The Voyage of the Visund -87-

Printer-friendly version

The remains of the dead are disposed of and the senior staff gather to consider the future of the camp. Ursula makes a suggestion concerning the two stranded galleys. The next morning, Kaldar's sore throat turns out to have an innocent explanation.

grakh on parchment

The Voyage of the Visund

A tale of Anmar by Penny Lane

87 - Of Pyres and Galleys


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2024 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



Eriana had joined Zoran and Vikzas in viewing the completion of the funeral pyres. Since there were so many bodies these had to be substantial mounds of timber, mostly freshly cut from the forest nearest the Sirrel, and that timber was still green. This material had been augmented by the remains of the two burnt pirate buildings and the frames they had used to execute anyone who had disagreed with their commands.

Because the prevailing breeze was from east to west, and there was an obvious need to avoid the resulting smoke, the pyres had been constructed near the western edge of the forest, between the prisoner cages and the existing forest boundary. At present it was not possible to demolish the cages and add their material to the pyres since not all the prisoners had yet been moved to the new tents.

"Think you there will be enough wood to burn all these bodies, First Director?"

"I have no idea, Marshal," she replied to Vikzas. "As a rule others concerned themselves with such tasks when needed in my past. Since coming to the Great Valley I have only attended a few such funerals, and those for only a few bodies. Wait! Of course there was that farm not far from Bakhmenek, where those renegade Yodan soldiers had laired. The whole place had been so fouled that we used all the farm buildings as materials."

"Do you tell me? I remember the tale, I do not think you described any funerals then."

"Aye," added Zoran, "but of course those would have happened after the end of your tale, I deem, and be of slight interest to your listeners. The whole farm? All of it?"

Eriana nodded with a grin. "It is true, and I assure you that we did obtain permission from the Military Governor at Bakhmenek, Marshal Boranar of Ferenis, before we did so." The grin faded. "We used the larger barn, still part filled with fodder, to construct separate pyres for the dead Yodans and for their victims, but we also fired the other buildings, as all three were not only noxious but held memories none desired to retain."

Zoran asked, "About how many dead did you burn that day, First Director?"

Eriana shrugged. "I was not counting, Signar. Probably around ninety or so, forty of which were victims of the renegades. As was respectful, we burned them with due honor on a separate pyre to the soldiers. Why do you ask?"

"Oh, merely to compare with today's numbers, First Director. If I may note, the occasions seem to me to be curiously alike. You defeated rogue troops, then must needs deal with those who survived and those who did not, both rogue and victim. But Hamalbek is a larger problem, I deem."

"As you say." Eriana's eyes narrowed as she considered the parallels. "We do not seek out such confrontations, Signar, merely respond as we encounter them by chance. I imagine that some of the work of the River Patrol, once we are in operation, will consist of like adventures, do you not agree?"

"Indeed, First Director, at least until the river is made peaceful to all." Zoran glanced to his right, where several officers approached. "Ah. Here is Admiral Lars with two of your men, Vikzas."

Lars arrived with Captain of the Field Torban and a Faral officer Eriana had not met previously.

"Enough wood for pyres," Lars reported to Eriana with a nod, "these two have interesting idea to tell."

"Oh?" Eriana turned to Torban. "Captain, welcome to our temporary camp. Have you been told all that occurred here?"

He banged his chest with the flat of his right hand. "Director, I have, and I must congratulate you on yet another successful operation, it seems. If I may introduce Water-Captain Manuf of our galley the Faral Huntsman which you last saw at Faralan. On orders from His Grace he has brought his vessel and his crew along to provide assistance. It is presently moored nearby in the Sirrel and some of the marines have been helping Admiral Lars ashore. Manuf, if I may introduce you to Princess Eriana of Palarand, she has been appointed head of the new Federation Navy. You should know that she has several titles according to activity and presently uses the style of Director, because of the nature of this camp."

Eriana gave the galley captain a nod. "You are welcome here, Captain Manuf."

He returned first with a salute and then an elaborate bow. "Director, the reputation of you and your men becomes greater every day, it seems. When I came ashore here earlier today I spent some time with Admiral Lars on what he terms the spits, those tongues of land which enclose this creek. As we observed operations he described to me how the assault on the pirate camp had happened. I was then informed I could not return to my galley because of a possible outbreak of some disease."

"That is so, Captain," Eriana replied, "and I regret that it keeps you from your command."

"I have made use of the free time, Director, and it is that which brings me to you. I was drawn to the two galleys already here which I recognized as being of Yodan design, and Admiral Lars was gracious enough to permit me to inspect them with him. If I may ask what you intended to do with them."

"Since the river level is now so low we may not remove them from this place," she explained. "I understand that Marshal Vikzas has some scheme whereby they may be retained without damage when the waters rise once more."

"That is not so, Director," Manuf responded. "Both vessels are lightly loaded, indeed one is but a mere shell. If everything were taken out of both, crew, oars and all, it is possible they could then be towed through the channel to the Sirrel, where any contents can be restored. The stripped one, I regret, having not even a rudder nor steering gear aboard, must needs be towed, probably to Bibek, for complete refurbishment and supply."

She was surprised. "Do you tell me? Lars, if this is possible then it eases several of our problems."

"Yah, Director. Water in channel is deep enough for empty galley, we used rod to check."

Hanuf added, "Director, if there is any difficulty then it should be possible to deepen the channel by hand. We have need to do this at our base in Bibek from time to time."

Her eyebrows rose. "You can do this? Then Captain, I am indebted to you and the expert opinion you provide. Lars, should we do this? Have we the time or men? What crew can we use, once we take the galleys into the Sirrel?"

He nodded. "Can be done, Director. Captain offers enough crew to row."

She asked Manuf, "How is this possible? Who will row your own galley if you should lend some of your men to row these?"

"Director, though my men are divided into crew and marines all may row from time to time as required. Since we are but a short distance from Bibek and among friends we would not require a full complement of men to bring both craft so far." Manuf shrugged. "Director, it is something we practise since any galley may need to give assistance to another in trouble."

"Done, Captain." Eriana turned to Vikzas. "Marshal, we are indebted to you for this offer. Lars and I have learned much today." She turned again at an interruption. "Yes?"

The Faral marine saluted. "By your leave, Director, I am to inform you that Director Ursula believes she now understands what is wrong with her patient and desires your presence to hear her report."

Eriana responded with a nod. "Message received, marine, and thank you."

Vikzas asked, "The news may be important, Director. Will you go now? Do you require us to attend?"

"I'll go by myself," she decided. "If there is aught to report which threatens the camp then I will return immediately and tell you what I learn. By your leave?"

"Of course, First Director."

Eriana walked rapidly from one end of the duckboard 'street' to the other, trailed as always by Bennet and Semma. Ursula was waiting for her at the far end.

"Ursula! You have discovered what is wrong, I deem."

"I have, First Director, and it raises many questions concerning what I know about life here..." Ursula changed what she was about to say since there were others in earshot, "...in the Great Valley. However, it would appear there is no danger to anyone else in the camp or beyond it. As the senior medical person here I can ask you to lift any restrictions which were placed earlier today. Only the patient is affected and he seems to be responding to the new, er, medication."

"Are you certain of this, Ursula? I trust your judgment, as you already know, but you have not previously encountered a circumstance like this since you came to the Great Valley."

"Diseases are diseases, First Director. Wherever one is, they should behave the same. No-one else in the camp is now ill with the same symptoms as the patient, and most have been in close contact with him for some time now. I do not think any of us is in any danger either from whatever he has... for certain reasons."

"Ah? If you would explain."

Ursula considered her words. "As you know I asked earlier for information about anyone who may have had similar symptoms in the past. To my surprise it was reported that some of the original Yodan crew, then captives, suffered those symptoms shortly after the second galley was captured by the pirates." Eriana nodded to show she understood the timing. "However, those men were not permitted to die of the disease since the pirates wanted, as you know, to execute them one by one."

"Not permitted to die? Do you tell me that the pirates knew of this malady?"

Ursula shrugged. "Somebody must have recognized the symptoms, First Director. It is possible they did not know the disease, only how to cure it. Shortly afterwards those captives who were cooks for the camp were instructed to grind up dried leaves of pel and add them to the morning porridge. Those who did that task believed it was to give the porridge some flavor but I now believe different."

Eriana's eyes popped out. "Do you tell me that pel is the reason those men recovered? Is this possible?"

"That is why I say that the whole business raises many questions, First Director. Most people in the Great Valley and, for all I know, well beyond, drink pel at some time during the day, even if they subsequently drink wine, beer or something else. I am wondering if there is a good medical reason for this. Maybe there is some deficiency, as I suspected, and one or more of the herbs in pel satisfies that deficiency."

The Princess shook her head. "But, but, Ursula, many do not drink pel! Why, until we came to the Great Valley, none of those aboard the Visund had ever heard of pel! Can you explain that?"

"Perhaps, First Director. I wondered if the Einnland diet, which you told me consists mainly of meat and fish, provides an alternative. I can tell you that fish from the sea are often more nutritious than those found in rivers or lakes. Then I remembered that ale or beer brewed wherever I have been usually has herbs added to it. Is that true of ale brewed in Einnland?"

Eriana looked troubled. "I do not know, Ursula. I suspect you may be correct. But this patient of yours has this deficiency, can you explain that?"

"Yes, First Director. It puzzled us a while until the other patient, D'Nandis from the Six Cities, happened to mention that Bineer Ketko did not drink hot drinks at all and refused the bargemens' beer. He only drank water or, occasionally, fruit juice."

"That is so? Stranger and stranger! Oh, D'Nandis... you say he is one of those from the Six Cities. Do I assume they also have pel over there?"

"They do not, First Director, but they have a similar drink named maten, which I suspect also contains those vital herbs." Ursula shrugged. "Such things are not uncommon, all over... where I come from... there are customary drinks, hot and cold, that most people drink all the time. It is almost an addiction but one that causes very little harm if not overdone. It is just that, on at least this part of Anmar, something in them seems to be actually required for human health. I suspect we are not going to find out until somebody gets a research project going to carefully work through the evidence."

"Research project? Now that reminds me of something Garia told me. Oh, yes! Have I told you we are building a University in Palarand? The King is sending all our Questors there."

"Questors? What are they?"

"Ah, Garia did say they had a different name where she came from... let me see... scientists? Does that sound right?"

"It does... but a University? Do you know what was meant by that?"

"It is supposed to be a place of higher learning, so I was told, but I have little idea what that means, or how it will function, but it sounds to me a perfect place for this project you describe."

"If it will be anything like the ones where Princess Garia came from, it will be exactly the right place to do it, First Director."

"As to the present, then. You are telling me that everyone else is safe so long as we keep drinking pel."

"There is a very small possibility that I could have jumped to the wrong conclusion, First Director. All my experience leads me to think I am right but I would not want you to act on my words without hearing that caution. Yes, I believe that everyone else is safe, which is a good thing since I was beginning to wonder where Tyra and I were going to be sleeping tonight."

Eriana smiled. "Have no fear, dearest. Tonight you and I shall share the cabin on the galley with Tyra, Nethra, Bennet and Semma nearby and most of my crew filling the lower deck. I have had enough of waiting."

"Is this wise, Eriana?"

"Once aboard the galley no-one beyond will know where anyone chooses to sleep, I deem. My men will not tell and I doubt our other crew members would do so either. Do you care?"

"Only that I am not sure of the legal position, Eriana. We don't want to cause a scandal and upset our status among the locals, having managed to get them on our side."

"Ah! I will have a word with Kalmenar. I doubt there will be much of a problem."

"Then I had better return inside. Sarrik has already gone off to have a wash and a lie-down, so I am on my own right now. You could send somebody for Karan, please."

"As you wish, Ursula. You will join us for our evening meal?"

"I hope so, Eriana - after I have had my own wash and rest." She remembered something. "Oh, and concerning our stranger. He is like me and Maralin and Princess Garia. He is not Anmar born but from somewhere else entirely."

* * *

"The Maker made the world, and the Sun, the moons and the stars above. The Maker made the plants and creatures within the world including ourselves. We do not know the Maker's purpose, and we do not know if the Maker has ever visited the world since it was made. All we know is that the world is the Maker's creation, not ours, and we have a responsibility to live in the world in such a way that it is kept as the Maker may have originally intended."

Vikzas shifted position so that the fading light of the setting sun better illuminated the parchment he read his words from. "To that end we offer to return the bodies of these men, who have no further use for them, so that the substance of which they are made can be used by the world again. We offer these bodies as a token of our responsibility and as the last act which they will make in the world. As their bodies turn to ash we will remember them and their presence in the world."

He turned to Eriana. "First Director, as the most senior person at this funeral I ask you: Are there any reasons why we should not proceed?"

She bowed her head towards him and then replied formally, "There are not. Let their bodies be returned to the world."

Vikzas raised an arm. In front of the long pyre for the pirates, three Zebrins turned and applied their flaming torches to the wood. In the other direction, Torban, Anthar and Lars applied their torches to the pyre for the victims of the pirates, six of whom had been already exhumed because their graves had been discovered under the site of the pyres, others being found nearby.

The assorted marines and other crews had labored hard to make certain the freshly-cut wood would burn, but it was still a while before both pyres were fully alight. Once the senior staff had assured themselves that was true and that nothing was likely to go wrong, they turned and headed for the mess tent. The rest of the watchers, Farals, Zebrins and former captives, dispersed back to their sleeping places. Behind them, a small perimeter guard made sure that the alarm would be raised if the flames began to threaten the closest parts of the forest.

"Maker, I'm glad that's over," Vikzas muttered. "Director, I am also glad that you pointed out what we would have faced had the surviving pirates been executed here! So many more bodies. Aye, I know a battle was fought but this was nothing like what we faced at Faralan."

"I agree, Marshal," Ursula replied. "but history tells us that every battle is different to the battles that were fought before. The important part is that we can now concentrate on the future."

"As you say. Ah, here we are."

Vikzas gestured at the bench for Ursula to sit first before seating himself beside her. The others also took seats around the same table so that all the senior officers were together. As the last men sat the mess staff began bringing out trays of mugs, goblets, jugs of wine and pots of steaming pel. Once everyone had a drink in front of them Eriana, at the end of the table, stood.

"This is the first time we have all been able to meet together, I deem. I am a woman of action, I do not intend to waste my days making this a regular occurrence like some people I know, but I considered it needful that all were made certain of each others' plans for the next few days. Since much depends on the health of the captives we released I will ask Ursula to begin."

Eriana sat down and Ursula stood.

"Some of you will have heard my announcement earlier," she began. "I will repeat it here so there can be no confusion. There is no danger to anyone in the camp or beyond from the man who is ill. What he appears to be suffering from is some kind of deficiency caused by the fact that he does not drink anything hot including pel." She shook her head. "I have no information why this should be so or what the deficiency is, but nobody else appears to have the same problem. That means that the previous schedule for the camp can resume immediately."

Vikzas waved a hand. "Director, if I may ask, what about the others who are not yet considered fit?"

Ursula grimaced. "Unfortunately, that is most of those who were captives. A small number, those who were considered trusties by the pirates, are fit since they had been used to do the pirates' dirty work, including such tasks as digging graves, hauling clean water and chopping firewood. The rest," she shrugged, "some can walk around the camp, others cannot even manage that. There does not appear to be much wrong with any of them that good food, lots of it, and gentle exercise will not solve in time.

"There are also a small number in the Sick Tent," she continued, "who are there because they have minor physical injuries. Some of those will not be able to leave the camp on their own two feet but will have to be assisted. Marshal Vikzas, I assume that you will be able to get them out to the Sirrel and onwards to Bibek?"

"Of course, Director. Evacuating the injured will be a useful exercise for my men."

Torban asked, "Director, how long do you think it will be before these men can be moved? I am thinking ahead, it cannot be more than a month before the Rains arrive."

"From a healer's point of view a small number could be moved immediately. I would allow a week before some of the more fit could join them. Some of the others, unfortunately, might take longer. They may have to be moved in the same way that the physically injured are. First Director?"

Eriana said, "I had hoped to remain at Hamalbek no longer than a week, gentlemen. You must needs understand that my crew and myself had intended to return all the way to Palarand before these Rains begin. If we stay here much longer then that would not be possible, so I understand."

Vikzas spread his hands wide. "First Director, I have no doubt that His Grace would accommodate you, your people and your ship should you be forced to remain in Bibek until the Rains cease. If you determine that you must needs depart, however, you can leave the tidying up of Hamalbek to my men and those of Zebrin. We will make certain that your commands are obeyed, you are after all our superior officer."

"The Federation Navy thanks you for your support, gentlemen. Ursula, have you any more to add from your healer's point of view?"

"No, First Director, and there is little to add from the welfare point of view either. The Zebrins have set up an efficient camp for us for which I am grateful."

"As you say! We will be using this camp as our model, I deem. Thank you, Ursula, now let us hear from others. Marshal Vikzas, if we may hear your thoughts."

"I can only thank you and Director Ursula for your remarks, First Director. I do have a point or two worth mentioning. First, like you I thought the two Yodan galleys to be stuck here, literally, until after the Rains have ceased. I was concerned that, as the river rose, they might be swept up against the forest and stranded there, unusable, when the waters receded once more. To that end I thought to provide anchor blocks of concrete nearby that they may be tethered somewhere where the waters would always be.

"However, Captain Manuf has inspected both vessels and he assures me that, since they are both partially stripped, they could be removed with little trouble to the Sirrel. Captain? If you would explain."

Manuf stood. "Aye, Marshal. As functioning galleys these vessels would indeed be trapped inside the port until the waters rose once more. That is because they would have the weight of maybe sixty to seventy men, their equipment, armor, weapons, supplies and ship's fittings to add to the weight of what you can see. As you mentioned, though, if both vessels should be completely stripped, even of the ballast in both, they could be towed out into the Sirrel, refitted as may be and then taken to Bibek or some other safe port. The galley which has already been completely stripped cannot be rowed, however, lacking even a rudder. It must needs be towed to a shipyard for reconstruction."

Zoran asked, "I have wondered what use might be made of such a vessel. It seems to me that much effort and coin would be used to restore it, while I know the River Patrol already has access to other former Yodan galleys. Might it not be better to save valuable time and effort by simply scrapping the hulk?"

Vikzas said to Eriana, "He raises a good point, First Director. Is that vessel worth the time and effort? There is much else that must needs be done here at Hamalbek."

Eriana nodded. "You are probably right, Marshal. Perhaps we should only remove the more complete of the two galleys and leave the other one here. Agreed?"

There were nods and "agreed"s from around the table but Ursula raised a hand.

"I think you are all missing a useful point, gentlemen. What you have here is a complete hull but without the fittings normally used by the rowers and deck crew. I would suggest taking it to Bibek where it can be fitted with a new lower deck, containing a steam engine, as an experiment to see how that method would work in an existing hull design. There would be little to lose if it does not work but it would save having to build a hull which might then not be suitable."

Vikzas looked puzzled. "Director? I do not understand what purpose this steam engine would serve. If such a device fills the lower hull then where would the rowers sit? Each end, perhaps, or mayhap above on deck? That would be awkward!"

"If there were a steam engine installed, Marshal, you would not need any rowers. The purpose of the steam engine would be to turn large paddle wheels either side or perhaps to turn a screw propeller fitted beneath the stern. You would of course need a small crew to feed the engine with fuel and water but you would not need anything like so many people."

"Do you tell me? If that is so then by all means let us take the hull to Bibek. First Director, it seems I overlooked some of the implications of steam engines when His Grace demonstrated the one he brought back from Palarand. If you could explain to all of us."

Eriana snorted. "Not me, Vikzas! It is Ursula who has the knowledge of steam power. Ursula?"

"First Director. I should tell you all that steam power is still used in parts of the land where I come from but we have mostly progressed to other methods now. However, I can tell you what you need to know. A steam engine works by turning the force of steam in the boiler into a mechanical rotary motion. This can be used -"

* * *

Eriana closed the door of the cabin which had formerly belonged to the galley's captain. The bed was merely a padding of blankets on the deck but both Eriana and Ursula were used to sleeping on improvised bedding. There was a bunk but it would have been too narrow for two people.

"Finally!" she muttered quietly. "If I have learned anything by this separation, it is that I do not like being separated from you, Ursula. I trust that it will not happen very often in our futures."

"The future is whatever it is, Eriana," Ursula responded from where she lay on the blankets, partially clothed. "Two weeks ago we had no idea any of this was going to happen. When you think what we have seen and done since leaving Joth I am no longer surprised by whatever comes next. Grakh, Kaldar, Yod city, Bakhrad, Wadek, Karan and Zakaros, Pakmal, Toshi, Zebrin and now here! I have probably forgotten some."

"Aye," Eriana agreed, folding herself down beside Ursula. "And it is even worse for me! You cannot imagine what has happened to me and my crew since we ground ashore in Plif. This land has given us some amazing adventures and I am not sure that I would have said no to any of them... though I grant I was reluctant when I first arrived at Palarand. How could I have been so stupid?"

"You have not said much about your time in Palarand. At least, not when you first arrived."

Eriana's fair skin was red but the dim light of the lantern fortunately hid most if it.

"Aye, and with reason, Ursula. Before I met Garia I was naught but a spoiled girl-child and my behavior then shames me now. Shall you hear the tale or do you desire something more... physical?"

"Actually, I am somewhat tired after what happened today, Eriana. Perhaps a cuddle tonight and we should be refreshed tomorrow night."

"Hah! And here you are telling me to beware the dice throw of the future. Only the Norns know what is to come, I deem. Come, let us gently enjoy each other's touch, then."

Eriana's arm reached out and two bodies came together.

~o~O~o~

As always, when Ursula came back to wakefulness there were the distant sounds of men beginning the morning's activities. The soft movement of feet overhead, a muttered conversation, an occasional curse, told her it was probably time to get up once more. The cabin had no windows, portholes or other openings to the outside, only a grilled duct in one corner to admit fresh air, so there was little light to give her an estimate of the time but the external sounds were enough.

"Hnh?"

Eriana moved as Ursula disentangled herself and carefully rose. It was the work of seconds to arrange herself and pull on the ship dress she had worn the previous evening. It would do until she had been to the bathing tent. With a brief look at the half-asleep Princess, Ursula slipped on her sandals and went out, quietly closing the door behind her.

Of course Lars was waiting outside. He gave her a respectful nod of greeting.

«Princess sleeps?» he whispered.

«Yes, but not for long, I do not think,» she whispered back, «I could hear men moving about,» she poked a finger up at the deck above, «and that will soon wake her up. Do you know if Tyra is up yet?»

He shook his head. «Not yet, Mistress. Is there something you need her for? Can I help instead?»

She gave him a look. «Thank you, Lars, no, I need female help this time. I have to go to the latrine.»

He grinned back. «I understand, Mistress. Semma is above with Nethra, you could all go together. Tyra and Bennet will go with Princess if needed.»

«Thank you, Lars.»

On deck Semma gave her a quiet salute while Nethra thought about curtseying before abandoning the idea.

"Good morning, both. I need to go to the latrine and then possibly the bathing tent. Coming?"

"As you desire, Mistress," Semma replied. "We were just waiting for you or Her Highness before we went ourselves. Lars said it made sense to go in groups while there were so many men around in the camp."

"He is right but I do not think any man now in the camp would dare to give any of us trouble," Ursula said. "There are too many here who would come to our defense and the few who might try something know that. Shall we go?"

On the ground Ursula asked, "What about the women on the Green Ptuvil? Do they have buckets to be disposed of?"

"Oh, no, Mistress," Nethra replied. "Some Faral marines appeared the moment somebody came on deck and offered to take their wastes away. Those who slept on board are already awake and awaiting breakfast to be brought from the mess tent."

"Oh, yes, we talked about that yesterday evening. I hope that isn't going to cause too much of a problem."

"Mistress, since today is the first time the Zebrins will have fed us I could not say. We will not be here long enough, I deem, for any problem to become apparent."

When they reached the bathing tent they found that there had been changes. The tubs and other equipment were in the same places but a canvas screen had been tightly laced across the width of the tent, with a separate external entrance, isolating a quarter of it for use by the women in the camp. This meant that they could now bathe without interfering with activity in the other, larger portion and vice versa.

"Not so much space but more privacy," Nethra declared.

"As you say. Do you need any help with that, Mistress?"

"Thank you no, Semma. I do like wearing these ship dresses! They make our lives so much easier, I deem. Ah, the water is just right today. Yesterday I found it a little warm."

Ursula said, "It is up to us to mix the water to get the temperature we want but yesterday we had freshly boiled water and it was too hot." She eased herself into the tub beside Nethra. "Ah, that is good. How are you feeling now, Nethra? I do not see any bruises on you from here."

"To my surprise I feel quite well, Mistress. There is still weakness in my arms and legs, that is to be expected after so long being confined, but the fresh air and good food have made a great difference to me. I find that I can think more clearly now and you should know that the attentions of a good man have made me think anew of my future."

"I am pleased to hear that, Nethra. Do remember that you will not be able to shrug off a long period of captivity just like that. Lars will help but you will have to do most of the work yourself. Do not try to force it but take a steady pace and you will have a better outcome."

"As you say, Mistress."

"What of the others? Are they improving as well? I am mostly concerned about the two Yodan girls."

"They still struggle, Mistress, but I do not think they fear the men of the camp. Ah, the Zebrins or the Farals, that is. Of those who the pirates held captive, they are less certain, but so far we have seen few of those folk wandering near our vessels. Matta and Vellana were held the longest, they were villagers who had less contact with outsiders, it is natural it will take them longer. But, Mistress, I do believe their attitude is now positive instead of rejecting everything and everyone."

"I am pleased to hear that. What about Banest and Larys?"

Nethra nodded. "Like myself they are now coming to terms with their new lives, Mistress. It will take time but there should be no further difficulties there, I deem. Good food, exercise and being near Her Highness's men is all they should require."

"Oh? Anything I should know about?"

"Not yet, Mistress, it is much too soon. I have noticed one or two... conversations... though, and mayhap my own example has given them ideas. Do you object?"

"Me? Not at all, Nethra, but I like to keep an eye on developments in the crew. Who knows, someone might have future need of my services."

"Ah, as you say, Mistress!"

It was later that morning, as the women who could leave the Green Ptuvil gathered in the mess tent for breakfast. Ursula was considering a second mug of pel when the table was approached by Karan and Kaldar.

"Ah, Highness, if I may have leave to speak with Mistress Ursula?"

Eriana inclined her head. "Of course, Karan. We are nearly finished here so you do not interrupt anything."

"Mistress," Karan turned to Ursula, "I have given Kaldar his potions this morning as you instructed."

"Thank you, Karan, that is a great help," she replied. "But there seems to be a problem."

"As you say, Mistress. Kaldar?"

"Mistress," Kaldar croaked. Ursula immediately held up a hand.

"Stop right there, Kaldar. Turn around a little, please, so that the light is on your face, and open your mouth."

Ursula peered inside, then sat back and studied Kaldar's face and neck.

She asked him, "Is it sore?"

"No, Mistress." The words came out a little smoother.

"How long has this been going on? Days? Weeks?"

"Not that long, Mistress. Some days. Then when you said about a mystery illness in the camp I thought that maybe -"

He paused, looking worried.

"You thought you might have the same thing? Is that what you thought?"

"Aye, Mistress." He stood waiting.

"Fortunately for you, I do not think that you suffer from any illness, unless growing up into a man could be said to be an illness."

"Mistress?"

She smiled at Kaldar. "I think your voice is beginning to break, Kaldar. It looks like those potions are beginning to work."

His face lit up. "Really, Mistress? It is true?"

"I think so. It will take some time for your voice to break properly so do not expect any immediate changes. Let me have a look every day or so just to make sure it is not something else, but I am almost certain that it is an indication the potions are doing what you want them to do."

"Ah, thank you, Mistress! It is exactly what I wanted them to do but never thought it was possible."

"As you say, but remember, I have never tried this before so we have no experience of the process. You are also young and many boys' voices do not break until they are a year or more older than you are now. Do not assume that everything will work as intended."

"I will remember your warnings, Mistress, and thank you again."

Ursula looked up at Karan. "Satisfied?"

"Aye, Mistress. It is an unusual ailment, if one may describe it as an ailment, and the treatment is also something I would not have considered. I am pleased that it is not something more serious."

"As you say. We have enough problems around the camp without -" She broke off and scowled.

"Mistress?"

"Our mystery patient. I suspect he will occupy most of my morning. What else have you to do today?"

"I will look at those of Her Highness's men who have injuries, Mistress, and change any dressings that require it. After that, by your leave, I will ask where I might be useful in the camp today."

Ursula thought then nodded. "That sounds about right, Karan. Come and report to me just before lunch, if you can."

"As you desire, Mistress."

Karan bowed and departed, accompanied by Kaldar. Ursula looked at her empty mug, shook her head and stood.

"By your leave, Highness."

"Of course, Ursula. Do you need my presence?"

"To begin with, the fewer distractions around us, the better it will be, I think. If and when he begins to make sense then I will call for you. You know why."

"As you say. As for me, I suspect I may spend some time aboard the galleys, making them ready for departure. I am sure that someone will find me if I am needed."

"Thank you, Highness." Ursula looked across the table at her assistant, who had watched the whole proceedings. "Coming, Tyra?"

up
127 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Pleasant surprise!

Two chapters in a week!

The logistics of extricating themselves from this situation and being able to get back to Palarand before the rains is quite the administrative nightmare it seems.

I mean, there is the humanitarian fronts of funerals, setting up a camp that can support the effort, nursing back to health the abused and ill and ultimately repatriating them to there countries where possible etc. It is a full on humanitarian crisis.

But out of all this, it is providing the future river patrol/service the experience of coordinating with each other to handle whatever will come.

It has become a training ground as well as indirectly providing a test bed for development of future technologies.

There is just so much that is going on.

Finally, it is likely they will have another passenger and possible crew member on the way back as this new transferee will need orientation.

I am always pleased as punch when an Anmar tale comes out.

Too much plot

I have probably overdone the Hamalbek incident but you know what they say about unintended consequences. This time, I think, Eriana is just going to have to leave it all behind in order to return downriver before the Rains. (Hmm. Thinks. That might mean she is upriver for part of next year when Garia is due back. Have to factor that in.)

Of course setting up a whole military service was always going to become a very large project and we are seeing what happens when that does, from the very beginning. There is probably a whole tale to be written about that and the things that happen but that isn't the focus of this particular story. (Waves hands)(Details happen in the background)(Waves hands)

Another passenger? Very likely, depending where he does come from. Writing Ketko could become very interesting.

Penny

The return...

Aine Sabine's picture

Down river doesn't need to extend past Garcia's arrival. If I understand the Seasons of Anmar correctly, there are a few months, which are longer than ours, between the end of the Rains and Mid Winter. We know the Visond is not back during the Rains, but according to Robanar, Eriana is at port during the Mid Winter celebration, per your story of Maralin. Those few months should be enough to get her back to Palarand. Providing nothing happens, which you control. ;-)

Aine

I control?

You jest, surely. Controlling this mess is much worse than herding cats. My characters apparently know what they are doing but it is only occasionally that I get given a little hint or so. All I can do is keep pounding around on this hamster wheel and keep writing what they tell me.

Penny

I love it!

Aine Sabine's picture

Actually, I have some theories concerning that. Maybe I'll do a blog post sometime to explain my theory. It sounds like you may agree with it. If I do I may send you the link to ensure you see it.

Aine

First....

Aine Sabine's picture

Let me say, I hope you are feeling well. Secondly, Thank you so much for the second chapter. I was not expecting one so wasn't really watching for one. I just happened to refresh the Tales of Anmar page on my browser out of habit. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
You have a most glorious way of giving us cliff hangers! I really want to know where our mysterious transferred is from. This is getting exciting.
As the previous commentor said, there are many things to do before they can head back to Palarand, but we know from other stories, that they don't. I can't wait to see where they end up residing for the Rains.
Thanks again!

Aine

Thank you

Yes, for some reason this one was easier to write, wheras the previous one was delayed by any number of interruptions.

It wasn't that I didn't know what to write, it was everything else that was going on. Which, fortunately, does not include my health at the moment. Not much has changed except that the pharmacist at my surgery keeps insisting I take more and more medications, and I haven't even had an op yet! On that front I'm still on a waiting list so it is mostly business as usual though I can't do any heavy work like gardening.

Our mystery man is going to give everyone headaches including me. You'll see why in a little while when the truth dawns. Meanwhile, there's a fair bit of juggling to be done with people and places and not a lot of time to do it. Most things can be handled but the date of the Rains was fixed by Julia and that means another (plot) deadline for me. Fun times.

Penny

Thank you, for another great chapter!

Deanna M August's picture

Big closet is one of my favorite places to find reading material. Your writings are one of the reasons I loved to return to this site. I have some physical and mental challenges that prevent me from reading and writing. I
I greatly appreciate all of your well constructed, interesting stories. Let me add my sincere thank you. For sharing with all of us readers eagerly a lot more of your writing. I hope your health continues to improve to allow you to provide us with some more great reading. One of my problems is that I'm a bit of a perfectionist. Your personal problems don't seem stop your excellent writing. I tend to ramble on, so I'll stop with another sincere thank you, thank you!
Deanna August

Aloha. Sincerely Deanna

Canopy for the Visund

BarbieLee's picture

Am I mistaken, wasn't the Visund fitted with a canopy which was removed and stored before Eriana and crew set out? Even if they have one, moving on a river that is bound to get faster and larger with the rain is not going to be a ride anyone would relish. White Water rafting in a ship, now that would be a rush.
I'm thinking Ursula wasn't understanding the man's jumbled mutterings because nothing was coherent. Yet she has a suspicion he was one of those transported from another world. What is his purpose on this world?
Hugs Miss Lane
Barb
Life has some bumps and potholes along the way. Try and not make an abyss out of a gopher hole.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Canopy

You're right about the canopy, but you were supposed to 'overlook' that feature until the Rains actually arrive :)

It won't help them much except right at the start, since the river will become unusable almost immediately. Have a look at the beginning of this chapter to get an idea of the problem. The river, of course, would be worse, since the banks would be far apart and the course of the river invisible. Think of it like driving in thick fog. Without headlights.

It would enable them to move during a normal rainstorm, perhaps a sustained period that would last more than a bell or two and the need was urgent. It means dismounting the mast but that is apparently an easy thing on Norse longships.

About Ketko: yes, he was feverish so some, but not all, of his mutterings would have been just rambling. It may not have been immediately apparent but it requires the transferee to hear a certain amount of a new language before it clicks into use in their brain. Having a fever in your speaker wouldn't help.

How Ursula uses this new language will be revealed in a chapter or two. There are potential problems revealing her abilities here.

Penny

It seems Karan

Is well on her way to becoming a man. So do the muscles start developing from here?

Name confusion

Karan is the Yodan junior doctor. Kaldar/Kaldara is the F2M young person and yes, muscles will soon begin to develop, although he has a lot of growing to do yet. He is now having the right kind of attention from the older Norse and they are treating him as they would a proper ship's boy.

I would expect (i) his partially-developed breasts to shrink, (ii) his shoulders to widen and lastly he would begin to grow much taller.

Girls would be taller if their Human Growth Hormone wasn't stolen by puberty to help develop their girl parts. Still, it seems most of them don't mind.

Penny