Knowing Yourself - Chap-07

Printer-friendly version
TFtSS-KY-A.jpg
Knowing Yourself:
Chapter Seven

by
Lilith Langtree
T. D. Aldoennetti

Into the Valley of Death, or... ‘What do you mean... Audience?’

We are in the RV and on our way by 7:30 and Tanner figures we will just make our arrival time to begin to set up. I’m not exactly dressed to help with that and remind him. He again takes this moment to assuage me and to give me a bit of a heads-up as to what’s coming down.

 © 2010 by Lilith Langtree & Rénae Dáºmas. This work may not be replicated or presented in whole or in part by any means electronic or otherwise without the express consent of the work’s Owner (copyright holder), with the exception of the private and non-commercial viewing by the reader who is also the end purchaser. ALL Rights Reserved, including but not limited to ownership of Characters, final content decision, and more. This is a work of Fiction. All the characters and events portrayed in this story are fictional and any resemblance to real people or incidents past, present or future is purely coincidental. Any and all images which may be shown within this work are taken through license under Corel with the exception of the title image which is Photo Credit to Irina Sheik. No affiliations, involvement or gender assignations through the use of these or any images of the subject or subjects contained within those posted images is to be implied, intended or inferred.
An Aldoennetti & Langtree Original.

“Not a problem, I’ll grab a couple of warm bodies to help drag everything in. When we get there the first thing we’ll do is take a look at the room and I’ll plan my equipment locations. You’ll go off with Irina to have your makeup done and when the client and their people arrive, you may change into the first outfit. We’re going to borrow a room which is being set up for a fashion show which starts tomorrow so don’t panic when you see the runway. We’ll use it but you don’t need to do anything special. It’s just a convenient prop, and it will give you a chance to see what it’s like on a runway. Ask Irina and he’ll help you a bit so you may pull it off with a little idea of how things are done.”

When he said there would be a runway, my eyes must have become as big as saucers. I almost forgot I still need coffee.

“We’ll get some at the hotel. Not to worry, Katrina. We’ll take good care of you.”

I hope so. We finally arrive a few minutes before eight and park around the back so the equipment may be brought in without blocking the lobby. As he said, Tanner almost immediately makes arrangements for my coffee but warns me that I need to begin cutting back on it just as I did on potatoes and that other stuff. We finally make it into a large room which could readily handle a banquet and more. There is a low stage and, true to his word, there is a runway extending down from the stage and nearly fifty feet into the audience area reaching about three quarters of the way from the stage to the entry doors. At a guess they could seat about 500 in the room even with the runway sticking out like that.

I see Irina setting up at a remote corner of the stage and walk over to find a way up onto the stage then go over to Irina for my makeup session.

“Good Morning Schatzi. Isn’t this wonderful? I told you we would make lots of that nice green stuff together. Here sit for Irina and I’ll begin your make up. The highlights will need to wait until I see what you are first wearing but we may begin.”

He continues to banter as he works on my face, frowning whenever I need to take a sip of coffee.

The client shows about half past and Tanner is just putting the finishing touches on his equipment placement before wiring everything together.

After Irina finishes his initial work on my face I begin to pump him for information about walking and standing on the runway. He is a veritable fountain of information including how to walk and to place my feet as well as turning and holding my head up rather than watching where I am walking, which shouldn’t be too difficult, plus a lot of other tips. He shoos me over to the runway where he guides me through it several times and it doesn’t seem all that hard except for the one foot before the other but pointed slightly outward. As I don’t walk that way all that much it is something on which I need to concentrate. I find that walking that way tends to cause my hips to exaggerate their movement slightly but I suppose I could get used to it. Thinking back to my memories of most of the models I seem to remember them all walking that way most of the time.

Just one more piece of the puzzle to add to my collection so my actions match my appearance.

The client is finally finished with controlling her minions and she heads on over toward Tanner who sees her coming and breaks away from the setup of his laptops and synchronizer. I can see he is going all out with all his strobes and the three tripod mounted cameras are in place, one of which is on the runway itself pointing back at the stage. The pan and tilt mechanisms are on the tripods and have the heat/motion detectors attached so they will follow me as I walk on the runway. He really is going all out. I see the automatic focus remote zoom lenses are also attached to the cameras and to the detectors. I’ve never seen him use all this stuff at once so this must be an important shoot. Why did he pick me if it’s so important? He knows I don’t have any experience.

“Katrina. KAT, could you come down here a minute?”

I sway my way down the runway with the three cameras tracking me. That’s really scary. Sort of reminds me of the ‘War of the Worlds’ and those tripod machines which were creating such devastation. I almost expect them to start following me walking along the side of the runway.

“Yes, Tanner?”

“Katrina, this is Ellen. Ellen... Katrina Van Derholt. Katrina will be modeling your creations this morning.”

“Katrina...”

“Pleased to meet you, Ellen.”

“Now Katrina, listen closely. After each change, Irina will be adjusting your makeup and hair then when he finishes I want you to walk to the center edge of the stage and stand there ready to walk the runway. When you see the first strobes fire, begin to walk the runway until you reach the point where you are directly between the two cameras which are positioned out to the sides of the runway.” I turn my head and look at the spot he’s talking about then nod as I turn my head back to continue to listen to him.

“Stand at that spot for a moment then slowly turn a full circle until you are aimed back at the stage. Pause again, and then walk back up to the stage and go for the next change. After that it all repeats beginning once again with the next change and Irina. Got that?”

“Yes, I understand.”

“Good. Ellen is going to remain down here with me along with a half dozen of her people. There are several others who will help you change and while you are changing and Irina is taking care of things I will download the photos from the cameras to the computers. I’m likely to be almost anywhere with the handheld so don’t be surprised if you see some flashes from anywhere to the sides. The first creation we may do twice. I might want to see what it looks like with the lights up and then once again with the house lights down. That will tell me how I want to shoot the rest. If I do all the shooting with the house lights down then there are little red lights similar to the idea of lights on either side of an airport runway to guide you. They will indicate the edges of the runway. Keep your head up and only look down with your eyes.”

“Okay, Tanner. I understand.”

“Do you want to try it once right now just to see what it will be like?”

“Could I? I mean... Yes, I think I would like to do that. Every place is a little different and a practice run might not be a bad thing for me.”

Ellen smiles, “Why don’t you go back to the stage and then he may start you the same way as if you are modeling one of my creations. That will give me a chance to see you in action as well as allow you to get a feel for the lights and action.”

“Thank you.” I walk back to the stage as the cameras follow my every move. They still remind me of that movie, just smaller and they aren’t walking along with me.

I’m at the stage and ready to walk. A few moments later there is a flash from a strobe out to my right and I begin walking down the runway placing my feet as Irina said to do it, trying hard not to trip myself while also trying to make it look like I’ve done this a thousand times. This isn’t easy. The strobes lined along the runway have been flashing three or four times a second and I don’t understand how they could do that so rapidly without some of the shots overlapping. I reach the stopping point and the flashes continue. I perform my turn desperately trying to remember how the models I’ve watched have done it. Eventually I end up aimed back at the stage, finally walking back before stopping at the stage where I turn to face the seating once again.

I hear Ellen saying something and Tanner replying as I continue to stand there.

“KATRINA. Can you hear me okay?”

“Yes.”

“I’m having the house lights dimmed quite a bit and then I will cue you and I would like you to do it again but in the subdued light. This time there will be several follow spots tracking you so don’t look directly at them either or you may not be able to see the runway and I don’t want you to fall off.”

HE doesn’t want me to fall off? Does he think I want to do it?

“I understand.”

It seems like I’m standing there forever but it is probably only a minute or maybe two before the house lights go out and we are in the dark as my eyes are attempting to adjust then the lights come up just a bit. I can just make out the seats and the cleared area where Tanner has been moving around so this isn’t too bad. The little red lights on the runway are now fully visible to me so I don’t see what the fuss is all about. Suddenly I can’t see a thing and there are several lights trained on me. The area around me is bathed in light for perhaps ten feet but beyond that all is darkness even those little red lights.

I’m still considering this development when a strobe flashes off to my left this time and it takes me a moment to realise that was my cue to start walking. This time staying on the runway is a bit trickier. I have strobes going off all over the place and the spots are cutting my range of visibility down to next to nothing. Before I know it I’m in between the two cameras so I stop walking for a moment posing in place before doing a slow spin and winding up aimed back down the runway toward the stage... I hope. I faintly see the light red lights and begin my walk back to the stage gradually seeing more and more as I leave the strobes behind me and the angle of the spots becomes such that there is more of what’s ahead of me that is visible. I reach the stage and turn to face the audience area with a sigh of relief on my lips waiting for the strobes to stop triggering.

“That was good, Katrina. I like it much better with the house lights down so we will do the whole shoot like this. Go ahead back and change then have Irina take care of your make up and hair and we’ll begin.”

I nod and turn to go further onto the stage noticing someone coming to guide me over to where the clothing is hanging on the metal rack waiting for the human rack on which to hang,

As I turn, I hear Tanner beginning to talk to Ellen and the murmur of a low conversation falls away behind me as I am escorted off stage to change.

The changes take more time than I thought they would since the gowns and dresses are not quite my shape requiring them to be adjusted and pinned here and there to make them more presentable for the shoot. This is new to me as the static modeling shoots were not this particular and the clothing was a bit closer to my contours. I suppose the urgency of this shoot precluded the time to make such adjustments. That’s something else I think is a bit strange... In the couple of months I’ve worked for Tanner, we’ve had some sudden shoots but usually sudden is a day or two’s notice... not an hour or two.

I know he gets a higher premium for unscheduled shoots and usually the models do also so I’m beginning to wonder just how much this little job might pay. Sorry, I’ve got to be practical you know... I’m in this for the money, remember? Those little things like repairing my body and going to college so I may have a career all require that green stuff to begin things rolling.

~O~

The two eggs and slice of toast I had for breakfast have long since gone by the wayside, or the runway perhaps, and my stomach is just beginning to complain when the final gown has been reached. This one is really dreamy and I love it. If I could take any of them this would be the one but these are all likely extremely expensive one time creations so I will need to wait until the less expensive knock offs start to show up before I may have one. I’ll bet this one goes for three or four and that’s a little outside my price range... yeah, by about twenty or thirty times. If I want to save money for my operations and College I better stop thinking about buying clothing so often. What am I doing buying so many clothes anyway? It isn’t like I’m going to be wearing them once I get repaired.

A hint of sadness crosses my mind at the thought and I’m not certain if it’s because I can’t fix the problem for a couple of years yet or if...

I realize I’m over at Irina who has been diligently working on my face again making me look as I should for this gown and the event it for which it screams out that it was intended. He finishes and I look in the mirror. Something isn’t right. I stand there for a bit trying to place the nature of the problem.

“Schatzi, what’s wrong?”

“I don’t know. I don’t think this looks right.”

“What? The gown, your make up? Let Irina get another look... But you look nice Schatzi. What is wrong?”

I’m still looking and holding my hair and looking some more.

“It’s my hair...” I pull it back hard so most of it is hidden away behind my head. “Doesn’t this look better?” as I turn and face him.

“Here, come sit again and let Irina look.”

He holds my hair a number of different ways before finally drawing it back and piling most of it into a small roll at the back of my head. He fastens it and has me look again.

“Yes... that’s it. Thank you, Irina.” I give him a little peck on the cheek then prance/flow out to my position on the stage.

A few moments later it all begins again. I walk the runway placing my feet just so and the confidence gained during the past five gowns and dresses now wrapped up carefully into the best presentation I may give in order to properly present this marvelous creation I’m wearing.

When I make it back to the stage and the strobes stop firing the spots go out and I’m momentarily blind. Slowly the house lights come up again and I am able to see a bit, looking back to see Ellen’s reaction to the presentation. She and Tanner are in a conference looking at the screen of one of the laptops. I am able to see photos coming up on the screen only to flash away and be replaced by others. My vision has not completely returned but I do see several dozen people out there. Most of them shadows far at the back of the room with about a dozen close in along the runway. It’s funny, I couldn’t see them while I was walking by; the spotlights and strobes blinded me so. Now with the house lights up and my eyes beginning to come back to normal, I can see them much more easily. Most of those in the back are now departing with only three or four still there, some of whom are writing or conferring together.

I go off to change back to my street clothes and when I return to have Irina change my makeup to match those clothes and normal daily wear, I see nearly everyone has gone. Tanner has not put anything away as yet. He is talking with some man who is vaguely familiar. I think about it and remember he looks something like one of the ones who was seated at the rear of the room. Irina repairs my makeup and puts my hair right once again so I don’t “develop a headache from having it pulled back so hard.” Too late.

Walking off the stage as Irina begins packing his kits, I make my way to Tanner who is still busy talking with whomever the man happens to be. They are exchanging cards even as I approach from behind the man who is now walks past Tanner toward the room exit.

“How did I do? Was that all right?”

“It was great, Katrina. So great that both Ellen and Pendercot both want you to model their things over the next three days.”

“Three days?..” The light suddenly dawns, “You mean on the runway??? In the SHOW???” My voice probably goes up an octave or two in surprise and disbelief. “I... I can’t... I mean... I don’t know how. I’ll look like I don’t know what I’m doing. I mean, I don’t know what I’m doing. You saw. This is the first time I ever did this and it was really frightening.”

“You could have fooled me. And both of them and a number of others from their companies. You looked quite professional up there. I don’t think the fashion reporters figured it out either, although if Ellen had realized they were there she would likely have chased them out until the show itself, but a little advance publicity never hurts.”

“But I knew it didn’t matter. I knew if I made a mistake we could do it over. I mean... In the SHO...” I suddenly realise he said ‘reporters’. My voice suddenly becomes very small, “Reporters? There were reporters? Mom will see me in the paper? Oh God, if she tells Dad, I’m dead.”

I’m so stunned I don’t know if I should laugh or cry.

“And in the show??? Oh God, I can’t do it in the SHOW. At best the other models will think I’m pretentious. They’ll think I’m a fraud. And they’ll be right on both counts.”

“Hey, Kat. Better you do it and get paid all that nice money or someone else will do it and you’ll get nothing.”

“But I’ve never... I can’t... They all have years of experience and this show is important. If I mess up then it means a lot of money to the company whose product I’m modeling and that means there could be people losing their jobs just because I don’t know what I’m doing.”

“Kat, come over here. Look at some of these photos and at the short clips taken by that camera. In fact let’s look at the clip of that last gown you modeled since you had a little experience under your belt by the time you did that one.”

He took movies of me. I didn’t know he took movies of me. The camera on the runway can take movies?

We are about to watch the movie when Irina walks up to join us. The movie begins playing as we silently watch. Yes, a lot of the mistakes I made in the early gowns are gone. I’ve learned a lot and the last presentation looks pretty good. No, I’m not patting myself on the back. I’m trying to remain detached and just carefully observing that which I see.

Irina grabs me in a hug, “Oh Schatzi. You are so good. We will make all kinds of nice money and you will be known all over the world.”

Oops, wrong thing to say. Tanner sees my face switch from stunned pleasant surprise at a job well done, to stunned shock and fright at being a famous or perhaps infamous model should my secret ever get out which, knowing Dad, would happen about thirty seconds after he sees my picture. Or maybe... Maybe it won’t. He might be so embarrassed that he will hope no one recognises me and, if I’m lucky, he won’t say anything but just kill me if I go home. Why am I doing this? Oh, yeah. All that nice money.

~O~
~O~

(Chap 7 of 28)
to be continued

up
267 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Classic

Shatzi's a fast learner and her reactions are classic. I enjoy this story a lot.

Linda Jeffries
Too soon old, too late smart.

Linda Jeffries
Too soon old, too late smart.
Profile.jpg

Such fun!

I really don't think that dad will recognize "Katrina", even if he should see pictures of the model. What could become rather uncomfortable is if good ole' dad starts drooling over the hot, new girl on the fancy runway!

SuZie

SuZie

Doubt Kat's parents will find out

I mean, really, when was the last time a new model gets so widely publicized? Besides, between the makeup and clothes, Kat will look a lot different.

However, there are practical problems with becoming really famous, the need for a legend as Kat of course does not have a real history, a common problem among us. Luckily being so young helps a bit but still, the press will want to interview him/her.

The number of supermodels in the world are relatively few. If Kat were to ever achieve supermodel status then I suspect pretty soon the early clients of Kat will boast that they were the first clients to recognize such an up and coming hot model. In a very subtle bit of foreshadowing I think, the client is finding the need to pin and adjust the gowns, meaning they did not expect a model to have such a great figure, well maybe, as it is obviously easer to take in then to lengthen. At this point we have a hint at what Kat's figure is: 23 inch waist, B cup bust but no solid numbers for bust and hips.

Finally, the most telling part of this is when Kat is thinking about what it would be like to get that nice gown even if it is worth thousands and thousands of dollars.

Kim

Yeah. Like Dad would be expecting to see her!

More likely, he wouldn't notice, or be watching! Katrina needs to calm down. Even if he saw her and knew who she was, I belive the money she is making would forestall him.
I still think Katrina will be around a lot longer than Mac has in mind-and the "repairs" may be very different than expected. This is, of course, just my own theory. I;ll be impatient, but willing to wait and see how things pan out.
I'm mildly addicted to this story, and getting worse. More, please? I NEEEEED IT!

Wren

Hell I'd do it with out all that nice money

The English Teacher's picture

but I not stupid ether LOL

So much to read, so little time and only one of me :)

The English Teacher

So much to read, so little time and only one of me :)

The English Teacher

Nice

I am really enjoying this story.
Gina_Summer2009__2__1_.jpg
Hilltopper

Gina_Summer2009__2__1_.jpgHilltopper

Breath of Fresh Air

terrynaut's picture

I really like this. It gets a bit technical sometimes but it's all good. Sometimes, I can almost feel myself there, in the story, doing the modeling myself. So dreamy.

And yes, I don't think Kat's parents will recognize her. I think she's just fussing about it because she needs an outlet. She's really starting to like it and I think that scares her more than anything.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

A good one

Still, it seems to me a little that almost everyone around - Tanner, his sister, the doctors - aren't quite understanding how much they are pushing Kat. I guess a chapter or two more and there's going to be a phrase of 'too much, too fast', but then again, it's still going to be kinda fun! :)

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

True

they are pushing Kat hard but it is the nature of the business I suspect. Turning down opportunities would effectively kill future opportunities when done so early on in a career as it would make potential clients wonder about Kat's reliability and drive to be a good model.

OTOH, Tanner is really working with Kat in the right ways to bring out the best Kat has to offer.

Kim

As others have said...

...I doubt dad (or anyone else from 'before' for that matter) would connect Mac and Katrina.

Although in a couple of years time, if Katrina decides to go for the opposite surgery to what Mac was thinking of before the modelling project, the reaction on her parents' faces at the big reveal will be priceless!

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

May, can and could

janet_L.'s picture

A very good story if somewhat marred by technical errors.

[Grammar Nazi mode on.]

Someone must have downright traumatized you about can & may.

May is about permission, requesting and granting.

Can and could are about possibility.

How to demonstrate?

"I asked mother if I could eat a chocolate sundae, and she replied 'I'm sure you can.' I started to go into the ice cream shop, and she asked me where I was going. 'I didn't say you could have one.'

"I asked mother if I might have a chocolate sundae, and she said, 'Yes, you may.' and bought me one."

[Grammar Nazi mode off.]

It is a really good story. It's just that it could use a little light editing.

Teddi seemed to use the

Teddi seemed to use the 'olde' method of gramatical construction. 'May' was more refined than 'can' despite 'modern' definitions of same.

Since Teddi is no longer around to make such corrections (ex. Tyre and colour) I have allowed them to remain since they are a part of her heritage and the manuscripts (most of her stories).

Yes. In some stories she used 'can' but it seems she used it more to define someone who had a lessor station in life.

I, myself, do agree with your example.

Renae

God Bless You...
1996_pcc.jpg

Grammar

Renee_Heart2's picture

Pleass forgive me here I'm not one to throw rocks I suck at grammar too, but here it goes.... Janet the grammer you are talking about is more for elete class the more polished social class if you will. The grammmar in this story is using common every day language this is true for the middle class but educated maybe not to Yail standards but still high school level. Yes I'll agree we should use proper english like the British (no offence) however today we have just fallen away form it. It is so much easear to say "can I go over to Joes house?" then say may I go over to Joes house?

I'm not saying your wrong we need to use the proper way of speaking, however all I'm saying is this, story is taking place in just plane old middle class America & not in Buckham Pallace (I appoligize if I missspled it).
Love Samantha Renee Heart

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Great chapter.

Renee_Heart2's picture

Another great chapter hun. I feel for Kat she is as nervous as a long taled cat in a room full of rocking chairs. With the editing I think only an english major or teacher really notices unless it si so screwed up (& yea I have read several stroies where words are so mispelled it takes a cifer to decode them or you guss at the word.) I like how she has a say in her hair due. Like with the last dress if the hair dosen't look right for that dress it just dosen't look right,& the entire image dosen't look right. So with that in mind Kat is defently more of a girl then she gives her self credit for & defintly a modle to boot. I hope things go well at the show.

I look forard to reading more.
Love Samantha Renee Heart

Love Samantha Renee Heart