going back to old stories

Printer-friendly version

Forums: 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

I have been considering going back through my older stories, and seeing if I can re-write them (hopefully, for the better). What do you guys think? Is there a story of mine that you would like to see me tackle again? and does anyone else ever think of doing this?

going back to old stories

Dorothy, many of us have revised older stories. I say , only do what feels right to you.

Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Old Stories

Don't fix what aint broke as the old saying goes just write some new stories for us to enjoy HUGS GIRLS RICHIE2

rewrite old stories

Personally... I don't think its proper to rewrite stories unless you wish to publish them somewhere where a more critical examination is required. Unless you feel you really failed to make your points.

Besides... how can people tell you're a good writer unless they see how bad you sucked way back when.

Dayna..

Um...

Maybe by seeing good writing? Seeing that someone once wrote badly (not saying that that is the case here, just following this rather nonsensical argument) doesn't impress. Good writing does. If Dorothy wishes to improve the quality of her stories, she is in no way obligated to maintain evidence of prior versions that she feels are, by comparison, less well written. Trying (in some bizarre way) to claim otherwise is like trying to put shackles on her, abhorrent and abominable. You would make a slave of someone who has generously contributed to the quality and culture of this site.

Why would it be "improper" for an author to rewrite her stories if she wishes? They're her stories for Hel's sake! If she wants to, she has every right. God's sake! What are you smoking?! None of what you said makes any sense whatsoever, and is immensely insulting.

Just when I was trying to get back into the flow of things here... Good Hel! >.< Sorry, Erin, but this just... It really rubs me the wrong way. With a harrow. I'll take it down, if you wish, but not right now.

-Liz

Successor to the LToC

-Liz

Successor to the LToC
Formerly known as "momonoimoto"

some do

kristina l s's picture

Personally I don't see any reason to, but each to their own. Each story is what it is, time and place. Something I wrote, say 4 years ago I wouldn't write now, or at least not in quite the same way. That's not good or bad, just the way it is for me. I sometimes go back and read one just to see and I'll almost always tweak a bit of grammar or fix a typo, but other than that.... If I'm writing something now it will be new or finishing something left behind, not a rewrite, life's too short.

That said, just my opinion and the story is always the authors so if you or anyone feels they need to revisit an oldie you're not happy with, go for it. Who knows, I may do just that some time, but right now...shrug... nah.

Kris

Rewriting old stories

There's nothing wrong, and a lot right with making improvements in an old story. There's satisfaction in doing one's best at anything.

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."

Mahatma Gandhi

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."

Mahatma Gandhi

Rewrite of stories

I think if you want to rewrite older stories that is fine. I have done it with my autobiography at StorySite. I did leave the older version up there also, which by the way is what I have posted here, ended up I liked the older version better. I prefer to leave all versions so that the readers can read what version they like better.

Why not?

If it were wrong to revise old stories, we wouldn't have an edit button.

I'm Contemplating

Oh . . . so that's why we have a . . . .

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)