The Voyage of the Visund -86-

Printer-friendly version

At Hamalbek the illness of the mystery man suddenly presents a problem. Is everybody else in the camp at risk? Ursula and the other healers struggle to find an answer with only their own experiences as a guide. Then there is a comment from an unexpected source...

grakh on parchment

The Voyage of the Visund

A tale of Anmar by Penny Lane

86 - Mystery of the Disease


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2024 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



Ursula strode over to the bed and laid a hand gently onto the patient's leg. It was shivering and the heat which had been there earlier that morning was rapidly disappearing.

"Well spotted, Sarrik," she told him. "Is this the first time you have noticed this?"

"Yes, Mistress. He may have shivered before, though, but if so it was not at a time I was attending him closely."

"And you say this is not a sign of middrin?"

"Surely, Mistress. We all know the signs, fever and rash, it is such a common illness among the young."

Ursula thought briefly and then stood up, carefully keeping her hand from touching anything else. She turned to Eriana.

"Highness, we may have problem here. I must ask you to leave immediately. Take Bennet and Semma with you and out of tent. Ask Tyra to bring my basket inside here and then to remain out there where I can talk to her. Tell other Faral healer to stay away from this end of tent as well."

Eriana caught the tone of Ursula's voice. "As you wish, Ursula. If I may ask what you suspect."

"We do not know, First Director, but it seems that he does not have what others had, which may mean rest of the camp could be at risk."

"Oh! As you say." Eriana thought about consequences. "Is there any instruction you must needs make concerning the camp? For example, should those already here remain here, for fear of spreading the infection?"

"Good point. I will have to stay, as will Sarrik, but I think the rest of you are unlikely to have caught anything."

"What about Tyra? She of course is closer to you than any other of us." But Eriana's eyes showed that she wished someone different had been closest of all.

I wish it were not this way either. But with all of us bunking together on the Green Ptuvil we have no opportunity.

"I do not know... I think she is safe. I'll need her nearby to relay any further instructions."

"What about the rest of the camp?"

"For now, let activities carry on as they are, I think. We still need food and other facilities to continue working normally. Lars and his crew can carry on chopping wood... Stop anyone passing through channel to vessels in the Sirrel and let nobody in either."

"As you command, Ursula." Eriana turned to leave.

"Oh, and see if someone can find that Zebrin medic who came with us on the galley," Ursula added. "He might have some idea what this man has if we cannot discover what it is."

Eriana nodded and continued out. There was a conversation in the vestibule and Tyra lifted the flap. She placed Ursula's basket down and looked at her, worry in her eyes.

"Mistress?"

"It might be nothing, Tyra, but best to be careful. Is the alcohol in the basket?"

"Of course, Mistress, but the level is going down."

"Yes, we'll need to find some more soon. Pull out the bottle and pour enough onto a clean cloth to dampen it, please."

Tyra dampened the cloth and put it down on the end of the bed next to D'Nandis before retreating out of the compartment. Ursula picked it up and thoroughly wiped her hands over before handing the still-damp cloth to Sarrik.

"It is just a precaution," she told him. "This stuff won't hurt you but should kill off anything that has gotten onto your hands whenever you have touched him."

"As you wish, Mistress. What is it?"

"Plain alcohol, Sarrik. It is useful for cleaning hands, tools and other equipment if you are not able to wash them. It can also be used to clean wounds, though it will sting."

He wrinkled his nose at the smell. "I did not know it could be used for that purpose, Mistress! A very useful liquid, I deem."

"So, have you any ideas what this man might have? You already know that I have some knowledge but because I am a stranger to the Sirrel valley I do not know the local diseases."

"I know nothing like this, Mistress, not fever then shivering afterwards. There is a shivering illness but that only comes in the colder months of the year and I do not recall any fever with that one. There is another one I know of but that patient usually has swollen glands in the neck as well. This patient did not have those, it is one of the things I looked for."

Ursula sat on the end of an empty bed. "This is not helpful. Knowledge of these local diseases is not spread widely enough for other healers to be able to recognize them. I'm guessing that he caught this before he met the other two."

She turned to D'Nandis. "Did you notice anything about him when you met? Any marks, rash, bruises, scratches or anything at all like that?"

"Mistress, we all had bruises of one kind or another, it is a natural consequence when one is a traveler over long distances. There would likely have been cuts and scratches if we had become involved in any fights or other disagreements. If I saw any marks I would not have paid much attention to them."

"I am not thinking, am I? Of course you are right. I am trying to find out what he might have and how and where he might have got it. That could tell us if it is something he will soon get over or something that might threaten the whole camp."

"But, Mistress," D'Nandis objected, "Kapis and I have traveled with him for some weeks now and been in near contact with him when we were all in that cage, but we do not have that disease. I can feel myself getting better, I know I can, and Kapis has recovered sooner than I have."

Ursula frowned. "That is a very good point, D'Nandis. If it is something that is infectious then why has nobody else caught it? Especially when you were all crammed together in that cage? Oh, and it was the Trusty cage as well, which means that some of those inside were taking food to the other cages! Why is nobody else showing symptoms?"

She looked at Sarrik. "Does that mean that we are safe as well? You have been in that cage, you and Netheran looked after the sick, why haven't you caught whatever it is?"

"Because, Mistress, like with the middrin, perhaps it is a local disease and we locals are immune to it?" he thought, then added slowly, "...but the two men from K'kjand are not local and they have not caught it. Mistress, it is a puzzle. Ah! If I may offer a thought, Mistress. You say that of course Netheran and I were together with the sick in one cage but we do not know if anyone in any of the other cages may have had these symptoms, perhaps before we even arrived."

Ursula frowned again. "You are correct, Sarrik. Nobody would have thought to tell you about something that was no longer of concern, would they? Then there are the pirates themselves... and possibly anyone else they captured who has already died or been executed by them. Anyone who has come to Hamalbek could have brought whatever-it-is here."

I never imagined that I would be placed in this situation, having to deal with a potential epidemic all by myself. It could be just a minor irritant or it could kill all of us.

I need information! But I am too closely associated with this man now, I cannot ask those questions myself.

Time to delegate.

She stood and walked to the door flap. "Tyra? I'm going to need some help asking questions around the camp and I'll need the authority to do that. Can you fetch Her Highness back, please? She should be meeting with Vikzas and Zoran, bring them too. Tell them this could be a medical emergency which may affect the whole camp."

Tyra looked pale. "At once, Mistress." She bolted out of the front entrance.

Netheran emerged from the other half of the tent. "Mistress? What is happening?"

She waved with her hands to stop him approaching her too closely. "The patient with the funny skin color does not have middrin as we first thought, Netheran. Unfortunately, we don't know what it is so it could be a threat to the whole camp."

He looked surprised. "If I may ask, Mistress, what are the symptoms? We have all been close together for many days, will anyone else, patient or other also have this disease?"

Ursula shrugged. "Difficult to say, Netheran, but we don't think so and we are not sure why. Fever followed by shivering. You know we have been using Anthelis to bring down their fever?"

He nodded. "As you say, Mistress, an inspired suggestion. It seemed to me to be working. Do you tell me that we were mistaken?"

"It has made a difference to D'Nandis, such that we can have a sensible conversation now. He is definitely recovering and we know that Kapis has already recovered. But the other man, it does not have the same effect. I am thinking that perhaps he caught some other disease before he met those two in Benmouth but it did not affect him immediately. That happens sometimes."

Netheran nodded. "I know it, Mistress. There are several ailments of the young where the symptoms do not appear for some days after contact." He looked concerned. "Are we at risk, Mistress? Or the other men behind me?"

"Unknown, Netheran, but from talk with Sarrik I think you may all be safe. Probably. On the other hand, I may not be, so do not stand too close for now until we know better, and keep away from this side of the tent. Tell me, can you remember if anyone in the camp, pirate or prisoner, has had a shivering fit at any time that you know about?"

Netheran's brow furrowed as he went through his memories but finally he shook his head. "No, Mistress, I can think of no-one. Of course, much may have happened before we were brought here."

"True, but if that had happened I would have expected many more in the camp to have caught it over time and it would most likely have been recognized. Somebody would have mentioned it to you."

He nodded. "It is as you say, Mistress."

"So that leaves us with several puzzles. What has he got and where did he get it, and why has nobody else caught it from him? That's why I sent Tyra off, I want questions asked throughout the camp to get some more information."

Shortly they could hear voices and then Tyra pulled the flap aside. "Mistress?"

Ursula nodded to her and then looked at Netheran. "I need to speak to the First Director and I'll need some space in case I am at risk. Perhaps you'd better move back to your half so that I can go outside."

"As you command, Mistress."

Tyra backed out as well and Ursula followed her out onto the walkway. A concerned Eriana was there with both Vikzas and Zoran. Bennet and Semma hurried to catch up.

"What have you found, Ursula?"

"One of the three patients who had the fever has recovered and another is recovering well," she reported without preamble, for the men's benefit. "The third one has not, however, and may have a different disease. His symptoms have also changed, now he shivers despite the warm air around us. There is mystery, he has been here many days in close contact with other captives, why is only he affected and not others? To find out what he has I need to discover if anyone else in camp has ever had shivering fits and to tell me. I cannot do this myself in case I am now infected."

Eriana nodded. "I understand, Ursula. I will find people who can ask everyone that question."

Vikzas asked, "Director, do you desire that we ask the recently arrived troops as well? I would be disturbed if they are also affected."

"I want to find out what he has, as the first step to treating it," Ursula replied. "If any of your men - or the Zebrins - have suffered something similar, even mild symptoms, then that could be useful information, though they would be telling us of past attacks, of course."

"It makes sense," Zoran commented to Vikzas, "most of those here have been here together for many months but we - and the First Director's people - have only recently arrived. They might be safe but we could be at risk, like Director Ursula there."

"As you say."

Eriana considered. "I doubt many of my own men may be used for the task, since their speech is not yet fluent enough. Marshal, Signar, it may be best that you find someone to ask among your own people, but I need someone who can ask our groups of released captives."

"First Director," Bennet said, "by your leave one of us may do that."

"Aye," added Semma. "And someone must ask the bargemen as well - all of them, since we now have that extra craft which brought the Visund's cargo."

Ursula objected, "Semma, they have only just arrived, they could not have infected our patient nor been infected by him."

"Oh, Director, you are correct, but, if I may, those who work on the barges travel widely, they may have some knowledge of what you seek."

"She is right, Ursula," Eriana agreed. "If this is - or could become - as bad as you suspect then all must needs be questioned, even those of Yod who were captives."

Zoran observed, "First Director, I doubt that those of Yod will listen to any woman, not even Director Ursula, nor offer serious reply to anything they may inquire. You have experience of the mind of Yodan men, you told me yourself. Indeed, I do not know whom they might listen to."

"True enough, I deem." Eriana scowled. "I doubt they would pay much heed to even look at Ursula. Mayhap we could ask Zakaros to question them? He was, after all, one of them until he joined our crew."

Ursula nodded. "He is probably the best, but I do not like the idea of taking away from what he is doing. Ah, of course, there is also Karan. He was to come here after lunch, that will not be possible now. He is a healer in training and he has a better idea of what we need. We can use him instead." She had a thought. "What about His Grace? We'll have to ask him and all his crew as well."

"Ursula, Simbran departed this morning in his barge before we awoke. With the pirates now in Bibek he has much work to do there. With his departure Hamalbek is now the responsibility of the Federation Navy, such as it is."

Ursula let out breath with a hiss. "There is small chance it either came with his barge or has left with it. Chances are small but we should send a message to Bibek to warn them."

Bennet objected, "But, Director, you just asked for the channel to be closed. How shall we tell those beyond what is happening?"

Ursula grimaced. "We do what we are doing now, Bennet. Someone on shore talks to someone on boat, not too close to shore. Answers come back same way."

Bennet nodded. "I should have thought of that, Director."

"Very well, Ursula," Eriana said. "We know what must needs be done, let us begin."

She turned to the two men. "You can instruct your own men?"

"Aye, First Director," Zoran replied.

He turned to go but Ursula spoke. "Signar, if you could find that medic from your galley and send him over here. He might know of this disease."

"Director? Oh, as you desire. I think I know where he is, I will discover him first and send him here immediately." Zoran nodded to Ursula and walked off quickly.

Vikzas, on the other hand, looked disturbed. "Director, more men arrived from Bibek this morning, they are to seek those whom you think are buried in the ground. Some of those who originally buried the dead are beyond the tents, helping them. And of course the former prisoners are being bathed, given new attire and moved to these tents. With the mixing of groups I am concerned that the disease will spread this way until the entire camp is suspect."

"Do whatever you can, Marshal. It is knowledge we need now. I need to find out what the disease is and how it can be treated but everyone else needs to know there is problem and why they should not leave camp."

Vikzas nodded. "I'll attend to it, Director. And... I think I'll find some of my marines and get them to make a perimeter along the forest edge. You have just made me realize that the channel to the Sirrel is not the only way to depart this place."

"Of course, and that is the last thing we need. Thank you, Marshal."

There was nothing else that Ursula could do except to return to the tent, nurse her patient and await developments.

* * *

She was just beginning to think lunch thoughts when Tyra lifted the flap into the tent section.

"Mistress, Captain Zerron is here."

Ursula rose from the empty bed she had been sitting on. "Thank you, Tyra. Show him in. Uh, what time is it? I am beginning to feel a little hungry. Is it lunchtime yet?"

"I was considering doing something about that, Director, when Captain Zerron arrived. By your leave, I could go and find out."

"Yes, do that, please. Ah, thinking about it, us three at least," she indicated herself, Sarrik and D'Nandis, "will have to stay inside here to eat. Can you ask at the mess tent if something can be brought?"

"Surely, Director." Tyra turned. "Captain, if you would enter but remain near the doorway."

The Zebrin medic came in and nodded to Ursula. "Director." He grimaced. "I find these ranks most confusing, I deem. I was told one of your patients may have an unknown disease. Is that him in the corner?"

"It is, Captain. The disease may not be not unknown though, just unknown to us. The symptoms are the initial sweating and delirium followed days later by shivering which was first noticed this morning. This patient," she indicated D'Nandis, "is one of three we believed had middrin. The three had traveled from the far west and met somewhere in Benmond. They stayed together some nights in a bargeman's hostel in Benmouth, where it was thought they caught middrin from a barge family there. The third man, Kapis, has already recovered and was moved back to one of the other cages before we all arrived."

Zerron nodded thoughtfully. "I understand, I believe. Middrin usually begins with a rash and then there are a few days of fever. Most children get it, I myself caught it when I was about five years old. I had heard that there were a small number of cases in the camp. But you do not think this other man has it because of the shivering."

"No, and he does not respond to the Anthelis we gave to the others."

"Anthelis? Unorthodox, Director. If you would explain."

"I was informed a while back that, although Anthelis is intended to be a cream used to alleviate certain skin complaints, when drunk as a very dilute liquid it has the useful side effect of bringing down fever. It worked perfectly on D'Nandis here."

"The patient drinks it? Curious! I did not know of that side effect, Director. So what it is you desire from me?"

"Simply if you know of any disease which matches what this other man might have. I have learned from Healer Sarrik here of at least two diseases which involve shivering but they do not match what happened to the patient."

"There is the winter shivering, of course, but that does not involve any fever that I know of. Oh, and tinoran which causes lumps under the chin or in the neck, I see you recognize both of those. Hmm."

"Problem is that until we know what it is, we do not know if it is infectious or how serious it could become. That is why we are beginning to take precautions around the camp."

"You know your business, Director," Zerron said approvingly. "Nobody in or out?"

"For now. You can see our problem, Captain."

"Aye." He frowned, his attention directed inside as he thought through all that he had been taught. Finally he asked, "Do you think he might have brought it with him from wherever he came from?"

Ursula shrugged. "You tell me, Captain. Even the two Six Cities men have no idea where he is from. Now I seem to learn languages readily but even I do not recognize anything he says - although that might be because he is feverish. My own guess is somewhere west, somewhere warmer, to have that skin color."

Zerron leaned forward to look at the patient. "As you say. Distinctive, is it not? I do not recall ever seeing anyone who looks like that before." He paused, and then added, "There is something I was told about shivering, a long time ago when I was but a healer's assistant, but I cannot recall what was said to me. It may return as the day proceeds." He thought again and frowned. "Director, do you have any other immediate need for my services? I was inspecting the freed men as they came out of the bathing tent, by coming here the line has been interrupted."

"Yes, of course, Captain. The other men are at least as important as those in this tent."

"Then I will depart, but I will continue to consider what I know and come back if that memory returns to me. By your leave?"

"Of course, Captain."

Zerron departed and the three rational occupants looked at one another.

"Mistress," D'Nandis said, finally, "something is strange here. I have been with this man for some weeks now yet I do not appear to have caught whatever he has. I know there are ailments of the body which do not get passed to others, mayhap this could be one of those?"

Ursula nodded. "Yes, things like cancer, ulcers and various conditions of some of your internal organs. I cannot think of anything obvious which would behave the way he has, though." She frowned. "It does not explain why he has it and nobody else in the camp. With the numbers here I would expect at least someone else to have either caught it, had it in the past, or knows someone who did have it."

Tyra returned then, leading a procession of mess attendants bearing trays of food. The first man through the entrance flap was the man with three bars on his epaulets. He paused and spoke to Ursula.

"Director, we have brought lunch for you, your colleagues and your charges. Your assistant here tells me that we must needs be cautious entering this side of the tent."

"Oh? She was right, the man in the corner has something we do not yet understand and we must be careful. I suggest you put the trays down on that bed next to our other patient."

"As you command, Director. If I may ask, what of those in the other half of the tent?"

"Those men have physical injuries so should be safe enough to approach, er..?"

"My pardon, Director. I should have declared myself when we first met. I am Overluten Vembro, presently in charge of cooking in this camp."

Vembro placed his tray on the end of the vacant bed and stood.

"I have four trays for you, your two colleagues and your assistant, Director," he explained. "We were unsure what to provide your patients, but bearing in mind what we have been asked to feed the other former prisoners, we have brought like trays together with extra bowls of bread and fruit should they desire some later today."

"That is a good idea, Overluten. Thank you."

Each of the beds had a thin blanket, provided against any possible chill during the summer nights, and Sarrik had pulled a blanket from an empty bed to cover the stranger. He stood as Ursula passed a tray to him.

"Real food! Overluten, you have my everlasting thanks for this."

"It is what you deserve, Master Healer," Vembro replied. "You appear to me to be as undernourished as any of the other former prisoners are, you must needs regain your strength before the Director here will permit you to depart."

Sarrik nodded. "It is as you say, Overluten, but we Healers have a job to do and we are the best ones suited to do it. The food you provide will not be wasted."

"As you say, Master Healer." He turned and received another tray from Tyra which he gave to Ursula. "This one is for your other patient, Director. We did not know how capable he was of feeding himself so you will see that the food has been cut small that one of you may feed him should he need it."

"Thank you, Overluten," she said, taking the tray. "D'Nandis is still weak, he might be able to feed himself but I will be there to help him if he cannot."

Vembro bowed. "Then, Director, by your leave, we will attend to those in the other part of the tent. If you would send a runner should you require more of anything."

"Of course, Overluten."

Ursula sat down on the edge of the next bed and put the tray on her lap.

"Can you manage this by yourself, D'Nandis?"

He gave her a weak smile. "I can but try, Director. Is that hot pel? Maker, I have almost forgotten the taste!"

She carefully picked up the mug and handed it to him. "Then see if this will jog your memory."

* * *

Ursula was awoken from her nap by a very brief shower hammering on the canvas roof of the tent. She had lain down on a spare bed, exhausted by the attention that their mystery patient had forced on her and Sarrik, to fall instantly asleep in the hot afternoon air. Now she came to, opening her eyes to find Sarrik watching her from his position beside the patient's bed.

"Mm. I think I needed that. How are you feeling? Do you need to lay down for a while?" She raised herself up on an elbow. "I can take over there if you need to take a break. How is the patient?"

"Mistress, I can manage for a while but you are right, it is hot and sticky after that shower, I will soon need to take a break. As for him, he is still shivering. Sometimes it is more, sometimes less."

She sat up properly and swung her legs to the floor. "Have you managed to get anything into him yet?"

"A little water is all, Mistress. He is still restless, this heat is not helping even though he shivers."

She stood, smoothing down her ship dress. "Very well. I need to check with Tyra first and then I can take over."

She moved to the flap and opened it, to find Tyra asleep on one of the two camp beds in the vestibule, originally intended for the NCOs of the troops in each half.

"Tyra?"

She had to call three times before the younger woman moved. Tyra sat up slowly, rubbing her eyes.

"Unh. Oh! Mistress, I ask your pardon. I should not have fallen asleep."

"On a hot afternoon like today a nap can only do us good," Ursula replied. "It is what most of the camp will be doing anyway."

"As you say, Mistress. I peeped in and saw you asleep so I thought maybe I could close my eyes for a short while. Have I missed anything?"

"Not at all, Tyra, except maybe the rain. Have there been any messages?"

"No, Mistress. It will take time for the men to question everybody, after all."

"What about... Her Highness? Anything more from her or the other leaders?"

"No-one at all has come here, Mistress, since the lunch things were collected."

"They are all probably having naps. I do not even hear the sound of axes or saws so work has just stopped for a while. We just have to wait, then. Unfortunately, I do not think our sick patient can wait too long, though." Ursula stretched. "I think I could do with some more pel. Is there any way we can send someone to the mess tent?"

"Surely, Mistress. I have shown my whistle to the cook man and agreed a signal I can use. Someone will come to take a message or orders."

"Ah, good. When someone arrives, send them in to me."

One of the mess attendants duly arrived and Ursula gave instructions for pel for everyone in both ends of the tent.

And then I will have to think about what comes out the other end, she thought. We do not have much privacy here.

"You and I are going to need a bucket soon."

"As you say, Mistress." Tyra briefly looked around. "The only place it can go is in the other part of your side, Mistress. There should just be enough privacy, I can stand here and prevent anyone looking in."

"Done, Tyra, and I can do the same for you. It is a tent for the sick, the men do not appear to bother too much about privacy under these conditions."

"It must have been worse when they were all shut up in those cages, Mistress. They have become used to the conditions."

"But that does not mean they should become used to those conditions, Tyra. We are trying to bring them all back to civilization after all."

"As you say, Mistress."

The fresh pel was brought, this time in a large pot from which it could be dispensed into mugs as required. Ursula let Netheran distribute mugs in his half of the tent before taking some in for Sarrik, D'Nandis and herself.

As she was finishing her drink Captain Anthar arrived. Ursula went outside to speak to him.

"Director, I have enquired after everyone under my command concerning the symptoms that you spoke of and no-one can remember anything exactly like that happening to themselves or anyone they know."

"Thank you, Captain, for your efforts."

"If I may ask about your patient, Director. How does he fare?"

"About the same, Captain, which is to say, very weak and shivering. He does not understand what we say when we talk to him."

"Ah. If there is anything we of Faral can do to help, you have only to ask."

"Thank you again, Captain."

The next arrival was Benakar.

"Mistress, some of those who have been in the center prison longer than most report that there was a period when several of them began shivering, but it did not last very long. Since then there has been nothing."

"Is that so? Would it be possible to speak directly to any of those who had it?"

He spread his hands wide. "Mistress, those men are among the weakest of us. They needed help to even climb in and out of the bathtubs. If you desire to speak with them you must needs attend them, I deem. I doubt any of them could walk here from the tent where they now lie."

Ursula scowled. "Difficult. I could be contaminated myself so I cannot do that, at least not yet. Still, you have told me something I did not know before. Thank you."

Benakar looked disturbed. "Mistress? Is there danger to others in the camp?"

"It is beginning to look like the risk is slight, Benakar, to others in the camp. I would prefer to make sure before I move from this tent, though."

"As you say, Mistress. By your leave?"

Buckets had been provided and used by Ursula, the healers and Tyra before anyone else came to call.

"First Director! What can I do for you?"

"I came to offer scant information, Ursula," Eriana replied. "None of our own people, including those of the several barges, knows of this mysterious disease. If there is no further information then I do not know what you can do."

Ursula sighed. "About what I thought, First Director. There are still some people I want to hear from first, before I can ask you to think what else I might be able to do."

"You ask me for such advice? I am no healer, Ursula. What could I tell you that you did not already know?"

"I am not speaking about my patient, now, First Director, but about the safety of the camp and the rest of the men... the people in it. Without knowing what the patient has means there must be risk to them but I cannot give numbers to risk. If it is small, camp can stay but if it is great then it may be better to evacuate camp, leaving us behind."

Eriana gave Ursula a disbelieving stare. "I did not think a healer could be so cold, Ursula. But you are right, this could be a command decision and I must needs rely on advice from others. You will still give advice?"

"Always, First Director. I am not trying to evade responsibility but there is more to presence of camp than just medical decisions."

Ursula saw Karan approaching along the duckboards. He arrived and bowed to Eriana.

"First Director, Director. If I may report on what I have learned to the Director."

"Surely, Karan," Eriana replied. "I believe you have been speaking to... whom, exactly?"

"The former Yodan crew, First Director." He turned his attention to Ursula. "Director, I have news, though it raises more questions than one such as I can begin to answer. Those formerly of Yod, who crewed the second galley, told me that some few of the crew of the original galley yet survived when they were captured. I was told that those few were in poor health and that, after a period of maybe two weeks following the later arrivals, many of the originals fell sick - with shivering."

Ursula immediate became interested. "Ah? Did the pirates let them die, then?"

"Indeed not, Director. He who styled himself King desired that every remaining member of the Yodan crews, whether from the first galley or the second, should be strung up to die on the frame as revenge for their treatment of their slave rowers. When he discovered the sickness he became angry and something was done, they do not know what, to prevent those ill men dying. Soon after that those men recovered and paid for their lives one by one as the King desired."

Eriana was surprised. "He did what? How could a mere pirate, someone who had manned the oars himself not weeks previously, know what this disease was, when no-one else here has any idea?"

Ursula frowned. "I do not know, First Director, but it gives us some answers. We now know that disease is known, though probably very rare, and that it is possible to cure it. Wait! Since it affected a group of prisoners at the same time it also tells us that it might be some kind of deficiency in diet, which so-called King recognized and was able to fix."

"A... deficiency, Ursula? What do you mean by that?"

Ursula thought before she answered. "It is complicated subject, First Director. Simple answer is, Norse probably would not have it since you eat a lot of fish and fruit. Restricted, boring diet without certain nutrients can cause problems over time, weak bones, painful joints, bleeding from gums, skin problems. If pirates did not feed captives properly they could easily develop such problems. Since they wanted revenge, they had to change diet to keep captives alive."

Eriana shook with disgust. "Ugh! Even we barbarians treat our captives better than that!" There was a pause. "Usually. Tell me more about deficiency."

"Our bodies get what we need from food we eat, Director," Eriana nodded, "body knows how to make most substances it needs that way. There are certain things body cannot make, that it has to take in with food. Some of these are called vitamins, also certain minerals. Best way to get vitamins and minerals is to have varied diet when possible. Fresh fruit, vegetables, fish, these sorts of things. I doubt pirates bothered to think of diet at first, then sickness made them realize they could lose all captives if not fed properly."

"Ah, as you say." She wrinkled her nose. "I do not like some of the meals our crew has been offered lately. Do you tell me I should be eating such food?"

"It is best to have a certain amount of tolerance, First Director." Ursula smiled. "I do not think you have much cause for concern. What you and your men eat obviously works for you or your people would have died out long ago."

"As you say, Ursula."

Karan objected, "Director, your present patient had not been a captive for very long. How is it he has succumbed and not his companions?"

"That is a very good question, Karan. It might mean we are looking at some other problem. Very well. Karan, thank you for your help, you can go and find something else to do for now."

"Director." He bowed, turned and walked off.

"So, Ursula, how does this help your problem?"

Ursula took a cloth from the front pouch of her ship dress and wiped the sweat from her face before answering. "If it is a diet deficiency then no-one else in the camp should be at risk," she replied. "More than that I cannot say right now, but it looks as if you and the other leaders can relax - slightly. I need to ask some more questions to try and narrow down what is going on before I say more."

"As you say, Ursula." Eriana nodded. "Call me when you do know more."

"Of course... Eriana."

Ursula returned inside and spoke to Tyra. "I need to speak to one of the cooks... the men who were cooks before we came, that is. The Trusties. Preferably I want someone who might have been a captive when the second galley was captured."

"As you desire, Mistress. If I may whistle for a runner?"

"Yes, do so."

There was some confusion at first, since the runner wanted to fetch someone from the mess tent, but eventually a man was brought whom Ursula thought she recognized. He had been cleaned up, shaved and had a haircut, and was dressed in a loose tunic and summer tights, though there were only simple sandals on his feet. Again Ursula met him on the duckboard walkway.

He bowed awkwardly. "Mistress? I do not know that I can tell you anything useful but I will answer as I can."

"That is all I want at the moment. First, you'd better tell me your name."

"Of course, Mistress. I am Ezran Inksman, formerly of Tenago in Eastern Yod."

"Inksman? Are you a scribe?"

Ezran spread his hands. "Mistress, I was but that was long ago. Some coin went missing and I was blamed. I was condemned to the galleys and ended up here. I had some skill in the kitchen and was, er, selected by the pirates as one of those who fed everyone." He looked puzzled. "Did I do something wrong?"

"Not at all, Ezran. What you did kept yourself and some of your fellow prisoners alive long enough to be rescued. Tell me, what vessel were you on when the pirates captured you?"

"The second galley, Mistress. Most of those who were below deck chose to join the pirates but I could not bring myself to do so, knowing what they might do to others on the river. I partly disguised my origins, pretending I was from land occupied by the Overlords, and was separated from those who joined the pirates."

"Ah. So you were here when those who remained of the first galley's crew became ill?"

"Aye, Mistress, though I was not a cook then so it was the center prison. We heard there had been illness but thought it was because the pirates were treating the galley crews poorly, ah, more poorly than everyone else, of course."

"Were there any other prisoners - perhaps like yourself - in that cage who might have been a rower on the first galley?"

"Aye, Mistress, there were a few but none remain alive today." He looked surprised. "That must mean that I am one of the longest to survive, Mistress."

"And that was probably only because you were picked as a cook, and so was fed a little better."

"As you say, Mistress."

Ursula was stumped. How could she find out how the first bout of sickness was cured?

"Tell me," she said slowly, "once you became a cook, was there anything you noticed about what you fed everyone? I assume the pirates ate better than their captives did."

Ezran considered. "Of course they did, Mistress. Most of what we fed everyone was whatever was found on the barges they preyed on, which meant our meals changed almost every week. Of course, the pirates ate the best selection, then we who did their dirty work, then the Yodan crews, so they would last longer on the frame, and the poor men in the center prison ate whatever was left. Sometimes they would find a barge with meat so we all ate that before it went off. Mostly it was grain and vegetables, a little fish but the pirates tended to leave the local fishermen alone, I have no idea why."

"Probably because the local fishermen would know every little creek and outlet along the bank so would soon find Hamalbek, which would mean someone would shortly arrive to attack them," Ursula explained. "In fact, we called at fishing villages either side and found they were warned away by the pirates."

"We assumed something like that had happened. If there is something else I can tell you, Mistress? If I may ask what you seek?"

"I am trying to discover why those men fell sick and what happened to make them better again. The only thing I could think of was perhaps a change in diet."

Ezran frowned. "As I said, what we ate changed all the time. Oh! There was something odd, now I think of it. Once I became a cook I discovered that, as you might expect, only the pirates drank pel. The supply of pel was whatever was found on the vessels they caught, sometimes cargo, sometimes crew supplies. If there were any leaves left over at the end of each day we had been instructed to roast them and then grind them up to mix with the morning grain porridge. It was said that this was to improve the taste of the mixture, which was otherwise very bland. It sounded odd to me but I just did as I was ordered."

Ursula sighed. "I can believe that. Thank you, Ezran, for telling me this, it may have been of help." She thought of Zakaros. "If you are thinking of work, we could probably use a scribe, when you feel ready to attempt something like that."

"That is gracious of you, Mistress. Since that meeting with His Grace I have been considering what I might do when I leave here. I am still somewhat weak but will think on your words."

"Then I think you had better go and get out of this sun and rest. Are your accommodations good enough?"

"Mistress, though I had never seen the inside of one before, the tent is like a palace to us. Nobody is complaining at their change in fortune."

"As you say."

Ezran bowed, turned and walked slowly off while Ursula sought the shade of the tent entrance. Tyra was waiting anxiously inside and she backed away as Ursula lifted the flap.

"No, I don't think you need to do that any more, Tyra. It looks as if we are dealing with some kind of dietary deficiency with our patient." Ursula shook her head, puzzled. "All I have heard is - No. Let me think some more about what I have been told."

She pushed through to the 'ward' where the others waited.

Sarrik asked, "Did you discover anything, Mistress?"

"Maybe. Some of the crew of the first galley - the Yodans, not the slave rowers - became ill with the shivering just after the second galley was taken and then became better. The cook I spoke to thinks the pirates may have changed something in the food to counteract the shivering. It is possible that our patient has the same thing. The only thing I was told which might be relevant is that he said they mixed ground-up pel leaves with the grain porridge each morning."

Recognition came. "Is that what it was, Mistress? I saw the specks in the food but thought it imperfections in the grain or bad winnowing, something like that. I am no farmer. I wonder why they did that?"

"I have no idea. I doubt the pirates had enough pel to give it to everyone, do you not agree? Or even to want to give it to everyone. They drank it themselves, though. I wonder why they put it in the captives' porridge?"

D'Nandis spoke from behind Ursula, causing her to turn sharply when he said, "Mistress, Bineer drank no pel. He would not touch any hot drinks, nor would he drink the bargeman's beer. He told us that hot drinks were unknown among his people."

"What? No pel at all?"

"None, Mistress. We told him it was fine and that most in the east drank it but he refused."

Ursula was shocked. Pel?

Seriously?

Pel is a mixture of herbs, can it be possible that one... or more... contain some substance vital to human health here? Is this possible?

...The local beer also contains herbs...

I must keep reminding myself that I am, in fact, on an alien world. What else might I miss through assuming the rules are the same as on Earth?

"What about where you came from? Do you have pel in the Six Cities?"

"No, Mistress, but we have a similar drink called maten. I do not know if the two share any ingredients."

"What about beer or ale? Do you have anything like that?"

"Of course, Mistress, but it tastes different to what I have drunk here in the east. And before you ask, our wineberries also taste different when made into wine." He shrugged. "Here or there, it all tastes fine to me."

She simmered. "I refuse to believe that it can be that simple! Can it be? Sarrik, how do you propose we get some pel into our patient to see if that makes any difference?"

The Faral healer pointed. "Mistress, there is a big pot on the table outside and what is left is now strong and probably cold. Why not try him with some of that? In his present state he will not know what it is. It would be no different than any of our potions, after all."

"Good thinking. Tyra!"

The flap was pulled open. "Mistress?"

"Is that pel pot still there? If it is then bring it in here, please."

"But, Mistress, it will be cold and likely stewed by now."

"All the better! Bring it in, quickly, before someone from the mess tent decides to collect it for the evening meal."

The liquor in the bottom of the pot was dark and thick. Ursula decanted some into one of the beakers they had been using, diluted it with a little water and went to the side of Bineer's bed. He was asleep but Ursula gently shook him.He moved and began mumbling.

"Manu? Vrak! Temi nar'kofn so."

"Drink this," she said. "It will help you get better."

She pushed the beaker against his lower lips and he opened his mouth to drink some. It was swallowed, but the face wrinkled up in distaste.

«Bad taste.»

Suddenly Ursula realized that she could, perhaps, understand him now.

«It is medicine. Medicine is supposed to taste bad. Drink some more.»

Reluctantly he drank about half of what was in the beaker and then sank back with a sigh. Ursula removed the beaker and stood.

Sarrik looked at Ursula with amazement. "Did you just speak his tongue, Mistress?"

"I think I did, Sarrik. I did not know that I could. My brain works in a very strange way where other languages are concerned." I'm hardly going to tell him the truth, am I? Especially when I am not sure what the truth is. She looked at what was left in the beaker. "Ugh. This stuff is stewed. Suppose we have another pot made and then pour some out to cool straight away? He might like that better."

"Pel, Mistress? Really?"

"Pel is made from herbs, Sarrik. What do you think all my other potions and ointments are made from? I am guessing that there is something in pel that we all need but, because we all drink it all the time, nobody has realized. Perhaps the reason we drink pel has been forgotten over time."

"That never occurred to me, Mistress. What an amazing thing!"

She muttered, "So, it appears to be some kind of deficiency, but until we can develop decent biological laboratory we aren't going to know much more."

"Mistress?"

"Oh, nothing to concern you now, Sarrik." She breathed a sigh of relief. "It looks like our immediate problem, that of the camp, may have been answered. Do you want to go out and refresh yourself?"

"By your leave, Mistress, yes I do! I could do with a good wash and then a lie down."

"Do you know where the bathing tent is?"

"It is up and around the back, behind the cooking tents, I was told."

"That's right, anyone there can direct you. Oh," she pointed to the pot, "if you are going that way you could take this and ask them to send another down - but don't say why we need it."

"As you command, Mistress." Sarrik picked up the pot and left.

D'Nandis looked at Ursula. "Do you really think that pel is the answer, Mistress?"

"I think so. Once you said that he did not drink it, and when Ezran explained that the prisoner cooks added it to the porridge, everything made sense. I don't know why we all drink it but we do, and there is likely a very good reason we do."

She checked the patient again, just before the fresh pot of pel was delivered. He already seemed less feverish, less clammy and the shivering had eased slightly. But he had started mumbling again and it appeared some of the words made sense, though many others did not.

One plaintive question did catch her attention: «Why are there three moons in this insane place?»

up
128 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

No hot drinks..

No hot drinks..

So, a Mormon.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Close but no cigar

...Though there is a salt lake involved.

:)

Penny

There are about ten major salt lakes…….

D. Eden's picture

In the world, including the Great Salt Lake in Utah. Many of them are in the so-called Stans (Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, etc.), but the one which seems to make the most sense is in China. This would follow with the skin tone as well.

I was actually expecting that the illness would end up being something like a dietary issue. Having Pel as the solution was unexpected though.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Red Herring?

Speaker's picture

Wherever he came from, Krio seems to be his first language.

Speaker

This sounds like..

This sounds like the disease that killed off the Chivans in the story Alibi Omnio. If it is, then there is a simple herbal treatment available...

Yes!

Aine Sabine's picture

We finally have an answer that he isn't local. But now the question is, is he from Earth or one of the many Human colonies established by the VMBs?
Thank you Penny! Hope you are feeling well.

Aine

Disease solution

Aha, one disease successfully re-pel-led!

Pel is like 'you must eat your broccoli' of Anmar.

It will be interesting to find out what the biological mode of action is though.

Nutrition Deficientcy is Possible

BarbieLee's picture

Many problems can happen with nutrition deficiency. Skurvy, rickets, beriberi are some that come to mind. These people are still living in the dark ages and knowledge of medicines, vitamins, nutrition is still to be in their future. Ursula has been tossed into the deep end of the pool with no modern laboratory and a strange world like but not like earth.
Hugs Ms Lane, excellent pacing and great at hiding who or what done it story line.
Barb
Life is meant to be lived, not worn until it's worn out.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Three Moons?

joannebarbarella's picture

It sounds as if he's not from Anmar. Perhaps the deficiency is an iodine deficiency. I am not familiar enough with the symptoms to know if that could be the cause.

Iodine

Iodine deficiency causes thyroid gland trouble. The gland enlarges, creating a swelling of the neck (goiter). Goiter was common enough in the alpine regions of Europe. Iodized table salt disposes of the issue.

Low thyroid hormone (thyroxine) level is associated with the technical definition of cretin. The word cretin has become a pejorative for poor intelligence.

G/R

The increased use of sea salt

The increased use of sea salt by cretins (sorry, people who believe that fancy foods equate to better heath) means that iodine deficiencies are likely to increase. Sea salt has iodine in it, but not enough to maintain the body properly. Pink salt from Pakistan is likewise low in iodine. No, it's not Himalayan - it's from the Punjabi region of Pakistan. For it to be Himalayan, it would have to be mined in Kashmir, which is a contested region between India and Pakistan. Very unlikely to happen until those two work it out.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Another earther?

The aliens must love their transfers since they keep doing it.

so Pel is the answer?

presumably sometime in the distant past, people discovered it added something vital to the local diet, but eventually the reasons became lost.

interesting chapter!

DogSig.png

It could be zinc...

A quick search found the following article on the (US) National institutes of Health web site, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8349606/

Note that "Inclusion in an NLM database does not imply endorsement of, or agreement with, the contents by NLM or the National Institutes of Health." But, my guess, is that the beneficial effect of zinc is not a crazy conspiracy theory or just another internet rumour.

Abstract
Influenza viruses, respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), and SARS-COV2 are among the most dangerous respiratory viruses. Zinc is one of the essential micronutrients and is very important in the immune system. The aim of this narrative review is to review the most interesting findings about the importance of zinc in the anti-viral immune response in the respiratory tract... [Big Snip] ...In conclusion, zinc has anti-viral properties and is important in defending against respiratory viral infections and regulating the immune response in the respiratory tract.

So, assuming that pel contains berries or leaves from some bush, and that those berries or leaves are naturally high in zinc, then eating the berries or drinking the pel could help a person fight off a viral infection.

Lindsay

Kinda like scurvy,

Obvious after the fact but not so much when it is discovered.

Visund vicisitudes

LibraryGeek's picture

In the Japanese Light Novel Isekai culture the go to nutritional deficiency is Vitamin B-12...beriberi as a result of switching to white rice without offsetting the B-12 lost during the hulling and polishing process.
For the same reason white flour is 'enriched'.

I haven't checked to see how the symptoms compare.

Yours,

John Robert Mead

Yep

He is thinking of Thiamine which is B1.

Vitamins do react fairly fast but the speed of relief is quite amazing in this case so it must be something in pel that enters the bloodstream very quickly to provide relief so soon.

C would be the most obvious,

C would be the most obvious, as scurvy is basically the first identified vitamin deficiency, and fruits are harder to keep on ships, also IIRC Pel is described as having a mildly acidic flavor, which could be citric acid