Body dysmorphic disorder

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

I have heard this term being used in the context of transgender people, and I know at least one person who has undergone more than 70,000 dollars worth of surgeries and treatments, not counting SRS, and still inst happy with herself. Any opinions?

Ba dum bum

erin's picture

That's like the guy in Missouri who has been hit by lightning six times. You have to ask, why doesn't he just move someplace else?

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

there is a name for this

illness, but it escapes me for now. It's what keeps plastic surgeons in business. And the pressure society puts on "pretty" is scary. Look at the professional athletes and movie stars. Stop and think. Are they really worth all that money to play a game or provide a few minutes entertainment? And carry all that influence? Role models that use drugs and get stupid whenever they wish. I think not. But then, I'm an old, antiquated, stuck in my ways, arsehole, and don't care who knows it. And don't get me started on anyone political. They are in it for the money and the powertrip. Pro sports, "starts" and others have way too much influence on the members of society, why else would people pay a couple hundred bucks for a pair of 4.00 sneakers, or spend the money on clothes they do.

I've met people like this

At least one was a narcissist. It's not really about gender identity so much as being obsessed with needing to have a certain look. The saddest part of this IMHO is that they will never be happy. There will always be something wrong, some other procedure needed to make them 'perfect.'

I wonder if the news stories about people who try to change back after surgery aren't in that category. Most of those had bypassed the standards of care set up by Benjamin. Yeah, it's a pain sometimes to have to jump through the gatekeeper's hoops, but the standards are there for the patient's protection, too.

It must really be sad to be driven like that. Tough enough just being trans.

Janet

Mistress of the Guild of Evil [Strawberry] Blonde Proofreaders
TracyHide.png

To be or not to be... ask Schrodinger's cat.

Janet

Mistress of the Guild of Evil [Strawberry] Blonde Proofreaders
TracyHide.png

To be or not to be... ask Schrodinger's cat.

Body dysmorphic disorder

And there is a woman, or women who are obsessed in looking lie Barbie. But Barbie's measurements are totally unrealistic, according to some doctors.

Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

People who are Body

People who are Body Dysmorphic are often seen as plastic surgery junkies. They often have at least one procedure done each year. One I met through my therapists had three breast augmentations, 4 face lift procedures, a "body lift", body sculpting with liposuction, a nose job, Laser resurfacing, and was still wanting more changes. It is in the nature of a kind of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, just with trying to achieve a particular image, or sometimes, from a fear of aging. Kinda like Michael Jackson. Usually the person focuses on a particular physical attribute at a time, like deciding if they could just modify their nose they would be perfect, then move on to other attributes. There are also BDD folks who want parts of their body amputated, like legs, fingers, etc., sometimes thinking there is something wrong with having them, and a few doctors that will remove healthy limbs under the same concept as SRS. Usually the people with an amputation fixation do not stop with just one thing, but want more body parts removed, as the plastic surgery junkies also want just one more thing modified.

There are people, like Dr. Ray Blanchard at the CAMH in Canada, who attribute being TS to being a kind of Body Dysmorphic Disorder in that TS want to be rid of their genitals as they were born. Along with that, many want to have Facial Feminization surgeries, and Breast Augmentation. At least the latter two surgeries are part of the social pressures mentioned previously for most, though for younger people it can be the desire to be competitive in the search for a mate by appearing as sexually desirable as possible. Having surgeries associated with being TS can be viewed as BDD, but TS are usually satisfied once they meet the criteria of society for being acceptable looking females and are no longer called "sir". Most do not continue to seek additional surgeries beyond what a normal woman might (face lift in the 50's, boob lifts, etc.). Not all use of plastic surgery is about BDD, and within our society there is the concept of aging gracefully. Or disgracefully in the case of Joan Rivers!!

CaroL

CaroL

If you thought I was weird before...

laika's picture

I'll admit that in addition to my gender dysphoria I have a touch of that amputee fixation thing. Jeez, wow, how weird is that?! Where the hell did THAT come from?! I ask myself...

Don't know, but it's been there since childhood. I don't talk about it often, don't want to put the transgendered in a bad light with my weirdness. And I'm just glad it isn't as overpowering or disturbing to my sense of self as my gender conflict is, that kind of "Gee if I just laid my legs across the tracks here I might survive-" that some people with BIID are driven to do. Am glad it isn't as constantly on my mind.

But what I'm NOT gonna do is be ashamed of it, it's something that simply happened to me (I don't think it's rooted in some Freudian gibblegabble) and I can't see that it makes me any more essentially screwed up than a lotta folks I see running around that don't have these bizarre & counterintuitive ideas & feelings...
~~hugs, Laika

HEAD CASE
A drabble about Body Image Disorder

Nobody understood him. Even the people in his BIID support group recoiled when he told them.
That in particular hurt. They were "trans-abled" like him. They were supposed to understand...

Finally he found a surgeon at a small clinic in Africa willing to do the deed.
The heart-lung machine and glucose drip would provide oxygen, sustainance.
The artificial kidney, his eliminative functions.

The next day he was in ecstacy. At last he was whole. What he was always meant to be!
A disembodied head!

But later, without much to do but look in the mirror, he started noticing his nose...

Asymmetry

I think this may be more common than most would think. The ones who have body issues about it to the point of seeking to amputate healthy limbs to feel normal seem to be rare though. However I think some people have an aesthetic appreciation for asymmetry. Personally I sometimes find scars adding to a person's beauty.

There was billboard near my home not that long ago that had a picture a cute surfer girl that lost her arm to a shark attack, and I couldn't help thinking that it somehow made her look better. Well maybe not better, but it didn't detract from her looks. I can't really explain why sometimes asymmetry adds to physical beauty instead of subtracting from it.

I agree with you that things like this don't often have a cause. It's just the way you were wired from birth.

I think there are several reasons why some transition

There are those that are really transsexual and follow the standards of care.Then there are some that really are transsexual but can't afford to follow the standards of care. Then there are others who have tons of money and do it to satisfy there sexual fetishes.I know plenty of transpeople and the only ones that scare me are the ones that think becoming a woman will cure all there problems and have fetishistic clothing tastes.Surgery is important but as a woman I don't want to be defined solely by whats between my legs!

Lisa440 I like your take the best.

I was TG from the day I hit the floor, Mom raised me as a girl until my stepfather put an end to it. I liked being a girl and never really felt right as long as I lived as a man. By the time I remembered what was bugging me, I had a wife and teen agers, so despite my unhappiness, I had decided to stay with my wife and live my life out that way. It's complicated and by the time I realised that transition was not for me, it was done, the family gone, my old life over. In April of last year, I tried going back to being a man, and just about got put in the pink slammer for an extended period.

I've finally accepted that for better or worse, I am a woman. No going back, no rewind. This person that is not happy, Yallah ! So, what is their main complaint? Maybe it is not being a woman at all, but they have not socially adjusted to being one. I am sorry, don't want to seem mean but being a woman is different things to different people. If they still want to sit around and watch football, smoke and fart and drink beer...

I'be interested to hear more of her story.

Khadijah

my take

for me, i went through a phase where I thought either surgery or more likely a magic wand is what I needed in order to be happy. I would wake up looking like a Disney princess and life would be perfect. But the more I have come to accept that my true identity was Dorothy, the less I feel like I need such extreme measures. While I am still planing a transition, and I still have days when I wish I could be "pretty", I realize now I have to try and be happy NOW, or even if i made those adjustments, I would still be miserable. It is a tight balance to maintain, to have a goal for the future, while still finding contentment in the present. But luckily, I have people who can keep me on the straight and narrow, including my friends here.

"Treat everyone you meet as though they had a sign on them that said "Fragile, under construction"

dorothycolleen

DogSig.png