She looked at them, smiled, and said, “I see what you mean,” then put the phone down.

“That was the duty sergeant. He wanted to know if we now had a new branch – the Fashion Police. You both look a bit different. Very elegant and absolutely right for the job I have for you, tonight. That’s if you haven’t got a couple of seats booked at the ballet. That outfit looks good on you, Maria, maybe a little more expensive than your weekly outfits.”

“Thank you, boss. You want us to do something else?”

“Yes, something very urgent and very important. First, though, what did Entwhistle say?”

Andy put the recorder on her desk and turned it on, at the start. Sue listened to it while he went to the store area, got another, and checked that it had a good battery. When he got back to her desk, she told the two of them what was intended.

“That, my friends, is ideal. Terry and I will do the official interview. What he has said, already, has cooked his goose. I hope you suggested that confession is good for the soul?”

“Oh, yes. I think that he’s hoping to get out before he dies. If what he says about the knife pans out, we could get him a short sentence.”

“We’ll work on that. Which brings us to the task we have for you. The wife made a few calls, last night. Entwhistle was the last, but before that she rang several numbers in India, as well as Air India bookings. The flight leaves the local airport at a quarter to eight, and they’re in first class. They have to be at the airport to check in a couple of hours prior, to go through all the checks. I want you two to arrest them.”

“Thank you, Cuz, we won’t let you down. Have you any idea of where we do this, somewhere in full view or quietly?”

“You’ll do the actual arrest in a side room. You can wait until the flight is called; the Air India people will lead them to a corridor where there are side rooms. You both look good enough to be in the First-Class Lounge when they arrive, then follow them until they are diverted. I’ve warned our friendly reporter to be in the public area so that he can get good pictures as you lead them out. We’ll organise some uniformed to join you, then they will bring them here. The luggage will be diverted from the loading conveyor and will be waiting for you to add it to their carry-on things. Uniformed will have a van for it. It will have to be opened by FSI. As soon as they leave their house, Sky, and a team of FSI will enter the house on a search warrant and look for the knife. With Entwhistle owning up that it was his, with his prints on it, we can then plead that he had got rid of the body because he was being blackmailed. If they find it, they’ll give you a call. Now, get off and get something to eat.”

Back in the car, Maria was deep in thought.

“Penny for them?”

“I’m wondering what else this day will bring. I’ve kissed you, been treated to a wonderful outfit, made an arrest in a murder investigation and now we’re off to arrest the likely murderer. I think that dinner is on me, tonight, and there is a place on the way to the airport, the Harvester at Hatchford Brook. I’ll give them a call and see if we can get a table.”

She found the number to call, and managed to get them a table at five, saying that they needed to be at the airport. She turned to Andy.

“It looks like we have a couple of hours to kill. Have you got any ideas?”

“Just the one, my place is closer.”

“Right, let’s go and fornicate. I must say that I’m already looking forward to it.”

At five, it was a very different couple that sat down for an early dinner at the Harvest. They looked into each other’s eyes and smiled a lot. Maria paid, once they had finished, and they went into work mode. At the airport, they spoke to the Air India supervisor and arranged the course of events. They were sitting in the First-Class lounge, with drinks in front of them, when the targets came in. Andy had to smile, as the wife was well and truly in charge, the husband following orders as she decided where they would sit, and what they would have to drink. As they all sat, Maria’s phone vibrated and she listened to Sky as he told her that the only thing left in the safe was the knife, in a plastic bag, and it was already on its way to the FSI lab.

When the flight was called, Andy and Maria waited until the others were being led to a doorway and stood to follow them. When they were in the corridor, the wife realised that something wasn’t right and started to complain that this wasn’t the usual way to the aircraft. The steward told them that it was a special way for good customers, opened a door and ushered them into an office, where two uniformed police waited.

“What’s this, take us to the plane, immediately. I’ll talk to your supervisor!”

Andy cleared his throat. “I’m afraid that this is where your flight ends, madam. I am Detective Andrew Barton; my partner is Detective Maria Holdcroft. We are arresting you in relation to the death of your first husband, Syd Singh. Anything you say will be recorded and used in evidence. This arrest is being filmed on those officer’s chest cameras. Would you please put your bags down and then put your arms out so they can handcuff you.”

The husband seemed to expand upwards as he looked at his wife.

“So, a quick business trip to see some suppliers? No wonder you’ve been running around at double speed since that reporter came by. I was thinking that you hadn’t got anything to worry about until those other detectives came by. I wondered why we were suddenly jetting off. You never helped in the shops, only wanting to live the life of a grand dame, ordering me about. It’s me that built up the business; it’s me that made us rich. All the time I was sorry for you after your husband had left you. Now I find that you killed him.”

“Oh, you silly little man. They haven’t got anything on me. I can give them the name of the guy who killed my Syd for the money he was carrying. I’ve even got evidence that will sink the stupid bastard.”

“I’m sorry, ma-am, but you don’t have that evidence that you think will save you,” said Maria. “We have it, and we also have the man whose fingerprints are on it. He has made a full statement outlining the way that you blackmailed him into dumping the car with your husband’s body in it.”

“What do you mean, you have the knife. Did you break into my house? I’ll see you in court!”

Andy just had to laugh. “That is exactly where you’ll see us, next. Take them out.”

The uniformed officers led the handcuffed couple towards the public area, Andy and Maria following with the hand luggage on a trolley. Jackson was the first to see them and nudged his photographer to start shooting. They followed the couple as they were put into two squad cars to be driven to the station. Andy collected the rest of the luggage to load it into the van. He was amazed by the sheer number of cases, and the weight of them. He guessed that she had paid several hundred pounds in excess weight. Jackson wanted some words, but they referred him to Susan, Monday.

“So, partner, that’s our job done. Two days in the job and you’ve arrested your first murderer. How does it feel?”

“It feels so good, I want to take my favourite girl dancing, it’s Saturday and the night is still young. There’s a club where we can smooch in the dark, have a few drinks and then wonder what we want to do then. One thing I do know; and that is that I want to wake up with you by my side on Sunday morning.”

“What say we leave the dancing part out of the equation and go straight to the main business. We can go via my place, so that I can pick up something to wear in the morning. We need to allow us some time to get some sleep. It’s been a big day.”

On Sunday morning, they were in Andy’s bed, cuddling, when Maria thought of something other than sex.

“Yesterday, at the dress shop, you told Collette to put my outfit on your account. How come you have an account there? Do you have another place, filled with women’s wear?”

“No other place, my sweet. The account is the owners account, which is part of the business. The way it was set up was that the shop is separate from my payment of the money that I was left. The shop is run as a separate entity, with all bills and costs coming out of the takings. After all that, the profit is split two ways. One half goes into the business account to pay for new stock and the other costs. The other half goes into the owners account. Collette has access to that if something comes up that the business can’t pay for. I can’t draw on it until I take over, but I can buy you nice things with it. Collette will charge anything I buy at cost. It does mean that I can ask Collette to buy in menswear in my size, which comes out of that account. That’s how I have some good quality things, including that expensive suit.”

“Why don’t you have a car? You taxi or bus everywhere.”

“I do have a car. It’s at my Aunt’s house, in her garage. In fact, I have two. Both were bought at auctions, by my dad. One’s a Wolseley 6/80 in full kit, bell, and all. He used to take it to rallies. It was one of the cars he started with, in traffic.”

“And the other one?”

“That one is a lot newer. He picked it up from the Northumbria police auctions, as a damaged vehicle. He had it repaired and got it resprayed at the same time. It’s a bit over the top, an Audi A4 Quattro with pursuit motor upgrades. It scares the life out of me to drive it on the city streets; it’s so responsive and you need to have done a pursuit course to handle it right. When he got it, they had removed all the special additions, but he did have a set of grill lights and a two-tone siren which he fitted. It doesn’t have a radio, or police computer, or a roof array, but we did have fun, one day on the M1 using the blues and twos.”

“I did a pursuit course, before I made it into CID. Can we go out for a drive, somewhere. I can meet your Auntie as well.”

They roused themselves, after some kisses, and took turns in the shower. Seeing that they would be going out in a pseudo-police car, Andy put on a mainly black outfit, while Maria had brought grey slacks and jacket, over a black blouse. They took her car to where his Aunt lived, in a detached house in Shelly Green, Solihull. Andy had called to let her know that he was coming over. The house was just set back from the A34 and when Maria stopped outside, she could see a car, in the drive, with a cover over it.

“That’s the Audi. The other one is in the garage. I’ve got an idea. If the cover fits this, we can swap the cars for a little while and give the Audi a bit of a run.”

Maria met his Aunt, they had the obligatory pot of tea and cake, then spent an hour before the Aunt was satisfied that Maria was good enough for her favourite nephew. Then they took the cover off the mustard-coloured Audi and coaxed it into life. Maria got in and carefully backed it into the street, then they transferred all of her things, before putting her car on the drive and struggling with the cover. After hugs and kisses and the promise that they wouldn’t be strangers, they got into the Audi, now nicely warmed up, and Maria drove them to the A34, going a short way before pulling off to the Tesco Service Station to top it up.

After that, she took them onto the M42, and they went south to join the M40 to let the car have its head. Andy could see her smile widen as she took them up to the seventy miles an hour speed limit. At one point, near Warmington, they came up behind two slower cars which were side-by-side, with teens hanging out the windows, shouting at each other. Maria looked at Andy, who nodded and reach his hand out to the two switches in the centre consol. He flicked them both and the siren started. As the car on the outer lane sped up and pulled over, he turned the siren off but kept the lights on as they passed, with Andy giving the other drivers a friendly wave as they pulled alongside, then Maria put her foot down and the Audi leapt away from the other cars like a startled gazelle. She took it up to a hundred in short order, then backed off when they were well in front. Andy switched off the lights and they both started giggling.

“Andy, my love, you know just how to make a girl happy, in more ways than one.”

They stopped in Banbury for a lunch at one of those pub chains where you don’t get anything really good, but don’t get anything really bad, either. After a stroll in the town, and pictures taken by the famous Cross, they went onto the A423 to Coventry, Andy driving this time, Maria with her arm across the seats and her hand on his shoulder.

On the way, they spoke about their future. Maria suggested that they move into her place, seeing that it had driveway parking. Andy agreed, so they went to his place and carried most of his things to the car, turning off the fridge and putting its contents into a bag. He shut off the power and locked up. At her home, they loaded all of his things into spare cupboards and drawers, then christened her bed before she made them an evening meal, both in dressing gowns, ready, and willing, for another evening session.

Monday morning, they were in the office before most of the team. Terry was there, looking at paperwork, as they walked in.

“Good morning, crime busters. That was a good weekend. We’ve let Entwhistle go, with a warning not to leave town. The husband had nothing to do with the murder, he didn’t start at the supermarket until five years later and was a long way away before that. The wife is still screaming blue murder, but her lawyer has looked at what we’ve got so is likely to plead a crime of passion, to get a short sentence. Whatever happens to her, the husband is now the owner of a string of supermarkets which he already has plans for. He will be helped by the cash that was in her cases, not counting the jewellery. After the tax man has had a look at his books, he’ll still be a rich man and free of her. Not a bad outcome for a guy who was only given his detective card on Friday. I think you may have created a record.”

When the team were all in, Susan brought them up to date with that case, and the two of them had a short round of applause. She then brought them all up to date with the castrated bodies case.

“What we have now, is that bag that came out of Edgbaston had the clothing and ID for Jason Worthington, aged 26, and he was a local, from Rotton Park. Andy and Maria, this is yours. You also have the two bodies from the Pool at Codsall Wood. The guy, we know, was a Swedish National, Sven Erikson, and the girl was a druggy, Aneka Amundson. The address is here, although it was a rental and is likely to have been cleaned out. You two can follow that up to see where they used to work and hang out. The owner of the Astra was Jordan Franklin, a truck driver who has an explosives transport licence. He is worth talking to, as well. The Ryton Park victim we know, and the sack gave up no more information, neither did the sack taken from Moseley Wood. The places left are Chelmarsh, where there should be two sacks, with another two from Draycote Water, with the builder’s son found near the Remembrance Gardens, and the other by the Bird Hide. The only access to both sites is the National Cycle Route and the water is pretty shallow.”

“If that’s the case, boss, Andy, and I can do that one with a couple of the divers, in waders. We can get the council to lend us a park groundsman truck that they use to look after the gardens.”

“That’s a good idea, without the circus that Edgbaston created. Chelmarsh can be done disguised as an inspection of the dam wall, both bodies found near the road to the sailing club. That could take a while, as the dumps were some way apart. I’ll see if the divers can do that as a favour to the council, in full view but hidden. That just leaves a dive in Sutton Park. That one was near the Pedal Boat hire, so we need to do that in an evening, after closing the roadway to their bit of riverbank. We can take a little while, planning these, and I want you two to follow up on the names we know. None of them have any record, so they’re all clean-living, law-abiding, bodybuilders who have all turned up dead. The rest of you, business as usual, now, let’s get moving, chop-chop!”

Andy picked up the files, plus a couple more recorders, while Maria wrote up the official report of the Edgbaston dive and following consequences. He had his nose buried in the files when she had finished. He co-signed the report, gathered his things and they went out to the car. The first stop was at Rotton Park. Here, they had to break the news to Jason’s parents that their son was now identified as the body that had been found near the reservoir, over a year before. They had left his room as it was, in case he came back, and allowed them to search it carefully. He had a girlfriend, at the time, and they found a name and address for her. Otherwise, the room was typical for a manly male, a bit untidy.

After leaving the parents, with instructions on how to gain access to the body in the morgue, they went to the address of the girlfriend, only to be re-directed to the café where she worked. They took the opportunity to order a coffee as they asked for Belle. She was the waitress and sat at their table as they drank their coffees and asked her about her time with Jason. She had a little cry when she was told that he had been dead more than a year.

“He was a lovely guy, big and tough but kept himself in check. We went to a few good restaurants, I don’t know how he could afford it, but we had some lovely meals. Just before he disappeared, he told me that he had found a great new place and was going to check it out before he would take me there. I was beginning to think about a wedding day and couldn’t believe it when I didn’t see him again. I thought he may have run off with Mary Greensborough, she was hovering around him, trying to take him away. She worked in a team at Maccy D’s fast food. I haven’t seen her since about the same time.”

Back in the car, Andy rang the office and gave this new name to Doggy, then they were off to talk to the Astra owner. They had called him and found out that he would be at the truck depot, all day, as he doubled as a diesel mechanic. On the way, Doggy rang Andy to tell him that Mary Greensborough, former fast-food worker, had been found in a parking bay, naked, raped, and strangled, in the industrial area at Tamworth, a long, distance from home, and two days before Jason had turned up next to the reservoir.

“Doggy, can you please set up a local map, with all these dump points with pins. It looks like a pattern is forming, with the guys being dumped in special places, and the girls being just discarded. We could be looking for a gay guy who considered them as trash.”

The owner of the Astra was happy enough to talk to them. He had reported it stolen and had been paid out by the insurance company, now the legal owner of the wreck.

“I don’t know how I can help you, officers. One minute it was there, next day it was gone.”

“With the keys in it, sir. I don’t believe you. Did you know Sven Erikson and Aneka Amundson?”

“You’ve found it? Where was it? I don’t want it back, though. What about Sven?”

“That’s my question to you, Jordan. You loaned him the car and that’s the last you saw of him, isn’t that the true story?”

“Does that put me up as lying to the insurance company? I was sure that it was gone but I didn’t want to put Sven into any sort of trouble. I wouldn’t have worried about that skank he went around with; she was heading for prison as soon as someone tested her blood. He was a good guy, drove a truck for us for a couple of months. His only complaint was that there wasn’t anywhere decent to get Swedish food in this town. He had some weird ideas about food, some of the meals he described almost made me want to chuck. I was sure that he went off somewhere and the car would be found in a carpark, a long way from here.”

“I have to tell you, sir, that the car has been found, not that far away, and near where Sven was found, nine months ago. The car contained his clothes and his girlfriend. It had been under water all that time. Now, can you please come with us to Aston Station, where you will be asked more questions, under caution. I suggest that on the way, you try and remember everything you can. Any detail can be important in helping to catch their murderers.”

Maria rang Sue to tell her that they were on their way, and Andy got in the back with Jordan, now sweating as he realised that it was far more serious than he had imagined. They left Jordan with the duty sergeant to take to an interview room, then went upstairs to give Susan the recorder with what had been said. She would do the interview later in the day.

Back in the car, they went to have lunch before they went to find where Svens belongings had ended up. His rooms had, of course, been cleared, cleaned, and relet ages before, but the belongings were still in a storeroom. Andy wrote out a receipt for the building manager and they put everything in the car, to take to the FSI lab.

“Andy, where did Doggy say that the girl was found, at Tamworth. I’ve only ever been to the big box stores there. There’s a big B&M, and a bedding place, but most of the area is industrial, mainly transport and engineering.”

“He said it wasn’t far from the B&M, but out of sight in a cul-de-sac off Claymore. She was there when the late shift in one of the buildings left work, about one in the morning.”

“We’ve got some time, so we can go and have a look at that dump site, it’s now the only one we haven’t seen and, strangely, the only one that’s not near any water. I’d say that if she was with Jason, when he was taken, it was someone else that dumped her. She just doesn’t fit the others. The original investigation was on the lines of a straight rape and murder. Perhaps we’ll find something that they missed if we cruise around.”

Marianne Gregory © 2023

up
157 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The old saying about dealing with the law……

D. Eden's picture

Is be very careful - once they start digging, you never know how far they will go, or just what exactly will turn up.

Investigations like this are kind of like revolutions; it’s a lot easier to start one than it is to stop it. They tend to grow a life of their own.

This case seems to be a classic example of that. They have already uncovered another unrelated murder, who knows what will come out of the interrogation with the owner of the Astra, and now they have tied in a rape and murder that was thought to be completely separate as well.

This investigation seems to be turning over a lot of rocks and uncovering a lot of slimy characters.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

The Simplest

joannebarbarella's picture

Is the truth. When you have to remember to keep the lies straight you are in trouble. This case has tentacles spreading in all directions.

You still have me hooked Marianne. Can't wait for the next chapter.

My name is Andy . . .

SuziAuchentiber's picture

I carry a badge.
Loving this story as it gives so much on so many different levels - relationships, crime, gender and dedication to task.
Marianne, you are a great writer - your factual detail shows many hours of investigation and checking and I am so impressed by your talents!!
Just three more chapters? I'm hooked !
Hugs & Kudos!

Suzi

Pieces leading to pieces...

Jamie Lee's picture

Every time they find one clue, it leads to another clue. But what clue will they discover that draws all the pieces together? And who senses they are getting closer and feeling threatened enough to start going after the team members?

Others have feelings too.

I don't do Adultery

Good story, well written, but she has betrayed her husband. That's the end of it.

Gwen